• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
It probably will, honestly. BotW2 and Skyward Sword are borderline confirmed for 2021 and there's a decent amount suggesting the Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Ocarina of Time rumors are true too. Plus I want to say that Nintendo has celebrated every 5th Zelda anniversary since the 15th. Mario hasn't even gotten to the "big" announcements yet so I think Zelda's 35th will probably be a biggum too.
Wait.....”big” announcements???

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It probably will, honestly. BotW2 and Skyward Sword are borderline confirmed for 2021 and there's a decent amount suggesting the Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Ocarina of Time rumors are true too. Plus I want to say that Nintendo has celebrated every 5th Zelda anniversary since the 15th. Mario hasn't even gotten to the "big" announcements yet so I think Zelda's 35th will probably be a biggum too.
Actually, the one thing that would make me get it is if included Majora's Mask. I used to make a yearly thing of playing it

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Guys if Geno gets in smash then every geno fan on here has to every thing from that point onwards to persuade Nintendo to get the rights or to get square to use them.

that means getting geno’s announcement trailer to be the most viewed trailer out of every smash bros trailer

Getting it the most liked Smash trailer on yt

and Getting Geno to be the most sold fighter in smash.

These things could massively persuade Nintendo to buy the Geno Rights, get them to make a deal with square or even persuade square to use him more.

This could be our only chance to show Nintendo we want more Geno so we need to seize the chance if or when Geno makes it in

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's a bit early to call it quits today for any Sakurai Presents announcements. Keep your eyes open for the rest of the day just in case

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's a bit early to call it quits today for any Sakurai Presents announcements. Keep your eyes open for the rest of the day just in case
What makes you say that? Has such a thing been announced later in a day?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Tbh Sakurai Presents have typically been announced by now. It's not happening today but it's 90% happening sometime next week if it happens this month so not much to worry about when it comes to this.

It's worth keeping your eyes peeled but I wouldn't expect much

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I remember looking into it before the Min Min presentation was announced, and at least one Mr. Sakurai Presents (Hero) had its Twitter announcement posted at 8 PM (CST).
And Terry’s was announced at a similarly late hour. That being said, right now I’m expecting a General Direct to happen before the Sakurai Presents, maybe even with Sakurai Presents right after

MattX20

Smash Hero
What makes you say that? Has such a thing been announced later in a day?
As noted, both Terry and the DQ heroes presentations had their announcements late in the afternoon/night
I remember looking into it before the Min Min presentation was announced, and at least one Mr. Sakurai Presents (Hero) had its Twitter announcement posted at 8 PM (CST).
Exactly, hence why I'm not writing off the day until all is said and done. With the presentation announcements, they've not had a consistent schedule

Last edited:

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has really been into shadow drops lately, though I'm not expecting anything Smash related until next week.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo has really been into shadow drops lately, though I'm not expecting anything Smash related until next week.
Which is why they could announce a Sakurai Presents for next week as soon as today. Next week's even stronger in overall chances though

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I thought of looking something up after seeing that some of the products/games announced by Nintendo on yesterday's Direct would be available up until March 31, 2021, and with others bringing up next year's Zelda 35th Anniversary. The first Legend of Zelda game came out back in February 21st, 1986. Not exactly the deadline for some of the Mario games announced yesterday, but perhaps Nintendo's scheduled Mario's celebration up until that date, to then follow up with starting Zelda's Anniversary celebration (unless both overlap near the end of February or beginning of March).

D

Deleted member

And Terry’s was announced at a similarly late hour. That being said, right now I’m expecting a General Direct to happen before the Sakurai Presents, maybe even with Sakurai Presents right after
I hate to not expect a general direct or anything of that scale, but man I sure would be down for a repeat of September 4th, except taken to the extreme where Geno is simultaneously revealed and announced to be releasing right after the Sakurai presents on him which will be airing after this direct.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah, difference between Hero as well as Terry and the next character is completely unannounced. IIRC those ones weren't even streamed except from maybe the Terry one so I'm not too sure the pattern holds up. A direct is honestly not happening any time soon so I'd rather have it sooner like practically everyone else

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Really the whole thing about the 3D Collection is that its another example of Nintendo marching to the beat of its own drum, and this time to its detriment.

Given their previous history with stuff like the Mario All-Stars Wii Disc or Zelda Collections around the time of Wind Waker's release this recent announcement falls right along with that; a limited edition title with game ports aimed at celebrating the legacy of a big game series. The problem with this is that the industry has very much moved on from that kind of concept, especially with the idea of removing the digital version from storefronts not due to the license/rights expiring but just because.

In an era where one can still buy both numerous games and their remasters on Steam, the PSN Store, or Xbox Live to this day, something like the 3D Mario All-Stars is very much the outlier and to many fans, the notion of having to pick this game up in a six month window when the Crash N"Sane Trilogy or Spyro Reignited Trilogy will likely be available for years? Its ridiculous and quite frankly is the kind of company action that should never be encouraged. And that's a telling sign when Activision is the positive example of behavior towards a consumer.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Hot take: Nintendo management is morbidly idiotic for the most part.
It seems as though now that Nintendo has been in the gaming sphere for nearly 50 years, they want to make their IP hold legacy status and preserve them so that they will always be accessible to the public in the future and far future. It's part of the reason why Nintendo decided to sterilize Mario spin-offs like The Origami King and only have generic character designs; they must fit the precedent established by New Super Mario Bros. Wii because that is Mario at his peak brand-recognition status. Nintendo, as evidenced in a past quote by Miyamoto, wants to obtain the longevity of Disney and their properties with their own, so upholding brand recognition (which currently drives in a ton of money) will increase the chances of longevity. Additionally, the whole "Disney Vault" situation with their games, in Nintendo's eyes, likely makes them very sought-after, and they'll also have an aura of legacy surrounding them.

What I don't think Nintendo realizes currently is that Mario will sell extremely well based on the title alone, they just want to be on par with Disney so 90+ years down the road people will still be playing Nintendo games and enjoying all of their properties.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Hot take: Nintendo management is morbidly idiotic for the most part.

YES!

Been saying it for weeks, but even how they handled this collection is pretty abysmal. How the hell can you call this an "All-Stars" collection when your previous All-Stars is over TWO DECADES OLD and yet still does a better job of breathing new life into the games it celebrates than this one. AND has more content, AND isn't a limited release for no reason?! This is inferior in every way to the previous "All-Stars" project in every sense of the word and it just screams corporate greed. "Yes, because putting SM64 on the switch with the BARE MINIMUM of up-scaling is exactly what fans have in mind after years of seeing countless HD texture mods released online!"

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Now obviously we have no way of knowing, but it's possible that 3D Collection will only be available until March for $60, at which time it will be removed and then have all of the games therein posted on the eShop for something like $30 each. To allow people to still play them, but miss out on the promotional price that the Collection was.

Or they could just remove it completely forever and everyone that didn't buy it now will be ****ed. Who knows, really.

Edit: I do think that Galaxy 2 will show up at some point, so maybe this is when that will happen or something? I can't imagine them porting over everything under the sun besides Galaxy 2 and not do that eventually, but again, who knows.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So, how are all the doubters about the 3D Mario Collection feeling about future news rn?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Now obviously we have no way of knowing, but it's possible that 3D Collection will only be available until March for $60, at which time it will be removed and then have all of the games therein posted on the eShop for something like $30 each. To allow people to still play them, but miss out on the promotional price that the Collection was.

Or they could just remove it completely forever and everyone that didn't buy it now will be ****ed. Who knows, really.

Edit: I do think that Galaxy 2 will show up at some point, so maybe this is when that will happen or something? I can't imagine them porting over everything under the sun besides Galaxy 2 and not do that eventually, but again, who knows.
Be honest, in your heart of hearts, do you trust Nintendo to resist the urge to handle this in the most anti-consumer way possible?

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
If they’re not including Yoshi in the tournament, they’re definitely not including Geno. I’m actually surprised they included Dr Mario.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If they’re not including Yoshi in the tournament, they’re definitely not including Geno. I’m actually surprised they included Dr Mario.
Yoshi isn't classified as a Mario character in Smash, Dr. Mario is. Geno also is in his current form as a spirit. So there's a basis for Yoshi excluded, but there is no reason for Dr. Mario or Geno to be excluded, other than Geno either not releasing beforehand or being released too close to the start of the tournament.

D

Deleted member

I’m surprised Yoshi is excluded regardless. At the end of the day his strongest ties is with the super Mario series. Bad call on their part if Yoshi is indeed excluded.
Yoshi has had his own icon and victory music since Smash 64. His moves and general feel are based on Yoshi's Island and more specifically, Yoshi's Story, and "Yoshi" is very much now its own franchise, as a spinoff from Mario - I think that might unfortunately be a reason we see a lot less of him being Mario's car nowadays. It's not surprising at all that he would be excluded from a Mario character locked tournament.

a random user

Smash Journeyman

at bare minimum i expect to see mario 64 on snes online. kind of hope that GameCube games will be added at some point for sunshine(and other games i was to young to buy at the time) but given how nintiendo refuses to ever rerelease them i doubt it
edit: galaxy 2 isnt the only one missing 3d land from the 3ds is also not on switch in any way

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about it, the more I realize that 3D All Stars is such a bare minimum slapped together thing. The only scenario that makes sense to me in my brain is that it was meant to be a celebration/promotional limited release, like the 25th Anniv collection on Wii, and were the collection revealed during E3 or on Mario Day (whichever) in Alt-2020, it would have been paired with other massive announcements that would make it seem more like a digestif than the main course. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has implied as much, and I'm inclined to believe it at this point. There's no way this was meant to be a full retail swan song for 2020 kind of game, and it's really looking that way. This wasn't meant to be the "showstopper" is what I'm saying.

And I would not at all be surprised if the 3 games appear separately on the eShop after the limited release period is up. It's definitely something they would pull, maybe even reveal them appearing on there as digital only like... 3-6 mos after the limited run ends, as a sort of "Hey, look what we're giving you. Sorry you missed out, but take what you can get!"

EDIT: 3D World + is definitely not the "showstopper" either, but it feels like it got all the attention. According to Emily Rogers that additional content is extensive and arguments about compression aside the game is almost 3x the size of the Wii U release.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, the more I realize that 3D All Stars is such a bare minimum slapped together thing. The only scenario that makes sense to me in my brain is that it was meant to be a celebration/promotional limited release, like the 25th Anniv collection on Wii, and were the collection revealed during E3 or on Mario Day (whichever) in Alt-2020, it would have been paired with other massive announcements that would make it seem more like a digestif than the main course. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has implied as much, and I'm inclined to believe it at this point. There's no way this was meant to be a full retail swan song for 2020 kind of game, and it's really looking that way. This wasn't meant to be the "showstopper" is what I'm saying.

And I would not at all be surprised if the 3 games appear separately on the eShop after the limited release period is up. It's definitely something they would pull, maybe even reveal them appearing on there as digital only like... 3-6 mos after the limited run ends, as a sort of "Hey, look what we're giving you. Sorry you missed out, but take what you can get!"

EDIT: 3D World + is definitely not the "showstopper" either, but it feels like it got all the attention. According to Emily Rogers that additional content is extensive and arguments about compression aside the game is almost 3x the size of the Wii U release.
I don't buy it. Think about it this way, the anniversary celebrations end in March, (and I'm under the assumption the Anniversary was originally going to be announced at E3 and celebrated until December, but once it became clear stuff was getting pushed back like 3D World they just decided to wait 3 months until September and extend 3 months to March) and we already have 3D World releasing in February. Whatever other games are meant to coincide with this anniversary, we would have seen them get announced yesterday, I mean they had no problem announcing 3D World 5 months away. Even for Nintendo that does seem like a bit TOO much Mario over a period of time if they still have some unannounced. Not to mention, everything about this anniversary leaked months ago, aside from the smaller digital stuff/weirder releases. If there was some kind of other BIG Mario game meant to be out soon as well, I feel like it would be out in the open by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom