• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I believe with these six fighters in the second fighter's pass, if this is a small chance nonetheless, Sakurai can still redeem himself, for a lack of a better word, in the eyes of some fans by adding better picks. Hopefully, one of them will be Geno.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I get being unhappy with Byleth, but after Ridley, and K. Rool; then in the DLC he added Joke, Dragon Quest, Banjo and Kazooie, and Terry. Sure, there was definitely Sakurai bias at play, but I'm dumbfounded at how many people are acting like he personally spited the fanbase. C'mon guys, we can disapprove of Byleth without throwing literally the entire fighter's pass out.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I get being unhappy with Byleth, but after Ridley, and K. Rool; then in the DLC he added Joke, Dragon Quest, Banjo and Kazooie, and Terry. Sure, there was definitely Sakurai bias at play, but I'm dumbfounded at how many people are acting like he personally spited the fanbase. C'mon guys, we can disapprove of Byleth without throwing literally the entire fighter's pass out.
I have to agree. Byleth is just one character. It's not like Sakurai did not add those other characters at all. And people were happy with characters like Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool and Ridley, and they were very happy. Why let one character change that to being negative with Sakurai and the game?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not enough people include Isabelle tbh. Isabelle kinda had about equivalent support

D

Deleted member

Lol geno isn't going to happen, after this god-awful pass and how it ended, and looking at the roster and how sakurai acts. The next pass is going to be ****, like Joker/Belch ****. It's going to be filled with nobodies no one wants but that egotistical manic that is ****kurai.

God I ****ing hate him as a director, he's the literal WORST kind for this type of game; A director who only does what he wants and ignores the fans. People buy this game/dlc, why the **** can't he build the DLC around OUR wants, not his?

If any other company made a game like this, and completely ignored fan requests, it would flop. Look at Playstation allstars, the main reason it flopped was because of this **** roster. The only reason this game lived on after melee is because it's a Nintendo game.

God ****ing damn it, this roster is just pure garbage. They held a damn ballot for no reason.
Wow. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Have many people decide to leave the forums for different lengths of times each since yesterday morning? Because it feels like this thread took a really big hit from Byleth being revealed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Have many people decide to leave the forums for different lengths of times each since yesterday morning? Because it feels like this thread took a really big hit from Byleth being revealed.
Don’t know. Still seems like there’s more people in here than usual.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
As much as I dont want/care for Byleth, I've grown to accept him.

Sakurai gave us every returning character, plus Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Banjo, and Isabelle. Why would I care if he added a character he personally wanted in the game when he gave us fans so many gifts?

I.D.

Smash Lord
If Blythe wasn't a Fire Emblem character, people would be losing their goddamn minds with joy because with a sword, bow, lance, and ax, he's by far the coolest ****in' swordsman we've gotten so far.
Yeah probably. Could have made something cool with that moveset, like a Monster Hunter. Instead we get 8th FE character.

T2by4

Smash Lord
>Always saw geno as this Bad-A warrior the likes the mario world has never seen before
>Mfw a good portion of artists turn him into a cutesy babeh

Feels indifferent ngl fam.
EKUr_UDXsAEQdlQ.jpeg

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
As much as I dont want/care for Byleth, I've grown to accept him.

Sakurai gave us every returning character, plus Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, Banjo, and Isabelle. Why would I care if he added a character he personally wanted in the game when he gave us fans so many gifts?
I think it's because it's DLC and people who own the FP have already pre-paid for them without knowing/you do end up having to pay extra. If Byleth was in base, I feel like the sting/backlash would be lessened. Still bad (because Ree Another FE), but lessened a bit, at the very least because you didn't have to pay extra for them.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
How is it looking likely he's an enhanced Mii costume? We've, so far, only gotten 2 Mii costumes with music and both of them were indies, and only came with one music track (if the copyright is to be believed, then we're getting 2 tracks with Geno). Also, I doubt either Sora nor 2B are coming to Smash. Sora will always be held back by his Disney status even if licensing isn't the issue (I just don't think anyone wants to see Mickey Mouse get plastered all over the game) and Sakurai literally even called out massive Twitter campaigns to bug him to put a character in Smash (by the time of recording, that whole Sora incident on Twitter was around a month prior at the longest). Seeing as how Sakurai couldn't put Mai in the background of a stage due to CERO, I doubt he'd be able to get someone like 2B as a playable character. Bayonetta's different though, it was still easy to heavily tone her down with the simple fix of making her clothes stay on even when she uses her hair attacks (unlike in the Bayonetta games), with that, she's like 90% less sexual already. They also clearly at least wanted to add one longtime fan request to the fighter pass (that being Banjo), Geno is one of the few remaining longtime requests that hasn't made it in yet.
Not only all of this, but this recalls something that bugs me..

All these people saying Geno is merely a fan request and were cynical when it started to become apparent that 2 if not 3 or 4 of the pass were "Sakurai pics"...it sometimes feels like people forget the bit about Sakurai himself wanting Geno in. Terry Joker and even arguably Byleth to some extent are bones thrown to Sakurai to varying extents.

Geno ticks the boxes of everything here; a long LONG time fan request...and a Sakurai pick.

If Fatman's metaphor about a "drunken shopping spree at 3am" holds true for this pass, Geno is the top shelf bourbon that made you go online drunk in the first place lol

I'm an optimistic, but yeah I'm here til the last drop falls.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think it's because it's DLC and people who own the FP have already pre-paid for them without knowing/you do end up having to pay extra. If Byleth was in base, I feel like the sting/backlash would be lessened. Still bad (because Ree Another FE), but lessened a bit, at the very least because you didn't have to pay extra for them.
That's why I never bought the FP. Sakurai gave a warning on buying it, making it clear all the characters would not be revealed for a while, so it's 100% the consumer's fault for buying it if they are that upset you know? They knew when buying it they could end up disappointed, but still bought it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Don’t know. Still seems like there’s more people in here than usual.
I don't know, seems like there isn't many here as usual. Maybe many of the regulars here have left and that's that?

That said, how would you all feel if Geno was last in the second Fighter's Pass, after a long time from now?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
That's why I never bought the FP. Sakurai gave a warning on buying it, making it clear all the characters would not be revealed for a while, so it's 100% the consumer's fault for buying it if they are that upset you know? They knew when buying it they could end up disappointed, but still bought it.
Oh for sure, but it's still disappointing to have to pay extra for a character that people don't want.

I'm not mad about buying the FP day 1 by any means, but it is something to think about. The DLC should be to make as many people as possible happy so they're satisfied with their purchase/will want to purchase the next DLCs or the next FP. I'm not trying to sound entitled or anything but I almost feel like Byleth should have been a "post-FP DLC" freebie that's free for a limited time (like Piranha Plant was) and not tied to the FP. That would have made their reveal less like "it's taking an FP slot" and more like "they're an extra like Plant was and Sakurai just really wanted them in".

Regardless, I'm satisfied with FP1 and will be pre-purchasing FP2 day 1 as well because Sakurai and the team behind the game deserve it. I'm fine spending over $100 on Smash because they worked their asses off in making an amazing game and still continuing to deliver more characters that people have only dreamed of seeing.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I got an interesting thought exercise: If Geno were in FP2, what would be his unique mechanic? Joker has his Persona, with his "counter" move simply filling up more of the Persona Meter; the Heroes have numbered Mana and a whole wide range of spells to use; Banjo and Kazooie has their unique B-Up and an on-demand Invincibility Charge; Terry has his super moves at 100% Damage and his Directional Inputs; and Byleth has spears, axes, and bows to represent all of Fire Emblem's weapon classes outside the sword and magic.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I got an interesting thought exercise: If Geno were in FP2, what would be his unique mechanic? Joker has his Persona, with his "counter" move simply filling up more of the Persona Meter; the Heroes have numbered Mana and a whole wide range of spells to use; Banjo and Kazooie has their unique B-Up and an on-demand Invincibility Charge; Terry has his super moves at 100% Damage and his Directional Inputs; and Byleth has spears, axes, and bows to represent all of Fire Emblem's weapon classes outside the sword and magic.
Timed hits. Enough said.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not only all of this, but this recalls something that bugs me..

All these people saying Geno is merely a fan request and were cynical when it started to become apparent that 2 if not 3 or 4 of the pass were "Sakurai pics"...it sometimes feels like people forget the bit about Sakurai himself wanting Geno in. Terry Joker and even arguably Byleth to some extent are bones thrown to Sakurai to varying extents.

Geno ticks the boxes of everything here; a long LONG time fan request...and a Sakurai pick.

If Fatman's metaphor about a "drunken shopping spree at 3am" holds true for this pass, Geno is the top shelf bourbon that made you go online drunk in the first place lol

I'm an optimistic, but yeah I'm here til the last drop falls.
Welp, we’re a bit far away from knowing Geno’s fate, but getting closer and closer. The returning costumes will continue to drop having 7 remain. Power of 2 continues to trend having 2 returning costumes to a pack. Worst case scenario that somebody like 2B comes along with Geno and Chocobo. Best case scenario that he’s playable.... I think he’s gonna be playable.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Speaking of, I don't know if it just got buried in the salt/disappointment of yesterday, but that's a really good point I'm surprised people aren't talking about here more. If Geno is indeed coming in Volume 2 (and I think he's got a great shot to be this Volume's Banjo lol), then we're getting a Super Mario RPG stage. There's no room for individual DLC now unless Sakurai pulls something crazy and just drops an additional fighter (which I really do not expect).
Which is why there's a high chance he could come as an upgraded costume.

One of the best things Geno had going for him for post-pass DLC was that there were no rules. Now there is rules. The fighter must come with a stage and spirits. I get that some people here have had some good spirit and stage ideas, but that doesn't mean these ideas are necessarily likely going off of what Sakurai has done in the past.

And for the people saying i'm bummed because of Byleth, no. I'm bummed because the fighter pass style really does not bode well for a lot of characters I was hoping for.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Timed hits

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh for sure, but it's still disappointing to have to pay extra for a character that people don't want.

I'm not mad about buying the FP day 1 by any means, but it is something to think about. The DLC should be to make as many people as possible happy so they're satisfied with their purchase/will want to purchase the next DLCs or the next FP. I'm not trying to sound entitled or anything but I almost feel like Byleth should have been a "post-FP DLC" freebie that's free for a limited time (like Piranha Plant was) and not tied to the FP. That would have made their reveal less like "it's taking an FP slot" and more like "they're an extra like Plant was and Sakurai just really wanted them in".

Regardless, I'm satisfied with FP1 and will be pre-purchasing FP2 day 1 as well because Sakurai and the team behind the game deserve it. I'm fine spending over $100 on Smash because they worked their asses off in making an amazing game and still continuing to deliver more characters that people have only dreamed of seeing.
Speaking of, when is FP2 supposed to be pre-purchaseable?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Timed ****in' Hits, baybeeeeee. How would it work? No clue. Probably similar to directional inputs (and we all know how much people hate those), like all special attacks would share a small cooldown and at specific moments you'd have to press the button to do extra damage or knockback or somethin', idk. It'd probably be more rhythm-based to work in a (non-)fighting game instead of an RPG.

Also do they necessarily need a new mechanic? I would argue Terry and Byleth have nothing "new". Terry is basically Ryu/Ken directional inputs + Little Mac's KO meter. Byleth has... ... 4 weapons. That's not a mechanic unless I missed something.

Speaking of, when is FP2 supposed to be pre-purchaseable?
The same day as Byleth's release: January 28 (11 days!).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A timing mechanic. For example, landing attacks like the Geno whirl at the right time will do lots of damage and potentially KO opponents.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Warning Issued
I mean... Look at assist trophies. Like half those guys are characters with sizeable fanbases. Same premise. It's not that Sakurai doesn't care but they can't accommodate everyone.

Piss off with that stupid saying. Yes, you can't please everyone, but you sure as **** can please the VAST MAJORITY OF US. They had a ballot to choose characters from, but clearly threw that in the trash. SO yes, it is that ****kurai doesn't care. If he cared we wouldn't have gotten bleh as a character. If he cared then most of this roster wouldn't be complete trash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah probably. Could have made something cool with that moveset, like a Monster Hunter. Instead we get 8th FE character.
Right, but the point remains that Sakurai could add a Fire Emblem character that has a special feature where, everytime you win a match with them, you dry orgasm so hard that you see God's face and he personally tells you the Meaning of Life® and most of the Smash fanbase would still hate them.

D

Deleted member

Piss off with that stupid saying. Yes, you can't please everyone, but you sure as **** can please the VAST MAJORITY OF US. They had a ballot to choose characters from, but clearly threw that in the trash. SO yes, it is that ****kurai doesn't care. If he cared we wouldn't have gotten bleh as a character. If he cared then most of this roster wouldn't be complete trash.
I’m so sorry there was a character you want that didn’t get in.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am now, while still optimistic about Geno, kinda skeptical about how Sakurai will include him. At this rate, if he has not heard our cries in wanting Geno, and if it becomes late in Fighters Pass 2, I think he may simply add Geno as a Mii costume again.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
57a898aeb2bd2.jpg

This would be it. Looks like Geno, but has the Mii Gunner move set, and comes with a single Forest Maze remix, added to the Mario songs.

Sadly, this is a very real possibility. If they thought Isaac fans would be satisfied with an AT there's a significant chance they might think Geno fans will be satisfied with this judging by the warm reception to Sans and Cuphead. Nintendo is simply clueless sometimes.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm the kind of guy who wants to buy every character regardless of who they are so I don't really have a horse in the "Keeping the Fighters Pass secret" race. Not going to say weather it's shady or not, but to everyone who bought the Fighters Pass and are think they wasted money on Byleth, it's hard for me to believe you preordered the pass and didn't see this as a possibility.

I also want to say it's valid to not like a character or only buy DLC characters that interest you: it's your money so you should spend it as you please. Just don't be an ass about it and you're good.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Which is why there's a high chance he could come as an upgraded costume.

One of the best things Geno had going for him for post-pass DLC was that there were no rules. Now there is rules. The fighter must come with a stage and spirits. I get that some people here have had some good spirit and stage ideas, but that doesn't mean these ideas are necessarily likely going off of what Sakurai has done in the past.

And for the people saying i'm bummed because of Byleth, no. I'm bummed because the fighter pass style really does not bode well for a lot of characters I was hoping for.
I mean, I am pretty sure the ideas we have had fit what Sakurai has typically done. There is plenty to take from SMRPG.

Plus, if we are gong to go by the "rules", it is highly likely that promotional costumes are just for indie or new faces, not an upgraded Mii costume.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I am now, while still optimistic about Geno, kinda skeptical about how Sakurai will include him. At this rate, if he has not heard our cries in wanting Geno, and if it becomes late in Fighters Pass 2, I think he may simply add Geno as a Mii costume again.
I say this as truthfully as I can: I would prefer nothing else Geno-related added to the game over a Mii costume, even if it comes with a song or two. I know that seems like a ****ty attitude, but it's just how I feel. Mii costumes feel like slaps in the face (especially THIS late to bringing him back instead of like, back at E3 with SE's DLC pack with Hero).

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Right, but the point remains that Sakurai could add a Fire Emblem character that has a special feature where, everytime you win a match with them, you dry orgasm so hard that you see God's face and he personally tells you the Meaning of Life® and most of the Smash fanbase would still hate them.
Sir I must say how much I envy and enjoy your ability to turn a phrase.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Come on buddy, don't be dishonest. Let's say Sakurai creates a really fun and unique moveset for a certain artificial being who can transform their bodyparts into artillery. However instead of giving it to Geno you get Kosmos instead. Bet you would love that huh? Characters are just functions after all and all that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I say this as truthfully as I can: I would prefer nothing else Geno-related added to the game over a Mii costume, even if it comes with a song or two. I know that seems like a ****ty attitude, but it's just how I feel. Mii costumes feel like slaps in the face (especially THIS late to bringing him back instead of like, back at E3 with SE's DLC pack with Hero).
Yeah, I honestly would not be upset, but some others here would. At least Geno would be in the game in some forum and may spread awareness to others on who he is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Come on buddy, don't be dishonest. Let's say Sakurai creates a really fun and unique moveset for a certain artificial being who can transform their bodyparts into artillery. However instead of giving it to Geno you get Kosmos instead. Bet you would love that huh? Characters are just functions after all and all that.
Pretty sure KOS-MOS and Geno have very different aspects to said artillery, especially in how they could be used mechanically to represent the character. Geno has times hits after all.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I believe with these six fighters in the second fighter's pass, if this is a small chance nonetheless, Sakurai can still redeem himself, for a lack of a better word, in the eyes of some fans by adding better picks. Hopefully, one of them will be Geno.
Objectively still adding more Mario fighters within the DLCs isn't a totally good thing. I know Geno is wanted, but wouldn't call him "a better choice" in comparison of all the DLCs so far, maybe not plant piranha, but still.

Like said, I believe Geno would had fit better in either plant piranha or the base game if he successfully made it in this game. The main reason why people want him to be DLC is just wanting him, not because he fits in DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom