• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Chief or Geno will be the last character.

Last chars in Brawl were ROB, Lucario, Toon Link and Wolf.
Last chars for base Smash 4 were Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt.
Last chars for Smash 4 DLC were Bayonetta and Corrin.
Last chars for base Ultimate were Incineroar and Ken. (And Piranha Plant if you count that too).
Last char for Fighters Pass 1 was Byleth.

Now I do like some of these characters, but none of them were particularly hype at all. It seems like they have a pattern in getting people hooked with the more hype characters in the beginning/mid of speculation and then dropping the more bleh ones at the end when we're already hooked.

This is why Cinderace is my FP#11 prediction right now.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Last chars for base Ultimate were Incineroar and Ken. (And Piranha Plant if you count that too).

Now I do like some of these characters, but none of them were particularly hype at all. It seems like they have a pattern in getting people hooked with the more hype characters in the beginning/mid of speculation and then dropping the more bleh ones at the end when we're already hooked.

We are predicting Geno/Chief as 7 and 8, both in the monday direct

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
We passed the 3000 page mark!

Other than that we're mainly just predicting stuff for the next direct
I knew you guys were worried about reaching the milestone in time, so congratulations to all of you! I'm glad you've reached it! ^u^

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Forgive me for using your post as a trampoline, but I've needed a jumping-off point for a while. A Gen 8 Pokemon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters are definitely not going to happen.

Spirits, and assist trophies, originally existed to fill the hole of characters who should be represented but weren't prioritized as fighters at the time. All spirit / AT upgrades would definitely come as a result of changing mindsets. Sakurai made it clear that Springman was in contention, but every trophy / spirit faces an uphill battle.

Rumor has it, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and papagenos papagenos can back me up here, that paid DLC content are the only dead characters. Rex is completely dead. He was a $20 paid DLC Mii outfit. To add on, the Xenoblade franchise has begun moving on from the Xenoblade 2 cast. Even Torna basically did away with Rex / Pyra. This doesn't kill a Gen 8 Pokemon, but Fighter's Pass 2 has been in discussions since the beginning of the first. They would've finalized the pass long before Sword and Shield came out. The plans for Cinderace / Toxtricity would've been made long before those spirits. If Pokemon was getting a character, it would've been handled exactly as Three Houses was. It's arguable that the team could've changed their minds on Resident Evil or Astral Chain. The Pokemon spirits are far too recent. As for "well why aren't the final evolutions spirits?" They weren't announced at the time of the event.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
You say that as if they're mutually exclusive. The west does also make up about half of Smash's total sales now. Western companies are objectively harder to negotiate with, but we've seen plenty of western content in Ultimate already. Western fighters aren't left out because they're "not for the audience" they're left out because they really aren't considered anyway... Sorry Ubisoft supporters.

i dont think we will be able get more than 1 playable western character in this fighter pack 2 the main audience is mostly from japan

D

Deleted member

Bro, this Nintendo Direct looks to be happening Monday bro.
My predictions bro
Super Mario 3D World remaster and 3D Mario collection
Pikmin 3 port
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword port
Pikmin 4
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Geno revealed as fighter 7.

Bro.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire Summing up the smash playlist in japan was updated and many insiders / leakers support the direct rumor from Monday like King Zell (who leaked both Mario Maker 2, BoxBoy + BoxGirl and Zelda Link's Awakening) said he is not a mario direct, that it will be a general one, that we create Nate and Kelios (both believe that it will be Monday) and that hopefully we like mario (hinting that the 3d mario collection will be real). After Fatmanonice Fatmanonice realized that King Zell usually knows if there is something from Microsoft, therefore we are speculating if it is: Rare Replay, X Cloud, Gamepass, Live, Master Chief Collection, a premium mii of a Microsoft character or a Microsoft fighter.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think Crash may be the Fall Direct because isn't Crash 4 due out in early October? That would be a hell of a way to advertise it.
Even so, I imagine Sakurai and the development team would use the N. Sane Trilogy designs for Crash and company since 3rd party characters often use their most iconic designs rather than the ones from the most recent games

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Outside of a hypothetical Microsoft fighter reveal, there would be no other Smash x Microsoft content revealed in the direct. All of that stuff is saved for the "Sakurai Presents" showcases. We wouldn't see any premium Mii's or such in the direct.

DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire Summing up the smash playlist in japan was updated and many insiders / leakers support the direct rumor from Monday like King Zell (who leaked both Mario Maker 2, BoxBoy + BoxGirl and Zelda Link's Awakening) said he is not a mario direct, that it will be a general one, that we create Nate and Kelios (both believe that it will be Monday) and that hopefully we like mario (hinting that the 3d mario collection will be real). After Fatmanonice Fatmanonice realized that King Zell usually knows if there is something from Microsoft, therefore we are speculating if it is: Rare Replay, X Cloud, Gamepass, Live, Master Chief Collection, a premium mii of a Microsoft character or a Microsoft fighter.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I'm starting to think Crash may be the Fall Direct because isn't Crash 4 due out in early October? That would be a hell of a way to advertise it.
What a Good theory!!!
Even so, I imagine Sakurai and the development team would use the N. Sane Trilogy designs for Crash and company since 3rd party characters often use their most iconic designs rather than the ones from the most recent games
Yeah, I also hope that Crash would have his N. Sane Trilogy desing

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
This doesn't necessarily hold true when the third party themselves are taking the newest design and unifying the world under it. Crash has always had a different look in Japan. The 4 design is now just "Crash's design!" It's standardized across the east and west versions of the mobile game too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This doesn't necessarily hold true when the third party themselves are taking the newest design and unifying the world under it. Crash has always had a different look in Japan. The 4 design is now just "Crash's design!" It's standardized across the east and west versions of the mobile game too.
Sakurai fought Bandai Namco over Pacman's design and said he would only use the classic design, not the then recent Ghostly Adventures look. Sakurai's got a lot of sway in that department

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Not necessarily true. :4pacman::ultbanjokazooie:

Now, this doesn't mean it automatically means anything, but Sakurai may or may not use more recent looks for characters.

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
This is a completely different scenario. Pac-Man went through several distinct design changes. In Smash, he was explicitly based off of his appearance in the first Pac-Man world and the arcade original. That was what his moveset was. Crash 4 is a simple evolution that changes very few elements of his design. Namco are also the team working on Smash. They can do basically whatever they want with their characters in it. Activision is an entirely different, and probably stricter, case while Crash in 4 can do everything that N-Sane Crash is. He's supposed to be the same character.

Sakurai fought Bandai Namco over Pacman's design and said he would only use the classic design, not the then recent Ghostly Adventures look. Sakurai's got a lot of sway in that department
You use Banjo as an example, but Banjo is the exact same situation. The Banjo in Nuts and Bolts just couldn't do the things the Banjo in Smash was designed to do. This is completely discounting the fact that Microsoft has been taking steps to reinstate classic Banjo as the main Banjo since Rare Replay came out.

Now, this doesn't mean it automatically means anything, but Sakurai may or may not use more recent looks for characters.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Sorry Supiroguy, those responses remind me of "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Sakurai used more of Pac Man's more classic look instead of the more "recent" Pac Man look.
Banjo and Kazooie's most recent game, and artwork, was still from Nuts N Bolts, even on the replay cover:

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 3.31.55 PM.png

Again, I am not saying Sakurai will do one way or the other, Sakurai is going to do what Sakurai is going to do. But saying he "WILL" do the more recent style of a character, despite being examples he did not, is a lot more shaky than "He may or may not."

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, he didn't "fight" over it. All he said was that he wasn't keen on using anything but the classic design. He wasn't going to just say "no" to the character. He just preferred the original design. He would've went with the redesign(which didn't even come from Ghostly Adventures. That's just the only animation that used it. It came before that, basically being his new modern design) if it was that or nothing, cause it's goddamn Pac-Man. Sakurai has some sway, but we don't even know the details the interview to see any real fight in this case. He asked to use it, and said yes, and told us he was hoping it'd be the design he preferred, basically. It's best to say Sakurai is actually quite cooperative with other companies on these issues,

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, he didn't "fight" over it. All he said was that he wasn't keen on using anything but the classic design. He wasn't going to just say "no" to the character. He just preferred the original design. He would've went with the redesign(which didn't even come from Ghostly Adventures. That's just the only animation that used it. It came before that, basically being his new modern design) if it was that or nothing, cause it's goddamn Pac-Man. Sakurai has some sway, but we don't even know the details the interview to see any real fight in this case. He asked to use it, and said yes, and told us he was hoping it'd be the design he preferred, basically. It's best to say Sakurai is actually quite cooperative with other companies on these issues,
The general consensus for 3rd party characters leans on the classic designs or their most iconic appearances rather than their newest game appearances. I imagine the same would more or less be true for Crash and Master Chief, the latter is especially true because Infinite uses his Halo 2/3 look.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Assuming if Geno is the next character, isn't it a bit sad that we only get him in because it's a Mario Anniversary? I'm sure the fan demand helped a lot but the thing pushing it over the edge was Nintendo wanting to celebrate Mario a little more this year over other anniversary years.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Assuming if Geno is the next character, isn't it a bit sad that we only get him in because it's a Mario Anniversary? I'm sure the fan demand helped a lot but the thing pushing it over the edge was Nintendo wanting to celebrate Mario a little more this year over other anniversary years.
If that's the case, then that would be Nintendo acknowledging that Geno/SMRPG is an important part of Mario's legacy that should be celebrated, which to me is at least as special as just Sakurai wanting him.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
By "Mini" I think they mean it won't be longer than half an hour which is perfectly fine and allows plenty of announcements. As for a prediction list, I usually don't like doing them because people like to zero in on what I get wrong and then use it as justification to call me a fraud-conman-liar-communist-pigdog-ratfink-turd burglar-milksop-gringo-igit-DMV worker-metrosexual-Geno supporter.
Cmon fatman, they'll do that no matter what. Live on the edge lmao

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Sorry Supiroguy, those responses remind me of "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Sakurai used more of Pac Man's more classic look instead of the more "recent" Pac Man look.
Banjo and Kazooie's most recent game, and artwork, was still from Nuts N Bolts, even on the replay cover:

View attachment 279090

Again, I am not saying Sakurai will do one way or the other, Sakurai is going to do what Sakurai is going to do. But saying he "WILL" do the more recent style of a character, despite being examples he did not, is a lot more shaky than "He may or may not."

Lets also remember :ultsimon: and :ultken:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A win's a win in my book. If Nintendo entertained the idea as far back as 2018 but decided to wait until 2020 to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario, that's a hell of an honor, especially for a one time third party character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Supirorguy has a point about Banjo; Microsoft has been using his classic design in marketing materials and plushes and stuff even before his Smash reveal.

Of course, for Crash, it could go either way imo. Whatever Sakurai thinks would be the most recognizable and beloved design, which of course would likely just be the older one tbh though I guess he did look different in Japan...

D

Deleted member

Imagine Sakurai use the Crash of the Titans design... ew

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom