• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'd be happy to have damn near anyone come to Smash. I've accepted the likes of Piranha Plant, Incineroar, Byleth, and Steve with open arms, and love how this roster grows more wild with each addition, bringing in characters from all over.

But Fortnite is a hard no for me. Like, nah. Sorry if you like the game, but no. I'm not gonna go far enough to say it doesn't deserve to be in Smash or it can't work, but I would not be happy in the slightest. One of the few characters I actively don't want.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'd be happy to have damn near anyone come to Smash. I've accepted the likes of Piranha Plant, Incineroar, Byleth, and Steve with open arms, and love how this roster grows more wild with each addition, bringing in characters from all over.

But Fortnite is a hard no for me. Like, nah. Sorry if you like the game, but no. I'm not gonna go far enough to say it doesn't deserve to be in Smash or it can't work, but I would not be happy in the slightest. One of the few characters I actively don't want.
Yeah you're not alone, I'm 99% sure a lot of people would hate the thought of a Fortnite rep.
Honestly, the rumors of a Fortnite and League Of Legends rep sounds really scary to me and gives me nightmares from time to time. I know they're fake, but man I really hope they aren't real.

D

Deleted member

Yeah you're not alone, I'm 99% sure a lot of people would hate the thought of a Fortnite rep.
Honestly, the rumors of a Fortnite and League Of Legends rep sounds really scary to me and gives me nightmares from time to time. I know they're fake, but man I really hope they aren't real.
if Nintendo wants to run the adults out of the Smash scene, Steve followed by Fortnite followed by League of Legends sure as hell would do it.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Not Geno related, but happy Japanese anniversary to one of my old most requested characters!

(Let's hope SMRPG's anniversary is recognized as well when Geno gets in Smash ;) )

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
Not Geno related, but happy Japanese anniversary to one of my old most requested characters!

(Let's hope SMRPG's anniversary is recognized as well when Geno gets in Smash ;) )
POV: you're a jiggy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Smash fans really think this is an actual hint unironically while simultaneously bashing us for even bringing up a sliver of good news that could point to Geno happening, it just proves they are no better than us.
Hypocrisy knows no bounds with Smash Twitter - sorry, I meant the Newcomer thread. They're the same people anyways.

Fortnite rep honestly wouldn't bother me, I don't like bullying people for what they like. It's the League of Legends rep that's more worrying - the Smash fanbase is very toxic as is, can you imagine what combining two very toxic fandoms - especially one as notorious for it as League - will do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Had a whole rant about how being recent and having simply sold a certain number of copies doesn't mean that you're automatically 'worthy' of being in Smash. But I deleted it because I kinda just don't really care. I'm tired today. I'm just still waiting for Smash DLC to give me a reason to give them my money, to sum it up.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Had a whole rant about how being recent and having simply sold a certain number of copies doesn't mean that you're automatically 'worthy' of being in Smash. But I deleted it because I kinda just don't really care. I'm tired today. I'm just still waiting for Smash DLC to give me a reason to give them my money, to sum it up.
I would have enjoyed reading that.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Fortnite rep honestly wouldn't bother me, I don't like bullying people for what they like. It's the League of Legends rep that's more worrying - the Smash fanbase is very toxic as is, can you imagine what combining two very toxic fandoms - especially one as notorious for it as League - will do.
Considering the other very infamous bases we have in smash already, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Making the flames a lil taller on an already large dumpster fire ain't too bad really, and that's coming from somebody who also interacts with the League base regularly.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the end of the day, Western 3rd party reps are picked for their legacy and impact on gaming, not sales. 3 years is too young to have legacy/impact in Fortnites case. Even Minecraft was 6 years old at the time negotiations began for Steve

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
At the end of the day, Western 3rd party reps are picked for their legacy and impact on gaming, not sales. 3 years is too young to have legacy/impact in Fortnites case. Even Minecraft was 6 years old at the time negotiations began for Steve

Not to sound rude or anything but smash bro’s is aimed towards kids as well as adults and older teenagers. Fortnite is huge towards kids and younger teens so they’d be silly Not put fortnite in. You have to remember Nintendo is a kid franchise who aims their games towards the younger generation.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm not going to sit around and pretend I'd be happy about a Fortnite or League character either even though they could bring zany fun movesets. Just because I'm not happy with an inclusion doesn't mean their inclusion can't be justified or even that I don't respect or like certain things about the characters just that they're not worth spending money on for me personally. I guess that's really the problem is that some of the characters from FP1 and so far in FP2 felt like they belonged in base game if at all and not as paid DLC characters. If this was free DLC I couldn't care less who they add because it'd be additional content for the wonderful game that is Ultimate. I mean I got Ridley, K Rool, Dark Samus, and everyone is here and could vicariously be happy for Banjo, Joker, and Steve so I'm not complaining about Ultimate at all but I'm not going to spend money on FP2 until I see something I personally am excited to see.

As for the release schedule. I never guess anything correctly but I'm thinking release mid-late January, mid April, mid-late June, and late September to finish the pass out. Not sure about reveals but that's what I personally expect for the release schedule of the last 4 characters.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Not to sound rude or anything but smash bro’s is aimed towards kids as well as adults and older teenagers. Fortnite is huge towards kids and younger teens so they’d be silly Not put fortnite in. You have to remember Nintendo is a kid franchise who aims their games towards the younger generation.
Nintendo isn't a company for kids. Its a company for families. Big difference.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
So are we aiming for the third or fourth week of December for the next character reveal?

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Personally, I think my beef with Fortnite/Jonesy being in the pass as a playable fighter are the indirect implications. More specifically, it’s not so much that I’m opposed to Fortnite content, it’s just that I’m very pro-Geno,Crash,Doom,GoldenSun,DK content.

So when I see a character like Fortnite or Steve getting into the fighters pass, it takes up a space for characters such as Geno or Isaac who have no chance of being represented in other video game content or media. THAT’S the issue for me. Fortnite and Steve can be plastered all around merchandise and different games and as DLC in other cross-platform games, but Geno, Isaac, etc., have nowhere else to go (At least not until they get into Smash, hopefully catch fire with the fans, which then incentivizes Nintendo to bring them into other future Nintendo games).

(and yes, spare me the GS and SMRPG rumours. I realize those are possible, but as of now we have no definitive proof of them)

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
In terms of my guesses for this Pass:
  • FP8 - December
  • FP9 - February
If E3 or a "E3-like" Direct happens:
  • FP10 and FP11 - E3
If E3 doesn't happen:
  • FP10 - June
  • FP11 - August/September

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I were to summarize the "main" years of Smash DLC:

Reveals: 6
Releases: 5

Reveals: April, June (2), November, December (2)

Releases: April, June (3), December

Reveals: 3
Releases: 5

Reveals: June (2), November

Releases: February, April, July, September, November

2020 (so far)

Reveals: 3
Releases: 3

Reveals: January, June, October

Releases: January, June, October

Keep in mind that is because of the pandemic and that the "small" number of reveals in 2019 was because 2 of the characters were revealed in 2018. I would say that 2020 probably would have played out like 2019 if not for Corona. Steve being released "on time" makes me think that there was probably meant to be a September release because the gap between Hero and Banjo was roughly a month too.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
What I'd really want to see is Geno and Mallow added to a new Mario Kart game as racers. Heck, they could even add them first to Mario Kart Tour as a heads-up (maybe even around SMRPG's 25th Anniversary), and then add them to Mario Kart 9.
And also the Minecraft Super Mario Mash-Up Pack as skins, along with King K. Rool. I remember skins having been added to skin packs retroactively before.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Intern-kun still hasn't tweeted about the official VS Challenge Cup on Twitter. Oh well. Now, time to look at the dates. So this tournament will be coming in hot on December 12th, and from this year's past official tournaments (VS, NA Online Opens),
  • Min Min was revealed the day after one of these tournaments
  • Steve was revealed five days later after the September VS Challenge Cup tournament
Going off by those two time windows, CP 8 could potentially be revealed as soon as December 13th (Sunday... unlikely), or December 17th (a Thursday :2gud:). This is the Super Mario-themed NA Smash tournament that was announced back on the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct. The timing is starting to feel just right. If we do get a reveal within that time window (between the 13th and 17th), the character could end up being released on,
  • If revealed on the 13th, add 12 more days (since Steve released 12 days after its reveal) and it falls on... December 25th... CHRISTMAS DAY. 👀
  • If revealed on the 17th, add 12 more days and it falls on December 29th (still before the year ends).
Now I say, boys and girls if they pull the mad-lad-SAVIOR move and announce for a reveal on the 13th... 👀

Time to hold Y :starman::starman::starman:
I seriously doubt they'd drop the character on either of those two dates. 29th could work but 25th...
LMAO no.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just remember that even the most obvious one could end up being a red herring. So, best to enter the VGA with low expectations.
Screenshot_20201127-162544_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
This week will mostly be devoid of Nintendo announcements due to the Game Awards I'm willing to bet

D

Deleted member

Personally, I think my beef with Fortnite/Jonesy being in the pass as a playable fighter are the indirect implications. More specifically, it’s not so much that I’m opposed to Fortnite content, it’s just that I’m very pro-Geno,Crash,Doom,GoldenSun,DK content.

So when I see a character like Fortnite or Steve getting into the fighters pass, it takes up a space for characters such as Geno or Isaac who have no chance of being represented in other video game content or media. THAT’S the issue for me. Fortnite and Steve can be plastered all around merchandise and different games and as DLC in other cross-platform games, but Geno, Isaac, etc., have nowhere else to go (At least not until they get into Smash, hopefully catch fire with the fans, which then incentivizes Nintendo to bring them into other future Nintendo games).

(and yes, spare me the GS and SMRPG rumours. I realize those are possible, but as of now we have no definitive proof of them)
A post after my own heart. I don't understand why people don't get or maybe do get it and ignore the fact that every character who is not Geno is a competitor to Geno, not in terms of "if we get this clown we don't get Geno", but in terms of "there's only so many rolls of toilet paper on the shelf and Geno needs to wipe his ass." Peak 2020 humor for everyone.

I also agree with the sentiment about how these characters are gonna have exposure regardless of being in Smash. Smash is another trophy in the gallery for characters like Steve, depending on how the devs feel, maybe the biggest trophy there, but still, just another on the long list of accolades and exposure. This holds true to another fan favorite character who I could honestly die happy never being able to control in Smash - Waluigi. This guy's gonna end up in every Mario sports, Party and Kart game from now until the sun fizzles out. In fact, he had a major role in the latest Mario Tennis title and was like the genuine final boss of Mario DDR. I'm sure he's got his fans, but damn, man, he's in plenty. Give someone else a shot who's had one or two games in two decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom