• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
now we just inevitably wait for it to be used at the next big tourney, see banner get nerfed, and malz lose the suppress on his ult.

all your fault shaya

Nagoto

Smash Rookie
What champs are currently FOTM? I'm a bit late on the meta.
The meta keeps shifting but since Worlds is done I think it will calm down a bit until the pre season changes.

Popular champions (at least what I've noticed in Plat soloque)

Top: Ryze Rumble Nid Mao Ali Irrelia

Mid: Zed Talon Zill Syndra Ahri

Jungle: Kha Rengar elise vi

Support: Braum Janna Morg thresh Nami

ADC: Trist Lucian twitch vayne kogmaw

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Gnar top is kinda popular right now too. Haven't seeing a Nid in a while. It's a pleasant change. :applejack:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno, when I was D1 and currently bouncing around D2-D4 cuz of master tier I still see pretty much the same picks.

Top: Ryze Maokai Gnar Irelia Akali Fiora
Mid: Zed Syndra Jayce Akali
Jungle: Lee Sin Kha Rengar Jarvan (Super surprise secret OP Solo queue picks) Rammus Fiddle Shaco
AD: Lucian Corki Trist Vayne (same as midz) Sivir
Support: Morg Zil Thresh Janna Nami

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So any tips for a noob. Downloading the game its an annoying process
If you haven't played the game yet I suggest just watching intro videos and learning the basics. Best things to learn at low elo are how to farm and ward.

Also don't make the error of levelling up just playing support and jungle just because they're easier. Playing solo lanes is the best way to get better. They're much harder to play but worth the investment.

Last edited:

El Penguino

Smash Rookie
So any tips for a noob. Downloading the game its an annoying process
The grind from 1-30 is really harsh. It's a very unfriendly enviroment due to smurfs.(usually people who get banned or just want to crush newbies.) So I really recommend playing it with friends for fun and get used to the game. Once you hit 30 it will slowly become more enjoyable.

Since league is a great spectator sport, you can watch streamers that are usually very entertaining and friendly. Finding the right one is key. Or you can watch, LPL; OGN; EU LCS; NA LCS for professional matches and high level play. (Saldy worlds just ended, but next season should start around february.) Don't forget you can also visit /r/leagueoflegends in reddit, for the latest news, videos etc.

Here are some of my things I wish I ded when I was new in league:
-Don't spend rp on champions. Use uit for the newbie bundles to help you out. Or use it for skins!
-Getting runepages is a real grind so, I wish I just bought the runes I needed instead of continually buying champions.
(DO NOT BUY TIER 1-2 RUNES. You unlock the good ones at lvl 20).
-Mute button exist to make flamers silent.
-Have some empathy. When 1 or more people are doing bad in your team, don't get mad. Everyone has a bad day or just want to have fun, don't ruin it. Try actually cheering them up.
-AFKs happen.Losses happen. The average win/loss is 50%. You will lose games eventually, no matter how good you are.

-Most important rule: Have fun.

Good luck in the fields of justice summoner.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
One thing about playing with friends is that you'll normally end up getting forced to play support because it's the role with the least responsibilities. That's fine, but if you get to level 30 playing only support with no solo lane experience you'll be at a significant disadvantage against others who have had that experience.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Don't die. Watch pros. Learn your champion, do some research, and apply it in game. Don't use all chat, and ward. Learn the roles and what they're supposed to do. Learn who to focus, find the role(s) that fit your style of play, learn to adapt to roles that don't. Learn lots of champs but specialize in few for each role.

Last edited:

El Penguino

Smash Rookie
One thing about playing with friends is that you'll normally end up getting forced to play support because it's the role with the least responsibilities. That's fine, but if you get to level 30 playing only support with no solo lane experience you'll be at a significant disadvantage against others who have had that experience.
You need better friends, or you can play solo too. Since it never bothered me when newbies wanted to get the role they wanted even if they were bad at it. Also support has many responsabilities.

Player-3

Smash Hero
dont listen to these ******s if u wanna die go die otherwise u don't learn your limits

playing like a weiner results in being unable to carry games and being forever gold at best

Chinaux

Smash Ace
dont listen to these ******s if u wanna die go die otherwise u don't learn your limits

playing like a weiner results in being unable to carry games and being forever gold at best
Well, this is true to a degree. You'll die plenty. Just don't die for stupid things that aren't worth it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Knowing when your actions will result in your death is pretty important though.

So "don't die" is true, but "not doing anything ever in any game" isn't true.

At the same time, there are some situations and some characters where dying is worthwhile. Even if you're the main carry. If enemy team really decides to focus you, blowing all of their **** at once just to get you out of there, then you likely won the game for the team.
Forcing attention away from map objectives and dying for it can also be positive.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
When I play top lane, I don't give a **** if I die. (vlad riven Singed)
If I'm Riven vs Ryze, I go in knowing either I'll die or he will. I don't give any ****s. Go make a risky play ******s, worry about the consequences if you die.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well those characters are such asses to gank, free farm 5ever and take SIXEVER to kill.
I definitely die all the time with Vlad because I don't care about dying on him, all I need is to keep farming because you out scale everyone anyway. That's a pretty rare quality for characters though.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

You won't even 'carry' yourself to Gold if you don't take risks after laning phase (unless you get lucky and get the better team in like 60% of your games. I win lane 90% of the time as Rumble in Silver (usually only ever lose if I get camped hard which is almost every game) but yet my winrate is still negative because after laning phase I just play like a pansy and don't take risks.

At least on OCE anyway. From what I've seen the lower elos are worse in NA but I imagine what I said still holds true there too.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
dres constantly complaining about my deaths when we play

but rarely do i die for #free
Please stop bringing up our personal quarrels in this thread. It's not the place for it and frankly I doubt anyone else here cares.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Please stop bringing up our personal quarrels in this thread. It's not the place for it and frankly I doubt anyone else here cares.
It was relevant and in context it seemed like messing around and ribbing til you said it was a quarrel. Over dying in game?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It was relevant and in context it seemed like messing around and ribbing til you said it was a quarrel. Over dying in game?
It wasn't relevant, and if he really wants I can explain how he dies for free multiple times every game. He averages like 10 deaths a game, just look at his extended match history if you don't believe me lol.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ya but if you're regularly playing with somebody and actually fighting with them because they die, something's wrong. Well unless you're randomly encountering them in solo queue. Is OCE that small?

Chinaux

Smash Ace
There's a challenger that goes to a high school near me.

There are like 4 people who are diamomds and many people who are platinum at my school. I really should take more advice from them.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ya but if you're regularly playing with somebody and actually fighting with them because they die, something's wrong. Well unless you're randomly encountering them in solo queue. Is OCE that small?
Na we play together with a group of people. Although OCE is small enough that you will encounter people in your elo bracket a couple of times. Sometimes you recognise names you've seen before, and if you're playing ranked late night often you'll get a few people two games in a row.

Sinister- I'm Silver, although I'll probably get dropped back to Bronze next season with the reset because I stopped trying to climb and just started playing champs I find fun. I basically stopped caring about climbing when I beat Aero in a few 1v1s back when I was Bronze, and then later won lane against a few people who were Diamond on NA and lost all my respect for ranking.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nothing impressive about beating Diamond players. None of them care about winning or losing games, unless they're in D1 with 50LP or more.:applejack:

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Nothing impressive about beating Diamond players. None of them care about winning or losing games, unless they're in D1 with 50LP or more.:applejack:
I suppose they don't care about winning in ranked 5s either then?

I'm not trying to say I'm a good player, I'm not, I don't have the attention span to maintain tryharding for an extended period of time. I can't CS because I mained jungle since I started playing ranked, I have no mechanics and I don't know how to carry 1v5 when I stomp lane. If I play mid vs an assassin I'll probably feed them 2 1v1s in lane and if I'm forced to ADC I'll do no damage because I don't play that role ever. My warding probably sucks too because I always ward the same locations. My point isn't that I'm Diamond level, it's that I lost respect for someone's rank when players who are supposed to be good started losing to a bad player like me.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I definitely don't. The addition of Master tier made me completely numb from caring what my score or division is this season as long as I stay in Diamond, don't care if I have negative 20 points in D5 or D1 99 LP.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Dre is saying that he's upset that player's aren't perfect. That they can't have off-days, play bad because they don't care, or that they're an ELO boosted player.

No, they are all diamond gods, and he is their slayer. :applejack:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Probably not. :applejack:
Real mature response lol. If they don't care about winning, why would they played ranked 5s where there is something to lose, and get visibly frustrated in all chat if they do, when they could just do normal 5s (which is what Aero and I do) and troll without any consequence?

Sinister- Why do you care about holding onto Diamond if you don't care about climbing? Is it the status? I don't care about holding onto Silver now that I've stopped tryharding in ranked but Silver obviously isn't as prestigous as Diamond lol.

Top Bottom