• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean considering Assassins Creed has game sales around Final Fantasy and Sonic levels, on top of also having a decent legacy; there is nothing to suggest that you can be "too big to get costumed". And it's not like Assassin's Creed lacks JP popularity either (it has a good enough following over there for a Western franchise). Sure, some characters may not be worth it to costume in terms of licensing fees; but the argument "too big to costume" doesn't really make any sense.

In Smash 4 we got both Heihachi and Lloyd as costumes, among others. Both of which belong to some of the biggest series in Japan currently. Obviously there were others too.

In Smash Ultimate we got Altair, Heihachi (again), Vault Boy, Travis Touchdown, and Sans. Again, Altair, Vault Boy and Heihachi belong to huge franchises; and Travis Touchdown, Heihachi, and Sans had a good bit of following and Sakurai even acknowledged Sans' fan demand.

On top of all that we have FREAKING Resident Evil, not even represented by costumes but rather just a Spirit Event.

People saying _______ would be too big to get costumed clearly haven't payed attention to the last year of DLC.

This isn't suggesting that popular characters like Ryu Hayabusa, Geno, Crash, etc, WILL get costumed. Just that there is nothing suggesting that they can't get costumed.

MattX20

Smash Hero
it's not a good sign though. Especially considering they're planning on pinning AOC related tweets for a little while, which means you can pretty much write off this week.
I didn't say it was guaranteed, I just said to keep your eyes open, not just for this week but for the week of the 16th as well.

D

Deleted member

In Smash 4, Samus, Captain Falcon, and Fox are DLC costumes despite playable. The slight difference is that we’ve yet to have a third party character both costume and fighter. Not sure if Nintendo would pay for the rights of a character to be a costume when there’s actually the real thing unless for filler. They possibly negotiated for Geno’s Mii costume in the first place for Hero then decide to make him playable or they never negotiated in the first place if Sakuai thought he could make Geno as an extra characters. It could be possible.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh, and they're posting up the Mario Tennis Aces North American Open again on the account as well. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1325876218458071043 If they're still willing to post stuff like this beyond the Hyrule Warriors posts daily, I think we have a decent shot of some Smash news this week or the next at the latest for FP8 (it may or may not be Geno, we'll have to wait and see).

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don't agree with the people saying that Sakurai shouldn't take a break because he definitely deserves a break. Him being a workaholic and working himself to injury is not a good thing. It just smells of people being selfish during putting a game over someone else's health

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Coming from probably the biggest Hayabusa fan on this site, Hayabusa is not too big of a character to be relegated to a Mii costume. If characters like Vault Boy and Altaïr are getting relegated to Mii Costumes there’s nothing to suggest Ryu can’t.
Imagine selling your own man short like this.

You guys really confuse me sometimes.

So, let me clarify something: I was wrong on Steve getting in. There was a time before I spoke with TheCJBrine TheCJBrine here and watched most of my friends play Minecraft and show me everything you can do in it, a time when I thought Steve could never work and was at best a Mii Costume or maybe a dtage-only DLC like Mario Maker. After speaking with all these people and witnessing stuff like Walls matches I realized that he definitely could be a cool unique character, but when the rumors started coming out about another Microsoft rep for some reason we ALL jumped onto Chief.

In my friend circles it was all about Chief and even my friends who played Minecraft wouldn't even mention Steve. For some reason, we all either thought he would make for a good Mii Costume alongside Chief or just didn't think about him at all. Steve caught everyone by surprise because we just became so focused on other options that instead of thinking of who a Microsoft rep could be, we just jumped aboard the 'It's gotta be Chief' train.

However, the rumors ultimately weren't wrong: we got a Microsoft rep. When we were all suspecting a first party rep, this happened as well: we all thought it would be Bandanna Dee or Waluigi instead of settling down and thinking about who Nintendo might want to promote, but even though we got the character wrong we had the right idea about it being first party.

Steve was 100% a case of 'Minecraft is too big to get just a stage or Mii Costumes'. I called that wrong, thinking he would be a costume, and in the end when I thought he could be a character I just forgot about him. We are getting good information but taking the wrong path, and I think instead of just tossing all the information away we just need to be more reserved and explore all our options.

To bring this back to the topic, Hayabusa is not costume material. I believe he will either be playable or bust.

For those who try to argue about Vault Boy or Heihachi are evidence that Hayabusa can get costumed, this is silly. You are making poor comparisons.

The argument I'm seeing is 'Just because popular franchise =/= can't be a costume' which isn't even an argument, that's just a statement, and a no brainer one to be honest. Nobody said 'Hayabusa won't be a costume just because Ninja Gaiden is a popular franchise', and if they did they should have done a better job backing up their statement.

Hayabusa has more than just his franchise going for him: he keeps getting brought back into the limelight without us taking action to speak about him, he had his rumors come out at JUST the right time, and Steve getting in has set a pathway for older leakers to be vindicated. Add in Nintendo's relationship with Koei and you have a recipe for a Ninja Gaiden sandwich.

Also, can't we PLEASE stop using Heihachi as a martyr of some sort? I'm sick of seeing 'See what they did with Heihachi? Now this means X about this popular franchise and Y about this requested character who ALSO has an old Mii Costume' because it doesn't mean jack crap. Heihachi was NEVER that popular of a request, Lloyd always outranked him, and most of you should have realized that when he was canned for Smash 4 his chances were dead from there. Please, go look up a move list for any Tekken character sometime. Just look up their movelist, and then look up a legend so that you can understand the MASSIVE amount of different between Smash and Tekken and why it was not possible to make Heihachi work in Smash.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
In Smash 4, Samus, Captain Falcon, and Fox are DLC costumes despite playable. The slight difference is that we’ve yet to have a third party character both costume and fighter. Not sure if Nintendo would pay for the rights of a character to be a costume when there’s actually the real thing unless for filler. They possibly negotiated for Geno’s Mii costume in the first place for Hero then decide to make him playable or they never negotiated in the first place if Sakuai thought he could make Geno as an extra characters. It could be possible.
Except Samus, Captain Falcon and Fox are all spirits, Miis and playable, so they can never be playable.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I don't agree with the people saying that Sakurai shouldn't take a break because he definitely deserves a break. Him being a workaholic and working himself to injury is not a good thing. It just smells of people being selfish during putting a game over someone else's health
If you actually got this impression from any of our posts then i’m convinced you only took the quickest cursory glance you could before writing this post. And knowing how you usually are, I would not be surprised in the slightest.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Due to a recent world event happening, my mood and stuff has just greatly been improved. Getting Geno before Christmas would end 2020 decently for me. Here's to hoping!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Off-topic, but does anyone here think there might be a possibility of a third pass being greenlit due to the success of the second pass?
A third Pass is certainly possible, but if it's happening, we're probably not gonna find out until around Fighters 9 or 10.

During the previous Pass's cycle, we didn't know about any additional DLC happening until just after Terry was revealed, and we didn't know it would be a full-on second Fighters Pass until Byleth's reveal.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Off-topic, but does anyone here think there might be a possibility of a third pass being greenlit due to the success of the second pass?
While chances are low imo, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Sakurai is a hard worker and he always goes the extra mile. He just always exceeds our expectations and that's why he is so unpredictable. While at the very best I could expect maybe one or two extra bonus characters after this Pass, I can never truly rule out the possibility of us getting a whole nother Pass, considering I was someone who fully believed Pass 1 would be the end of Ultimate, and then Sakurai surprised the living hell out of me when he confirmed in that magical September Direct that more characters were in development, so I do believe at this point, anything is possible, including a third Pass.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Oh, and they're posting up the Mario Tennis Aces North American Open again on the account as well. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1325876218458071043 If they're still willing to post stuff like this beyond the Hyrule Warriors posts daily, I think we have a decent shot of some Smash news this week or the next at the latest for FP8 (it may or may not be Geno, we'll have to wait and see).
I think a tournament and completely new info for Smash is quite different overall tbh. I'm still surprised people are thinking it's plausible for news this month tbh and the general ignorance towards points against it which are quite substantial but complete attention being paid to things going for it. It happened with Cloud true but they announced another presentation pretty much straight after. Double standards I guess.

it's subjective I guess. There are reasons for both sides. Best way to look at it for me at least is wait and see but not expect much so idk. Probably not but there are 2 sides to the coin.

For:
  • Extra Slots
  • Profit
Against
- Sakurai being pretty adamant this is the end and him usually telling the truth when talking in the short term like this.

Just as a sidenote, if we get anything it likely won't be echoes. There isn't much of a point of selling glorified clones as DLC when Sakurai has been striving to have all paid content be unique, with extra emphasis on new characters which pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for echoes right there. Another point could be that there isn't much point and just pack up development since it would presumably be the end of DLC but that is arguable at the least. They obviously wouldn't be free but if they are paid for, then it makes you wonder how much it would see for what is presumably just a character they already have with minor differences. Even if it was Ken style, obviously factoring in the general audience and fan base and the fact that echoes would surely be at least 2 dollars due to how Nintendo charge pretty much the same price for mii hats as outfits with hats then idk.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah totally we want sakurai to work himself to the bone thats what everyone is saying

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Giving any credibility to Style Savvy.
..what? Am i Missing something here? Was there a Style Savvy leak? Please elaborate a little, im familiar with many rumors from the past including the recent Adol bandwagon, but not this one.

Thinking other SNK characters LEGITIMATELY had a chance over the Ryu of SNK when a simple Google search would tell you otherwise.
To be fair i could have seen Kyo Kusanagi over Terry, but then again Kyo didn' even get a Mii Costume while Iori got one......

Actually the whole Terry situation makes me believe in Hayabusa more.

(the guy who thought that Mai was going to be the SNK rep got BTFO hard doe, poor fella)

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I haven’t seen this brought up much, but if Sakurai combined the fighters and echo fighters slots together in World of Light, would this mean there would be 7 more extra fighter spots?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I haven’t seen this brought up much, but if Sakurai combined the fighters and echo fighters slots together in World of Light, would this mean there would be 7 more extra fighter spots?
I'm not sure I follow? You got the 4 remaining ones this pass, then 4 additional WoL placeholder slots afterwards

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's possible. I mean, Sakurai and company have gone above and beyond with this game, so I wouldn't put it past them to go for a third pass. Not gonna hold my breath, though.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I follow? You got the 4 remaining ones this pass, then 4 additional WoL placeholder slots afterwards
From what I heard, there are four extra spots in WoL after Fighter Pass 2. There is a way to combine the fighters with their echo fighters on the fighter select screen. I’m saying if Sakurai decided to make it permanent for fighters and echo fighters to become one on the select screen for WoL, would this add more character slots for DLC fighters?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
From what I heard, there are four extra spots in WoL after Fighter Pass 2. There is a way to combine the fighters with their echo fighters on the fighter select screen. I’m saying if Sakurai decided to make it permanent for fighters and echo fighters to become one on the select screen for WoL, would this add more character slots for DLC fighters?
yeah, that's what I meant, the four extra spot. for the echo fighters select screen tho, i don't think that'll affect anything, as the CSS hard crashes when you exceed 91 fighters on the screen, and I'm sure it ignores any echo stacking

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The "WhAt Ab0Ut @ ThIRd Pa$$" debates honestly feel pointless at the moment. There's decent evidence to both sides of the argument (as well as the third take of them doing standalone bonus characters instead) but the fact is there's no real clear consensus of whether we are getting more because we still have 4 more characters in this pass to go through, and all signs point towards them taking a bit longer than normal to get them out the door.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
..what? Am i Missing something here? Was there a Style Savvy leak? Please elaborate a little, im familiar with many rumors from the past including the recent Adol bandwagon, but not this one.
I don't remember too much about it, but it had a lot to do with low information speculators and people were in a tizzy because DLC had just been announced. It was mid-November and because folks had datamined Style Savvy music they were spreading the word that Style Savvy might be getting a character in the DLC. If you look around between the 15th and the 20th of November 2018 you can find talk about it. I dunked on that too back then, glad to see I'm consistent in regards to calling out poor speculation.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with this Adol character, is this in reference to Ys?

To be fair i could have seen Kyo Kusanagi over Terry, but then again Kyo didn' even get a Mii Costume while Iori got one......

Actually the whole Terry situation makes me believe in Hayabusa more.

(the guy who thought that Mai was going to be the SNK rep got BTFO hard doe, poor fella)
So here's the deal: No one had a chance over Terry. It just wasn't possible. It's a very similar situation to what Geno has been through in the past: you don't go to Square and pick Geno over motherclucking Cloud Strife, and you don't go to SNK and pick Kyo, Iori or even Geese over the Legendary Hungry Wolf.

If I where making some sort of game that was a crossover, and I was on my way to Nintendo to negotiate with them for a character, would I go in for King Dedede? Olimar? Lucas?

No, I would be trying my damnedest to get Mario in my game because the portly plumber is the obvious choice.

I remember when I saw the leak, I was streaming SMRPG. Even then I was like 'It has to be Terry, dude.'

I popped off when they revealed him man, it was such a great inclusion and he's actually my favorite Challenger Pack of Vol 1.

However, I have only just begun to touch Persona 5, so that may change.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, the Adol bull**** is spreading to here now?
Don't believe any of the Adol "rumors", I don't even know where it came from, I just know it came from one guy in a random Discord server that is filled with lies and misinformation.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
I would think it's possible, all depending if Nintendo and/or Sakurai feel like they want to.

Personally I feel like Sakurai should take it easy for awhile, though if a 3rd pass does happen I wouldn't mind it.

Of course it all depends if Geno makes it into Pass 2 or not. If yes, then sure thing, if not then I hope he'll be in if a 3rd pass happens.

As for the pass itself, speaking on the optimism of Geno getting in already, perhaps they can make it easy and make it an Echo Fighters Pass, allowing more new characters but are just similar to others that the workload would be easy.
  • Dry Bowser, an echo of Bowser
  • Black Shadow, an echo of Captain Falcon
  • Octoling, an echo of Inkling
  • Panther, an echo of Wolf

There's 4 potential Echos that come across my mind first.

D

Deleted member

Maybe not unless Nintendo force Sakurai. I think it’s a good idea especially when echo Fighters is a brand new term and a bit of a highlight for Ultimate. We could definitely use that to give a series another rep.

Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon, Octoling for Inkling, Ninten for Ness, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Imagine selling your own man short like this.

You guys really confuse me sometimes.

So, let me clarify something: I was wrong on Steve getting in. There was a time before I spoke with TheCJBrine TheCJBrine here and watched most of my friends play Minecraft and show me everything you can do in it, a time when I thought Steve could never work and was at best a Mii Costume or maybe a dtage-only DLC like Mario Maker. After speaking with all these people and witnessing stuff like Walls matches I realized that he definitely could be a cool unique character, but when the rumors started coming out about another Microsoft rep for some reason we ALL jumped onto Chief.

In my friend circles it was all about Chief and even my friends who played Minecraft wouldn't even mention Steve. For some reason, we all either thought he would make for a good Mii Costume alongside Chief or just didn't think about him at all. Steve caught everyone by surprise because we just became so focused on other options that instead of thinking of who a Microsoft rep could be, we just jumped aboard the 'It's gotta be Chief' train.

However, the rumors ultimately weren't wrong: we got a Microsoft rep. When we were all suspecting a first party rep, this happened as well: we all thought it would be Bandanna Dee or Waluigi instead of settling down and thinking about who Nintendo might want to promote, but even though we got the character wrong we had the right idea about it being first party.

Steve was 100% a case of 'Minecraft is too big to get just a stage or Mii Costumes'. I called that wrong, thinking he would be a costume, and in the end when I thought he could be a character I just forgot about him. We are getting good information but taking the wrong path, and I think instead of just tossing all the information away we just need to be more reserved and explore all our options.

To bring this back to the topic, Hayabusa is not costume material. I believe he will either be playable or bust.

For those who try to argue about Vault Boy or Heihachi are evidence that Hayabusa can get costumed, this is silly. You are making poor comparisons.

The argument I'm seeing is 'Just because popular franchise =/= can't be a costume' which isn't even an argument, that's just a statement, and a no brainer one to be honest. Nobody said 'Hayabusa won't be a costume just because Ninja Gaiden is a popular franchise', and if they did they should have done a better job backing up their statement.

Hayabusa has more than just his franchise going for him: he keeps getting brought back into the limelight without us taking action to speak about him, he had his rumors come out at JUST the right time, and Steve getting in has set a pathway for older leakers to be vindicated. Add in Nintendo's relationship with Koei and you have a recipe for a Ninja Gaiden sandwich.

Also, can't we PLEASE stop using Heihachi as a martyr of some sort? I'm sick of seeing 'See what they did with Heihachi? Now this means X about this popular franchise and Y about this requested character who ALSO has an old Mii Costume' because it doesn't mean jack crap. Heihachi was NEVER that popular of a request, Lloyd always outranked him, and most of you should have realized that when he was canned for Smash 4 his chances were dead from there. Please, go look up a move list for any Tekken character sometime. Just look up their movelist, and then look up a legend so that you can understand the MASSIVE amount of different between Smash and Tekken and why it was not possible to make Heihachi work in Smash.
Not selling short, just being realistic. You can’t back up the reason he doesn’t fit as a Mii around rumors. Believe me, I’d be the one person on here to be OVER THE ****ING MOON over Hayabusa but dismissing a possibility of him ebeing a Mii and not playable is a straight shot to disappointment. Headstrong certainty to the impossibility of a Mii costume doesn’t do anyone any good. Anything could happen. At the HEIGHT of K. Rool and Geno’s popularity, they were Costumed. And Geno could become a Mii again. Is it LIKELY? No, not really but it’s never an impossibility.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If they're going to get to 91 characters, you might as well go to 100. Just because.
Doesn't the game crash if there's more than a total of 91 playable characters?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doesn't the game crash if there's more than a total of 91 playable characters?
they could in theory change it, but that depends if it's a software or hardware limitation... that part isn't known

if it's hardware, they could go to 100 in a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe on the Switch Pro

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Version 9.0.2 is coming out soon. Just saw it as I booted up Smash. I wonder what the fix is for.
Another update already? That's odd
Got the patch notes right here:
  • Fixed Steve's meat, replaced it with a potato.
  • Removed meat from all of the Alex alts.
  • Removed Herobrine.
  • Made Kirby 5% puffier.
  • Made King K. Rool's Belly Armor 10% shinier.
  • Nerfed Greninja.
  • Buffed Geno's Spirit to a 7 star ranking, the highest of any Spirit in the game.
  • Removed online play, replaced it with Paddleball Mode.
  • Added the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 soundtrack to Midgar.
  • Deleted Super Smash Bros. Melee from reality, replaced it with Paddleball Mode.
  • Little Mac untouched.
:ultpacman:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not selling short, just being realistic. You can’t back up the reason he doesn’t fit as a Mii around rumors. Believe me, I’d be the one person on here to be OVER THE ****ING MOON over Hayabusa but dismissing a possibility of him ebeing a Mii and not playable is a straight shot to disappointment. Headstrong certainty to the impossibility of a Mii costume doesn’t do anyone any good. Anything could happen. At the HEIGHT of K. Rool and Geno’s popularity, they were Costumed. And Geno could become a Mii again. Is it LIKELY? No, not really but it’s never an impossibility.
It's not just rumors though, I listed multiple things. Even if not, the rumors are important because of WHEN they came out, not the who they were about. It just so happens that these rumors were for Hayabusa, but had they been fore anyone else I would have been pushing them instead.

I REALLY wish I could say more, like who started the rumors, but this person is out of the game and wants to stay that way just like most leakers due to Nintendo fans being pretty garbage. All I will say is that due to the time these rumors for Hayabusa came out and how there has been vindication for Vergeben with Minecraft and this opens the door for more vindication possible for more leakers, you would be a fool to not have Hayabusa in your predictions list. That's not even factoring in Koei's crazy good relationship with Nintendo and Ninja Gaiden's legacy...and speaking of legacy...

Something I've noticed that stands tall amongst all the drivel we get in Smash speculation day in and day out is the fact that when Sakuri gets a say and the character isn't a first-party shill, he really does appreciate legacy more than he does anything else. We all say that Smash has turned into the Video Game Hall of Fame: The Game, and yet so many people forget that to be in a Hall of Fame you need to have accomplished something substantial in your life, something that would be worth recording and for people to remember. If you keep doing such things or improving on that major accomplishment, you can leave something great for when you are gone...you can leave a legacy.

Now, let us think about all the third party picks, all the way from Brawl. Let us look at all the franchises introduced to Smash.
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Sonic The Hedgehog
  3. Megaman
  4. PAC-MAN
  5. Street Fighter
  6. Final Fantasy, specifically Final Fantasy 7
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Castlevania
  9. Persona, which means Shin Megami Tensei by extension.
  10. Dragon Quest
  11. Banjo-Kazooie
  12. Fatal Fury, and basically everything SNK ever
  13. Minecraft
Look at this list. Now, the first thing I'll ask you to do is just let it sink in the Smash has all this and more for third parties, which is absolutely ridiculous. Never forget guys, this is Smash's golden era, so live it up while we can!

But after that, notice how all of these franchises have some sort of legacy in gaming. Sure, some are bigger than others (here comes the Bayonetta hate squad), but just look at this ridiculous line up of game franchises that are all such a big deal that even if you haven't played them, as a gamer you've heard of them. It really feels like Sakurai looks for characters from franchises that mean something to gamers and the world of gaming, which means legacy and fan request really are important.

Good thing Geno has both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom