• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

D

Deleted member

Phreak with these amazing insights.

"come up with stuff"
"be better then the other"

bassem6

Smash Lord
Half an hour later and the match hasnt started yet...leona trolling the semifinals with that sunlight glare zzz

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The throw was going to baron while frost rushed their inhibitors

TSM also didn't realize frost had significant global gold, got too cocky. TSM did team fight well though, they were coming back too :/

Dekar173

Justice Man
The throw was going to baron while frost rushed their inhibitors

TSM also didn't realize frost had significant global gold
No they knew they were behind, with someone as aware as oddone, you know that the gold is adding up, the huge tower dive is definitely what set them back and gave azubu momentum again.

bassem6

Smash Lord
No they knew they were behind, with someone as aware as oddone, you know that the gold is adding up, the huge tower dive is definitely what set them back and gave azubu momentum again.
agreed

Also Im surprised dyrus didnt back and buy an early ward. A big weakness of darius is how easy he is to gank. One gank will screw that matchup hard.

Dekar173

Justice Man
This also just goes to show how separate the meta for 3s and 5s are within people's mentalities, but how close they are in reality.

Poke/kite team > Super bruisers (without engage) > Bruisers with engage > Poke/kite team

Against poke it's all about attrition, and just not letting it happen. Cho would've been a good pick from Dyrus to just keep the poke from jayce effecting his team much. Then again, I'm not sure how well he plays Cho.

Kira-

Smash Champion
azubu frost vs m5, what a bold statement

-_-

Well there is one good thing that came from finding out that the NA scene is utter ****. I am now more determined to become good at this game. GG

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
clg.na didn't play badly, it was all because of the coin flips

yeah, the coin flips, let's go with that

bassem6

Smash Lord
Aren't you the guy that said that CLG.na would advance from their pool easy?
Yeah, that was me actually!

Group B looks scarier IMO

Im calling that Group A Azubu frost and CLG prime will win easily. idk even know who invictus gaming is.

Group B though, you got dig, clg.eu and najin who beat azubu blaze who dominated TSM.
Looks like I was wrong :) Oh well.

azubu frost vs m5, what a bold statement

-_-

Well there is one good thing that came from finding out that the NA scene is utter ****. I am now more determined to become good at this game. GG
Clg.eu, World elite, and TPA are all top-notch teams with a chance of winning this tournament. It is definitely not 100% certain which teams will end up being in the grand finals. And it's unclear how well these teams will play against each other so your sarcastic quip is fairly unwarranted.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Clg.eu, World elite, and TPA are all top-notch teams with a chance of winning this tournament. It is definitely not 100% certain which teams will end up being in the grand finals. And it's unclear how well these teams will play against each other so your sarcastic quip is fairly unwarranted.
I mean it's not certain M5 is gonna win the tournament

but they were still the favorites heading in

AKA if the finals are M5 vs Frost nobody is going to be surprised

The sarcastic quip was unwarranted though, sorry

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
The only thing that I think is unclear about the teams is if certain teams have gotten a lot better since we've seen them. The team that was mostly unknown were the Taipei Assassins, and they looked pretty good, but they're probably not good enough to beat M5. I would consider that a significant upset if they do.

WE qualified around May or whatever and haven't had any strong showing since then IIRC. But we haven't really seen them since August so it's possible they've gotten better. It's more likely that CLG.eu will beat them, though.

We know quite a bit about CLG.eu and Azubu Frost and we know that they are closely matched, since they recently played a best of 5 in Korea. Considering Frost has been a team for a shorter time than CLG.eu it's more likely that they will have improved more since then.

So yeah, Frost and M5 are certainly the favorites. The only way I personally see this changing is if CLG beats Frost. But we'll see.

My only gripe is that I don't think the format is what a season ending championship should be. I don't like best of 1 in group stages, why weren't they 2 out of 3? They were apparently ready to run more games in the case of a 3-way tie, so I'm sure that time wasn't the issue here.

I also think the final brackets should have been double-elimination. Or maybe two more pools of 4 teams each. Again, I'm certain that time is not a problem, so I don't understand why they ran the championships like this. I get that they don't have world rankings so they drafted opponents, but having CLG.eu, Frost, and TSM on the same side of the brackets seems lame. I would have loved to have seen any of those teams against M5, or even any of them against Taipei Assassins.

Is there even a 3rd place match?

Dekar173

Justice Man
The only thing that I think is unclear about the teams is if certain teams have gotten a lot better since we've seen them. The team that was mostly unknown were the Taipei Assassins, and they looked pretty good, but they're probably not good enough to beat M5. I would consider that a significant upset if they do.

WE qualified around May or whatever and haven't had any strong showing since then IIRC. But we haven't really seen them since August so it's possible they've gotten better. It's more likely that CLG.eu will beat them, though.

We know quite a bit about CLG.eu and Azubu Frost and we know that they are closely matched, since they recently played a best of 5 in Korea. Considering Frost has been a team for a shorter time than CLG.eu it's more likely that they will have improved more since then.

So yeah, Frost and M5 are certainly the favorites. The only way I personally see this changing is if CLG beats Frost. But we'll see.

My only gripe is that I don't think the format is what a season ending championship should be. I don't like best of 1 in group stages, why weren't they 2 out of 3? They were apparently ready to run more games in the case of a 3-way tie, so I'm sure that time wasn't the issue here.

I also think the final brackets should have been double-elimination. Or maybe two more pools of 4 teams each. Again, I'm certain that time is not a problem, so I don't understand why they ran the championships like this. I get that they don't have world rankings so they drafted opponents, but having CLG.eu, Frost, and TSM on the same side of the brackets seems lame. I would have loved to have seen any of those teams against M5, or even any of them against Taipei Assassins.

Is there even a 3rd place match?
When I saw the question mark in my peripheral I was so ready for "Does riot even lift?"

I went home disappoint, but agreeing with what you were saying. LoL has shown itself to be a huge spectator sport- so we want to see MORE matches! asdfadf

D

Deleted member

Lol pool of 4 with round robin best of 3? That's a potential 18 games for one pool... Lmfao be realistic please.

:phone:
it's 12-18 matches and if you run 2 at a time that's 6-9 actual matches, as opposed to the 6 we had now.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Lol pool of 4 with round robin best of 3? That's a potential 18 games for one pool... Lmfao be realistic please.

:phone:
They were apparently willing to go with endless rematches in the case of a three way tie, so I don't see how this is unrealistic.

Not to mention they're running this over three days for a total of 18 matches, 12 of which are just one game. (Four days for 19 matches if you want to include the finals, though I think they're going for spectacle on that.) I simply think they could have had a better format.

Top Bottom