• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I swear I will be pissed if FP7 is revealed like Min Min in where we didn't know who the Arms rep was for months: "The fighter is from this game. But guess which character it is hohohohohoho! :secretkpop:"

AugustusB

Smash Champion
With everything pointing to a "Mini" Direct with a "General" feel, we will probably see Fighter 7. I truly do not think we will get another situation like the ARMS rep. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
People also really underplay how massive the fact that even AC getting costumed is!
Technically speaking, even with just a costume; it is the 3rd biggest 3rd party series in Smash. Just after Final Fantasy, and Sonic (though it may have beaten it by now).

Knowing that I can't really say that characters like Crash/Master Chief would never get costumed.

Just for comparison series sales (maybe outdated):
- Assassins Creed: 140 million
- Crash: 50 million
- Master Chief: 65 million
Assassin's Creed is a multiplatform series that gets a new installment just about every year. I don't think you can compare that to Halo, which has been only on Xbox console wise, and Crash, which had about 10 years without any games.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd like to think even nintendo isnt that bad at marketing
They gave away Lucario's inclusion (along with the return of Jigglypuff and Ganondorf, to a lesser extent) in a TV commercial for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so it's not unprecedented for them to make that kind of mistake. (though in this case, there are a lot of red flags that make this seem fake)

Droodle

Smash Lord
Assassin's Creed is a multiplatform series that gets a new installment just about every year. I don't think you can compare that to Halo, which has been only on Xbox console wise, and Crash, which had about 10 years without any games.
Yes, but even then, it still doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is OK with costuming massive series. My point isn't that Crash or Chief can't be full blown fighters, because I firmly believe that just about any character can be a fighter and you don't need to pass a certain sales milestone to get into Smash.

What I'm trying to argue is that you can't really use the defense of "Crash/Master Chief are too big or iconic to get costumed". They're fair picks for characters, but also fair picks for costumes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They gave away Lucario's inclusion (along with the return of Jigglypuff and Ganondorf, to a lesser extent) in a TV commercial for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so it's not unprecedented for them to make that kind of mistake. (though in this case, there are a lot of red flags that make this seem fake)
Don't forget Bloody Tears being leaked on Nintendo's channel the night before Simon was revealed and SNK's name being leaked on the Smash site days before Terry was revealed.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Canadian prices. Converting the pass's actual 29.99 price in USD to CAD would come out at a price similar to this.
Scratch that, apparently this is the price of the Pass in Australia.

There is no Walmart in Australia.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I swear I will be pissed if FP7 is revealed like Min Min in where we didn't know who the Arms rep was for months: "The fighter is from this game. But guess which character it is hohohohohoho! :secretkpop:"
It sounds almost childish to say but if they pull that crap again I may just need to take a break from the whole speculation thing. Like I get why they did it with arms, even when not considering COVID making min min take far longer than anticipated, but I can't do that once per fighter.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The 3rd party partners would be royally angry if they did that and held off the remaining 5 all the way to 2021. Plus, the Japanese Smash Bros playlist recently updated, implying we've got FP7 at least on the horizon
Here is the kicker though... I don´t think we are getting as many third parties that the rest of you guys are, having it around 50/50 at best

Especially when we have the likes of Isaac, Majoras Mask, Krystal, Dixie, Rex & Pyra, etc who are all highly requested but also first-party...
Edit - Hell if we get Geno and/or Waluigi because of the 35th year anniversary... then we have to assume that we are getting someone Zelda related considering Zelda has its 35 year anniversary next year. (Majoras Mask?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We could finally get Geno revealed on Monday boys. After all that time keeping up with speculation and the GameStop leak, we could finally get him. As others mentioned by the Square spirit events, I don’t think it guarantees that Square is next, but it gives the impression that Square continues to support Ultimate and the missing costumes. I’m just ready to be done with it.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
God I'm trying to rethink my predictions right now and it's just really frustrating. I've settled on the fact that I think Geno, Dante, and Crash are very likely coming, and Chief being this 50/50 sort of deal, but it leaves me without a 6 since I don't think it's any of them. Travis fits the kind of slot I'm thinking of but at the same time it still doesn't feel right. I think I'll just wait until Monday because god DAMN we need some fresh, raw fuel for the speculation machine. Kinda hard to theorycraft what Nintendo is doing when we have nothing to go off of but rumors.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
God I'm trying to rethink my predictions right now and it's just really frustrating. I've settled on the fact that I think Geno, Dante, and Crash are very likely coming, and Chief being this 50/50 sort of deal, but it leaves me without a 6 since I don't think it's any of them. Travis fits the kind of slot I'm thinking of but at the same time it still doesn't feel right. I think I'll just wait until Monday because god DAMN we need some fresh, raw fuel for the speculation machine. Kinda hard to theorycraft what Nintendo is doing when we have nothing to go off of but rumors.
Simple: Pokémon shill pick for the last one. (And I like pokemon)

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me for using your post as a trampoline, but I've needed a jumping-off point for a while. A Gen 8 Pokemon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters are definitely not going to happen.

Spirits, and assist trophies, originally existed to fill the hole of characters who should be represented but weren't prioritized as fighters at the time. All spirit / AT upgrades would definitely come as a result of changing mindsets. Sakurai made it clear that Springman was in contention, but every trophy / spirit faces an uphill battle.

Rumor has it, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and @papagenos can back me up here, that paid DLC content are the only dead characters. Rex is completely dead. He was a $20 paid DLC Mii outfit. To add on, the Xenoblade franchise has begun moving on from the Xenoblade 2 cast. Even Torna basically did away with Rex / Pyra. This doesn't kill a Gen 8 Pokemon, but Fighter's Pass 2 has been in discussions since the beginning of the first. They would've finalized the pass long before Sword and Shield came out. The plans for Cinderace / Toxtricity would've been made long before those spirits. If Pokemon was getting a character, it would've been handled exactly as Three Houses was. It's arguable that the team could've changed their minds on Resident Evil or Astral Chain. The Pokemon spirits are far too recent. As for "well why aren't the final evolutions spirits?" They weren't announced at the time of the event.
I'll agree than Gen 8 Pokémon makes no sense, mostly because Sword/Shield already had a spirit event past July 2019 and the promotional aspect can be better used for another franchise.
Xenoblade's case is more interesting though: To put it in spoiler-free terms, all of Xenoblade's cast can be a character in Smash and still be relevant for the next game. Something else to mention about Torna: It was planned to be a full-on flashback segment on Xenoblade 2, but they thought it would break a lot of the pace. It sets up everything for the main story of 2, though. In resume, I think there's flaws with your argument, mostly because of recent developments in Future Connected and Takahashi's plans for the franchise in the near future. On another note, Future Connected didn't have an spirit event yet coming alongside it... Reminds me of another famous fantasy franchise who loves to have a character in Smash, right?

Anyways, back to the scheduled Geno discussion... I've been wondering something: if this Direct is the smaller than E3, but still has 2 characters announced: is there a chance that both characters will be in the same trailer? If so, I have a last challenge that could be fun distraction while we wait for Monday: Imagine a double reveal trailer with Geno and another character. Bonus points for interactions between the two.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD50D631C1566B340

For the people freaking out about the Direct being a "Mini", the last Mini Direct was almost half an hour long and it didn't have any fluff. Usually regular Directs are like 45 minutes because there will be at least one game they blow 10 minutes on and it's like pulling teeth.
It's not so much a question of the length of the Direct, but the content within it

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Simple: Pokémon shill pick for the last one. (And I like pokemon)
We already have had a chill pick with Min Min (you can´t convince me that she was not a shill pick when they announce a free demo immediately after it was revealed that ARms would get a character that it wasn´t a "shill pick") but I would not be suprised if we got some more. Especially if those dead franchises that Fatman has hinted towards is getting a game any time soon.

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Then why are you worried at all? The internet is well aware of what the direct will entail. They have to reveal new first-party games. We know of the Mario anniversary remasters. They have to reveal the next Smash fighter. Personally, I think the rumored third-party stuff is much more interesting. As long as you're not in hell.

It's not so much a question of the length of the Direct, but the content within it

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I want to be excited for the 20th but i feel like we've tried predicting so many dates and they all seemed to make sense to me but it never happened

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think my issue with it being a mini is that smash reveal is almost guaranteed to be spoiled. The day the last mini direct was aired, Reddit spoiled that the next character was from ARMs. It’s not going to be fun finding out that “x” is the next Nintendo character just by searching the direct. But I was glad that Nintendo at least just gave the series and let the character be a mystery.

The issue now is I wonder if they are going to do that again. It’s kinda a good idea. Throws us a bone while keeping it a mystery. It just wouldn’t work with a lot of series though. My guess is if they did do that again, the two series that are likely to get that treatment are League of Legends and Mario. Mario because they have a lot viable contenders and people won’t fixate on one. League because of that one Trials of Mana leak and it also has a lot of characters that could represent it. But since the new banner is removed, it is likely to be a full character reveal I guess.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, while obviously it’s important to know what Nintendo has in store for the rest of the year with no games having a confirmed release date after Origami King, I personally have enough stuff to play and do that I would be perfectly satisfied if a Geno reveal was all we got in this potential Direct. I know pretty much everyone else understandably wants more, but that’s just how I’m feeling.

Edit: Oof, Max almost said the same thing right before me!

Last edited:

MarcelinoBros92

Smash Rookie
Maybe nintendo after the last reunion taked the dession of make 'mini directs' during this year and the followings and one general nintendo direct one time for year.

Maybe this is the new format of Nintendo.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think my issue with it being a mini is that smash reveal is almost guaranteed to be spoiled. The day the last mini direct was aired, Reddit spoiled that the next character was from ARMs. It’s not going to be fun finding out that “x” is the next Nintendo character just by searching the direct. But I was glad that Nintendo at least just gave the series and let the character be a mystery.

The issue now is I wonder if they are going to do that again. It’s kinda a good idea. Throws us a bone while keeping it a mystery. It just wouldn’t work with a lot of series though. My guess is if they did do that again, the two series that are likely to get that treatment are League of Legends and Mario. Mario because they have a lot viable contenders and people won’t fixate on one. League because of that one Trials of Mana leak and it also has a lot of characters that could represent it. But since the new banner is removed, it is likely to be a full character reveal I guess.
They could do the guessing game with FP8 if it's not ready to be fully shown off

Also While League could work, I'm doubtful of Mario. It'll probably just be Geno Vs. Waluigi, with Paper Mario and a little toad thrown in there. That war would be the bloody sequel to Steve vs Banjo

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I personally don't see the sense in a Mini. We just had one in March and the last general Direct we've had was literally almost a year ago, making this by far the longest Nintendo Direct drought in history. I also feel like most of the rumored games coming from Nintendo this year and next year are definitely NOT mini Direct material. I know those are just rumors and hypothetically, they COULD be fake, but given how credible insiders have been guessing at say, the 3D Mario Collection and a 2D Metroid, it makes me feel like those rumors are most likely true and we will be in for these announcements.

As a side note, like others have said, I'm gonna be very pissed off if this character is shadowdropped again. I was disappointed when I randomly logged in to the internet and saw people talking about an ARMS rep coming to Smash, and especially if Geno is CP7, I REALLY don't want that to be how Geno gets revealed. It would definitely be an underwhelming way to reveal a character who has had demand for the game for almost 20+ years.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I personally don't see the sense in a Mini. We just had one in March and the last general Direct we've had was literally almost a year ago, making this by far the longest Nintendo Direct drought in history. I also feel like most of the rumored games coming from Nintendo this year and next year are definitely NOT mini Direct material. I know those are just rumors and hypothetically, they COULD be fake, but given how credible insiders have been guessing at say, the 3D Mario Collection and a 2D Metroid, it makes me feel like those rumors are most likely true and we will be in for these announcements.

As a side note, like others have said, I'm gonna be very pissed off if this character is shadowdropped again. I was disappointed when I randomly logged in to the internet and saw people talking about an ARMS rep coming to Smash, and especially if Geno is CP7, I REALLY don't want that to be how Geno gets revealed. It would definitely be an underwhelming way to reveal a character who has had demand for the game for almost 20+ years.
At this point, we sadly have no choice. I'll be glad if Geno's confirmed, regardless of him being spoiled or shadowdropped

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I don't think 2 western reps is too unlikely. Smash has been pretty friendly to western companies as of late. Banjo was revealed a year ago and since then, we've gotten Sans, Cuphead and Vault Boy costume with a deluxe treatment to them. Bethesda and Microsoft are already on board with Ultimate which are big western companies, and I don't think they are the only western studios who are interested in seeing representation in Smash

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
The character is... from a Mario RPG.
Character is neither Geno or Mallow. It´s booster

Droodle

Smash Lord
Forgive me for using your post as a trampoline, but I've needed a jumping-off point for a while. A Gen 8 Pokemon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters are definitely not going to happen.

Spirits, and assist trophies, originally existed to fill the hole of characters who should be represented but weren't prioritized as fighters at the time. All spirit / AT upgrades would definitely come as a result of changing mindsets. Sakurai made it clear that Springman was in contention, but every trophy / spirit faces an uphill battle.

Rumor has it, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and @papagenos can back me up here, that paid DLC content are the only dead characters. Rex is completely dead. He was a $20 paid DLC Mii outfit. To add on, the Xenoblade franchise has begun moving on from the Xenoblade 2 cast. Even Torna basically did away with Rex / Pyra. This doesn't kill a Gen 8 Pokemon, but Fighter's Pass 2 has been in discussions since the beginning of the first. They would've finalized the pass long before Sword and Shield came out. The plans for Cinderace / Toxtricity would've been made long before those spirits. If Pokemon was getting a character, it would've been handled exactly as Three Houses was. It's arguable that the team could've changed their minds on Resident Evil or Astral Chain. The Pokemon spirits are far too recent. As for "well why aren't the final evolutions spirits?" They weren't announced at the time of the event.
Since this was brought up, let me just say my thoughts.

Yes, Pokemon already got a spirit event; but it's still within the realm of possibility to get a fighter. Now I do think the spirit event definitely hurts it's chances, but Pokemon is one of the few series where spirits are super abundant and easy to make. They could literally do a Crown Tundra themed spirit event to go with a potential Smash DLC. It's different than lets say Resident Evil literally spiriting all their most popular protagonists away. Besides not putting in a spirit event would have been seen as extremely suspicious, and after Byleth people would automatically think Pokemon is definitely getting a character (if it is). Besides saying Pokemon is not happening, while RE and Astral are arguable doesn't work because those spirits came out after the Pokemon ones.

And the justification for explaining why Rex is dead is not good. If you actually look at the timeline, Rex was pretty much a base game mii costume that was pushed to the role of being a preorder bonus, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he was a costume before the fighters pass was even a thing. We literally have Nia who is a base game costume for free, and it's not like you can buy Rex like the other Mii costumes; you're spending that money for a pass not Rex. He's pretty much a spirit with a mii costume in base game and should be treated as such.

And Rex wasn't in Torna because that game was literally set more than a 100 years before he was born, but even then him and Pyra had a cameo at the end. Shulk/Elma also got added into Xenoblade 2 as DLC characters; they could always just end up doing that in future Xeno games (have previous characters cameo, something like Tales does with the secret bosses).

So while Pokemon is debatable, Rex is pretty much fair game.
- His mii costume was pretty much just pushed from base game in order to make a bonus for FP1.
- Both Future Connected and Torna: The Golden Country have had 0 spirit events. On top of this XC2 is also missing spirits for a ton of major characters outside of the main party. They've put in spirits for Octopath Traveler, which means that they aren't against putting in spirit events of games that came out before Smash.
- Sakurai wanted him in.
- In Japan, he's usually one of the highest requests for a character (top 3). He does decently well in the West still too. A lot of people want to see Pyra and Mythra too, which Rex easily incorporates into his kits. Just look at the Japanese Smash twitter for proof, every time Pyra and Mythra's spirits get featured in a spirit event, they consistently get the most likes and usually it's by a huge margin. For example, in the "crowns" spirit event Peach got slightly under 1000 likes while Pyra and Mythra were both hovering around 2k. So Nintendo definitely notices this.
- He isn't in copyright limbo and is first party.
- There are a ton of iconic songs from XC 2 missing.
- He has stage and moveset potential, unique gimmick could be special cancelling or switching between Pyra/Mythra.
- He may make appearances in future games, like Shulk/Elma in XC 2.
- Nintendo and Monolith Soft have both said they want to make Xenoblade bigger.

Honestly, I'd say Rex is the most likely DLC character by far; he'd be the only character that I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it in. The only way I see him not getting in is if another Xenoblade character gets in, instead; and the chances for that are low. Unless XC: DE is getting DLC the best chance of someone like Melia or Fiora getting in would be on Monday, if they don't show up then; they are pretty much dead in the water because they lose their "promotional" advantage, and they aren't as popular as Rex and Pyra on top of XC 1 already having a character. The only other potential representative of Xenoblade would be a Xenoblade 3 character, which is technically possible if it gets released next year OR Elma if XCX remastered comes next year.

So yeah, I think another Xenoblade character is 99% happening (and that is the only series/character I feel this way about), and Rex is the most likely one by far. Although personally I would prefer someone else.

EDIT: And on top of all of this, even if you've bought the entirety of Smash DLC separately. You still don't get the Rex mii costume (you'd still have to spend $20 on getting the pass just for Rex). Keep in mind, that originally the mii costume was an "apology" for not making Rex playable, because they would have been definitely playable if it wasn't for time constraints. By keeping the mii costume locked even if you buy all the DLC separately, it makes me think that they have something else in the future planned for Rex.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
They could do the guessing game with FP8 if it's not ready to be fully shown off

Also While League could work, I'm doubtful of Mario. It'll probably just be Geno Vs. Waluigi, with Paper Mario and a little toad thrown in there. That war would be the bloody sequel to Steve vs Banjo
With Arms it really boiled down to Spring-Man vs. Min-Min, with Ribbon Girl as the third wheel contender. I think something similar could happen to Mario, but it depends on who they show on the list of possibilities.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
At this point, we sadly have no choice. I'll be glad if Geno's confirmed, regardless of him being spoiled or shadowdropped
Oh yeah me too, but I'd still feel very underwhelmed. As a YouTuber, I would love to have my reaction to any character reveal that is to come and if Geno were to get revealed, I would love to have my reaction, so that I can look back on how excited I was 10 or 20 years in the future. I still have my Banjo reaction on YouTube and I love to go back to that sometimes just to see how unbelievably hyped I was to get some of my most wanted characters in Smash.

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, I just woke up from dreaming that I got super drunk and started hardcore flirting with Mimi from Super Paper Mario. She was three dimensional and her head was a cube, but I could feel the texture of her hair.

Please come back Geno, we're all losing it without you.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
So, I just woke up from dreaming that I got super drunk and started hardcore flirting with Mimi from Super Paper Mario. She was three dimensional and her head was a cube, but I could feel the texture of her hair.

Please come back Geno, we're all losing it without you.
At least it wasn't the spider form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom