• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Even if Geno is confirmed not coming as a fighter in a few days, this is still kinda what I was hoping for - that if Geno wasn't coming, they'd just go ahead and say so instead of dragging it out and leaving his fate up in the air through the whole rest of the DLC.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Personally I'm going in with cautious optimism. It's true he didn't come with Hero, but he could still easily come with Sephiroth given he's also a Square character. Can he survive not one, but two waves of Square costumes? I'm glad we only need to wait until Thursday, and not as long as we had to for Hero.
Someone brought this up earlier, but can you imagine if Sephiroth was the second E3 reveal months ago and we would've had to wait months to see his Mii costumes? Looks like Smash being delayed due to COVID has a silver lining.

God just imagine the agony we'd be in for those months... shudder I didn't think there would be a fate worse than Nintendo's silence that summer.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Someone brought this up earlier, but can you imagine if Sephiroth was the second E3 reveal months ago and we would've had to wait months to see his Mii costumes? Looks like Smash being delayed due to COVID has a silver lining.

God just imagine the agony we'd be in for those months... shudder I didn't think there would be a fate worse than Nintendo's silence that summer.
Yeah, that's a very scary thought... the uncertainty about Geno made me stressed out beyond belief the first few days after the Game Awards, and honestly still a little bit now. If this was stretched out for several months on end all during this damn quarantine it'd be just, uggggh.

As a side note, I think posting in here again actually made me cope with the stress a little. I guess thinking up positive things to write down and sharing it with you all helps me more than I'd imagine.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's a very scary thought... the uncertainty about Geno made me stressed out beyond belief the first few days after the Game Awards, and honestly still a little bit now. If this was stretched out for several months on end all during this damn quarantine it'd be just, uggggh.

As a side note, I think posting in here again actually made me cope with the stress a little. I guess thinking up positive things to write down and sharing it with you all helps me more than I'd imagine.
Finding empathy from people who feel the same as you can help a lot with coping. Especially if it fills you with legitimate hope.
And worst case scenario, we'll still have people to discuss our frustrations with. "Misery loves company" as they say. But hey, we're still in this, even if it's just for a bit longer.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Not a Geno supporter , but I’m temped to go premium for the sake for mods and what they have to deal with on Thursday form both sides

To this day, while I still don’t understand his appeal and I have my criticism of y’all, at the end of the day, you all have my sympathy

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Not a Geno supporter , but I’m temped to go premium for the sake for mods and what they have to deal with on Thursday form both sides

To this day, while I still don’t understand his appeal and I have my criticism of y’all, at the end of the day, you all have my sympathy
I feel like a lot of the internal tension got let out right after the Sephiroth reveal, the few ultra reactionary people already clearly think he's deconfirmed regardless, it's the advantage of having a short but sweet gap between the "probably deconfirmed drop" and the actual kill switch. I really don't think it will be that bad. As for the detractors, whatever. They'll come in, make a few stupid posts, get called out for being douchebags, and get banned, like they pretty much always do.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I'm back for my once every couple hundred pages post.

Personally, I...don't super see Geno happening, at this point. I'm not going to give up hope though! If Ultimate has proven anything to me, it's that Sakurai really couldn't care less about what we deem possible or likely. Only rule is the character has to originate from a videogame.

Something about Sephiroth's reveal is what also made me just...stop caring? Geno has been my #1 ever since Mega Man got in (and even before that he was #2) but I've always paced myself with "I'm not going to bother speculating about characters that, realistically, will never happen"

But now we have Sephiroth. Before that we got Terry, and Banjo, and Hero, and Joker, and Ridley, and- you get my point.

So, screw it. Do I think Geno's odds are as high as before? No. But I still think he can make it in! Throw Geno at me. Throw Akuma. Throw Phoenix Wright.

I know this isn't something everyone agrees on, but Ultimate's roster is so wild already that we could have stopped halfway through pass 1 and I would have been more than satisfied. There's 3 slots left, and I don't even think I could be disappointed at this point.

Here's wishing for Geno though! Will always be my #1 until he makes it!

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I... want to believe. Square seems to be on good terms about cooperating with Nintendo. More Final Fantasy content with Sephiroth and even the first CGI trailer with Cloud, and a legendary one at that, probably my favorite out of all the CGI reveals. I don’t know what to believe at this point. I’ve always known that Geno is a Square character, but he’s technically a Mario rep. That’s what gives me hope, despite it being as small as the stars in the night sky that I see from my window. It’s been said a million times and it will keep on being said, Geno is in such an odd spot. He’s owned by one company, but he’s a rep from a series that’s owned by a different company. It’s the one thing keeping me on this train. No matter how many Square Enix characters show up, that’s only half of Geno.

On a side note my big sister got me a Geno doll as a very late birthday present! She just flew in today for the holidays. I tried to upload a picture but it wasn’t working.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Optimism is a hell of drug. :ultpacman:

That has me so nervous. December 17th, 2020 is gonna be like our day of reckoning. I'm still trying to be as positive as I can, but I can't deny that little possibility of the costume returning has me scared.
Little?
honestly, the odds aren´t little, they´re like 95%
there´s a reason why most regulars in this thread are still dealing with the five stages of grief.
I am resigned to the fate that our beloved geno is gonna be a mii costume. That five percent that I have is because the game has broken all the rules, it´s the ultimate smash, and Sakurai has kicked out the jams.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright comrades... I'm making this post for you with anxiety because, with my wife, her having a decent idea of what's going to happen helps mentally prep her a lot for stressful events. Sephiroth's Mii costume segment...

-These are typically towards the end of the presentation in the last 5 to 10 minutes. That means for the first 25 minutes of Sephiroth's presentation, you don't need to worry about Geno so just watch it for what it is.

-Every single Mii costume segment has started with a brand new Mii costume. Geno will not be the first Mii costume shown unless there's literally no new Mii costumes or Final Fantasy costumes.

-If the character's franchise has any costumes at all, they go first. This means Final Fantasy costumes will go first. So it will go new Final Fantasy costume/s and then Chocobo.

-Old costumes are always immediately following the first franchise/company of the pack. In 5 of the 7 presentations, this means they were in the middle.

-If Geno is a Mii costume, he will immediately follow Chocobo. Period. The old costumes are always shown together and there's no gaps between them.

-5 of the 7 presentations ended on a new Mii costume. The two exceptions were pairs from Smash 4 (Tails and Knuckles and Akira and Jacky).

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Some newcomers here who still have some hope yeah, but a lot of veterans of the thread....many pretty much have come to terms with the inevitable.

Although I still try to cling to the hope that he's the final character reveal....if we get a mii costume....it's over. I can't see Nintendo/sakurai pulling a several month long K.rool/banjo moment, where after us all having lost hope from the costume reveal, they suddenly go "Lol....jking here's the real Geno"
I can see Sakurai doing that.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I don't know how likely this is, but something I've thought about is that maybe Geno wouldn't show up as a character until all the Smash 4 Mii costumes return. Like maybe they know that we notice that each pack comes with at least 1 returning costume, so they continue that but save Geno for last. Then at the point where Geno is the only costume that hasn't returned, they reveal him as that pack's fighter.

Which Mii costumes still haven't returned yet? I could see something like Sephiroth coming with Chocobo, #9 coming with Monster Hunter (maybe this would line up near Monster Hunter Rise's release date), #10 coming with Lloyd, and then Fighter #11 is Geno. Am I forgetting any costumes?
Don't get me wrong if we get Geno I'm willing to accept any heads we have to step on to get there even if they're other characters I care about like Crash and Rayman, but if we get in that way I will feel even worse for Heihachi fans and definitely be going over to the Llyod thread to say how sorry I am. They don't deserve that. It'd leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths if Geno got in that way. Again if we get him I'm happy no matter how we get him but it would be extremely terrible for those other fanbases.

What worries me most right now is that they saved Heihachi for Min Mins costume wave instead of plugging him in Terry's despite Heihachi's popularity and that there was really no reason to hold the costume. There's no reason they wouldn't do the same to Geno because clearly they don't care about prolonging the wait and see mii costumes as a high honor for characters who didn't make it in. It makes sense honestly as it keeps Smash trending the more you string along the big fanbases so there's more people talking about the game. That being said I'm still with you guys and will continue to hold out hope for Geno no matter what happens Thursday.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Occasional lurker, long-time Geno supporter here. Just stopping by to say I've been supporting Geno for nearly 15 years now, and I plan to see it through to the end. Sephiroth certainly diminished my hopes for Geno, but he's not knocked out just yet. I would rather Geno be a Mii costume than not in the game at all, but here's to hoping he doesn't show up on Thursday's Mii costume segment. Keep the dream alive just a bit longer.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hm why do people get so offensed by Geno i mean he is pretty obscour that if someone would get mad about Ark not being in the game
He's popular enough that Sakurai commented on his long-lasting popularity towards the end of Smash 4's DLC, and with DLC characters having a clearly defined limit, any popular character is seen as a "threat" to someone's character of choice making it in. (it also might not help that Super Mario RPG wasn't released in Europe until the Wii, which means that quite a few people from Europe wouldn't be familiar with the character, and younger people might not have played the game since it's not on the Switch and the Wii U was a flop)

If you're asking why people would be upset if he's not in the game, I think that would be obvious - because they want to see him playable, and have wanted to see that for years.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Much as we can support Geno for the next Smash game if his costume indeed returns this Thursday... it sure would be a shame if he missed out on the opportunity to duke it with every character in the series.
View attachment 295483
I agree. I believe Geno deserves to duke it out with every veteran and his long heavily requested brethrens Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Hm why do people get so offensed by Geno i mean he is pretty obscour that if someone would get mad about Ark not being in the game
You also have to consider where you're posting. This is the Geno thread that's been going on for thousands of pages. You're going to get more opinionated responses from some of the more dedicated fans here. As to why people are holding on, Sakurai has expressed interest in the past, and Nintendo doesn't seem to be willing to 100% bury the SMRPG hatchet.

Now, if you venture outside of this board, you'll find a lot of groups that strongly feel that Geno never stood a chance, or at least a huge uphill battle. With the Sephiroth reveal I ended up asking many of my friends and family what they thought or if they recognized him, and while not all of them knew his name / about him, they at least could recognize him. My fiancee, while not knowing Sephiroth or Geno, thought that Sephiroth was "the coolest looking character in Smash" after showing her the trailer. I asked the same people about Geno, just out of curiosity and very few recognized him. Obviously this doesn't matter, Nintendo is going to pick who they want, but Nintendo also is going to pick who is more likely to get them money. Geno will appeal to some older fans (hell, I was really rooting for him), but with FFVII Remake coming out recently and FFVII objectively being a far more successful game than Super Mario RPG, it's tough.

I don't think Geno is still an impossibility. I think if I was a betting man I'd put money on him being a Premium Mii Costume on Thursday (and hey, the Bomberman one looks great, I wouldn't be upset, though I understand those who would be.) I'd love to be wrong though and have him be like a pass ending Piranha Plant standalone DLC or something. I really don't see him being one of the remaining 3 now.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
He's popular enough that Sakurai commented on his long-lasting popularity towards the end of Smash 4's DLC, and with DLC characters having a clearly defined limit, any popular character is seen as a "threat" to someone's character of choice making it in. (it also might not help that Super Mario RPG wasn't released in Europe until the Wii, which means that quite a few people from Europe wouldn't be familiar with the character, and younger people might not have played the game since it's not on the Switch and the Wii U was a flop)

If you're asking why people would be upset if he's not in the game, I think that would be obvious - because they want to see him playable, and have wanted to see that for years.
I dont have anything against him(though he really should include Mallow) i just dont get it i mean i always try to defend importance which is often overlooked for popularity i mean what if mario wasnt in and there isnt high demand for him you would be confused too right?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I agree. I believe Geno deserves to duke it out with everyone veteran and his long heavily requested brethrens Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie.
Yesssss. If I'm being honest, the fact Sakurai and Nintendo were making an effort to add fan favorites to Smash is one of the main reasons I absolutely believe Geno must still be coming. I know people liked some of the latest newcomers, but they were never big requests by fans (except for maybe Steve but he's a very recent request in the grand scheme of things and I'm pretty sure he wasn't picked for being a fan favorite).

I always keep thinking back to how the last character we got who was an overt fan pick was Banjo, and that was a year and a half ago, and maybe not so coincidentally, he was the last character I truly felt hyped for (besides kinda Min Min). I even remember sometime after Banjo's reveal, Sakurai said something along the lines of wanting to add more popularly requested characters in the same vein as Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo, which so far hasn't happened yet. And I think you know what I'm getting at now...

genoje2b.png

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Undertale still impacted a huge majority of those who played it, in the same way I imagine SMRPG impacted those who played it. Wait, what even is Deltarune to Undertale?
Paralleldimensionquel i guess (could be both but in a Thematic sense its a sequel)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I dont have anything against him(though he really should include Mallow) i just dont get it i mean i always try to defend importance which is often overlooked for popularity i mean what if mario wasnt in and there isnt high demand for him you would be confused too right?
Geno doesn't have many appearances, but that's entirely due to him being in the unusual spot of being a Mario character that's owned by Square-Enix. As a result, there are maybe four games in total (outside of Smash) that he could have possibly appeared in (Fortune Street on the Wii, Mario Sports Mix on the Wii, Mario 3-on-3 Hoops on the DS, and Super Mario RPG) since it's not often that Square-Enix does anything with the Mario franchise.

I'd suggest playing Super Mario RPG (if you haven't already) to get an idea of why people support the character, but unfortunately, there aren't a ton of options for that at the moment. (aside from tracking down a SNES cartridge, which might not be an option if you live in Europe, the only ways to play it legally are through an SNES Mini or the Wii U's eShop - it's one of those games that really should be on the Switch's SNES Online app by now, but there are plenty of weird absences on that front, like Donkey Kong Country 3 or Earthbound)

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Geno doesn't have many appearances, but that's entirely due to him being in the unusual spot of being a Mario character that's owned by Square-Enix. As a result, there are maybe four games in total (outside of Smash) that he could have possibly appeared in (Fortune Street on the Wii, Mario Sports Mix on the Wii, Mario 3-on-3 Hoops on the DS, and Super Mario RPG) since it's not often that Square-Enix does anything with the Mario franchise.

I'd suggest playing Super Mario RPG (if you haven't already) to get an idea of why people support the character, but unfortunately, there aren't a ton of options for that at the moment. (aside from tracking down a SNES cartridge, which might not be an option if you live in Europe, the only way to play it legally are through an SNES Mini or the Wii U's eShop)
I already watched a LetsPlay i mean by i dont get not that people like him but that people Like and Support him like he was the second coming of Masterhand
Maybe its just a bunch of coincidenses i guess
considering that this thread was paused after sephiroth and i dont want this to repeat itself i will stop posting here for a while Kay bye for now👋!

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Alright comrades... I'm making this post for you with anxiety because, with my wife, her having a decent idea of what's going to happen helps mentally prep her a lot for stressful events. Sephiroth's Mii costume segment...

-These are typically towards the end of the presentation in the last 5 to 10 minutes. That means for the first 25 minutes of Sephiroth's presentation, you don't need to worry about Geno so just watch it for what it is.

-Every single Mii costume segment has started with a brand new Mii costume. Geno will not be the first Mii costume shown unless there's literally no new Mii costumes or Final Fantasy costumes.

-If the character's franchise has any costumes at all, they go first. This means Final Fantasy costumes will go first. So it will go new Final Fantasy costume/s and then Chocobo.

-Old costumes are always immediately following the first franchise/company of the pack. In 5 of the 7 presentations, this means they were in the middle.

-If Geno is a Mii costume, he will immediately follow Chocobo. Period. The old costumes are always shown together and there's no gaps between them.

-5 of the 7 presentations ended on a new Mii costume. The two exceptions were pairs from Smash 4 (Tails and Knuckles and Akira and Jacky).
With this mindset I can see a lot of good from this though most of my thought process is ASSUMING that cacomallow is real

-Starting with "If the character's franchise has any costumes at all, they go first" meaning if mallow is real they would wait for Geno to be released as a fighter

-Also I believe that all RETURNING Mii costumes were NEVER paired with NEW ONES (Might be forgetting one) like example would be Akira and Jacky didn't come with any NEW Virtua fighter Mii costumes

If we get Geno as a Mii costume and ONLY that I will say that Cacomallow is FAKE

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Due to everyone going on, I noticed there was a big lack of holiday cheer. So I made a few things:

Also, here is a Holiday Geno and Holiday Geno Hat too!!!
If any of you wanted to play the video and it didn’t work, it’s fixed now.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
With this mindset I can see a lot of good from this though most of my thought process is ASSUMING that cacomallow is real

-Starting with "If the character's franchise has any costumes at all, they go first" meaning if mallow is real they would wait for Geno to be released as a fighter

-Also I believe that all RETURNING Mii costumes were NEVER paired with NEW ONES (Might be forgetting one) like example would be Akira and Jacky didn't come with any NEW Virtua fighter Mii costumes

If we get Geno as a Mii costume and ONLY that I will say that Cacomallow is FAKE
I don't see it likely and I don't want to be the bad guy but couldn't Cacomallow be real and have Geno as a Premium Mii Costume? Cacodemon would be coming later, and the costumes for Thursday could be like Tifa, Barrett, Black Mage, Chocobo, Geno (Premium), and Mallow. The Cacomallow video never showed that Geno didn't exist.

I've always been on team real for Cacomallow just because it always looked pretty good and I've had no real reason to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
at least undertale has a sequel with the same characters(Paralel dimension)
I know you said that you weren't posting here anymore for now but just wanted to respond to this. Deltatune does not currently have the same world or all the same characters as Undertale. It's not a sequel but it's not not a sequel. It's not a direct correlation but Paper Mario was intended to originally be SMRPG 2 before the development direction had to shift. And Mario & Luigi directly use many of the same game mechanics that SMRPG used. This is why both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are seen as the spiritual successors of SMRPG. While Geno may not be prominent in either of these successors, he represents what led to them. It's like if there was some kind of spinoff UT game in the future that only used Frisk, Toriel, Asgore, and others but left out Sans and Papyrus because UT rights were bought by another company and those characters existed in some sort of legal limbo. Now you technically have the main characters in this spinoff but it's missing two very iconic and beloved characters from the original game(s) that led to this spinoff which is now accepted as the only way for this series to continue. Of course people aren't going to forget about Sans and Papyrus. Of course if UT was being considered for Smash and Frisk, Toriel, Asgore, etc were already in people would still want Sans and Papyrus in as well because they represent the special experience with the original games that they will never be able to see the light of day again any other way due to legal issues. It's not that complicated. There's plenty of characters I don't care about at all but I can absolutely make a case for why they should get into Smash and why they are beloved by their fanbase.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I know you said that you weren't posting here anymore for now but just wanted to respond to this. Deltatune does not currently have the same world or all the same characters as Undertale. It's not a sequel but it's not not a sequel. It's not a direct correlation but Paper Mario was intended to originally be SMRPG 2 before the development direction had to shift. And Mario & Luigi directly use many of the same game mechanics that SMRPG used. This is why both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are seen as the spiritual successors of SMRPG. While Geno may not be prominent in either of these successors, he represents what led to them. It's like if there was some kind of spinoff UT game in the future that only used Frisk, Toriel, Asgore, and others but left out Sans and Papyrus because UT rights were bought by another company and those characters existed in some sort of legal limbo. Now you technically have the main characters in this spinoff but it's missing two very iconic and beloved characters from the original game(s) that led to this spinoff which is now accepted as the only way for this series to continue. Of course people aren't going to forget about Sans and Papyrus. Of course if UT was being considered for Smash and Frisk, Toriel, Asgore, etc were already in people would still want Sans and Papyrus in as well because they represent the special experience with the original games that they will never be able to see the light of day again any other way due to legal issues. It's not that complicated. There's plenty of characters I don't care about at all but I can absolutely make a case for why they should get into Smash and why they are beloved by their fanbase.
MMMMMMMMMh! (it hurts i want to answer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom