• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
*points at Byleth, a character that had significantly less support all around and is a franchise many Smash fans are sick of seeing*

If we didn't get Byleth revealed, I might have agreed with you, but them being revealed alone just makes me disagree. While I do think Geno would have been better as bonus freebie DLC, I disagree with saying he'd be a bad DLC pick. I mean come on. Terry got a spot, and many people are still asking who the heck he is months later.
After Byleth, I don't think any of this stands so much anymore. Fire Emblem isn't new after all.
Note that I said "best situation". Not that the addition of Byleth has nothing controversial, neither are we open to see more unwise decisions from this game.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Like said, objectively Geno isn't an appropriate for DLCs in comparison to the base game. And it'd probably be more beneficial to have Geno over plant piranha in the base game then add a new franchise rep in the upcmoing DLCs, which is also a win-win situation to fans here.
How is Geno not appropriate for DLC objectively? It can't be because he's considered a first party, because Byleth disproves that, and when Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise it doesn't make sense to say it'd be overrepresented if Geno is added, especially with how unique he is. I mean, that didn't stop Byleth if we're going by that logic. I really just don't understand your point.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
All wishful thinking. Nothing of this proves that Geno can’t be just an upgraded Mii Costume, and Nintendo will be like “OMG GAIZ Itz what U WANTED Right?!?!”
We're all very aware he could be a costume, but there's no reason he can't be a full character, either, contrary to what some people say regarding Sakurai's "new worlds" comment as if 2 spirits is actually using SMRPG's world and not just two characters from it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Something to consider for the future btw: If Doomguy is DLC 6 and the Cacodemon hat gets put in that same pack, that's gonna skyrocket Geno's chances.

I have literally no attachment to Doom/Doomguy (Doom's still on my backlog of "games I need to play at some point"), but I want him purely to boost Geno's chances. Weird how Doomguy and Geno of all characters are linked via that Caco/Mallow leak, two characters no one would ever think to see together.

Do I think that leak's real? TBH I don't really know. Probably not knowing my luck but I can always dream, can't I? Plus it still has yet to be disproven, though the more DLC we see, the more likely it's fake. I probs won't think twice about it if Doomguy isn't DLC 6.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
How is Geno not appropriate for DLC objectively? It can't be because he's considered a first party, because Byleth disproves that, and when Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise it doesn't make sense to say it'd be overrepresented if Geno is added, especially with how unique he is. I mean, that didn't stop Byleth if we're going by that logic. I really just don't understand your point.
As I already said it's objectively not a good decision, along with plant piranha that already happens in an earlier time.

Using controversial decisions to justify and other more controversial request is not really a good attitude. Asking the best for the game and make proper critiques should be fans' best attitude. That's how I view the thing.

Of course I wouldn't just the flagship theory to justify either more Fire Emblem, Pokemon or Mario DLCs, at least not like fans of other series have to swallow it. I'm supportive the support for Geno here, however that doesn't say we should ignore the potential obstacles out there and make the discussion further unrealistic.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Literally what does this prove? All I see are you posting characters who got in when they all had a reasonable chance to get in.

Banjo fits Fighter Pass style so much better than Geno.

We’re already done with the first pass and almost every fan rule is still on the table and being pushed by every detractor. It’s looking very bleak when the only rule that’s been broken is no first parties and such rule was broken by another Fire Emblem character.
It proves that pretty much nothing is impossible with him

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For the sake of Hmmms, here's the entire history of General Q1 Directs:

2012- February
2013- January, February, and April (damn...)
2014- February
2015-January and April
2016- March
2017-April
2018- March
2019- February

Last January General Direct was 2015 and months haven't repeated since 2014. Year to year, Q1 Directs change about a month, going "up" and then "down" starting in 2016. January 2017 had the Switch launch presentation so the pattern seen here makes sense. With this also in mind, March has had the least amount of General Directs.

Other food for thought: Gap between second half of the year and first half of the year General Direct:

2013- 2 months
2014- 2 months
2015- 2 months
2016- 4 months
2017- 7 months (4 if you count the Switch launch presentation)
2018- 6 months
2019- 5 months
2020- 5 months and counting

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About the Cacodemon and Mallow Mii costomes, after being made, how long before these costumes usually release? Because Sakurai may work on these costumes alongside the fighter and stage; and if he was not working on even Doomguy on Geno a few Fighters Pass characters back late last year when the CacoMallow costumes were "leaked", and is working Geno and Doomguy now, that means those costumes leaked were not made by Sakurai by the time they were "leaked" and first shown late last year; so I am thinking the CacoMallow leak has a high possibility of being fake somehow.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Or C, no costume and they just forgot. Somehow. With people asking for Geno.

There's no point to hold onto the costume this long, esp when we already got a SE rep they could have pushed him with. As TerminalMontage said: "HE'S GONNA BE IN".
The very thought makes me angery so I made a thing but in ms paint cause angery
1579308235213.png

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Something you guys discussing fan rules just reminded me of: Not only will we never have to hear "Sorry, no first parties in Smash" the fan rule of "No previously represented franchises as DLC" went out the window too. Because you just know if it were a first party character people would have still brought up that second rule if the series hadn't been in Smash before. At this point literally the only rule that people can hold onto is "muh spirits" and even that feels like a rule made to be broken eventually.

About the Cacodemon and Mallow Mii costomes, after being made, how long before these costumes usually release? Because Sakurai may work on these costumes alongside the fighter and stage; and if he was not working on even Doomguy on Geno a few Fighters Pass characters back late last year when the CacoMallow costumes were "leaked", and is working Geno and Doomguy now, that means those costumes leaked were not made by Sakurai by the time they were "leaked" and first shown late last year; so I am thinking the CacoMallow leak has a high possibility of being fake somehow.
Costumes for miis are very different than and likely take much less time to develop than actual characters. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but If I remember correctly Sakurai said during an interview that it takes about 9 months to completely develop a character. Realistically I'd imagine mii costumes likely take only a fraction of the time to make than a full character, music, cgi trailer etc. The team working on mii costumes is probably also separate from those making full characters. So it's very possible that the mii costumes for 6 and 7 have already being worked on hence why video of them could have been recorded. Also, Just because we got a 12 second video of cacomallow doesn't mean it was completely finished and ready for customers to use.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
He didn't became a new Wynn, it's just that Smithy corrupted him and made him lost faith in our boy
Nah, he’s right, i’ve become the new wynn.

I blame the style of Fighter’s Pass 2 for that. It sucks.

Can’t wait for them to reveal another Joker-style modern character to lead it off, said character I likely won’t give a crap about.

This time I probably won’t buy the Fighter’s Pass early. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
One thing that I'm really glad this fighters pass did was filling the stages with characters from the series/games they come from and I think this trend will continue. So here's a little fun challenge for all of you: If you had to choose 10 NPCs and 5 bosses from Super Mario RPG to appear as stage cameos, who would they be?

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
For the sake of Hmmms, here's the entire history of General Q1 Directs:

2012- February
2013- January, February, and April (damn...)
2014- February
2015-January and April
2016- March
2017-April
2018- March
2019- February

Last January General Direct was 2015 and months haven't repeated since 2014. Year to year, Q1 Directs change about a month, going "up" and then "down" starting in 2016. January 2017 had the Switch launch presentation so the pattern seen here makes sense. With this also in mind, March has had the least amount of General Directs.

Other food for thought: Gap between second half of the year and first half of the year General Direct:

2013- 2 months
2014- 2 months
2015- 2 months
2016- 4 months
2017- 7 months (4 if you count the Switch launch presentation)
2018- 6 months
2019- 5 months
2020- 5 months and counting
What is your opinion on character announcements and actual releases? Do you feel it will be dragged out till the end of 2021? Or do you think they could get through them sooner? Given how at one point they were ahead of schedule during the first Fighters Pass. I know this development cycle will most likely be different, but I wanted to get your input

Polarthief

Smash Lord
About the Cacodemon and Mallow Mii costomes, after being made, how long before these costumes usually release? Because Sakurai may work on these costumes alongside the fighter and stage; and if he was not working on even Doomguy on Geno a few Fighters Pass characters back late last year when the CacoMallow costumes were "leaked", and is working Geno and Doomguy now, that means those costumes leaked were not made by Sakurai by the time they were "leaked" and first shown late last year, so I am thinking the CacoMallow leak has a high possibility of being fake.
I don't know, but let's assume Doomguy and Geno were slated for DLC 6 and 7. There's a good chance around that time that those characters have been worked on around then, and the Mii costume stuff was already done (since it takes way less resources and time) and they were just being tested while the characters are still being developed. At this point, DLC 6 (Doomguy) would be nearing completion (probably enough to reveal the character but not show much of a gameplay video), and DLC 7 probably not ready to show yet.

Something you guys discussing fan rules just reminded me of: Not only will we never have to hear "Sorry, no first parties in Smash" the fan rule of "No previously represented franchises as DLC" went out the window too. Because you just know if it were a first party character people would have still brought up that second rule if the series hadn't been in Smash before. At this point literally the only rule that people can hold onto is "muh spirits" and even that feels like a rule made to be broken eventually.
I don't feel like Spirits = can't be a character should even be considered. That was likely done for "characters that can't get in the base game/FP 1".

The only true rule at this point is "must be primarily a video game character", which was the argument against Goku, as despite being a "video game character" too, he's first and foremost an anime character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As I already said it's objectively not a good decision, along with plant piranha that already happens in an earlier time.
I don't see what is "objective" about it though.
Strange to say to some, but Byleth was overall a net gain for Geno in this regard. Many fan arguments against him just went up in smoke.

Can’t wait for them to reveal another Joker-style modern character to lead it off, said character I likely won’t give a crap about.

This time I probably won’t buy the Fighter’s Pass early. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
We havn't even seen what fighter pass two's style is going to be beyond it having one more character. Byleth is still fighter pass one after all.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know, but let's assume Doomguy and Geno were slated for DLC 6 and 7. There's a good chance around that time that those characters have been worked on around then, and the Mii costume stuff was already done (since it takes way less resources and time) and they were just being tested while the characters are still being developed. At this point, DLC 6 (Doomguy) would be nearing completion (probably enough to reveal the character but not show much of a gameplay video), and DLC 7 probably not ready to show yet.
That is pretty much why I asked "after being made, how long before these costumes usually release?" If they were already worked on, than even with what I said, the leak should be okay. I am not sure on if Sakurai has been working on the second fighters' pass the same time as he was working on the first one. As for the CacoMallow costumes, and all I just said, I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

Damm man, i understand that you didn't like the decisions made for the Fighters Pass but you shouldn't make a 180 turn and be so pessimistic about Geno's chances. in fact you should be happy that his costume didn't came back at all so that must mean that something is going on with Geno

Polarthief

Smash Lord
That is pretty much why I asked "after being made, how long before these costumes usually release?" If they were already worked on, than even with what I said, the leak should be okay. I am not sure on if Sakurai has been working on the second fighters' pass the same time as he was working on the first one. As for the CacoMallow costumes, and all I just said, I guess we'll have to just wait and see.
Yeah I have no idea, but if the character is already decided, they could whip up some Mii costumes pretty quickly.
If DLC 6 isn't Geno or Doomguy, I would consider the leak nigh-guaranteed dead though, as that's way too much time IMO.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With all these fan rules broken, It seems Sakurai is much more flexible in terms of rules determining who gets in than people think. Beyond extremely flexible, in fact. Why don't more people realize this?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Using controversial decisions to justify and other more controversial request is not really a good attitude. Asking the best for the game and make proper critiques should be fans' best attitude. That's how I view the thing.

Of course I wouldn't just the flagship theory to justify either more Fire Emblem, Pokemon or Mario DLCs, at least not like fans of other series have to swallow it. I'm supportive the support for Geno here, however that doesn't say we should ignore the potential obstacles out there and make the discussion further unrealistic.
But you haven't said WHAT makes Geno and Piranha Plant makes them "objectively bad choices" for DLC. That's my problem.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One thing that I'm really glad this fighters pass did was filling the stages with characters from the series/games they come from and I think this trend will continue. So here's a little fun challenge for all of you: If you had to choose 10 NPCs and 5 bosses from Super Mario RPG to appear as stage cameos, who would they be?
I don't think I can name 10 NPC's(That is quite a lot), but I can see characters like Gaz, Frogfucius, Jinx, Johnny, Crocco, Belome, Boshi, and any memeber of the Smithy Gang.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah I have no idea, but if the character is already decided, they could whip up some Mii costumes pretty quickly.
If DLC 6 isn't Geno or Doomguy, I would consider the leak nigh-guaranteed dead though, as that's way too much time IMO.
Come to think of it, wasn't the second pass decided and laid out around last E3? I mean, if so, looks like I could be wrong, provided that Sakurai was working on pass 2 the same time as pass 1 in its later development. There could still be a chance this leak was correct, and someone somehow got hold of that leak.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Damm man, i understand that you didn't like the decisions made for the Fighters Pass but you shouldn't make a 180 turn and be so pessimistic about Geno's chances. in fact you should be happy that his costume didn't came back at all so that must mean that something is going on with Geno
In a way, that's even more scary.

Imagine how toxic the detractors will get if he is revealed as an upgraded Mii Costume at the very very end.

The Smash fanbase is just ****ing awful. **** that "hoes mad" ****. God damn.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, let's speculate. Development typically takes a year. SMRPG costume leak happened in mid July suggesting the info was from June/July and Cacomallow happened in early November. This means 4 to 5 months into a hypothetical Geno development. Given the simplicity of Mii costumes compared to, say, a stage or a full fledged character, I don't think it would be unusual for Mii costumes to exist at this point.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

Bruh, calm down. It's okay to be pessimistic and even angry but you're not really helping anyone at this point. Take a break if you need to, I think we've all had the wind knocked out of us.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Imagine how toxic the detractors will get if he is revealed as an upgraded Mii Costume at the very very end.

Well. at least this forum is good. I think that Byleth reveal got straight through your head. You probably should have been more careful with your expectations. Either way, maybe you'll heal some from this over time. I mean, is still early in time since Byleth was revealed.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Dude, I think you are letting this fear take too much control over your reasoning. Geno is not in a bad spot and there are certainly no signs that what you fear is going to happen right now.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Dude, I think you are letting this fear take too much control over your reasoning. Geno is not in a bad spot and there are certainly no signs that what you fear is going to happen right now.
As someone who has anxiety, this sort of thing happens. After one bad thing happens, you feel as if all your fears are reaffirmed and everything that can go wrong will.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, let's speculate. Development typically takes a year. SMRPG costume leak happened in mid July suggesting the info was from June/July and Cacomallow happened in early November. This means 4 to 5 months into a hypothetical Geno development. Given the simplicity of Mii costumes compared to, say, a stage or a full fledged character, I don't think it would be unusual for Mii costumes to exist at this point.
No need to comment much. Talking to Polarthief aside, I just remembered that Nintendo and Sakurai may have decided on DLC for Pass 2 since E3 of last year. If true, I think that may help in the leaks factor, if you know what I mean.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As someone who has anxiety, this sort of thing happens. After one bad thing happens, you feel as if all your fears are reaffirmed and everything that can go wrong will.
Yeah, I can get that as well.

I know Byleth isn't what many people wanted(They were not high on my list, but I am still moderately pleased), but they are not an ending blow to Geno and may in fact prove to help Geno speculation wise in the future. I think there is much to look forward to in Geno's future.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
No need to comment much. Talking to Polarthief aside, I just remembered that Nintendo and Sakurai may have decided on DLC for Pass 2 since E3 of last year. If true, I think that may help in the leaks factor, if you know what I mean.
It does make sense tbh. Mewtwo had a full on model before Smash Wii U even came out and still took months to come out afterwards and when ya think about it, Mii Costumes are just models and not much else lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom