• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I gotta ask. Does anyone here think their could be a possibility we won't see a character reveal at this rumored July 20 Direct?

Personally, I do think we will get CP7 revealed, but 10% of me is telling me they will pull a February 2019 Direct and not reveal a character at all
I choose not to acknowledge the possibility of hellish dystopian futures for the sake of my mental wellbeing

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I’ll take a dm pinshadow pinshadow since I won’t get the game since the previews we’ve seen are already show a middle finger to the fans demands since the original and TTYD.

fans: The art style is fine, but stop the paper style to the extreme and give is the original style with TTYD flair!
Nintendo: more paper? Got it._

It’s stuff like this that makes me worried that Nintendo decides the DLC. So tone deaf... I think banjo was a fluke to be honest with stuff like this.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, just so you guys are aware, Origami King leaked online yesterday. I'm not going to spoil anything but some guy is streaming the end of the game right now and all I can say is, there is something about the plot that has managed to turn me from being disappointed but not surprised that Nintendo refuses to return to form with Paper Mario to ABSOLUTELY LIVID about it. I'll address what it is when the game releases/people know about it, but just, WOW.
It’s one specific plot detail, does it ruin the entire game? Probably not, but without saying what it is, let's just say it feels like a giant middle finger to people who have been complaining about the newer games and leave it at that.
This doesn’t sound good.

I’m still interested in the game despite the coins seeming unbalanced and paper being taken to the extreme still, but man, I hope it’s enjoyable...

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I’ll take a dm pinshadow pinshadow since I won’t get the game since the previews we’ve seen are already show a middle finger to the fans demands since the original and TTYD.

fans: The art style is fine, but stop the paper style to the extreme and give is the original style with TTYD flair!
Nintendo: more paper? Got it._

It’s stuff like this that makes me worried that Nintendo decides the DLC. So tone deaf... I think banjo was a fluke to be honest with stuff like this.
I don't think Nintendo is to blame necessarily. They probably are, however, apathetic towards the older fans' pleas. Intelligent Systems approach Nintendo on a new Paper Mario game with a concept and then they approve it. Now sure, you could blame Nintendo for not ordering the team to go back to the older RPG style, but I'd personally blame the director of the game, Kensuke Tanabe. I know Miyamoto gets flack for him not wanting story in Mario games (which believe me, as a huge fan of Super Mario Galaxy and Rosalina's Storybook, I hate), but he only told Intelligent Systems to stick to Mushroom Kingdom NPCs. While annoying, he never told them to ditch the RPG mechanics or anything. That is Tanabe, who seems to refuse anything that goes against his vision (as evident by his recent interview). I have respect for the man as he's directed some really good games, but in terms of his inability to listen to what fans want... yeah, that's pretty stubborn. But Nintendo has shown to listen to fans. ...though it seems very selective at times, I'll admit.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Still falls into the category of not listening. So both parties involved don’t listen. That’s a good combination.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think Nintendo is to blame necessarily. They probably are, however, apathetic towards the older fans' pleas. Intelligent Systems approach Nintendo on a new Paper Mario game with a concept and then they approve it. Now sure, you could blame Nintendo for not ordering the team to go back to the older RPG style, but I'd personally blame the director of the game, Kensuke Tanabe. I know Miyamoto gets flack for him not wanting story in Mario games (which believe me, as a huge fan of Super Mario Galaxy and Rosalina's Storybook, I hate), but he only told Intelligent Systems to stick to Mushroom Kingdom NPCs. While annoying, he never told them to ditch the RPG mechanics or anything. That is Tanabe, who seems to refuse anything that goes against his vision (as evident by his recent interview). I have respect for the man as he's directed some really good games, but in terms of his inability to listen to what fans want... yeah, that's pretty stubborn. But Nintendo has shown to listen to fans. ...though it seems very selective at times, I'll admit.
...When did they actually ditch the rpg mechanics? They're quite blatantly there. Leveling up is the only one outright gone, and the battle system is literally there like before, there's still a form of leveling up(it's just story-based in SS, there quite clearly in CS, and TOK is the first one to not have a form of it from what we can currently see).

All I've heard is that Coins are supposed to be a replacement for regular experience to a degree, and seeing as how it does give you equipment to progress through the game, it's not entirely wrong. Though it may have more uses we don't know about yet, so maybe we just lack knowledge. I think they're trying to stretch how much of a replacement it is, though. Then again, Nintendo is stretching it by refusing to label it an rpg, so what you gonna do? The game is clearly supposed to revolve more around puzzle-like gameplay, but it's an RPG with Puzzle and Platforming elements anyway. Hell, they don't even label it a Puzzle game despite that clearly what the director of it intended. Action/Adventure is extremely misleading as a genre type when you're doing basic rpg battles(just with a lot more unique battle mechanics than previous games. And it still has those mechanics, bar at most... the cheering to increase your star gauge? Albeit, the partner thing was lost after SPM too, but it being gone doesn't mean rpg mechanics as a whole are gone either).

There's no question it's a shadow of the former rpg gameplay, but they actually are doing a lot better with removing really bad gimmicks. Consumable items as the only form of attack were horrible. The usual puzzles were mostly about having a good spot and search check, while the 100-arms thing is a pretty simplistic thing to do(it's not much different from using the Wii Remote to search for something in the background in Super Paper Mario, even. It just requires slightly more controls). If anything, it could use a few more mini-games that aren't just "use your controller in a gimmicky way", something problematic these days that don't improve a game. Basic controls are fine too. I don't remember any actual controller gimmicks in Color Splash, like Sticker Star letting you remove parts of the background to place in other spots. Unless they did that again and I just forgot, as it did have the Things return(please keep the Things, just don't make them more than fun summons. They were cool. How you got them weren't that bad alone, but they made for really annoying puzzles full of too much backtracking that made TTYD weep. Hoo boy, that took exploration into an annoying spot).

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Here's a link to an archive of the livestream if you are interested in seeing it yourself.
The thing I was refering to happens around 52:00ish

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's a link to an archive of the livestream if you are interested in seeing it yourself.
I really like the conversation from 49:35 onwards. Not sure why. I think it's because of Bowser.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm kinda torn between 'Don't support Papercraft Mario' and 'Buy it because there'll never be anything else'. Adding to that is that I don't think that my not buying it will change anything. I got Sticker Star second hand and I didn't buy Color Splash, but OK still got made regardless. I'm also not counting on a SMRPG sequel just yet, even after Geno gets in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm kinda torn between 'Don't support Papercraft Mario' and 'Buy it because there'll never be anything else'. Adding to that is that I don't think that my not buying it will change anything. I got Sticker Star second hand and I didn't buy Color Splash, but OK still got made regardless. I'm also not counting on a SMRPG sequel just yet, even after Geno gets in.
I bought Paper Jam because it was nice to see Paper Mario play like his old self a little bit. Couldn't get into Sticker Star at all, I've tried so many times. It's genuinely a boring game.

Can't comment on Color Splash, I was so disappointed after Sticker Star. I remember the preview images, and I hate Miyamoto for changing that. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Gimme my chain chomp companion!

I do support Mario being creative, instead of being copy-paste. Odyssey, and Super are some of my favourites. And SMRPG. They all have unique personalities.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just buy Bug Fables. From what I've heard it's leagues better than this ****.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I bought Paper Jam because it was nice to see Paper Mario play like his old self a little bit. Couldn't get into Sticker Star at all, I've tried so many times. It's genuinely a boring game.

Can't comment on Color Splash, I was so disappointed after Sticker Star. I remember the preview images, and I hate Miyamoto for changing that. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Gimme my chain chomp companion!

I do support Mario being creative, instead of being copy-paste. Odyssey, and Super are some of my favourites. And SMRPG. They all have unique personalities.
People always talk about how if they did a PM64-TTYD styled game again it'd be stale or overdone, but it's been well over a decade since we got one of those. Meanwhile, we've gotten three SS-styled Paper Marios in a row, in terms of tone, artstyle, and lack of traditional RPG gameplay.

I might get it at some point, but even if it plays similarly to the old Paper Mario games, it still isn't Mario. ..And from just taking a look at the launch trailer, it's got that same choppy two-frame animation style that post-SS Paper Mario has.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
You know Mario RPGs are screwed when this metaseries' last hope is a Mario RPG Remake/Sequel. Which no one has touched since 1996

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
As someone who literally spent the past several days marathon-ing Bug Fables and just now beat the game, I can indeed vouch for the game as being more or less what you'd want from a Paper Mario game, just without Mario and friends... and even disregarding the Paper Mario connection, it's still a damn good game in its own right and I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants a good RPG game.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I must be missing it, I watched from 49 to 54, I didn’t see anything out of place? Is it when they talk about
toad(s)
?

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
As someone who literally spent the past several days marathon-ing Bug Fables and just now beat the game, I can indeed vouch for the game as being more or less what you'd want from a Paper Mario game, just without Mario and friends... and even disregarding the Paper Mario connection, it's still a damn good game in its own right and I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants a good RPG game.
Is good or great? Been on the fence. The writing is the thing that calls me on an rpg

QQS

Smash Lord
FA6C44B9-7D28-4430-BF42-A7E8DDD4C679.jpeg

Credits on the photo to: JWKLvstheUniverse

5370772C-8CBC-4FA3-9F66-C07B204BD8FA.jpeg

285F1232-59C4-4F41-843E-2DF09DE262C3.jpeg

BAA1EB14-280E-44A7-B5A6-21742FADA859.jpeg

Here don’t know the artists but please credits on the creators!

GENO RISES AND SHINES!
GENO BEAMS INTO BATTLE!
GENO SHOOTS FOR SMASH!
GENO AIMS FOR SMASH!
GENO AWAKENS!
GENO DOLLS IN!
GENO PUPPETS IN!
GENO ALIGNS INTO BATTLE!
GENO SQUARES THE STARS!

GENO JOINS THE PARTY!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Is good or great? Been on the fence. The writing is the thing that calls me on an rpg
I would say great. Writing-wise, the dialogue could use a bit more polish, but it does capture the feel of the earlier Paper Mario games' writing well enough. The main story is also the same kind of "go here and find these objects" story, though there's also side quests that expand on the three main characters' backstories (my personal favorite being Leif's).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
... wait, what?

Isn't it normally rated E? What the hell's in the game that would warrant a T rating this time around?
"Monkey on Kremling violence is too rampant and affecting our youth today! :mad:"
That and probably Candy Kong maybe? Though she didn't make any sex jokes in the original DKC she did in DK64 with "Come closer Donkey, and let me show you how to use your instrument.".

Saw this on twitter and thought I'd share.
View attachment 278129
Mallow was going to have Autism? I'm Autistic and makes me proud I'm like Mallow in someway. Wario was originally going to be in SMRPG instead of Booster? That explains the strong resemblance. K. Rool was going to be the one to control the chained Kongs? Interesting indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I watched the video and I'm completely baffled. Not by the game, but what you're referring. What exactly are you so angry at? The silly motivation? The fact that they mentioned Toads? I'm completely confused as to why you're "ABSOLUTELY LIVID" about this, as the cutscene seems completely harmless to me. It could just be that it's extremely obvious and I'm just blind, so I'm curious as to what you're taking issue with.

D

Deleted member

That and probably Candy Kong maybe? Though she didn't make any sex jokes in the original DKC she did in DK64 with "Come closer Donkey, and let me show you how to use your instrument.".

Mallow was going to have Autism? I'm Autistic and makes me proud I'm like Mallow in someway. Wario was originally going to be in SMRPG instead of Booster? That explains the strong resemblance. K. Rool was going to be the one to control the chained Kongs? Interesting indeed.
I don't think these are actually true, lol. A lot in the original SM64 iceberg is bogus, too. Though Wario originally making an appearance would explain Booster's eerily similar appearance.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
or Underhero. It's not as similar to Paper Mario gameplay wise as Bug Fables (it has platforming elements) but it is an rpg and does have action prompts just like Paper Mario.

Also I think it's sense of humour is very in line with Paper Mario.

The story is about a mook/underling of the big bad who gets tasked with stopping him and saving the world.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think he means something else further at the end of the game with the cutscenes. I know what he's referring to, a pretty big spoiler. And I can very much understand why.

...Though I may be off. He's free to PM me the issue related to the cutscenes if he wants to further clarify. Preferably a separate PM from others.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
The game is genuinely great/fantastic. Everyone was hyping up the game a lot before I got it and I initially thought it might be a fun, neat little Paper Mario-inspired game to pass the time with. But as the game progressed further and further, I gradually went from "Hmm, this game is pretty nice. Don't see the big hype around it but it's enjoyable." to "DAMN! THIS GAME IS AMAZING!" by the end. I think the writing is pretty good but even if you find that it's not, there are very strong characters, a whole lot of lore, funny dialogues, awesome settings to explore, tons (and I mean TONS) of secrets/optional stuff to do, and a magisterial soundtrack.

I might be hyping the game up far too much, but believe me, the game is very worth it.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welp, the next 5 days will confirm or deconfirm the Direct rumors. All we can do now is wait and see

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's one specific plot detail, does it ruin the entire game? Probably not, but without saying what it is, let's just say it feels like a giant middle finger to people who have been complaining about the newer games and leave it at that.
Just from that description, it sounds like what DmC: Devil May Cry did with the whole "not in a million years" scene (mocking Dante's old look), what the Lord of Games did at the start of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (saying that nobody wants collectathons any more), or what (by my understanding) Teen Titans Go does on a regular basis, though maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

I don't get why creators feel the need to mock/insult people who enjoyed the original work when there's a huge change - it's just going to alienate people who enjoyed the originals even more, and if the change is controversial to begin with (making every character an unlikable jerk; replacing some of the best platforming around with cars; making ordinary battles in RPGs completely pointless because they offer no experience and drain limited resources), it's likely going to cause newcomers to the series to avoid it as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just from that description, it sounds like what DmC: Devil May Cry did with the whole "not in a million years" scene (mocking Dante's old look), what the Lord of Games did at the start of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (saying that nobody wants collectathons any more), or what (by my understanding) Teen Titans Go does on a regular basis, though maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

I don't get why creators feel the need to mock/insult people who enjoyed the original work when there's a huge change - it's just going to alienate people who enjoyed the originals even more, and if the change is controversial to begin with (making every character an unlikable jerk; replacing some of the best platforming around with cars; making ordinary battles in RPGs completely pointless because they offer no experience and drain limited resources), it's likely going to cause newcomers to the series to avoid it as well.
It's a baffling mindset to say the least

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I gotta ask. Does anyone here think their could be a possibility we won't see a character reveal at this rumored July 20 Direct?

Personally, I do think we will get CP7 revealed, but 10% of me is telling me they will pull a February 2019 Direct and not reveal a character at all
We've talked about it before but the chances of nothing Smash in the next presentation are incredibly slim and let's just go down the list why:

-Every single Direct since Spring 2018 has had something Smash in it and all but one had a character reveal in them.

-It's basically been confirmed that this Direct is a combination of the 35th Mario anniversary Direct and the E3 Direct.

-Since 2001, if Smash has appeared at E3 it has averaged about 3 reveals. The only exceptions to this are 2007 (which had none) and 2019 (which still had two and they were both major third party reveals).

-Even if you believe that we're only going to be getting 3 characters a year for Season 2, we're now almost 7 1/2 months into the first year of Season 2. 8 months is 2/3 of a year meaning, by this basic parameter, the second character of Season 2 should have not only been announced by now and wouldn't be too far off from being released either.

-Nintendo has told third parties to not send them stuff for Directs until September meaning this upcoming presentation with overwhelmingly be first party and first party properties. Keep in mind that they already knocked out Pokemon in June, narrowing down potential major announcements even more.

-Thanks to the Polish Amiibo leak in May, it's all but confirmed that another Smash character is releasing in September. The gap between character announcements and releases has averaged roughly 2-3 months so this fits perfectly.

-Smash reveals are practically the jewel in the crown for Nintendo E3 announcements. One really notable example is how Banjo's reveal last year was so popular that it almost overshadowed Breath of the Wild 2, the sequel to the best selling and most critically acclaimed Zelda game of all time.

This all said, my most basic expectation going into this presentation is 2 and my high flying prediction is up to 4 if certain suspected cheeky shenanigans unfold. I think this upcoming Direct is going to be one for the history books on multiple fronts so them going absolutely nuts with Smash would not surprise me at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We've talked about it before but the chances of nothing Smash in the next presentation are incredibly slim and let's just go down the list why:

-Every single Direct since Spring 2018 has had something Smash in it and all but one had a character reveal in them.

-It's basically been confirmed that this Direct is a combination of the 35th Mario anniversary Direct and the E3 Direct.

-Since 2001, if Smash has appeared at E3 it has averaged about 3 reveals. The only exceptions to this are 2007 (which had none) and 2019 (which still had two and they were both major third party reveals).

-Even if you believe that we're only going to be getting 3 characters a year for Season 2, we're now almost 7 1/2 months into the first year of Season 2. 8 months is 2/3 of a year meaning, by this basic parameter, the second character of Season 2 should have not only been announced by now and wouldn't be too far off from being released either.

-Nintendo has told third parties to not send them stuff for Directs until September meaning this upcoming presentation with overwhelmingly be first party and first party properties. Keep in mind that they already knocked out Pokemon in June, narrowing down potential major announcements even more.

-Thanks to the Polish Amiibo leak in May, it's all but confirmed that another Smash character is releasing in September. The gap between character announcements and releases has averaged roughly 2-3 months so this fits perfectly.

-Smash reveals are practically the jewel in the crown for Nintendo E3 announcements. One really notable example is how Banjo's reveal last year was so popular that it almost overshadowed Breath of the Wild 2, the sequel to the best selling and most critically acclaimed Zelda game of all time.

This all said, my most basic expectation going into this presentation is 2 and my high flying prediction is up to 4 if certain suspected cheeky shenanigans unfold. I think this upcoming Direct is going to be one for the history books on multiple fronts so them going absolutely nuts with Smash would not surprise me at all.
Hopefully, this Direct will satisfy more than disappoint

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
This incoming Direct (Hopefully.) inspired me to work on a geno animation video for the direct next week. I will give it my best guys!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hopefully, this Direct will satisfy more than disappoint
Oh, I definitely think it will. I did a rumor recap back in I believe March but allow me to update it without spoilers.

These are basically all the Nintendo franchises that currently have major rumors and are decently supported to be getting news soon:

-Mario
-Mario Kart
-Zelda
-DK
-Metroid
-Pikmin
-Smash
-Dead franchise #1
-Dead franchise #2

Nintendo franchises that have major rumors but it's unclear how soon they're coming:

-Kirby
-Wario Land/Ware
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-Fire Emblem
-Dead franchise #3

This is a pretty nice potential spread of Nintendo stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if like half this list is checked by the end of the month.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh, I definitely think it will. I did a rumor recap back in I believe March but allow me to update it without spoilers.

These are basically all the Nintendo franchises that currently have major rumors and are decently supported to be getting news soon:

-Mario
-Mario Kart
-Zelda
-DK
-Metroid
-Pikmin
-Smash
-Dead franchise #1
-Dead franchise #2

Nintendo franchises that have major rumors but it's unclear how soon they're coming:

-Kirby
-Wario Land/Ware
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-Fire Emblem
-Dead franchise #3

This is a pretty nice potential spread of Nintendo stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if like half this list is checked by the end of the month.
A promising list to say the least

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman

-Mario
-Mario Kart
-Zelda
-DK
-Metroid
-Pikmin
-Smash
-Dead franchise #1
-Dead franchise #2

-Kirby
-Wario Land/Ware
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-Fire Emblem
-Dead franchise #3

Oh my god, I never even considered the possibility of a Tomodachi Life sequel. I know that's on the "less likely to see it next week" list, but just the possibility has me super hyped!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I’ve watched most Origami King spoiler videos and honestly, I feel i’ve already experienced the game now, since the majority of what seems to carry it are clever overworld sequences and boss battles. The character cast is still far far too limited, the standard battles look boring as hell, and the game overall just looks like a slightly better Color Splash.

Pass. Wake me up when Mario RPGs are alive again
so basically, never :(

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

And its self defeating hypocrisy to do dumb jabs to the originals since the main reason the rebootish installment is even happening is BECAUSE the originals were so popular and beloved. The other problem is that perhaps writers/developers thought it would be a cutesy harmless jab/call-back, like the DMC example, but it falls flat and is seen as a spiteful move because the reboot was already very derisive and contested.

This gets worse when the people behind a reboot cannot handle any criticism and constantly spite critics, a la Teen Titans Go.

Reading that issue in TOK at first, I didn't see it as anything, but looking at it further, I can see how that comment wouldn't end well, with both sides using it against the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom