• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's three fighters left to unveiled, correct?

If I were you guys, I wouldn't give up until it's all over. Unless there's been any official statements that i missed.

Is it unlikely to happen? Probably, but you never know. Smash Bros. always manages to surprise it's audience with something new.
That is correct, 3 remain

Griselda

Smash Lord
Man, I wish Sakurai could see how strong and resilient our Geno community is. Even in such dire odds, we are (mostly) trying to prop each other up and think positively.

is that not magical to anyone else? That’s pretty freakin magical to me. Even in the face of such low odds, most of us are willing to go down with the ship. I. FREAKIN. LOVE. THAT. FOR. OUR. COMMUNITY.

we are ICONIC badasses.
I'm reminded of The Ballad of Old Redcoat.
"Fetch me old red doublet
Bring it to me now
I'll wear it in the rigging when they fire across the bow
Fetch me old red doublet
That's all the luck we'll need
Even if they shoot me down they'll never see me bleed!"

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm reminded of The Ballad of Old Redcoat.
"Fetch me old red doublet
Bring it to me now
I'll wear it in the rigging when they fire across the bow
Fetch me old red doublet
That's all the luck we'll need
Even if they shoot me down they'll never see me bleed!"
That's a pretty awesome ballad

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The idea of Pass 2 being “rule breakers” is kind of ridiculous, honestly. Seems like you guys are just trying to get ridiculed with that one.

1. yes, Min Min was a rule breaker, I still feel like spirits deconfirm was a really weak rule, but it was one commonly touted by the Smash fandom, so sure, that was a rule breaker

2. ...no. Steve did not break any rules. He was a common request and speculated character for Pass 1. People here just ignored him for Pass 2 because MASTERCHIEF MASTERCHIEF apparently, even though he was always a likely candidate. Don’t blame your incorrect assumptions on a character being a “rule breaker”

3. ...no. Richter exists, guys. Sephiroth is not the first secondary third party character to join Smash. If anything all he does is reinforce that it can still happen with DLC.

so, no. I am not willing to entertain this “Sakurai might be pulling a fast one on us if Geno is Mii’d next week!!” It’s quite obvious Mii costumes are intended to be supplements, and this pass also isn’t some super rulebreaker pass, or else we would’ve gotten an AT and more already.
Richter is an echo. Original in the sense that they have an original moveset. Final Fantasy is now the first third party franchise to do this. Also, enough with the browbeating about "ridicule." If I was concerned about ridicule, I as an adult man wouldn't play Smash Bros to begin with.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the only thing that might keep Geno in the clear is that Final Fantasy has so much content that can mine for costumes.

Tifa, Barret, Aerith all seem like strong logical choices and I would be shocked if they didn't all come in some form because Tifa = Brawler, Barret = Gunner, and then Aerith's death is one of the reasons that Sephiroth is the most iconic villain of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Asides from them Chocobo costume is likely to return, you could even argue it could be ''deluxed" and given a Chocobo Theme music track.

And whose to say that Sakurai doesn't get some of the other Final Fantasy leads as costumes (Lightning, Noctis, etc) or even other mascots like Black Mage, Cactuar, etc.

I think there's an equally strong chance that Geno doesn't return on the 17th as there is he does.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don’t have a clear memory of who exactly is in FP1 but quite a lot of those were crazy for fanbase standards as well and most of em could be argued to be Sakurai going “f your fan rules“ as well. Not sure if that supports or detracts your point but it’s not something exclusive to FP2

For the record, I believe if any Smash hopeful can ride this out to the end and escape another chopping block day, it‘s Geno so it’s not over until the fatman sings imo and he tells us to not believe the death of a character whose corpse isn’t seen on-screen

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
The only reason I have my doubts that the mii costume/ content situation will end up like Dragon Quest, is because FF and FF7 in particular just doesn't need the exposure.
I think the content will be all square, but not limited to FF.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Man, I won't lie I feel so out of it right now seeing most people online getting excited about Sephiroth and I'm just like...really? This has nothing to do with Geno, just in general, I just...don't think it's that cool? Like at all? I feel like such a zoomer right now, but do we really need both Cloud and Sephiroth in this game? It doesn't help that he's probably only going to come with two songs, and a stage that honestly should have come with Cloud in the first place instead of literally just Battlefield with stage hazards. This just feels like a fake fan mod, and not the good kind, like the modder was just such a huge Kingdom Hearts fan that he can't just add Sora, we GOTTA have Riku too.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Richter is an echo. Original in the sense that they have an original moveset. Final Fantasy is now the first third party franchise to do this. Also, enough with the browbeating about "ridicule." If I was concerned about ridicule, I as an adult man wouldn't play Smash Bros to begin with.
There’s also Ken who is arguably so unique he shouldn’t even be an echo (something Sakurai has commented on himself)
How am I browbeating? I literally saw Burb himself come in here and accuse you of saying Geno is still 150% confirmed even if he’s costumed next week. It’s something that’s already happened yet i’m the one using abusive terminology over it? I get it’s been a long and hard road man; and I get you’ve been wanting this character probably before I was even born. But you said it yourself earlier; if he’s a Mii Costume he’s a Mii Costume. We’ll just have to cross that bridge if we get there.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Man, I won't lie I feel so out of it right now seeing most people online getting excited about Sephiroth and I'm just like...really? This has nothing to do with Geno, just in general, I just...don't think it's that cool? Like at all? I feel like such a zoomer right now, but do we really need both Cloud and Sephiroth in this game? It doesn't help that he's probably only going to come with two songs, and a stage that honestly should have come with Cloud in the first place instead of literally just Battlefield with stage hazards. This just feels like a fake fan mod, and not the good kind, like the modder was just such a huge Kingdom Hearts fan that he can't just add Sora, we GOTTA have Riku too.
Well, we don’t need a lot of the characters in the game, I mean did we need a 9th Fire Emblem character? But having Cloud without Sephiroth would be like Mario without Bowser or Link without Ganondorf. And it’s weird you mention zoomer when Geno predated Sephiroth by a year. I would think since both games came out so close together and are the same genre made by the same company, there would be a lot of overlap between the fanbases and it would be easy to see why so many people are excited by it.

Last edited:

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
Dude, that's exactly like i feel!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Sephiroth looks so off and so forced.

I feel like I'm living in a nightmare but I'm awake. : (

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Alright, now that most of the people who had popcorn looking at our thread being filled with despair and I had a semi good night sleep and most of the day to chill out :

Yeah, it's a bummer that Geno has been casted aside once again and potentially for good by Sephiroth of all characters but as many have said before, this fight ain't over until the last DLC character has been revealed to us all or he gets Mii Costume'd next week.
But we will just have to keep our heads up, this war ain't over yet. We may have lost this battle but we will keep fighting to the very end. Even from this game to the next.

We've been fighting for Geno for so long, we got the spirit (hah) and power to keep marching on.
And if it's not to be, then we can be proud to have been his voice for decades. We'll always be Genobros at heart <3

The hope may be smaller but it's still there. Even if it's not for this game, maybe in the future?

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
..I still think that Sephiroth would've been cute as a fully-enclosing Mii costume with the original in-game low-poly ff7 model. I'm kinda hoping that his Mii costumes are made up entirely of those, actually - and not just to save Geno. Barret, at least, seems like a very obvious Mii Gunner pick.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
It's been quite a miserable experience with smash ultimate. Gonna ditch the game/this site. Geno will never happen, too popular and not a boring/uninteresting sword user, or a boring/uninteresting niche character next to no one knows or wants, or a boring side character. The only good things to come out of ultimate are Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie/Simon. Regardless, the online is unplayable and there's next to no single player content to speak of.

Ultimate is truly an extreme disappointment; Online which is worse than any other smash(it's incompetent.) Single player consisting of nothing but two spirit boards/a classic mode that's worse than any other classic mode in this franchise. A roster which is just bad and will never get better.

Why is too much to ask for characters people want or are actually iconic.

This crappy roster can be summed up with this " Ganondorf is a clone and has always/will always be a clone."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At this point these kinds of situations come off as seriously arbitrary to me.

People are gonna criticize the game no matter what happens. Geno getting in still would've prompted criticism from his detractors.

Not saying the hate towards a group of fans is justified, because it most definitely isn't. But people would have a right to be unhappy with the choice in much the same manner people are in the right to be unhappy with Sephiroth, and the other DLC characters that came before him.

Likewise, people are also in the right to be happy with these inclusions instead, just as people would be in the right to be happy about Geno finally getting in, too.

Geno or no Geno, you still can't please everyone.

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
ANd? Doesn't mean he deserves to be on the roster.
technically a character doesn't HAVE to be deserving to be on the roster of smash bros.

technically none of the DLC have to be "Deserving" of a spot on the roster.

remember, sakurai does have the choice to say no if he can't make the character work in smash. deserving or not, Sephiroth is quite iconic

but thats just my side of the coin

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
It's been quite a miserable experience with smash ultimate. Gonna ditch the game/this site. Geno will never happen, too popular and not a boring/uninteresting sword user, or a boring/uninteresting niche character next to no one knows or wants, or a boring side character. The only good things to come out of ultimate are Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie/Simon. Regardless, the online is unplayable and there's next to no single player content to speak of.

Ultimate is truly an extreme disappointment; Online which is worse than any other smash(it's incompetent.) Single player consisting of nothing but two spirit boards/a classic mode that's worse than any other classic mode in this franchise. A roster which is just bad and will never get better.

This crappy roster can be summed up with this " Ganondorf is a clone and has always/will always be a clone."
I'm sorry, I know what thread we're in but are you really going to sit there and say that Geno is more iconic and less niche than Sephiroth of all characters?

And how exactly can you say the roster is bad while simultaneously listing multiple characters as a highlight of Ultimate? Why are you even playing Smash? If this roster is bad, then the rosters of the past games must have been straight **** considering Ultimate has all of them and more.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There’s also Ken who is arguably so unique he shouldn’t even be an echo (something Sakurai has commented on himself)
How am I browbeating? I literally saw Burb himself come in here and accuse you of saying Geno is still 150% confirmed even if he’s costumed next week. It’s something that’s already happened yet i’m the one using abusive terminology over it? I get it’s been a long and hard road man; and I get you’ve been wanting this character probably before I was even born. But you said it yourself earlier; if he’s a Mii Costume he’s a Mii Costume. We’ll just have to cross that bridge if we get there.
Burb said that? As his stepdad I can't approve of that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
ANd? Doesn't mean he deserves to be on the roster.
One could just as easily say the same about Geno. Or hell, any character besides maybe the leading mascot characters from the original N64 gsme.

The "deserving" argument is an age old one that is extremely subjective. It doesn't hold any real merit.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Are we going to act like Geno isn’t extremely niche and outside of the Smash fan base, a literal who? These kinds of posts are why we get ridiculed so much.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Are we going to act like Geno isn’t extremely niche and outside of the Smash fan base, a literal who? These kinds of posts are why we get ridiculed so much.
That's not really accurate, either. Public awareness of Geno isn't like Mario or other big names, but he's had more than enough exposure through SMRPG's many rereleases - not to mention the more recent Smash-related focus and the times when he was trending. The GameStop thing, too, even if it meant nothing.

Geno's not super well known, obviously, but to say that he's a literal who right now near the end of 2020 is definitely off.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey everyone,

This is coming in a bit late but we have decided to close this thread. This wasn’t due to a request by several members of this thread but we do feel it’s needed given the circumstances. Initially, we had hoped the ship would right itself but that’s obviously not the case. Closing it came into the discussion shortly after the Sephiroth reveal but we felt that the thread could redirect itself. That being said, we have decided to temporarily close the thread to help the thread reset and cool-off. We know it’s been a very disappointing (and devastating) 24 hours and posts that convey a sense of frustration, anger, and even malice are understandable. Regardless, there have been several posts that were completely unnecessary and that’s coming from both sides of the issue. We also understand several bad actors have come into the thread to gloat over a perceived deconfirmation and that’s totally not ok. Those users have either been warned or banned; depending on the situation.

I can’t comment when the thread will reopen but I intend for it to be brief as I don’t want to deprive the users here the place where they feel most comfortable. I also can’t comment if the thread will be closed on Thursday in preparation for the Sephiroth presentation but I will say that certain behavior will not be tolerated (if it remains open during it) and that the thread could face a far longer closing as a result with stricter warnings issued for those who break the ToS. Again. sorry for being so late with any sort of statement or action from the moderating team.

I hope all the best for everyone here; especially during these trying times.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hello everyone,

The Geno Thread is now reopened but we would like to make a statement regarding this thread as the Sakurai Presents approaches:

• We understand that Geno detractors comes into this thread to stir trouble. Thankfully, these individuals are easy to spot. Instead of responding to thier low-tier trolling; please report it. Responding to it with trolling is just as bad as the original offense. Please report it. We will take these cases into account when deciding the future path for this thread.
  • On the other hand, it’s difficult when this comes from a thread regular and makes moderation hard. We will be far more heavy handed than before and bad behavior and rule breaking will not go unpunished. Please report this behavior, even if it means reporting a friend or fellow Geno supporter, as it helps the thread remain civil and productive. Unlike above, behavior from thresd regulars will br taken into account when moderating this thread.
  • Please do not boss people around for having a contrary opinion. Emotions are understandably high but that’s no excuse for saying “you are no Geno supporter for liking Sephiroth” or “Stop being so positive. Nothing is good about this situation.” Of course, you can have your own opinion and share them but, for the best if the thread, please try to agree yo disagree of arguments get too heated and/or long-winded.
  • Please don’t come in here saying “I told you so” or “I told you to hype responsibly!” This does more harm than good and makes you loose like an ass. Don’t do it.
  • Please keep negative emotions in check. Again, emotions are running high due to certain factors but please don’t bring down others along with you. Step back from the thread, do something you enjoy, or even take a prolonged absence if need be. A character inclusion or Deconfirmation should never negatively effect ones mental or physical health. Please don’t contribute to this by posting over-the-top negative content.
  • On that note, please report any posts that could be potential self-harming, suicidal, inappropriate, or threatening to the poster or to others in the thread.
  • We will be very strict with thread raiding. We will be watching out for people coming in to cause problems in this thread. This also applies to other threads like the Sora thread and will not hesitate to warn Geno supporters raiding rival threads.
  • Please avoid spammy or reactionary posts.

Finally, we want to stress that the moderating team will be watching this thread during the Sakurai Presents this coming Thursday and will be watching out for many of the listed bullet points. If we feel that the thread is spiraling out of control, we will be closing it without a warning. I can say that the closure will not be a day and a half but something far longer. Please keep this in mind if you truly want the best for the thread and those who call it home.

Other than that, happy posting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom