• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
A couple of things:

-Tournaments have been heavy during months with multiple presentations. January, June, September, October, and November are notable here.

-Something I didn't fully list here is that overlap with these events is very rare. Usually there's only one major event on weekends. The only times they have scheduled multiple events in the same weekend were the Splatoon and Smash tournaments in June, the Mario Kart and Pokken tournament in June, and this past weekend of Mario Tennis Aces and Pokemon. The upcoming Smash and Splatoon tournaments are scheduled on the same weekend too.

-Something else I noticed is that February, March, June, and October all had Smash Invitationals. February was the weekend after Byleth was released, March was the Mini Direct that revealed ARMS, June was Min Min's reveal and release, and October was Steve's release and reveal.

-The Smash invitationals started very close to the beginning or the end of their respective months. Reveals early in the month resulted in late invitationals and vice versa. Even the Smash challenge cup in September was on the last weekend of September, coincidentally the one before Steve's reveal. Note that the upcoming Mario Smash tournament is the very first weekend of December.
I'd like to add on the list that these Smash tournaments do have connections to DLC. I will be posting the list that i've been keeping track of

PP Came out in Jan 29 2019

Ultimate NA open was on Feb 2nd 2019

June 29 was the 2nd NA Open
Hero came out a Month later because of e3 (Note: Hero was Delayed and was supposed to be dropped AT e3 but it didn't happen)

Banjo came out September 4th the 3rd NA open was on Sept 21

Terry came out on Nov 6th the 4th NA open was on the 10th of Nov

Byleth came out on January 28th 2020 the 5th NA open was on Feb 2 2020

ARMS ( Min Min) rep annouced March 26 the 6th NA open was on Feb 29

The 7th NA open starts on May 30th and ends in June 20th Min Min was annouced June 22 and comes out on June 29

Sept 26th was the 8th open Tournament, Steve Was annouced Oct 1st and is coming out Oct 13th (was a differenet style of tournament but will be treated as an open tournament)

(As of Oct 13 2020) The 9th Open Tournament starts on Oct 24 and ends in Nov 1st

(As of Nov 15 2020) The Super mario 35th anniversary Tournament is being held on Dec 5th

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'd like to add on the list that these Smash tournaments do have connections to DLC. I will be posting the list that i've been keeping track of

PP Came out in Jan 29 2019

Ultimate NA open was on Feb 2nd 2019

June 29 was the 2nd NA Open
Hero came out a Month later because of e3 (Note: Hero was Delayed and was supposed to be dropped AT e3 but it didn't happen)

Banjo came out September 4th the 3rd NA open was on Sept 21

Terry came out on Nov 6th the 4th NA open was on the 10th of Nov

Byleth came out on January 28th 2020 the 5th NA open was on Feb 2 2020

ARMS ( Min Min) rep annouced March 26 the 6th NA open was on Feb 29

The 7th NA open starts on May 30th and ends in June 20th Min Min was annouced June 22 and comes out on June 29

Sept 26th was the 8th open Tournament, Steve Was annouced Oct 1st and is coming out Oct 13th (was a differenet style of tournament but will be treated as an open tournament)

(As of Oct 13 2020) The 9th Open Tournament starts on Oct 24 and ends in Nov 1st

(As of Nov 15 2020) The Super mario 35th anniversary Tournament is being held on Dec 5th
are there any tourneys that wernt close to a character reveal/release?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
For Fighters Pass Vol. 2,
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open May 2020 tournament ended on June 21st. The next day Min Min was revealed as CP 6 (one day difference).
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate VS Challenge Cup September 2020 tournament ended on September 26th. Steve/Alex were revealed as CP 7 on October 1st (five day difference).

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno comes to Smash, I think I'm gonna be grinning like a kuchisake-onna an idiot, because that means that one time I was able to vote and voted for Geno, it actually ended up leading to something.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Well, would ya look at that. Another instance of Nintendo listening to the fans. Gee, its almost as if Nintendo isn't as tone deaf as people make them out to be. I wonder what other fan request they'll listen to next? :geno:
To be fair though, Nintendo was fairly radio silent on the whole thing until last month. Prior to that, when the game first came out and everyone complained about it, not many people thought anything was going to happen because Nintendo didn't really publicly acknowledge the outcry or said they would fix it in the future.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
OK, who are these hackers and how much would it take to hire them to gut Nintendo? If those stingy punks at Nintendo refuse to give us any info, I'm ready to find someone who will.
A lot of the stuff they released wasn't new announcements but the private information of Capcom staff. This affects real people, you entitled prick. Nintendo has given us plenty of info, they've just spread it out this year.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
You know how people will react if we get nothing this week? The raw, crystallized rage people will exhibit at no news that will shake heaven and hell itself!?

"Oh, looks like nothing else happened this week. OK, moving on."
OFC, nobody expects nothing right now, most of us think it[s way, way too soon for another dlc announcement.
Well, would ya look at that. Another instance of Nintendo listening to the fans. Gee, its almost as if Nintendo isn't as tone deaf as people make them out to be. I wonder what other fan request they'll listen to next? :geno:
Hell, we might even see some f zero or earthbound games next?
Or golden sun...
custom robo...
chibi robo....
or rollback smash....
or... I could definitely go all day with Nintendo listening to fans.
One crumb of a move from nintendo doesn't mean they listen to fans , it happens, but it's not common.
the thread would definitely not be as long if they listened to fans.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
“...But the list of "potentially compromised" people is much larger, including callers to Capcom's Japanese help desk, Capcom Store customers, members of Capcom's North American esports teams, company shareholders, and former applicants for Capcom jobs.

The information revealed in the attack generally includes names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. But current and former employees had their passport information and signature revealed, Capcom says, while job applicants may have had personal photos leaked.“

To everyone here: Read that three times before making any stupid & entitled remarks about how you wish the capcom ransomware attack would happen to Nintendo/anyone. Data was stolen and everyday people were impacted. That’s not worth it to get hands on something as petty as a game’s roster or release date.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hey, I've been taking a break from smash speculation since Steve came out. Did I miss anything interesting? Any evidence for Geno or rumors of a direct? What are your thoughts on the "last partner showcase of the year" comment and the (shudders) fortnite in smash rumors?

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
New Age of Calamity 7-11 ad.
Does this mean nothing until the 29th?! ... No, and don't twist it to make it seem like that.

Hey, I've been taking a break from smash speculation since Steve came out. Did I miss anything interesting? Any evidence for Geno or rumors of a direct? What are your thoughts on the "last partner showcase of the year" comment and the (shudders) fortnite in smash rumors?
I think we could see a reveal fairly soon.

Expect Partner's to come back next year, but not as a replacement for general directs.

Fortmii.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Animal Crossing, a big "**** you" to people saying "They can't do news during a twitter countdown!!".

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing, a big "**** you" to people saying "They can't do news during a twitter countdown!!".
doesn’t this also go against the idea of there being a direct this week?

not saying there can’t be an individual smash reveal, but idk why there would be a direct if this wasnt saved for it. The 3DAS update also turned out to be a bigger deal than I thought and they didnt save that for anything

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

not saying there can’t be an individual smash reveal, but idk why there would be a direct if this wasnt saved for it. The 3DAS update also turned out to be a bigger deal than I thought and they didnt save that for anything
Oh it does, I'm not thinking there is a direct until 2021.
Was pushing for the possibility at first but now I no longer expect one.

Last edited:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
They actually listened, like they listened with Ridley, KKR, Banjo-Kazooie and many more; and like they will materialize with Geno next weeks/months.
ye, that's why I all but expect geno being one of the last four, even not being a ravenous supporter myself. They always throw in a few corporate choices, but at least a couple will be the top fan service choices. Remember the poll that got Cloud in Smash 4?

Reactions: QQS

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not Nintendo created ones. As G0nard G0nard showed, Nintendo hosted tournaments have a very close proximity to character reveals and releases, as few as a few days to about three weeks later. The fact that November is bookended with two major tournaments is worth paying attention to, especially since October was the same way and that gave us Steve. So, yet again, this is yet another very consistent pattern that suggests a Smash announcement before December 5th.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Kinda sucks that we missed an 7-11 ad and never saw it's contents. The recent one only has Age of Calamity in it. On one side, this would mean we will wait, but on the other Terry didn't need one for it's presents, so I don't know where I stand now.

Yes, that is correct.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
At this point, we're just going to have to clench our asses and hope that this tourney thing means something. It's solid track record so far does give me hope

I always found it pretty unreasonable to expect a full direct around this time, and i'm not patting myself on the back for being "right", I am just saying I am glad that we are coming around to the idea of an individual reveal a la Steve because that was always fine with me from the start and I know most of you would be fine with it also.

But... I can't lie and say i'm not mentally preparing myself for jack squat to happen within these next three weeks and for us to be waiting until January for Smash news. Worst case scenario timeline has consistently been the "standard" this year so it's hard to expect anything different at this point

And if that has to be the case, all i'm saying is that ya'll should probably just try to enjoy your winter break and de stress. It sucks we can't get news during that time, absolutely, but it might be better to just say "**** it", put a pause on speculation, and try to get some relaxation in your life after the piss poor year that has been 2020...

I can't wait till I fail to follow my own advice...

Firox

Smash Master
A lot of the stuff they released wasn't new announcements but the private information of Capcom staff. This affects real people, you entitled prick. Nintendo has given us plenty of info, they've just spread it out this year.
I love it when ignorant morons like you dig into people without actually reading the rest of what I had to say. When I wrote the post you're so erroneously bashing, I wasn't aware of the full maliciousness of their actions on top of the fact that I was half-joking at the idea in the first place. How about you open those dull eyes of yours and read on about how after their damages were pointed out, I quickly agreed that it was terrible and wouldn't wish such a thing on Nintendo. Take your insulting, self-righteous rants elsewhere and stop ripping on an outdated post.

Oh, if they're stealing info like private financials and stuff, that's pretty jacked up. I was only interested in game related stuff. Obviously we wouldn't want mass extortion.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
To be fair though, Nintendo was fairly radio silent on the whole thing until last month. Prior to that, when the game first came out and everyone complained about it, not many people thought anything was going to happen because Nintendo didn't really publicly acknowledge the outcry or said they would fix it in the future.
Yeah but that's because at the time, Nintendo most likely didn't know the backlash they were gonna get from it. As for taking this long to patch in GameCube support, that I'm not sure of. But they still ended up listening to the outcry anyways, so yeah.

Hell, we might even see some f zero or earthbound games next?
Or golden sun...
custom robo...
chibi robo....
or rollback smash....
or... I could definitely go all day with Nintendo listening to fans.
One crumb of a move from nintendo doesn't mean they listen to fans , it happens, but it's not common.
the thread would definitely not be as long if they listened to fans.
I'm not saying they always listen to the fans and I agree their are instances of Nintendo being completely tone deaf like the examples you just mentioned. All I'm saying is that Nintendo isn't as tone deaf as people make them out to be and their are instances like the one I mentioned where they do listen to the fans.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, so we got the AC update for the holidays, and that's the only real major update apart from Smash we can realistically see in this week. It's too soon for any additional Pokemon news since the last Sword and Shield DLC released a few weeks back and the re-release of the games with DLC included

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Okay, so we got the AC update for the holidays, and that's the only real major update apart from Smash we can realistically see in this week. It's too soon for any additional Pokemon news since the last Sword and Shield DLC released a few weeks back and the re-release of the games with DLC included
Yeah, I don't think we'll hear any big Pokemon news until the February 2021 Pokemon Direct which announces the Diamond and Pearl remakes.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Not Nintendo created ones. As G0nard G0nard showed, Nintendo hosted tournaments have a very close proximity to character reveals and releases, as few as a few days to about three weeks later. The fact that November is bookended with two major tournaments is worth paying attention to, especially since October was the same way and that gave us Steve. So, yet again, this is yet another very consistent pattern that suggests a Smash announcement before December 5th.
I would first like to say Thank you Fatmanonice (i barely touch smash boards so idk how to tag I'm sorry) for mentioning my post, I'd like to bring up a few things regarding these open tournaments

- While we could get a reveal BEFORE Dec 5th I believe we won't get anything until Dec 10th which is the game awards since Geoff REALLY wants to do another smash reveal so I'd say Dec 10th at the latest

-If we get NOTHING smash related on Dec 10th I would sadly call this pattern BROKEN

-I also want to point out that they will NEVER announce something DURING a tournament it will always be BEFORE or AFTER a tournament such was the case for Min Min as I heard she was coming out at a date that was during the tournament so keep your eyes open for not only the starting day but also the FINAL Day

Also Fatmanonice If it's okay with you I wish to DM you about some things, just some questions and theory's that I have regarding certain things

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
cf22ed796fd8045e4d0f20c8a54befdb.jpg

So, a funny thing happened on my way to the forum this morning and Square Enix is doing a countdown for next Tuesday.

99% this is the secret Switch project that Nomura hinted at back in September so now Doom Eternal is now the only major third party game that was deemed Soon™ that doesn't have a definitive timeline. Why does this matter?

I've been talking about how this week and the first week of December were probably the last calls for Switch news from Nintendo this year. Now it's been confirmed that we're getting a major announcement the week of Thanksgiving which is totally new territory. Historically, the week of Thanksgiving is a total dead zone and the fact they're doing this on a Tuesday is really out there. This year has been really strange but, again, there's always some degree of order in chaos. Up until this year, Nintendo rarely did major announcements and DLC releases in the second half of the month but this year completely flipped this on its head. Not only has every month this year had news of some kind but Nintendo has reserved a lot of it for the later half of the month. Here's an outline to show my point:

January- Byleth reveal and release

February- Animal Crossing Direct

March- Indie Direct, Mini Direct

June- Min Min reveal and release, Pokemon Direct

July- Partner showcase

August-Indie Direct, Partner showcase

September- Partner Showcase

October- Partner Showcase

Except for the January Pokemon Direct and the September Mario Direct, all the major presentations have specifically been in the second half of the month with February, March, June, July, and October having presentations the final full week of their respective month. Like the insufferable poindexter that I am, I decided to look into it and, sure enough, final week presentations are practically a "new" concept this year and second half of the month global presentations were overwhelmingly only reserved for Indies and Smash. So... Why am I bringing this up?

Because of how this year has gone down, there's a non-zero possibility that Nintendo could do something next Tuesday if this week winds up being a total bust. It would be unprecedented but, like I showed, this is the first year in Direct history that Nintendo has favored second half presentations to first and by a considerable margin no less. It would be a hell of a Hail Mary and why I'm currently saying the first week of December is more of a possibility if this week doesn't produce anything. Like I said, the way this year has gone down, this is the first time in Nintendo history that a pre Thanksgiving news dump wouldn't be totally crazy but it would literally have to be next Tuesday so it's not like the entire week is in play and why it's probably better to set your eyes on the first week of December or the second week of January instead.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I love it when ignorant morons like you dig into people without actually reading the rest of what I had to say. When I wrote the post you're so erroneously bashing, I wasn't aware of the full maliciousness of their actions on top of the fact that I was half-joking at the idea in the first place. How about you open those dull eyes of yours and read on about how after their damages were pointed out, I quickly agreed that it was terrible and wouldn't wish such a thing on Nintendo. Take your insulting, self-righteous rants elsewhere and stop ripping on an outdated post.
I think both of you are taking this way too far, and there's no need to get into personal insults.

MattX20

Smash Hero
View attachment 292039

So, a funny thing happened on my way to the forum this morning and Square Enix is doing a countdown for next Tuesday.

99% this is the secret Switch project that Nomura hinted at back in September so now Doom Eternal is now the only major third party game that was deemed Soon™ that doesn't have a definitive timeline. Why does this matter?

I've been talking about how this week and the first week of December were probably the last calls for Switch news from Nintendo this year. Now it's been confirmed that we're getting a major announcement the week of Thanksgiving which is totally new territory. Historically, the week of Thanksgiving is a total dead zone and the fact they're doing this on a Tuesday is really out there. This year has been really strange but, again, there's always some degree of order in chaos. Up until this year, Nintendo rarely did major announcements and DLC releases in the second half of the month but this year completely flipped this on its head. Not only has every month this year had news of some kind but Nintendo has reserved a lot of it for the later half of the month. Here's an outline to show my point:

January- Byleth reveal and release

February- Animal Crossing Direct

March- Indie Direct, Mini Direct

June- Min Min reveal and release, Pokemon Direct

July- Partner showcase

August-Indie Direct, Partner showcase

September- Partner Showcase

October- Partner Showcase

Except for the January Pokemon Direct and the September Mario Direct, all the major presentations have specifically been in the second half of the month with February, March, June, July, and October having presentations the final full week of their respective month. Like the insufferable poindexter that I am, I decided to look into it and, sure enough, final week presentations are practically a "new" concept this year and second half of the month global presentations were overwhelmingly only reserved for Indies and Smash. So... Why am I bringing this up?

Because of how this year has gone down, there's a non-zero possibility that Nintendo could do something next Tuesday if this week winds up being a total bust. It would be unprecedented but, like I showed, this is the first year in Direct history that Nintendo has favored second half presentations to first and by a considerable margin no less. It would be a hell of a Hail Mary and why I'm currently saying the first week of December is more of a possibility if this week doesn't produce anything. Like I said, the way this year has gone down, this is the first time in Nintendo history that a pre Thanksgiving news dump wouldn't be totally crazy but it would literally have to be next Tuesday so it's not like the entire week is in play and why it's probably better to set your eyes on the first week of December or the second week of January instead.
Since AC's update is most likely going to be the main update for today, we still have tomorrow, Thursday, and up to Tuesday of next week for Smash news with the extended timeline we have now

Dukefire

Smash Master
usual announcements news appear one to days prior to the real on either Tuesday or Wednesday of the week.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The main reasons I keep ruling the VGAs out are because:

1.Nintendo doesn't really do news dumps at the VGAs and when they do announce stuff, it's typically for games already announced.

2. A couple of people in my circle have all told me the same thing and that's to keep expectations in check for the VGAs, at least when it comes to Nintendo. Can't go into full details but apparently there was an attempt to have a 2020 VGA Smash reveal but Nintendo wasn't feeling it and more or less told people "they had their own plans" for the rest of Season 2. This is another reason why I've been strongly entertaining a November/December Smash reveal because the multiple anecdotes on this topic all basically said the same thing: Nintendo wasn't going to have a big presence at the VGAs because they're wanting to reveal whatever they're hiding in their cargo shorts themselves on their own time.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I guess for me I keep thinking back to last year when there was rampant speculation about the Game Awards and a sense that given it was close to three months since Terry's reveal in September (and his release in November) that TGA video followed by a potential release in the next month seemed logical.

And of course we didn't get that and ended up with the infamous Byleth reveal on some arbitrary date in early January.

Given that the this time its almost an odd repeat of Terry's timeline (with the news and release in October as opposed to Sept/Nov) that history could very likely repeat. A solid 90 or so days pass since the Steve reveal and once again early in the year on some arbitrary date, we do in fact get another mystery Smash video for fighter 8.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Nintendo wasn't going to have a big presence at the VGAs because they're wanting to reveal whatever they're hiding in their cargo shorts themselves on their own time.
Hmm... cargo shorts. Hmm. 🤔 👀

ahem Well, moving on, let's see what either tomorrow or Thursday brings.

Now in regards to the new TWEWY site, I mentioned on the Neku support thread; I believe this is a new TWEWY game. At the bottom of the site, the BGM that plays is a different version from the TWEWY Final Remix track. Would be pretty cool tho.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I guess for me I keep thinking back to last year when there was rampant speculation about the Game Awards and a sense that given it was close to three months since Terry's reveal in September (and his release in November) that TGA video followed by a potential release in the next month seemed logical.

And of course we didn't get that and ended up with the infamous Byleth reveal on some arbitrary date in early January.

Given that the this time its almost an odd repeat of Terry's timeline (with the news and release in October as opposed to Sept/Nov) that history could very likely repeat. A solid 90 or so days pass since the Steve reveal and once again early in the year on some arbitrary date, we do in fact get another mystery Smash video for fighter 8.
Haha I remember watching TGA 2019 with a bunch of friends on Discord when nothing Smash happened. We were all like:
EmEeN_AXEAAftYI.jpeg

Firox

Smash Master
The main reasons I keep ruling the VGAs out are because:

1.Nintendo doesn't really do news dumps at the VGAs and when they do announce stuff, it's typically for games already announced.

2. A couple of people in my circle have all told me the same thing and that's to keep expectations in check for the VGAs, at least when it comes to Nintendo. Can't go into full details but apparently there was an attempt to have a 2020 VGA Smash reveal but Nintendo wasn't feeling it and more or less told people "they had their own plans" for the rest of Season 2. This is another reason why I've been strongly entertaining a November/December Smash reveal because the multiple anecdotes on this topic all basically said the same thing: Nintendo wasn't going to have a big presence at the VGAs because they're wanting to reveal whatever they're hiding in their cargo shorts themselves on their own time.
So I obviously don't want to assume that TWEWY announcement by SE is a sure-fire flag for one of their reps getting into Smash, but real talk, what do you think the chances are of that? Does TWEWY have any presence on Nintendo consoles? I'm not super familiar with that franchise so I don't know if Nintendo would likely ever consider it.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
So I obviously don't want to assume that TWEWY announcement by SE is a sure-fire flag for one of their reps getting into Smash, but real talk, what do you think the chances are of that? Does TWEWY have any presence on Nintendo consoles? I'm not super familiar with that franchise so I don't know if Nintendo would likely ever consider it.
I'm pretty sure TWEWY is a DS game and it got rereleased on the Switch.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Haha I remember watching TGA 2019 with a bunch of friends on Discord when nothing Smash happened. We were all like:
View attachment 292045
And that was on top the media focus on largely Twitch adjacent games (nothing wrong with that but not at all to my interest) and the vast majority of the titles revealed not even having gameplay footage. I admit I'm an older fan, but that was the most disconnected I've felt from the non-Nintendo AAA gaming scene given what was highlighted.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t worry at all about Neku coming to Smash

Tansut, the guy to originally break the news that TWEWY2 was coming, went out of his way to say “not Smash” when someone asked him if it was Smash related.

Heoj

Smash Ace
I mean, TWEWY's home is pretty much nintendo. The game was on ds and later it was ported to mobile devices and the switch a while ago, this announcement is likely going to be a sequel and its definitely going to be on the switch but i guess it could also be on the ps4

I wouldn’t worry at all about Neku coming to Smash

Tansut, the guy to originally break the news that TWEWY2 was coming, went out of his way to say “not Smash” when someone asked him if it was Smash related.
Personally I think that just because that Tansut guy said it wasnt for smash doesn't mean neku doesnt have a chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom