• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
My predictions:

Bethesda Rep
Geno
A BotW Champion
BAMCO Rep
Urshifu
Master Chief

(not in that order)

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Then why even give us the costume in Smash 4, the spirits in Ultimate, DQ content and returning SE costumes from 4? Honestly, it could just be a huge coincidence or everyone involved on decisions regarding FF is just an elitist who thinks they're above having their stuff in the "babby not-a-fighting game".

Or they could just be asking way too much and Nintendo/Sakurai rolled over for the returning Cloud content. Also how much of a prick could the DQ guy be considering we still got 8 songs from the series and 4 characters? Does this make the Persona guy a prick for giving us 1 character and 9 songs? How about the FE guys a prick for giving us the same character of both genders and also only 9 songs? I get it when it comes to FF, but not so much DQ.
I think you're missing the bigger point which is that SE in general is very limited in what they have added to SSBU overall compared to how much they realistically should be adding. I think they are asking for way too much which is why I don't think they'd be ok with adding 2 pieces of music for a 75 cent costume. An indie company would be ok with that. SE though? I don't think that would be as financially lucrative for them. Google the DQ guy if you want a wealth of information on why some might consider him a prick regarding his music.

I think it’s fair to say that SE has a certain... way they handle their franchises, especially DQ and FF. They seem to purposely restrict their use to keep them seen as something on a pedestal. Why? Simple.

How much is a 20 year old PS1 game ported to modern consoles? As much as Square-Enix wants because it’s Final Fantasy VII, the greatest most important game of all time forever and ever and don’t forget it

I believe that’s the reason for it anyway. Keeping things so tightly controlled seems like it’s for the purpose of maintaining a level of reverence for those franchises. I’m not saying it necessarily always works, but I believe that’s the intent. Now in this area I think we might be in luck, because Super Mario RPG is not FF or DQ, so hopefully they’ll be more loose with it. They did randomly put Super Mario RPG music in Fortune Street after all.
Yes I agree with you. But I think it's both that and being concerned with how much they can make out of something.And because of that I don't see them okaying 2 pieces of music just for a 75 cent costume.

Third party focus was primarily focused on the marquee returning parties instead of the other third parties. Capcom and Konami got tons of music as they both were clearly the focuses of Sakurai's third party vision with both receiving bosses, new fighters, large sections in World of Light, and scores of Spirits and Music.

The other three third parties returning for Ultimate got considerably less when you consider how they're content compared to Smash 4 looks (not counting Mii costumes because literally none of those returned in base game Ultimate):

Sega:
+Knuckles, Rodin, and Akira Assist Trophies
+3 New Sonic Songs
+Some Spirits

Square Enix:
+Geno and Mallow Spirits

Bandai-Namco:
+2 New Song Remixes
+Heihachi and Prince are now in Pac-Man's taunt
-Pac-Maze
-Several trophies did not become Spirits, so we also lost Spirits and we didn't get any new Spirits from them at all either

Sega notably got more than the other two thanks to the Assists, but it absolutely pales in comparison to the insane amounts of content Konami and Capcom got as the premiere series with new characters and bosses. Though, it's worth pointing out that Sega and Square Enix both got more content in the Fighter's Pass, though Sega more vicariously since it was all Atlus content. There's clearly a huge difference in which third parties got more content in base Ultimate, and since Final Fantasy VII is a mess licensing wise and Square Enix was getting more content in the Fighter's Pass, I'm not surprised they didn't devote many resources to beefing up the Square Enix content in base game Smash. Bandai-Namco looks considerably worse if anything than all of the third parties right now considering their current position.
I just don't see how that shows that SE isn't stingy with their content. Bandai-Namco being limited in content in ssbu doesn't make SE not limited in content in ssbu. They could have added so many SE spirits that have a connection with Nintendo but didn't, I think that's very weird. I don't think the lack of SE is coming from Sakurai who directly went to SE to ask for a FF character. Some DQ stuff releasing later doesn't really make up for that and doesn't eliminate the fact that they only add 2 pieces of music per individual character represented. Because of this I don't see why they'd be ok with adding 2 music tracks to just a costume.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Aye, though I suspect that it'll be towards Pokemon that will really make a big boom. Sakurai has proven to me during Base Ultimate's development that if a Pokemon game is even within his radar, he will do his damndest to make sure one will make it in. I can appreciate his persistence, though that is one of the few constants of Sakurai: if there's a Pokemon game on the horizon, he will try to make one of them a Smash Fighter. :p
Gen 8 Pokemon that have made "booms":
- Wooloo (literally how would this work)
- Yamper (^)
- Toxtricity (plenty for a kit; very well-received. Huge meme potential with the faces it makes, also easy alt costumes)
- Intelleon (probably the most likely if Sakurai doesn't care about people complaining about another water starter)
- Cinderace (probably the 2nd most likely if Sakurai doesn't care about people complaining about another fire starter)
- Rillaboom (I don't really see this Pokemon making waves like the others above, but it is another of the starters and is a grass starter)
- Dogs [Zacian and/or Zamazenta] (please no. A version-exclusive would look like favortism. Also **** the doggos)
- Alcremie (could possibly work? People do also like it and easy alt costumes since you could just pick 8 of the MANY different skins it has)
- Obstagoon (I could definitely see this work too and totally forgot about them for a sec. I'd be fine with it)
- Urshifu (if they really wanted to shill on the DLC. Massive groan from me here too. We already have 2 fighting-types on top of that)

I think you're missing the bigger point which is that SE in general is very limited in what they have added to SSBU overall compared to how much they realistically should be adding.
Konami was massive to Nintendo on the NES/SNES and they have 2 characters (one an echo of the other). Capcom also quite massive and they have ONE fighter and some Assist Trophies (too lazy to check how many). I know Square was massive too, but how much is a third party *expected* to have realistically? I don't disagree with the music on FF7, that's really dumb, but the DQ content is fine for a DLC pack (on par with the others, but comes with THREE alternate character skins like Bowser Jr.!). Sorry, I guess I just don't really understand. I get FF is stingy but besides that, I don't think third parties should be overshadowing other companies or anything just because they're "bigger" to gaming history.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think you're missing the bigger point which is that SE in general is very limited in what they have added to SSBU overall compared to how much they realistically should be adding. I think they are asking for way too much which is why I don't think they'd be ok with adding 2 pieces of music for a 75 cent costume. An indie company would be ok with that. SE though? I don't think that would be as financially lucrative for them. Google the DQ guy if you want a wealth of information on why some might consider him a prick regarding his music.

Yes I agree with you. But I think it's both that and being concerned with how much they can make out of something.And because of that I don't see them okaying 2 pieces of music just for a 75 cent costume.

I just don't see how that shows that SE isn't stingy with their content. Bandai-Namco being limited in content in ssbu doesn't make SE not limited in content in ssbu. They could have added so many SE spirits that have a connection with Nintendo but didn't, I think that's very weird. I don't think the lack of SE is coming from Sakurai who directly went to SE to ask for a FF character. Some DQ stuff releasing later doesn't really make up for that and doesn't eliminate the fact that they only add 2 pieces of music per individual character represented. Because of this I don't see why they'd be ok with adding 2 music tracks to just a costume.
Oh, I don't care about the costume discussion at all, I'm just trying to push back on the "Square Enix" is stingy idea I see given too much credit. Their absolute willingness to work with Sakurai on Hero, even going as far as to break their own internal rules and consistency to make Hero happen in Smash, shows me a different Square Enix than I think some people see. I just think base game Ultimate prioritized other things, and I'll probably hazard to guess Cloud wasn't cheap either due to FF7's own issues with licensing and just being FF7 in general so Sakurai just focused on bringing his content back and not adding a ton. Like most ways I answer why something isn't in Smash, I think it comes down to priority. Other things took the priority and if Square Enix costs a little more and is getting content in the Fighter's Pass anyway, I think Sakurai just didn't really focus on them for base game.

If Geno goes the way of Sans and Cuphead, I fully expect him to just come with Beware the Mushroom's Forests, but I also expect a Geno playable character to come with like a solid 8-10 songs from Super Mario RPG since he'd have to be a Challenger Pack at this point.

Speaking of, I don't know if it just got buried in the salt/disappointment of yesterday, but that's a really good point I'm surprised people aren't talking about here more. If Geno is indeed coming in Volume 2 (and I think he's got a great shot to be this Volume's Banjo lol), then we're getting a Super Mario RPG stage. There's no room for individual DLC now unless Sakurai pulls something crazy and just drops an additional fighter (which I really do not expect).

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
My predictions:

Bethesda Rep
Geno
A BotW Champion
BAMCO Rep
Urshifu
Master Chief

(not in that order)
I'll throw my hat in the ring and give some (not very confident guesses, also in no particular order)
-Lloyd Irving
-Geno
-Doomguy/Dovakhiin
-Rayman
-Nintendo pick for upcoming game in already repped series
-Robbie Rotten

E: spelling errors
E the second: changing one pick upon thinking about it

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I really don't think we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon with pass 2. FE3H only had a chance at a character because they had no spirit board and generally just went strangely unacknowledged. SwSh on the other hand, already got a spirit board, which likely would've been held off for the newcommer. I could still see another promotional pick making it in, but I'm good as long as it isn't a Pokemon or winces another FE rep. Hell, a BOTW2 character would actually give Zelda some much needed love seeing as how they haven't gotten a newcomer since Brawl and haven't had a non-Link newcomer since Melee.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
>All but 6 of the major Smash 4 Mii costumes have come back.

>No upgrades, no music.

>2 indie costumes, both come with music.

"Geno's going to be a costume upgrade with music."

View attachment 258380
I'd like to remind everyone that most people I saw were hyper pessimistic about Banjo getting in and Steve being essentially a lock in November 2018. Hell, that mood didn't seem to really break until, like, a week or two before E3 when he actually began looking likely. Just because you have a bad feeling about the future does not mean that the bad feeling will actually pan out.

D

Deleted member

I really don't think we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon with pass 2. FE3H only had a chance at a character because they had no spirit board and generally just went strangely unacknowledged. SwSh on the other hand, already got a spirit board, which likely would've been held off for the newcommer. I could still see another promotional pick making it in, but I'm good as long as it isn't a Pokemon or winces another FE rep. Hell, a BOTW2 character would actually give Zelda some much needed love seeing as how they haven't gotten a newcomer since Brawl and haven't had a non-Link newcomer since Melee.
I want to put my doomer days behind me, I really do, but Byleth is the kind of trashy ass Nintendo pick that brings it all rushing back. There's nothing stopping a Gen 8 shillmon and at this point I fully expect it, just, like the first pass, I expect them to come later. So much so that the pokemon they choose likely doesn't exist anywhere but in drawings around the office that Sakurai thinks look cool. My worries are that they start the pass off with Sora and kill our boy on the spot.

My suggestion for everyone feeling tense is to hold out for the next direct, "enjoy" Byleth if you bought the pass and just remember that so far the only thing that died was the credibility of major leakers. We're still in the running regardless of how bleak things look.

And also remember that there's no such thing as a premium costume and costumes don't get upgraded. Look Chibi Robo's costume deep in the eyes and tell me costumes get upgraded.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Joker- S
Joker was my most wanted by miles and miles. Persona 5 is my favorite video game. Plus I was one of the 3 people actually predicting him and I took a lot of **** for it so I felt really vindicated when he actually happened.

Hero- B
I like Dragon Quest, and I enjoyed 11 on the PS4. But it wasn't my favorite. There are a lot of SE characters I wanted over them, but I can appreciate the legacy and they're super fun to play.

Banjo- A+
My second most wanted. A slam dunk again. I love seeing never evers happen so dang much.

Terry- C
Kind of a miss for me. Never heard of him or his series before smash and he's just not a very interesting character imo. Really bland aside from the super specials. Would be lower, but his music is great and his stage is my favorite in the game. Plus one of the people I play with all the time mains him.

Byleth- A-

I wanted Edelgard, but any TH character is great. I love the weapon triangle on him/her and the stage and music are great. Looks like a fun character.

Over all a solid A. This pass was fantastic for me. I plan to pre order the next one as soon as it's available. I had a list of 5 most wanted, and they were Ridley, King K Rool, Joker, Banjo, and Geno. If our boi gets in I'll have gotten all my top 5. It's honestly been too good to be true. Here's hoping!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'd like to remind everyone that most people I saw were hyper pessimistic about Banjo getting in and Steve being essentially a lock in November 2018. Hell, that mood didn't seem to really break until, like, a week or two before E3 when he actually began looking likely. Just because you have a bad feeling about the future does not mean that the bad feeling will actually pan out.
Aye. I know I'm too tiresome with Shantae, but there's always a light at the end of the rainbow. And while a lot of us are wearing tinfoil hats with regards to how possible one of our conspiracy theories would pan out into something positive, we're overall just looking towards the light and approaching it, without regards to what others think of us as a collective. Even with the "leaks" and all the Verges or Sabis and the radicalization of other elements, we continue on since that's simply what we do best.

The "us" part is the Shantae for Smash Forum Page, but yeah :p The major thing is that what many speculators could say may or may not bear fruit, and that we have to be critical thinkers instead of buying into the "new and shiny" leaks.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Look Chibi Robo's costume deep in the eyes and tell me costumes get upgraded.
Which pair?

That's a very good point. I still expect some kind of shill pick, but it can easily not be pokemon.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I want to put my doomer days behind me, I really do, but Byleth is the kind of trashy ass Nintendo pick that brings it all rushing back. There's nothing stopping a Gen 8 shillmon and at this point I fully expect it, just, like the first pass, I expect them to come later. So much so that the pokemon they choose likely doesn't exist anywhere but in drawings around the office that Sakurai thinks look cool. My worries are that they start the pass off with Sora and kill our boy on the spot.
I do think that a shill pick has a good chance of happening but I don't think it'll be a Pokemon. It could happen but I feel as though they wouldn't do a Pokemon SwSh spirit board if that were the plan. We'll have to see though, because if it's like last time, we may not see until late 2021 lol.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I do think that a shill pick has a good chance of happening but I don't think it'll be a Pokemon. It could happen but I feel as though they wouldn't do a Pokemon SwSh spirit board if that were the plan. We'll have to see though, because if it's like last time, we may not see until late 2021 lol.
For sake of sparking discussion while staying somewhat on topic, who do you think we'll get as the shill pick/what game? What do you think this means for Geno (and other mario characters)?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
For sake of sparking discussion while staying somewhat on topic, who do you think we'll get as the shill pick/what game? What do you think this means for Geno (and other mario characters)?
At the moment, I still think it's entirely possible for a Pokemon Gen 8 shill pick, since there's only four SwSh spirit: if they really wanted to make sure no SwSh fighters appear, then they should've had around 10+ spirits. But if I had to be "realistic" and go full-in? I am going to have to hazard a guess and say one of the two Kongs in DKC, either Dixie Kong or Funky Kong as the Shill Pick, which could affect the Mario characters, though Geno might be unaffected.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If Geno goes the way of Sans and Cuphead, I fully expect him to just come with Beware the Mushroom's Forests, but I also expect a Geno playable character to come with like a solid 8-10 songs from Super Mario RPG since he'd have to be a Challenger Pack at this point.
Y'know, I wasn't even thinking about songs. If you had to make a list of about 10 songs to accompany Geno, which would they be?

Here's what I personally came up with, many of which will likely be remixed to be a good/better battle theme:
- Beware the Forest Mushrooms (Forest Maze)
- Fight Against an Armed Boss (Smithy's cronies boss fights such as Mack and Bowyer)
- Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster (non-Smithy-related boss fights, such as Hammer Bros or Croco)
- Fight Against Monsters (the main battle theme)
- Fight Against Kajioh (Smith's boss theme, first phase)
- Koopa Castle (Bowser's Castle)
- Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure (pre-game intro)
- Hello, Happy Kingdom (Mushroom Kingdom during the day) [this one was actually in Fortune Street on the Wii for the Peach's Castle board]
- Still, the Road is Full of Dangers (many areas; Bandit's Way being the first)
- Let's Do the Fluff-Fluff! (Nimbus Land/Nimbus Castle after fighting Valentina) [Mallow needs some love too]

That would be my list of 10. If I could push the limits to 15...:
- Margarie Margarita (Nimbus Castle before fighting Valentina) [I actually prefer this over "Let's Do the Fluff-Fluff!" since I think a remix of this would be awesome to battle to, but the other song is better for Mallow]
- Barrel Volcano (... B-Barrel Volcano... obviously)
- And My Name's Bukki (Booster Tower, after meeting Booster)
- Grandpa and the Delightful Tadpoles (Tadpole Pond, after meeting Frogfucius)
- Weapons Factory (Gate. The post-Exor, pre-actual-factory area)
(damn, I worked hard on this post :()

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Geno will be our shill pick for the next pass; we're getting SMRPG2, baby. Game of the year, every year after then, baby.
Just wait until
SMRPG 3: Return of Wario
SMRPG 4: Geno's Maze gets Deforested
SMRPG 5: Geno Develops a Dependency to Pick Me Ups
SMRPG 6: Geno's Intervention
SMRPG 7: Mallow Buys Into a Pyramid Scheme
SMRPG 8: Don't Buy This Game, it's Just a Bunch of Doug Bowser's Vacation Photos
SMRPG 9: We Ran out of Titles
SMRPG 10: Fire Emblem Edition
After this, the average title for SMRPG holds a whopping score of negative 7 on Metacritic and Nintendo sells the Mario IP to Home Depot for $4.89 and a half eaten package of Oreos

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/Stoic_Miiverse/status/1217993743242080256 everyone I must bring your attention to thic comic's last page.

as you can clearly see, theres a lawyer and an assistant trying to help a pure babi <3
This is precious and amazing; thank you for blessing my day with it.

PS: Also hoping Phoenix & Maya get in, with many awesome alt costumes, including Phoenix & Mia, Edgeworth & Gumshoe, Edgeworth & Kay Faraday, and Apollo & Athena.

At the moment, I still think it's entirely possible for a Pokemon Gen 8 shill pick, since there's only four SwSh spirit.
If they're going for full shill, it would definitely be Urshifu or any other new DLC Pokemon. If they're going for "just a rep for the newest gen", It'll likely be a starter but man I will push hard for Obstagoon or Toxtricity. Punk-rocker characters like them would be an awesome addition.

SMRPG 4: Geno's Maze gets Deforested
I don't wanna be That Guy, but it's not Geno's maze.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
View attachment 258326

And another thing... Let's pretend that Byleth really was the end of DLC. Let's look at the Mii costumes we got:

-Joker (4 Persona costumes, Knuckles and Tails)

-Hero (4 Dragon Quest costumes)

-Banjo (Zero, Protoman, Goemon, Rocket Grunt, and Sans)

-Terry (3 SNK costumes, Jacky and Akira)

-Blythe (Ezio, Rabbid, Cuphead, X, and EXE)

MIA Mii costumes:

-Geno and Chocobo
-Heihachi
-Gil and Lloyd
-Monster Hunter and Rathalos

Plug all these in to have an even number of 6 Mii costumes in each pack. You're left with 2 extra, implying two of these were cut. Now, let's switch over to Power of Six. If Blythe's pack was always planned from the beginning, it suggests the following Mii costumes:

-Monster Hunter, Rathalos, Gil, and Lloyd.

Thematically, it lines up. Joker's were all SEGA, Hero's were all Square, Banjo was a dump but had all 4 Megaman costumes in one place, and Terry's was all major fighting games. We're still left with thematic element that all these characters coincidentally are swordsmen from medieval fantasy RPGs. Fire Emblem technically falls under this and fits perfectly. Here's the thing though... None of these Mii costumes are in this pack and it's just as random Banjo. It makes sense for Banjo to be random because he's literally the property of a competitor, it makes zero sense for a first party character to be totally random and not even have a single first party costume. Again, Banjo had a first party Mii costume so "well, it all had to be third party" so, like a penguin, that **** doesn't fly.

In conclusion, I once again state that I absolutely do not believe that Blythe was planned all along. There's too many problems, especially when you bring the Mii costumes in and have to consider that two were cut, especially in the face that all the Mii costumes listed are pretty popular outside of arguably Gil.
I think you're looking for patterns where there are none.

The Tecmo/Capcom feuding argument is half-baked because it has to ignore a bunch of other potential collab by association aspects. And if Koei Tecmo was really THAT petty, they absolutely could throw their legal weight around to remove the KT content already in Ultimate in an update if Sakurai chose Dante over them. Content getting patched out over stuff like that isn't some crazy concept that never happens, especially in Japan. But of course it's a moot point anyway because Three Houses itself has the KT stamp on it.

So why not Fire Emblem Warriors content? Who knows, but I'd buy Omega Force being more stingy with rights as a possible explanation than "KOEI TECMO HATES CAPCOM". Sakurai manages to get a lot of stuff, so people tend to forget that the whole game is one big logistical nightmare from a rights perspective which is why you'll see some glaring omissions like Cloud's soundtrack list.

As for Byleth being planned from the beginning, sometimes the easiest solution is the most believable; Sakurai likes Fire Emblem and the franchise is now a massive pillar for Nintendo thanks to FEH. The latter of which we've known since mid 2018. It doesn't have to be some big conspiracy over characters being swapped out or anything like that. It doesn't contradict with the info that Ryu is still coming assuming he is, though I don't see why they can't be leakbait after all this time considering how under wraps Byleth was kept.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
It's either A) him being playable or B) his Sm4sh costume coming back, there's no damm inbetween.
Or C, no costume and they just forgot. Somehow. With people asking for Geno.

There's no point to hold onto the costume this long, esp when we already got a SE rep they could have pushed him with. As TerminalMontage said: "HE'S GONNA BE IN".

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna be That Guy, but it's not Geno's maze.
You are forgetting about Geno's maze, the dungeon in SMRPG 2 that Geno traps Wario withing before he is rescued by Waluigi and The Block Bros. As revenge Wario destroys all of the trees in the pocket dimension, emotionally devastating Geno in the process.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
You are forgetting about Geno's maze, the dungeon in SMRPG 2 that Geno traps Wario withing before he is rescued by Waluigi and The Block Bros. As revenge Wario destroys all of the trees in the pocket dimension, emotionally devastating Geno in the process.
I can't believe some people post in the Geno thread without having such basic knowledge of SMRPG 2 smh my head

Last edited:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
This post was warned for having an overly aggressive tone and directly attack a character fan base/developers.
Lol geno isn't going to happen, after this god-awful pass and how it ended, and looking at the roster and how sakurai acts. The next pass is going to be ****, like Joker/Belch ****. It's going to be filled with nobodies no one wants but that egotistical manic that is ****kurai.

God I ****ing hate him as a director, he's the literal WORST kind for this type of game; A director who only does what he wants and ignores the fans. People buy this game/dlc, why the **** can't he build the DLC around OUR wants, not his?

If any other company made a game like this, and completely ignored fan requests, it would flop. Look at Playstation allstars, the main reason it flopped was because of this **** roster. The only reason this game lived on after melee is because it's a Nintendo game.

God ****ing damn it, this roster is just pure garbage. They held a damn ballot for no reason.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Stop the presses! I totally forgot about the SwSh spirit board event. In light of that, I think that does put a huge strike against getting a Gen 8 pokemon. That said, I still think that we'll get at least one outright shill pick with the next pass. Betting on something from BotW 2.

D

Deleted member

Lol geno isn't going to happen, after this god-awful pass and how it ended, and looking at the roster and how sakurai acts. The next pass is going to be ****, like Joker/Belch ****. It's going to be filled with nobodies no one wants but that egotistical manic that is ****kurai.

God I ****ing hate him as a director, he's the literal WORST kind for this type of game; A director who only does what he wants and ignores the fans. People buy this game/dlc, why the **** can't he build the DLC around OUR wants, not his?

If any other company made a game like this, and completely ignored fan requests, it would flop. Look at Playstation allstars, the main reason it flopped was because of this **** roster. The only reason this game lived on after melee is because it's a Nintendo game.

God ****ing damn it, this roster is just pure garbage. They held a damn ballot for no reason.
Yikes...imagine being this salty, hateful, and ignorant...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

The ballot gave us some highly requested characters in the basegame, all characters coming back, and Banjo-Kazooie back in the spotlight. Sakurai isn't going to make everything he does 100% according to what fans want, no artist does that. Even the other DLC characters pleased many people (well Byleth even had the video making fun of the Smash fanbase's "too many swordsmen!" thing but they undoubtedly pleased many FE fans and they're cool imo).

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

Bruh, I'm upset too, but this is going too far. If you're not a troll, you need to calm down.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Jesus Christ! I leave for a couple hours and there's like 10 pages to go through!
Alright now that FP1 is over, give your report cards.
1 - Joker ( B- ) - Despite me not really caring much for the Persona series, I get it. I totally understand why he was chosen. Persona 5 was a massive game, one that finally allowed the series to break through that barrier of relative obscurity it was trapped behind for a long time. Joker as a character is a perfect representation of what his game series is about: stealthy, stylish, ... some other word that starts with an S, and with a hint of creatorial favoritism, he's has it all. As an ice-breaker and an indicator as to what the Fighter Pass was going to look like, Joker is a great choice.

2 - Hero ( B ) - Another character who I personally didn't want really badly, but I understood why they were chosen. The Dragon Quest series has been a phenomenon is Japan, but in the states it's barely managed to keep it's proverbial head above water. Western gamers, even more seasoned JRPG fans, have played the more narratively and mechanically complex Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Tales Of games, the aformentioned Persona games, Super Mario RPG, just about every other JRPG that the Dragon Quest series helped in paving the way for.

So with a remake of their latest entry looming off in the distance, it's no suprise that SquareEnix would've really wanted to fix that fast, and Hero being in Smash serves this dual purpose perfectly. It's a character (or characters in this case) that the japanese fans have wanted to see in the game since forever ago, previously thought impossible due to a myriad of issues, both legal and personal. In terms of the western fanbase, it's a way to get their name out there and help get people excited for the upcoming port/remaster with an incredibly long name. Not bad at all.

3 - Banjo & Kazooie ( S ) - Banjo & Kazooie were one of the most highly requested NEVER EVER characters out there. Their getting in the game wasn't just another reveal, but a cause for celebration for people the world over. I don't even think Nintendo themselves knew beforehand how goddamn estatic the fanbase would be over this announcement. Do I even need to say anything more? ****'s good, you already know.

4 - Terry Bogard ( B+ ) - Terry was a very weird choice for most people. King of Fighters, despite having a long and storied history that continues even today, as well as being generally recognizable to more moderate games enthusiasts, has remained relatively unknown compared to the likes of Street Fighter and Tekken. Terry similarly is a name and a face people would be generally quick to recognize, but few would say that they've played his games. As a result, you'd think that he'd make for a generally unpopular pick for Smash, garnering groans and derision from most people, but you'd be wrong.

While there were certainly a few disappointed members in the proverbial audience rows, most people welcomed Terry's inclusion with open arms. And I think that has to do with three main factors:
1 - He has a legacy. As I mentioned just a moment ago, while his home series isn't as well known or popular as his contemporaries, it still has a long and storied history and whose impact cannot be denied. This was the game that inspired a young Sakurai to even make Smash in the first place. That alone is worth accepting the likes of Terry to this roster.

2 - Terry is cool and charming as all hell. While name recognition and impact are somewhat important to not only getting in Smash, but being accepted by the wider audience, personality is also a major factor. Incineroar was a... divisive character, to say the least. Nobody really wanted a new Pokemon character, let alone another Starter Pokemon from a generation that was mostly waning by the time the game came out. But despite all of the backlash he got when he was first revealed, Incineroar began to really grow on people not only because of his creative and unique moveset, but also his infectious smug **** personality. It's really hard to stay mad at him.
d6e.jpg

To use another example, someone like Corrin may be mechanically unique and come from a popular game series with a long storied history, but they're as devoid of personality as you can get, which is a bit of a given since they're a blank stand-in for the player. As such, most people would be hard-pressed to care about them at all. Now compare that to Terry: A smug, confident, buff as **** family man rockin' the 90's punk kid look, complete with a long blonde ponytail and a radical hat, who shouts broken english as he fires explosions out of his goddamn hands. What's not to love about that?

3 - He was accidentally leaked ahead of time. A lot of people like to give leaks a bit of a bad rap, and I can totally see why that is. I mean, you're going out of your way to spoil something someone else worked so hard on and wanted to reveal themselves. But at the same time, if that suprise turns out to not be as great as you thought it'd be, then it just leaves people disappointed. In that regard, leaks go a long way to help mitigate the backlash some of those reveals can have. SNK's involvement in Smash was accidentally leaked by a branch of Nintendo themselves around 5 days before the next big Nintendo Direct took place, with insiders quickly coming to the conclusion that the next character would be Terry. This allowed people to get used to the idea of an SNK character coming to the roster, and thus lessened the backlash considerably.

5 - Byleth ( C+ ) - The most recent addition to the cast, being revealed just a day prior, Byleth has basically become the Corrin of Smash Ultimate, usurping Piranha Plant as most people's unfavorite amongst the newcomers. They're yet another blue-haired, personality-devoid protagonist character, from a franchise who has so many characters in Smash already that most people would've been totally fine not getting a new character from said franchise, who primarily uses a sword for their attacks like all the other characters from their series, granted this last one has been decidedly flipped on it's head with several other weapon types (Bow, Axe, and Lance) being added to their repertoire.

Byleth is a character most no one wanted, and I'm in agreement with most people in the opinion that Sakurai/Nintendo probably should've held off including them as a fighter. That said, there are some parts about their inclusion I actually like. I think their moveset is pretty solid, with a lot of variety as opposed to other :ultroy: Fire :ultike: Emblem :ultlucina: fighters :ultchrom: who are just Marth with a slightly different coat of paint and maybe a Special Move or two of difference. I also like their stage, which is heavily based on an actual location from the games as opposed to something more generic than an arena or a random castle. Overall they aren't the worst character they could've picked for Smash, but I'm not gonna lie, I struggle to really care about them.

So I guess my overall rating of the Fighter Pass is a solid B+. Most of the picks here were acceptable, one of them was beyond amazing, and only one of them was really underwhelming. Not bad at all, if you ask me. I'm actually a bit excited for Vol. 2. I've heard that some people are thinking we may get a Gen 8 Pokemon for this next pass but I highly doubt it. I mean, we somewhat recently got Spirits for Sword and Shield. If they were planning on adding another Pokemon character as DLC, they would've held off on releasing those so they would come with the new character.

>Sakurai mentions in the stream that the recording took place back in November
>Coincidentally that Mallow/Cacodemon clip was also released back in November too

It may not be much, but it's something I noticed and wanted to point out.
View attachment 258273
Hmm, very interesting! Thanks for pointing this out.

Got a rad speculation take. Ready?

Next character is announced really early, a la Joker, on the 28th the same day as the Pass goes up for sale, a la Joker and December 7th. I feel like they gotta show at least one character.
Hmm, maybe? I'm moreso hedging my bets on whenever this upcoming Nintendo Direct happens, which at this rate I think will either be in February or March at the latest.

My confidants can confirm this but I knew about a Three Houses stage and spirit board and I learned about this on Christmas Day. My contacts never heard Blythe as playable, ironically, and one contact heard that male and female Blythe were coming as Mii costumes, presumably with 6.
Y'know at this point, I think you guys should just assume that any stage you hear about will come with a fighter. So far it seems like they're only doing the pass stuff (one character, one stage, more than one music tracks) so a standalone stage seems pretty unlikely.

Now, on the topic of Geno, I know that some people believe this somehow negatively affects his chances. And to that point I ask, "How?" His chances aren't affected by this reveal no matter who the character could've been. It literally could have been ANYONE, and it wouldn't have changed a thing from what we were already expecting.
People feel that if whatever character is revealed isn't the one they really wanted, then their character is less likely. It's irrational, but I see why people feel that way. It'll pass.

You know they will.

Since we got the obligatory newest Fire Emblem game rep, I have no doubt in my mind that we will get the obligatory newest Pokémon generation rep.
I actually highly doubt they'll add a new Pokemon for two reasons:
1 - They already added their obligatory Pokemon character with Incineroar.
and 2 - They already added Gen 8 Spirits to the game, which a hypothetical Gen 8 Pokemon would come with, sort of like how we most likely aren't getting a Resident Evil character since we've already got a group of Spirits.

Now I know there's Mewtwo in Smash 4, but he moreso counts as a veteran fighter akin to Lucas and Roy. Fire Emblem didn't have a wholly original character in the base game aside from Chrom as an Echo, so perhaps they felt that justified adding Byleth.

So guys, I've got two cups of coffee and an Adderall in my guts and I'm ready to rock. Theorycraft time! Today's topic: how the **** did we get here? Let's dissect things:

Suddenly, Blythe! Wait... What?!

Blythe's reveal yesterday was jarring, to say the least. After months of frustration and dead ends even in insider circles, we got another promotional Fire Emblem character. The irony is palpable especially with Sakurai flat out saying it was a hard kept secret, even among Nintendo employees. Bravo to Sakurai and Nintendo for generating a situation where nobody knew what the golden **** was going on. So... How did we get here?

The Weird Nature of Pack 5

Blythe sticks out like a sore thumb for a ton of reasons. He's by far the "youngest" character added by a solid two years for starters. He was the tail end of a pack that was big third party icons. All these third party icons were also from companies not yet represented in Smash (Atlus, Armor Project, RARE/Microsoft, and SNK). Blythe's Mii costumes were another "dump" and thematically had nothing to do with Fire Emblem, super suspicious for a character that Nintendo literally owns. Based on all these factors, I strongly believe that Blythe was a swap out and I'll explain.

Returning to Power of Six Theory

Again, created by Judge Heihachi, Power of Six basically says that the original plan of the Fighter's Pass was to give every pack 6 Mii costumes and bring back all 15 Smash 4 third party DLC costumes. Our basic map of this is the following:

1. Joker (4 Persona costumes, Knuckles and Tails)

2. Hero (4 Dragon Quest costumes, Geno and Chocobo)

3. Banjo (Goemon, all 4 Megaman costumes, Sans or Rocket Grunt)

4. Terry (3 SNK costumes, Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi)

5. Some Dude™ (Two costumes from this company/franchise, Gil, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos)

All thematically line up, with Banjo being a "dump" of sorts. Going back to my most basic theory for 5 back in September, this suggests that 5 would be a swordsman from a yet unrepresented company in Smash Ultimate. My line of thinking took me through mostly Namco and Bethesda but what if I overthought the situation? Back in September, what swordsman was the most on people's minds including insiders? Ryu Hayabusa.

Where the **** is Ryu?!?

I have a theory on what happened. Brew/Shifty's contact was correct but in a Gematsu leak way. They both said this contact knew about Piranha Plant and Joker and I believe them. This contact probably did have access to the original plan for the Fighter's Pass but... That planned changed for some reason. If we swap out Byleth with Ryu, he fits exceptionally well. Thematically, he goes with everyone else and it makes a ton of sense. As established, he even fits my basic hypothesis of 5 being a swordsman from an unrepped company. That's real ****in' neato but where is Ryu now? I have my own theories.

Conflict Among Developers? Uh Oh, Stinky!

As you all have heard from me, Ryu was first heard in insider circles around December 2018. Based on ForsakenM's timeline theory, we've established that "Season 2" was probably decided around this time and planning began. We have strong evidence of this and one developer was not so subtle about their future Smash plans: Kamiya. Mid December 2018, Kamiya puts out a public poll asking which of his characters people would like to see in Smash. Three are Capcom characters and this is where problems began. Dante won by a significant margin and that made the matter worse. Why?

Tecmo/Team Ninja and Capcom supposedly absolutely hate each other, even going as far as refusing to work on projects if the other is involved. Supposedly they've even fought each other in court too. Notice how Hyrule Warriors didn't have any of the major characters from the Capcom Zelda games? Pretty sure this was deliberate. Throw on top of this that Kamiya is hardcore resented by a good percent of professional Japanese game developers and you have a recipe for disaster. The following is my own speculation and I don't know if it can be confirmed or not.

Tecmo finds out about plans for Dante DLC in Smash and is absolutely pissed. However you say "man, **** those guys" in Japanese, that's probably what happened. Tecmo makes an ultimatum: Sakurai drops Dante or they walk from Ultimate. Sakurai doesn't budge because Kamiya is a good friend of his. Tecmo yeets itself out of DLC. This all happens before Plant is even released. "Well... ****... We're now short a character... ****, ****, piss, etc" -Sakurai, probably. There's now a big gaping hole in DLC. What's the easiest character to plug up this hole with on short notice? A Nintendo character. Sakurai said it himself, he played a Three Lawn Chairs demo and thought "neat" and made his decision based on this. No third parties were involved so it was super easy to keep this underwraps.

In my own head, this makes sense and why my contact knew about a Three Hams Will Kill Him stage and spirits, along with 4 still MIA Mii costumes, one being male and female Byleth! I think this means 6 was originally planned as a bonus and they were going to get the Three Craft Breweries content! What happened is that something went screwy and Byleth was merely prrrrrrromoted because Three Howses was already planned to get a buttload of content anyways!

The Mysterious Nature of 6

Like I've said many times before, 4 character names were commonly heard in the later half of 2018 in insider circles, Lloyd, Ryu, Geno, and anemic Burt Reynolds. I don't think this is a coincidence. I think these were the original plan for 5-8. 6 was always going to be a thing, even before Season 2 was decided. Again, like Mewtwo, a super popular character tacked onto the end as a send off but then they changed their minds for additional DLC later on. 6 was originally planned to get the Trois Maisons content because, in theory, it's a Nintendo character so it fits. So, what does this mean? It means things got jumbled and I'll map it out.

-Ryu's originally 5. For whatever reason, Tecmo drops out of Ultimate DLC.

-Ryu is replaced the easiest way that Nintendo can, they promote the Tree Houses content they were originally going to release with 6. Byleth gets promoted from Mii costume to playable. Subconsciously, Isaac and Rex fans suddenly feel existential dread and don't know why.

-Byleth's Mii costumes are all from companies already contributing to the game: Ubisoft, Capcom, and Microsoft. Byleth gets the two remaining Megaman costumes that, in theory, were originally meant for Banjo. Four Megaman costumes split between 2 "dumps" makes sense in the light of the Power of Two theory, the changed plan that 2 Smash 4 third party costumes were coming per pack until they all 15 come back.

-6 is still happening but my theory is that it will be a mix of its original planned content and Ryu's. 6's Smash 4 DLC costumes, for example, are heavily implied to be Monster Hunter and Rathalos. 6 may get the other three TH Mii costumes and one of the two rumored indie costumes to originally be planned for 6. We now have a 6 pack, supporting Power of Six and Power of Two.

-What will 6's stage, music, and spirit board be? No clue but if they're all directly related to the character, I will be genuinely surprised.

-This all lines up with the information my contacts have given me about 6 and why one of them flat out says Ryu is totally out of the picture now.

What if I'm Wrong about 6?

I've definitely considered this. What if Ryu was merely pushed back? Tecmo came back and they hugged things out. I guess that could happen. Capcom and Tecmo realize that the real magic is the friends they've made along the way and make up. Ryu gets added back in as 6. This actually lines up with what three of my confidants (not contacts, confidants are people who share info with each other and not the source of said info) have shared me. Three have heard from their own sources that 6 is going to be Dante or "a very Dante like character." This last bit is especially weird to me. It fits the profile of a speedy and flashy character. Perhaps this is why one of my contacts thinks 6 is Geno but I seriously doubt it. Only character in the insider speculation sphere that fits this description is Ryu. If I'm wrong about El Hermano, this presents the following ideas: 6 is Ryu, Dante, Geno, or it's yet another situation like Blythe and everyone got jebaited again.

So, laying this all on the table, our probable spread for 6 is pretty good. 4 decently popular characters or a total rando is a pretty good way to start off Season 2 in my opinion.
Hmm, an interesting theory there, but there's one problem with it: Koei Tecmo already have content in Smash with the Fatal Frame Spirits and Yuri Kozukata as an Assist Trophy. If they were that opposed to working with Capcom that they'd request to have Ryu removed from the Fighters Pass since there's Capcom stuff in the game, why would they agree to add those in the first place? I'd imagine it wouldn't matter to them since it's Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco making the game and they have no beef with them; Ultimate would be a neutral ground so to speak.

I've been thinking about the Megaman X/EXE mii costumes and wonder a few things:

A) What does this mean for Capcom? If we were going to get another Capcom rep, wouldn't they have saved these for that? I guess we still have the Monster hunter costume, but that makes me wonder whether Monster hunter will get promoted or not.

B) I assume that this means any future Mega Man characters are pretty much dead. Sad. I like that series.
I think we still could get another character from Capcom, just as I think we could still maybe get Rayman despite the Ubisoft costumes, but it's less likely.

Yall talk about Byleth so much, you might as well marry him
>him
>she.png

Sure thing, boss! :ultpacman:

Agreed ... a first party DLC character came with a stage and music ... but Geno, a third party character couldn't come with a stage and music? I personally don't follow Star since ... well, the whole FP says you are wrong on that. Lol.

We know there is a blend of Mario owned aspects of Mario RPG 7 Stars, but the most of it is all Squares. Heck, we could only get two tracks that are not Nintendo owned (Armed Boss and Forest Maze) and Sakurai's team could fill it with more music, even from the other RPG titles like Paper, M&L, etc.
Wait, GALAXY BRAIN ENGAGE. They get around Geno having two songs by including the versions of songs they own from SMRPG. For example, the version of the SMB3 Final Boss theme that's used in the beginning of the game would be owned by Nintendo, so they could totally include that alongside Geno no problem.

https://twitter.com/Stoic_Miiverse/status/1217993743242080256 everyone I must bring your attention to thic comic's last page.

as you can clearly see, theres a lawyer and an assistant trying to help a pure babi <3
This is precious and I love it. So here's three versions of it for future use! One normal one, one with no background and table, and one with no background and table.
GenoBabby1.png
GenoBabby2.png
GenoBabby3.png

It's either A) him being playable or B) his Sm4sh costume coming back, there's no damm inbetween.View attachment 258387
ButFatmanNo.png

cb3.gif

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I don't think Sakurai is that bad, since he did add Ridley, and K. Rool, two fan requests in the base game, and Banjo-Kazooie as DLC. Joker, Terry and Hero are not so bad, and Byleth, when he releases, could be fun to play as. Sakurai believes how fun a character is play is more important than anything else.

Plus, if Sakurai did ignore fan requests, the games in the Smash Bros. series still could be fun, given how fun the gameplay usually is. Remember, gameplay matters more than the characters on the roster, or else Smash Bros. would not be fun.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Byleth? Yeah that was his personal pick. The other 4? Those are all requested by different people. Joker/Hero by Japan, Banjo by USA/Europe, and Terry by South America. If you think this is a BAD Fighter's Pass just because of Byleth, oof.

Also, did you forget about the base game? Ridley and King K. Rool, the Belmonts, Inkling, Dark Samus, updates for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to better match specific games; I feel like you have to be trolling because you can't possibly be this ignorant.

Edit: MisterMike MisterMike : You're a treasure, both for your post and for those BabbyGeno crops <3

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Ignore the obvious troll, report because they have not changed since I have been here and move along.

Also, I cannot wait for Geno to join Smash.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Sorry for a long post, but I wanted to make predictions for 2020 and 2021.

Here are my thoughts/predictions for this upcoming year or so.

We are going to get Geno within either fighter numbers 6, 7 or 8 (I hope 7 solely because It would fit him so well, but typically the sooner the better!l)
-im saying he's #7 and revealed E3 2020

Each character (the first 3) will come with a set of 2 mii costumes from smash 4, but one or 2 may break this rule and get moved onto the following characters. (based off of the remaining mii costumes, look at attached image I found on twitter)

The rate at which fighters will be revealed is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY less. 3 per year.
Most likely-
6 will be revealed early 2020 (Probably a direct, but I wouldn't count on it being revealed in January, probably March, or if not, delayed til E3 and we get a maybe double reveal)
-One thing to note: if we get a January direct, i'm almost 100% certain there isn't going to be a smash reveal. February is a maybe but i'm thinking march.
7 will be revealed mid 2020- probably E3
8 will be revealed late 2020, likely at a Nintendo direct, but I wouldn't count out the game awards.
(This may vary, and we could get 2 revealed this year and #8 a bit into 2021, or something different, who knows)

The other 3 will be revealed at the same pace throughout 2021, or slightly faster if that "varied schedule" applies

Geno In SSBU (Fighter #76, 77, or 78)
-Smithy mii costume
-Mallow Mii costume
-Chocobo hat (maybe)
-Geno Mii Costume (maybe)
-Unknown Mii Costume (Maybe Cacodemon costume? Read below vvv)

EDIT: I also had a thought that the Cacodemon costume could be similar to the Altair costume, and come with Geno for more representation, because it seemed odd to me that they would make 2 characters at once (if a Bethesda character and Geno were being made simultaneously, because both were in the cacomallow leak)

This could mean one of 3 things
-Cacodemon costume replaces a Smash 4 square costume to make room for an indie character
-Cacodemon costume replaces indie character
-Cacodemon means its own separate character, so another Bethesda rep.

2 tracks, and (maybe but not likely) a Beware the forest mushrooms remix, or if we do get one, I predict it will replace the standard track
-Beware the forest mushrooms
-Fight against an armed boss
(I wouldn't count on square to give us anything more)

Stage- Weapons Factory or Forest Maze (I think Weapons Factory would be cooler, because we could have stage hazards such as the weapon enemies, but Forest Maze is much more popular, and I was thinking about star road, that could be cool, but then they would have to make their own custom "idea" of star road because it isn't ever really shown as a singular place in MRPG. Starhill could be cool too, but I don't see much going into it)

Spirits will be a mix of Mario RPG characters, no returning ones that are already in the base game (So no Mallow and Geno in his DLC spirits)
-Smithy is an obvious pick (large metal King KRool stamina battle with a 2nd more aggressive mode, stage maybe weapons factory or if not, probably castle siege)- Legendary spirit
-Exor (Large swordsman character ike/chrom, metal, typically stationary, stage= castle siege)- 3 stars
-Booster (Red Wario fight, 3 stars)
-Valentina (Large Palutena and normal black falco)- 2 stars
-Jonathan Jones (Blue Krool and small mini Krools)- 3 stars
-Mac (Large Roy and 6 Shy Guy mii fighters, they jump a lot- stage= peaches castle)- 2 star
-Axem Rangers (Black, Yellow, Pink, Red, and Green Kirbys)- 3 stars
Extra guess (One of these maybe removed for this one) Bowyer (Big red link shooting only his bow and throwing bombs)- 2 star

These were my predictions, sorry I saw a few people predicting quite a bit over the last few days, but i'm almost certain Geno is coming and he's one of the first 3 fighters

Attachments

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Byleth? Yeah that was his personal pick. The other 4? Those are all requested by different people. Joker/Hero by Japan, Banjo by USA/Europe, and Terry by South America. If you think this is a BAD Fighter's Pass just because of Byleth, oof.

Also, did you forget about the base game? Ridley and King K. Rool, the Belmonts, Inkling, Dark Samus, updates for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to better match specific games; I feel like you have to be trolling because you can't possibly be this ignorant.
Well, they led with "Geno has no chance, abandon all hope" so most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom