• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
In less than a month Smash Ultimate will turn 2 years old.
Man, time does fly speculating, doesn´t it?
It seems like yesterday when I got dissapointed that the grinch leak wasn´t real.
Idk about anyone else, but to me it feels like it should be older than that lol
You´re thinking of smash 4?, unrelated, the time between brawl and 4 seemed like a lot, but it was less than between Melee and Brawl.
Man, from being 17 to 23, to 11 to 17. Now 30... time sure flies when you´re having fun.
Still, I´m hedging my bets on December,not so sure about the game awards.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
In less than a month Smash Ultimate will turn 2 years old.
It seems like yesterday when I got dissapointed that the grinch leak wasn´t real.
Idk about anyone else, but to me it feels like it should be older than that lol
You´re thinking of smash 4?, unrelated, the time between brawl and 4 seemed like a lot, but it was less than between Melee and Brawl.
Man, from being 17 to 23, to 11 to 17. Now 30... time sure flies when you´re having fun

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thinking on it, yet another reason I'm looking at next week is how the DLC characters have tied into Amiibo waves. As I sat this morning, phone in one hand and crinkling my disgusting carrot like fingers in the other, I realized that most of the DLC characters have had Amiibo waves very close to either their announcement or release:

Joker- announcement a day before an Amiibo wave

Terry- release a day before an Amiibo wave (Japan)

Byleth- announcement a day before an Amiibo wave

Steve- announcement a day before an Amiibo wave (North America)

This said, there is the possibility of someone being announced next Thursday and it wouldn't be that unusual, especially since this is what has happened for 3 of the last 4 DLC characters, with Min Min getting delayed two months. Coincidentally, I also noticed that Min Min's Amiibo wave would have been in the third week of April, just like Joker's release in 2019, so there's a possibility that Min Min being released on the 16th of April was the original plan.

Firox

Smash Master
Man, from being 17 to 23, to 11 to 17. Now 30... time sure flies when you´re having fun
Seriously. I remember the good old days of playing Smash 64 with my friends. Hard to believe that that was over 20 years ago. One thing is for sure: Sakurai gave birth to one hell of an epic franchise. Long may it reign.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. Next week should be interesting. Not only is there a ton of maintenance next week but a lot of events both leading up to next week and scheduled for next week including an Amiibo wave and a major game release. Hell, they announced yet another Mario 35 event today. Next week is turning into the busiest week Nintendo has had all year by a considerable margin and nobody knows why yet.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I dunno. Next week should be interesting. Not only is there a ton of maintenance next week but a lot of events both leading up to next week and scheduled for next week including an Amiibo wave and a major game release. Hell, they announced yet another Mario 35 event today. Next week is turning into the busiest week Nintendo has had all year by a considerable margin and nobody knows why yet.
We'll find out what Nintendo has planned soon enough

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So uh, Why exactly is next week busy again? If it’s just maintenance, I don’t think that’s strong evidence

Maitenance seems to rarely ever be spot on with hinting at news

MattX20

Smash Hero
So uh, Why exactly is next week busy again? If it’s just maintenance, I don’t think that’s strong evidence

Thinking on it, yet another reason I'm looking at next week is how the DLC characters have tied into Amiibo waves. As I sat this morning, phone in one hand and crinkling my disgusting carrot like fingers in the other, I realized that most of the DLC characters have had Amiibo waves very close to either their announcement or release:

Joker- announcement a day before an Amiibo wave

Terry- release a day before an Amiibo wave (Japan)

Byleth- announcement a day before an Amiibo wave

Steve- announcement a day before an Amiibo wave (North America)

This said, there is the possibility of someone being announced next Thursday and it wouldn't be that unusual, especially since this is what has happened for 3 of the last 4 DLC characters, with Min Min getting delayed two months. Coincidentally, I also noticed that Min Min's Amiibo wave would have been in the third week of April, just like Joker's release in 2019, so there's a possibility that Min Min being released on the 16th of April was the original plan.

This quote should answer your question

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, now do you guys think this possible Direct could happen AFTER next week's maintenance? Just wondering.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
To add there hasn't been a nso snes/nes update announcement this week so far like I originally thought would've happened around this point in time in line with their usual release schedule of every 8-9 weeks and near the middle of the month, (though it still could happen tonight or next Tues-Thurs night). With the absence of one so far it's got my eyebrow slightly raised as to them maybe holding off for a big update for n64 and whatever was rumored earlier on with the service. Keeping my eyes on next week with these maintenance sessions.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So uh, Why exactly is next week busy again?
-Mario Tennis Aces tournament this weekend.

-Mario 35 special event this weekend.

-Smash tournament event this weekend.

-Pokemon Sword and Shield tournament this weekend.

-Mario Maker 2 event starting Tuesday

-Mother pop up shop opening on Monday.

-Amiibo wave next Friday.

-Age of Calamity next Friday.

-Nintendo launches its annual Black Friday sale starting next Friday

-4 maintenances on Monday, a tie record for the year.

All in all, lots of stuff going on starting today until next Friday.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
-Mario Tennis Aces tournament this weekend.

-Mario 35 special event this weekend.

-Smash tournament event this weekend.

-Pokemon Sword and Shield tournament this weekend.

-Mario Maker 2 event starting Tuesday

-Mother pop up shop opening on Monday.

-Amiibo wave next Friday.

-Age of Calamity next Friday.

-Nintendo launches its annual Black Friday sale starting next Friday

-4 maintenances on Monday, a tie record for the year.

All in all, lots of stuff going on starting today until next Friday.
Something else to note, Nintendo seems to be on a schedule of adding new SNES Online games every 2 months since May, and they've consistently dropped every third Wednesday of the month (the only exception being September where it was the 4th Wednesday, but I assume that was because they also released Super Mario Allstars earlier in the month). They get announced atleast the week before, meaning if there is a new batch next Wednesday, it's almost certainly getting announced tonight (6 days was the gap in May). If it doesn't, they either just decided to wait until the last Wednesaday in the month for no reason, or they might be planning on launching a new system for the service (important to note Nintendo has pushed back most stuff on a 2-3 month basis, meaning that whatever would have been announced in September, say something to coincide with the 2 year anniversary of Switch Online, would probably be happening about now.)

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Why does it take forever for Nintendo to add 2-4 measly little SNES ROMs to the service? Is it really that hard.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Just to address this too, I actually looked into it and only one week this entire year had multiple maintenances but didn't have a major announcement or presentation that week and that was the week before the Animal Crossing Direct. Last time we had 4 maintenances on a single day this year was the Monday before the March Indie Direct. Also, yeah, PayPal maintenance is super rare and the last time it was done was the Monday before Hero's presentation last year. Beyond all that, all the Directs this year have had multiple maintenances on the Monday before them. Specifically zoning in on Smash related stuff, there was three before Steve's announcement, two before Min Min's release, three before the March Mini, and two the week before Byleth's that had the Pokemon presentation in January.

TL;DR: Multiple maintenances are surprisingly strong predictors of major announcements.

Add in:

Also, just to add to what pinshadow pinshadow said, the NSO has updated every two months on average in 2020. Outside Japan had a gap between February and May but Japan had an exclusive NSO update in April to celebrate Fire Emblem's 30th anniversary.

This being said, this further solidifies that the odds of November getting an NSO update is very, very high.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

No, I was thinking of Ultimate.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
In regards to Papa's recent video, I don't think the DOOM anniversary falling on TGA 2020 means anything. 99% of the time, anniversaries or events have never lined up with a character reveal, barring Little Mac and maybe Steve as exceptions. I feel like any other time an anniversary or event lines up with a Smash reveal, its almost always a coincidence at best.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yet another thing I was just reminded of thanks to Star Road:

-The Super Mario Game and Watch comes out tomorrow.

So... That's 5 Mario events happening starting tomorrow if you count the Black Friday sale starting next Friday because a good chunk of them are Mario games (technically 5 out of 8 the first party games going on sale).

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Maybe you’re just young, then but for me (and super88cloud super88cloud i’m assuming) it really does not feel like Ultimate should already be 2 years old. Time ****ing FLIES, but in a disaster of a year like 2020, that’s probably a good thing.
Geno just needs to be in this dang game already.
Oh believe me, time does fly for me as well, 2019 just flew by. But 2020's just slowed things to a crawl for me, it's weird.
Yeah, if there’s an NSO update, I’m gonna need Donkey Kong Country 3.

View attachment 291744
Wow, it's been so long since I've seen anyone reference The Proud Family.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, when do Directs usually happen compared to when maintenance happen? Like before or after?
Days after. Like I said earlier, the only time this year when we had multiple maintenances and absolutely nothing that week was the week before the Animal Crossing Direct. What's notable about that instance, however, is that there was even more maintenance the following week just before the Animal Crossing Direct so it all technically worked out anyways.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Days after. Like I said earlier, the only time this year when we had multiple maintenances and absolutely nothing that week was the week before the Animal Crossing Direct. What's notable about that instance, however, is that there was even more maintenance the following week just before the Animal Crossing Direct so it all technically worked out anyways.
So, we're expecting a Direct after the 16th, or the week after?

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
And nothing...
Reminder, this NSO update would of came 2 days ago, as the last 2 were on Tuesday's, July 7th, and September 15th

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
So if all this maintenance somehow amounts to nothing, when do you think is the most likely time we'll hear about anything big?
Yeah man I loved that show.

mid 2000s-early 2010s cartoons was my era.
Oh yeah give me anything from the 90s to the mid to late-ish 2000s and I'm a happy skeleton. Pretty sure the last cartoon I really latched onto was The Clone Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom