• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hello GeGe supporters !
Am I the only one who don't really care about directs ? The only time I'm very interested on directs is during E3 season. I mean, the only thing I want from Nintendo as of now is Geno to be playable in Smash.....

well, maybe infos on No More Heroes 3 too... and a Waluigi game too... okay, I'd also like a new Wario Land game to be announced as well as a worldwide release of Persona 5 Scramble... and a Mario Sunshine remake...
It depends on what it is, really. The Animal Crossing Direct didn't really do much for me, Indie Worls are fun but nothing worth losing sleep over, and Pokemon Directs leave my contemplating life itself. But when a General or Smash Direct hits just right...
WhenTheGenoWhirlHitsJustRight.png

Mmmph, good stuff.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
With it just now turning Monday over on the east coast, we're officially back in potential Direct announcement time. These next three days are gonna be a ride and I'm excited that we could get an announcement today (for Tuesday or Wednesday), Tuesday (for Wednesday or Thursday), or Wednesday (for Thursday). Here we gooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

QQS

Smash Lord
Yes! There is no rule and the next reveal can be this week, next week, next month, single reveal, double reveal or at E3. The only thing I’m 100% sure is that Geno is joining the party after 24 years!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yes! There is no rule and the next reveal can be this week, next week, next month, single reveal, double reveal or at E3. The only thing I’m 100% sure is that Geno is joining the party after 24 years!
As much as I want Geno, this direct is so much more to me. If it's this week, that gives a huge amount of extra credibility behind Zippo (having perfectly nailed the AC direct's date of 2/20), and they've leaked a ton of stuff I really, really pray is true (like Paper Mario 3 and Metroid 5). Of course the DLC reveal is a big part of it too, but to just be given another (PROPER) PM... Eeeeeee I want that damn announcement already! DX

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Side-topic to the current one - and I know this has been discussed before - but with how much fan support and interest there is for Geno and SMRPG as a whole, and possibly depending on the reception to Geno when he gets released as DLC for Ultimate, do you think it's likely that Nintendo may negotiate with Squeenix to outright buy the rights to SMRPG since it is a Mario series game, so that they can start including Geno and Mallow and some of the more popular side-characters like Boshi in more games?

The prospect of being able to see Geno be a playable character in the next Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis - imagine Geno in a new Mario Strikers! - would be amazing, and if the reaction to Geno is super positive, I feel like Nintendo may go for it and be able to justify the cost in a corporate sense if it's guaranteed to make them money to have and use those rights for their own projects. It's not like Squeenix is using them at all
Maybe,but I kind of doubt it will happen any time soon.

Problem with SMRPG is that it’s not guaranteed to make them money. I believe the sales of their Mario rpg titles have declined over the years so it would be a bit of a gamble for them to purchase those rights.
They would be better off just collaborating with square under some sort of contract.

Unfortunately I have no idea on how much Nintendo spends on game development, they seem to be the only company that keeps that info under wraps.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I believe the sales of their Mario rpg titles have declined over the years
Yeah, it's almost like ruining two well-beloved series with awful decisions will upset people and not nearly as many people will buy bad games over good ones... You can bet your butt that Color Splash suffered greatly due to Sticker Star, and even worse because it too is a terrible game. Dream Team was also pretty bad and Paper Jam was very mixed.

Now if you return to the PM/M&L vibes that people actually enjoyed and loved, both series could easily recover and sell much better. 3 years later, the switch is still very RPG-starved (it has, what, NSO stuff and Octopath? Also Three Houses if that counts) and getting SMRPG on NSO + PM3 would definitely help that problem. Bravely Third (sorry, "Bravely Default 2") is also on the way.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's almost like ruining two well-beloved series with awful decisions will upset people and not nearly as many people will buy bad games over good ones... You can bet your butt that Color Splash suffered greatly due to Sticker Star, and even worse because it too is a terrible game. Dream Team was also pretty bad and Paper Jam was very mixed.

Now if you return to the PM/M&L vibes that people actually enjoyed and loved, both series could easily recover and sell much better. 3 years later, the switch is still very RPG-starved (it has, what, NSO stuff and Octopath? Also Three Houses if that counts) and getting SMRPG on NSO + PM3 would definitely help that problem. Bravely Third (sorry, "Bravely Default 2") is also on the way.
Was Dream Team that bad? I played it and thought it was very good, though maybe I got lost in a few levels and one was annoying for a bit (in that bright, cloud-city(?) level, whatever it was, including its bosses)...still, I think I enjoyed it almost as much as PiT and BIS. Didn’t play the original Superstar Saga, though I did enjoy the remake.

As for Paper Mario, yeah, I think I remember trying Sticker Star and not getting very far before becoming bored and maybe even a little disappointed, didn’t even reach the second area...at least, I think so, I believe I stopped wanting to play it; I never went back to it...didn’t really have a bad opinion of it, it was just, meh...I didn’t actually play any PM game before it, though, except for SPM (loved it) maybe a little of TTYD where I got to Hooktail and felt defeated (finally played through it and enjoyed it last year, still haven’t beaten the Shadow Queen...).

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Was Dream Team that bad? I played it and thought it was very good
The story and characters were just nonsense. "Pillow people"? Luigi constantly having random narcolepsy? Also the tiny mini-areas to explore really quick got extremely tedious and, dare I say it, tiresome. If you like it, that's totally fine, but it's not for everyone like the first 3 before it were.

still, I think I enjoyed it almost as much as PiT and BIS.
Hey, your opinion is your own and no one can take that from you, but I'm definitely going to disagree as I finished 3 games and didn't finish the last out of being so bored with it. BIS was amazing for me. PiT not quite as good as SSS/BIS but still a solid game.

For the record though, I will admit that Dream Team is a much better M&L game than SS/CS were PM games. I would gladly return to Dream Team in a heartbeat if I had to pick one of the three to play. I didn't hate DT, I just really disliked it. SS I outright despise and wish never existed. CS I've only seen but from what I've seen, I can safely say the same thing about it.

As for Paper Mario, yeah, I think I remember trying Sticker Star and not getting very far before becoming bored and maybe even a little disappointed, didn’t even reach the second area...at least, I think so, I believe I stopped wanting to play it; I never went back to it...didn’t really have a bad opinion of it, it was just, meh...
It was bad, so very bad. Especially after having Super PM not being an RPG before it, many of us were expecting a solid RPG entry, especially after being delayed quite a lot because it was "too much like Thousand Year Door". This is what we got instead. Hilarious that the man who says a delayed game is better than a bad one ended up ruining this one with its delays. Sticker Star falsely advertises itself as an RPG, except battles are POINTLESS and the optimal way to play it is to skip literally every optional fight since there's no benefit to fighting as you actively lose your attacks and items. Most idiotic system ever.

So what do they do after that colossal failure of a game? I KID YOU NOT, THEY DID IT AGAIN. Color Splash is basically the same thing. A bit better from what I hear, but still awful compared to the first two that everyone loves, complete with pointless battles and running out of attacks. Also prior to Sticker Star, all the paper jokes didn't exist, which honestly that comedy gets extremely tiresome and played out. It was just the art style and in a few specific cases, were some puzzles in the first two games. When every joke out of someone's mouth is a pun involving paper, getting wet, or being a sticker, I just want to break the game in half. That's not witty by any means, it's just obnoxious.

I didn’t actually play any PM game before it, though
Lord help you. I hope you corrected that mistake...

maybe a little of TTYD where I got to Hooktail and felt defeated (finally played through it and enjoyed it last year, still haven’t beaten the Shadow Queen...).
Okay good, you did, but man what an awful introduction to Paper Mario to have Sticker Star be your first. For the record, PM64 is exactly like TTYD, but not *quite* as good. But both are still extremely enjoyable games I will continuously go back to every so often, just like SMRPG (which I actually played a randomized run of literally today, haha).

except for SPM (loved it)
I think SPM is a good game if you just ignore that "Paper" part in the title. It's a bad Paper Mario game, but still solid overall. No plans to ever return to it though; I one-and-done'd it and that was more than enough for me.

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Here's a fun fact. Remember that sign in Super Mario 64 with the blurry text?

View attachment 263595

For years it's perplexed scholars and pre-teens watching SM64 videos from the late 2000s alike, and they've had several hunches on what it could possibly mean, but now with 2020 technology, we can finally decipher its meaning. Here's how it looks like in 4k quality:

Yep! They've been teasing us about Geno and Cacomallow even before Super Smash Bros was a thing. Amazing, ain't it?
They predicted the future, that an insider one day would reveal to us that Geno is coming..

amazing!

They are really on top of leaks lately.

Also I don't think anyone posted about it, but PapaGenos uploaded this around 6 or so hours ago, really early morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUc1-cleNl8

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
1582504623661.jpg

>tfw all deluxe mii costumes for the next few fighters are all indie reps, making us all assume Geno is safe until they reveal Geno is the final deluxe mii costume

I really hope nintendo isn't messing with us and will just deconfirm him already if he's not gonna be in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welp, looks like we’re waiting til next month for a Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Yo hold on guys, we have until this tuesday and wednesday until we can assume that there won't be a direct this month.
Plus, we also have until 10 am pst today!
Don't lose hope yet!

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Yo hold on guys, we have until this tuesday and wednesday until we can assume that there won't be a direct this month.
Don't lose hope yet!
They're waiting until e3 to get the gex costume just right.

D

Deleted member

Don't lose hope yet!
That’s true. We also have this afternoon as well if we take the AC direct announcement into consideration.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Don't lose hope yet!
10 AM PST? What makes you say that?

D

Deleted member

The story and characters were just nonsense. "Pillow people"? Luigi constantly having random narcolepsy? Also the tiny mini-areas to explore really quick got extremely tedious and, dare I say it, tiresome. If you like it, that's totally fine, but it's not for everyone like the first 3 before it were.

Hey, your opinion is your own and no one can take that from you, but I'm definitely going to disagree as I finished 3 games and didn't finish the last out of being so bored with it. BIS was amazing for me. PiT not quite as good as SSS/BIS but still a solid game.

For the record though, I will admit that Dream Team is a much better M&L game than SS/CS were PM games. I would gladly return to Dream Team in a heartbeat if I had to pick one of the three to play. I didn't hate DT, I just really disliked it. SS I outright despise and wish never existed. CS I've only seen but from what I've seen, I can safely say the same thing about it.

It was bad, so very bad. Especially after having Super PM not being an RPG before it, many of us were expecting a solid RPG entry, especially after being delayed quite a lot because it was "too much like Thousand Year Door". This is what we got instead. Hilarious that the man who says a delayed game is better than a bad one ended up ruining this one with its delays. Sticker Star falsely advertises itself as an RPG, except battles are POINTLESS and the optimal way to play it is to skip literally every optional fight since there's no benefit to fighting as you actively lose your attacks and items. Most idiotic system ever.

So what do they do after that colossal failure of a game? I KID YOU NOT, THEY DID IT AGAIN. Color Splash is basically the same thing. A bit better from what I hear, but still awful compared to the first two that everyone loves, complete with pointless battles and running out of attacks. Also prior to Sticker Star, all the paper jokes didn't exist, which honestly that comedy gets extremely tiresome and played out. It was just the art style and in a few specific cases, were some puzzles in the first two games. When every joke out of someone's mouth is a pun involving paper, getting wet, or being a sticker, I just want to break the game in half. That's not witty by any means, it's just obnoxious.

Lord help you. I hope you corrected that mistake...

Okay good, you did, but man what an awful introduction to Paper Mario to have Sticker Star be your first. For the record, PM64 is exactly like TTYD, but not *quite* as good. But both are still extremely enjoyable games I will continuously go back to every so often, just like SMRPG (which I actually played a randomized run of literally today, haha).

I think SPM is a good game if you just ignore that "Paper" part in the title. It's a bad Paper Mario game, but still solid overall. No plans to ever return to it though; I one-and-done'd it and that was more than enough for me.
I agree with all of the things said about Sticker Star, but Super Paper Mario is a great entry in Paper Mario and switching over to action RPG isn't anywhere near as much of a crime as people made it out to be at the time and still make it out to be at this day. It's a shame to think that if it hadn't been a Paper Mario title, people probably would have probably gone ape**** for it. Sticker Star and Color Splash, however, would have been bad no matter who was on the cover or what the title was. I don't know what they were thinking, but it wasn't anything good.

I think it's kind of weird that with all of this talk of Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario, Paper Jam hasn't been brought up... what happened, there? It came out to little fanfare around the time of Color Splash, and after Color Splash showing they'd learned nothing from the fans being disgruntled with Sticker Star, and with how bad Star Fox Zero was, I'd kind of given up on games at the time, but with how little I hear about it, it feels like everyone else did, too.

View attachment 263646

>tfw all deluxe mii costumes for the next few fighters are all indie reps, making us all assume Geno is safe until they reveal Geno is the final deluxe mii costume

I really hope nintendo isn't messing with us and will just deconfirm him already if he's not gonna be in.
Been feeling this way since Terry, if not shortly before - I've proven on multiple occasions that I have a poor grasp on time. The only thing any of us can hope for is that Sakurai is a man of his word, and when he says he doesn't like to string people along, he means it. I know there's a lot of folks who'd say "you're stringing yourself along, believing in crackpot theories", and if this were a case of paying too much attention to the set design in a direct again, I'd agree, but we're looking at pretty hard evidence. Geno's costume is missing despite having one really obvious chance to show up and six chances otherwise (I'm counting the bonus Mii costumes for pass purchase as a chance as well). He's missing alongside fellow fan favorite Lloyd Irving - it's not like Geno fans are even ignoring that fact. Something weird is going on with one or both of those costumes and if they come back as costumes, we got strung along, full stop.

Either way, as I have said in the past, if the costume returns, it's gonna be the same as Smash 4. None of this "deluxe" business. As a funny side thought, imagine being the guy who made that fake leak with the "premium" mii costumes, and your whole "leak" gets debunked in a matter of days from when you posted it, but everyone still starts calling these indie costumes "premium" or "deluxe". Would you consider that a win or what?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Welp, looks like we’re waiting til next month for a Direct.
As pointed out in PapaGenos video Nintendo has the biggest event space out of all the companies at PAX East. It seems really unlikely that all that space is going to be taken up by only New Horizons even with the full-scale display.

D

Deleted member

As pointed out in PapaGenos video Nintendo has the biggest event space out of all the companies at PAX East. It seems really unlikely that all that space is going to be taken up by only New Horizons even with the full-scale display.
They need that space for the line that they project will have at least 90% of the convention goers standing in it.

Nintendo needs to knock it off with bringing demos to events and just put them on the ****ing eshop already - they'd reach way more people and the advertisement is free.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
A slow day like today would seems like the perfect time to look back on the days not too long ago when I used to be the detractor. (Ignore that weird unnecessary comma there, it's already been established I was stupid back then lol)
1582556631020.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That may be true but considering AC is a huge game, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the only demo there.

D

Deleted member

A slow day like today would seems like the perfect time to look back on the days not too long ago when I used to be the detractor.
View attachment 263653
Let this be a public service announcement to all the Geno detractors out there - it's never too late to change your ways. Don't forget what Papa John said - the day of reckoning is coming.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Let this be a public service announcement to all the Geno detractors out there - it's never too late to change your ways. Don't forget what Papa John said - the day of reckoning is coming.
My journey went from:
Don't put Geno in, he's stupid dumb irrelevant puppet
To
Ok, he actually looks pretty cool and BtFM is a really ****ing good song. He's pretty much a lock for this game anyway so no use bellyaching over it
To
Well, I think he's basically deconfirmed at this point with a DQ character coming. At least I'll be able to have a nice costume for my Mii gunner, I guess
To
Oh those music take downs are interesting and HIS MII COSTUME DIDN'T COME BACK HOLY **** WE MAY STILL HAVE A CHANCE
To
THEY JUST ANNOUNCED MORE DLC, HE MAY BE ACTUALLY LIKELY NOW. This is when I really became much more vocal, active and obsessed in my support.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well. it may be too late for those at GameFAQs, anyway, if you know what I mean.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Yeah, there is no changing those losers.
Most will probably claim to love Geno after he's revealed, many will probably still hold on to their resentment because they're GameFaqs users. If Geno ends up being B tier or higher, they'll all hate him again because he's "broken" and "low IQ".

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, there is no changing those losers.
I guess you could say they already lost in a lot of things in life, even if Geno somehow doesn't get in this game. If that happens, those GameFAQs guys won't have won anything, while still looking like losers.

Firox

Smash Master
Morning, Everybody! Did I miss anything interesting? Any recent leaks or insider info I should know about? I see a lot of discussion about the PM series and Mario RPGs. For anyone that cares, I played Dream Team and thought it was OK. It was decently cool with all the Luigi dream-clone configurations and attacks but the overworld and general battle format didn't really turn me on in any kind of amazing way. I'd say it was a solid 7/10. Definitely worth a playthrough but nothing super memorable.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Most will probably claim to love Geno after he's revealed, many will probably still hold on to their resentment because they're GameFaqs users. If Geno ends up being B tier or higher, they'll all hate him again because he's "broken" and "low IQ".
Too late. By the time they claim to love Geno upon him being revealed, they will be known for bashing him from before already, and they will be hunted, tracked down and finally captured. :troll:

But seriously, they will still hate him on the inside and say they like him just to try and be cool.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, I also was once a detractor of Geno in Smash. I thought he was too niche of a character and it never had a chance of happening.

Somewhere along the line I deduced that none of that **** actually matters and fan support can be a huge boon for a character’s chances to get into Smash. I was let down by the Grinch leak, but now’s our chance for redemption.

I remember back when I was like 7-8, I watched newgrounds videos like Smash Kingdom, which featured Geno prominently. I remember thinking “who is this character and why are they so important”? Boy, how times change.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
What if they have a direct at Pax? Crazy I know, but why do they have such a huge booth with *NOTHING* to show at it right now? What are they gonna do? Show off the small stuff they already announced awhile ago? No there's no way that would hold up.

Something is being revealed this week. I don't know what but something. A lot of stuff. Big stuff like Fatman has been hinting at (and even PapaGenos did this morning; willing to bet he's heard the same nugget of info Fatman has).

Seriously, unless they're having a direct before pax, I really do think they'll be showing something at pax instead. You don't go for a huge booth if you have nothing to show for it.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What if they have a direct at Pax? Crazy I know, but why do they have such a huge booth with *NOTHING* to show at it right now? What are they gonna do? Show off the small stuff they already announced awhile ago? No there's no way that would hold up.

Something is being revealed this week. I don't know what but something. A lot of stuff. Big stuff like Fatman has been hinting at (and even PapaGenos did this morning; willing to bet he's heard the same nugget of info Fatman has).

Seriously, unless they're having a direct before pax, I really do think they'll be showing something at pax instead. You don't go for a huge booth if you have nothing to show for it.
Wait, what exactly did PapaGenos say this morning?

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Funnily enough, I also was once a detractor of Geno in Smash. I thought he was too niche of a character and it never had a chance of happening.

Somewhere along the line I deduced that none of that **** actually matters and fan support can be a huge boon for a character’s chances to get into Smash. I was let down by the Grinch leak, but now’s our chance for redemption.

I remember back when I was like 7-8, I watched newgrounds videos like Smash Kingdom, which featured Geno prominently. I remember thinking “who is this character and why are they so important”? Boy, how times change.
I remember (around the same age) I was watching some video about most wanteds for the 4th Smash (This was well before Smash for Wii U and 3DS were announced) and Geno was brought up and I had basically the same reaction you did to Smash Kingdom lol. I payed little to no attention to him for a while as I really only cared about getting Mewtwo back for most of Smash 4 lol.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wait, what exactly did PapaGenos say this morning?
He said because they have such a huge booth that they're about to show something off real soon, potentially something big. He sounds like he's making guesses, but he does have a handful of 1st and 2nd hand insider sources so I wouldn't be surprised if he knows more than he's letting in in the video.

Regardless, he makes a good point that I'll repeat again: Why have such a big booth with NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT? Seriously, they have nothing huge-booth-worthy revealed so far, so they obviously must be doing something. Maybe the Switch Pro? Maybe a ton of games? Maybe The Big One like Fatman has been dropping hints at this whole time? I have no idea, but there's a 0% chance we get literally 0 news by the end of Pax. There is no way in hell that will happen unless Nintendo wants to be chaotic evil and spend a lot of money just to swing their ***** around at pax with nothing to show. Why waste money on horrible PR?

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

And honestly? I really don't have much sympathy for Nintendo right now with their issues with leakers. Yea, it really sucks to have things leaked, but they have been so pointlessly secretive for the last few months that ironically leakers have been the only source reassuring fans that things exist for the Switch this year. I can't take their leaker outrage seriously when they have been dragging their feet so badly on releasing news. They retweet the VGAs, only to have 3 games shown, none of them first party. Then they go silent for almost two months after that before finally giving an AC direct less than a month before the game releases. And I bet PAX will also have barely anything. Basically, Nintendo has shown potential for big news and hints, and then defying expectations by having nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom