• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
I main Bowser and I found Ike unbearably slow. Doesn't that tell you anything?
Hmmm,
Myeah. But because somebody is slow. It doesn't mean he isn't good at all. Okay we can't say much right now. It's just a demo.

Ah well. I just have to wait, till the games comes out

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
You can hold onto it for... well... for the rest of the match if you really wanted to. However, the opponent can attack you and knock the ball out of you and use it themselves!
Just wondering, if you are holding a final smash is it possible for another final smash ball to fall? I know odds are you don't know seeing as this wouldn't happen often if another could fall...but I was just wondering on the off chance you did. ^^

Fawriel

Smash Master
Whew. Read it all now. Thanks a lot for that good read, Gimpy.

Say, if you have the time, could you test whether characters really interact more now? You know, the way they looked at one another in some of the Dojo screenshots?

Also, can you really swim in the water in Delfino Plaza, or do you just fall slowly?

No U. A vast majority of the new Pokemon look awesome. Only some are totally ugly (Slacking, Tangrowth, etc.)

If we started with 4th gen and worked our way up to 1st gen, people would still complain.

Really, from a character designer's point of view, the old Pokemon are very simplistic and uninspired (Charizard, lol)
Truth.
Well, I don't exactly agree with "a vast majority", but new generation haters seem to ignore the generally pleasant designs of less important Pokemon, like the 4th gen fish thingy I like to call Chillfish, or cool stuff like Froslass.
Though I can see how something like Hippopotas would be traumatizing to conservative 1st gen fans.
Shake Masta Flex is COMIN WIT DEM COMBOS
Usin the mario he getsta **** WIT DEM DOWNTHROWS
grabs into up tilt - follow up forward smash
his mario moves like the justice league's flash
Combo Status ***** it up in crews
but we aint got NOTHIN without his moves
Eggz is how you know him but the boy's name is shane
not watching his videos would be an EPIC shame
the makers of brawl even saw those vids
they never knew that it would come to this
they wanted to nerf mario after watching his ****
but mario in brawl is top tier for his sake
it was eggz i reckon that nintendo reps beckoned to be a smash legend on october twenty second!
That last line is really, really good. =o

Awesome rap. lol

Who all thinks "PRESS ONE!!! / GET THE BALL! PRESS ONE!!!" should be a new meme? :) I'm totally going to randomly yell it at people playing Smash now.
I concur.

Hey, I just saw that a demo player claims that you get a free Final Smash for doing poorly. Is this true?!? Can anyone else confirm this? Or did none of you do badly enough to ever see it anyway? ;)

He also claimed you still are granted the Final Smash even for breaking it using an item, including Pokeballs and Assist Trophys.

It was in the comments at the bottom of the screen during this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMKh5FAouoo
Yeah, I've been wondering about that... but that's the only source that claims this so far. It does seem rather unlikely... it's a dumb concept and the computer does not really have a way to know who is doing particularly poorly...

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
A question for those who played at E4A, about Final Smashes:

Can they be done in mid-air? Out of a shield?

Edit: A second question. For Final Smashes that leave you stuck in one place (ex. Link's, Ike's, DK's), can you be hit while you're doing the attack? And if so, what happens?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I'll just have to imagine Ike being 5 times slower than Potemkin. Yesh people, I know, two totally different games.

-Edit-
Potemkin ****ing *****, but that's off subject. Great job on everything thus far Gimpy.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I'll just have to imagine Ike being 5 times slower than Potemkin. Yesh people, I know, two totally different games.

-Edit-
Potemkin ****ing *****, but that's off subject. Great job on everything thus far Gimpy.
:link:

Ike slower then Potemkin...that would be kind of bad.
Oh and yes, Potemkin does ****! Accent Core for Wii does too.

*On subject*
Okay, I finally just finished reading. Very good job on the front page and the rap Gimpy.;)

Okay, the guy who throws bombs at you in the BoE is King Bulblin if no one told you.;)

Question:
Okay, you say you can "swim" in Brawl. I might have overlooked it but can you attack in the water or is it just a new "thing" to do?

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
want a tier list? here ya go.

mario
peach
metaknight

high
pit
diddy
sonic
fox
pikachu

mid
bowser
link
samus

low
yoshi
dk

absolute garbage
ike
Question: Why is yoshi low? :( He has now an amazing range and even a recovery.

Is not fair :(

Chummsta

Smash Rookie
Yo gimpy I would like to than kyou for all the information you guys give us =D I have one little question..do you think marth will be in the game(he is my main char is melee sow xD) because they already have Ike in the game sow...=P

lukintosh

Smash Ace
absolute garbage
ike
A brutal blow for Ike fanboys around the world. :bigrocket

EDIT: Note to Ike Fanboys Preparing To Destroy Gimpy: Gimpy is the one who's played the game, tested out the characters and seen the potential of each character. So stop it with the "ORLY? HE'S LIEK F4ST" stuff.

EDIT2: Did I forget to mention that Gimpy is an advanced player that's win-some?

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Great job Gimpy you're doing so much for us. Keep up the good work.
Also, from what i saw, i pretty much believe the spikey ball item thingie is from Ocarina of Time, Water temple. It looks metallic-like, grows spikes and chases people too :p

Neoriceisgood

Smash Cadet
Want a cool application for DK's final smash? Take the "shelter" that appears on Norfair once the lava covers the entire screen, if anyone decides to go on with you, they're toast, if they stay outside, they're toast.

That would be the ultimate "OH COME ON" moment for all your opponents.

I think that, although I agree it could've been a lot better (either range or some form of movement) DK's FS can be used properly through strategy and placement, the only thing I'm curious about, if you use DK's final smash right next to someone, will they have time to run?

NOALink

Smash Rookie
General Gameplay

Link
Link’s final smash is one of my personal favorites. Unknown to most of the first brawlers Link’s final smash actually can be landed from VERY far away. You have to be directly horizontal to the person you are aiming at for it to hit, but they can be anywhere on the stage. The coolest usage I saw of this wonderful range was one that I did myself. I got the smash ball and I was trying to think of the coolest way possible to use it, I got hit off the edge shortly thereafter and almost died, then I got an idea. I used my second jump off the stage then instantly used my final smash against the person who was standing on the stage; Link zoomed right over to him and activated his final smash, which killed him. Link actually seems to have a lot of ways to land is, the new noob link combo is down throw to final smash, and yes, that actually works. There are a lot of ways for link to land this. His final smash rushes his opponent and slashes at them several times. All of the hits before the last one are concentrated solely on the single person you aimed at, but the last hit can hit multiple people. Link’s final smash does a lot of damage and does a lot of knockback. This final smash is very effective and visually very impressive.

Sounds familiar... like Wolverine's Weapon X super from the MVC series! Very sweet.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Yo gimpy I would like to than kyou for all the information you guys give us =D I have one little question..do you think marth will be in the game(he is my main char is melee sow xD) because they already have Ike in the game sow...=P
No offense to Gimpy, but I don't think that's a question any of us can answer, really.

Elysium

Smash Lord
If Marth isn't in I'll eat a testicle.
It better be *your* own. Eating a testicle isn't that bad, they did it on fear factor all the time. :laugh:

but seriously, Marth has two other possible reps to compete with. I don't think that can be answer until we get a character confirmed, and then we talk about a possible third rep. So I think it's too soon to be able to answer that, with facts that is.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I just saw that a demo player claims that you get a free Final Smash for doing poorly. Is this true?!? Can anyone else confirm this? Or did none of you do badly enough to ever see it anyway? ;)

He also claimed you still are granted the Final Smash even for breaking it using an item, including Pokeballs and Assist Trophys.

It was in the comments at the bottom of the screen during this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMKh5FAouoo
Yeah, I've been wondering about that... but that's the only source that claims this so far. It does seem rather unlikely... it's a dumb concept and the computer does not really have a way to know who is doing particularly poorly...
Well he says you get the Final Smash when you re-spawn after you die, like you just spawn already glowing with its power. If that ever actually happened, it had to be from the game being nice to you, because we know that if you die with a Final Smash charge you lose it. I don't see any reason the guy would lie, and he mentioned it in passing (most people lying and claiming they found some new thing make a big deal about it, because getting attention is the reason for lying in the first place).

This actually wouldn't surprise me at all given some of the other changes made to Brawl that help close the gap between the decently skilled and the average newbie (auto-sweetspot, grab ledges behind you, better DI, homing tether recoveries usable as many times in the air as you want, slower pace, floatier feel, etc.).

And I really don't see why the computer couldn't know who is doing poorly - when you die, just before you respawn, it can look at your score VS everyone else's, or your remaining stock VS everyone else's depending on what mode you are in. That could form the basis of it deciding you need an extra boost. It could also take other factors into account, like if you had a very small amount of time between deaths, indicating people killed you pretty quickly and easily, and whether or not you've had an previous opportunities to use a Final Smash.

Once it decides you are doing significantly worse than everyone else, it grants you Final Smash charge as you spawn - giving you not only a free Final Smash but some invincibility frames to quickly activate it from! That would certainly give you a leg-up. It would actually make the FS's act somewhat like Supers in many other fighting games that charge up when you are hit a lot. I wonder if this feature can be turned on/off independantly of turning on/off the actual Smash Ball item?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Teh Deku Nut is actuall in teh game?! w00t, I so called it! Same with Lightening Bolt, too!

I think the "Spike-Ball" is actually thos sea urchin things from Clu Clu Land.

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
'You l cancel in brawl by fast falling and then doing your airials'

what about the other way around- aerial then fast fall? I'm trying to think in captain falcon terms here. IE if I was trying to chain nairs it would involve a shorthop, nair, then fast fall > cancel. Or with the new (floatier) engine does this seem improbable?

sorry if it's been answered, but 100 pages is an awful lot to look through

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
The only way the going to take out marth if some other plays just or exactly like him. Ike is nowhere near him, so it safe to say he still it. Roy on the other hand, i think he out

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
It better be *your* own. Eating a testicle isn't that bad, they did it on fear factor all the time. :laugh:

but seriously, Marth has two other possible reps to compete with. I don't think that can be answer until we get a character confirmed, and then we talk about a possible third rep. So I think it's too soon to be able to answer that, with facts that is.
Haha! I didn't know if anyone would catch me on that. No, not my testicle; just a testicle in general. Probably not even a big one at that. ;)

Marth does have a lot of competition (WAY more than two I'm afraid), but his chances still rule. He's just too darn popular. Not to mention he was the first FE lord and was in the most FE games. I think he's in.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I've actually grown to think I is alright from these videos. His Bair kills and is quickly released. He's got a good priority spike (Dair it looks like) and his UpB looks like a sweet edgeguard

Fox is charging his thinging, Ike stands on the edge and UpB. Throws his sword in the air and spikes downward off the stage. He either spikes Fox or hogs the edge setting up for a Dair or Bair. And Fox can't go in too far an angle upwards to avoid the high rising UpB cause Ike being slow, he can still catch him. Of course this will take some timing. But I don't think it'll take too much to knock someone off ;)

Question: Why is yoshi low? :( He has now an amazing range and even a recovery.

Is not fair :(
His recovery is the same. No significant changes have been made to his Up+B. >_>

It makes me sick to know how many people like Mario now because he can combo and kill early. I think I have found my mains as of now just by playing them for an extended period of time:

Pit
Mario
MetaKnight
Fox
(Marth, if he returns)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
alright guys i have some bad news, i've got an absolute ton of school related stuff today in addition to JUST putting soem final touches on a program to feed the homeless that me and a friend of mine are starting at our school (which is REALLY cool) and that unfortunately takes priority over a brawl update, so you may have no update today...

i'll try for later tonight, but i'll likely be gone most of today

sorry guys T-T

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
mario is probably awesome, granted, but I dislike Peach :( I really hope the rest of the high tiers get nerfed more, cuz I'd like to see some variety. Maybe everyone else is better, and mario, peach, meta etc are just good compared to melee.

True, the game would be much better overall if there was more balance, which there hopefully will be. I'm just pumped that my beloved peach looks to be turning out good :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom