• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
TBH the whole 7/7 thing feels like a giant meme. Are we just conveniently forgetting that whoever 7 is was 99% meant to be revealed at E3 before it got canned? Yea, it would be cool if they did it but come on people. I know, Seventh DLC Pack, 77th character, 7/7, Seven Stars, but still, let's be reasonable.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
24 hours remain, to see if that Lucky twitter post was real or not. I highly doubt it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I SEVERELY doubt 7/7 Theory, but I want it to be true, so if Geno is announced as FP7 this Tuesday, then I will eat a grilled cheese on camera.
You'd better.

24 hours remain, to see if that Lucky twitter post was real or not. I highly doubt it.
I think there's a decent chance we'll get something tomorrow given their getting two dates correct, but in terms of it being Smash related I doubt it, and I especially doubt it being a reveal of Geno for Smash.

Heoj

Smash Ace
TBH the whole 7/7 thing feels like a giant meme. Are we just conveniently forgetting that whoever 7 is was 99% meant to be revealed at E3 before it got canned? Yea, it would be cool if they did it but come on people. I know, Seventh DLC Pack, 77th character, 7/7, Seven Stars, but still, let's be reasonable.
I mean, i think everyone knows that 7 was most likely supposed to be at e3, but i think the overall idea here is that when they canned 7 from e3, they might have had a back up release date or they just went "oh wait, 7/07 looks like a pretty funny coincidence, why dont we throw 7 there"
Plus i think everyone here is aware that it very well might end up being nothing

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Yeah, feels like a reveal needs to happen soon to get things back on track. Otherwise, 2021 could be a very packed year with 4 characters being revealed and released (because I'd be surprised if we don't get CP7 released by the end of this year). 4 characters next year wouldn't be undoable, but it would definitely be a lot. And this of course assumes they stick to the December 2021 release window; I wouldn't be surprised or upset if things got delayed past that, but they haven't changed that date thus far. If we get our next character revealed soon, however, we could get a release early fall (probably September), and there would be just enough time in the year for another reveal not long after, and release around December or January. A reveal soon would make sense, timeline-wise; especially since it doesn't seem like COVID caused too huge of a delay.

Though I'd also be surprised if 7/7 actually happens. Seems too good to be true, too perfect of an opportunity, at least in regards to Smash. Nintendo just makes baffling decisions sometimes; I still remember in March, when we had gone forever without a Direct, and they shadowdropped a Direct-mini. No announcement even though it had been so long?? I'd hardly be surprised at this point for Nintendo to pass up the golden 7/7 opportunity which, even if the character isn't Geno or Shantae who have more significance to the number 7, it's still CP7, so 7/7 would be fitting regardless.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
His name may be GeNO, but I'm hoping for GeYES.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Just a reminder, we do not take ourselves seriously. It's called "Having fun with speculation"

Also, it's late so do not eat or FEED anyone who may feel sluggish or TROLLISH.

EDIT: Here's to hoping something is shown/announced in the coming hours. Regardless if it is Smash or not.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean, I think the whole ”seven theory” will eventually add up to nothing, but ya’ll can’t deny it has all lined up pretty nicely and it’s an idea we can entertain ourselves with, as long as we don’t get wrapped up in it too much!

And yeah, we still may get something on the rumored dates but it could just be a trailer ala Paper Mario or something.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Not gonna lie, it is super fun thinking 7/7 is going to be the day Geno gets in. However, I think most of us are just having fun with it. The Smash Direct announcement was done at 9:00 am US Central so I assume something similar will have to come out around that time to be primed for 7/7 in both the US and in Japan.

The Min Min Reveal was 10:00am US Eastern and 11:00pm Tokyo time. So in order for this to even happen, it will need to be a morning reveal.

Either way, I'm looking forward to posting about Tanabata on Operation StarFall. The whole festival sounds so in tune with everything we do. Why else do you think we started Operation StarFall on that year specifically?

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Don't forget that the deadline is December of 2021 for the 2nd Fighter's Pass so wanting until August or September doesn't seem too far fetched when we waited 4 to 5 months from Joker to Hero and from Terry to Byleth.
I wanted to comment on this. The difference between Joker to Hero and Terry to Byleth don't have the same momentum here as Min Min to Fighter #7.
To clarify: We knew about Joker in December 2018 and got him in April 2019, then waited two months and got both Hero and Banjo announced. The same goes for Terry; we had Terry released in November 2019 and Byleth released in January 2020, a two, almost three, month gap. Yes, Hero released almost four months after Joker was released and Terry was announced almost four months before Byleth was, but atleast we weren't in the dark for almost three-four months. The issue is that the lack of a fighter to look forward to bothers people, especially due to Byleth and Min Min "scarring" a bunch of people. Namely because we were in the dark for two months and then got an arguably lackluster pick like Byleth and then were thrown into the dark for 5 months without knowing who the next fighter was. Even the tease of the series didn't help because, while it narrowed it down, it didn't clarify anything of the specific character. My point is, I genuinely hope they don't wait to both release AND reveal the fighter in September, because if we look at current fighters:

Piranha Plant: (Announced 11/2018, Released 2/2019)
Joker (Announced 12/2018, Released 4/2019)
(Less than Two Month Gap)
Hero (Announced E3/2019, Released 7/2019)
Banjo (Announced E3/2019, Released 9/2019)
Terry (Announced 9/2019, Released 11/2019)
(Another Two Month Gap)
Byleth (Announced 1/2020, Released 1/2020)
(Five Months Later)
Min Min (Announced 6/2020, Released 6/2020)
(Now Back Into the Dark We Go)

See what I mean? The point that should be observed is that we almost always had a reveal to tide us over on what to expect next for most of the first pass, then a fighter would get released and one would get revealed to keep us on our toes. Heck, even Plant was sort of filler for Joker. Sure, Joker to Hero had a gap but we knew when they were probably going to drop something as E3 was a big obvious arrow. Terry to Byleth was also assumption based, but less predictable due to it being anytime before 2/2020, which is still pretty vague. Maybe I'm the only one who hates it but I really am not a fan of the whole "reveal fighter then release them one or two weeks later, then get left in the dark for months on end."

Like, just pull a Joker and give us a PROPER reveal, then let us simmer until August-September.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Everyone saying that everything is lining up real nice needs to remind themselves of the Grinch leak. The sprout item that leaked, the lack of Assist Trophies for Shadow and Isaac, the Ken leak—those all pointed in favor of the Grinch being real until we saw those gorram cat eyes in November.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Everyone saying that everything is lining up real nice needs to remind themselves of the Grinch leak. The sprout item that leaked, the lack of Assist Trophies for Shadow and Isaac, the Ken leak—those all pointed in favor of the Grinch being real until we saw those gorram cat eyes in November.
Not all of those things pointed to the validity of the Grinch Leak. People were curious as to why certain Assists hadn't been shown and were growing agitated and wanted to see who was assistified. However, the Ken leak happened long before the Grinch Leak; so any valid leak would've included Ken regardless because we unofficially knew he was in. There was also much debate over the sprout item and I believe it was debunked enough for it to not be counted with Isaac.

Basically, the only things that pointed to the Grinch Leak being legit was the Grinch leak itself. Strange coincidences happened around it which led many to believe in its validity (myself included), But we all knew there was a decent chance it was fake.

This 7/7/77/7/7 and Star Festival coincidence isn't even a "leak" that's begging for our attention (well, the 7/6 date listing sorta is but that's beside the point). It's literally a series of coincidences with no attachments that we are having a blast speculating about while knowing full well that it's most likely nothing.

Dates, an event, and numbers are hilariously lining up for it, but there's no leak here. There's no promise of any kind, nothing. Comparing it to the Grinch Leak is inaccurate as that was a false promise that bent a lot of coincidences into place (some of those coincidences I believe were Nintendo trying to avoid certain disaster, something which quickly proved unavoidable by the time they likely intervened).

This new series of coincidences? It's all in good fun, and it's quite a happy thing to think about and speculate about. It's all about having fun thinking about the crazy coincidences that have lined almost too perfectly for something that could be an amazing reveal, and you're not going to take that away from us.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Hello! Just coming from Doom's territory to say...

The theory seems kind of ****ing stupid, in my honest opinion, but it aligns so well with so many stuff, lmao.
It would be nuts if this thing turns out to be true.
I'll be laughing if it happens.
Best of luck today (or tomorrow), I'll be watching how things unfold :)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Best of luck today, everyone! :3

Funny thing, regarding the 7/7 for fun speculation, I was playing Katamari earlier today and remember that, counting Reroll as its' own entry, there are 7 main series Katamari games. The Prince of All Cosmos is heavily associated with space and rebuilds stars, along with other celestial bodies. Considering he and Geno are both space/star-related characters that server a higher power, they'd make for a very cool double-reveal!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Geez, based on some of the responses here, it looks like character 7 is going to be Captain Buzz Killington, whose final smash is the Killjoy Vacuum which sucks the fun out of harmless lighthearted discussion.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..Why am I getting the feeling that - even though nobody's treating this as some solid 'thing' that everyone believes - that if nothing Geno-related happens on 7/7 there's gonna be several people going "Hah, those stupid Geno fools set themselves up for disappointment"?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
..Why am I getting the feeling that - even though nobody's treating this as some solid 'thing' that everyone believes - that if nothing Geno-related happens on 7/7 there's gonna be several people going "Hah, those stupid Geno fools set themselves up for disappointment"?
Cause sadly there's unnecessary hatred towards a lot of fanbases. Geno one gets it way too often.

I mean, it's not that sometimes weird theories don't come up here once in a while, but yeish. :/

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If a Direct isn't announced today for tomorrow, than the anti Fatman clique from the Newcomer thread is probably going to come in here, fight Fatman and us saying how stupid it is in believing this 7/7 theory, and the mods will probably lock this thread up again.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If a Direct isn't announced today for tomorrow, than the anti Fatman clique from the Newcomer thread is probably going to come in here, fight Fatman and us saying how stupid it is in believing this 7/7 theory, and the mods will probably lock this thread up again.
...If(and key term if) people from that thread come on here, and I'm saying this as a serious point;

Then they'll get warned and the thread will move on anyway. If people from other sites/etc. start stuff, it's not really the thread's fault alone.

Keep in mind if the thread goes way out of control on both ends, a chance for a lock is possible. How people respond here is just as important as anyone coming into the thread. Everybody is privy to the same general rules of civil conduct, and all.

However we also have a lot of great people here who can easily be civil. And there's been enough previous posts that were warned to show how important it is to be respectful. So at worst maybe one or two people could take it too far from this thread, and I'm not thinking it'll happen in this case. Throughout this thread's history, many people made mistakes, but they've also matured as well. This thread has done nothing but get better in time. I've seen far less poor responses over something than there used to be. So I'm not even remotely worried a lock could happen. We're a cool group.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Good to see that people on the outside still treat lighthearted speculation as though we're cult-like fanatics, believing in only the immortal word of Geno. Jeezus. People like this need to take a good hard break.

Because Spirit fans in general, Geno, perhaps most of all fall under acceptable targets for the smash fandom, every move is scrutinized, every opportunity that doesn't work out is treated as a failure on our part, a flaw of character, serving only to be pointed at and ridiculed. It's kind of ridiculous if you really think about it. It's not that deep, fam.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Because Spirit fans in general, Geno, perhaps most of all fall under acceptable targets for the smash fandom, every move is scrutinized, every opportunity that doesn't work out is treated as a failure on our part, a flaw of character, serving only to be pointed at and ridiculed. It's kind of ridiculous if you really think about it. It's not that deep, fam.
I swear, the BestGuyEver Geno video is going to be a magnificent work of art.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
This whole 7/7 thing is entirely speculation, but I can’t help but think that Geno supporters get the most looks for even thinking that something could happen on a certain day. Does everyone remember when people thought Tracer was going to be in Smash just because OverWatch got leaked for Switch a few days before the actual announcement? Or when people thought Dante was going to be DLC #5 just because of a “special announcement” that happened to be on the same day as the Smash reveal? But then it turned out just to be something for the DMC3 port? Or that time when people thought Character #4 was going to be a female fighter with projectiles just from reading an absolutely baseless 4chan text post? I feel like people received almost no ridicule for thinking any of these things, but maybe I was on the wrong side of the internet or something. Either way, this obviously means Geno fans are absolutely crazy to expect something happening tomorrow, which half of them aren’t even putting full faith in, since the other smash fans never did that, right? /s
I’m hoping we get an announcement today for tomorrow, but even if we don’t I think Geno still has a good chance of being #7.

D

Deleted member

I guess you could call that Star Festival Thing something else I don’t think it was anything myself.

But hopefully we do get news soon.

With this rumoured Nintendo Direct Mini hopefully it’ll be here before we know it.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I wanted to comment on this. The difference between Joker to Hero and Terry to Byleth don't have the same momentum here as Min Min to Fighter #7.
To clarify: We knew about Joker in December 2018 and got him in April 2019, then waited two months and got both Hero and Banjo announced. The same goes for Terry; we had Terry released in November 2019 and Byleth released in January 2020, a two, almost three, month gap. Yes, Hero released almost four months after Joker was released and Terry was announced almost four months before Byleth was, but atleast we weren't in the dark for almost three-four months. The issue is that the lack of a fighter to look forward to bothers people, especially due to Byleth and Min Min "scarring" a bunch of people. Namely because we were in the dark for two months and then got an arguably lackluster pick like Byleth and then were thrown into the dark for 5 months without knowing who the next fighter was. Even the tease of the series didn't help because, while it narrowed it down, it didn't clarify anything of the specific character. My point is, I genuinely hope they don't wait to both release AND reveal the fighter in September, because if we look at current fighters:

Piranha Plant: (Announced 11/2018, Released 2/2019)
Joker (Announced 12/2018, Released 4/2019)
(Less than Two Month Gap)
Hero (Announced E3/2019, Released 7/2019)
Banjo (Announced E3/2019, Released 9/2019)
Terry (Announced 9/2019, Released 11/2019)
(Another Two Month Gap)
Byleth (Announced 1/2020, Released 1/2020)
(Five Months Later)
Min Min (Announced 6/2020, Released 6/2020)
(Now Back Into the Dark We Go)

See what I mean? The point that should be observed is that we almost always had a reveal to tide us over on what to expect next for most of the first pass, then a fighter would get released and one would get revealed to keep us on our toes. Heck, even Plant was sort of filler for Joker. Sure, Joker to Hero had a gap but we knew when they were probably going to drop something as E3 was a big obvious arrow. Terry to Byleth was also assumption based, but less predictable due to it being anytime before 2/2020, which is still pretty vague. Maybe I'm the only one who hates it but I really am not a fan of the whole "reveal fighter then release them one or two weeks later, then get left in the dark for months on end."

Like, just pull a Joker and give us a PROPER reveal, then let us simmer until August-September.
Yeah I guess it's a mixed bag. I just want to know something. Tbh when everyone else was whining about just knowing the ARMS franchise was next and not knowing the fighter, I was having the time of my life speculation-wise because there were so many possibilities. Even though that didn't sell me FP2, it was the most fun I've had in speculation since seeing the trailers for Joker and Banjo. I've mentioned before that it's likely that they (Nintendo) are wary of revealing fighters too early right now with the pandemic and everything in case there are unexpected delays. Sure they could reveal a fighter and not even list a date but then people would b**** and moan on every single Nintendo post saying "x character when?" And then what if that character is revealed with an expected 2 month wait for release and then unexpected delays happen? Of course they could have just revealed the whole line up to start which would be great for us but would not appease the hype-chasing (and missing) nature that Nintendo has adopted. They could reveal all franchises or reveal each franchise at a time, but people reacted poorly to the franchise reveal approach. Basically no matter what they do though people will find things to complain about and someone ends up unhappy, so I honestly do kind of understand them just being tentative and considering that there may be unexpected delays so waiting until characters are complete or near complete before reveals. And if there are third parties involved then I imagine it's not entirely up to Nintendo either. There's just so many moving variables it's hard to know what the best approach would be though it is pretty apparent that the current approach is not the best for fans who just want something to look forward to amidst raging world unrest.

Hello! Just coming from Doom's territory to say...

The theory seems kind of ****ing stupid, in my honest opinion, but it aligns so well with so many stuff, lmao.
It would be nuts if this thing turns out to be true.
I'll be laughing if it happens.
Best of luck today (or tomorrow), I'll be watching how things unfold :)
Oh yes 7 theory is absolutely stupid for sure. Unfortunately it's not stupid in the same way that Nintendo likes to be stupid. It's possible we are getting an announcement of some kind tomorrow but I am almost positive it won't be Smash. Personally it seems to me that people are way too overconfident in Geno as number 7 regardless, but hey...I don't think I've ever accurately predicting anything so...here's to being wrong. I'm just glad people are having fun and finding things to talk about even if outsiders might see it as more than just harmless dumb fun. At any rate, best of luck to you Doom Bros.

Good to see that people on the outside still treat lighthearted speculation as though we're cult-like fanatics, believing in only the immortal word of Geno. Jeezus. People like this need to take a good hard break.
*Looks up amidst a cult ritual* oh light hearted speculation not deer heart initiation...woops

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I will say I'll be surprised if we don't get a Direct before Origami King's release as it and Deadly Premonition 2 are the last Switch releases of major significance that we have release dates on and both of those are out in less than two weeks. Even with Nintendo's relatively thin PR this year, at that point where will be nothing to promote in the future; and continuous Mario Kart Tour announcements can only do so much.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyone know why this girl isn’t just possibly talking about something else other than a Direct when she said something should happen today, or if she even meant anything Nintendo related, for that matter? Just want to make sure.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Anyone know why this girl isn’t just possibly talking about something else other than a Direct when she said something should happen today, or if she even meant anything Nintendo related, for that matter? Just want to make sure.
Possibly, the first two dates she mentioned were Nintendo properties. So it would seem she has an in at Nintendo. And her latest tweets seem like they are in marketing. HOWEVER, this could all be for nothing and she just had some lucky guesses. It is entirely possible and should be taken with a grain of salt.

We will know one way or another today so expect nothing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Possibly, the first two dates she mentioned were Nintendo properties. So it would seem she has an in at Nintendo. And her latest tweets seem like they are in marketing. HOWEVER, this could all be for nothing and she just had some lucky guesses. It is entirely possible and should be taken with a grain of salt.

We will know one way or another today so expect nothing.
Oh, I am expecting nothing.

I always do.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We shall see if annything happens. If it does it does, if not whatever. I still think all these numbers are reaching more then MinMin, but who knows. Honestly i would expect crash as the E3 reveal(where fp7 would have normally been revealed), but i can see it being geno as well to celebrate this pass and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom