• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think Nintendo and Sakurai chose to keep Byleth a harder locked secret because they knew if that got out it would bring a salt storm across the Smash community which it technically did when Byleth was revealed. Imagine how much worse people would have reacted to that if Byleth was leaked beforehand.
Since Byleth is not third party, I suppose it’s much easier to keep secret. Nintendo has been really good keeping stuff secret not only Byleth, but ARMS. That might be the reason 7 could be another 1st party. Square also takes leaks seriously and probably a death sentence if you do try to leak. Funny enough, nobody has really said who is the next Smash character is yet because again, Nintendo has been good keeping Smash reveals secret lately. Maybe insiders know who the character is but wants to keep secret while others simply don’t know. We got some insiders casually talking about Mario RPG and Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yep, and the current date presumed for a release date for FP7 is on the week of the 14th if memory serves
if that’s the case they’d have to be revealed next week.

Maybe announcement for a Sakurai Presents on Monday and then the reveal Tuesday.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Didn’t they fire a ton of people after Sabi leaked the memo?
A lot of ambassadors lost their, well, ambassadorships. Don’t think anyone got outright fired inside the company though. Not as far as I’m aware.

Edit: wait a minute, Nintendo or Square? Nintendo didn’t fire anyone but Square could have.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to update the numbers that I had jotted down before Min Min was officially announced. Honestly, the averages didn't change too terribly much.

Smash Ultimate Amiibo Waves:

Wave 1: December 7, 2018 (second week)
Wave 2: February 15, 2019 (third week) (70 days between)
Wave 3: April 12, 2019 (second week) (56 days between)
Wave 4: July 19, 2019 (third week) (98 days between)
Wave 5: September 20, 2019 (third week) (63 days between)
Wave 6: November 15, 2019 (third week) (56 days between)
Wave 7: January 17, 2020 (third week) (53 days between) ----- 93 days to April 19th
Wave 8: June 12, 2020 (second week) (147 days between)
Wave 9: September 25, 2020 (fourth week) (105 days between)

Average: 72 days

DLC character release dates:
Plant- February 1, 2019 (first week)
Joker- April 17, 2019 (third week) (75 days between)
Hero- July 30, 2019 (fifth week) (74 days between)
Banjo – September 4, 2019 (first week) (66 days between)
Terry- November 6, 2019 (second week) (63 days between)
Byleth – January 28, 2020 (fifth week) (83 days)
Min Min- June 29, 2020 (fifth week) (153 days between)

Average: 73 days

DLC character announcement dates:
Joker – December 6, 2018 (second week)
Hero- June 11, 2019 (third week) (187 days between)
Banjo- June 11, 2019 (third week) (NA)
Terry- September 4, 2019 (first week) (85 days between)
Byleth- January 16, 2020 (third week) (134 days between)
Min Min - June 22, 2020 (fourth week)(158 days between)
Average: 94 days

Days Between Amiibo Wave and Character Release

Plant: 14 days
Joker: 5 days
Hero: 11 days
Banjo: 16 days
Terry: 9 days
Byleth: 11 days
Min Min: 17 days

Average: 12

So, the dates we get from plugging in these averages are:

September 10th
September 13th
September 24th

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So I guess no event this week?

Also, I just started the game up and checked the spirit board as usual. Olivia is one of the picks. They already added that spirit evemt to the group?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So I guess no event this week?

Also, I just started the game up and checked the spirit board as usual. Olivia is one of the picks. They already added that spirit evemt to the group?
If you got any of the event spirits (like Olivia) during the event, they'll be added to the regular rotation. At this point, the only spirits that aren't in regular rotation are the Octopath Traveler and Origami King spirits, and that's only if you missed those events. (or any of those individual spirits)

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
A lot of ambassadors lost their, well, ambassadorships. Don’t think anyone got outright fired inside the company though. Not as far as I’m aware.

Edit: wait a minute, Nintendo or Square? Nintendo didn’t fire anyone but Square could have.
Yeah I can confirm Nintendo did get rid of the ambassador program, and while not 100% confirmed, my NoA guy highly believes it could be at least partially because of leakers in general, sabi obviously playing a big part of it, as there was definitely some leak fluctuations somewhere, they probably thought the ambassadors were it or actually found out that they were. Still, my NoA guy isn't completely fired, just lost his ambassadorship and obviously some good connections (not all of them).

D

Deleted member

Im talking about Square

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With the Min Min predictive models I got:

June 20 (Sat), 23 (Tues), 29 (Mon)

With the 7 (Geno) predictive models I got:

September 10 (Thurs), 13 (Sun), 24 (Thurs)

Min Min's announcement was the 22nd and release on the 29th. Announcements don't happen on the weekends so the 20th was adjusted to the 22nd. If we were to apply this to Geno, the 13th becomes the 14th. So, interestingly enough, with adjustments to Min Min's model it heavily implied the 22nd or 23rd while with Geno it implies the 10th or the 14th.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
They’re making Mario 35th anniversary Smash medals!?!

Hmmm... sure seems interesting they would want to heavily tie Mario’s 35th anniversary to Smash like this.
But you missed the point. Look at the characters they listed for the tournament. Notice who is missing? And is this the definitive list??

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
But you missed the point. Look at the characters they listed for the tournament. Notice who is missing? And is this the definitive list??
I mean, maybe. Obviously if the next Smash character is from Mario and they come out before this tournament, they wouldn’t at all include them or even tease them on this promotional image.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I mean it could be, but why on Earth would they leave a blank spot to indicate that a character is missing?

Other than that, No Yoshi, DK, Diddy and Wario is sad to see, but I get it I guess?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wouldn't think too much into it and focus more on the fact that they're putting so much importance in this tournament that they're giving out medals to begin with.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
With the Min Min predictive models I got:

June 20 (Sat), 23 (Tues), 29 (Mon)

With the 7 (Geno) predictive models I got:

September 10 (Thurs), 13 (Sun), 24 (Thurs)

Min Min's announcement was the 22nd and release on the 29th. Announcements don't happen on the weekends so the 20th was adjusted to the 22nd. If we were to apply this to Geno, the 13th becomes the 14th. So, interestingly enough, with adjustments to Min Min's model it heavily implied the 22nd or 23rd while with Geno it implies the 10th or the 14th.
So there's a possibillity we could get our boi announced even before 3D All Star release???? oof I will be very busy this days
Yoshi, Wario or Dk?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yoshi, DK and Wario not being in this event doesn't bother me because, well, I don't play the tournament events, and neither do I care about them. Yeah, they're Mario characters, but they do have their own franchises (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land and WarioWare) so I can see why they were left out.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
After thinking about it for a bit, I remembered something. I've seen quite a few people mention the fact that Nintendo took down a Battle Royale-style Mario fan-game a while ago, presumably because of the fact that Nintendo has been developing their own Mario Battle-Royale game with Super Mario 35. However, another thing crossed my mind that I remembered got taken down that could have coincided with one of the announcements we got today, that I am assuming most of you forgot about.

Do you all remember that Super Mario 64 PC port? That port was essentially Super Mario 64 up-scaled in to HD to be made playable on your PC. Nintendo took down that mod a few days after it was discovered. And obviously today, Nintendo announces the 3D Mario Collection where they included Super Mario 64 with an HD up-scaling. Going off of this, their is a very strong possibility that Nintendo took the PC port down because of the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection that includes Super Mario 64 in the package, seeing as how Nintendo has done EXACTLY what that PC port did.

The reason I bring this up is because the PC port and the battle royale Mario fan-game takedowns could be yet another thing in favor of the Legacy XP \ Beware The Forest's Mushrooms takedowns, and this could be even more evidence in favor of our boi. At this point, I 100% believe these takedowns mean something and they have taken down too many things for it to be a coincidence.

And don't forget, Nintendo also copyrighted MEGALOVANIA before we got that track in Smash, as well as a fan-made project for an HD remake of Metroid 2 before Nintendo announced Samus Returns for 3DS. Their are multiple past instances of Nintendo takedowns meaning something for future announcements and this Mario Direct has further proved that. I find it ironic how each Nintendo announcement unironically increases Geno's chances. We must wait and see, but I have no doubt in my mind that these Nintendo takedowns are huge indicators for whats to come in the future, and its extremely likely that the Legacy XP and BTFM takedowns are because Geno is going to be coming to Smash.

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
ter thinking about it for a bit, I remembered something. I've seen quite a few people mention the fact that Nintendo took down a Battle Royale-style Mario fan-game a while ago, presumably because of the fact that Nintendo has been developing their own Mario Battle-Royale game with Super Mario 35. However, another thing crossed my mind that I remembered got taken down that could have coincided with one of the announcements we got today, that I am assuming most of you forgot about.

Do you all remember that Super Mario 64 PC port? That port was essentially Super Mario 64 up-scaled in to HD to be made playable on your PC. Nintendo took down that mod a few days after it was discovered. And obviously today, Nintendo announces the 3D Mario Collection where they included Super Mario 64 with an HD up-scaling. Going off of this, their is a very strong possibility that Nintendo took the PC port down because of the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection that includes Super Mario 64 in the package, seeing as how Nintendo has done EXACTLY what that PC port did.

The reason I bring this up is because the PC port and the battle royale Mario fan-game takedowns could be yet another thing in favor of the Legacy XP \ Beware The Forest's Mushrooms takedowns, and this could be even more evidence in favor of our boi. At this point, I 100% believe these takedowns mean something and they have taken down too many things for it to be a coincidence.
Super Mario Royale was killed two years ago. Even before Tetris 99, or Akira the company who developed it, was on Nintendo's radar. Super Mario 64 PC is, technically, illegal distribution of trade secrets. If Sonic fans did something similar with Sonic Colors, Sega would HAVE to kill it too. This is an IP protection thing. This is quite the bit of straw grasping.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
And don't forget, Nintendo also copyrighted MEGALOVANIA before we got that track in Smash, as well as a fan-made project for an HD remake of Metroid 2 before Nintendo announced Samus Returns for 3DS. Their are multiple past instances of Nintendo takedowns meaning something for future announcements and this Mario Direct has further proved that. I find it ironic how each Nintendo announcement unironically increases Geno's chances. We must wait and see, but I have no doubt in my mind that these Nintendo takedowns are huge indicators for whats to come in the future, and its extremely likely that the Legacy XP and BTFM takedowns are because Geno is going to be coming to Smash.
Just one question. I’ve heard plenty of times the claims that both Banjo-Kazooie music and Megalovania got copyrighted off YouTube by Nintendo. But is there any prove to that happening? I don’t deny it (especially if the uploads pretended to be for Smash, which is what I assume caught Nintendo’s eye in the first place), but I would just like to see prove of those videos getting claimed.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I'm with you that Geno is going to be playable but don't be delusional. They deliberately chose not to include characters that even regularly appear in the other spin-off games, for whatever purity purposes they deign that very recently we became very much aware of thanks to Paper Mario. It makes zero sense to not even include Yoshi but make sure that Plant and Dr Mario are listed here.

Yes, they obviously would not include a blank if there was another character coming. I get that. However my point is that we cannot use this tournament as a basis of evidence for Geno coming. It really wouldn't make sense to include Geno down the line in this tournament, unannounced now, but also not include Yoshi in this initial lineup, or the other characters for that matter.

It's very likely that Geno may just be treated as his own character from his own series as well and we even predicted that a long time ago. But I'm going to say it again: I think this tweet shows us that we should not put too much faith in that tournament. I think it's just a cross promotional thing and there's a really nothing else there to infer. I don't even think the medallions immediately point to a DLC character, especially if we're getting sneakers and things like that. It's just another promotional item to tie into the anniversary.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But in this case there are gaping absences that would indicate we shouldn't rely on this as evidence.

EDIT: I want to clarify my points a bit. I just find it very strange that they would stick to strictly the core Mario characters in this tweet as being the characters that represent the tournament. Most people would consider a character like Yoshi or DK a Mario character, but they are being very limiting in who is defined as a Mario character as going strictly off the series logo.

There are a few different scenarios that I see. Maybe the spin-off characters like Yoshi are a part of this tournament and they just weren't included in this tweet. The other option is that our boy is not part of the Mario series in smash and instead has his own logo, therefore making him not a Mario character. We could also see him be revealed and he's in the tournament after all, which is a total possibility and they just didn't mark him here because that would be leaking information early. Or maybe he doesn't come at all. Or the tournament is LITERALLY just the Mario series characters and it has no bearing on anything. But nothing here indicates that he is coming or he is not coming. THAT is my ultimate point. The tournament is literally a cross promotion and nothing else

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I wouldn't think too much into it and focus more on the fact that they're putting so much importance in this tournament that they're giving out medals to begin with.
Yeah, Nintendo is taking REALLY serious on the Mario 35th Anniversary, for example. Just look this, even it is on Spanish:
eshopmario.jpg

The actual console shop is based on Mario!!!. Nintendo don't even care for the people who don't like Mario. All what they are making is Mario related, remember mid 2019 when Nintendo was taking their partnership with Microsoft seriously? That bring us Banjo, I think could be the same thing with Geno

After thinking about it for a bit, I remembered something. I've seen quite a few people mention the fact that Nintendo took down a Battle Royale-style Mario fan-game a while ago, presumably because of the fact that Nintendo has been developing their own Mario Battle-Royale game with Super Mario 35. However, another thing crossed my mind that I remembered got taken down that could have coincided with one of the announcements we got today, that I am assuming most of you forgot about.

OHHHH, that's huge. The Forest Maze, Fight against an Armed Boss and the Legacy XP takedowns are bigger deals now!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This is quite the bit of straw grasping.
Oh yeah I know I'm grasping at straws here. I'm just talking about it because its fun to talk about. I know this probably means nothing, but I bring it up just in CASE this happens to mean something in the future.

Just one question. I’ve heard plenty of times the claims that both Banjo-Kazooie music and Megalovania got copyrighted off YouTube by Nintendo. But is there any prove to that happening? I don’t deny it (especially if the uploads pretended to be for Smash, which is what I assume caught Nintendo’s eye in the first place), but I would just like to see prove of those videos getting claimed.
Here is a PapaGenos video going over the BTFM takedowns. In that video, he included screencaps of MEGALOVANIA getting taken down as well. I don't know where people get that Banjo music was taken down by Nintendo, but I have went with the majority on that one.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Super Mario Royale was killed two years ago. Even before Tetris 99, or Akira the company who developed it, was on Nintendo's radar. Super Mario 64 PC is, technically, illegal distribution of trade secrets. If Sonic fans did something similar with Sonic Colors, Sega would HAVE to kill it too. This is an IP protection thing. This is quite the bit of straw grasping.
Battle Royale was killed last year

I'll grant you that Mario 64 PC Port does fall under technically illegal stuff, but everything else lines up

Samus Return Fan Remake killed = Samus Returns 3DS
Super Mario Battle Royale killed = Mario 35
Megalovania copyright stricken by Nintendo = Sans Mii Fighter with music track

Nintendo lately seems to only kill things that align with something they're doing. Legacy XP was a dormant modpack that was sitting there collecting dust that only got attention because Nintendo decided to bring out the flyswatter. The reason this stands out is because well... Project + is currently the biggest and most hyped up Project M pack that JUST came out... and yet it's still up

Project Slippi, a reverse engineering of Nintendo's IP to retroactively add online capabilities that more or less require ROMS to even play, is stil standing...

So why is it those two are still standing when a mostly dead modpack gets stomped out, who's only claim to fame was featuring Geno as it's feature presentation?

1599186132407.png

I feel like after three examples of the takedowns leading to something, it's a little hard to ignore

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Battle Royale was killed last year

I'll grant you that Mario 64 PC Port does fall under technically illegal stuff, but everything else lines up

Samus Return Fan Remake killed = Samus Returns 3DS
Super Mario Battle Royale killed = Mario 35
Megalovania copyright stricken by Nintendo = Sans Mii Fighter with music track

Nintendo lately seems to only kill things that align with something they're doing. Legacy XP was a dormant modpack that was sitting there collecting dust that only got attention because Nintendo decided to bring out the flyswatter. The reason this stands out is because well... Project + is currently the biggest and most hyped up Project M pack that JUST came out... and yet it's still up

Project Slippi, a reverse engineering of Nintendo's IP to retroactively add online capabilities that more or less require ROMS to even play, is stil standing...

So why is it those two are still standing when a mostly dead modpack gets stomped out, who's only claim to fame was featuring Geno as it's feature presentation?

View attachment 284464

I feel like after three examples of the takedowns leading to something, it's a little hard to ignore
Something tells me there are other examples from the past few years too but I can't think of any despite having this nagging feeling there are definitely more that I remember hearing about. I know a lot of the Pokemon games got knocked down, but that may just be because it tarnishes the brand. Was Mother 4 DMCA'D or did they change the name to avoid it outright?

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Something tells me there are other examples from the past few years too but I can't think of any despite having this nagging feeling there are definitely more that I remember hearing about. I know a lot of the Pokemon games got knocked down, but that may just be because it tarnishes the brand. Was Mother 4 DMCA'D or did they change the name to avoid it outright?
No, they changed it of their own volition and wanted it to be its own thing

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Enigma735 Enigma735 I listened to this track ever since it was made and let me tell you, I was wondering where it went.
It is back now, but if you look through, people remember this track getting taken down.
Oh interesting. Its kinda odd that they took this track down even though it never ended up in Smash but it could be possible that this track may have been planned to get included at one point.

The long list of strange Nintendo takedowns continue. ;)

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Decided to update the numbers that I had jotted down before Min Min was officially announced. Honestly, the averages didn't change too terribly much.

Smash Ultimate Amiibo Waves:

Wave 1: December 7, 2018 (second week)
Wave 2: February 15, 2019 (third week) (70 days between)
Wave 3: April 12, 2019 (second week) (56 days between)
Wave 4: July 19, 2019 (third week) (98 days between)
Wave 5: September 20, 2019 (third week) (63 days between)
Wave 6: November 15, 2019 (third week) (56 days between)
Wave 7: January 17, 2020 (third week) (53 days between) ----- 93 days to April 19th
Wave 8: June 12, 2020 (second week) (147 days between)
Wave 9: September 25, 2020 (fourth week) (105 days between)

Average: 72 days

DLC character release dates:
Plant- February 1, 2019 (first week)
Joker- April 17, 2019 (third week) (75 days between)
Hero- July 30, 2019 (fifth week) (74 days between)
Banjo – September 4, 2019 (first week) (66 days between)
Terry- November 6, 2019 (second week) (63 days between)
Byleth – January 28, 2020 (fifth week) (83 days)
Min Min- June 29, 2020 (fifth week) (153 days between)

Average: 73 days

DLC character announcement dates:
Joker – December 6, 2018 (second week)
Hero- June 11, 2019 (third week) (187 days between)
Banjo- June 11, 2019 (third week) (NA)
Terry- September 4, 2019 (first week) (85 days between)
Byleth- January 16, 2020 (third week) (134 days between)
Min Min - June 22, 2020 (fourth week)(158 days between)
Average: 94 days

Days Between Amiibo Wave and Character Release

Plant: 14 days
Joker: 5 days
Hero: 11 days
Banjo: 16 days
Terry: 9 days
Byleth: 11 days
Min Min: 17 days

Average: 12

So, the dates we get from plugging in these averages are:

September 10th
September 13th
September 24th
I think we might get the announcement for a presentation onthe 13th, the reveal the 14th or 15th and the character drop on the 24th.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Why can't we see the takedown of SSB Legacy XP as just a regular copyright takedown and not because Geno is advertised on it?

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Here is a PapaGenos video going over the BTFM takedowns. In that video, he included screencaps of MEGALOVANIA getting taken down as well. I don't know where people get that Banjo music was taken down by Nintendo, but I have went with the majority on that one.

Sorry, but can you give a timestamp? I kinda skimmed through most of the video and couldn’t find it. I seem to be oddly bad at finding this, considering I went back to this video a couple weeks ago to grab screenshots of the Mario RPG songs getting claimed.

Since the music claims are relevant again, I’ll link back to my post last month regarding the copyright claims on BrawlBRST (and GilvaSunner) as someone who witnessed both happen.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3167#post-24049500

As one other thing, BrawlBRST did leave a comment on that PapaGenos video (which is gone now cause the channel is terminated) trying to explain what they thought of the situation. And I remember they said something about the copyright claims by Nintendo being done manually. Which says that if the claims on SMRPG mean nothing, someone at Nintendo had to screw up in claiming them, not a bot seeing the name Mario and taking it down. Though I can’t be bothered to go into the Wayback Machine right now to try and find it.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Sorry, but can you give a timestamp? I kinda skimmed through most of the video and couldn’t find it. I seem to be oddly bad at finding this, considering I went back to this video a couple weeks ago to grab screenshots of the Mario RPG songs getting claimed.

Since the music claims are relevant again, I’ll link back to my post last month regarding the copyright claims on BrawlBRST (and GilvaSunner) as someone who witnessed both happen.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3167#post-24049500

As one other thing, BrawlBRST did leave a comment on that PapaGenos video (which is gone now cause the channel is terminated) trying to explain what they thought of the situation. And I remember they said something about the copyright claims by Nintendo being done manually. Which says that if the claims on SMRPG mean nothing, someone at Nintendo had to screw up in claiming them, not a bot seeing the name Mario and taking it down. Though I can’t be bothered to go into the Wayback Machine right now to try and find it.
I could have swore Papa included a screencap of MEGALOVANIA getting taken down, but I guess not, unless it was from a different video.

However, I do remember seeing a screencap somewhere on the internet of MEGALOVANIA getting taken down, and I will post it when I do find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom