• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Of course Pokemon can't keep to themselves and demand a character when their brand rep is in the garbage.

If a Gen 8 Pokemon does get in, the reaction will be worse than Byleth.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Of course Pokemon can't keep to themselves and demand a character when their brand rep is in the garbage.

It would be like Nintendo to tell Sakurai to add another Pokemon in as they didn't learn their lesson from Corrin with Byleth. Nintendo will promote whatever the hell they want even if it get's the most negative backlash in the world.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Happy Weekend.

I'm curious, with this supposed big maintenance happening on the 7/14th... when do directs usually follow something like this? Are we still gearing towards the 20th?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Rereading the results of the second Source Gaming SSBU Mega Poll from their website and looking back to the results of the first poll and seeing the characters that made it into the first Fighters Pass, aside from my picks for CPs 7 and 8 most likely being Geno and Crash Bandicoot respectively, CP 9 (and maybe CP 10) is looking to me like more of a "dark horse" (or "dark horses") of Vol. 2. For CP 9 I was inclined to it being either Doom Slayer or Dante, but seeing as characters who placed at low rankings in the first Source Gaming poll such as Terry and Byleth yet still made it into the roster, my hopes for Adol Christin as a possible pick within Vol. 2 have gone up a bit (tied on 130th place with three other characters). Though he might get the reaction of "oh another sword fighter", however, he's got a nice pool of skills and attacks to go about for a potential moveset from all the Ys games he's starred in. Oh and the music is phenomenal of course. Thus in that regard, I guess my wants for the remainder of the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 would be:

Wants for Fighters Pass Vol. 2 (A)
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Adol Christin (Ys)
  • Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Wants for Fighters Pass Vol. 2 (B)
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Adol Christin (Ys)
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Powerman293

Smash Ace
It would be like Nintendo to tell Sakurai to add another Pokemon in as they didn't learn their lesson from Corrin with Byleth. Nintendo will promote whatever the hell they want even if it get's the most negative backlash in the world.
Nintendo only can do the blatant shill move so many times before people catch on and it ruins Smash's reputation. Look at Playstation All Stars and how blatant it was about it. I'm sure if the developers weren't obligated to include the most recent designs of a lot of those characters, the game would have been better received.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Hey everyone, back from my break and cleared my head from all the competitive community nonsense. I can actually play Smash regularly now.

Anything of note I missed the past week?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nintendo only can do the blatant shill move so many times before people catch on and it ruins Smash's reputation. Look at Playstation All Stars and how blatant it was about it. I'm sure if the developers weren't obligated to include the most recent designs of a lot of those characters, the game would have been better received.
Don't underestimate the corporate overlords' stupid decision making because they think they know wants best for us not us.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey everyone, back from my break and cleared my head from all the competitive community nonsense. I can actually play Smash regularly now.

Rumours have it that there might be a Nintendo Direct on the 20th, though I'm not sure what kind of track record the source has. (they got the date of a previous Direct - I think it was the Animal Crossing: New Horizons one? - correct, but I don't know what else they've gotten right or wrong in the past)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yeah when it comes to getting another Sega character, I would be very happy with lots of choices as long as they came from the console era of Sega. When I think of Sega, I think of Super Moneky Ball, NIGHTS, Space Channel 5, Samba de Amigo, etc. Bayonetta and Persona don't feel like Sega (and I also don't give a **** about them either).

I would love to see another Sonic character but my biggest wish for a Sega character and a bit of a pipe dream is to see Beat from Jet Set Radio in Smash.
Forget another SEGA character coming to Smash, I'd rather see SEGA make their own Smash Bros game. They have such a rich library of classic characters and worlds that I feel if they brought them all together in a platform fighter and didn't try to reinvent the wheel like PSASBR did (and come up with a shorter, snapper name for it), they'd be able to make a game worthy enough to rival Smash.

That said, if we could get another SEGA character in, as impossible as it probably is, I'd love to see Ristar get in. The Magician and a Streets of Rage character would also be great.

I can't do that, but I can give you a free Geno hat!
Hat time.png

I was in the Crash Bandicoot thread and came across this:

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...led-smash-thread.446452/page-90#post-24006683

Crash 4 is actually being published by Square Enix in Japan. Ain't that a kick in the head?
And Nintendo distributed Shovel Knight in japan. Means nothing.

Not much. According to papagenos papagenos he was given info that he can't reveal that seems to strengthen the chances of Waluigi and/or Geno coming to Smash as fighters. Also, it's rumored by a lot of reputable insiders that there'll be a Direct on or around the 20th.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
“The July Direct is over and we’re left on a shot of the stars. We hear “GENO AWAKENS” slowly fade in as a star drops to earth. We see the star fly through many different locations from Mario RPG, until it eventually finds the Geno doll. The doll gets up slowly as we see a glimmering Smash ball in his eyes...”

NEVER allow someone that tells you Geno is “too obscureto be playable in Smash. He is 100% in for me and I will never regret my words cause we are about to see the end of the two decades tunnel. Don’t judge my faith, everything that happens leads and increases Geno’s chances to be Ultimately playable. Every Direct or official info enhance Geno’s chances and makes him more alive and brighter than ever. Every Missing Costume, Takedown of songs or Legacy, Fan rules broken or anything, increases his chances. Min Min’s base-game spirit do NOT deconfirm was the last thing I needed to be from 99.9% to 100% sure he is in. To all of this, add the rest of evidence of The List and Sakurai’s acknowledge of the character, his declarations on it, how Geno made in all polls, the only costume with Splash Art and a song on the trailer, and many more things.

To all of this, add that Geno is perfect for Smash. Being the FIRST third party coming from a first party world. Mario universe, amazing and fresh moveset. The team can translate all from his game. Moveset, design, taunts, sounds, victory song, music and spirits. It will also bring new mechanics to Smash and bring another old school character to the roster which is Third Party but existing only in Mario World. It will be the best reveal. Go and check how insane is the fan art and love everyone shares on him on social media. Music, drawing, animations, 3D models, remixe

This guy is perfect for Smash and no one would make me believe the opposite.

View attachment 278035
(My Geno doll is so amazing, I can’t stop watching it). When Geno gets revealed, it will teleport to my 6 years old kid that met him playing Mario RPG in 1996. That feeling would be indescribable. Only Mega Man and Banjo touched that part of me; but Geno will be higher than anyone.

GENO SHOOTS AMONG THE STARS!

papagenos papagenos Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and all the crew: Geno in Smash will have a special % from all of us in this thread and all over the world that loves him and keeps him alive since 24 years ago. This is thanks to Nintendo & Square but we make this possible, with our passion and voice. I know I sound that if he was already in playable but believe me, he will. Probably I’m the most hyped guy on it with a 100% on him, but I don’t regret it. Just wait and see how wishes come true :)
Would you say he is waiting in the sky?
Ah, you also know of amazing Dean Martin music. I knew I liked you for more reasons than just being an awesome Geno-loving janitor.
as long as it ain´t rigged in the start

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Forget another SEGA character coming to Smash, I'd rather see SEGA make their own Smash Bros game. They have such a rich library of classic characters and worlds that I feel if they brought them all together in a platform fighter and didn't try to reinvent the wheel like PSASBR did (and come up with a shorter, snapper name for it), they'd be able to make a game worthy enough to rival Smash.

That said, if we could get another SEGA character in, as impossible as it probably is, I'd love to see Ristar get in. The Magician and a Streets of Rage character would also be great.
We got a Sega tennis game and two racing games, so I agree that it's about time we get some kind of fighting game from them as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know about you guys but speculation has been giving me a headache lately. I think after Geno is announced which I'm confident he will be the next fighter or the fighter afterwards, I'm going to take a good vacation from Smashboards and Smash speculation all together. I just want to wait and see Geno's journey all the way through in this game regardless if we reign victorious or not.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys but speculation has been giving me a headache lately. I think after Geno is announced which I'm confident he will be the next fighter or the fighter afterwards, I'm going to take a good vacation from Smashboards and Smash speculation all together. I just want to wait and see Geno's journey all the way through in this game regardless if we reign victorious or not.
There are two viewpoints about character speculation.

One is that it's great that spirits are back on the table because people can talk virtually any character they want to get in the game without people bugging them.

The other is that because spirits are such a large free for all and with no credible leaks, the discussion can't really go any which way. So the discussion is just a big mish mash of who's already popular and thousands of new characters struggling to rise to the top.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Hey guys! Happy Weekend.

I'm curious, with this supposed big maintenance happening on the 7/14th... when do directs usually follow something like this? Are we still gearing towards the 20th?
Happy Weekend!, Also Im just as confused as you are, could the 7/14 or 7/20 date be wrong? or maybe a game announcement on 7/14 and a direct on 7/20? Not sure

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was in the Crash Bandicoot thread and came across this:

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...led-smash-thread.446452/page-90#post-24006683

Crash 4 is actually being published by Square Enix in Japan. Ain't that a kick in the head?
>Sources say that a character will be from Square Enix
>Source is Japanese
>Geno Fans nervously sweat
Fatman said the game is being published by them in Japan, not owned by them. It's the same deal as the first Shantae game being published by Capcom, not the same thing as owning them

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The reason I brought up the Crash thing because he actually has a very interesting history, coincidentally being published by other big Japanese companies in Japan like SEGA and Konami.

https://crashbandicoot.fandom.com/wiki/Japanese_Crash

I also find it amazingly coincidental too because our theories since January have been that Geno and Crash would be the E3 reveals and it's just another wild coincidence that we've bumped into.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Depends on how they play this. If its an actual popular character with large fan support like Toxtricity, they would be more welcomed. If its the DLC Kung Fu Bear, that will be disliked. The base Pokemon game has been out well before this pass was started, so they could actually see which ones this gen are popular and fan favorites to then decide who to use in this new pass. But if its the SwiSh DLC pokemon, then they would be started to be worked on in Smash before the DLC came out to the players, so it comes more off as a straight up shill. The former would be a shill but with actual fan history, so its not as blatant of a shill.

What didn't help Byleth, or Roy, or Corrin, was that they were picked for Smash before their games came out, so almost half of the FE Smash roster were picked to advertise, not fan demand.

In terms of character amounts, Pokemon (and Mario) are more excused (albeit begrudgingly) because one is the face of gaming and the other is one of the biggest merchandising giants in the world. And the content amount issue isn't new. Kirby got it in Brawl and Kid Icarus in 4 when people felt that they were getting far more focus and content for their level of success.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Now, whether or not we'll get two reveals in the rumored July 20th direct isn't certain. My best guess is we'll get FP7 for now at minimum

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If we're specifically talking fighting games, and depending whether you count other types of gameplay like 3D arena fighting, Sega kinda-sorta already made their own Smash Bros. game...
Roster-wise, it was mainly a crossover between Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighting Vipers (two of their most recent Arcade/Sega Saturn fighting games at the time), with miscellaneous characters from other games like Janet from Virtua Cop, Bark and Bean from Sonic the Fighters, Rent-A-Hero from a Japan-only Mega Drive game of the same name, and the friggin' Hornet car from Daytona USA.

I actually wish Sega would get back into making fighting games, not only so we can get a new Virtua Fighter game, but also so we can get another Sega crossover fighting like Fighters Megamix with a more varied cast, whether it's a 3D fighting game like the original or with Smash Bros. platform fighter gameplay instead.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If we have a July Direct, I expect at most CP7, or at least the strict announcement, since the Pack itself isn't till a presentation. But seriously, I don't think they're going to show that much yet. I'd still expect it as late as August, but with July rumors, just the announcement and a release in August or September feels fairly reasonable. With CP8 being in the last bit of the year, probably announced in September and releasing in November or December.

This isn't really based upon insider information beyond the guess for a July reveal. I feel the spacing out seems logical lately due to having things slowed down with the pandemic still causing issues.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Crash as the Square rep confirmed? But bro. Nothing will ever surpass the 90’s shattering fact that Sega published a Sony exclusive on a Nintendo console
Like I said, publishing isn't the same as ownership. It'll be interesting to see what the next Fighter Pass reveal brings to the table

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
>Sources say that a character will be from Square Enix
>Source is Japanese
>Geno Fans nervously sweat
By this logic Geno would have been in Smash since Brawl because, although Square Enix developed Super Mario RPG, Nintendo was who published the game. Owner =/= Publisher.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Fascinating SquareEnix is publishing the new Crash game. It would be a kick in the pants if FP7 & 8 are Geno and Crash. Of course, it's just a coincidence and does not really mean anything, but would be funny none the less and then reveal Crash 4 is coming to Switch. That would be interesting indeed.

I hope Geno gets in so I can change this Avatar.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
You mentioned SEGA as a candidate, and while I don't disagree with your opinions on them, I actually think Capcom has the most amount of characters they could use that are renowned. Of course, no company will match Nintendo's IP might, but I'd say if any developer comes close it is Capcom. SEGA does indeed have a lot of IPs too, but on the whole I wouldn't say they're as recognizable as Capcom's.

People talk about how we don't want Smash to continue unless they port Ultimate, and I agree. But we still want a Nintendo fighting game to fill the void, yeah? Well think about how absolutely sick the possibility of "Nintendo vs. Capcom" would be. I'm not super into more conventional fighting games, but I'd be pretty hyped for that game.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The reason I brought up the Crash thing because he actually has a very interesting history, coincidentally being published by other big Japanese companies in Japan like SEGA and Konami.

https://crashbandicoot.fandom.com/wiki/Japanese_Crash

I also find it amazingly coincidental too because our theories since January have been that Geno and Crash would be the E3 reveals and it's just another wild coincidence that we've bumped into.
*At the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Admissions Entrance*

Geno: "Finally, I'm going to be in Smash!" *looks down at Fighters Pass Vol. 2 envelope with Challenger Pack 7 approval*
Crash: "Whoa!"
Geno: "Huh? Crash? What are you doing here? Wait, you were accepted to join Smash too?!" *inquires Geno in glee*
*Crash heartily nods*
*Crash also shows Geno a letter*

"We at Square Enix give our approval of Crash Bandicoot on behalf of the good people in Activision.

Sincerely,

Square Enix Japan Publishing Division"

Geno: "Oh, huh. Who would've thought. I guess that explains why we arrived nearly at the same time."

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Can you imagine if CRASH BANDICOOT was the Square Enix character rumored

Like... I don't even know how I'd react I'd just be like "Well played, Nintendo" and leave lmao

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Can you imagine if CRASH BANDICOOT was the Square Enix character rumored

Like... I don't even know how I'd react I'd just be like "Well played, Nintendo" and leave lmao
*Crash is revealed from the Square Enix bush*

"Clever girl."

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Crash were owned by Square, then maybe, but he isn't. Geno is owned by Square, and he's the most likely candidate

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Lol. Ah silly times indeed.

The publishing thing is interesting, very, but has nothing to do with ownership of Crash.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Not to turn this into Crash, but this is nothing new for him in Japan. SEGA has been a major player when it comes to publishing the games to Japan but it's more or less just a branding thing. Square is doing little to no work on Crash 4. Possibly filling in whoever is dubbing the game/promotional materials and that's that.

Crash 4 is still an Activision game developed by Toys for Bob

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know how Donkey Kong Country was rated T for some reason with its NSO release? You think Super Mario RPG would be treated similarly or?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
You know how Donkey Kong Country was rated T for some reason with its NSO release? You think Super Mario RPG would be treated similarly or?
... wait, what?

Isn't it normally rated E? What the hell's in the game that would warrant a T rating this time around?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom