• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Melee into Evo 2013! (FOR REALS... maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Players who obsessively bash Brawl are still processing the psychological trauma of Brawl not being Melee 2.0.

Get over it, it's 2012

We got Project M and SD Remix
Well most of us who do it aren't just venting our rage or disappointment anymore, we're trying to help brawl players see the light :c It's for their own good. Because why play Brawl when you could play Project M. Project M needs a bigger scene anyways. :)

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Players who obsessively bash Brawl are still processing the psychological trauma of Brawl not being Melee 2.0.

Get over it, it's 2012

We got Project M and SD Remix
It has NOTHING to do with it not being Melee 2.0. You'd be hard pressed to find a single Melee player who was not absolutely thrilled with the idea of Brawl before it was actually released and would have played it REGARDLESS of if it lived up to Melee as long as it was good. I've never been let down harder by a sequel, but not because it WASN'T Melee 2.0.

The arguments people make about "adapting" or that "it's a different game" are such bull and the come from people that don't have the courage to actually sit down and COMPARE THE GAMES and have a proper conversation about it. Instead before any valid points are made they hide behind "they are different games just because it's not Melee 2.0 blah blah blah."

That being said, I think that Brawl bashing to the extent that a lot of people do (coughvkrmcough) is pretty ridiculous and pointless. Just because you dislike Brawl does not mean it is inherently evil and inherently causes issues with the smash community. But I do also feel it is important to understand that we ARE separate communities in most respects.

Bottom line is, I feel that Brawl is not fun to watch. Is that an opinion? Absolutely. But the reason I'd never vote for Brawl isn't that it's not a good game, it's because it's not entertaining, and it's gonna give people more of a reason the throw "Smash" into one category and give them less of a reason to include us the next few times.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Oh hey are we talking about opinions now?
Boy I love opinions, just like a big old onion pi.
It's almost like you can use onion pi as a hot word to throw around and discount other people's claims is not correct because it's "their opinion" regardless of the amount of fact it's based on.

Life

Smash Hero
Well most of us who do it aren't just venting our rage or disappointment anymore, we're trying to help brawl players see the light :c It's for their own good. Because why play Brawl when you could play Project M. Project M needs a bigger scene anyways. :)
Oh hey are we talking about opinions now?
Boy I love opinions, just like a big old onion pi.
It's almost like you can use onion pi as a hot word to throw around and discount other people's claims is not correct because it's "their opinion" regardless of the amount of fact it's based on.
...I don't know what to believe.

(I enjoy Brawl though, haterszszszsz)

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I have gone to the last two so I'll be attending no matter what! It really is a great experience and recommend people to go whether smash is in the line-up or not!
Atlus stop yelling! We can all hear you just fine!

Also, yeah the hate on Brawl is dumb. Any Brawl player that knows anything about the community knows that Melee is more exciting. They just happen to enjoy Brawl more. Whatevs.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Really now? You guys should really stop before some mod or admin. closes this thread, unlike dabrawlhaterzz the majority of melee players simply moved on and ignores the existence of brawl, there's really no reason to continue talking **** about brawl, it's not like melee no longer exists or anything. This thread went from amazing hype to one guy blabering everysingle day about brawl.

Bones0

Smash Legend
That's because we basically maxed out the votes on the poll and anyone who is going to take notice (no one) has already said what they thought.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
The topic is about getting Melee into EVO. The fact of the matter is, some people in the thread feel that Brawl being on the roster too could have major effects on whether or not we get in. It's not really a topic about Melee vs Brawl, but rather whether Brawl's presence could hinder Melee's. Nobody is really arguing over the games themselves, that's just what everyone wants to hear when Brawl and Melee are mentioned in the same post. Nobody is screaming at each other. It's fine.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Makes sense since people hate brawl and brawl will bring less players for melee on EVO. Man, people these days. I mean, I'm not even gonna brag a lot about it here, but man. How people disrespect other brawl players supporting melee is just rude, but what can we do.

Melee is still receiving a ton of votes, so no worries.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Well, Googling "Evo announces game list" brought up multiple articles from January 3rd and 4th of this year, so presumably they'll announce 2013's in early January as well.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
They'll want Tekken and Sony contributes to the evnt so depending on the release of their Sony's Playstation All Stars-Battle Royale, etc. Literally the title people would joke about adding to smash...that. They might force that in but probably not. KoF is in the same boat as melee with less support, their edge on us is that FGC considers them a fighting game.

Really, we do have a very good chance so long the organizers aren't dumb. That being said, we're not in the clear but it would be so amazing to not have to pay smashers to travel when they have a chance at wining their cost and more.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I highly doubt All Stars-Battle Royale would make the line-up, even if Sony is sponsoring part of the event! If anything, it might get the top three on stage for final's day like VF5 did!

As far as official line-ups go:
1. SSFIVAE2012
2. UMvC3
3. KOFXIII
4. TTT2

I doubt MK would make the line-up since MLG is taking care of it! Same things go for TTT2, but it's on the EVO line-up anyway because it's Tekken! Nothing is very clear past the first four games! BB is getting an update, but most of the fanbase for anime fighters is split up between BB, P4A and GG! P4A was a flavor of the month and most people are either going back to BB or GG! GG might have a chance since their fan base is loyal as hell! I would honestly place Melee above most of the games out today considering we still hold damn good numbers for regional tournaments!

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
I'm about 90% sure PS All-Stars will make the Evo line up instead of Melee. Why?

1. It's being worked on by long time members of the Fighting Game Community. Including Seth Killian, one of the more respected members.

2. It's s Sony IP and Evo is a Sony sponsored event.

3. They'd rather have a platform fighting game that is run by there own community as opposed to another.

4. Even if the game isn't super hype, they will have it Evo with the hopes of an exciting tournament to spark a following.

Don't get me wrong, I'd die to have Melee at Evo next year, but I honestly don't see it happening. It's pretty stupid to considering that Melee was hype as hell at Evo when it was there, and a lot of the people watching didn't know anything about the game.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is your competition, pretty much...

Obvious games:
UMvC3
SSF4AE

Good chance:
KoFXIII
TTT2

Sponsored:
Injustice
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Other Recent Stuff:
Persona 4 Arena
Guilty Gear AC +R
BlazBlue CP

dkuo

Smash Lord
I would go ahead and put KoF as confirmed, personally. <_<

If All-Stars actually makes it through over Melee we should show our smash smarts by winning the tourney for it, since they're kind of similar. lmfao

Bones0

Smash Legend
All-Stars looks nothing like Melee. Like even a little. It looks like 90% of every traditional fighter I've ever seen, but slower, clunkier, and the stages are massive. To be fair I've only seen the pre-release stuff, but the stages alone make me think you will be able to just run away and time out matches. If we decide to enter en mass to one up them, then we should make the game look as barlw-like as possible to poop on Sony.

Also, how big of a sponsor is Sony? Is every single game being played on the PS3? If that's the case, I can't imagine Sony allowing Evo to include a Melee tournament, which is a directly competing series with their new All-Stars game...

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I played the demo (of PASBR). From what I can tell there isn't any DI when you're stunned so it's more like 64 than Melee, which means the combos are like traditional fighters, but there are definitely combos. It seems pretty hypocritical to judge a just released game as bad when you know nothing about it. You guys sound like SRK talking about Smash lol.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I got a chance to play PS All stars today

God

it sucks

E: Way worse than Brawl

I don't see any way that game could be played competetive. It's a badly made Smash ripoff

Jonas

Smash Champion
What? Why not? If you start hating a game the moment you get your hands on it, it's usually pretty safe to assume that it's bloody awful. Especially for fighting games and other competitive multiplayer games, because then you can't even bulls*** around its initial awfulness with "it gets good 6 hours in."

Even then it could be forgiven for giving a terrible first impression if it were more like a Tekken type game where you have to learn and memorize a billion things before you can actually get into it and start to really enjoy it, but it's not. It's a Smash clone. It's supposed to be fun and inviting right off the bat.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Even then it could be forgiven for giving a terrible first impression if it were more like a Tekken type game where you have to learn and memorize a billion things before you can actually get into it and start to really enjoy it, but it's not.
Most of the people who hate on Melee hate on it because when they played it casual their impressions were that it couldn't be played competitively. My point is, get educated before you call something awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oPTp6GdWTxk#

I don't think the game is amazing or anything, but come on. There is clearly something to it. Melee in 2001 was a joke. Brawl in 2008 was a joke. Advanced techniques are not discovered in a day.

stelzig

Smash Lord
^Not competitive =/= awful though. Melee in 2001 was definitely not a joke to me. In fact ssbm became my favourite game ever pretty much instantly.
(Edit: And "competitive" doesn't neccesarily = good either. See: brawl ^x^).
All-Stars looks nothing like Melee. Like even a little. It looks like 90% of every traditional fighter I've ever seen, but slower, clunkier, and the stages are massive. To be fair I've only seen the pre-release stuff, but the stages alone make me think you will be able to just run away and time out matches. If we decide to enter en mass to one up them, then we should make the game look as barlw-like as possible to poop on Sony.
I think the worst part about it is that you KO by using their version of final smashes. A dumb way of KOing and you have to watch silly cutscenes every time as well.

Unless i'm misinformed? Guess i'll see when I get it (because I likely will get it anyway).

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
No your right, the only way to get ahead in the game is to fill up a meter and reach 1 of 3 levels of their version of a final smash. And it's not like its a special punch, a lot of the time its like a giant mech suit you wear for thirty seconds while the opponent runs away and stalls as long as possible.

It might be fun, if it doesn't capture you immediately then you have every right to criticize it because that is its intention. I expect there to be a possibility of an option with a health bar and then the FGC will have to consider the whole, if you change the rules to make a better game it doesn't count.

Bones0

Smash Legend
How was Melee in 2001 a joke? Not only was it fun, but everyone can tell pretty quickly when they first start to learn the game that it's just flat-out DIFFICULT. The controls are hyper-sensitive which makes everyone horrible at first, but it also meant that when you did ANYTHING even remotely "correct" you felt like a boss. Pulling off simple combos like stomp-knee would get you and your friends rioting at how awesome it was, and then you just seek to push that further. That's why 11 years after the game's released people still flip their **** over combos.

The first day people played barlw, they didn't think "OMG this is so hard," they thought "OMG I can't do anything" because they were trying to attack their opponent with successive hits, and the movement feels like you're rollerblading on a bowling lane. There was no way to branch from single hits to double hits to triple hits, etc. The game has just become about getting your 1 or 2 hits as safely and consistently as possible and then backing off before they wreck you with some airdodge out of stun BS.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I want to be optimistic about this but I really don't believe Melee will be at Evo.

The capcom FGC is very tight-knit and are controlled by a very few individuals at the top who've begun to use their influence and tournaments for monetary reasons and not to actually expand their community. SF4 has many chances to join e-leagues and such to expand their community but those "in charge" know they'll lose money if that happens.

Someone explain to me how it's right that John Choi can host a regional and then take in HALF of the money that it takes in?

and that's not hating on their community or anything, but it's very easy to see that some at the top only see it as a cashcow. I love SF4 and MvC3 but there's a reason why I stay w/ the Melee community and not latch on to another game.

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
Melee is a great game and definitely deserves to go to Evo. Obviously from the poll, an entire community of Melee players want their game to go to Evo. They don't have to let us back in, but they'd be missing on out on hundreds of attendees plus a chance to bring a great game back to Evo.

But it seems like they rarely bring old games to the event. It'll probably just be Soul Calibur 11, MvC14, and Random Fighting Game Version 87.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
They did kof last year and apparently it was hype. Melee would super hype. I'd watch, if they included it again next year I'd probably go too.

:phone:

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
I want to be optimistic about this but I really don't believe Melee will be at Evo.

The capcom FGC is very tight-knit and are controlled by a very few individuals at the top who've begun to use their influence and tournaments for monetary reasons and not to actually expand their community. SF4 has many chances to join e-leagues and such to expand their community but those "in charge" know they'll lose money if that happens.

Someone explain to me how it's right that John Choi can host a regional and then take in HALF of the money that it takes in?

and that's not hating on their community or anything, but it's very easy to see that some at the top only see it as a cashcow. I love SF4 and MvC3 but there's a reason why I stay w/ the Melee community and not latch on to another game.
This is like saying you love brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom