• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Metroid Prime 4 isn't even comparable. They had something of Metroid Prime 4 and willingly trashed all of it for some nebulous quality concern (which with Bamco is suspicious as all hell) and then handed it to Retro after the same team made the ****show that is Prime 3 and the studio is in absolute disarray. The entire chain of decisions feels like it was purposefully to make this game take forever to come out.
They didn't have it in a fully playable and showable state, they announced it was in development before they even knew when they could even release it.
If they gave Retro the project 2 years after it was announced I don't think it would be presentable back in 2017.

Then announce them. There's no human on the planet who expects an announcement to abide by any projected release date in this environment, and they could very easily provide no release date. Sony did it. Microsoft did it. Where is Nintendo?
Nintendo wants to make sure they can release the game before they announce them, even though they could just... announce them with no release date, that's how they are currently, Nintendo is very different then Sony and Microsoft when it comes to that and multiple other areas.

You are virtually lampooning my argument here. I'm not saying Nintendo just sent everyone home and said "see you when this pandemic business dies down", I'm saying that they are aware that there is no need to advertise fervently. This ties into the previous quote, actually: If they have unannounced projects, they have no impetus to announce them because they have a fanbase waiting for their every word but they don't have to pay to advertise. They can advertise when it's a month away and suffer no losses because their rabid fanbase will eat anything given to them at this point. It is incredible business sense to make this move and to assume that they'll slowly ease back into big news every month or some kind of "blowout is the only failure to understand business that I see.
You keep on saying it's incredible business without explaining on how it is and the reasonings you gave, like "They dont have to pay for advertisements" and "They have no impetus to announce them (unannounced games)" are... false.
They've been paying for a lot of advertising this year? Have you not seen the massive amount of "My way to Play' campaign they've been doing? They've been getting famous actors and celebrities to appear in their ads. They've been going crazy when it comes to ad's this year and that isn't going to slow down.
You're saying Nintendo is going to "slow down production" or something like that, at least that's the argument I'm getting out of your messages, but... no.
Nintendo hasn't slowed down production on purpose, they've been at work for a while now and that isn't going to slow down on purpose, in fact, they're likely working harder then they've been before on projects and products so they can get them out in 2021 like the Switch Pro and BOTW2.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
In other news, they announced another major Splatoon 2 tournament for the weekend of the 5th/6th so that's fun.

Okay, so we have both that and the Mario 35th anniversary tournament on the same weekend. Well, if we don't get anything this month, we probably should at least keep the next week after the tournaments conclude if only just in case.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, so we have both that and the Mario 35th anniversary tournament on the same weekend. Well, if we don't get anything this month, we probably should at least keep the next week after the tournaments conclude if only just in case.
That week is the VGAs though and it's on a Thursday so I don't think Nintendo will step on toes in that regard. I'm paying attention to the Mario Smash tournament because, if it was supposed to be in September but rescheduled to December, that will be the Smash event for that respective week. While we're waiting I might as well take a look at how Smash events have been handled in regards to presentations...

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
I just have severe doubts about Nintendo wanting or needed to do any kind of presentations before January... it seems most likely to me that outside maybe small Twitter announcements for DLC and potential surprises at the Game Awards that we're going to be dark on news until next year. There is a lot of sense in focusing their social media/marketing on continuing the momentum of currently popular titles (who knows how many more copies of Animal Crossing sell thanks to Christmas) and once they've maximized profits from that during December, go big the month after with reveals.

Just my take.
You're not alone. I want to believe CP8 is right around the corner but I expressed similar sentiments a few pages back.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I understand that compared to virtually nothing, Mario 35th, Monster Hunter, Steve Minecrafttale and Zelda Musou 2: Clam seems like a "news blowout" but it's really not. We're absolutely back to more of the same where they take one game and run with it for the whole month.

There is certainly a pandemic but that should not stop Nintendo from telling people what their plans are when it didn't stop Microsoft or Sony from telling people what their plans are, even if you can't provide a definitive date for it. With Nintendo it feels almost willful, and their increasingly iron defense over what they have in the works is somewhat worrisome.

It feels like you expect a business, whose primary purpose is to make money, to see that they're making money with little upfront expenditures and then decide "we need to spend more to make the same". Nintendo has found out that they can do nothing and make everything and that is how business works.
HNNGH!

Guys...my inner anti-capitalist really wants me to field this one...Lock me in the basement before i kill again!

Firox

Smash Master
It feels like you expect a business, whose primary purpose is to make money, to see that they're making money with little upfront expenditures and then decide "we need to spend more to make the same". Nintendo has found out that they can do nothing and make everything and that is how business works.
I have to admit, it IS pretty disgusting how companies like Nintendo have reached a level of notoriety that they can just sit on their asses and still make bank. It really screws the consumer in the long run, though such behavior can only be perpetuated by the consumer base in the first place so I guess we deserve what we get.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, just kind of a fair warning if you haven't seen yet, but a pretty massive cyberattack happened on Capcom recently, and the hackers in question have already released a good 60GB of the supposed 1TB of stuff they have, seemingly as a threat to get the ransom their seeking from them. And from what I've seen, a few legitimately major announcements have leaked out of this.
  • DOES THAT INCLUDE SMASH?
No, and I don't really know how likely it is that it would (most of the info we are getting is from internal stuff, presentations, documents and what not so maybe?????) but it's also only a small portion of everything they supposedly have. It is important to note that A. misinformation is going to go around about what's actually in here, and B. Some of the information is dated as far back as 2018 and might be outdated. We'll just have to see as people keep digging and if more files get dumped.

Last edited:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
If Nintendo wasn't a giant Mega-Corporation with influence in nearly every country on Earth, that yes, can sit on their ass and still make bank, none of us would be in this thread because Smash wouldn't exist.

Complain about the evils of capitalism all you want (I sure do), but at least be aware of the pros and cons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Nintendo wasn't a giant Mega-Corporation with influence in nearly every country on Earth, that yes, can sit on their ass and still make bank, none of us would be in this thread because Smash wouldn't exist.

Complain about the evils of capitalism all you want (I sure do), but at least be aware of the pros and cons.
I for one welcome our corporate overlords, I just like to point out the questionable thought that Nintendo is going to abandon what works because the fans demand better. It's a childish outlook.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, just kind of a fair warning if you haven't seen yet, but a pretty massive cyberattack happened on Capcom recently, and the hackers in question have already released a good 60GB of the supposed 1TB of stuff they have, seemingly as a threat to get the ransom their seeking from them. And from what I've seen, a few legitimately major announcements have leaked out of this.
No, and I don't really know how likely it is that it would (most of the info we are getting is from internal stuff, presentations, documents and what not so maybe?????) but it's also only a small portion of everything they supposedly have. It is important to note that A. misinformation is going to go around about what's actually in here, and B. Some of the information is dated as far back as 2018 and might be outdated. We'll just have to see as people keep digging and if more files get dumped.
The main thing I took away from the Capcom hack is that the Great Ace Attorney games are getting localized, while the game that should've been localized (Ace Attorney Investigations 2) remains in Japan still.

Firox

Smash Master
OK, who are these hackers and how much would it take to hire them to gut Nintendo? If those stingy punks at Nintendo refuse to give us any info, I'm ready to find someone who will.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something one has to consider is that Nintendo's moves will often have different reactions to different people. As a fan of various smaller franchises I haven't been thrilled with the directions of the company, but there's likely someone who may have been away from the Wii and/or WII U who's come back to the Switch and has been thrilled at the output. A lot of their current moves have been a better implementation of the blue ocean strategy circa 10 years ago. They're still going after a broad audience that will eat up something like a NSMBU, but have avoided alienating the hardcore fanbase too strongly like they once have.

OK, who are these hackers and how much would it take to hire them to gut Nintendo? If those stingy punks at Nintendo refuse to give us any info, I'm ready to find someone who will.
Keep in mind a lot this leak includes some pretty sensitive financial information, so regardless of one's thoughts about the ethics of getting information on just games themselves, this group still seems pretty scummy.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Funny enough, it was leakers and Gameexplain who took charge of advertising and informing the public about Mario 3D All-Stars. Nintendo's marketing department's contribution was just confirming the games existed.

Firox

Smash Master
Wait, I'm confused, how is the size of corporate Nintendo directly related to the existence of Smash? There's a difference between being a mega-corporation that gives a **** about their consumers and a mega-corporation that doesn't, and frankly neither really dictates whether Smash would or wouldn't exist due to those mindsets. The point being made was that when a company reaches a certain level of notoriety, their sales negate the need for quality improvement. This isn't just a business thing, that's human nature in a nutshell. We never improve or evolve unless there's an incentive to do so (usually the threat of death or discomfort does the trick). I, for one, was never trying to bash the idea of capitalism, but rather pointing out the fact that when a person or business is rewarded for mediocrity or minimal effort, they logically will continue with said behavior. Exhibit A: Gamefreak

Keep in mind a lot that includes some pretty sensitive financial information, so regardless of one's thoughts about the ethics of getting information on games proper, these group still seems pretty scummy.
Oh, if they're stealing info like private financials and stuff, that's pretty jacked up. I was only interested in game related stuff. Obviously we wouldn't want mass extortion.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to look up all the major tournaments that have happened this year or have been announced that have been put on by Nintendo itself. This is what the spread looks like and why I've been pointing out the number of events this month:

Splatoon 2 Winter Open January
Pokemon Winter Invitational January
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open January

Smash Winter Online Open February

Smash Spring Online Open February/March

ARMS Spring Open April

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open May

Smash Summer Invitational May/June
Pokken Summer Invitational June
Splatoon 2 Summer Invitational June
Pokemon Player's Cup June

Splatoon 2 Turf War July
Mario Tennis Aces Open July

ARMS Summer Open August
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open August

Mario Tennis Aces Open September
Splatoon 2 Fall Invitational September
Pokemon Player's Cup II September
Smash Challenge Cup September

ARMS Fall Open October
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open October
Splatoon 2 Turf War October

Smash Fall Invitational October/November
Mario Tennis Aces Open November
Pokemon Tundra Cup November
Mario Maker 2 Challenge Event November

Smash Ultimate Mario Tournament December
Splatoon 2 Winter Invitational December

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Decided to look up all the major tournaments that have happened this year or have been announced that have been put on by Nintendo itself. This is what the spread looks like and why I've been pointing out the number of events this month:

Splatoon 2 Winter Open January
Pokemon Winter Invitational January
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open January

Smash Winter Online Open February

ARMS Spring Open April

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open May

Smash Summer Invitational May/June
Pokken Summer Invitational June
Splatoon 2 Summer Invitational June
Pokemon Player's Cup June

Splatoon 2 Turf War July
Mario Tennis Aces Open July

ARMS Summer Open August
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open August

Mario Tennis Aces Open September
Splatoon 2 Fall Invitational September
Pokemon Player's Cup II September
Smash Challenge Cup September

ARMS Fall Open October
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Open October
Splatoon 2 Turf War October

Smash Fall Invitational October/November
Mario Tennis Aces Open November
Pokemon Tundra Cup November
Mario Maker 2 Challenge Event November

Smash Ultimate Mario Tournament December
Splatoon 2 Winter Invitational December
I'm not really sure how this points to anything? They've been holding tournaments all year. I mean seriously, March is the only month this year without a tournament, THE ONLY MONTH THIS YEAR WE'VE ACTUALLY GOTTEN A TRADITIONAL PRESENTATION. I really don't even get what your point here is.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Considering the stuff that hackers took during the ransom I wouldn't want to wish that on Nintendo at all, Even if it means it shows what games are coming up or what characters are in the fighting pass

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Do you understand the amount of money required to make Smash Ultimate a reality? It’s a lot.
Smash Ultimate? Sure. But all you said was "Smash", as in the franchise. I can assure you that the first couple didn't break the bank in nearly the same way. Smash had to built up it's own notoriety over time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not really sure how this points to anything? They've been holding tournaments all year. I mean seriously, March is the only month this year without a tournament, THE ONLY MONTH THIS YEAR WE'VE ACTUALLY GOTTEN A TRADITIONAL PRESENTATION. I really don't even get what your point here is.
A couple of things:

-Tournaments have been heavy during months with multiple presentations. January, June, September, October, and November are notable here.

-Something I didn't fully list here is that overlap with these events is very rare. Usually there's only one major event on weekends. The only times they have scheduled multiple events in the same weekend were the Splatoon and Smash tournaments in June, the Mario Kart and Pokken tournament in June, and this past weekend of Mario Tennis Aces and Pokemon. The upcoming Smash and Splatoon tournaments are scheduled on the same weekend too.

-Something else I noticed is that February, March, June, and October all had Smash Invitationals. February was the weekend after Byleth was released, March was the Mini Direct that revealed ARMS, June was Min Min's reveal and release, and October was Steve's release and reveal.

-The Smash invitationals started very close to the beginning or the end of their respective months. Reveals early in the month resulted in late invitationals and vice versa. Even the Smash challenge cup in September was on the last weekend of September, coincidentally the one before Steve's reveal. Note that the upcoming Mario Smash tournament is the very first weekend of December.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What are the specific times we should look out for in this week for news announcements?
Pretty much anytime between tomorrow morning and Wednesday night. No partners anymore for this year so it's not likely to be a shadowdrop and if it involves Pokemon or Smash we're guaranteed to get at least 24 hours notice. Still, if this week is a bust then we have the week of the 3rd left for 2020. If that's a bust, we can ***** and moan for 5 weeks about 2020 being Geno-less and onto itself providing undeniable proof that God is dead.

QQS

Smash Lord
At least with a CP8 announcement, we can be almost sure it will be a Fan Favorite character (for me Geno or Crash) or another epic candidate like Hayabusa, to close 2020 with half of the Pass.

Following this line, Geno could bring SMRPG to the NSO and even a new game; Crash can bring Crash 4 to Switch; and Ryu can bring NG Trilogy or more game to Switch.

Whether as 78 or 81, our boy will awaken! I just hope to see him soon so we all can have our wish granted! Not having Geno playable would be the worst and stupid move ever and believe, that’s not happening. Enormous evidence, coincidences, Fan Demand and Boss’s recognition.

This is happening now or later.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, something to take note is that in June and September, there were four different Tournaments (of various games including Smash). Within these months, or close to them ending, Min Min and Steve were revealed respectively. November also thus far will end up having four tournaments as well, and the last Smash tournament which ended in November 1st should be the potential starting point for a possible CP 8 reveal before the month ends.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So, something to take note is that in June and September, there were four different Tournaments (of various games including Smash). Within these months, or close to them ending, Min Min and Steve were revealed respectively. November also thus far will end up having four tournaments as well, and the last Smash tournament which ended in November 1st should be the potential starting point for a possible CP 8 reveal before the month ends.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1327884038988763136 I think it ended recently although it may be JP only. Idk the details are kind of confusing

MattX20

Smash Hero
Pretty much anytime between tomorrow morning and Wednesday night. No partners anymore for this year so it's not likely to be a shadowdrop and if it involves Pokemon or Smash we're guaranteed to get at least 24 hours notice. Still, if this week is a bust then we have the week of the 3rd left for 2020. If that's a bust, we can ***** and moan for 5 weeks about 2020 being Geno-less and onto itself providing undeniable proof that God is dead.
And Pokemon is especially unlikely given that it had the last of its DLC for Sword and Shield just released a few weeks back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom