• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Got the patch notes right here:
  • Fixed Steve's meat, replaced it with a potato.
  • Removed meat from all of the Alex alts.
  • Removed Herobrine.
  • Made Kirby 5% puffier.
  • Made King K. Rool's Belly Armor 10% shinier.
  • Nerfed Greninja.
  • Buffed Geno's Spirit to a 7 star ranking, the highest of any Spirit in the game.
  • Removed online play, replaced it with Paddleball Mode.
  • Added the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 soundtrack to Midgar.
  • Deleted Super Smash Bros. Melee from reality, replaced it with Paddleball Mode.
  • Little Mac untouched.
:ultpacman:
removed herobrine
Honestly they should just do that one for patch just for fun. Get the nonminecraft players speculating.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Another patch? Wonder if this is the "halfway point" between two fighters like the Small battlefield update was.

June - Min Min revealed and released.
July - Nothing.
August - Small Battlefield added.
September - Nothing (unless you count the Sakurai Presents announcement, but...).
October - Steve revealed and released.

Following the "halfway point" idea, we get:

October - Steve revealed and released.
November - Patch 9.0.2 released.
December - #78 revealed and released?

QQS

Smash Lord
CCDA49E8-7720-4755-9A44-3CC7796819D2.jpeg

A forest has trees. On Christmas 24th you put a tree. Geno is 24 years old. At the next day, on the 25th, you celebrate Christmas, where wishes come true. Geno is about to be 25 years old. What you put on top of the tree? A Star. Geno is Star. Geno will be our Christmas wish from Sakurai/Nintendo/SquareEnix. I was a kid when I first got my hands on SMRPG as a Christmas gift from my father, back in 1997. After like 23 years, I’m 30 and I still remember that feeling of opening SMRPG on Christmas Night. Geno was my hero and is still my hero. After 25 years, Geno Awakens!

Geno confirmed people.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 291557

A forest has trees. On Christmas 24th you put a tree. Geno is 24 years old. At the next day, on the 25th, you celebrate Christmas, where wishes come true. Geno is about to be 25 years old. What you put on top of the tree? A Star. Geno is Star. Geno will be our Christmas wish from Sakurai/Nintendo/SquareEnix. I was a kid when I first got my hands on SMRPG as a Christmas gift from my father, back in 1997. After like 23 years, I’m 30 and I still remember that feeling of opening SMRPG on Christmas Night. Geno was my hero and is still my hero. After 25 years, Geno Awakens!

Geno confirmed people.

I think revealing Geno at The Game Awards 2020 and releasing him on Christmas alongside Super Mario RPG on Switch Online would be an awesome Christmas gift.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I could see the announcement of CP8 being around The Game Awards but I don’t think we’re getting the character until at least January. Main thing I’m looking forward to with TGA is hopefully we can get a glimpse at stuff coming next year. I hope Nintendo has a decent present there like in 2018 but I guess we’ll see.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I could see the announcement of CP8 being around The Game Awards but I don’t think we’re getting the character until at least January. Main thing I’m looking forward to with TGA is hopefully we can get a glimpse at stuff coming next year. I hope Nintendo has a decent present there like in 2018 but I guess we’ll see.
Hoping we'll see Breath of the Wild 2 there.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
It's not just rumors though, I listed multiple things. Even if not, the rumors are important because of WHEN they came out, not the who they were about. It just so happens that these rumors were for Hayabusa, but had they been fore anyone else I would have been pushing them instead.

I REALLY wish I could say more, like who started the rumors, but this person is out of the game and wants to stay that way just like most leakers due to Nintendo fans being pretty garbage. All I will say is that due to the time these rumors for Hayabusa came out and how there has been vindication for Vergeben with Minecraft and this opens the door for more vindication possible for more leakers, you would be a fool to not have Hayabusa in your predictions list. That's not even factoring in Koei's crazy good relationship with Nintendo and Ninja Gaiden's legacy...and speaking of legacy...

Something I've noticed that stands tall amongst all the drivel we get in Smash speculation day in and day out is the fact that when Sakuri gets a say and the character isn't a first-party shill, he really does appreciate legacy more than he does anything else. We all say that Smash has turned into the Video Game Hall of Fame: The Game, and yet so many people forget that to be in a Hall of Fame you need to have accomplished something substantial in your life, something that would be worth recording and for people to remember. If you keep doing such things or improving on that major accomplishment, you can leave something great for when you are gone...you can leave a legacy.

Now, let us think about all the third party picks, all the way from Brawl. Let us look at all the franchises introduced to Smash.
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Sonic The Hedgehog
  3. Megaman
  4. PAC-MAN
  5. Street Fighter
  6. Final Fantasy, specifically Final Fantasy 7
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Castlevania
  9. Persona, which means Shin Megami Tensei by extension.
  10. Dragon Quest
  11. Banjo-Kazooie
  12. Fatal Fury, and basically everything SNK ever
  13. Minecraft
Look at this list. Now, the first thing I'll ask you to do is just let it sink in the Smash has all this and more for third parties, which is absolutely ridiculous. Never forget guys, this is Smash's golden era, so live it up while we can!

But after that, notice how all of these franchises have some sort of legacy in gaming. Sure, some are bigger than others (here comes the Bayonetta hate squad), but just look at this ridiculous line up of game franchises that are all such a big deal that even if you haven't played them, as a gamer you've heard of them. It really feels like Sakurai looks for characters from franchises that mean something to gamers and the world of gaming, which means legacy and fan request really are important.

Good thing Geno has both!
This has a big "Resident Evil is too big to not get a character" energy.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm not really sure where we go from here honestly. I was expecting something in the next two weeks but now it seems like they are in full Age of Calamity mode until then, so I guess we're waiting until after that, aside from potentially a dump of SNES Online Games.

That really only leaves 3 weeks and then Game Awards. The fact Nintendo is seemingly going a 3 week break with no major news drops right now makes me think my assumption that they are in a break period now is even more on dot than I thought, I'm not expecting anything major until the Game Awards at this rate.

Last edited:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really sure where we go from here honestly. I was expecting something in the next two weeks but now it seems like they are in full Age of Calamity mode until then, so I guess we're waiting until after that, aside from potentially a dump of SNES Online Games.

That really only leaves 3 weeks and then Game Awards. The fact Nintendo is seemingly going a 3 week break with no major news drops makes me think my assumption that they are in a break period now is even more on dot than I thought, I'm not expecting anything major until the Game Awards at this rate.
Making a pretty big prediction: We will get more Switch Online games announced tonight. It lines up with past dates.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
sigh
yeah i’m honestly a bit worried now. Pretty much 90 percent of the evidence we once had for November news, whether it be maintenance, page updates, or smash site changes, has been shot down all in the time frame of a single day. Granted; I thought a lot the evidence was flimsy on his own, it was the combination of all of them that had me raising my eyebrows.

Do keep in mind that this is purely my own perspective, i’m not telling others to feel down just because I do. And not saying I don’t still definitely believe in Geno’s chances; i’m just completely unsure what the game plan is at this point. Feels like everytime we get some leads, solid or not, they are eventually shot down.

it makes me worry that the Mario Tournament and it’s delay was for some sort of minor technical reason, and all of the speculation we’ve put forth toward it won’t amount to anything

People keep saying “oh, well we can just get a reveal at TGA” but honestly? Geno isn’t TGA material, Geno is Definitely not TGA material. Most of the audience would not even know who he is. He’s fanservice, he’d fit a lot better as E3 or Nintendo Direct material.

I still don’t think we have a Banjo of this pass though, people say Banjo had ulterior motives for his inclusion like “strengthening Microsoft‘s bond” and all that, but I honestly disagree with all that hard. He was fanservice pure and simple. Steve does all of that bond-ey stuff and then some, and he was planned for nearly 4/5+ years.

please though, enough with the “go away doomer” ****. It’s fine to have your own doubts and not push them on other people. if I become abrasive about it, then I agree that would be a problem. However, having doubts is simply having doubts, and I don’t know how I could be blamed for something like that considering Nintendo has had a major piss poor 2020 in my eyes that was only defied by a cool Smash reveal that happened over a month ago.

i’m just really confused as to what the hell is going on at this point. Doesn’t help that the political climate of this country has been bursting with flames for months now and spiked with the recent election, again, not trying to dive into that topic at all, just trying to illustrate why I am stressed as hell, and the light at the end of the tunnel seems like it’s dimming.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's not just rumors though, I listed multiple things. Even if not, the rumors are important because of WHEN they came out, not the who they were about. It just so happens that these rumors were for Hayabusa, but had they been fore anyone else I would have been pushing them instead.

I REALLY wish I could say more, like who started the rumors, but this person is out of the game and wants to stay that way just like most leakers due to Nintendo fans being pretty garbage. All I will say is that due to the time these rumors for Hayabusa came out and how there has been vindication for Vergeben with Minecraft and this opens the door for more vindication possible for more leakers, you would be a fool to not have Hayabusa in your predictions list. That's not even factoring in Koei's crazy good relationship with Nintendo and Ninja Gaiden's legacy...and speaking of legacy...

Something I've noticed that stands tall amongst all the drivel we get in Smash speculation day in and day out is the fact that when Sakuri gets a say and the character isn't a first-party shill, he really does appreciate legacy more than he does anything else. We all say that Smash has turned into the Video Game Hall of Fame: The Game, and yet so many people forget that to be in a Hall of Fame you need to have accomplished something substantial in your life, something that would be worth recording and for people to remember. If you keep doing such things or improving on that major accomplishment, you can leave something great for when you are gone...you can leave a legacy.

Now, let us think about all the third party picks, all the way from Brawl. Let us look at all the franchises introduced to Smash.
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Sonic The Hedgehog
  3. Megaman
  4. PAC-MAN
  5. Street Fighter
  6. Final Fantasy, specifically Final Fantasy 7
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Castlevania
  9. Persona, which means Shin Megami Tensei by extension.
  10. Dragon Quest
  11. Banjo-Kazooie
  12. Fatal Fury, and basically everything SNK ever
  13. Minecraft
Look at this list. Now, the first thing I'll ask you to do is just let it sink in the Smash has all this and more for third parties, which is absolutely ridiculous. Never forget guys, this is Smash's golden era, so live it up while we can!

But after that, notice how all of these franchises have some sort of legacy in gaming. Sure, some are bigger than others (here comes the Bayonetta hate squad), but just look at this ridiculous line up of game franchises that are all such a big deal that even if you haven't played them, as a gamer you've heard of them. It really feels like Sakurai looks for characters from franchises that mean something to gamers and the world of gaming, which means legacy and fan request really are important.

Good thing Geno has both!
Yeah, dude, I 100% agree with literally everything you’ve said and I really do think Hayabusa has like, at least a 90% chance of making it in but I think there’s always that small sliver of a chance that they could be costumed.

And yes, I’m aware of a few people besides Vergeben who are reputable-ish who are still backing up KT talks like Verge said and even go to the point to say that, yes the talks were about Hayabusa. Still, I’d rather be safe than sorry and not call victory before I see the white flag.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We probably might not even get a TGA reveal. 8 would probably be revealed little soon after or January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
My only real concern about a TGA reveal is just the fact that is Geno really TGA material? Like, I don't wanna come off as "that guy" who thinks like this but I can't see Geno being that big TGA reveal since he is only really known in the hardcore Smash circle. Joker was a character that comes from a game that was a GotY nominee before and Persona 5 was a huge hit, so revealing Joker their made so much sense. As for Geno, I feel like he fits more as an E3 reveal and if Geno really is the next character, then I can't see him being at TGA, but rather in a Sakurai presentation like Steve.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nintendo thought Palutena was E3 worthy.
Pacman was revealed behind closed doors.
Cloud was at a random Direct.
Hero, an incon in Japan, was shown at an event that the majority of Japan was asleep for.

Can we please stop trying to figure out when characters would be shown based only on hypeworthiness? It feels like gatekeeping.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
My only real concern about a TGA reveal is just the fact that is Geno really TGA material? Like, I don't wanna come off as "that guy" who thinks like this but I can't see Geno being that big TGA reveal since he is only really known in the hardcore Smash circle. Joker was a character that comes from a game that was a GotY nominee before and Persona 5 was a huge hit, so revealing Joker their made so much sense. As for Geno, I feel like he fits more as an E3 reveal and if Geno really is the next character, then I can't see him being at TGA, but rather in a Sakurai presentation like Steve.
I can definitely see why you and others can see this but just to play devils advocate, is Cranky Kong (Or Dixie, can't remember which one) really TGA material? Granted they are more well known than Geno but I think it's a comparable situation, or at least it was when compared to now as the VGAs have grown by a large bit.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even with the Hyrule Warriors posts scheduled every day until release, we still got multiple posts in a single day such as the reminder for the Mario Tennis Aces tournament going on in the next 4 days on top of fitness stuff. I'm not going to toss out November until it's truly done as Steve proved we can get announcements/reveals at the end of/beginning of the month, so FP8 is still very much in play. Plus, the week of the 16th mirrors exactly what kind of maintenance occurred before Steve's reveal, so FP8 (who may or may not be Geno) can still happen this month. Hyrule Warriors is the last Nintendo game to be released for 2020 and might as well count as their main holiday release; a single DLC character isn't going to affect sales much

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Even with the Hyrule Warriors posts scheduled every day until release, we still got multiple posts in a single day such as the reminder for the Mario Tennis Aces tournament going on in the next 4 days on top of fitness stuff. I'm not going to toss out November until it's truly done as Steve proved we can get announcements/reveals at the end of/beginning of the month, so FP8 is still very much in play. Plus, the week of the 16th mirrors exactly what kind of maintenance occurred before Steve's reveal, so FP8 (who may or may not be Geno) can still happen this month. Hyrule Warriors is the last Nintendo game to be released for 2020 and might as well count as their main holiday release; a single DLC character isn't going to affect sales much
Don't be that optimistic and try to get us hyped, Matt. No offense here, but it seems you are pushing to make us believe that something Smash related might happen. Remember that we just got Steve a month ago. I don't think we'll necessarily get something in this month. I may be sounding pessimistic, but there is also some realism in me here. Please don't try to make us believe in something when it may not happen.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Don't be that optimistic and try to get us hyped, Matt. No offense here, but it seems you are pushing to make us believe that something Smash related might happen. Remember that we just got Steve a month ago. I don't think we'll necessarily get something in this month. I may be sounding pessimistic, but there is also some realism in me here. Please don't try to make us believe in something when it may not happen.
I'm not getting people hyped, I'm just saying to quit doomposting and assume that Zelda news kills any and all chances of other announcements for the remainder of the month. People had the same attitude up until FP7's reveal was announced at the end of September. It's never wise to give up at the beginning is my point.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not getting people hyped, I'm just saying to quit doomposting and assume that Zelda news kills any and all chances of other announcements for the remainder of the month. People had the same attitude up until FP7's reveal was announced at the end of September. It's never wise to give up at the beginning is my point.
You have seemed to be at least pushing the idea in the past, key word, seemed, but other than that, you do have a point here. Still, I am beginning to think that nothing will necessarily happen this month, so while it is still early to write it off, I would not be one to think something WILL happen here.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Except Resident Evil never had anything behind them but speculation if I recall correctly. No credible persons talking about them, no rumors coming out during a proper timeframe.

Just because a difference is small doesn't mean you can act as if it isn't there.
This one, however, smells like hypocrisy and revisionist history.

The one thing Hayabusa has towards him is that Vergeben said that KT and Nintendo had talks about suposedly Smash, and nothing else (before you bring up the "brotherood of shadows" or some other thing, everyone know that it doesn't exist and that it's just some crap you made up. And the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy HD leak isn't valuable anything either, since most RE titles got ported to the Switch, kn top of them having already hapened).

I still think that Hayabusa is extremly likely to get in, it's just that "too big to be a Mii" is absolute bs that got disproven by RE getting spirits and Heihachi coming back as a Mii, literaly no character is safe despite what you believe, because it doesn't matter how big your bias is. Any MW can get Mii'ed or spirited at the most unexpected moment, doesn't matter if it's mike, yours, or anyone's.

The most iconic, relevant, and popular horror game series did not get characters, and one of the biggest and most influencial fighting game franchise got Mii'ed. No characters are guaranteed to be in before their splash screen appear during their reveal trailer, doesn't matter how big or small they are.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
View attachment 291557

Geno confirmed people.

So many numbers...

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Nope, we didn't just have Paper Mario: The Origami King news for two weeks up until launch, then a Nintendo Direct Mini on the Monday after the game's launch date. Definitely can't have the same happening with Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and news dump of some kind just after. Unthinkable.

Joking aside, let's just wait and see what Nintendo does in these next few weeks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, we have this week, next week, and the first week of December. Mid December isn't totally off the table either, especially since this year very heavily broke the norm of "presentations are rare after the 15th of the month." I'm still suggesting for people to wait things out because, after a very stressful election, my eyes are so glazed over that I think I'm getting cataracts from repeatedly seeing various equivalents of "nothing is coming the next 8 weeks so we should all kill ourselves in despair."

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, we have this week, next week, and the first week of December. Mid December isn't totally off the table either, especially since this year very heavily broke the norm of "presentations are rare after the 15th of the month." I'm still suggesting for people to wait things out because, after a very stressful election, my eyes are so glazed over that I think I'm getting cataracts from repeatedly seeing various equivalents of "nothing is coming the next 8 weeks so we should all kill ourselves in despair."
Not to mention there are no other games Nintendo is releasing in 2020 beyond Age of Clam Chowder, which is why I'm skeptical of the mindset that we couldn't get any more Smash news when there is nothing to compete with

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I predict we're getting spirit event being announced tonight for an upcoming game this week and it will be a fighter deconfirmation of being a spirit.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
There's a REALLY good chance that we could see an Age of Calamity spirit event these upcoming weeks before the game's release. On a side note, I can't believe we were robbed of having a Luigi's Mansion 3 spirit event in October. Would have been perfect :(
I predict we're getting spirit event being announced tonight for an upcoming game this week and it will be a fighter deconfirmation of being a spirit.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hero, an incon in Japan, was shown at an event that the majority of Japan was asleep for.

Can we please stop trying to figure out when characters would be shown based only on hypeworthiness? It feels like gatekeeping.
I wouldn't go that far, but it is a bit annoying at times. And to add onto that, King K. Rool was dropped in the August Direct.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

I'm not trying to gatekeep and I apologize if I came off that way. I just wanted to ask that question is all because it was on my mind.
Now the points that you did bring up gives me hope that Nintendo probably doesn't care about that and I guess Geno could be revealed at TGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom