• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
As I said in the Shantae thread, the fan-rule stating that no two characters from the same company can be in the same pass is just as spineless as the others (that were proven wrong time and time again...).

To show my support to you guys, here is my girl and your boy together (like the spirit situation) in Mario Kart form that I made!
IMG_20201213_143513.jpg

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I know things look grim right now, but this whole "you can't have more than one rep from a company in the same fighter pass" is another fan rule waiting to be broken. It may not be broken this time, but it's not a valid reason to assume all hope is lost. Sephiroth and Hero were likely bargained for around the same time, just as many have suspected with Banjo & Kazooie and Steve. If Geno is getting in, he was likely negotiated for then.

I think the 17th will be very illuminating regardless. If Geno doesn't get in, that sucks and your feelings towards it are valid, but life will go on. You will go on. Smash is still an incredible game at the end of the day that made so many wishes come true. We'll make the best of it as we always have.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One odd thing is that we've only had one full fighter's pass. It's still a silly fan rule. Not expecting a company to be double dipped in the same pass is obviously very different from trying to make it a rule. Geno's fate is in the air within the week. I honestly would love if he's still in the running. If he's still Mii'd, he'll be updated anyway for the new standards in graphics(whether or not he's premium is another story. And premium we know now doesn't automatically mean "has songs" either). Second best thing, imo, if not playable, is Premium with one or two songs. That'd be some really cool content. I love the music, so I'd definitely rather him playable.

And it's worth noting that among the entire DLC so far, none of them were my personal picks either. Not that I'm saying I'm disappointed either.

MattX20

Smash Hero
One odd thing is that we've only had one full fighter's pass. It's still a silly fan rule. Not expecting a company to be double dipped in the same pass is obviously very different from trying to make it a rule. Geno's fate is in the air within the week. I honestly would love if he's still in the running. If he's still Mii'd, he'll be updated anyway for the new standards in graphics(whether or not he's premium is another story. And premium we know now doesn't automatically mean "has songs" either). Second best thing, imo, if not playable, is Premium with one or two songs. That'd be some really cool content. I love the music, so I'd definitely rather him playable.

And it's worth noting that among the entire DLC so far, none of them were my personal picks either. Not that I'm saying I'm disappointed either.
As a wise man once said, it's not over until it's over. Until that Mii Fighter costume appears, Geno's chances still remain. Plus, he's got that weird legal gray area considering he's a Mario universe character and not a purely Square Enix pick like 2B or Crono.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As a wise man once said, it's not over until it's over. Until that Mii Fighter costume appears, Geno's chances still remain. Plus, he's got that weird legal gray area considering he's a Mario universe character and not a purely Square Enix pick like 2B or Crono.
I wouldn't really call that a weird legal gray area. He can't be used without SE being involved. Simple. Being made for a Mario game doesn't change that SE has to be involved. Even if they don't 100% own him, they clearly own him enough.

And yeah, I'm not saying otherwise on his fate. I guess I said that oddly. I'm hoping he doesn't get Mii'd just so he might have a chance. While I doubt massively in the idea of a second bonus character overall, I won't deny it'd be awesome. Whether it's echoes(who might not come with anything but themselves and songs) or not. Having 12 DLC total is hardly bad either way~ Even if it's not a single one I particular wanted(Steve I admit is the only one among it so far I was heavily expecting. Sephiroth would be the only one so far I majorly wanted in).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Remember guys, the Mario 35th anniversary celebration doesn't end until March which gives us enough time to see FP9 before then. "There can only be one rep per company" **** that fan rule! That's going to be broken one of these days. Don't throw in the towel and believe Geno's Mii costume is coming back Thursday because we don't know that yet. If his costume doesn't return with Sephiroth that becomes really good for our doll boi's chances.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah no, Geno is owned by Square-Enix 100%.

"Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars" Character:
©SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

MattX20

Smash Hero

I know that, I just meant that he can't be used liberally like the other characters they own like 2B or Crono given the context of his character/existance.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

He might be owned by Square-Enix, but by heart and character he's a Mario character. A Mario character that is owned by Square-Enix. Because of this, Square-Enix can't do anything with him unless they negotiate with Nintendo.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You can pretty much say a similar thing about Banjo, then. How by "heart and character" he's a Nintendo character that happens to be owned by Microsoft, and thus doesn't count as a Microsoft rep or whatever, thus not getting in the way of Steve or Master Chief getting in.

And yet, he was still the only Microsoft owned character on the first pass, and they ended up saving Steve for FP2, even though negiotations for him had been going on for like five years. Likewise, Hero was the only SE character in FP1, and Sephiroth was saved for FP2.

Really makes you think...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno is literally not like Banjo. Banjo isn't hard tied to only one series and broke off. Geno is fully a Super Mario character in terms of appearances. This is why people consider him a case of him only being able to be used within Mario games. It's only a theory, though. A logical one. We don't know the actual agreements made between Nintendo and SquareSoft at the time. Square-Enix fully owning a character has nothing to do with specific limitations during the creation process. He was created directly as a Super Mario character from the start. Same with the other content. For all we know, they actually did sign an agreement to make everything from that game "Nintendo-only". These things do actually happen. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of a case of "where else would we use these characters?" on Square-Enix's end. Basic business and all. Make sure a character it used where it's logical to do so. It's pretty hard to give Geno a spin-off when the whole game is focused on Super Mario stuff. It'd still be neat, though. Getting him in stuff like Smash and Mario Kart would certainly be great on its own~

They're pretty much as opposite you can be other than being mascots for their core games in which they appear in. And do note Banjo has appeared in some other ones(as has Kazooie) as guests moreso. Geno's only other appearance outside of Smash is a simple cameo. A cool one, though.

Man, I want a SMRPG remake more than ever now.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You can pretty much say a similar thing about Banjo, then. How by "heart and character" he's a Nintendo character that happens to be owned by Microsoft, and thus doesn't count as a Microsoft rep or whatever, thus not getting in the way of Steve or Master Chief getting in.

And yet, he was still the only Microsoft owned character on the first pass, and they ended up saving Steve for FP2, even though negiotations for him had been going on for like five years. Likewise, Hero was the only SE character in FP1, and Sephiroth was saved for FP2.

Really makes you think...
Thing is, Geno is actually part of the Mario series unlike Banjo & Kazooie who branched off of Diddy Kong Racing to start their own franchise. Geno is 100% a Mario character.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I just wanted to reach out to all of the non-regulars who have come to the Geno thread in the past week or so to offer their support and condolences. Myself, and I’m sure many others, really appreciate you thinking of us! You guys are proof that Smash shouldn’t be these little camps of fanbases, we should all be supporting each other!

Dan

Smash Lord
While this is not and never will be a metric for why a character should get into Smash, let's pretend it is, for the sake of argument.

Let's measure the Smash 4 speculation threads, by page count. Why Smash 4 speculation? Smash 4 speculation is the one time fan opinions mattered and Sakurai directly asked us for our opinions. It's the only reason K. Rool made it into the game.

Some threads are hard to retrieve because of characters being confirmed during Smash 4's life cycle, but this list should be more than enough to give you an idea of Geno's standing during Smash 4.

Ridley: 1952
K. Rool: 1233
Bandana Dee: 769
Isaac: 480
Rayman: 439
Krystal: 332
Wolf: 295
Snake: 240
Shantae: 207
Ice Climbers: 116
Geno: 96 (You are here)
Inkling: 94
Paper Mario: 60
Sceptile: 44
Medusa: 43
Wonder Red: 35
Shovel Knight: 15

The obvious biggest threads from that period got into the game, and there were plenty of other characters who have never yet made it into Smash with much higher post counts than Geno.

Yes, Geno's current social thread for Smash Ultimate of 3634 pages dwarfs the Smash 4 Ridley and K. Rool threads. But you know what? Sakurai is not asking for anybody's opinion right now. A lot of Geno supporters apparently did not think it was important to do anything with the golden opportunity that was given to them. It is doubtful we will ever see another ballot or that fans will ever have any way to directly influence Smash Bros character speculation again.
Good post (had to wait all these days cause of the thread closure). Those results are fascinating, and it's equally as fascinated how Geno leapfrogged all those characters to become the top dog somehow. Inkling was the shoe-in, it's surprising Rayman isn't in (now would be a good time since no one is talking about him and everyone is talking about Crash) and Bandana Dee has fallen off. In my opinion, the four most deserving long-time requests are Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee.

We are due for at least one more Banjo-ish cartoon character... I friggin' hate so much much that everyone is just a human sword character now. :rolleyes: This is not the Smash I grew up with. waves cane

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
The Geno costume in SSB4 was pretty freaky because it was a Mii head on a Geno body. I do hope they redesign the costume to bring it to the same quality level as the other deluxe costumes.

It'd be nice if he came with two tracks even if they might be straight ports: Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss.

If the deluxe costume does return, what moves would best Geno? I don't remember exactly what moves I gave the costume in SSB4.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I also would like to thank everyone coming in from other threads or who have been lurking showing their support.

I hope everyone here is well (or well enough as they can be given the circumstances). I'm around if people want to message me or anything.

And y'all are absolutely right. There's no reason to give up hope yet. I'm leaning towards seeing the costume again myself but it's better than a picture if that's the case and I could be wrong (happens often). There is no reason we couldn't get another bonus, third fighters pass, or second rep from SE this pass. Even if our ultimate journey ends Thursday our work is not done. We can continue to push for Geno in other ways and even in other games.

I think I was pretty calm despite my disappointment but I do want to apologize if I said anything that upset anyone about Sephiroth. I do really think Sephiroth deserves a spot in Smash despite my personal FF preference being Black Mage and personal SE preference obviously being Geno. Sephiroth is still a cool and unexpected addition and I am glad we're getting more Final Fantasy content.

Also, I want to say that I know I've been critical of the mod team in the past, but I wanted to say that lately they have been very fair and supportive of the thread. I appreciate everything they do to keep each thread appropriate and safe.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I said a couple of things on Star Road the past couple of days but there's one thing I want to say now that the thread is reopened. I've been talking about "axe swings" and how at most Geno would have to avoid 3-4 but, honestly, the number it really is? One. Geno just has to not be the gunner Mii costume of Sephiroth's Mii costume pack. I'll explain:

-From my analysis the other day:

Packs with Mii Gunners: 4/7

Packs with multiple Mii Gunners: 3/7

3 of these 4 packs, the Mii Gunners were part of "pairs" from Smash 4 (Tails, Protoman, and X/Exe) and one was part of a new pair (Marie). This said, 4 of the 4 instances of gunners had "pairs." Except Joker's pack, the new gunner of the pack was from an entirely new series: Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy. Geno's not part of a pair and not from an entirely new series to Smash, things that work strongly to his advantage because:

-New Mii costumes always outnumber the old costumes.

-From my analysis the other day, at least two of Sephiroth's Mii costumes are borderline guaranteed to be swordfighters. Obviously, Geno's not a sword fighter.

-When Heihachi and Gil came back, their Mii costume spread both had 4 franchises represented and at least one new costume of their archetype. Heihachi came with two other Brawlers and Gil came with two other swordsmen. This trend can also be seen in almost all the other packs except Joker with Tails, who was a pair with Knuckles. This said, the odds of Geno being the standalone gunner for Sephiroth's pack is small because "old" gunners half the time came with new gunners in tow but have come as a "matching set" 100% of the time.

-Both Square packs have been the smallest in Smash history. In Smash 4, it was a hat and a costume and with Hero it was three costumes and a hat. The average number of Mii costumes for Ultimate has been 5 but Square going 4 again wouldn't surprise me.

I did yet another analysis in Lloyd thread yesterday and, based on everything, Sephiroth's Mii costume spread probably looks like this:

-Chocobo, swordfighter (Final Fantasy), swordfighter (Final Fantasy), ??? (Square Enix), ??? (Square Enix)

Or

-Chocobo, swordfighter (Final Fantasy), swordfighter (Square Enix), ??? (Final Fantasy), and ??? (Square Enix)

Like I said earlier, old gunners came with new gunners half of the time and old archetypes come with brand new ones 5/6 times meaning the odds of Geno being the standalone gunner are small. This means, if Geno were to be eliminated, the most likely scenario is if Sephiroth's Mii costume spread has 2 gunners and not just one. Here's why that's probably a problem:

-Chocobo, swordfighter, swordfighter, gunner, Geno

No Brawlers. Why does that matter? 6 of the 7 costume packs so far have come with them so the odds of Sephiroth having at least one is very high: ~86% to be exact. This means, following precedent, Geno either has to be the first non-pair gunner in Ultimate or Sephiroth has to be only the second costume pack without a Brawler and more than 1 gunner.

In conclusion, a lot of firsts would have to happen for Geno to be eliminated this coming Thursday.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Incidentally, since this thread is reopened, I figured this was a decent place to give my thoughts on Sephiroth and re: Geno.

I am a bit disappointed if just because there's such a rich library of Square Enix and even Final Fantasy content out there, yet they went back to the well of FFVII yet again. Now financially it makes sense, and there are tons of very happy people that saw the One Winged Angel's inclusion. However as a fan of stuff like Chrono Trigger, the Mana series, and so many other FF games (especially VI), the continued focus on 7 (with both Smash and the remake) just can't help but feel a bit myopic to me. There's a real legacy of games that sometimes don't feel like they get the attention they deserve, even from SE itself, and Sephiroth's inclusion can't help but feel in some ways like a wasted opportunity for that.

As far as Geno, I'm expecting a Mii costume soon. I hope its a premium one as that and a single music track would feel somewhat fitting for a beloved niche character, though its hardly guaranteed. Smash lives off surprises both pleasant and unpleasant, and all this time just to get the same Smash 4 costume is not out of the question for this series. I'm not quite as down about this as I expected, largely because I had long since prepared myself for the possibility, and have long since reminded myself that Nintendo/Sakurai's priorities are not necessarily mine.

Finally, Sephiroth does confirm to me that when it comes to patterns, this game can and will break them. I saw a great deal of justification that Byleth's inclusion still fit the DLC pattern because it was a new (sub) world from Fire Emblem, and the one of the reasons third parties were being highlighted over bringing in a Dixie or Impa was because of the new content they could bring. I don't think its outrageous to suggest that Thursday's reveal puts that thinking into a more realistic context of Nintendo and/or Sakurai likely being more interested in certain characters/properties than others, with new worlds simply being a nice bonus to that. And you know what?

That's fine. Its their game and if the reality is that they think Smash is a richer title and more rewarding for fans overall with a Sephiroth instead of a Bandana Dee, then I'm not going to begrudge them for it. I would have gone for other fighters, but who's to say if they'd gone with mine there might not be someone in a thread lamenting that a Byleth didn't get in? There is no pleasing everyone and unlike a lot of contemporary elements of Nintendo which genuinely do feel mishandled or neglected, Smash as a game still feels filled with passion and I will never look negatively on a release that makes a lot of fan's dreams come true even if they aren't mine.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So I was looking over my prediction and most wanted lists, and thinking about the Cacomallow leak. Let's say that leak was real and Geno's costume is nowhere to be seen on Thursday. We know that they've possibly changed the order of DLC fighters around in the past. Now what if to avoid the other of the Geno/Doom Slayer pair leaking by releasing one of them with that exact Mallow/Cacodemon hat which would all but confirm the other one, they decided to push their reveals back. When have we gotten dual reveals before? E3. So maybe E3 2021 would have both Geno and Doomslayer revealed there for a Summer and a Fall or Winter release, thus finishing the pass.

Now as to the other character I'm predicting? Crash for a Spring 2021 release. What about a Capcom or Namco rep? Well I used to think we were going to get one for each company because of the Mii Costume theory, but they have been steadily bringing back Capcom and Namco costumes with each recent pack. Now we just have Lloyd and the Monster Hunter pair left, which could easily return in the remaining packs without them having to be a Capcom or Namco rep.

Those three characters may seem too good to be true, but they all have varying degrees of evidence going for them, so those are who I'm going with as of right now. This of course could all change on Thursday. But I hope Geno survives another round of Mii costumes.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, the more I question did verge accidentally leak 3 square characters 2 years ago by accident.

He had heard 7 names and he had heard dragon quest, slime and sephiroph the most and had heard Geno and crono once if I Believe.

So far dragon quest and slime made it in and sephiroph has now made it in.

We’ve had the cacco mallow leak which is controversial but possibly real which would improve a mallow mii headgear is coming and then we had the smithy costume leak that fatmanonice provided if I remember rightly.

Right there there’s 2 costumes already which we known for a fact won’t come with sephiroph.

The timing for geno’s mii costume coming back feels extremely weird considering there’s been 5 other characters it could’ve come back with out of the 8 we’ve had so far.

Papagenos said he had talks with someone over crucial evidence that pointed towards Geno or waluigi being playable and that he couldn’t talk much about it because it was very confidential.

We’ve also had the 2 mario RPG songs which were copyrighted by Nintendo which they don’t own. There’s no way a Geno mii costume is coming with 2 tracks when sephiroph is probably only getting 2-4 tracks.

I’m not holding my breath till we get past Thursday but it feels there’s more to the Geno situation than weird being told.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I think that Sephiroth has increased the chances of Eggman. Why? It seems like Sakurai is noticing series without their villains as fighters and if Microsoft and Square were able to get second characters, why not SEGA? (Plus imagine if his trailer started like K Rool and Banjo’s trailer)

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
It’s gonna be curious watching the Mii Costume section, not just because we’re waiting to see if Geno’s Mii comes back, but also if anything of Mii Costume guy information comes true(heard 2B costume). Cacomallow may also be real but at this point it doesn’t matter. To be honest, there’s a lot of possibilities I can see, assuming there are six SE costumes; I’m already set on there being like three FF costumes, it’s the potential final three that have me curious.
With that said, I can see “Scenario A”, aka the realistic outcome turn out like this:
-Barret :ultgunner:
-Tifa:ultbrawler:
-Chocobo :ultbrawler:
-Crono:ultswordfighter:
-2B:ultswordfighter:
-Geno:ultgunner:
Scenario B: if MCG was right about Mallow and Smithy costumes and we actually get them here:
-Chocobo:ultbrawler:
-Geno:ultgunner:
-Mallow:ultbrawler: or:ultswordfighter:(froggie stick)
-Smithy:ultswordfighter:
Finally, Scenario C: if, by some miracle, Geno once again is missing, then I could see this outcome:
-Barret:ultgunner:
-Chocobo:ultbrawler:
-Crono:ultswordfighter:
-Agnès(Not sure; probably :ultswordfighter:)
No, I don’t think Sora is going to me a Mii costume because that would be a waste for both Nintendo and Sakurai to go all the way to Disney, hash out legal terms and then come back with a 75 cent Mii. Either he’s in or nothing of Kingdom Hearts is coming.

Let me know if I missed anything important, such as potential other Mii Costumes or information. What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

As this thread never once left my mind while it was locked, I had an epiphany:

When a Mii costume shows up with the "Smash x [Franchise]" screen, that is very much the equivalent of the splash screen we held in such high regard from Geno's initial costume reveal. I think once again we looked for meaning where there was none, and I fully expect to see "Smash x Super Mario RPG" this Thursday. Barret, Tifa, Chocobo hat, Geno. Easiest costume set ever predicted.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Remember guys, the Mario 35th anniversary celebration doesn't end until March which gives us enough time to see FP9 before then. "There can only be one rep per company" **** that fan rule! That's going to be broken one of these days. Don't throw in the towel and believe Geno's Mii costume is coming back Thursday because we don't know that yet. If his costume doesn't return with Sephiroth that becomes really good for our doll boi's chances.
You have a link about the anniversary celebration? Seems to me like Nintendo is done celebrating it with the anniversary tournament in December

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
So the possible outcomes that I think exist and are probable are

1. We get a Geno costume announced in Sephiroth's presentation.
2. It gets announced later (which would be VERY cruel to all of you).
3. There is no Geno costume whatsoever (the worst case scenario).
4. No costume and Geno gets in either this pass, a third pass, or as a bonus fighter.

Do you guys agree with this or am I missing anything?
(Also, I still don't feel much of anything regarding Smash. I say that I still feel neutral about Sephiroth, meaning I don't like or dislike him. But he might've also dialed down the enthusiasm I had for future Smash character DLC. I don't even feel that hopeful for my most wanted picks. Maybe I'm worried that none of them have a chance now that we are halfway through the pass. The second half of the pass may be more lowkey, so I'm not sure if the likes of Crash, Rayman, Doomguy, and other similar kinds of characters will get in this pass. I guess Sephiroth really did bring despair for me, huh?)

I don't wanna cause any turmoil or arguments but this is how I currently feel.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Don’t forget we got both Roy and Corrin in Smash 4 DLC. If two characters of the same series can both be in Smash 4’s DLC run of I think 7 characters iirc, Square Enix can get 2/6 characters in this Fighter’s Pass. Obviously, I think the most likely scenario now is the Mii Costume returning, but Sepiroth beyond that scenario isn‘t a nail-in-the-coffin on its own, especially not for a character (or fanbase) as defying as this one.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You have a link about the anniversary celebration? Seems to me like Nintendo is done celebrating it with the anniversary tournament in December
No. But I think Nintendo said it's ending at the end of March as that's when all these Mario 35th anniversary games and 3D All Stars will no longer be available on the Eshop or physically.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Does anyone think there is a chance of the Mallow Mii costume specifically appearing this Thursday? Just wondering, I’m surprised no one is bringing it up.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Does anyone think there is a chance of the Mallow Mii costume specifically appearing this Thursday? Just wondering, I’m surprised no one is bringing it up.
I don’t think there’s a world in which a Mallow costume is introduced without bringing back Geno in some way. To me, a Mallow costume is a subset of scenarios that impact Geno (where either he’s a costume or is playable.)
Mallow as a costume but without Geno in sight would be....odd.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
As this thread never once left my mind while it was locked, I had an epiphany:

When a Mii costume shows up with the "Smash x [Franchise]" screen, that is very much the equivalent of the splash screen we held in such high regard from Geno's initial costume reveal. I think once again we looked for meaning where there was none, and I fully expect to see "Smash x Super Mario RPG" this Thursday. Barret, Tifa, Chocobo hat, Geno. Easiest costume set ever predicted.
Not really... those happened in SSB4 as well for every Mii Costume, and it's not really comparable to a full splash screen in that way of showing the costume in a style similar to a full character reveal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom