• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
You know, for a tournament that they advertised 3 months ago, even by not having their weekly event when announced, and done to celebrate their biggest franchise's anniversary, its amazing how low key and seemly unorganized it is (as in, only some countries had their dates confirmed). So is it Bakugan all over again?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does anybody have a list of the characters that were used for each Challenge Cup before a new character was revealed? This next Challenge Cup has every Smash fighter that’s been in a Mario game.
This is the first major Nintendo created tournament with character restrictions. All the other Invitationals and Challenge Cups have allowed every character.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
How are we feeling about these restrictions? Because they're all Mario characters, are we still feeling good about Geno? Even though it would be more logical if this kind of tournament should wait until after his reveal?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Wait a minute... it's Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's birthday?

Perfect time to bring up the time that Popeye invited a suicidal man to his birthday party and then shot him before the day was done. Ya know... for kids!

Geno would never do something like that... lest of course Super Mario RPG has some secret ending where Geno just shoots Mario in the dark with his finger bullets while he's singing happy birthday to himself and then it just cuts to "The Bitter End".

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uh guys... poggers 👀
remember when Reggie was at last year's game awards? It sure was exciting when he showed up to present us with the long awaited ...speech about how video games are cool.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Uh guys... poggers 👀
I'll be the first to say it (on this thread, at least):

I'm guessing he'll just be presenting an award, or giving a little speech like he did last year. (probably about how games have brought us together during this pandemic)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'll be the first to say it (on this thread, at least):

I'm guessing he'll just be presenting an award, or giving a little speech like he did last year. (probably about how games have brought us together during this pandemic)
Yea, just copy-paste last year's speculation with Reggie being at the awards as they are going to be the same (Smash, Mother 3, announcing a game, etc).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How are we feeling about these restrictions? Because they're all Mario characters, are we still feeling good about Geno? Even though it would be more logical if this kind of tournament should wait until after his reveal?
The timing is suspect because clearly its meant to celebrate the 35th anniversary by the end of the year but why was it delayed to mid December? As we've talked about a couple of times, it could have been in September with no schedule conflict or, hell, anytime since March. On a smaller scale it's also kind of suspect that it's after the VGAs and not before if it's just a tournament for funsies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The timing is suspect because clearly its meant to celebrate the 35th anniversary by the end of the year but why was it delayed to mid December? As we've talked about a couple of times, it could have been in September with no schedule conflict or, hell, anytime since March. On a smaller scale it's also kind of suspect that it's after the VGAs and not before if it's just a tournament for funsies.
which is why FP8's reveal/release chances are potentially high. Once that tournament ends, it'll be time to set a clock to see when the news drops

MattX20

Smash Hero
Thank you all for the Birthday wishes, by the way. Hopefully this is my last birthday before Geno's reveal (winds up dying instead).
I hope so too. I've been waiting for him since 2007 at least, maybe not as long as some of the other viewers/users who frequent the site, but nearly half my life I've been waiting to see him show up nonetheless.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I’ve been a fan for 25 years. I’m 33. I’ve been rooting for him since after Melee. I feel like as these Smash games have been coming out over the years, we’ve been getting closer to Geno coming back. Geno has become an enigma. You guys deserve it so much. I want to see it happen so badly. I’m so thankful that I can talk to you guys about this character, because you understand like I do, why Geno is special.

D

Deleted member

Happy Birthday SwoleManUnderWater!

Also, I think the tournament could possibly land us a reveal a couple days after. However, I’m personally leaning towards a reveal in January. I’m leaning towards having reveals at a 3 month or possibly longer timeframe especially how the virus has messed up everything and the team gotten smaller for work.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Happy Birthday SwoleManUnderWater!

Also, I think the tournament could possibly land us a reveal a couple days after. However, I’m personally leaning towards a reveal in January. I’m leaning towards having reveals at a 3 month or possibly longer timeframe especially how the virus has messed up everything and the team gotten smaller for work.
I would personally think a reveal would happen in December, but the character could be released in January, unless I am missing something here, which I think I am.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This is definitely giving me "Reggie is appearing at TGA (2019), he MUST be revealing something exciting" vibes, all for him to just give a 5 minute speech about video games and present the best indie game award.

Seriously though, Reggie showing up a TGA means nothing. Keep in mind, he doesn't even work at Nintendo anymore so its unlikely he's gonna announce something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is definitely giving me "Reggie is appearing at TGA (2019), he MUST be revealing something exciting" vibes, all for him to just give a 5 minute speech about video games and present the best indie game award.

Seriously though, Reggie showing up a TGA means nothing. Keep in mind, he doesn't even work at Nintendo anymore so its unlikely he's gonna announce something.
I can see it now. Reggie comes up on the skype call and gives a 5 minute speech about how video games helped everyone cope with staying indoors for all of three weeks and helped everyone discover something about themselves, then he hands away the game awards' newest award: best game to play during pandemic lockdown. He virtually hands a virtual award to the virtual likeness of Doug Bowser who is accepting the award on behalf of the Animal Crossing team.

The VGA live studio band plays the New Horizons main theme on FL Studio and just before we all fall asleep Reggie says "now I know a lot of people are wondering about Super Smash Bros, and I have a very close friend here to help me introduce the next character in a game that I got bodied at countless times"

Donald Mustard comes up on the screen and I immediately go load the revolver.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Didn't Reggie appear at the Game Awards last year? With that, we know that there wasn't a single Smash reveal by then. Why would Reggie make a Smash reveal happen at this year's Game Awards?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Reminder

only 6 days until our next Smash Bros. DLC fighter drops in

1607216937294.jpeg

In all seriousness, I seriously doubt a Smash reveal this month. December is already shaping up to be the cherry on top of the **** sundae that is 2020, at least how i’m seeing it.
Still, hope you enjoyed your day, Fatman, and your birthday present will likely arrive next year (hopefully in January as Fighter 8)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Happy Birthday Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
Reminder

only 6 days until our next Smash Bros. DLC fighter drops in

View attachment 294338

In all seriousness, I seriously doubt a Smash reveal this month. December is already shaping up to be the cherry on top of the **** sundae that is 2020, at least how i’m seeing it.
Still, hope you enjoyed your day, Fatman, and your birthday present will likely arrive next year (hopefully in January as Fighter 8)
In all honestly I get the feeling the Game Awards is going to be bigger than people are making it out to be this year, atleast in non-Nintendo stuff (believe it or not, other companies make video games). It's already become the defacto place for Winter announcements and with how much stuff was obviously pushed back due to Covid and E3 being cancelled this is kinda the only big place for them to dump that stuff at the moment. I'm not really expecting anything too specific other than Elden Ring though (and if it isn't there people finally have a good reason to complain about where the hell it is).

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I’m not saying it will happen and I don’t expect it, but last year Microsoft caught pretty much everyone off guard when they announced the Series X last year. It was a smart decision considering millions of people, non-Xbox people especially were watching.
What are the chances of something similar happening with Nintendo? If the Switch Pro rumors are true, it’s possible they could just say “surprise *******, here’s the Switch Pro. Get it when it comes out”. Heck they could even throw BotW2 gameplay or a cinematic MP4 trailer to showcase it’s power.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, I’m not saying it will happen and I don’t expect it, but last year Microsoft caught pretty much everyone off guard when they announced the Series X last year. It was a smart decision considering millions of people, non-Xbox people especially were watching.
What are the chances of something similar happening with Nintendo? If the Switch Pro rumors are true, it’s possible they could just say “surprise *******, here’s the Switch Pro. Get it when it comes out”. Heck they could even throw BotW2 gameplay or a cinematic MP4 trailer to showcase it’s power.
0. Nintendo tends to reveal their hardware plans at dedicated events or in press releases, especially on the handheld side. More importantly, they like a swift window between reveal and release on stuff like this, and pretty much everything points away from a Q1 2021 release for the Pro. I mean, we still don't even have any rumored specs for the thing.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Until the 3rd week of December has come and gone, it's too early to say it's a wrap for 2020. We will know by Friday the 18th whether or not we got a reveal/release to close out the year

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Unlikely of a switch pro announcement considering they will want to push their existing Nintendo Switch for Christmas. They will likely talk about Switch Pro in the new year

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
To people saying that Reggie being at the game awards means nothing for Smash... yeah, you’re right. But people don’t have to think that Reggie’s going to announce the next fighter to be excited that he’s at the game awards. Reggie’s awesome and people love him, and that has nothing to do with announcing the next fighter.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Remember reggie’s quote about fortnight “ I can’t wait to jump of the battle bus and meet some of you on the battlefield in fortnight”

Bet he’s reappearing to announce fortnight and then say the exact same quote again but change the word fortnight at the end to smash instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom