• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I highly disagree, simply because Geno’s chances don’t rely on the make-up of these Mii Fighters. Now, I believe all Smash 4 costumes will return as a baseline, with the only exception of course being an upgrade. What these statistics don’t address is that Geno’s costume most likely takes priority because of this. Geno‘s costume wouldn’t miss out based on the team nicely balancing the types (which already presupposes that the team carefully balances these statistics rather than them being the way things went organically given the choices made and character of the pack) because of the principle that had upueld Geno for so long imo: That his missing Mii costume is a sign at playability)

I’m pretty foggy right now so it might not really make sense but this isn’t a “picking teams at gym“ kind of thing, where Geno’s missing out on costumes because Barret got picked over him and the team going “well we couldnt fit the geno costume in but as a consolation prize he’s playable”
It isn't a matter of deliberate balance but probability based on what has happened so far. For example:

-6 of the 7 packs have come with at least one new Brawler.

-6 of the 7 packs have come with at least one new Swordfighter.

-5 of the 7 packs specifically have come with at least one new costume from either the character's franchise or company.

That's what my previous post pointed out. Geno would have to be a first or second in a number of categories based on probability.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
oh hey were finally open again.

so my bet for the horse race this time is going to be

Barret and Tifa for the obligatory cast member inclusions

Chocobo hat and Geno for our smash 4 returnees

and a mix of random square properties to fill out the rest. I think 2B is by far the most likely though I think Crono might have a decent shot thanks to his inclusion on the list. Someone I think people are sleeping on though is Laura croft. Would certainly explain the unusually western slanted timing for this presentation if she was the fancy mii this go-around.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The presentation is significantly later in the day than all but Banjo's but I don't think there will be a character reveal in it. I feel there's a reason why it's later in the day but I don't think that's the reason. Like I talked about the other day, every presentation has come with a surprise of some kind and there's "something" in this presentation that they want a big Western audience for. I just don't know what.
The timing does leave room for something. When you brought up the Banjo presentation, it was later since it followed the Direct in September. So although I don't expect in the Sakurai Presents video to talk about anything relating to DLC fighters, since it specifically says it won't, there is something interesting to watch out for.

EDIT: Ideally I hope for a Nintendo "thing" Thursday before the Sakurai video. That would be nice.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What are the chances of a Geno deluxe mii costume that has one of his moves. We don’t technically know what makes a “deluxe mii costume”.

Sans is a sans model

Same with cuphead and volt boy

And then this is where things get weirder because bomberman gets his own bomberman model but then gets different alt colours.

Is it possible to see a Geno deluxe with a Geno move and a music track or is that just crazy talk.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Geno is next like I think, it's going to be crazy to think that Sakurai had to pull so many strings to get him in as I think it might be obvious Square-Enix wanted Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest represented first before they would allow Sakurai to add Geno. I think this would be more apparent if he's next because of him coming right after Sephiroth. If Sephiroth and Geno are both in Fighter's Pass 2, I think that will confirm all of our conspiracy theories about Square-Enix and Sakurai's negotiations.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It isn't a matter of deliberate balance but probability based on what has happened so far. For example:

-6 of the 7 packs have come with at least one new Brawler.

-6 of the 7 packs have come with at least one new Swordfighter.

-5 of the 7 packs specifically have come with at least one new costume from either the character's franchise or company.

That's what my previous post pointed out. Geno would have to be a first or second in a number of categories based on probability.
But, almost all of the Smash 4 costumes have returned and most likely all of them will at the end of the DLC run. This is most likely the only chance for the Geno costume to return, unless he’s playable or some freak accident happens and Square makes the costume release coincide with a SMRPG rerelease. I think that probability is much more likely to account for the scenario ahead of us because it relates to the intent of the developers rather than leaving Geno’s status up to an unweighted rat race where we have five marbles in a vase and four get picked as costumes and the one that is not picked is automatically evidenced to be playable.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But, almost all of the Smash 4 costumes have returned and most likely all of them will at the end of the DLC run. This is most likely the only chance for the Geno costume to return, unless he’s playable or some freak accident happens and Square makes the costume release coincide with a SMRPG rerelease. I think that probability is much more likely to account for the scenario ahead of us because it relates to the intent of the developers rather than leaving Geno’s status up to an unweighted rat race where we have five marbles in a vase and four get picked as costumes and the one that is not picked is automatically evidenced to be playable.
Who's to say the Geno Mii costume can't come back with playable Geno in his pack. Afterall, the K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, and Chrom Mii costumes all came back in base game despite all of them being upgraded to fighters.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
What are the chances of a Geno deluxe mii costume that has one of his moves. We don’t technically know what makes a “deluxe mii costume”.

Sans is a sans model

Same with cuphead and volt boy

And then this is where things get weirder because bomberman gets his own bomberman model but then gets different alt colours.

Is it possible to see a Geno deluxe with a Geno move and a music track or is that just crazy talk.
This is an interesting thought. Maybe Sephiroth could bring more Mii customization. I don't think that's too farfetched. All fighter packs have had something unexpected so far as Fatman pointed out like stage builder with Joker, Steve's crazy stage options, etc so more Mii customization would actually be pretty cool. I'm not thinking it's likely but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Staarih

Smash Master
The timing does leave room for something. When you brought up the Banjo presentation, it was later since it followed the Direct in September. So although I don't expect in the Sakurai Presents video to talk about anything relating to DLC fighters, since it specifically says it won't, there is something interesting to watch out for.

EDIT: Ideally I hope for a Nintendo "thing" Thursday before the Sakurai video. That would be nice.
Could the timing of the presentation be related to a potential "out now!" for Sephiroth? As we don't have the exact release date for him, and it could very well be the same day as we're nearing the last weeks before Christmas. I think some FP1 characters were released after their presentations but beginning with Byleth they've had a separate date, so maybe Sephiroth will come out immediately, thus the later time slot (early morning in Japan).

Who's to say the Geno Mii costume can't come back with playable Geno in his pack. Afterall, the K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, and Chrom Mii costumes all came back in base game despite all of them being upgraded to fighters.
It can and probably will tbh, but Geno would be playable so it's irrelevant. I feel that if Geno is not playable, his costume would make sense to come alongside Sephiroth.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
The presentation is significantly later in the day than all but Banjo's but I don't think there will be a character reveal in it. I feel there's a reason why it's later in the day but I don't think that's the reason. Like I talked about the other day, every presentation has come with a surprise of some kind and there's "something" in this presentation that they want a big Western audience for. I just don't know what.
It seems super early to announce a FP3 or bonus fighters, and another character reveal at all is very unlikely. I expect it to lay out a roadmap for the rest of FP2 (not specific dates, just reassurance it's still going) and then maybe an in-depth breakdown of some new mode or tweaked gameplay addition. This would be the perfect time to unveil Boss Rush, but who am I kidding -- it will never happen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I know most people here would rather get by Thursday without seeing Geno’s costume, so the dream can stay alive. But I really don’t want to take that chance and get strung along for another year into December 2021 and not get anything. That would suck so hard. I would be so upset over that. At this point, I’m ready for the costume and would be happy with that. It’s better to go out on a high note. And I’m ready to play as Geno(even if he is a costume) in this game.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
According to Sakurai, Steve released around the time he was supposed to release so I think it was going to be:

Min Min: June
Sephiroth: September
Steve: October

Under these parameters, the gaps between the characters would have been very similar to Joker, Hero, and Banjo in 2019.
Sephiroth doesn't seem that intensive compared to Min Min and Steve. I see basically no reason to believe that he was supposed to be second.

QQS

Smash Lord
Sephiroth’s presentation is over and we’re left on a shot of the stars. We hear GENO AWAKENS slowly fade in as astar drops to earth. We see the star fly through many different locations from MarioRPG, until it finds the Geno doll. The doll gets up slowly as we see aglimmering Smash ball in his eyes...

Suddenly, this theme starts.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sephiroth doesn't seem that intensive compared to Min Min and Steve. I see basically no reason to believe that he was supposed to be second.
But that's the point. Min Min was already delayed from April to June not because of the pandemic but because they ran into snags balancing and debugging her. We have an ongoing theory in this thread that, because of Steve's complexity and the fact that Mojang is Swedish (complications with language barrier, setting up in-person meetings, etc), he was potentially bumped up from 78 to 77 to make the workload during the pandemic more bearable.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Setting aside the Mii Costume discussion for a second, let’s not forget that the mere inclusion of Square characters doesn’t hurt Geno’s chances in the same way it hurts characters like Chrono or 2B. That’s because Geno is NOT a Square character from a Square game. He’s a Mario character from a Mario game that Square co-developed with Nintendo. The only reason why he’s currently in Square’s hands is because they got the kids after the divorce.

Think about it…Why is it a fan rule that third-party companies can only have a certain number of reps? To maintain a balance of representation (or a semblance of balance, at least). Geno’s not someone who represents Square IP, even though they legally own him. At the end of the day, he’s the poster-child of a Mario game, and would be sporting the mushroom icon with all the other Mario characters in Smash

That means that Geno’s inclusion would not result in more Square representation, which makes the number of Square characters completely irrelevant to his chances as a Mario character.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Hmmm... Interesting thought

Okay let's look back

Joker: Stage Builder
Hero: Online Tourney/SpectatorMode
Banjo: Home Run Contest/Mii Fighter Movesets in Shared Content/Sans
Terry: Battle Arena updates
Byleth: Cuphead
Min Min: Spirit Rematch/DLC Amiibo/Vault Boy
Steve: DLC Amiibo wave 2/Bomberman

That... kinda makes me even more certain Geno is going to be costumed come Thursday since the biggest surprises since Byleth have been highlighting specific Mii Fighters. Hell, poor Travis was a high-profile deconfirm and Sakurai only called out Bomberman's costume by name

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Okay let's look back

That... kinda makes me even more certain Geno is going to be costumed come Thursday since the biggest surprises since Byleth have been highlighting specific Mii Fighters. Hell, poor Travis was a high-profile deconfirm and Sakurai only called out Bomberman's costume by name
Byleth introduced Season 2 and the fact it was going to be at least 6 characters across 6 packs. Steve also introduced all music being playable on all Smash stages and all same franchise music being playable on any same franchise stage.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Byleth introduced Season 2 and the fact it was going to be at least 6 characters across 6 packs. Steve also introduced all music being playable on all Smash stages and all same franchise music being playable on any same franchise stage.
Wait, am I remembering wrong? I could have sworn the music thing was already a thing since the initial buildup to Ultimate's release.

Specifically the August 8th Direct two years ago brought this up
1607977621509.png

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Okay let's look back

It's because Travis wasn't as high-profile as you make him seem.

Sorry bud, but there was little to no chat about him until DLC was announced and everyone pushed him because he had a new game coming out, which is literally the most proven-wrong logic to take since we've started this whole cycle. People act that just because DQ11 Finale Edition was tied in with Hero that now we have to pay attention to EVERY game release when it was really just good timing and Hero was going to happen anyway regardless of the game to shill.

Also Geno isn't going to be there, way too much FF content to bring. We got FF7 favs (Barret, Tifa, Aerith, Vincent, Cid) , other FF favs (Kefka, Noctis, Lightning, Terra, just to name a few), Moogle, Chocobo, Cactuar, hell as impossible as I see it being Sora could even show up. You also have Crono, 2B, Neku for costumes as well.

The well runs very deep without even touching SMRPG, so odds are he won;t be there at all, mainly because he's gonna be playable either later this pass or in Vol 3.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait, am I remembering wrong? I could have sworn the music thing was already a thing since the initial buildup to Ultimate's release.

Specifically the August 8th Direct two years ago brought this up
View attachment 295547
Then it must have been for the Smash stages then but that's still a pretty big deal that Final Destination and Battlefield were permitted to have any soundtrack in the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something else I just realized about Sephiroth's presentation is that this is also the most notice we've ever gotten for a "Sakurai Presents" by a considerable amount:

Joker: shadowdropped
Hero: two days
Banjo: roughly an hour
Terry: two days
Byleth: two days
Min Min: two days
Steve: two days
Sephiroth: a few hours short of a week

download (18).jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.