• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Come on buddy, don't be dishonest. Let's say Sakurai creates a really fun and unique moveset for a certain artificial being who can transform their bodyparts into artillery. However instead of giving it to Geno you get Kosmos instead. Bet you would love that huh? Characters are just functions after all and all that.
When it comes to the Smash fanbase, if chapped butts were candied nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Objectively still adding more Mario fighters within the DLCs isn't a totally good thing. I know Geno is wanted, but wouldn't call him "a better choice" in comparison of all the DLCs so far, maybe not plant piranha, but still.

Like said, I believe Geno would had fit better in either plant piranha or the base game if he successfully made it in this game. The main reason why people want him to be DLC is just wanting him, not because he fits in DLC.
I may have misspoken here. for I meant I know there are possibly better Mario picks than Geno, but Geno would probably please more people than other DLC characters like Byleth. Just saying.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I think the problem with Byleth is how boring (or virtually empty) their personality is. Having recently been through a 51 hour playthrough of the Golden Deer route myself VERY RECENTLY, I would have been happy for someone like any of the following instead:
- Raphael (jolly large doofy guy who just loves eating and building muscle mass. The "super-friendly dumb guy")
- Hilda (uses her charm to be lazy AF and have everyone else do her chores for her)
- Claude (sarcastic, fun, and funny guy who really cares about the people)
Plenty of others I could name, but instead we get the has-almost-0-voice-acted-lines, blank-canvas-boring-empty-personality protag, and I would argue Byleth is probably the worst case of these kinds of characters. Robin wasn't nearly as bad.

PS: Despite 51 hours of play, I had almost no feelings or attachment to Byleth, but absolutely did to the entire Golden Deer hours, plus a few of the others I recruited: Dorothea, Mercedes, Felix, Ashe, and Shamir. Byleth I just legit did not give a crap about despite me controlling them for many, many hours.

PPS: Just a reminder, I'm just disappointed over getting Byleth, not mad about it. Still thrilled to get 9 unique 3H tracks because the music is so goooooood.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
View attachment 258404
This would be it. Looks like Geno, but has the Mii Gunner move set, and comes with a single Forest Maze remix, added to the Mario songs.

Sadly, this is a very real possibility. If they thought Isaac fans would be satisfied with an AT there's a significant chance they might think Geno fans will be satisfied with this judging by the warm reception to Sans and Cuphead. Nintendo is simply clueless sometimes.
The difference is that Sans and Cuphead are indie characters that, while they did have sizeable support, were relatively niche, whereas Geno has had arguably as much fan outcry as the fan picks that made it in like Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie, and the Belmonts. And now that the ballot results are in, which is how we got these characters, they're probably well aware of Geno's support.

I mean, it's not like they brought back King K. Rool's Mii costume, added a Gang-Plank Galleon remix, and called it a day.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
View attachment 258404
This would be it. Looks like Geno, but has the Mii Gunner move set, and comes with a single Forest Maze remix, added to the Mario songs.

Sadly, this is a very real possibility. If they thought Isaac fans would be satisfied with an AT there's a significant chance they might think Geno fans will be satisfied with this judging by the warm reception to Sans and Cuphead. Nintendo is simply clueless sometimes.
This was always a possibility. It is not new.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Objectively still adding more Mario fighters within the DLCs isn't a totally good thing. I know Geno is wanted, but wouldn't call him "a better choice" in comparison of all the DLCs so far, maybe not plant piranha, but still.

Like said, I believe Geno would had fit better in either plant piranha or the base game if he successfully made it in this game. The main reason why people want him to be DLC is just wanting him, not because he fits in DLC.
Like I said, he doesn’t fit the fighter’s pass style.

It’s going to be sad if he ends up as an upgraded Mii Costume in Sora’s pack or something but it’s a tragic possibility, as much as we all hate to admit.

The difference is that Sans and Cuphead are indie characters that, while they did have sizeable support, were relatively niche, whereas Geno has had arguably as much fan outcry as the fan picks that made it in like Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie, and the Belmonts. And now that the ballot results are in, which is how we got these characters, they're probably well aware of Geno's support.

I mean, it's not like they brought back King K. Rool's Mii costume, added a Gang-Plank Galleon remix, and called it a day.
The idea that only niche indie characters can get upgraded costumes is also a fan rule.

D

Deleted member

It’s going to be sad if he ends up as an upgraded Mii Costume in Sora’s pack or something but it’s a tragic possibility, as much as we all hate to admit.
Pretty sure a stage, music tracks, costumes, and a spirit board wouldn’t be too much trouble compared to Waluigi.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

He can easily fit the style. He has plenty of stage opportunities and character to use as spirits, so I don't get where you are getting this idea from.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I don't see how he doesn't fit when Ultimate uses as much of his world as it did Byleth's save for two spirits.

Waluigi could fit, too, even if the majority of Mario is already represented. Just use some unused stuff. Sakurai may not change his mind on sticking to new worlds, but he very well could; he could do whatever. But people try so hard to stick with patterns based on what a fellow human being is "probably" thinking.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

*clears throat, taps chalkboard*

I think, if Byleth has shown us anything, it’s that the Fighters Pass has no rules.

Did your game just come out or come out 20 years ago?
Have you been in 1 game or 50?
First or Third party?

Doesn’t matter

As long as you aren’t Goku
There is no style, no logic, no patterns.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
He can easily fit the style. He has plenty of stage opportunities and character to use as spirits, so I don't get where you are getting this idea from.
Sakurai making a completely retro-fitted Mario RPG stage to the already enormous list of Mario stages does not seem that likely at all

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If they thought Isaac fans would be satisfied with an AT there's a significant chance they might think Geno fans will be satisfied with this judging by the warm reception to Sans and Cuphead. Nintendo is simply clueless sometimes.
But there's context there. Sans and Cuphead had like no chance in hell being a playable character. No one expected them to get in. The fact that they got anything is huge for indies like those.

Geno was in the first Super Mario RPG (literally titled that) and has already been in Smash twice now (via a Mii Costume in Sm4sh and a Spirit in Ultimate), Sakurai has even stated that he thinks Geno would be a really cool playable character, and IIRC, he was supposed to be in back in Brawl but it simply didn't happen or something(?). That's a much different case from someone like Cuphead who is an indie out of nowhere.

There is no style, no logic, no patterns.
Is it bad that my first thought when I read this was: "There is no style, there is no grace. Sakurai has a funny face."?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakurai making a completely retro-fitted Mario RPG stage to the already enormous list of Mario stages does not seem that likely at all
We just got another Fire Emblem stage when we had plenty of Fire Emblem stages(And a good one at that). I don't see how it being old is a problem either.

D

Deleted member

People said that 1st party DLC is not likely.
People complained that Fire Emblem got too much representation and yet here we are with a DLC pack. You’re getting a bit too pessimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I say this as truthfully as I can: I would prefer nothing else Geno-related added to the game over a Mii costume, even if it comes with a song or two. I know that seems like a ****ty attitude, but it's just how I feel. Mii costumes feel like slaps in the face (especially THIS late to bringing him back instead of like, back at E3 with SE's DLC pack with Hero).
I agree with you, if they can't give us the real deal then don't give us nothing at all. i rather have Geno being a simple PNG spirit than being a miserable Mii Costume as a consolation prize

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I agree with you, if they can't give us the real deal then don't give us nothing at all. i rather have Geno being a simple PNG spirit than being a miserable Mii Costume as a consolation prize
Even if it'll be a really well-made costume (like Sans and Cuphead), I'd still be super upset. I'd rather the costume just be gone.

That’s the exact opposite of bad
Nooo, don't encourage me! D:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
So... Who are everyone's picks for this 2nd pass (Of course, besides Geno) and why?
Here's my list:

- Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney Series): Where do i begin here? A character with a great potential of a moveset, awesome music, and a long history with Nintendo. Also from one of my favorite videogame franchises as you can see.

- Shantae (Shantae): Same as above, her transformation skills could be interesting to see implemented in Smash.

- Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu (Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone Series): Probably most of you don't really know them, and you could say they are too niche, but they could represent Bandai Namco. Also they could be implemented like the ice climbers since the mechanic from their games is in pairs, with a fighting style consisting of 3 swords (blazing, lightning, and ice blades), 2 guns (a shotgun and a magnum) and magic (from Xiaomu's part). If you don't know about their franchise you should give it a try, since it's a RPG crossover between Bamco, Capcom, Sega and even Nintendo at some point, and most of the games are on the 3DS, have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8xhVsSKxY

- Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari Series): She hasa lot of support, and i believe she could bring something new in Smash with Magic and Puzzle Skills. Also, more female representation?

- Mach Rider (Mach Rider): An interesting retro-pick for the Pass, i think he (or she) would be cool to see in smash

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I checked the reply and I think I only mean not fitting in "DLC slots", not "in Smash fights".

On the other hand I wouldn't think "fighter potential" is a definite standard. It's more just a fan speculation since at this point we'd never knew Geno would become an official pick. In some ocassions the actual picked fighters don't do as same as what fans speculated, for example.

Geno was in the first Super Mario RPG
Again, I don't think that justifies the fact he cannot make further influencce as his own character to Mario series. If Nintendo do want to make Mario RPG as part of their main presentation of this franchise, they should execute it in general Mario games first, which is still quite a controversy today.

As for here, I'm more inclined to think Geno is mentioned only because of people's interest in him, not because he actually weighs much in Nintendo's viewpoint.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That’s when we thought there was a chance for bonus characters. Now there is a very slim chance and if it happens it will be AFTER 2021
And, praytell, how does there being no bonus characters like Piranha Plant hurt Geno's chances? No matter if you consider him first or third party, Byleth shows that anything goes in that department. Your crux in this argument is the Mii costume, but as Dynamic Worlok Dynamic Worlok points out it being brought back was always a possibility and it doesn't really hurt his chances as they stand now.

And again, we've already proven there's potential for stages, spirits. etc.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I¨m just gonna leave these here instead of write a big wall of text
Literally what does this prove? All I see are you posting characters who got in when they all had a reasonable chance to get in.

Banjo fits Fighter Pass style so much better than Geno.

We’re already done with the first pass and almost every fan rule is still on the table and being pushed by every detractor. It’s looking very bleak when the only rule that’s been broken is no first parties and such rule was broken by another Fire Emblem character.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
- Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney Series)
Already said this earlier, but the amount of amazing alts you could have if you had Maya as a Rosalina & Luma situation:
- Phoenix & Mia
- Phoenix & Pearl
- Edgeworth & Gumshoe
- Edgeworth & Kay Faraday
- Apollo & Athena

That right there could be 6 of the 8.

Again, I don't think that's a thing to justify the fact he isn't one the most significant Mario characters. If Nintendo do want to make Mario RPG as part of their main presentation of this franchise, they should execute it in general Mario games first, which is still quite a controversy today.
Oh I never said he was one of the most significant, but there aren't too many more Mario characters to add unless Sakurai wants more joke picks like Piranha Plant. Waluigi is the only major character I can immediately think of that should already be in.

Goooooood. Let the DK Rap flow through you
PS: The "funny face" of Sakurai is definitely this one.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I got an interesting thought exercise: If Geno were in FP2, what would be his unique mechanic? Joker has his Persona, with his "counter" move simply filling up more of the Persona Meter; the Heroes have numbered Mana and a whole wide range of spells to use; Banjo and Kazooie has their unique B-Up and an on-demand Invincibility Charge; Terry has his super moves at 100% Damage and his Directional Inputs; and Byleth has spears, axes, and bows to represent all of Fire Emblem's weapon classes outside the sword and magic.
Everyone always defaults to timed hits, but this is a mechanic that could come with other Mario rpg reps as well if they were to come. Something unique to Geno would be essentially different movesets with 2 different "stances" if you will: armed and unarmed stance. One moveset is more glass cannon rushdown and the other is more ranged poking. This would be more appropriate for Geno and make more sense for him imo. But I think Geno whirl would still have some kind of timed hit mechanic.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Speaking of, when is FP2 supposed to be pre-purchaseable?
On the 28th, alongside Byleth.

Right, but the point remains that Sakurai could add a Fire Emblem character that has a special feature where, everytime you win a match with them, you dry orgasm so hard that you see God's face and he personally tells you the Meaning of Life® and most of the Smash fanbase would still hate them.
What would it feel like to dry orgasm, and how is that different from a normal one?

View attachment 258404

But if that's their angle, what's been stopping them from including that with any other fighter? Why haven't they been doing that with all of the other 3rd party costumes instead of just bringing them back as is?

When it comes to the Smash fanbase, if chapped butts were candied nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
Dude I love candied peanuts. I had a few of those over the holidays, they were really good.

Exactly, and Sakurai is well aware how popular Geno is, notably amongst boomers older people. At this stage in the game, him being an upgraded costume a la Sans Undertale and Cuphead Cuphead would be unthinkable.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Imagine thinking that with everything Geno has going for him, he’d get relegated to Mii Costume status when Square Enix, a known business (those usually enjoy making money), could actually make more with a full fighter’s pass. $.75 or $5.00 when they literally don’t have to lift a finger seems to be an easy decision.

Also, don’t come at me with the whole “well, why wasn’t Geno in 4/earlier in development?” nonsense. Cloud and Hero are bigger icons that would honestly both make more money than Geno. And Smash 4’s DLC was already almost over before we knew about Cloud and Geno. Sakurai probably negotiated for Geno’s spirit in Ultimate in case he couldn’t get him for DLC, which seems to be SquEnix’s big thing considering the rumor that Cloud may not have been base game originally.

Now that Season 2 exists, there’s more money on the table, so it’s ignorant to think that Square wouldn’t be back in line for seconds as long as they can. And Nintendo made the “list” for Pass #1, so maybe that’s why Hero was in it. He was technically promoting Dragon Quest XI, so Geno wouldn’t really be a top pick for Nintendo or Square in the situation.

Seriously, some of this just takes some good old fashioned rational thinking and understanding the things that companies will probably do. Not saying this is certain, but I do find it somewhat likely.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
how does there being no bonus characters like Piranha Plant hurt Geno's chances?
Like said, objectively Geno isn't an appropriate for DLCs in comparison to the base game. And it'd probably be more beneficial to have Geno over plant piranha in the base game then add a new franchise rep in the upcmoing DLCs, which is also a win-win situation to fans here.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This idea doesn't really have any substance, but if fatman is correct about the next fighter, I think String Bean Man could come with like, an indie spirit board. I dunno why, it just feels some what fitting to me.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Imagine thinking that with everything Geno has going for him, he’d get relegated to Mii Costume status when Square Enix, a known business (those usually enjoy making money), could actually make more with a full fighter’s pass. $.75 or $5.00 when they literally don’t have to lift a finger seems to be an easy decision.

Also, don’t come at me with the whole “well, why wasn’t Geno in 4/earlier in development?” nonsense. Cloud and Hero are bigger icons that would honestly both make more money than Geno. And Smash 4’s DLC was already almost over before we knew about Cloud and Geno. Sakurai probably negotiated for Geno’s spirit in Ultimate in case he couldn’t get him for DLC, which seems to be SquEnix’s big thing considering the rumor that Cloud may not have been base game originally.

Now that Season 2 exists, there’s more money on the table, so it’s ignorant to think that Square wouldn’t be back in line for seconds as long as they can. And Nintendo made the “list” for Pass #1, so maybe that’s why Hero was in it. He was technically promoting Dragon Quest XI, so Geno wouldn’t really be a top pick for Nintendo or Square in the situation.

Seriously, some of this just takes some good old fashioned rational thinking and understanding the things that companies will probably do. Not saying this is certain, but I do find it somewhat likely.
All wishful thinking. Nothing of this proves that Geno can’t be just an upgraded Mii Costume, and Nintendo will be like “OMG GAIZ Itz what U WANTED Right?!?!”

D

Deleted member

Literally what does this prove? All I see are you posting characters who got in when they all had a reasonable chance to get in.

Banjo fits Fighter Pass style so much better than Geno.

We’re already done with the first pass and almost every fan rule is still on the table and being pushed by every detractor. It’s looking very bleak when the only rule that’s been broken is no first parties and such rule was broken by another Fire Emblem character.
Looks like we found our new Wynn everybody.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Like said, objectively Geno isn't an appropriate for DLCs in comparison to the base game. And it'd probably be more beneficial to have Geno over plant piranha in the base game then add a new franchise rep in the upcmoing DLCs, which is also a win-win situation to fans here.
After Byleth, I don't think any of this stands so much anymore. Fire Emblem isn't new after all.
All wishful thinking. Nothing of this proves that Geno can’t be just an upgraded Mii Costume, and Nintendo will be like “OMG GAIZ Itz what U WANTED Right?!?!”
You can't exactly prove your point either. There is nothing saying he would be upgraded to a costume, by this logic, right?

D

Deleted member

Kind of weird you all of the sudden becoming pessimistic because the FP is not going your way. You also made a nitpick that Geno would not be in a Fighters Pass even though we literally got a Fire Emblem pack. There is nothing that will prove Geno will be an upgraded Mii costume either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
*points at Byleth, a character that had significantly less support all around and is a franchise many Smash fans are sick of seeing*

If we didn't get Byleth revealed, I might have agreed with you, but them being revealed alone just makes me disagree. While I do think Geno would have been better as bonus freebie DLC, I disagree with saying he'd be a bad DLC pick. I mean come on. Terry got a spot, and many people are still asking who the heck he is months later.

If Sm4sh didn't have a costume, I would be more accepting and understanding. If they did it twice in a row, that's just a slap in the face.

"We wanted to give fans of the character something" Yeah that works the first time. It doesn't work twice in a row.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom