• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
GOOOOOD MOOOOOORNING SMASHBOARDS!!!! Just wanted to remind you that we are another day closer to 2B (Yes, THE 2B from THE Nier Automata) getting confirmed for Smash Ultimate! Make sure you save your tears for 2Bs inevitable confirmation!

>”B-BUT ITS IMPOSSIBLE, GENOPE IS A COMPLETE LOCK AT THIS POINT!!!!”
“No!”

YIKES!!! That is a LARGE assumption! Do we not remember that NINTENDO is choosing the DLC? The Square slot has been taken by yours truly! Why would they pass over one of gamings most BASED modern icons over someone who hasn’t made a major appearance in over 20 years? Not to mention, they finally got the rights to him, only to relegate him into a mere PNG! His ship officially sailed a long time ago! But feel free to continue your denial, your tears of disappointment will just be that much sweeter!
absolutely godlike post

This was literally his one and only message ever on this website, and he's been banned so there'll never be a second one.

Godspeed you beautiful *******.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

OffBi

Smash Ace
GOOOOOD MOOOOOORNING SMASHBOARDS!!!! Just wanted to remind you that we are another day closer to 2B (Yes, THE 2B from THE Nier Automata) getting confirmed for Smash Ultimate! Make sure you save your tears for 2Bs inevitable confirmation!

“No!”

YIKES!!! That is a LARGE assumption! Do we not remember that NINTENDO is choosing the DLC? The Square slot has been taken by yours truly! Why would they pass over one of gamings most BASED modern icons over someone who hasn’t made a major appearance in over 20 years? Not to mention, they finally got the rights to him, only to relegate him into a mere PNG! His ship officially sailed a long time ago! But feel free to continue your denial, your tears of disappointment will just be that much sweeter!
I'll just say this
Shut up cracker.jpg

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I mean, I feel like Nintendo's plan here was to try and hold people over until March like in 2018 with the mini direct, but the problem I feel is we just knew more about what was coming than we do now. I mean christ three of the big games people were talking about then (SMT V, Bayonetta 3, Prime 4) are still literal vaporware two years later and we have zero idea when any of them will come out. Not to mention that in comparison to the mini direct, which revealed a bunch of smaller titles and ports for early 2018 and 2019, what they revealed here is
  • Pokemon direct, revealing a cool remake of Mystery Dungeon but mostly focusing on an 30 dollar expansion pass to a game people are already divided on
  • Smash Direct, revealing Byleth, who leaves the general community...underwelmed at best, there's a reason the general defense is "get over it, atleast theres 6 more characters", so everyone just immediately went on to speculation to Pass 2, Byleth didn't really leave enough of an impact to quell the speculation at all.
  • Animal Crossing direct, which is their big early 2020 game but does nothing for people who aren't a fan of the series
And the only other games that seem to be coming out this year are Xenoblade, Mystery Dungeon, and potentially No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2, which may not even come out in 2020.
I agree. I feel like Nintendo probably classified the Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Smash Byleth reveals as the “replacement” for January 2018’s Mini Direct.

Although I wish we wouldve just got a mini this year, too. Pokemon was for a specific audience and Smash arguably revealed it’s most controversial character of all time, and again, AC is a specific audience. I don’t think Nintendo understands not everyone is a fan of Pokemon or Animal Crossing

MisterMike

Smash Champion

“No!”

>Using a dead meme in a weak attempt at trolling
I don't even think you tried at all.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
When there's active evidence against 2B (hello, Mai) and active evidence in favor of Geno, and you still say Geno's too irrelevant to get in while KKR, BK, and Simon+Richter Belmont are in the game.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
When there's active evidence against 2B (hello, Mai) and active evidence in favor of Geno, and you still say Geno's too irrelevant to get in while KKR, BK, and Simon+Richter Belmont are in the game.
I wouldn’t say there is active evidence against 2B if the exclusion of Mai is your only point.
I mean Mai was definitely designed as a sexualized character, her idle animations says it all. Covering her up in my opinion takes away from her initial design.

In comparison 2B is quite tame. Besides if that’s the case the amount of violence in Doom shouldn’t be overlooked by this thread either since both nudity and Violence require a similar degree of maturity that affect ESRB ratings.

I personally don’t think that reasoning is wrong. Geno is irrelevant in a # of ways. Overall though, I don’t think it will matter or prevent him from being added to the roster. If there’s been enough fan demand for him like a lot of you claim there is, that will probably be this character’s saving grace.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wouldn’t say there is active evidence against 2B if the exclusion of Mai is your only point.
I mean Mai was definitely designed as a sexualized character, her idle animations says it all. Covering her up in my opinion takes away from her initial design.

In comparison 2B is quite tame. Besides if that’s the case the amount of violence in Doom shouldn’t be overlooked by this thread either since both nudity and Violence require a similar degree of maturity that affect ESRB ratings.

I personally don’t think that reasoning is wrong. Geno is irrelevant in a # of ways. Overall though, I don’t think it will matter or prevent him from being added to the roster. If there’s been enough fan demand for him like a lot of you claim there is, that will probably be this character’s saving grace.
If anything, Sakurai did say he wanted Geno since Brawl, and if it still applies, it was because he thought Geno was cool.

So while it may be one other saving grace, fan demand may not be Geno's only saving grace here.

Firox

Smash Master

While I personally don't think 2B is coming, I have to agree with you that sexiness and violence are not really effective strikes against her. Her outfit can be easily sensored and violence is a completely moot point when you have Bayo and Snake in the game.

I also agree that relevance isn't a strike against Geno as long as the fan support is there. B-K will always stand as a shining example that being a third party, or even being direct competition, is not an insurmountable obstacle.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
While I personally don't think 2B is coming, I have to agree with you that sexiness and violence are not really effective strikes against her. Her outfit can be easily sensored and violence is a completely moot point when you have Bayo and Snake in the game.

I also agree that relevance isn't a strike against Geno as long as the fan support is there. B-K will always stand as a shining example that being a third party, or even being direct competition, is not an insurmountable obstacle.
To me, nothing is an insurmountable obstacle unless it is directly stated by the ones working on the game (Anime characters, anyone? Not a chance). The only ones making it seem insurmountable are the haters of the characters in question. That said, on the topic of non-video game characters, I wonder how many have detracted and said X video game character is coming while still rooting for a non-video game character to be playable in Smash Bros.?

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Personally I am hoping to see Geno from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven stars from the SNES; but that's just me I guess.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Oh I know it wasn't that big of a point, but it is still something that's potentially against her; there's still nothing suggesting 2B is getting in while there's quite a lot in favor of Geno right now and it's more than "just assumptions" like Arle from Puyo-Puyo was. Sakurai outright admitting he thinks Geno is neat and wanted him in since Brawl is just icing on the evidence cake. Irrelevancy/being a dead IP means literally nothing when we already have KKR, BK, Simon, Richter, Terry, older variants of Hero, and Dark Samus/Chrom (to lesser degrees than the others), and those are just newcomers to Ultimate. How anyone can think being irrelevant matters in the slightest, they must have brain damage to not connect the dots.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>someone quoted my post to use as a springboard to ****post on this website
504bb5a8a2f096c263e4ff49b49678f1fe9bf00a1ed8724f01d4c3e295abf882.jpg

For me, it's Geno.

link2702

Smash Champion
6 at PAX East ala Joker? I doubt it but could you imagine? Nintendo's giving a stage presentation on an already announced game and then OH ****, it's actually a Smash fakeout! That would be a hilarious way to kick off Season 2, especially if it was thematically jarring like it's a fake Animal Crossing trailer and then Dante busts in and fills Tom Nook with approximately 18,000 bullets before cutting him in half, unleashing a 30 foot spire of blood that soaks Isabelle, triggering her Ultimate Instinct mode and then killing Dante in retaliation with a high pitched sneeze that literally disintegrates him on a molecular level. That's right, bay-bee! ULTRA INSTINCT ISABELLE© is comin' ta Smash!
It’s official guys, the wait for geno has caused Fatmanonice to quite literally lose his mind.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If the mii costume leaker is legit then we’re in a really good spot right now. The only bad timelines we could be in for are:

1. The Mii Costume leaker was wrong about Mallow and Smithy costumes

2. Mallow, Smithy, and Geno are all Miis (seems very unlikely, why add so much SMRPG content if there’s no playable representative? People request for Geno in Smash, not a bunch of SMRPG mii suits)

If Geno wasn’t in, I feel like it would be just his costume coming back. No Mallow, no smithy

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, wait for tomorrow to see if a direct is happening this Thursday for Leap Year February, or it will begin on the First Week of March. Besides, there is the Animal Crossing NH and Doom Eternal coming soon on March 20. So, why not keep the mind away from Direct/Smash Thoughts for a good while.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It’s official guys, the wait for geno has caused Fatmanonice to quite literally lose his mind.
I dunno. Looking at Nintendo's presence at PAX is really weird. Aside from Animal Crossing, there's basically nothing new. There's stuff for Sword and Shield, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Smash and that largely seems to be the extent of Switch games unless they literally announce something at the show. There's also speenruns of a bunch of older Nintendo games but there's nothing on the schedule that outright suggests an announcement so it's kind of like... ****... We're waiting until mid March now, aren't we?

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

“No!”

Oh no, my one true weakness! Troll stan accounts ****ting on Geno! It can't be! AAAARRRGGGGHH

I... I can't. We've failed! All our efforts were in vain! Geno is irrelevant and dumb! He won't be in! Cacomallow is fake! The end is near! We'll have 2B prepared for the ensuing disappointment, no other choice. All hope is lost...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I dunno. Looking at Nintendo's presence at PAX is really weird. Aside from Animal Crossing, there's basically nothing new. There's stuff for Sword and Shield, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Smash and that largely seems to be the extent of Switch games unless they literally announce something at the show. There's also speenruns of a bunch of older Nintendo games but there's nothing on the schedule that outright suggests an announcement so it's kind of like... ****... We're waiting until mid March now, aren't we?
I don't think they would do a showcase at PAX east 2020 since NIntendo usually show all the upcoming games for a Spring Direct. PAX shows the games and upcoming ones, but not announcements.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think they would do a showcase at PAX east 2020 since NIntendo usually show all the upcoming games for a Spring Direct. PAX shows the games and upcoming ones, but not announcements.
That said, I think that if we do get a Direct this week, it won't have anything to do with PAX.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
To pile on this, there's also NO GOOD REASON, not a single one, as to why they're doing this. They're just getting more and more people upset that they're doing this. What is the point? Just push the direct already and you'd have a ton of happy people instead of angry ones.

Even if the direct is amazing, it's gonna feel like "ffs finally" instead of "OMG YAY", and that's never a good thing to do to people.

Dukefire

Smash Master
To pile on this, there's also NO GOOD REASON, not a single one, as to why they're doing this. They're just getting more and more people upset that they're doing this. What is the point? Just push the direct already and you'd have a ton of happy people instead of angry ones.

Even if the direct is amazing, it's gonna feel like "ffs finally" instead of "OMG YAY", and that's never a good thing to do to people.
Honestly, whether its a good or bad reaction. Its pretty much the people's own fault and actions that lead up to their blind reaction to the announcement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Huh? What post was that?
Not an important one, I assure you.

I am curious - people are kind of acting like Nintendo's announcement of being at PAX is a hindrance to a direct... has Nintendo announced or held directs that would otherwise conflict with a convention or an event?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly, whether its a good or bad reaction. Its pretty much the people's own fault and actions that lead up to their blind reaction to the announcement.
Yes, it is. The leakers leaking supposed Direct dates doesn't help along with people wanting a Direct so much. Either way, the people chose to believe it was coming that soon and got their own hopes high, some to unrealistic heights. Sure, they did not know it was not coming on those supposed dates, but they were in control of themselves. Nintendo did not even make the leaks the leakers made. The people just made themselves upset or angry at Nintendo about a Direct not coming yet.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The people just made themselves upset or angry at Nintendo about a Direct not coming yet.
Even if we had not even a single leaker saying anything, this has been way too long (6 months!) to have no Direct and be completely in the dark about future titles, outside of a few that are nowhere close to being released, and one in 4 weeks.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Even if we had not even a single leaker saying anything, this has been way too long (6 months!) to have no Direct and be completely in the dark about future titles, outside of a few that are nowhere close to being released, and one in 4 weeks.
I understand. However, that does not change the fact that it is the fault of the people themselves for expecting a Direct sooner than now in the first place. We don't even know when they started making the Direct, or if they started it at all. They could even be planning it at some point earlier. Whatever the case, they did not make the people do anything with their being quiet or what they are doing. Whatever was done in terms of whose fault it was, the people themselves were, and still are to blame. Plus, you can't really blame Nintendo for making people when not only did they not choose for the people to act like this, but that they did not say or even hint anything.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I understand. However, that does not change the fact that it is the fault of the people themselves for expecting a Direct sooner than now in the first place. We don't even know when they started making the Direct, or if they started it at all. They could even be planning it at some point earlier. Whatever the case, they did not make the people do anything with their being quiet or what they are doing. Whatever was done in terms of whose fault it was, the people themselves were, and still are to blame.
That still doesn't change the fact that we're still waiting on information of any kind. If any other major first party company pulled something like this, there's be torches and pitchforks by now. They teased people twice with the Pokemon and AC directs, which are very specialized. Also teased non-Smash fans with the (mediocre) Byleth reveal and breakdown video. Further teased people who want their favorite NSO games with an extremely weak 4 games pushed. They're actively choosing to upset the majority of fans instead of keeping them happy, which is never a good thing.

Plus, you can't really blame Nintendo for making people when not only did they not choose for the people to act like this, but that they did not say or even hint anything.
I... don't quite follow what you're trying to say here. I will however blame them for being silent about all this when, again, this has now become a matter of "ffs when is the direct" to "OMG A NEW DIRECT OUT OF NOWHERE, YAY!". Had they planned things better back in September, they could have revealed more 2020 titles and this wait wouldn't be nearly as bad, but outside of AC, we're left completely in the dark for the rest of the year and the date of this direct being completely shrouded in mystery for no apparent reason. It's already late as hell and now it might be even more late? I'm absolutely going to blame Nintendo for this, especially if they don't say something like "sorry the direct is taking so long because of the coronavirus" or something to that effect. We all understood the earthquake situation, but this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
A Direct yes will sate most of the audience after a half year wait on certain content. Just put out the patience for a little longer. Yes, I'm wanting a direct to show up, but I got other things to do besides thinking of the Direct and Smash Challengers.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That still doesn't change the fact that we're still waiting on information of any kind. If any other major first party company pulled something like this, there's be torches and pitchforks by now. They teased people twice with the Pokemon and AC directs, which are very specialized. Also teased non-Smash fans with the (mediocre) Byleth reveal and breakdown video. Further teased people who want their favorite NSO games with an extremely weak 4 games pushed. They're actively choosing to upset the majority of fans instead of keeping them happy, which is never a good thing.

I... don't quite follow what you're trying to say here. I will however blame them for being silent about all this when, again, this has now become a matter of "ffs when is the direct" to "OMG A NEW DIRECT OUT OF NOWHERE, YAY!". Had they planned things better back in September, they could have revealed more 2020 titles and this wait wouldn't be nearly as bad, but outside of AC, we're left completely in the dark for the rest of the year and the date of this direct being completely shrouded in mystery for no apparent reason.
Well, more power to you, but you're just setting yourself up for more future and potential disappointment. Just because there have been Directs around this time of year does not mean they'll happen at the same time or close to the same time every year. Plus, as far as I know, Nintendo never promised us anything. Why be mad at them when they did not promise anything about making a Direct around now when it was the people who were thinking it would happen? I never saw anything official from Nintendo saying they would make a Direct soon or even saying it will come eventually.

Don't act like they are obligated to do what the fans want or do what the fans think they will do, especially in every way.

link2702

Smash Champion
More was referring to how you’d like to see the dante revea-psychopath isabelle reveal.

Dukefire

Smash Master
would be better-suited for the Doomguy thread
More was referring to how you’d like to see the dante revea-psychopath isabelle reveal.
or a Doom Slayer isabelle reveal

Though for Doom Slayer's Reveal, I think Daisy should be a part of Doom Slayer's intro on his invitation to smash. (Also, his pet Rabbit is named Daisy. So why not him helping a Princess from the Demons of Hell)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well, more power to you, but you're just setting yourself up for more future and potential disappointment. Just because there have been Directs around this time of year does not mean they'll happen at the same time or close to the same time every year. Plus, as far as I know, Nintendo never promised us anything. Why be mad at them when they did not promise anything about making a Direct around now when it was the people who were thinking it would happen? I never saw anything official from Nintendo saying they would make a Direct soon or even saying it will come eventually.

Don't act like they are obligated to do what the fans want or do what the fans think they will do, especially in every way.
By no means do they have to do anything. Hell they can wait til E3 if they actually wanted to, but you have a season pass sitting here with the creator outright saying he apologizes for it being blind and not buy it unless you're fully confident in it (both times). You have a supposed lineup of games but keeping silent about it which means people have nothing to do but speculate on what it could be instead of talking about the game (and generating free marketing as a result). You have people upset at you for not revealing anything, and you don't seem to get anything from holding back said info.

A reminder that Nintendo is a for-profit company interested in making money, so what they're doing is actively against their goals, as a company. I never once said they have to do anything; they can choose to take the PR hit by keeping us in the dark until a major game is already finished and releasing the same week if they choose to, that's totally fine and on them. My whole point is that we have no information. Nothing. A direct in this quarter is exactly what they should be pushing to tell everyone "hey, here's our games for this year", since they didn't do that at all last year in September to showcase some 2020 games. If they actually don't do a Q1 direct, that means they're admitting they have nothing but AC for this entire quarter, and if they pushed the direct to April, well that's just silly since E3 is just around the corner, which means they're also saying "don't expect anything in Q2 either". Even if they have nothing to show for the first half of the year, they shouldn't be holding information on the second half. Again, getting people talking about your games leads to more free hype and marketing, which generally leads to better sales, which is the end goal of a video game company. It's in both our and their best interests to push information like this sooner than later, and they're already way beyond the "later" point.

TL;DR: Never said they're obligated to do anything, never said they promised us anything, it's just in both their best interest, and ours, as a company, for them to post information sooner rather than later, and at this point, it's well beyond 'later'.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Oh no, my one true weakness! Troll stan accounts ****ting on Geno! It can't be! AAAARRRGGGGHH

I... I can't. We've failed! All our efforts were in vein! Geno is irrelevant and dumb! He won't be in! Cacomallow is fake! The end is near! We'll have 2B prepared for the ensuing disappointment, no other choice. All hope is lost...
Sadly, after seeing this post, Sakurai pressed the "Remove Geno from Smash and add 2B instead" button on his computer. It's over, we lost :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom