• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
As we have said before, we never took it seriously. It is just fun speculation, my dude. So...lesson not learned.
I argue that some here took it seriously.

Unless they are doing a mini direct out of nowhere (which is potentially true after all but I highly doubt) I think we are getting one on the 14th as a "last-minute add" for Paper Mario since that will release on Friday the same week or the beginning of August.

D

Deleted member

All these rumors throughout the months are getting more annoying than the fact we didn’t have a general direct in like 10 months.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I mean, they haven't tweeted anything at all. At least, not from what I'm seeing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Directs are usually announced 7-8 AM Mountain time, right? If so, the deadline has passed.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I argue that some here took it seriously.

Unless they are doing a mini direct out of nowhere (which is potentially true after all but I highly doubt) I think we are getting one on the 14th as a "last-minute add" for Paper Mario since that will release on Friday the same week or the beginning of August.
Majority I would say not taking it seriously and concede that some did.

The week of Paper Mario seems like a good spot, but it could very well be after on the week of the 20th.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Directs are usually announced 7-8 AM Mountain time, right? If so, the deadline has passed.
Whereas im not expecting anything, we need to stop with the time pattern thing. Nintendo hasn’t had a consistent announcement drop time for all of 2020

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't get why everyone is giving up on the 7/7 rumor just because of the Direct not being announced at 9:00 AM. Lately, Nintendo has been announcing stuff late at night so I wouldn't give up just yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
7/7 is just funny because it's just making some people absolutely seethe for no reason. "Guys, it's going to be WRONG™ and you're going to be DISAPPOINTED ™ and there's absolutely nothing worse in life than being WRONG ™ and DISAPPOINTED ™." It's made some people go Ultra Instinct Squidward in being a wet blanket and it's a big reason why /v/ gets dragged all the time.

Firox

Smash Master
Whereas im not expecting anything, we need to stop with the time pattern thing. Nintendo hasn’t had a consistent announcement drop time for all of 2020
Seriously. I can't remember the last time our "time pattern" predictions have ever panned out. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE for us to get some kind of announcement this week but I'll be genuinely amazed if we do. And I'm not even being cynical here. It's just realistic. We had Smash news just a couple weeks ago. This year hasn't given us any indication that they're going to start smothering us now.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey, easy there! I was just saying. Plus, we’ve not had a general Direct yet this year. Just because there have been no consistent announcement drops doesn’t mean the same will apply to general Directs.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
You'd think with E3 having been cancelled but Nintendo probably had plans for it, we'd get a big fat Direct soon. But Nintendo's been weird this year, so I'm not holding my breath

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You'd think with E3 having been cancelled but Nintendo probably had plans for it, we'd get a big fat Direct soon. But Nintendo's been weird this year, so I'm not holding my breath
Haven’t they always been weird? Maybe not as weird as now, but still...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey, easy there! I was just saying. Plus, we’ve not had a general Direct yet this year. Just because there have been no consistent announcement drops doesn’t mean the same will apply to general Directs.
You remember when Nintendo announced the Mini Direct back in March and dropped it right than and there that second without any of us preparing for it? I certainly remember. You can't predict what's going on in Nintendo's mind especially in 2020.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One way to look at is they have a consistent schedule, but it's simply different now due to the pandemic.

Or just that they don't have as easy sets of plans and have to change things as they come since other companies are also affected by the pandemic.

Worth keeping in mind that for insiders, their information often is outdated as is. Generally, dates are the hardest to pin down due to the immense amount of real life issues that happen. And that's not counting how often misunderstood information happens(I.E. mistaking the overall video footage you saw for something else. For instance, Imran Kahn noted that more than one person mistook a new game for FF15 among insiders. But it was definitely what they saw). So this isn't that unusual. Maybe there was actually something planned for the 7th at one point, but got changed. Or maybe it was mainly speculation based upon various data they have. It's hard to say these days. Insiders have speculated too. That's what happened to Brave at first, as many actually had no idea it was Hero and just thought it could be(which led to people mistaking what they said as actual leaked information, not speculation like they were doing).

Insider information gets awkward sometimes. Fatmanonice very often has speculations based upon information he knows, as he's not actually saying these are things that are happening but what he think could happen based upon the data he's seen before. Sure, he's made a lot of wrong guesses, but everyone has. That's just speculation as it is. Nothing strange about that, you know? (Think of it like this. Our speculation is no different. We have data we compile/know and figure out things from there. We call it right or wrong quite often too. There's really no difference beyond how we had gotten our information, after all).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You remember when Nintendo announced the Mini Direct back in March and dropped it right than and there that second without any of us preparing for it? I certainly remember. You can't predict what's going on in Nintendo's mind especially in 2020.
I wasn’t talking about that kind of shadowdropping, especially for Mini-Directs, so you know.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
7/7 is just funny because it's just making some people absolutely seethe for no reason. "Guys, it's going to be WRONG™ and you're going to be DISAPPOINTED ™ and there's absolutely nothing worse in life than being WRONG ™ and DISAPPOINTED ™." It's made some people go Ultra Instinct Squidward in being a wet blanket and it's a big reason why /v/ gets dragged all the time.
Like, when it boils down to it, the entire purpose of supporting and speculating about a character you like is being WRONG and DISAPPOINTED.....until one day you aren’t.

They cannot fathom that we choose to make this time fun for us, regardless of the outcome. They’d rather have us disappointed/expecting nothing for months and pretend that protects us from disappointment if things don’t pan out. I’d rather be excited for months and be bummed out for 30 minutes if he’s not in

IN

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Well, let this be a lesson for you all that some things are a coincidence and don't add up to anything.
Haven't been active in general for a while but I'd just like to say that pretty much no one was truly taking it seriously and even the ones that thought they were probably established that they just blindsided themselves. There isn't really any lesson to be learned when as said by people in 90% of the posts discussing the theory they all said it probably meant nothing. Heck, I assume you got hold of this rumour through the PapaGenos video and I was told he pretty much stated dozens of times that it was probably nothing and that he didn't believe it. Apparently he went as far as to literally wear a tinfoil hat. Either way, speculation shouldn't really lead to assumptions is the point im getting at and that's even more so the case when people write when even mentioning the name of it that they don't personally believe it

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
In fairness to Nintendo, it's probably been rough figuring out release dates this year. The lack of Directs is probably because of COVID, considering a lot of the things needed to release a game are manufactured in China. So they're dealing with two countries, China and Japan, that have to contend with the disease; maybe even more because I don't know if any other countries would be involved with making parts of game cartridges/packaging. Which in turn makes it hard to know if "insiders" are lying, or they had correct info but plans changed

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Still, Nintendo has been impossible to predict especially in 2020. We could literally see Geno announced at a random time on a random day without expecting it at all on said day.
Eh, I don’t think they will go far in terms of announcing character reveals. Nintendo wasn’t always easy to predict, anyways.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Live to read the condescending comments about a clearly stated tin foil hat theory. Thank god for those to keep our fun speculation in check.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like, when it boils down to it, the entire purpose of supporting and speculating about a character you like is being WRONG and DISAPPOINTED.....until one day you aren’t.

They cannot fathom that we choose to make this time fun for us, regardless of the outcome. They’d rather have us disappointed/expecting nothing for months and pretend that protects us from disappointment if things don’t pan out. I’d rather be excited for months and be bummed out for 30 minutes if he’s not in

IN
And yet another thing people don't get about this is that this has been part of the JOY (yes, joy) of being part of the Geno fanbase. All of us know that odds were incredibly stacked and why this fanbase has pushed so damn hard for years to change that. The whole point of the Geno campaign is to push a character that normally wouldn't even be on the radar for playable in Smash into becoming playable and that's why this fanbase's story is so incredible. He got acknowledged by Sakurai as early as Brawl and then successfully avoided being an assist trophy when a lot of fan favorites were made into them. He was a costume in Smash 4 but is still MIA when the axe was "supposed" to fall almost a year ago. That's why so much of the Geno fanbase is so adamant right because, after years of disappointment, things are very likely to pan out and there's way too many people that can't comprehend that this is largely because the Geno fanbase didn't let being wrong or disappointed in the past totally murder their morale and kept pushing despite it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That is kind of what I was saying. But 2020 has been nothing but disasters and curveballs left and right. Still, we shouldn't assume "If we don't anything at 9:00 AM, we are not going to hear anything today.".
W

We could hear something today, but I am not sure if it will be about a Direct. I am not even sure if the unpredictability of announcements will apply to general Directs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom