• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think Crash may be the Fall Direct because isn't Crash 4 due out in early October? That would be a hell of a way to advertise it.
crash 4 is out for ps4/xbox on October 2, no switch release announced, but the crash and spyro trilogy, were released on switch 1 year after other consoles, so the same is expected here

D

Deleted member

Throw out a pokeball and use Charizard tell it to Flamethrower that ************.

burn the cockroach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I still think it'll probably be just 1 character revealed. Don't think it'll be a hint or anything, just a straight up reveal.
I'm starting to think Crash may be the Fall Direct because isn't Crash 4 due out in early October? That would be a hell of a way to advertise it.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a traditional September direct, but I wouldn't really rule out either. I think if there is a Fall direct it'll be closer to October or late September. If Crash gets into Smash it would be a fitting place to add him around then, but I would like to remind everyone that Hero was announced in June and released in July, while Dragon Quest 11 came out in late September. They have a questionable track record of timing character reveals with major releases/reveals. The only one I can think of is Byleth with FE DLC but that's first party, but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

I guess Joker could count because Persona Q2 was released like a week before Game Awards in Japan. But even then, I'm pretty sure Joker wasn't originally planned to be shown there anyways, so it was probably coincidental more than anything. Personally I'm a bit more split on Crash's chances compared to most other people, but in my opinion I think that Monday direct would be his best shot of getting shown off in the "nearish" future because it would be an E3 reveal and Crash screams "E3" to me, I expect 8 to be a niche character but that's my gut feeling.

Right now I'd say Crash is one of the most likely characters to get added, but if he isn't shown off on Monday; I think my confidence in him would drop a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get added (he'd still be likely but closer to a 50/50 for me).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
crash 4 is out for ps4/xbox on October 2, no switch release announced, but the crash and spyro trilogy, were released on switch 1 year after other consoles, so the same is expected here
On that note, I guess it's in Activision's hands. Either way, it implies Crash is a second half of Season 2 character, not first I guess...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
On that note, I guess it's in Activision's hands. Either way, it implies Crash is a second half of Season 2 character, not first I guess...
Which has ALWAYS made more sense based on the idea/precedent that third parties already involved in Smash are easier to negotiate with compared to entirely new companies, and therefore will get things finalized and rolling in the development pipeline faster. We saw it in Smash 4 with Ryu, and in Pass 1 with Joker/Hero.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Those are old directs that were deleted, nothing new. I think it was around the time directs started to be a thing too. New directs would pop up near the top.
Oh, okay. My bad. Still, why would they want to delete Directs?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Oh, okay. My bad. Still, why would they want to delete Directs?
I dunno, maybe they thought the "direct" format has changed significantly since then; so it's not "accurate" to give them a Nintendo direct title. That's just a guess though, I don't really remember what those directs were like. Who really knows with Nintendo though.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still Crash would definitely sell the pass to people still on the fence after the first third. Master Chief probably could move the sales just for the novelty factor

Geno Boost

Smash Master

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Yoooo I just finished watching GL for the first time... sickest anime ever, it’s going to stay with me forever. Legit rocked my universe. Did you do that art you used for the post?!!

I could see GENO rocking some glasses like Kamina’s but in the shape of a Star haha. It’d be sick if you did another facing forward rocking the star shades or making a logo for GENO akin to team gurren’s!
Sorry for the late reply, but no, I didn’t. I wish I was that talented, haha. The source is here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Which has ALWAYS made more sense based on the idea/precedent that third parties already involved in Smash are easier to negotiate with compared to entirely new companies, and therefore will get things finalized and rolling in the development pipeline faster. We saw it in Smash 4 with Ryu, and in Pass 1 with Joker/Hero.
That's... Actually one of my talking points and why I predicted the order that I did back in January...

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2391#post-23826981

Now I'm just embarrassed that I made an exception for Crash...

Smash 4: Pokemon Company, Ape, Intelligent Systems, Capcom, Square Enix, Intelligent Systems (promotional character), SEGA/Platinum

Fighter's Pass: Nintendo, SEGA/Atlus, Square Enix/Armor Project, RARE/Microsoft, SNK, Nintendo/Tecmo (promotional character)

Hoisted by my own petard...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
That's... Actually one of my talking points and why I predicted the order that I did back in January...

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2391#post-23826981

Now I'm just embarrassed that I made an exception for Crash...

Smash 4: Pokemon Company, Ape, Intelligent Systems, Capcom, Square Enix, Intelligent Systems (promotional character), SEGA/Platinum

Fighter's Pass: Nintendo, SEGA/Atlus, Square Enix/Armor Project, RARE/Microsoft, SNK, Nintendo/Tecmo (promotional character)

Hoisted by my own petard...
That's kinda why I've always been a little confused about you saying Crash is 8 for months. It doesn't really line up with past precedent. You can argue Crash was first heard around last E3, but it's like, he's a big western character and everything Activision touches gets leaked, who knows how long it actually took to pan out if he is indeed in. At the same time though, if we switch off him being 8 then that begs the question of who it is.

If 7 is another Nintendo character (big if) then 8 is probably Geno.

If Geno IS 7, then 8 is most likely a semi-big more mainstream-ish character from a third party already in Smash. I know you might be thinking it has to be someone huge to counteract Geno being a fan favorite, but like, Hero was the counterpart to Banjo last year, someone who's really only huge in Japan. I don't think it's Chief, if it was I think we'd know by now, I feel like it's alot harder to keep western characters underwraps. It could be Lloyd, but my confidence in another Namco rep is all over the place right now since the Heihachi costume came back without a Namco character. Dante though? He fits that role, and honestly I was considering a Geno/Dante E3 a few months ago when all that stuff came up around 5 (that people had heard specifically about him). I know there's some stuff pointing to Capcom coming last apparently, but like, wasn't there even some thing where someone said they saw his model back then? He could easily be 8 especially now.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
They're not gonna drop a new character in a shadowdropped mini-direct.

Be prepped for nothing or "from the ____ series!"
By that logic they're not going to present anything worthwhile in a shadowdropped mini, in which case what's the point?

7NATOR

Smash Master
That's kinda why I've always been a little confused about you saying Crash is 8 for months. It doesn't really line up with past precedent. You can argue Crash was first heard around last E3, but it's like, he's a big western character and everything Activision touches gets leaked, who knows how long it actually took to pan out if he is indeed in. At the same time though, if we switch off him being 8 then that begs the question of who it is.

If 7 is another Nintendo character (big if) then 8 is probably Geno.

If Geno IS 7, then 8 is most likely a semi-big more mainstream-ish character from a third party already in Smash. I know you might be thinking it has to be someone huge to counteract Geno being a fan favorite, but like, Hero was the counterpart to Banjo last year, someone who's really only huge in Japan. I don't think it's Chief, if it was I think we'd know by now, I feel like it's alot harder to keep western characters underwraps. It could be Lloyd, but my confidence in another Namco rep is all over the place right now since the Heihachi costume came back without a Namco character. Dante though? He fits that role, and honestly I was considering a Geno/Dante E3 a few months ago when all that stuff came up around 5 (that people had heard specifically about him). I know there's some stuff pointing to Capcom coming last apparently, but like, wasn't there even some thing where someone said they saw his model back then? He could easily be 8 especially now.
To be fair, on the Subject of Chief, I had a theory that While negotating for one character (Banjo), they could have talked and started potential plans on another (Chief).

And I remember that Model Rumor from back then as well.

If Activision has Kept Crash from being leaked this whole time I gotta commend them. Either they have improved their game that much for Smash, or perhaps Crash is a Mii Costume, which would mean less people to consider for rumors

QQS

Smash Lord
QQS QQS didn't you get one of these recently?
Mine is prettier :3

I requested it to a girl who does Handmade Dolls here where I live: Santiago, Chile. She works so good and the doll is so well made. Here it is, I really love it! I got lucky because I met her via other Chilean user who posted the message here ( MarcelinoBros92 MarcelinoBros92 ). Lucky for me she is from where I live, so I requested one instantly. It’s so well detailed that people on Twitter thought that it was official merchandising.

0E0457AD-60F0-4EDC-AEA4-5D86D7D33606.jpeg

EC1D96B9-AA53-4E48-9ECB-E24D99B5C86B.jpeg

23C4425A-686C-4735-AC21-1C807F85D961.jpeg

You can find her Instagram on: tienda_panda_freak

Best wishes to all!

D

Deleted member

Right now I'd say Crash is one of the most likely characters to get added, but if he isn't shown off on Monday; I think my confidence in him would drop a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get added (he'd still be likely but closer to a 50/50 for me).
I'm still going to be confident in Crash if he isn't shown at all, because there will still be 4 spots left. I don't expect him to be last, of course, but I do think if he's actually in, he'll be 8 or 9.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, by my own logic, if Crash is coming he's probably last because of all my predictions he's literally the only one that's from a company technically not in Smash...

View attachment 279102

Sorry Crash fans...
See, Crash being last still doesn't make sense either though. Like we've been over many times, he's been heard since last E3, there's been a lot of stuff pointing towards him over the last year, so I don't think he's last. But it doesn't really make any sense for the rest of the characters you think are in to be last either. Quite a conundrum.

I haven't actually revamped my predictions since April so I think I'm actually going to swap some stuff based on things that have happened since. (great idea to do this right before another reveal, really nice timing there brain).

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Crash would probably be 9 or 10 at the latest. Geno's most likely 7 given the amiibo releases in the fall and the two Square spirit events on top of all the coincidences/evidence piled in his favor

vivala

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice if someone backing the direct could give more clues about Smash. I think the only thing I've seen in regards to content is Mario, presumably the remasters.

QQS

Smash Lord
E5B6EDFE-8D04-47AD-95C2-03FB3D9E67A1.jpeg

Stock Icons by FoursideKM on Twitter!

I see Geno and Crash double reveal here. Hope to see then Dixie, Rayman and Eggman. Also a Premium of The Knight would be epic, tiny swordfighter.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We must remember that we can't rely on leakers for information regarding Smash character reveals. Nintendo's done an excellent job of keeping their identities secret since Byleth, and if Geno is coming, we'll find out on Monday or later.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I just don't see a pass where all 3 of Geno, Crash, and Master Chief happen because they're all primarily Western picks, and as precedence shows Nintendo leans more towards Japanese characters/requests comparatively to Western ones.

Base Game:
- Inkling (Popular everywhere)
- Daisy (Popular everywhere)
- Ridley (Popular primarily in the West, had a small dedicated Japanese following but nothing huge)
- Simon (popular everywhere)
- Richter (mostly popular in Japan)
- K. Rool (popular in everywhere)
- Isabelle (popular everywhere)
- Ken (popular everywhere)
- Incineroar (more popular in Japan compared to the West in terms of a Pokemon character)

DLC:
- Piranha Plant (??? everywhere)
- Joker (more popular in Japan, but decently popular in the West)
- Hero (more popular in Japan)
- Banjo (more popular in the West)
- Terry (more popular in Japan)
- Byleth (more popular in Japan, but decently popular in the West) (Outside of Smash)

- Min-Min (Within the ARMS niche she is the most popular worldwide, but Ninjara is arguably more popular in Japan) (as an ARMS rep, popular worldwide)

And I don't see how the trend will shift back to taking out arguably 3 of the most popular Western picks in the same pass.
- Geno (Mostly popular in the West, has a decently dedicated Japanese following too)
- Master Chief (Popular in the West)
- Crash (Mostly popular in the West, has a dedicated Japanese following)

At most I could see 1-2 "Western oriented" Smash picks (likely Geno and/or Crash/Minecraft Steve) but I can't see anything more than that. I think Nintendo has made it clear both now and back in Smash 4, that they pay more attention towards Japanese oriented fan requests/3rd party series comparatively to Western ones. And while we may me running out of massive "AAA" Japanese franchises to add to Smash, there are still a lot of "A" or "AA" franchises like Fatal Fury that have a lot of legacy and are fairly popular in Japan too, and have 0 representation in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i dont think we will be able get more than 1 playable western character in this fighter pack 2 the main audience is mostly from japan
Actually, a majority of Smash players come from the States or North America to be more accurate. Japan is Nintendo's home country, but the majority of Nintendo fans are in North America.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This. We shouldn't underestimate Western popularity for character picks
Another reason for Terry's inclusion was also the fact Fatal Fury/King of Fighters is what inspired Smash based on gameplay such as shield attacks. Kinda surprising it took Terry this long to get in.

Last edited:

JayZoob

Smash Rookie
Like others I do find it kinda weird to include a smash reveal in a mini direct. One potential way around this I feel is possible is in the direct they announce a Sakurai Presents for later in the week or next week that will include the fighter. I do truly believe 7 is coming soon regardless if they are in the mini or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom