• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Hawky

Smash Rookie
@hichez50 I agree with everyone else. I like the second picture more but the font needs to be changed.

Anyway, I'm coming to Gamers Xperience later on today but sadly I won't be able to join in the tourney. (To simply put... I'm broke -_-'') I was just wondering would anyone care to do some friendlies with me?

milesg2g

Smash Champion
So what's going on with GA now?
I'll tell you what's going on past Milesg2g, GA's getting a lot more active in this advertising thing it seems. Both GX and Zeke are gonna be on top of their game for these tourney's and stuff.

Pool some money together and get something for the venue/Zeke. Personally, I'd like to try and get a projector screen, IDK if it'd be useful for the other things Zeke and his organization are trying to use it for (mostly teaching ppl to play instruments I think a few other things).

If you get him any kind of present that'll benefit both him and you guys, get a freaking stream. I mean idk if the place has internet, but I mean you guys really need to get on that. Many smash scenes have streams and people will watch on a Saturday just in case they have nothing else to do.

If a stream is consistent it's pretty legit, let me explain.

#1 Stream Consistency

Though a lot of Scenes have Streams, not all of them are consistent on a weekly or even monthly basis. So if you're not a major State like, NJ/NY, FL, TX, or Socal people lose interest. However, if you're like the GA scene who happens to be very organized, you can run a stream for every monthly and people will start to tune in because they'll feel like they've been watching you for a long time. It's like having a TV show lol. You can watch rivalries and stuff right there.

#2 Awareness and Hype

Next having a Stream is a perfect way to advertise our states skill in a good way. Streams bring hype and fun to our scene via smashboards or Aib. We gotta get on that, we have talented players, but not many travel so get a stream so people can see you play.

#3 Sponsors

Another good thing streams bring are sponsors, especially if you're stream is a monthly event. That's at least 1 month of advertising, which I believe the venue/company (company being GX) will be compensated for. We could use that money for bigger events and really set this thing off.

Now that's a good present, GA get on that. Idc if you have to install internet in that ***** and pay for it once a month do it it'll benefit. lol

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace

I agree with the font issue for the second one, but I do like the first one a little more as far as going for something simple.

I wanted to show up at GX today but I have to work all day :sadface:

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX

Umby

Smash Master
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=119940

Not saying we have a big problem with that but it's a good read and I agree with Doom about what he says. I'm going to be pro-active in changing my language at least because I'm guilty of it too. You guys are going to get bodied next tournament, just sayin'.

Oh, and http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306232&page=3 in case you didn't know about it for some reason.
As far as advertising, hosting and commentating (aka, things that REQUIRE a higher level of professionalism), this is good advice, albeit an unsaid rule of thumb that most people tend to follow regardless.

As for the general attendee capacity at tournaments, it's not a bad thing to make the suggestion, but I don't like how this guy puts any given person in the wrong for being at a disposition to this kind of censorship. Sure, two wrongs don't make a right, but who's to determine if making a gay joke is wrong and not doing so is right? He uses the Hitler analogy, but as it's been noted on before - Hitler thought what he was doing was right, and so did the majority of the nation behind him. That said, Maximillion would need either some kind of authority or a huge backing from the community to "soft-dictate" what would be wrong and what would be right to say at tournaments.

I do believe, however, there is a certain criteria for what would turn some people away from the community, but I highly doubt that our language counts as a heavy factor towards that. If my my doubt holds true, then for the few that it does turn away, are we going to throw away the tier list and start including FFAs and items so we don't turn away casual gamers as well?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Godwin's Law did not need to appear in that blog entry on AiB. :012:

Fighting faulty logic with faulty logic isn't exactly a good thing. The same paragraph Hitler graces is suspect.

Also too much credit is given to traditional fighting game streams. It assumes most Smashers are ignorant of not only proper etiquette but of every competitive game that doesn't have Kirby in it (yes Kirby is crucial-tier). I didn't know watching Stream 1 (the Capcom stream) of EVO 2011 is "following" the fighting game community closely, but okay. Yes, EVO was very professional this year. Go to a local tournament and the language is likely to appear. It may not sound like Smash talk but it's there.

The concept the blog entry conveys is sound of course, but we all know the atmosphere of local events and national events are undeniably and obviously different - professionalism or its absence a clear effect of social cues from the scale of an event. The writer seems to understand this, but avoids technicalities because just telling people to do stuff is seriously just easier.

Let's not forget most new blood in this community is in fact high school students. It's the demographic Smash the series explicitly targets and so that's how it will be. The community will get a spike in numbers when the next Smash game is released. The community may only be dying because many have realized that the new Smash Brothers might not be their cup of tea for one reason or another. One reason other than "barlw sux" would be the deceptive accessibility of Smash. Once you lose that illusion, the magic for "instant gratification players" will also instantly disappear.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
@Umby - I don't really know why you'd argue in any way against the points he made (though I know you essentially agreed with it). I just think pointing out things like that puts it in a negative light that isn't helpful or entirely accurate. You used a semi-extreme example that is misleading when compared to the issue and your overall argument is founded in opinion.

I understand if you feel your freedom threatened or something but I doubt anyone would ever actively make rules to punish people if they don't censor themselves. Just have some individuality and willpower and don't censor yourself if you don't want to. Even if it's not a huge reason (which I doubt anyone ever said it was) for people to show disdain to the community, it's still a positive idea and belittling it isn't very helpful.

I just dislike you putting any negative light on an idea that is only good for both the community and your life in general. But hey, you can say whatever you want to say. I guess my post wasn't very helpful either. Yours probably was because too many people act like sheep and in my ideal world they don't. Le sigh.

EDIT: Nvm, I'm stupid. Ignore my first edit if you saw it, even if it was true the direction it was pointed was not.

Umby

Smash Master
Well it's still subjective as to whether or not it's overall "good" or "bad" for the community or even "negative" or "positive". It'd be one thing if we knew for sure MLG and Nintendo would sponsor the community would shape up. If so I honestly wouldn't have any problems with this, but I've seen no indication of such. It'd even be another thing if we drew more of a crowd from restraining ourselves, but no one has proven that this is the case.

What I have an issue with is not good intents (rather I like to encourage/reformat those), but simply when someone makes it out as if they are the authority on good intents, especially when their opinions conflict with so many controversial, social standards. I'm particularly keen when someone is suggesting censorship in a scenario where censorship would not even be a heavy factor towards the overall intended goal. I understand what Doom's intentions are, but he doesn't offer any proven, advantageous rewards for what such kind of restraint is worth to some people.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
perhaps the secret message written in the back of the background but beneath the foreground of AiB layout is that too many people need things to have an immediate reward for their actions

speaking of censorship, what is being censored to begin with? a certain mode of thought, an identity, possibly both, possibly more. i think the greater question is if this censorship has any immediate disadvantages? there are a lot of necessary evils in this world, is this one of them?

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Lol, no one is going to read these wall of texts. Don't even know why I'm bothering, ha. Probably because I'm bored.

@Umby - I don't really see how using less of the words "gay" and "****" can be anything but positive. Not those 2 words particularly at least. It's just the idea of censorship you don't like which I don't blame you because when you start, where does it stop? But I'm all for these kind of things as long as it's not forced on me. If I, by my own free will, decide that I'll use less of those derogatory terms then I'm going to. I only posted it so that people would be introduced to the idea and make with it what they will.

I don't think you should knock it too hard because it's not as important as you want it to be. Small changes or improvements can be good and shouldn't be overlooked just because of their size. But in the end, a blog post (or even me preaching here) isn't going to bring about actual rules banning words. So my OP is still and always will be simply an idea that you can use information from to make your own choices or not. Simple as that.

@VietGeek - Too philosophical for me. I spent an entire semester dealing with a class like that and it's fun to begin with but after hours of arguing opinions and you realize you achieved very little just puts a damper on it for me. The knowledge of yourself, others, and the topic you gain isn't too shabby though, I guess.

Umby

Smash Master
I spent an entire semester dealing with a class like that and it's fun to begin with but after hours of arguing opinions and you realize you achieved very little just puts a damper on it for me.
I probably look like an *** for singling this out, but this part of the quote is generally how I'm looking at the situation. Using less of "gay" and "****" in one's vocabulary may look positive to some people, but for those who are used to using it frequently, something like this would take effort, and in this specific scenario, what do they have to gain for it? The knowledge that some random person next to them won't become offended by one of their many possible dialogue choices? This adverse effect is something I actually view as negative. Trying to get people to adhere to the insecure standards of a select social group is just not something you can suggest without a reasonable cause, even if you're not forcing them to do so. I'd at least like it not to be taken so lightly as to refer to it as a "small change" in that regard.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I think there is a very good reason to be professional in the way we conduct ourselves at tournaments. Many of us are trying to get E-games to be taken more seriously at colleges and even high schools. These institutions will not support us if they find us to be a very low-brow community.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I honestly think the most professional thing people can do is dress better. I don't mean like "Swag Swag I'm phresh" stupid stuff.

I think people should be able to dress however they want, BUT keep it clean looking. Many smashers, and I"m not talking about our scene don't dress well. And by that I mean the way the have their stuff hang off them. Pants shouldn't sag, clothes shouldn't be dirty, you shouldn't reek of bad smell, teeth should be clean, hair should be kept well, and room should be organized. That's my only PERSONAL request. Carry yourself better, and clean up. Problems that aren't in our scene from what I've seen.

I don't think people should have to watch what they say unless a sponsored stream that's recording/streaming us wants us to watch our mouthes. People are always asking for hype and some of the best form of hype is trash talking, and rants from the crowd. It's in sports too, but you don't see/hear it on televised events most the time. You don't see a cameraman and his mic sitting next to a FAN you see him sitting next to like a responsible celeb who want try to ruin their own rep so they talk clean. The crowd can be harsh as hell.

I do think we should carry ourselves better though, not like dress better. I'm not insulting anyones style or anything, I just think if you're gonna wear it, it should fit and have a tolerable smell.

Again stuff I haven't had a problem with in GA while I was there so yeah.

Just saying

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
@Umby - I had this huge long post but then I deleted it because I don't even want to argue about something so pointless. Outside of things like streaming, you should only censor yourself if you personally feel it necessary.

I personally feel like it would be useful for myself. All my gay friends don't care if I use the word "gay" as long as it has no harmful intent but even though the word has evolved to mean less harmful things than it's original derogatory slur I still think the word is sort of immature in nature and I don't mind only saying it in moderation. I have a good friend who was ***** and I'd be an ******* (in my opinion) to not try to limit my usage of the word. That word has not really evolved outside of the "game community" to mean much more than what it is; a horrible event that I wouldn't like to remind others of. So for me there is "gain" to do something like that in my personal life.

All my link was suppose to do was give you some food for thought. Read it, digest it, and do with it what you will. There is no negative intentions behind posting up a link for people to read regardless of what you say because there is no action behind the words. Making people think isn't a crime, only when people follow without thinking is when "adverse effects" happen.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
You kids. :troll:

For the tourney on Saturday (Geeks or whatever it's called), I'm thinking of driving there. If I can get 4 people confirmed by Friday, then we'll head there Sat. morning and head back late Saturday OR early Sunday.

Reply below if you want in.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
@Player-3 - I dunno about more fun... maybe because it's a little faster in nature but it's DEFINITELY more competitive. Just by throwing in the deny factor and lose of gold upon dying etc makes it so a more skilled player can dominate a weaker player much more easily in HoN than LoL.

Overall, both games have merits. Some people like LoL's brighter cartoonish graphics better (I personally like HoN's darker more realistic graphics myself) and people like LoL's customizability with the skill tree/rune book too. They also like how it's easier and you DON'T have to deny/lose gold upon dying etc. HoN has a little bit better hero/item designs and is faster paced overall and much more punishing for a users mistakes/errors.

Both are free now but games like that suck as a F2P model since the initially limited hero pool destroys the game's strategy of picking well rounded teams and counters which is half the game imo. LoL also has the added draw back of new users having an empty rune book and having to fill that up too.

Regardless of which game you like better, there are a lot of users who play both and if you're interested or play currently, you should leave your username up here and see if you can find new people to play with. I'm very good at HoN and am willing to help new people learn if they want (it's free to play like LoL is now btw so if you're interested, check it out).

EDIT: Links to both sites...
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/f2p_splash.php
https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/index

Also, my name is Micaelis on HoN too.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Something the people here may be interested in--

AWA's schedule has Brawl Singles on Saturday at 7 PM, and Brawl Doubles on Sunday at 10 AM.

Unity Ruleset throughout. Singles has Double Elimination in Top 16, and Doubles has Double Elimination in the whole tournament.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
First off, good **** @these walls of text ill read later.

Second, shame on you luis for double posting as a mod.

More importantly, when is that girl convention thing we were talking about a while back Mike? Or is that AWA lol

:phone:

Umby

Smash Master
http://shoryuken.com/2011/08/11/my-...ts-on-randomness-mashing-and-high-level-play/

I just read this and it made me think a lot about the rise in the discussion of MK bans,new stages, no RC or Brinstar, ect. I feel like I should put this somewhere else on the site. Any ideas?
Not sure how you're relating the two. The article you linked is talking about randomness when it comes to the move decisions a player makes. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, talks about stages attributes to the randomness that is included by the game itself. Those are two separate things. I can see where the randomness of the stages would factor in to what a player can/would do, but the situation still boils down to a player making a choice.

It's still a good topic that I wouldn't mind discussing, though.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
As far as advertising, hosting and commentating (aka, things that REQUIRE a higher level of professionalism), this is good advice, albeit an unsaid rule of thumb that most people tend to follow regardless.

As for the general attendee capacity at tournaments, it's not a bad thing to make the suggestion, but I don't like how this guy puts any given person in the wrong for being at a disposition to this kind of censorship. Sure, two wrongs don't make a right, but who's to determine if making a gay joke is wrong and not doing so is right? He uses the Hitler analogy, but as it's been noted on before - Hitler thought what he was doing was right, and so did the majority of the nation behind him. That said, Maximillion would need either some kind of authority or a huge backing from the community to "soft-dictate" what would be wrong and what would be right to say at tournaments.

I do believe, however, there is a certain criteria for what would turn some people away from the community, but I highly doubt that our language counts as a heavy factor towards that. If my my doubt holds true, then for the few that it does turn away, are we going to throw away the tier list and start including FFAs and items so we don't turn away casual gamers as well?
Most of the people who use "****" and "gay" the way they do also think they're right, no? ;)

And I'm aware of the usage of Godwin's Law. It was intended to be a humorous mockery of people justifying their wrongs with others'.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Godwin's Law did not need to appear in that blog entry on AiB. :012:

Fighting faulty logic with faulty logic isn't exactly a good thing. The same paragraph Hitler graces is suspect.

Also too much credit is given to traditional fighting game streams. It assumes most Smashers are ignorant of not only proper etiquette but of every competitive game that doesn't have Kirby in it (yes Kirby is crucial-tier). I didn't know watching Stream 1 (the Capcom stream) of EVO 2011 is "following" the fighting game community closely, but okay. Yes, EVO was very professional this year. Go to a local tournament and the language is likely to appear. It may not sound like Smash talk but it's there.

The concept the blog entry conveys is sound of course, but we all know the atmosphere of local events and national events are undeniably and obviously different - professionalism or its absence a clear effect of social cues from the scale of an event. The writer seems to understand this, but avoids technicalities because just telling people to do stuff is seriously just easier.

Let's not forget most new blood in this community is in fact high school students. It's the demographic Smash the series explicitly targets and so that's how it will be. The community will get a spike in numbers when the next Smash game is released. The community may only be dying because many have realized that the new Smash Brothers might not be their cup of tea for one reason or another. One reason other than "barlw sux" would be the deceptive accessibility of Smash. Once you lose that illusion, the magic for "instant gratification players" will also instantly disappear.
It's rather silly to assume that I would claim watching the Evo stream this year as my only form of following the FGC. I've talked to a few Smashers about that same topic well before Evo, but didn't get around to posting about it until then. It happened to be a very good opportunity, because many Smashers watched Evo and were motivated by the experience.

I also don't see how too much credit is being given to other streams. Even weekly tournaments are holding high-end quality streams with twice as many viewers as our nationals.

Well it's still subjective as to whether or not it's overall "good" or "bad" for the community or even "negative" or "positive". It'd be one thing if we knew for sure MLG and Nintendo would sponsor the community would shape up. If so I honestly wouldn't have any problems with this, but I've seen no indication of such. It'd even be another thing if we drew more of a crowd from restraining ourselves, but no one has proven that this is the case.
1. The absence of promise from sponsorships doesn't mean we should abandon the idea anyway. Shaping up a bit and then trying to show companies that we're worth sponsoring can't hurt.
2. I have had females privately contact me about that blog telling me that the usage of the word "****" originally drove them away from tournaments at first. There are a few anecdotes in the blog's comments where people discuss how this has affected their friends or family.

What I have an issue with is not good intents (rather I like to encourage/reformat those), but simply when someone makes it out as if they are the authority on good intents, especially when their opinions conflict with so many controversial, social standards. I'm particularly keen when someone is suggesting censorship in a scenario where censorship would not even be a heavy factor towards the overall intended goal. I understand what Doom's intentions are, but he doesn't offer any proven, advantageous rewards for what such kind of restraint is worth to some people.
So you're saying that it's only worth cutting out offensive vocabulary if there's some kind of tangible reward rather than it (at least, the way I and many others see it) being the morally right thing to do? That's upsetting. The only reason this opinion conflicts with any social standards is because said social standard stems from ignorance. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that making a word that a group of people identifies themselves by synonymous with something negative is wrong? (lol horrible sentence structure)

The immediate reason for the restraint being worth it should be that you're offending less people. The secondary, but relevant reason is to stop Smash from looking like a bunch of uncultured, inarticulate high school children. Even if most of them are, potential benefactors for our community aren't going to put us on a lie detector to make sure we're not pretending to be big boys. The image we cast is the image they take on for supporting us. Fix the image and we become a much better prospect.

I probably look like an *** for singling this out, but this part of the quote is generally how I'm looking at the situation. Using less of "gay" and "****" in one's vocabulary may look positive to some people, but for those who are used to using it frequently, something like this would take effort, and in this specific scenario, what do they have to gain for it? The knowledge that some random person next to them won't become offended by one of their many possible dialogue choices? This adverse effect is something I actually view as negative. Trying to get people to adhere to the insecure standards of a select social group is just not something you can suggest without a reasonable cause, even if you're not forcing them to do so. I'd at least like it not to be taken so lightly as to refer to it as a "small change" in that regard.
Oh no, EFFORT. It really takes any more than five seconds of thought to select one of the endless synonyms that people have made for "gay"? Lame, stupid, overpowered, overused, annoying; it goes on and on. ****? Try bodied, blown up, destroyed, wrecked, demolished, stomped on, crushed.

Changing your vocabulary isn't always easy, but cutting out expletives/offensive words or choosing a synonym is probably the easiest form of modification that you can make. What positive exists when nobody is against this kind of language? You're more free to speak your mind? The ability to express those thoughts is certainly still there, just pick a word that actually means it.

Umby

Smash Master
Most of the people who use "****" and "gay" the way they do also think they're right, no? ;)
They think they're justified. In a way that's not about being right or wrong. They acknowledge that certain people will feel strongly against their usage of the words, but assuming they don't find it necessary to keep these people in their favor/company, they can simply choose not to associate with these people and vice versa.

1. The absence of promise from sponsorships doesn't mean we should abandon the idea anyway. Shaping up a bit and then trying to show companies that we're worth sponsoring can't hurt.
But who's offering the criteria we need to gain favor from these companies? How are we monitoring the demeanor attendees and showing our observations to relevant parties (I might have missed the part in your blog so feel fee to gut me)? The way you're pinning the focus on potential elephants in the room is something that can be awkward/difficult for some parties to advocate if we don't have some clear objectives. Imagine the most vulgar, yet passionate, tourney-goer turning around his language because you've told him "If you can do this, we MIGHT be able to get sponsors and make our tournies even better!" Someone appeals to Nintendo or MLG to sponsor us and we come to find out the language wasn't even the main issue. Even if our aforementioned tourney-goer doesn't give an exaggerated "I made all these changes for nothing!" response, he's likely to just go back to his old ways and now you still have a small group of people being driven away from tournies due people like him.

In short, I feel like for your idea to effectively work, incentives have to be solidified. I think I've been putting out the vibe that I think these ideas should be tossed out the window, so I hope that clarifies that I just believe more needs to be done/considered to really influence people.

2. I have had females privately contact me about that blog telling me that the usage of the word "****" originally drove them away from tournaments at first. There are a few anecdotes in the blog's comments where people discuss how this has affected their friends or family.
I'm on the fence about this one. Consideration is a good thing, especially when a relatively common goal among the community is to get more people, including females, to attend tournaments. On the other hand, I feel like if people are too sensitive to read into the context and just be offended by what's on the surface (and they don't hold any kind of influence on the future of the community) then no one's forcing them to be there. There are more relevant things to like/dislike people in the community for, like hygiene or particularly bad attitudes.

So you're saying that it's only worth cutting out offensive vocabulary if there's some kind of tangible reward rather than it (at least, the way I and many others see it) being the morally right thing to do? That's upsetting.
In a general setting where I'm out to have fun? Absolutely. Some people find restricting themselves in this manner out of morals personally rewarding (otherwise we wouldn't be talking) but for the others (including me), it's usually an inconvenience. Don't get me wrong, I have my own morals. I like to be nice and welcoming to those around me. Heck if we were meeting for the first time in a friendly match, I'd probably take a breif amount of time getting to know you before I started saying obscene things in conversations with you. But if there's just some random person next to me that I don't notice who takes offense if shout "****!" during a 0-death combo or something, it's just one person I know I'm less likely to affiliate with.

The only reason this opinion conflicts with any social standards is because said social standard stems from ignorance. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that making a word that a group of people identifies themselves by synonymous with something negative is wrong? (lol horrible sentence structure)
Don't worry I understood.

This is when we have to take value in context. We get the same type of argument when dealing with racial slurs. Sure we *know* that the word is made out to be negative, but are we using it with the intent to offend and hurt someone? Usually the answer is no. I can make Asian jokes with SleepyK all day long and he can make black jokes about me and our conversations can be just as hilarious for either one of us, because past that we respect each other as friends and don't think of each other in the manner that our respective stereotypes would imply. Would you consider that to be morally wrong? If not, what's to keep the people who are currently offended by similar words from making the same kind of strides. Likely the issue I brought up in that it takes effort to step out of their comfort zone.

The immediate reason for the restraint being worth it should be that you're offending less people.
People are going to like/dislike me for one reason or the other. There are some areas that *should* be considered when you step out the door in consideration of other people (stuff that effects people a LOT more universally, like hygiene), but when it comes to language which ties in to personality, the person offended by me is likely not going to like me regardless of my language and vice versa. If I don't like someone in that case, why WOULD it be worth it to me if I stopped offending them? If I used a term that offended them, I'm likely not even talking to or about them. The only basic care I have for someone I haven't even met is that they are healthy, breathing, and unharmed.

The secondary, but relevant reason is to stop Smash from looking like a bunch of uncultured, inarticulate high school children. Even if most of them are, potential benefactors for our community aren't going to put us on a lie detector to make sure we're not pretending to be big boys. The image we cast is the image they take on for supporting us. Fix the image and we become a much better prospect.
I support the intent, but this would be a self-sufficient "reward" for the "children," so you'd have to REALLY sell it to them. If Smash looks the way to outsiders as you claim it looks like, then the majority is going to represent our image. Being as "uncultured" as you make said majority out to be, are you certain your words are reaching out to them?

Oh no, EFFORT. It really takes any more than five seconds of thought to select one of the endless synonyms that people have made for "gay"? Lame, stupid, overpowered, overused, annoying; it goes on and on. ****? Try bodied, blown up, destroyed, wrecked, demolished, stomped on, crushed.

Changing your vocabulary isn't always easy, but cutting out expletives/offensive words or choosing a synonym is probably the easiest form of modification that you can make. What positive exists when nobody is against this kind of language? You're more free to speak your mind? The ability to express those thoughts is certainly still there, just pick a word that actually means it.
"My daughter has a lame leg from a birth defect, I take offense to that."
"My brother was blown up in Iraq, I take offense to that."

Who's the authority on what's more fair to say than any other word I could have chosen? Do we omit certain terms from consideration because they "don't offend as much/as many other people." How would we even gauge that? When we start making these kinds of distinctions, then I do think effort on this part becomes more of a hassle for what it's worth, unless we REALLY wanna feign ignorance on all the technicalities, which is not completely out of the equation since the offended parties like to feign ignorance on the context on the offensive words.

Just so I'm clear, I'll end with:

- I support the idea of getting better recognition through better image, so long as we confirm the tangible benefits.
- Anyone who can enjoy the moral benefits are at the mercy of their own prerogative and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you feel good about yourselves.
- When it comes to a common goal, one party is going to have to conform to the others' standards or make compromises, but if we're talking about change to what's commonly accepted, the ground rules need to be clarified and justified. Not everyone is keen on the idea of making changes through morals, especially when it comes to something as sensitive as censorship.
- I REALLY believe that some individuals have to toughen up and read into the context of words before finding them offensive. So much drama has started because people don't like the way something sounds as opposed to what it means. These same individuals probably don't care about changing the official definition of "*** (a-word)" and "***** (b-word)" as they actually relate to their animal counterparts.

Top Bottom