• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
Actually, a majority of Smash players come from the States or North America to be more accurate. Japan is Nintendo's home country, but the majority of Nintendo fans are in North America.
Probably you have more fans in USA cause it’s a bigger country. But don’t forget Brazil, Argentina and my country: Chile. You have all stuff from Nintendo here also. Magazines, stores, toys, amiibo, games, clothes, all consoles, stores everywhere. At least in big cities like Santiago, which is the capital.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I feel like Sakurai made it relatively clear that Nintendo/the team/he was wary of working with Western Developers because of the fact that negotiations were apparently more difficult than Japanese companies, but everything with Rare went super smoothly according to him. It's blatantly clear at this point that pretty much every company under the sun has indeed been approaching Nintendo about Smash Ultimate over the past several years, including western ones. I mean seriously, we just got a Vault Boy mii costume. There's no way in hell we go 5 more characters without atleast one third-party from a western company, I can't see it. Two is more questionable but if it's one from a company Nintendo has already worked with on Smash like Microsoft? Seems a bit more feasible doesn't it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like Sakurai made it relatively clear that Nintendo/the team/he was wary of working with Western Developers because of the fact that negotiations were apparently more difficult than Japanese companies, but everything with Rare went super smoothly according to him. It's blatantly clear at this point that pretty much every company under the sun has indeed been approaching Nintendo about Smash Ultimate over the past several years, including western ones. I mean seriously, we just got a Vault Boy mii costume. There's no way in hell we go 5 more characters without atleast one third-party from a western company, I can't see it. Two is more questionable but if it's one from a company Nintendo has already worked with on Smash like Microsoft? Seems a bit more feasible doesn't it.
Yep. Since Nintendo has already worked with Microsoft in getting Banjo & Kazooie in, then getting Master Chief in should be no biggie. I'm sure Phil Spencer would be more than happy to allow Master Chief in Smash.

MattX20

Smash Hero
From a marketing/timing perspective, Master Chief would be the more prioritized choice. Plus, he's the mascot for Xbox as a whole. Minecraft is still a recent acquisition for Microsoft comparatively speaking and I imagine Microsoft would like to expand the audience for Halo more beyond Xbox and PC gaming. Minecraft is everywhere.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Exactly. It's also important to note that Blizzard/Activision has been chummy with Nintendo for ages. Did you know that Activision actually wanted Skylanders to be a Nintendo exclusive but Nintendo didn't really like the idea at the time and turned them down? In a way, it was Activision that inspired Amiibo to begin with.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
So in hindsight, has Nintendo ever announced an actual direct on Sunday before or is this something that we should bet on Monday revealing the Direct?

MattX20

Smash Hero
So in hindsight, has Nintendo ever announced an actual direct on Sunday before or is this something that we should bet on Monday revealing the Direct?
Going by what most are saying, it's going to be a shadowdropped direct

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It looks great. So would you guys play a SMRPG remake with...
Let me stop you right there. There's no way I wouldn't play an SMRPG remake. I'd play a SMRPG remake if everyone and everything in the game was made of dog turds. I'd play a SMRPG remake if I had to wear pumpkins as shoes the rest of my life. I'd play a SMRPG remake if the only way to save the game was to go outside naked and somersault into incoming traffic. The style is irrelevant; the answer is yes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I kind of wonder if both Master Chief and Steve could get in. Yes Microsoft owns Mojang, but they let them pretty much handle everything without their involvement (besides maybe some Microsoft employees went over to join their studio and they got a bigger budget, but no corporate controlling or whatever).

Though I think we could get either if not (ignoring my Steve bias): Master Chief to hopefully get Japan to play Halo and to further advertise the XBox (or Xcloud or whatever they mostly care about now idk), and Steve because Minecraft is highly popular over there too (+ there are people there who want Steve in Smash as well like over here) making it to the top of the eShop and stuff like elsewhere, it’s achieved its own huge legacy like other games, and it got Nintendo and Microsoft to work together in the first place (of course I guess that means Microsoft is still involved with at least some business stuff even though they let Mojang do everything and so my idea in my first paragraph is likely dead).

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Don't forget Terry and his franchise is really popular in Latin America.
Yeah, but he wasn't a hugely requested character in general. Terry just got in without any significant push, more likely due to SNK's legacy as a fighting game company rather than his Latin America popularity (Terry was kinda like Joker in the way he "blindsided" everyone because no one in the Smash community expected them to get in).

His popularity in certain countries definitely helped him, but he was still likely added due to his Japanese legacy that continues to this day.

Yeah, Sakurai has made it clear that he wasn't working with Western companies due to the harder time coordinating, so we can expect some more Western characters/companies to get added; but even then it took Banjo (who arguably had the most vocal fan support of any character at his peak), for Sakurai to work with Microsoft. However, at the same time Sakurai has also said in the past he's happy to use Smash as a platform to raise awareness of lesser known Japanese IP's worldwide as well, even if said IP's are niche outside of their own dedicated fan base, kind of like Fatal Fury/Bayonetta. So to me it sounds like he still prefers working with Japanese IP comparatively to most Western ones.

Both Crash and Master Chief have their own problems in their own ways. Crash would be a completely new 3rd party and just because Microsoft worked well with Sakurai, doesn't mean that Activision will too. He also doesn't have the extreme vocal support that convinced Microsoft and Nintendo to work together. It doesn't help that Crash is decently niche in Japan nowadays too. On the other hand, Chief is with Microsoft which works in favor of him. However, unlike Crash, Chief doesn't really have the Japanese following of Crash, and he never was as big as Crash in Japan in his prime. Minecraft Steve oddly works well in terms of a Western character circumstantially because he is still with Microsoft, and yet also has a big Japanese following in general to this day.

So I can totally see Western characters getting in, but that also doesn't mean they HAVE to be fighters either. Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, Altair for example were all relegated to mii costumes (and Fallout/Assassin's Creed is a pretty big Western series too). It would be lame sure, but what's stopping them from making Crash, Master Chief, Doomguy, Dovahkiin, or Minecraft Steve from just being Mii costumes; which I feel like is a completely possible outcome (maybe not all, but some of them getting in... as costumes).

I mean Assassin's Creed is far bigger than most other Western series in Japan (big enough that Odyssey actually released on the Switch only in Japan as a cloud streamed game), yet it got costumed.

I just think we should be considering the possibility that a lot of Western characters maybe even fan-favorites like Doomguy, Crash, Master Chief, and Steve will just end up getting costumed because Nintendo is clearly not averse to doing it and they clearly don't view it as a bad thing either.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I kind of wonder if both Master Chief and Steve could get in. Yes Microsoft owns Mojang, but they let them pretty much handle everything without their involvement (besides maybe some Microsoft employees went over to join their studio and they got a bigger budget, but no corporate controlling or whatever).

Though I think we could get either if not (ignoring my Steve bias): Master Chief to hopefully get Japan to play Halo and to further advertise the XBox (or Xcloud or whatever they mostly care about now idk), and Steve because Minecraft is highly popular over there too (+ there are people there who want Steve in Smash as well like over here) making it to the top of the eShop and stuff like elsewhere, it’s achieved its own huge legacy like other games, and it got Nintendo and Microsoft to work together in the first place (of course I guess that means Microsoft is still involved with at least some business stuff even though they let Mojang do everything and so my idea in my first paragraph is likely dead).
It's unlikely, but I think it's possible for both Master Chief and Steve to both get in this game. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft triple dip because it's Microsoft one of the biggest corporations on the freaking planet.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just listened to Gamxplains prediction and they apparently don´t expect anyone exception for Min-min this year... If that´s true then... ugh

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With all this theorycrafting today, I kind of wonder if Chief would have been negotiated around the same time as Banjo... Also, if Chief's reveal is a third fakeout with DK and Banjo replacing K. Rool and there's still a hole in DK's house, I'm going to laugh my ass off.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The general consensus for 3rd party characters leans on the classic designs or their most iconic appearances rather than their newest game appearances. I imagine the same would more or less be true for Crash and Master Chief, the latter is especially true because Infinite uses his Halo 2/3 look.
I agree, just that my point was we can't discount the idea just cause of patterns alone.

Sakurai is willing to work with companies. Considering he was willing to go with Slime if Hero didn't work out, he's a very open person. So if he had to take a less popular design? He'll take if the character is warranted and works regardless. He's picky, sure. As we all are. But he's a businessman first.

Thankfully every company is highly cooperative so the chances of them using a less popular design is low. Especially as they serve as an advertising effect.

...I was gone for 2 hours, so this post is fairly late as a reply.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With all this theorycrafting today, I kind of wonder if Chief would have been negotiated around the same time as Banjo... Also, if Chief's reveal is a third fakeout with DK and Banjo replacing K. Rool and there's still a hole in DK's house, I'm going to laugh my ass off.
Master Chief would probably be involved in a trailer with Samus since both fight against alien monsters on a daily basis

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Imagine if Nintendo pulled this stunt again. We would REALLY be at the edge of our seats.

Courtesy of @MonkeyDLenny
View attachment 279064
>Wart
Don't get me wishing for things that will never happen...
When Geno get's revealed, I want to see this guy's reaction first:

When Geno gets revealed, I want to see all of your guys' reactions!

>Yeah, if you're on east coast, wake up before 10 am
>7AM PST / 10AM EST
I'm getting so ****ing tired of how early they have these damn Directs. Remember when the September 2019 Direct happened at 3PM PST / 6PM EST? Ahh, good times...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That would be comedy gold right there. In the words of the late Emperor Palpatine:

Just dew it Nintendo.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Master Chief would probably be involved in a trailer with Samus since both fight against alien monsters on a daily basis
I think Mario would be a big part of his trailer because it would be Mario vs. Master Chief. Like Nintendo’s mascot vs Microsoft’s. Kinda like Sonic’s trailer in Brawl.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's a BS bit of logic, don't take it too seriously.
I thought we should take everything Gamxplain said seriously in this thread? :bluejump::bluejump:
In all seriousness. While I would not be surprised if their prediction were right, as annoying as it might be, I do feel that we are at least getting one more this year.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can tell you that they were not sadly.
Fighter Pass 2 wasn't decided until E3/August of last year.

Droodle

Smash Lord
People also really underplay how massive the fact that even AC getting costumed is!
Technically speaking, even with just a costume; it is the 3rd biggest 3rd party series in Smash. Just after Final Fantasy, and Sonic (though it may have beaten it by now).

Knowing that I can't really say that characters like Crash/Master Chief would never get costumed.

Just for comparison series sales (maybe outdated):
- Assassins Creed: 140 million
- Crash: 50 million
- Master Chief: 65 million

axel_

Smash Journeyman
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

WAL-MART TOOK THE AD DOWN!!! GENO INCOMING!!!
View attachment 279114View attachment 279115View attachment 279116
I have my doubts about this. I don't know where this ad would be. Also I first saw it from a WiiUGamer stream, and we all should know how WiiUGamer is with fake leaks.

I was the one who bring it to the table, but do you think is real? Because imo is too weird, the pass was $40 when should be $30
30$ is the actual price of the Fighters Pass.
Canadian prices. Converting the pass's actual 29.99 price in USD to CAD would come out at a price similar to this.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I thought we should take everything Gamxplain said seriously in this thread? :bluejump::bluejump:
In all seriousness. While I would not be surprised if their prediction were right, as annoying as it might be, I do feel that we are at least getting one more this year.
The 3rd party partners would be royally angry if they did that and held off the remaining 5 all the way to 2021. Plus, the Japanese Smash Bros playlist recently updated, implying we've got FP7 at least on the horizon

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Wait, that was real?
I was the one who bring it to the table, but do you think is real? Because imo is too weird, the pass was $40 when should be $30
If I remember correctly, wasn't this ad a snippet from a 4Chan thread that somebody posted? And there wasn't actually a link to this ad to begin with? I'd love if this were actually true, but, I also feel like this thread would have simply exploded if this was legitimate at the time it was originally shared.
30$ is the actual price of the Fighters Pass.
Oof I feel like an idiot right now. I have been seeing a lot of posts surrounding this leak so I kinda jumped to the bandwagon on it being real.

Sorry for the false hope, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom