• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You know how Donkey Kong Country was rated T for some reason with its NSO release? You think Super Mario RPG would be treated similarly or?
A feature length experience just isn't considered appropriate for everybody anymore, it seems. Also probably not, there's not much in that game that would be inappropriate enough to raise the age rating.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think the rating may have been for NSO as a whole.
Nope, doesn't seem like it.

No idea why; I can't find this version's entry on the ESRB page, and they don't have descriptions to show what's changed. It's weird; I can get Earthbound's rating being upped, but this one makes no sense to me.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

No idea why; I can't find this version's entry on the ESRB page, and they don't have descriptions to show what's changed. It's weird; I can get Earthbound's rating being upped, but this one makes no sense to me.
Another reason why ESRB is never objective :yoshi:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I gotta ask. Does anyone here think their could be a possibility we won't see a character reveal at this rumored July 20 Direct?

Personally, I do think we will get CP7 revealed, but 10% of me is telling me they will pull a February 2019 Direct and not reveal a character at all

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
That one game over scene probably pushed it to T if you think about today's society.

I'd imagine Mario RPG might be looking at an E10 situation

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I gotta ask. Does anyone here think their could be a possibility we won't see a character reveal at this rumored July 20 Direct?

Personally, I do think we will get CP7 revealed, but 10% of me is telling me they will pull a February 2019 Direct and not reveal a character at all
Well look at it this way: The next amiibo wave is happening some time in September. New amiibo waves have so far always coincided with a Sakurai Presents video and/or the release of a character. Unless they plan to do what they did with Byleth, where they reveal the character during the Sakurai Presents, I can easily see them revealing the next fighter during this potential Direct. I mean, 2 months wait time from reveal to release is somewhat typical for these characters anyways.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman

I’m already not entirely banking on the idea of the July 20th Direct happening. Maybe it’s just me being sceptical, or more likely I simply don’t want to set my hopes up very high. If it happens great, if it doesn’t I’ll live.

But to properly answer your question, I think it’s a decent chance of a character happening if the Direct happens at all. Part of me is thinking they may want to hold off on it, but another part of me thinks that since the next character was probably gonna be revealed at E3 this year, we could see a reveal. Definitely wouldn’t expect it to come out soon after though. Likely September time.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

So far, other than Joker, haven’t they more or less only revealed DLC during presentations? If they’re taking months upon months between presentations in 2020, I imagine they’ll unload at least one or two DLC announcements. It’s not like they’ve been having directs or presentations every couple months to let people know what’s going on. I definitely would expect at least FP7, unsure on FP8. Wouldn’t expect a release any sooner than late August of either.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

If there is a direct if some sort, then I think it’s more than likely to have a reveal since before the virus, there’s no way Nintendo would NOT reveal a fighter at E3 before it was canceled.

Then again, Nintendo has been pretty tone deaf lately ... or pretty quiet.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've made this point before, but Nintendo needs to ramp up their promotion of the second fighter pass, as their 3rd party partners are going to get really impatient if they don't get their act together soon. They need to otherwise the Fighter Pass will sink like a rock, and considering how costly negotiations for character rights can be, it would be a bad idea to keep at least the next two or three fighters a mystery for too much longer

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Zero, unironically. Two things to keep in mind.
  • Since Smash Ultimate's announcement, there has not been a single Nintendo presentation where Smash didn't get something, even the February 2019 direct, where they basically had nothing to show yet, they still bothered to tell us Joker was coming in April, and that direct was weirdly timed where Piranha Plant had just come out. Even for the last mini direct, they still felt the need to tide us over by revealing it was an ARMS character, despite Min Min getting delayed to June from a presumed April release. Nintendo isn't going to not reveal a character, it makes no sense based on how they've handled this in the past.
  • Speaking on delays, it's clear at this point Nintendo seems to have pushed back their announcements/some releases on a somewhat linear path. Min Min meant to be out in April? Shove it back 2 months. Paper Mario seemingly meant to be revealed in the Spring Direct/potential 35th Mario Event? Shove it to May and announce it at the last minute. Whatever Nintendo had planned for E3 can't stay under wraps for that much longer, and that obviously includes whatever Smash announcements they had, it makes sense why they didn't reveal them with Min Min even though it's probably fully presentable.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

I don't think that's possible personally

I don't think this'll be like the February 2019 Direct. The difference there was that they were releasing a new character around that time (Plant) and we already knew the next character to come (Joker). There really wasn't any reason to reveal anything else. Especially since the character after Joker (Hero) didn't come out till July. Saving that till E3 made sense

Currently, we have literally no info on what's on the horizon with Smash aside from the fact that 5 characters remain. Not only that, but we also have no clue on Nintendo's general plans for fall 2020. Seeing how big presentations were cancelled like the rumored Mario presentation and the E3 presentation, Nintendo needs to outline what is releasing from them. This includes Smash DLC. Min Min was a great character and all, but didn't make the impact Joker and Banjo did for the 1st Fighters Pass. If they want to keep people talking about Smash and increase sales for Fighters Pass 2, then it makes the most sense to show off another character

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Earthbound was bumped up to T for 'Traumatizing.'

Droodle

Smash Lord

There's always the possibility of them skipping, even if it is super unlikely; but Smash has been a direct regular since Ultimate was revealed, even the Feb 2019 one had some information on Joker, even if there were no extra reveals. They can't really give new info on Min Min, so that would mean they would have to do a new reveal. In my opinion the worst case scenario is if they do an ARMS-esque reveal for a franchise, but I think the chances for that happening again are unlikely.

So I do think there is going to be a reveal. The question is who though, as there are a lot of names floating around but no concrete leaks. A lot of people assume that a potential E3 character would be a big name, but that isn't necessarily the case, as Min-Min already broke the pattern of the "first" reveal being a big character. While I don't think we're going to get a super niche character for character 7, but it doesn't have to be a huge icon/request either (kinda like Min-Min).

My "realistic" predictions on the direct/what we'll see:

-Character 7 reveal: Who knows who it is
-Pikmin 3 Definitive Edition trailer. Focuses on new content, releases September 2020. Hopeful thinking is that it ends on a teaser for Pikmin 4 coming 2021.
-No More Heroes 3 trailer, releasing October 2020
-A/Some Pokemon Trailers
-DOOM Eternal trailer, releasing October 2020
-Bravely Default 2 trailer, releasing September 2020. New demo dropping today/this week.
-Small teaser of SMT 5, 2021 release date. (Pushing it)
-1-2 new announcements for 1st party franchises coming later (not this year). Not Mario Odyssey 2 or MP4, something closer to the level of XC3/Monolith's new game or a FE 4 Remake.
-Montage of smaller 3rd party games coming to the Switch/being ported this year.
-Mario Remastered collection revealed, releasing November/December 2020
"One more thing"
-Zelda BOTW 2 Trailer, 2021 release date.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My predictions for next direct:

-We win, Geno gets in Smash
-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-Talk on Pikmin 4
-Metroid Prime Trilogy
-Talk on Metroid Prime 4
-Super Duper Mario 3D Remastered Collection
-DOOM Eternal
-Reminder that Paper Mario TOK has been released
-Some montage of smaller games from other parties
-BotW 2 stuff
-Rare Replay
-3rd FP2 character (Steve? Chief? Gexit the Inteleon or other Pokémon? Porky? The Dee? The WAH?)

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, just so you guys are aware, Origami King leaked online yesterday. I'm not going to spoil anything but some guy is streaming the end of the game right now and all I can say is, there is something about the plot that has managed to turn me from being disappointed but not surprised that Nintendo refuses to return to form with Paper Mario to ABSOLUTELY LIVID about it. I'll address what it is when the game releases/people know about it, but just, WOW.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Everybody's throwing Direct predictions around, might as well throw mine into the ring, too:

- Challenger Pack 7: Geno. Release date teased for Fall 2020.
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Retold announced, in a similar vein to Animal Crossing New Horizons.
- Doom Eternal coming out August 2020.
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe.
- A segment dedicated to Mario, revealing games such as Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, Super Mario Party 2, and Super Mario All-Stars 2.
- BotW 2
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Based on KingZell rumors)
- Metroid Prime 4 teaser.
- Third-party montage
- Challenger Pack 8: Reimu from Touhou. Winter 2020 release date planned.
- Touhou: Antinomy of Common Flowers release date revealed.
- Touhou Collection 6-9 revealed for Switch, containing Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Imperishable Night and Phantasmagoria of Flower View. No release date given.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From what it seems like, I think it's just SNES Online as a whole listed as T for Teen, since it has those kind of games.

At least from what I can gather. So it just lists the highest rating for the feature, not a particular game.

Even then, if it were to be upped, e10+ might make some sense since it has cartoon violence and the animal characters are somewhat designed to look realistic. The sprites use a similar style to the older Mortal Kombat games, along with realistic animal noises. But they kept it E on its own all the way to 2016, so I doubt they had any intent in changing it and it just refers to SNES online only.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
So, just so you guys are aware, Origami King leaked online yesterday. I'm not going to spoil anything but some guy is streaming the end of the game right now and all I can say is, there is something about the plot that has managed to turn me from being disappointed but not surprised that Nintendo refuses to return to form with Paper Mario to ABSOLUTELY LIVID about it. I'll address what it is when the game releases/people know about it, but just, WOW.
Wait... it leaked? As in, the whole game?

WOW! That’s literally the same thing that happened with Color Splash! How does the same thing happen twice like that?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Seems like I made the right choice in not giving a **** about this game, especially after the Treehouse showcase.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
huh well now I'm curious, would you be willing to dm it to me?

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Sounds like Paper Mario was given his walking papers.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Wait... it leaked? As in, the whole game?

WOW! That’s literally the same thing that happened with Color Splash! How does the same thing happen twice like that?
I mean all that really needs to happen is some guy getting the game and knowing how to upload it. I remember when Superstar Saga DX got uploaded weeks before it came out.

Seems like I made the right choice in not giving a **** about this game, especially after the Treehouse showcase.
Sounds like Paper Mario was given his walking papers.
It's one specific plot detail, does it ruin the entire game? Probably not, but without saying what it is, let's just say it feels like a giant middle finger to people who have been complaining about the newer games and leave it at that.

huh well now I'm curious, would you be willing to dm it to me?
Sure, give me a minute.

Last edited:

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
My predictions based on what the last games various companies worked on.

NDCube: Last game was Clubhouse Games this year, so either a sequel to Super Mario Party, DLC for the original (less likely), or a new WarioWare.

Intelligent Systems: Maybe a new Fire Emblem slated for next year. Origami King looks like it was already almost finished when it was announced. There could also be a new installment of Pushmo announced, since it's been a while.

HAL Laboratory: A new Kirby game, since it's actually been a while, and there was a listing back then about hiring for new Kirby games.

Retro Studios: Can't be anything else but another teaser trailer for Metroid Prime 4.

Nintendo EPD: Another teaser for BOTW2 and maybe the supposed 3D World port.

Grezzo: This company handles a lot of remakes/remasters, mostly the Zelda games. Link's Awakening was their last biggest Nintendo-related project in 2019, so I'm thinking these guys are the ones handling the supposed Super Mario remasters.

Next Level Games: Wishful thinking is a new Punch-Out game or a new Mario Strikers; can't be another Luigi's Mansion game since that just came out last year.

Smash Bros: The Min Min overview was recorded in May, so by theory they could have a new trailer for a character still in development at least.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I too would like a DM. From what I’ve seen I’m not interested in this game despite growing up with Paper Mario.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Geno as the actual villain gives me Bomberman 64 vibes
It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I read the thread but I guess I missed the stream. I don't care about spoilers so if you want to vent feel free to DM me the leaks so I can die inside alongside you.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I don't like to make predictions for the rumored july 20th Nintendo Direct but I think they will most probably focus on their rest of 2020, from both Nintendo titles and third party publishers, specially from late summer/early fall period (september-october and maybe 1-2 surprises for august). This of courses includes CP7, so they will be good news for smash fans. :) March mini direct had 18 announcements, so think something similar (maybe a 2-3 more third party games) and add 3-4 unannounced first party (pikmin 3 and mario 3d world dx ports, super mario 3d collections and whatever is their holiday game)

I think that it is very possible to get the fall direct later september (something like 2Xth) with heavy focus on late november/december and winter 2021 games.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I just wanted to make a paper pun. Because the series is made out of paper! Isn't that wacky? Plus, have we mentioned that they are made of paper? Crazy!

One video discussion summed it up. The original games were Paper Mario. Now the series is Paper Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom