• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Dude, I think you are letting this fear take too much control over your reasoning. Geno is not in a bad spot and there are certainly no signs that what you fear is going to happen right now.
I mean, there are. I'll list three.

>Sakurai thought Isaac fans would like the AT Bullet at the very end of Smash base game speculation

>Sakurai only gave upgraded Mii Costumes to Sans and Cuphead, the former of which is one of the memeist characters in all of gaming who is definitely more relevant than Geno.

>The Fighter's Pass characters we have received so far do not line up with the type of character Geno is at all. The closest we got is Banjo and Banjo is still his own series and comes with numerous other nuances that Geno most likely couldn't provide.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Groaning at how massively overrated the Goose is, moreso than Cloud, Sephiroth, and FF7 as a whole (COME AT ME, I DON'T EVEN CARE!).
While I agree (but not to that extent). Indies that just randomly make it big out of nowhere hit my fuzzy feelings.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It does make sense tbh. Mewtwo had a full on model before Smash Wii U even came out and still took months to come out afterwards and when ya think about it, Mii Costumes are just models and not much else lol
I can bet 1000 in whatever currency of money that you'd be right, especially Mewtwo. I don't think it helps that they have reveals spread out over time, but at leas they do work on these characters; far in advance like with possibly Pass 2 while working with Pass 1.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I’ve seen some people here losing hope for Geno and Waluigi because they couldn’t possibly come with a stage, music, or spirits. But... what if they didn’t come with NEW stages?
Hypothetically, couldn’t Waluigi or Geno return with Rainbow Road 3DS, Rumble Falls or Jungle Hijinx? And that’s purely only the case if Sakurai says “yeah, I want these characters but I don’t want stages for them” which, I wouldn’t think he’d do in the first place. If we got another FE stage, then we can definitely get two more Mario stages.
That, and there’s a lot of SMRPG art they could use for Geno spirits. Same goes for Waluigi, but instead they could use... hmm... characters that have only appeared in Mario spinoffs.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
While I agree (but not to that extent. Indies that just randomly make it big out of nowhere hit my fuzzy feelings.
Oh don't get me wrong, the game seems fine and fun (albeit a touch overpriced for its short duration), but people just went ape for this goose as soon as it was revealed and I just don't get it. It's a normal, everyday, asshole goose.

I’ve seen some people here losing hope for Geno and Waluigi because they couldn’t possibly come with a stage, music, or spirits. But... what if they didn’t come with NEW stages?
Don't 100% remember from yesterday but was it explicitly stated that packs 6-11 will be just like 1-5 and come with stages? If so, they would have to or that's false advertising.

The fact that they're a "challenger pack" leads one to believe they would be just like 1-5 and come with a stage and multiple tracks, but if it was explicitly stated, then they're bound by that.

PS: For Geno's case, I don't see why anyone would fret about a stage. Plenty of places to pick from and like I said a few pages ago, you could have a morphing stage with NPC enemies and mechanics (Bowyer's buttons) with tons of references.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Hypothetically, couldn’t Waluigi or Geno return with Rainbow Road 3DS, Rumble Falls or Jungle Hijinx? And that’s purely only the case if Sakurai says “yeah, I want these characters but I don’t want stages for them” which, I wouldn’t think he’d do in the first place. If we got another FE stage, then we can definitely get two more Mario stages.
That, and there’s a lot of SMRPG art they could use for Geno spirits. Same goes for Waluigi, but instead they could use... hmm... characters that have only appeared in Mario spinoffs.
This only helps Waluigi, not Geno. You're correct, Waluigi could come with Rainbow Road 3DS as a stage, but what would his Mii Costumes be? Spirits? Music?

Saying Geno could come with a Donkey Kong stage is an enormous reach.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Dude, I think you are letting this fear take too much control over your reasoning. Geno is not in a bad spot and there are certainly no signs that what you fear is going to happen right now.
Seriously, there's no need for people to go full emo just because we got one crappy shill. Of all the super villain origin stories, could you imagine the ludicrousness of being so tilted? lol

"I used to fight for the light. For hope. Now all I see is darkness. The world needs to burn."

"But why? What could have turned you to the dark side?!"

".....an FE character in Super Smash Bros DLC. It broke me. That **** was the final straw..."

Antho

Smash Apprentice
This only helps Waluigi, not Geno. You're correct, Waluigi could come with Rainbow Road 3DS as a stage, but what would his Mii Costumes be? Spirits? Music?
If Byleth wasn’t revealed yesterday, you could be saying the same things about them. Mii costumes can basically be anything at this point thanks to both Banjo and Byleth showing so, especially for first party characters. Geno would get Chocobo back and the rumored SMRPG mii costumes. Spirits, like I said, could be spinoffs, characters from Mario Party, Mario Tennis, etc. Music? Waluigi could come with Mario Party, Tennis, and Kart music as well. We still don’t have Waluigi Stadium/Wario Colosseum, and they could make a new arrangement for Waluigi Pinball. Geno would get SMRPG music.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I mean, there are. I'll list three.

>Sakurai thought Isaac fans would like the AT Bullet at the very end of Smash base game speculation

>Sakurai only gave upgraded Mii Costumes to Sans and Cuphead, the former of which is one of the memeist characters in all of gaming who is definitely more relevant than Geno.

>The Fighter's Pass characters we have received so far do not line up with the type of character Geno is at all. The closest we got is Banjo and Banjo is still his own series and comes with numerous other nuances that Geno most likely couldn't provide.
>It's not like Sakurai includes assist trophies because he thinks fans would like them better than a character. He includes them as a way to represent characters that he wouldn't be able to add in the first place as a sort of consolation prize. I agree that putting it at the end was a bad idea, but it didn't mean much anyway because Isaac's AT was absent from 4, so his trophy not appearing wasn't necessarily a character
>Sans was just that, a meme, it was honestly for the better that they didn't use a whole character on someone who was mostly just for ****s and giggles. If he were a character, things probably would have been a lot more divisive
>Bruh, Byleth has proved that there really is no theme to any of this and they're just including whoever they want. People always try to find some thematic element Sakurai goes off (Remember that whole "Heroes vs Villains narrative a lot of people pushed in Summer 2018?). Truth is, there never has been and never will be a theme for adding characters, they just do it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Seriously, there's no need for people to go full emo just because we got one crappy shill. Of all the super villain origin stories, could you imagine the ludicrousness of being so tilted? lol

"I used to fight for the light. For hope. Now all I see is darkness. The world needs to burn."

".....an FE character in Super Smash Bros DLC. It broke me. That **** was the final straw..."
In my opinion, that would be the lamest villain origin story, ever.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Well, let's speculate. Development typically takes a year. SMRPG costume leak happened in mid July suggesting the info was from June/July and Cacomallow happened in early November. This means 4 to 5 months into a hypothetical Geno development. Given the simplicity of Mii costumes compared to, say, a stage or a full fledged character, I don't think it would be unusual for Mii costumes to exist at this point.
So would you say a good time to reveal Geno is E3 this year because that mii costume leak happened June/July of last year? I feel like it would be a good E3 reveal similar to Banjo.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

Thankfully for me, I was always a whiny little jerk before this!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
What does Byleth being in Smash do for Geno? The only way he helps Geno is for the idea that existing series can't get DLC fighters.

Byleth is a first party, Geno is a third party. First party being back on the table for DLC doesn't mean anything good for Geno in fact it lessens his chances by introducing a larger pool of characters that can be chosen from which are not him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My point.
Exactly. Getting all down because of one character as DLC in Smash is not something good or what one should do. It's not even a good reason to destroy or take over Nintendo, for crying out loud.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Saying Geno could come with a Donkey Kong stage is an enormous reach.
Seeing as how Byleth's Mii costumes were just the random stuff Sakurai had no idea where to stick...I'd say Waluigi and Geno have no reason to worry about not having miis lol. There is an absolute crapton of unused Marioverse music. Spirits is easy for Geno just characters from the game for Waluigi just alt costumes of characters from spin offs or Warioverse spirits.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
What does Byleth being in Smash do for Geno? The only way he helps Geno is for the idea that existing series can't get DLC fighters.

Byleth is a first party, Geno is a third party. First party being back on the table for DLC doesn't mean anything good for Geno in fact it lessens his chances by introducing a larger pool of characters that can be chosen from which are not him.
I feel like the question of whether Geno counts as first party or third party is like when people try to answer whether Sora is Square or Disney. In both these cases, people will just say they're whatever one proves their argument better. Meanwhile, Sakurai seems to decide things based on "If I think they're cool then I'll try to put them in." I really doubt he takes much time to decide whether a character is first or third party.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What is your opinion on character announcements and actual releases? Do you feel it will be dragged out till the end of 2021? Or do you think they could get through them sooner? Given how at one point they were ahead of schedule during the first Fighters Pass. I know this development cycle will most likely be different, but I wanted to get your input
It seems super deliberate, especially since three General Directs a year (First half, E3, and second half) have been the standard. One character for each of these occasions. My current predictions:

First Half 2020- Purple Gooigi
E3 2020- Geno
Second Half 2020- Lloyd

First Half 2021- Dante
E3 2021- Crash
Second Half 2021- Master Beef

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I feel like the question of whether Geno counts as first party or third party is like when people try to answer whether Sora is Square or Disney. In both these cases, people will just say they're whatever one proves their argument better. Meanwhile, Sakurai seems to decide things based on "If I think they're cool then I'll try to put them in." I really doubt he takes much time to decide whether a character is first or third party.
No dude. Geno is definitely a third party character.

I don't know why that's up for debate. Yes, he's very linked to Nintendo, but he's owned by Square. He's factually a third party character.

Firox

Smash Master
I don't know, I'd say the Wall has a worse one.

ROFLMAO! Holy mother of FECK, people had no idea how to write back in the 60's! The "Wall"?! How imaginative. What happens next? Does Spiderman chuck a baseball at him? "Time to put my balls to the Wall!"

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I don't know why that's up for debate. Yes, he's very linked to Nintendo, but he's owned by Square. He's factually a third party character.
Yet his spirit has the Mario icon...Not a haphazard SMRPG logo instead.

My dude, take a break.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

We really need to keep it together or else we're gonna become something like this.
PicsArt_01-17-10.26.06.jpg

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

And Sora is owned by Disney. That is factual. What is also factual is that Sora comes from a game that has characters that are not video game characters at all, and thus are not allowed to be playable in Smash and possibly appear at all, key word: Possibly. That gives Geno an edge since he did appear in a game which, while just one game, had video game characters in it. Being third party should not hinder Geno's chances. It didn't stop Cloud, Sonic, Snake and others, so why now? Plus, unlike other third party characters and Square Enix character, he is more associated with Mario than anything else. That should be another reason why he could get in more easily.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd say it was equally worse. Still, what kind of villain is the Wall, anyway?
He was from a comic that was made to teach kids to read, I believe. Those kinds of comics also gave us gems like this.

In an attempt at getting back on topic, I still feel confident that Geno's going to be the sixth Fighters Pass character. At the very least, I figure he'll be in there somewhere, given his popularity, the fairly consistent demand for him, and the fact that we've already gotten Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in Smash.

I'm assuming that his spirits will be the art from Super Mario RPG - there's definitely enough artwork for them to make a spirit board out of just that.

ROFLMAO! Holy mother of FECK, people had no idea how to write back in the 60's! The "Wall"?! How imaginative. What happens next? Does Spiderman chuck a baseball at him? "Time to put my balls to the Wall!"
It was actually made in 1975; I believe it was made as a way to teach kids to read.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Well, Byleth showed that previously represented franchises can be reped, even one with a lot of characters. Mario has a lot of characters, and many people think that is actually justified due to his status. Sure, Geno ain't first party, but he is under the Mario banner.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Well, let's speculate. Development typically takes a year. SMRPG costume leak happened in mid July suggesting the info was from June/July and Cacomallow happened in early November. This means 4 to 5 months into a hypothetical Geno development. Given the simplicity of Mii costumes compared to, say, a stage or a full fledged character, I don't think it would be unusual for Mii costumes to exist at this point.
To expand on to this, I think Byleth might have been a blessing in disguise

Granted I'm also in the boat that thinking that ending on Byleth was an absolutely tone-deaf move, but it did give us one piece of vital information regarding Smash development

Sakurai said he filmed the presentation for Byleth in November, and what happened in November? CacoMallow

Not only was Byleth basically done in November, but so were Mii Costumes, so was CUPHEAD

What we can gather from this is that Mii costumes are done WAY far in advance! Even if Geno and Slayer are still a long ways off from release it stands to reason that their Mii Costumes could have been done that far ahead, we now have precedent of this

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I also don't think Cacomallow is very likely at all anymore, due to Doomslayer or Dragonborn not being DLC 5.

The only leak we can still cling to is the Smithy Mii leak, and desperately hope that it wasn't a ruse by a leaker known to troll and want Popeye in Smash.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I also don't think Cacomallow is very likely at all anymore, due to Doomslayer or Dragonborn not being DLC 5.
Ooooooh brother! We were already discussing the CacoMallow leak and how Mii costumes are most likely done in advance. No offense here, but how could you not notice that?

The only leak we can still cling to is the Smithy Mii leak, and desperately hope that it wasn't a ruse by a leaker known to troll and want Popeye in Smash.
Not sure about that one, to be honest. Is there anything that disproves that leak or has made it false?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The very thought makes me angery so I made a thing but in ms paint cause angery
View attachment 258432
Ah, so cute!
GenoGib.png

One thing that I'm really glad this fighters pass did was filling the stages with characters from the series/games they come from and I think this trend will continue. So here's a little fun challenge for all of you: If you had to choose 10 NPCs and 5 bosses from Super Mario RPG to appear as stage cameos, who would they be?
Mallow, Frogfucious, Frogfucious' Student, Gaz, Booster, Boshi, King Nimbus, Queen Nimbus, Sergeant Flutter, and BEEG YOSHI
Bosses: Mack, Bowyer, Yaridovich, Exor and Smithy

No need to comment much. Talking to Polarthief aside, I just remembered that Nintendo and Sakurai may have decided on DLC for Pass 2 since E3 of last year. If true, I think that may help in the leaks factor, if you know what I mean.
Yes, precisely. I believe it's no coincidence that after Banjo was revealed to such great fanfare and we all expected Hero to bring Geno's costume back, it just didn't show up. I mean, if you're Nintendo planning a second round of DLC, and you see the amazing reaction people have to a character like Banjo (ie. the kind of attention that would translate into LODSofEMONE for his Challenger Pack), and you know of at least a few other characters like him (ie. frequently requested fan favorites like Geno), you'd most likely keep them in mind for that second wave of DLC.
View attachment 258440

Everyone..... remember 2 say "Thank u, Byleth".....
Thank you, Byleth.

I don't know, I'd say the Wall has a worse one.

WHEN YOU COME TO IT
AND YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH IT
AND YOU CAN'T KNOCK IT DOWN
YOU KNOW THAT YOU'VE FOUND
THE WALL
THE WALL
THE WALL
NOTHIN' ON EARTH CAN MAKE YOU FALL!

I'd say it was equally worse. Still, what kind of villain is the Wall, anyway?
The best.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yes, precisely. I believe it's no coincidence that after Banjo was revealed to such great fanfare and we all expected Hero to bring Geno's costume back, it just didn't show up. I mean, if you're Nintendo planning a second round of DLC, and you see the amazing reaction people have to a character like Banjo (ie. the kind of attention that would translate into LODSofEMONE for his Challenger Pack), and you know of at least a few other characters like him (ie. frequently requested fan favorites like Geno), you'd most likely keep them in mind for that second wave of DLC.
Not to mention, it is apparent and probably clear that Geno was not planned for the first fighter's pass. Thought about, maybe, but ultimately not in. But with reasons you have just said, Geno may have a shot in being in the second pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom