• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
@mogwai i said reliable combo, not reliable poke lol...

gragas has three skillshots; one of them can be blocked and the other two can miss/misfire if your opponent jukes you

maokai also has three skillshots; two of them are basically unavoidable and your root ensures the full damage of sapling

that's what i meant by more reliable combo
oh sure. but it's a combo that puts you in melee range and doesn't CC other than root 1 person -> melee range small knockup, so if you're building AP, you're extremely vulnerable to being disrupted/killed in the middle of it if you're jumping at more than 1 person. I view AP Maokai, Gragas, and Galio as variations on the same type of character. They're naturally a bit beefy, sustain in lane, poke in teamfights and then have some form of initiation. In terms of poke, Maokai is the least reliable, but he has the most re-usable CC/initiation. Unfortunately, I think that the poking is the most useful part of these characters as APs, because it's difficult to itemize tanky enough to dive in with Maokai's CC and still utilize his higher damage potential from AP.

Like, when I used to solo Maokai, I always found myself itemizing drings -> deathcap and then going, "Oh ****, I just want CDR and Tankiness now... FUUUUU," which led to me never really abusing the AP ratios because when I'd try, I'd just blow up in teamfights. Eventually my build changed to 2-3 drings -> sunfire + banshee's -> frozen heart, and I just accepted that I couldn't find a way to utilize the AP ratios and still be tanky enough at the right times so I just made myself a lower damage (but still decent) cc-bot. *shrug* that's my take on it anyway.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
oh sure. but it's a combo that puts you in melee range and doesn't CC other than root 1 person -> melee range small knockup, so if you're building AP, you're extremely vulnerable to being disrupted/killed in the middle of it if you're jumping at more than 1 person. I view AP Maokai, Gragas, and Galio as variations on the same type of character. They're naturally a bit beefy, sustain in lane, poke in teamfights and then have some form of initiation. In terms of poke, Maokai is the least reliable, but he has the most re-usable CC/initiation. Unfortunately, I think that the poking is the most useful part of these characters as APs, because it's difficult to itemize tanky enough to dive in with Maokai's CC and still utilize his higher damage potential from AP.

Like, when I used to solo Maokai, I always found myself itemizing drings -> deathcap and then going, "Oh ****, I just want CDR and Tankiness now... FUUUUU," which led to me never really abusing the AP ratios because when I'd try, I'd just blow up in teamfights. Eventually my build changed to 2-3 drings -> sunfire + banshee's -> frozen heart, and I just accepted that I couldn't find a way to utilize the AP ratios and still be tanky enough at the right times so I just made myself a lower damage (but still decent) cc-bot. *shrug* that's my take on it anyway.
Just to elaborate on this a bit more...

Imo, a majority of if you can build straight damage on melee aoe casters is the reliability of your CC/damage on multiple targets. It's just too difficult to land all of maokai's stuff on the ppl sitting in the back of teamfights to warrant a super squishy build. If you -can- land it all, then it's definitely worth it, but the aoe hitbox on all his stuff is really small, whereas champs like gragas, galio, rumble, etc all have big damage output on pretty sizable aoes with long ranges. Big difference.

MacD

Banned via Administration
that's interesting since you could make use of the active in cougar form

but it's rainman, a couple weeks ago was talking about how spirit visage was a really great item on teemo, then he doubted himself and wasn't sure

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
"health is good on teemo, and MR, and CDR... hmmmmmmm" and he had a wriggles....

idk, go ask rainman
Spirit Visage is already a pretty mediocre item on most champs. Like, he's paying so much extra money for that bonus regen thing, which on wriggles is frankly not all that much. Champs that often get Visage tend to have Wriggles on top of some natural regen/healing abilities b/c that's where most of the money goes.

If you want more Health and MR grab aegis or something, if you want the CDR and Health more grab Shurelia's and net yourself a neat MS boost and some mana regen to boot.

MacD

and that is why we should all laugh at zac's pic of rainman's nid build!

and maybe you should give that analysis to rainman, though i'm pretty sure he doesn't do that anymore

who knows, maybe next time it'll be "well, attack speed is good, and cdr, and AP doesn't hurt.... i'll get nashor's tooth"

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
"health is good on teemo, and MR, and CDR... hmmmmmmm" and he had a wriggles....

idk, go ask rainman
What's wrong with Wriggles?

Also how does Spirit Visage not make sense with Teemo?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Because you can just buy a Kindlegem and Negatron to get what he wants without wasting a bunch of gold on the Spirit Visage passive.

@Wave - I just get blues :p Though I've considered trying DFG or Morello's on him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
DFG could be interesting, since it builds from gp5.

Morello's doesn't (directly) give you any tankiness, so I personally wouldn't use it. On AP Maokai, it could be interesting. Boots2, RoA, DC, Void Staff, Hourglass doesn't leave you with much room, though.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I was thinking more DFG because you have to go in hard on one champ anyway, might as well guarantee you kill that one. The reason I do Hourglass, Abyssal and RoA is because it gives you a solid amount of resists and health while giving you damage on your spells at the same time. I feel you are sufficiently tanky to go in on teamfights once you have those up (though probably not to initiate unless you can isntagib someone).

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
DFG could be interesting, since it builds from gp5.

Morello's doesn't (directly) give you any tankiness, so I personally wouldn't use it. On AP Maokai, it could be interesting. Boots2, RoA, DC, Void Staff, Hourglass doesn't leave you with much room, though.
DFG is really cool cause it also scales with AP.

Shaco is such a bs champ

I hope they completely remake his jitbs or change him completely so he can't gank with red buff at like 2:00

If I had my way he'd be removed from the game like eve

:phone:

MacD

I was thinking more DFG because you have to go in hard on one champ anyway, might as well guarantee you kill that one. The reason I do Hourglass, Abyssal and RoA is because it gives you a solid amount of resists and health while giving you damage on your spells at the same time. I feel you are sufficiently tanky to go in on teamfights once you have those up (though probably not to initiate unless you can isntagib someone).
that's like my normal tanky AP build on everyone. well either rod or rylai's depending on the champ

like my fav AP mummy build is rylai's, zhonya's, abyssal, WotA, pointy hat and some shoes i guess

i love watching a mummy ult do like more than half the health of a squishy. too bad mummy can't lane :(

Kira-

Smash Champion
TSM are very good players, but regi and rainman say some of the stupidest ****.
they are also 2 of the coolest guys, TSM as a whole is so cool to listen to the team chat. this is just my personal opinion but regi is the best NA ap carry, chaoxpecial is the best NA bot lane, oddone is the best NA jungler and they are all chill as hell. rain man just doesn't fail top lol but hotshot/voyboy are better, maknoon too (i know he's korean but he plays on NA server)

clg's team chat makes me cry evrytim lol, sv making noob calls and nobody following them ROFL, chauster just talks about how good he is, jiji says nothing and always leaves lane phase down 20 cs, but he's still good so w/e

rainmans stream is so fun to watch
best stream imo

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I was having a great time watching Rainman's stream until he opened his mouth. :applejack:

Top Bottom