• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Said some similar things in the 7 Squares Support Thread, but if there's another Square Enix character in the cards, it's most definitely Geno.

Crono has legal red tape for Akira Toriyama's depictions of the Crono Trigger Cast back in the day being tied to other companies besides Square Soft.

Sora has Disney being a little too big of an investment to pay-off quick enough for Nintendo's liking.

We're now in the "Schrodinger's Geno" era of his support. It all hinges on a basically 50/50 chance of the Mii Costume showing up this week.

QQS

Smash Lord
D4E96306-8826-4828-BA42-365B3E41CAB8.jpeg
0C0ED8C4-13F6-461F-B5A1-3A185FF84824.jpeg
762F9ED1-1EE1-47B9-9E3E-D2533A3F76DB.jpeg

DONT YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?

I see Geno joining the Party when he is ready to fal down. Geno Squares into Battle or Awakens or Falls or Aligns or Stars or whatever! I see me being the telling a lot of people: “YOU DIDNT HAVE ANY GOD DAMN FAITH LIKE QQS”

Those are screenshots from where BANJO&KAZOOIE JOINED THE BATTLE. I see the same with Geno, for all the evidence we know + Sakurai’s recognition.

I see Fatmanonice Fatmanonice telling us all his words on this moment & papagenos papagenos making videos of this magic moment.

There’s no chance in hell that Geno isn’t going to join the party where he belongs.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Where do we stand on the likelihood of a Vincent mii costume? I know Barret would be way more fitting as a mii gunner given the way they're meant to look, but I figured I'd throw him out there.
Uhh, being completely honest here, I kinda didn't even know who Vincent was until you just mentioned him, haha. I don't think he's as likely as Barret, but I suppose he could happen. Not like we're strangers to having deep cuts for costumes. Plus his design seems pretty cool.

Your Mii costume ideas are great and all, but they don't hold a candle to THIS Squeenix-owned character:

Seriously, I'd hoot, holler and clap like a circus seal if they made a Gex Mii Costume.

"This is like Smash night at Sakurai's!"
GEX

HOLY **** DID SOMEONE JUST MENTION GEX???

Ok, besides the supreme video game meme character (eat ****, Bubsy), I think Gex is genuinely one of the most underrated platformer mascots out there. How can you not like a wisecracking, movie junkie gecko who adventures through TV worlds and cracks corny jokes at every opportunity?

Man, i just wanna see him in Smash saying stuff like "I HAVEN'T HAD BLASTS LIKE THIS SINCE GARLIC NIGHT IN WARIO'S HOUSE". But you know, a costume's nice too.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how likely this is, but something I've thought about is that maybe Geno wouldn't show up as a character until all the Smash 4 Mii costumes return. Like maybe they know that we notice that each pack comes with at least 1 returning costume, so they continue that but save Geno for last. Then at the point where Geno is the only costume that hasn't returned, they reveal him as that pack's fighter.

Which Mii costumes still haven't returned yet? I could see something like Sephiroth coming with Chocobo, #9 coming with Monster Hunter (maybe this would line up near Monster Hunter Rise's release date), #10 coming with Lloyd, and then Fighter #11 is Geno. Am I forgetting any costumes?

Last edited:

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
I love how the mood of this thread completely shifted over the past few days.

Night of the Game Awards: "Geno is probably not gonna be revealed, but what if?"

[Sephiroth happens, a square rep]

The Aftermath: "Geno is definitely a Mii costume. It's over boys........ but what if?"

[basically a civil war that results in a lockdown]

The After"lock": "Ok, but seriously WHAT IF????"

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Which Mii costumes still haven't returned yet? I could see something like Sephiroth coming with Chocobo, #9 coming with Monster Hunter (maybe this would line up near Monster Hunter Rise's release date), #10 coming with Lloyd, and then Fighter #11 is Geno. Am I forgetting any costumes?
You basically got all of them. Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, and the two Monster Hunter costumes are currently the ones still missing.

link2702

Smash Champion

Night of the Game Awards: "Geno is probably not gonna be revealed, but what if?"

The Aftermath: "Geno is definitely a Mii costume. It's over boys........ but what if?"

Some newcomers here who still have some hope yeah, but a lot of veterans of the thread....many pretty much have come to terms with the inevitable.

Although I still try to cling to the hope that he's the final character reveal....if we get a mii costume....it's over. I can't see Nintendo/sakurai pulling a several month long K.rool/banjo moment, where after us all having lost hope from the costume reveal, they suddenly go "Lol....jking here's the real Geno"

Burb

The Absolute Worst
where after us all having lost hope from the costume reveal, they suddenly go "Lol....jking here's the real Geno"
Yeah, the issue with theories like that is that they imply that Mii Costumes are something that should be viewed as an insult or embarrassment. It'd be a slap in the face to all the characters that were only able to get Mii Costumes.

Mii Costumes are something Sakurai and co need to get rights from other properties to use, and are meant to be sold. It'd devalue them to customers if they were used as an unfavorable outcome in a gag, and would be an indirect insult to the companies and creators of the characters they got the right to make costumes for.

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, being completely honest here, I kinda didn't even know who Vincent was until you just mentioned him, haha. I don't think he's as likely as Barret, but I suppose he could happen. Not like we're strangers to having deep cuts for costumes. Plus his design seems pretty cool.

GEX

HOLY **** DID SOMEONE JUST MENTION GEX???

Ok, besides the supreme video game meme character (eat ****, Bubsy), I think Gex is genuinely one of the most underrated platformer mascots out there. How can you not like a wisecracking, movie junkie gecko who adventures through TV worlds and cracks corny jokes at every opportunity?

Man, i just wanna see him in Smash saying stuff like "I HAVEN'T HAD BLASTS LIKE THIS SINCE GARLIC NIGHT IN WARIO'S HOUSE". But you know, a costume's nice too.
Totally fair. Lol. Vincent's an optional party member after all,. Definitely lesser known compared to most FF7 characters, but he was big enough to get his own title. Not a very well received one, but hey, any and all options for mii costumes that prevent Geno's decofirmation works for me.

Also agree on the awesome design aspect too, so if they could make him work as a mii costume, there's a bonus for you.

CB Johnny

Smash Rookie
Well it's been a roller coast since that fateful Tweet about there being a trailer at the Game Awards, eh? I've had quite a bit of time to reflect. I hope I keep this essay a bit hopeful, helpful, relatable, and cathartic. I bring no speculation-insight but I do come bearing aid to the spirit and the mind. You're good people and you deserve it.

So with the 12 or so hours leading up to The Game Awards, we had time for hype, speculation, and anticipation. Then the surprise of the show starting with a Smash announcement.
And oh boy. When Galeem sliced in two, I had wondered if it was Ryu Hayabusa. Shot wise it definitely seemed like a katana was used. I at least got one thing right.

Then.....The first two notes of One Winged Angel was all it took to immediately shout in celebratory amazement. As my thoughts immediately acknowledge the mindblowing momentous occasion... the arrival of one of the most iconic villains of video game history, from a Citizen Kane-tier critically acclaimed game that remains on its industry's Mt. Rushmore alongside the likes of Ocarina and Galaxy.
In one of the coolest- if not THE coolest- trailers in Super Smash Bros history...

In a moment where-- had you been in the room with me alongside my family or in the same Discord screening party-- you'd think that I was 100% delighted because I'm 'hooping and hollering' with remarks like 'WHAT?!' and "NO [SMURF]-ING WAY!!" and "OH. MY. GOD. REALLY?!!"

as family turned to me going 'what? whats the deal? who is this???' in vain knowing I'm too entranced to say anything of substance....

Deep down... If my heart spoke louder than my head, you'd just hear a stifled sniffle. A tear of grief tempered with acceptance.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely support the idea of waiting "until we see a corpse" and I think some of you made strong arguments that we are OVER REACTING.... Fatmanonice Fatmanonice gave us some good number crunching that felt like a breath of fresh air and I'll get to that in a bit.
Yet I think of what I trained myself to do if I was ever the passenger of a traffic collision. That entails the following: loosen your body, take a deep breath, and accept that we sometimes have no control. Drunk drivers are statistically more likely to live than their sober victims because sober drivers tense up before a collision while the selfish ignorant drunken fools are too inebriated to react. In fact, I've already experienced this method firsthand back in college but I digress. Sometimes you have to just breathe, anticipate a problem, and remain calm. Not necessarily stoic. Not necessarily happy.... just... Prepared.

Those first two notes of One Winged Angel hits you like a truck, doesn't it?
Fitting. As over dramatic and theatric as it is to say: of course the one who boasts of bringing despair would signify writing on a wall for so many.
I've never played FFVII but that song has been memorized and etched into mind. In fact, so has the Advent Children version. When you hear it you know that unless you play your cards right: you stare death and despair in its magnificently powerful eyes. You punch out Cthulhu or perish.
Twenty years later I now hold 'One Winged Angel' in a new frame of reference: it's not the badass song I listened to on loop as a kid after a friend shown me Advent Children. It's not the "swords. are. in my knees. something something magic cheese. head sauce. jim carrey. in a bear. heaven pee. DAFFY-ROTH" memes we've all half-recollectedly mumble off for our friends. It's not the song you hope Kenny Omega enters with to complete his collection of world titles at Wrestlekingdom in the coming years..... It's the song that brings Geno fans despair, now, isn't it?

Ho boy. The trailer ends. The unbiased experience of the magic of the amazing trailer dissipates. Geoff segues to other vidya game stuff you likely cannot even remember. You're sitting in your chair thinking "that's it. It's over." Am I right so far? Because I sure felt that way.

then I check on you guys. Most of you were prepared for the worst. Plenty of you were at peace with it. And, to some folks' credit in pointing this out (especially Fatmanonice Fatmanonice after some poor souls were spiralling): clearly having bigger problems as Geno's supposed deconfirmation was a straw that broke the camel's back.
To those few who fit that description: I really hope you're doing okay and perhaps if you need an additional listening ear in your support network then maybe I can be one of them. If this announcement was the icing on a cake of pain for you during the pandemic then from one Geno Fan to another: I'll try to be there for you when my emotional energy and free time permits safe passage. I got you. <3 My inbox is open.

With that being said: watching the Sephiroth trailer was a weird dichotomous experience. It was objectively really [smurfin'] cool. But it's like someone wash the majority of Geno Fans' talking points for evidence down Wario's nearly clogged and doubly disgusting drain.

Thoughts emerge like "LOL you were so close! All of that wasn't for a Geno fighter. The evidence was for a Geno Deluxe Mii Costume. This isn't Brawl where he'd make sense back when it was just Snake and Sonic as guests. Do you really think Geno belongs with Steve, Hero, Cloud, Ryu, Banjo, Mega Man, Snake, Pac-Man and other mindblowingly mainstream third party characters? This is Ultimate, you fool. You're gonna get a mascot cosplay for your Mii avatar and he's going to come with some music and you're going to like it." (please hang on if you disagree. Follow my journey)
All the while, perhaps you could almost hear the memeified magicial stylings of Simon and Garfunkel going "hello darkness my old friend."

Relating still? Yeah, me, too, bud. Me, too.
Memories of explaining to friends offline about why I was confident Geno was coming seemed to be.... recontextualized. "I guess we're getting the deluxe Mii Gunner after all... Oh [smurf] this is gonna hurt, won't it?"

So after the trailer ended and Geoff moved onto further festivities, I turned to my friend (and host) on the Discord party and said "yo... Umm.. He's a Square Enix character. I think you know what that means for me and uhh... It's cool that he's in but I need to like.... take a breather. I'll be back."

I penned a quick social media status to be the 'bigger man' in advance because for some silly reason I expected my peers to be all "oh look... Johnny was wrong. Geno ain't comin' after all" but we'll unpack that later.

I said something to the effect of "if you are excited to see this new character then you have every reason to feel that way. He's a great character from an amazing game. But y'all can figure out I'm conflicted because of the 'despair' he brings to a certain pocket of Mario RPG fans."

See, when Hero was announced, I had a much easier time being on board and excited.
Brand new series? Check!
Plenty of representation on Nintendo? Check!
Huge cultural impact? Check!
FUN moveset concept? Oh you better believe there's a CHECK!
I won't lie. At Hero's announcement I wrote a jokey status on Facebook to the effect of "Check on your Geno fans. We are NOT okay right now."
but Hero was objectively a wonderful, undebatable, exciting addition to the roster that I would hope to see in future installments.... and I never even PLAYED Dragon Quest games!

To not have Geno after the Hero announcement was like having a crush on a dear friend. You'd be sad if they won't like you back but you're confident that you'd heal, grow, remain dear friends, and maybe even become good friends with their new partner. .... okay, a lot of us are the sort of nerds still in their cocoons so if you don't relate, I promise that you one day will. Stay kind and interesting.

Annnyyyyyyways.
Hero wasn't from a game I ever played before but I was entranced by the RNG moveset gimmick, the DBZ auteur character design, and how the anthology ensemble of protags felt like a medieval JRPG Doctor Who.
Then little bits of trivia like how one of the V.As always wanted to be in either Dragon Quest or Smash yet simultaneously achieved both dreams had really put me into further perspective of what sort of special work was put into that fighter pack.
I sat there that night last year and wrote "Hey... congrats to any Dragon Quest fans. You absolutely deserve to see Smash Bros fighter representation. The series has been a strong part of Nintendo history especially to its domestic demographics. I could never question their presence in this Nintendo pantheon and I hope the Heroes return for Smash 6 and onwards."

Sephiroth just.... didn't bring that same enthusiasm for me and I wish he did. It made sense for aforementioned reasons: the villain of one of the most critically acclaimed video games of all time! Awesome! Yet I still foolishly cling to the mental gymnastics of Super Smash Bros fighters needing to be Nintendo hall of famers. Cloud still made sense to me-- Sephiroth, less so. Whenever people complain about Cloud being a poor fit, I would put on this obnoxious Adam Conover impression and say "Actually, Cloud was conceptualized when the FFVII team was using a Nintendo 64 developer kit! He was among the final works before Nintendo parted ways from one of their greatest development partners who went on to work with their most consistent rival. Cloud is not just the divorce baby after 6 breathtaking games but is now a prodigal son who brought FFVII to the Switch"
Years later...
Sephiroth just.... felt like marketing cash grab in comparison?

So then I checked on how you guys were doing. I don't say much here unless I have something meaningful to contribute or really need to journal and reflect among people who get what I'm saying. (hello!)
Most of you were taking this well by my brief skimmings despite the cautionary lockdown.
It's healthy to be sad about things that you placed hobbyist passion and hope towards. If you don't believe me,then maybe my meager amount of ethos makes a difference. I've earned a bachelors in psychology and continue to practice mindfulness meditation so let me assure that if you're not letting yourself feel a bit sad after putting a PASSIONATE and LONG TERM investment in seeing something from your childhood be revived.... then you're not being kind enough to yourself. Do try to be mindful and observant if it's feeling painful rather than cathartic, of course. And definitely talk to someone if the exclusion of this wonderful character in a breatktaking ensemble has added to the misery of the world's present state as we endure a cold and potentially lonely winter. There are resources out there even if you just are in pain and have no thoughts of drastic final choices.

But also... if you're wondering what to do instead of what "not" to do.... Let the thoughts occur and let the feelings occur. You don't have to dwell on it or let it rule you but if you acknowledge it, confront it, and reflect upon it... Then you will grow. Emotions and thoughts are mutable. Meaning they are not set in stone. Therefore they are part of your lifelong journey of self improvement. They adapt and change as new information and experiences come upon you or are explored by you.
So for a night, I let myself be sad. I thought about why I felt sad. How Geno wasn't just a clump of coding and pixels simulating a block of wood who shoots BB gun pellets from his finger. I definitely acknowledged he was far more than the Smash Speculation Talking Points we stick to when explaining how he has "historical significance to Mario/Nintendo/Gaming." You know... the stuff you say to appeal to strangers on forums when they find our passion or confidence incredulous.....
To me it is so simple: he is the coolest character from the coolest Mario game. And that ONE game brought story and depth and LORE to a franchise that severely lacked depth.
Geno was the poster boy of HIGH STAKES in a franchise where its titular protagonist has an adventure because..... because.....................uhhhh............. because

"Oh-ah no! My-ah picnic*/ my-ah star festival date/ my-ah vacations/ my-ah "Castle Cake And Chill" hook up / or-ah whatever- was-ah ruined by a monster who captured my pretty friend... and now I gotta jump on platforms in 8 colorful worlds where the stakes never change while you beat-ah my game!"

(*and yes, I know Wart didn't capture Peach in the Super Mario Bros 2 picnic. Just let me have this bit, okay?)

So when people go "why do you want that random puppet in?"
I go "Dude, he was the game changer for Mario fans of the 90s!"
For many of us fans: he validated our imagination. Mario game stories were whatever we read in the manual and then whatever our imagination plugged in afterwards. Super Mario nerds with a creative spirit would find their thoughts wandering as they dodge goombas, and troopas, and bloopers, and bullet bills while the only storyline changes were... uhhh.
OOH WATER EVERYWHERE
AND THEN
NOW THERE'S QUICK SAND JUST LIKE JOHN MULANEY WORRIED ABOUT. Craaazyyyy!
AND NOW EVERYONE IS H U G E. WHAAAAAT?
all before Mario reaches world 6 of Super Platformer Siblings 5: Pressure Your Parents for the "Oh MY Godddd Nintendo Sixty Fouuuurrr" you opened up on Christmas.

I digress a little but I think you all know that feeling. Where you're tired of explaining the appeal to snide sarcastic "experts" at the arcade bars, on your friend's facebook status comment section, at convention hang outs, or when you hung out with your friends at parties full of gamers.
You want him in because why the [smurf] would you not want him in?? He had shown you that the fun vivid colorful world had the storytelling potential that Miyamoto would subsequently block Mario directors from exploring... and while you might understand Miyamoto's protective nature about keeping Mario away from lore-driven experiences, you never forget that Square Enix and a celestial being posessing an action figure taught you that the video game mascot Jumpy Wahoo Man could tell you a story in video games, as many will attest that Mario RPG was the gateway experience to the JRPG genre.
Geno had you craving for more but if you wanted it to continue in the realm of Mario then... .Well. Paper Mario delivered... for a time. ..... And we all know how that turned out. But you never forget the innovator of the franchise that is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

What I'm trying to do here.... is validate y'all a bit. I don't post here often but I'm here every stinkin' day for the past two years. And I checked speculation threads like Geno's and whatnot since the pre-Brawl days (shout out to S Snakey for his roster prediction blog. I was hooked on here after that).
Some of you were in clear pain Thursday night. Some of you were having a mere forgettably 'rough night.' Some of you were putting emotional labor into figuring out how to handle the turn of events AND how your peers were handling it... to those folks, I salute you.

And During a pandemic?? In the [smurfing] winter??? Wow, folks. Anyone who tells you to somehow not let out a humble (yet somehow manly and sexy) tear, or an admission of weariness, or a few moments of hobbyist despair is not a self-actualized emotionally healthy adult containing multitudes. Nothing is beneath your feelings. Explore them. Reflect on them.
What does Geno mean to you? Childhood? Whimsy? Imagination? Captivating storytelling? Memories of camaraderie with internet-peers? A fun water-cooler subject whenever a Smash Bros game is announced that suddenly has become apparent to you that it's been nearly twenty years and he's still your #1 pick among the other worthy members of the Nintendo pantheon?
Acknowledge your feelings, articulate your sensations. Tell about it to someone you trust. You'll feel better after you let yourself feel worse.

..... these are the things I wish I knew to say the night where things were at their most intense. But y'all are cool and self-reliant. I'm sure I'm merely reaffirming what most of you already know... but if you're reading this and you needed to hear it- it's okay. I gotchu, fam.

So..... Where do we go from here?
Fatman has crunched some damn fine insightful numbers on Mii Fighter patterns. And us Smash fans sure love our patterns, don't we? And who really ever lost an emotional/mental health battle by calmly saying "it's not over until we see a body?"

I've reflected and decided there is no harm in waiting until Thursday. And if the costume is our answer then it surely will be a delight to behold compared to the Sm4sh era Mii Gunner with the freaky looking beady eyed face cosplaying Geno in that trailer. Back then 'good enough' was good enough and I cheered like it was a Superbowl winning touchdown.

And meanwhile, it's so tempting to just .... say "he's not in and to assume otherwise is to cling to a cultist defense mechanicsm." Maybe he's in and maybe he's not but... I think a big reason I kept saying for the past two nights that "it's healthier to say he's not in than hope that he could still be in" is because someone I care about was indoctrinated into what is essentially a cult.
And cultists love conclusion shopping. It's why I had no qualms stepping to tell you (in nicer ways) that this thread's intense over-analysis of the Gamestop debacle was bat[smurf] awkward and unbecoming. You guys are better than cultists. Your world doesn't come crashing down when someone challenges your reality. If Geno is shown off as a costume Thursday, or Sakurai makes a statement that his "chances drastic go down" to a 33rd and 1/3rd chance... Then y'all are gonna be chill and then reapply that passion into other domains of your life because you contain multitudes. And then we'll be back for Smash 6- directed by Sakurai or whomever his appointed successor is.

The last thing I want to say is that.... I kinda dreaded the day where Geno fans meet a strong consensus where he isn't likely to arrive. Not because things don't pan out but I kinda.... expected us to be a laughing stock even to the (silent majority of) level headed gaming community circles. I expected a wave of "BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SEPHIROTH IS IN. YOU SMURFING CULTISTS. HOW'S THAT Q-ERO Q-ERO COLA?"
and what did we get? Tactless trolls, a wave of empathy in various communities, and an even deeper wave of indifference. The majority of the tactless comments I've seen on Twitter come from folks that, after a curious sift through theri tweets, seem like they are far from any sort of people I'd ever want to be seen in a room with.

Hell, plenty said they'd rather break bread with avid Geno stans who grasp at straws than the ignorant insulting trolls who belittle them.

If you've read this far after realizing 3 sentences in that I'm not here to talk about why he might be likely to come back, then I hope this reaffirmed you. This was cathartic for me.
Thank you for years of insight and fun. It means more than you know.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well then. I'm glad to see the thread being reopened after these last days. It was regrettable but it was just going to happen. People would be upset and stuff would be said but as long as people come around then it's ok.

After seeing all of these last pages there's not much I can say that hasn't been said already considering the humongous posts by now, it's that there's a 50/50 chance of Geno's fate being revealed. Either we see him as a Mii Costume on Thursday or he's still out there, waiting.

Square could go the FFVII route and provide Mii costumes from the game plus some miscellaneous SE Mii costumes that are not Geno giving him a chance or go the Stingy Enix and just provide Geno, the Chocobo hat and that's it (fill out the rest of the wave with either missing or new costumes unrelated).

I'll honestly go expecting Geno to be shown but you never know. Let's just wait and find out for the presentation on the 17th...

:bowser: :starman:.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of what happens on the 17th you guys Smash does not end here. There will be either a port of this game on their next console or a new Smash game. Smash will go on as long as Nintendo is a company. We've already exhausted so many of the first party options at this point that there's only so many more picks that can be made. It's tough because of perspective but K. Rool was probably one of the most niche picks of all time and he got in as soon as he got requests and probably got one of the most faithful character creations of all time. Geno was trending on Twitter on the day of the Game Awards and the demand as ALWAYS been there. It's literally just been bad luck constantly keeping the character from actually getting in.

And we will see how it all goes. There aren't any strict rules even if his costume shows up (Bomberman got a nice costume after being an assist and the models are almost identical). As someone who's more of an outsider into this community this is probably the last character I personally want just to make the series feel complete even without any relationship to the character so we'll see what happens!

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah if this is when the costume shows up it's because costumes take a backseat to characters, and Square obviously likes to consolidate their content into exclusive releases, free from other companies. So it's not because they were somehow ****ing with you with the goal of making you wait, it's because this is when the Square character releases, and characters take precedence. It just happens that the character didn't release until two years post-launch.

And yes there was a Square Enix character earlier, but given that that was an Enix character and this is a Square character, and Geno is a Square character, they proceeded to break up the content in this way. Which makes sense.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
While I was thinking to myself, I noticed something weird: neither Nintendo nor Sakurai haven’t clarified how long Sephiroth’s showcase will be on Thursday. Every time a character showcase is announced, or “Mr. Sakurai Presents”, the time length has ALWAYS been specified.
The only exceptions were Joker and Banjo, although Joker’s was shadow-dropped(without Sakurai of course), and Banjo’s was announced and then shown immediately after the fall 2019 Direct, so there was no need to announce the length at those times.

With that said, why haven’t they still clarified how long Sephiroth’s showcase is? The typical answer would be lazy PR people but I just don’t see that considering that they’ve always specified each showcase’s length. I don’t know, I’m not saying I expect Challenger Pack 9 to be shown here but something feels off.

Last edited:
Reactions: QQS

dream1ng

Smash Lord
While I was thinking to myself, I noticed something weird: neither Nintendo nor Sakurai haven’t clarified how long Sephiroth’s showcase will be on Thursday. Every time a character showcase is announced, or “Mr. Sakurai Presents”, the time length has ALWAYS been specified.
The only exceptions were Joker and Banjo, although Joker’s was shadow-dropped(without Sakurai of course), and Banjo’s was announced and then shown immediately after the fall 2019 Direct, so there was no need to announce the length at those times.

With that said, why haven’t they still clarified how long Sephiroth’s showcase is? The typical answer would be lazy PR people but I just don’t see that considering that they’ve always specified each showcase’s length. I don’t know, I’m not saying I expect Challenger Pack 9 to be shown here but something feels off.
Keep in mind the page for the Japanese stream has already specified there won't be announcements of future characters.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind the page for the Japanese stream has already specified there won't be announcements of future characters.
Oh I’m certainly aware of that, I’m just wondering if there’s going to be any other major additions in the next update that we haven’t seen before.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Description on the Japanese stream says 35 minutes.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Honestly wouldn`t give up hope for Geno at all. I mean this wave of dlc has already broken so many fan rules so far, so who`s to say there can be only one Square rep.

Besides, while I`m personally really content with Steve and Sephiroth, there hasn`t really been a character to appeal to the hardcore smash demographic and there`s hardly a better character to fill that role than Geno. I`m willing to bet Sakurai knows how popular Geno is and it wouldn`t make sense to exclude his mii costume for so long only for it to appear again.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 295462View attachment 295463View attachment 295464

DONT YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?

I see Geno joining the Party when he is ready to fal down. Geno Squares into Battle or Awakens or Falls or Aligns or Stars or whatever! I see me being the telling a lot of people: “YOU DIDNT HAVE ANY GOD DAMN FAITH LIKE QQS”

Those are screenshots from where BANJO&KAZOOIE JOINED THE BATTLE. I see the same with Geno, for all the evidence we know + Sakurai’s recognition.

I see Fatmanonice Fatmanonice telling us all his words on this moment & papagenos papagenos making videos of this magic moment.

There’s no chance in hell that Geno isn’t going to join the party where he belongs.
Man I still remember my reaction and reading everyone's reaction in the Banjo thread. Good times...

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Personally I do believe his mii costume will show up.

It not showing up makes it a bit too obvious he would be a character later down the road. And I can’t see them going this route simply because Sakurai seems to like surprises.

Although I guess nothing really is 100% when it comes to predictions for smash.

On the other hand, it’s hard to believe square would let Geno take any time away from their own series character and content.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'd argue the biggest thing that has come true this year is that Power of Six theory would hold up extremely well. Last fall, after Terry's presentation, we theorized that "missing" Mii costumes would be predictors for remaining character packs. Judgeheihachi came up with the original concept on GameFAQs and it's pretty easy to find in the search engine here and there. Basically, it allowed us to predict the following:

-Season 2 would more than likely have packs focused on the following companies: Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and a new company to Smash (my theory has always been a Western company: first Bethesda and then Activision after Byleth was confirmed)

-It was very likely that several companies would double dip for DLC.

What's interesting about this, however, is that the names most heard for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix (Waluigi, Master Chief, and Geno) wound up being Min Min, Steve (heard in 2018), and Sephiroth (also heard in 2018). This could potentially present the theory that Waluigi, Master Chief, and Geno were never meant to get full packs but could be bonuses so we'll have to see how things play out.
I agree that the Power of Six theory is looking pretty dang good so far. I would like to ask a question about the remaining slots for Namco, Capcom and other. What would be the off chance that there would be no new company getting a fighter? The only reason I ask this is because of the copyright at the end of the reveal trailers since Steve. (I cannot screen cap it for the life of me)

It is a near perfect alignment of credits, ending with Mojang AB. Now of course on the official webiste https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/ at the very bottom, Mojang AB is not aligned, but starting a new row. So it could go either way, but I thought I would bring up the possibility on the off chance that Geno does not show up as a Mii Costume on Thursday.

EDIT: Which to me would make me think the remaining spots could be Namco, Capcom and a double dip of some kind. Perhaps Microsoft or Square could get a third of some kind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally I do believe his mii costume will show up.

It not showing up makes it a bit too obvious he would be a character later down the road. And I can’t see them going this route simply because Sakurai seems to like surprises.

Although I guess nothing really is 100% when it comes to predictions for smash.

On the other hand, it’s hard to believe square would let Geno take any time away from their own series character and content.
Eh, multiple people saw Dark Samus and Isabelle coming because the assist trophies were missing. Not to mention Ike’s costume based off Chrom. I think you could say the same that some people wouldn’t be surprised if Geno shows up because the costume is missing ever since Hero’s presentation.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

Optimism is a hell of drug. :ultpacman:

Thursday can't arrive fast enough
That has me so nervous. December 17th, 2020 is gonna be like our day of reckoning. I'm still trying to be as positive as I can, but I can't deny that little possibility of the costume returning has me scared.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Much as we can support Geno for the next Smash game if his costume indeed returns this Thursday... it sure would be a shame if he missed out on the opportunity to duke it with every character in the series.
View attachment 295483
If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure the next game will be a port, and if there's enough demand 4 more dlc, they may start a new cycle of support

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Man am I happy to see the thread getting all optimistic! As everyone notes, yeah, Geno DIDN'T show up with Hero! So he doesn't NEED to show up with Sephiroth!

Geno still has a shot. I think Sephiroth is his biggest hurdle yet, but if his Mii costume is MIA, I have no doubt he'll be playable.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Man am I happy to see the thread getting all optimistic! As everyone notes, yeah, Geno DIDN'T show up with Hero! So he doesn't NEED to show up with Sephiroth!

Geno still has a shot. I think Sephiroth is his biggest hurdle yet, but if his Mii costume is MIA, I have no doubt he'll be playable.
Personally I'm going in with cautious optimism. It's true he didn't come with Hero, but he could still easily come with Sephiroth given he's also a Square character. Can he survive not one, but two waves of Square costumes? I'm glad we only need to wait until Thursday, and not as long as we had to for Hero.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Optimism is a hell of drug. :ultpacman:

That has me so nervous. December 17th, 2020 is gonna be like our day of reckoning. I'm still trying to be as positive as I can, but I can't deny that little possibility of the costume returning has me scared.
I have a decent amount of hope left in me that he can survive this (and I do think there’s arguments to be made on why he indeed could). However I also mostly have shifted my personal mindset is to go in already expecting the costume so it’s not that much of a bummer if he is indeed Miid. I’m just eager to know the answer at the end of the day lol

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Been a while, I still think Geno is on the table (And Sora but he really didn't take a hit after Sephiroth because of Disney owning KH). I would like to throw my hat in the ring of potential costumes to come with Sephiroth.

I think Barret, Tifa, a Moogle hat and the return of the Chocobo hat are safe bets, and I remember a while ago how Fatmanonice was talking about a potential 2B costume and I think if it's real it'll appear here. The last costume I think will be there will be Noctis; Square loves pushing FF15 and crossing over Noctis in a lot of other games including fightings games as he's playable in Tekken 7.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom