• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Holy crap. Over 3600 posts and going strong! And you still have to cover Link and Bowser! Who knows how high this will get. Rock on Gimpy

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I hope he saves Link for last. Honestly to me from vieos I've watched he is the character I wanted to see improve the most. Since most 1st players pick Link as their mold breaker this time I wil have challenges out of casual players.

Marvin The Martian: "HMM...ISN'T THAT LOVELY??!

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Gimpy changed his sig? Sorry, I'm slow.

Anyway, about Peach being able to run in high heels, must means she works for"A Pimp Named SlickBack"
YOU BETTER KNOW IT. YOUG GOTS TA SAY THE WHOLE THING.

Also these updates are practically like new smashdates. Once these end there'll be even less Brawl info to look forward to on the long (now going on 14 week) wait for the actual game.

Still, do what you gotta do Gimpy.

Fawriel

Smash Master
How come if peach show's signs of being bad *** its sexist? why?
Okay, now you're just ****ing with me. You can't possibly be serious.
Here, I'll quote Wikipedia for you.

"It was also praised for "turning the tables" by having the usual damsel-in-distress save the usual hero and for starring Princess Peach in the main role instead of being a secondary character. Points of criticism, however, were leveled at the fact that Peach relies on oversensitive and hyperactive emotions, a stereotypical female characteristic."
"The nature of the vibes and Nintendo's marketing campaign were also noted in many reviews. Davis accused Nintendo of putting "weird sexist undercurrents" into the game, while GameSpy's Bryn Williams wondered if Nintendo was trying to say that all females were "emo". Craig Harris from IGN said that the copy that Nintendo sent to him came in a box scented with perfume."

So blond chick in a pink dress can't fend for her self? lol
Sure she can, it's Smash.

Yeah you want peach to be bowsers ***** and mario to bust in with a half torn shirt screaming "WOMAN AGAIN, YOU ****ING ***** I'M GONNA GIVE IT TO YOU TONIGHT"
... uh.

Anyway, stop reading only what you want to read and lay off the "holier than thou"-attitude. It just makes you seem like an idiot.
Peach is a blond princess in a pink dress who fights with slaps, pirouettes, frying pans, hip attacks and a kick that makes her lift her dress. The whole concept of the character is mildly sexist in itself.
The best way to give her fighting abilities is to work on the foundation of that stereotype by subverting it by making her comically overpowered. Like those scenes in movies where a girl kicks the bad guy in the balls. Everyone loves those scenes. Which is fine.
But the effect just doesn't work when all of Peach's moves are supercombos of megadeath that destroy everything. Because she's a princess who happens to have some hidden power, not a frikkin killer robot.

PS: Well, for fairness sake, there's also this in the Wikipedia article:

"Quite to the contrary of such statements Peggy Orenstein, a feminist who dislikes Disney Princesses, stated
“ I remembered a video on YouTube, an ad for a Nintendo game called Super Princess Peach. It showed a pack of girls in tiaras, gowns and elbow-length white gloves sliding down a zip line on parasols, navigating an obstacle course of tires in their stilettos, slithering on their bellies under barbed wire, then using their telekinetic powers to make a climbing wall burst into flames. “If you can stand up to really mean people,” an announcer intoned, “maybe you have what it takes to be a princess.”

Now here were some girls who had grit as well as grace. I loved Princess Peach even as I recognized that there was no way she could run in those heels, that her peachiness did nothing to upset the apple cart of expectation: she may have been athletic, smart and strong, but she was also adorable. Maybe she’s what those once-unisex, postfeminist parents are shooting for: the melding of old and new standards. And perhaps that’s a good thing, the ideal solution."

Looking at it that way works, too, I guess.

Kokaloo

Smash Apprentice

"It was also praised for "turning the tables" by having the usual damsel-in-distress save the usual hero and for starring Princess Peach in the main role instead of being a secondary character. Points of criticism, however, were leveled at the fact that Peach relies on oversensitive and hyperactive emotions, a stereotypical female characteristic."
"The nature of the vibes and Nintendo's marketing campaign were also noted in many reviews. Davis accused Nintendo of putting "weird sexist undercurrents" into the game, while GameSpy's Bryn Williams wondered if Nintendo was trying to say that all females were "emo". Craig Harris from IGN said that the copy that Nintendo sent to him came in a box scented with perfume."
Holy crap that's hilarious.​

Dasher19110

Smash Rookie
Inside the Head inside the Body of this Dude who a
You know something? Most of these features could be for a DS game. You think they could step down some of the great graphics and Wii compatible stuff so they could make SSBB for DS? Might take some time, though, but it would DEFINETALY be worth the wait. (Sorry, I don't know how to really spell 'definetaly'.)

Legolastom

Smash Hero
You know something? Most of these features could be for a DS game. You think they could step down some of the great graphics and Wii compatible stuff so they could make SSBB for DS? Might take some time, though, but it would DEFINETALY be worth the wait. (Sorry, I don't know how to really spell 'definetaly'.)
Most of these features could be done on a DS? Well thats if you take out around 3/4 of the game then maybe.

RDK

Smash Hero
^ The rest of the above post has the makings of lose! Lol, jk Fawriel.

And about SSBB on the DS.....I'm still waiting for SSB64 and Melee on the DS. But until then, thank God for emulators.

Kokaloo

Smash Apprentice
^ The rest of the above post has the makings of lose! Lol, jk Fawriel.

And about SSBB on the DS.....I'm still waiting for SSB64 and Melee on the DS. But until then, thank God for emulators.
Lawl, I can't even get SSB64 to work on my computer.
Mario's big fat nose disappears and his face turns light green.​

Aesir

Smash Master
I really wish you humored me more, but really you're just not fun anymore =(

I don't think your sexist I just thought your reason why peach shouldn't be good was dumb, dumber then my fake ranting toward you. because in reality who the **** cares if she's good or not.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Jack of Blades!

Smash Journeyman
At about 1:13 to 1:27 in that Youtube videos about Peach killing Metaknight with her frying pan, Link's damage seems to shoot from 89 to 999. Peach grabs link then it seems that Metaknight does something like roll around them and Peach go flying but Links damage is insane. Then after that he is getting hit multiple times by Metaknight and Ike, and his damage seems to reset back to 100-something going up to 200-something until he is killed from what it seems like is the Moblin King on his riding Pig. WTF IS GOING ON?!

SilverChaos

Smash Apprentice
Aesir, your sig disturbs me.
ON TOPIC: I hope Ike's speed (Or lack of speed rather) doesn't make him uncompetitive.

RDK

Smash Hero
Peach's pan definitely killed Meta Knight off the top of Bridge of Eldin at 75% damage 1:25 in. Holy crap.
Yeah, he's pretty ripped. Then again, MK can't be too hard to kill around the 80% cutoff.

I still can't believe how slow the game is compared to Melee....

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the tourney got cancelled and we just had a smashfest

it was fun

captain falcon ffas only knee falcon punch and down air allowed (you could also grab, but not throw)

too good

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
the tourney got cancelled and we just had a smashfest

it was fun

captain falcon ffas only knee falcon punch and down air allowed (you could also grab, but not throw)

too good
I'm glad you had a good time Gimpyfish. Now go do that update for us, please! :)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
but i'll have all of the characters done before the end of the weekend so dont panick too much folks
today will be a big update

I expect all 3 chars today :p

Also, its good you had fun yesterday

Edit: I was refreshing the page and it seems Gimpy also has

Originally Posted by HugS
A Washington guy moves down to socal and ***** the **** out of our ranked players. To make things worse, he's doing it with bowser AND He doesn't even know who the **** he's ******.

in his sig, but I can't see it, is it that the forums cut your sig when its too big or what?

Also, LOL, at HugS quote

Fawriel

Smash Master
I really wish you humored me more, but really you're just not fun anymore =(

I don't think your sexist I just thought your reason why peach shouldn't be good was dumb, dumber then my fake ranting toward you. because in reality who the **** cares if she's good or not.
Again, don't really mind whether she's good or not, just that she's "strong".

But, fine then.
As long as you think I'm an idiot for reasons that are actually true, everything is alright. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom