• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Good to see that we still have Photoshop edits in spades here on the thread lmao. I'd make some too but I'm kinda outta inspiration at the moment.

Thank you for the kind words as well! The paraleak was always something that fascinated me. Initially I had wanted to make the video for Waluigi a while back but it seemed like such a daunting task that I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle it honestly. But I had some free time to give it the attention I wanted to recently so I figured heck why not. Honestly I expected it to get way more down votes than it has since people just tend to hate on anything Waluigi just because. So Im surprised its done as well as it has. I appreciate the sub and I hope to see ya around in the comment section! I started youtube because I like to talk to people about my theories or speculation in general, I end up replying to about 80-90% of my comments. Discussion is so fun :) As for Geno im rooting for you guys in the upcoming direct. I think 2020 is gonna be his year for sure. Its just a matter of when at this point IMO.
You're welcome my guy! I can admire that sorta dedication, and it's nice to know your vid got a good reception despite the controversial topic lol. My days of commenting on Youtube videos are long gone now, but maybe that'll change. I'll stick around your channel either way though. I love both Geno and Waluigi so these are exciting times for sure.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Here's the thing though, you're allowed to not want a character; even if that character looks likely, or even if they get in.

For example, just look at this threads overall view on Corrin. Most people here do not like the character, and think another should have gotten over him. Imagine if Byleth got in, a lot of people in the Smash community would feel the same way as Corrin (maybe a bit more positive). The same thing applies here (minus the not liking part), JWITTZ would probably be fine with Geno getting in; just that in HIS opinion other characters should be a priority over Geno. And that's a perfectly valid thought to have.
Byleth also has the advantage of 3 Houses actually coming out to everyone, giving people a chance to play the game and allowing the characters to gain a fanbase. Corrin was a straight up ad and unknown outside Japan in a limited DLC package that already had a FE addition to it and followed Cloud Freaking Strife. Corrin was doomed.

Now the problem is that FE would get backlash if it got an eighth character (especially if series like Zelda get skipped again), but that could be tempered if they make a good pick.

Yea, nothing wrong with having a personal priority list of most wanted. I would like Sora, but AFTER Geno is playable.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hey in case you guys were wondering I personally would still like Geno from Super Mario RPG on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System to be a playable character in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch.
In addition I would like Super Mario RPG from the Super Nintendo Entertainment System to be playable on the Nintendo Switch. I feel that these two things would go well together

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People are allowed to have different opinions. If anything, it's just nice to see a lot of noteworthy YouTubers weigh in on Geno, even if they don't want him. It's a weird blessing because there are characters that people don't give a **** if they're added one way or another and Geno's a character that people have strong opinions about, coincidentally like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo. Again, it shoves a finger in the eye of the tired arguments of "nobody knows who he is" and "nobody cares" when you have these massive channels who even put Geno in the thumbnail of their videos because, yes, tons of people care about the character one way or the other. It's a way to attract views, even if the content creator doesn't want Geno. Again, the irony speaks for itself when a one-shot character from the mid 90's is still shockingly relevant.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I second what Fatman said, if anything the fact that people talk about Geno so much, even if not through the most positive light like TheJWitzz's video yesterday, shows how much of an impact he's made. In a way he's more relevant than ever, just not through the means of new game appearances.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What time should I be expecting a direct announcement, if it's this week? How close to the actual direct do they announce this stuff?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Byleth also has the advantage of 3 Houses actually coming out to everyone, giving people a chance to play the game and allowing the characters to gain a fanbase. Corrin was a straight up ad and unknown outside Japan in a limited DLC package that already had a FE addition to it and followed Cloud Freaking Strife. Corrin was doomed.

Now the problem is that FE would get backlash if it got an eighth character (especially if series like Zelda get skipped again), but that could be tempered if they make a good pick.
Well, that's not the only problem with Corrin. A lot of people hated Fates when it did come out, and even more hated Corrin in Fates. Even though I bought Birthright, I have an overall feeling of annoyance towards the games and am, at this point, sick of seeing the cast of Fates being used in anything, really. They made up a good portion of Fire Emblem Warriors (over spots for Roy and Ike, even, much to my chagrin), they took up a huge amount of the initial cast of FEH, and are what I consider to be overused and overrated.

If I see yet another version of Camilla in anything Fire Emblem related I might lose my mind. Fortunately, it seems Nintendo and Intelligent Systems have begun to chill with the Fates front-running and actually put forward stuff that we don't see too often and would appreciate a lot more. Also, Three Houses is pretty awesome, so there's that.

As far as Corrin goes as DLC, it would've just been another Melee-Roy scenario had Fates not gotten the mixed reactions or gotten released in the states. By all accounts, the character plays great in Smash, though a bit too nerfed in Ultimate.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
What time should I be expecting a direct announcement, if it's this week? How close to the actual direct do they announce this stuff?
Directs are usually announced 1 - 2 days in advance. So if it’s going to happen, this week, it’ll hafta be done by Wednesday afternoon.

The prevailing theory is that it’s happening on Thursday.

D

Deleted member

People are allowed to have different opinions. If anything, it's just nice to see a lot of noteworthy YouTubers weigh in on Geno, even if they don't want him. It's a weird blessing because there are characters that people don't give a **** if they're added one way or another and Geno's a character that people have strong opinions about, coincidentally like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo. Again, it shoves a finger in the eye of the tired arguments of "nobody knows who he is" and "nobody cares" when you have these massive channels who even put Geno in the thumbnail of their videos because, yes, tons of people care about the character one way or the other. It's a way to attract views, even if the content creator doesn't want Geno. Again, the irony speaks for itself when a one-shot character from the mid 90's is still shockingly relevant.
tl;dr version:
Any publicity is good publicity.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
General Nintendo Directs (At least in the pattern I've seen over the past couple of years) are announced at 10 AM EST the day before the direct is streamed. So, keep an eye on Nintendo's Twitter on Tuesday the 14th and Wednesday the 15th around 10 AM Eastern Time.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Thanks @AugustusB and AdamBel731 AdamBel731 ! The kind words are always appreciated. I was working on the purple mans video for a bit. Honestly researching it was a real tedious process and just trying to keep things as best I could with what was publicly known. Im hoping I can get a video of similar length about the blue boy soon but Nintendo may beat me to the punch haha.

On a scale of 1-10 how confident is everyone in a direct happening this upcoming week?
I’m saying 10. There’s too much stuff with a announcement deadline that is solved with a direct this week:
- Joker in TMS#FE (comes out this week and this is in the box of the game)
- DMC3SE (The first date is this week)
- Fighter Pass 5 (It's probably done by this point in time)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (TOO. MUCH. SILENCE. And pre-orders should be starting any time)
- Maintenance scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday for "certain Switch software" (placed there after the Sword and Shield stealth maintenance, so there could be even more)
- GameStop secret SKUs (It's been the longest time between this and a Nintendo Direct, if I'm not mistaken)
- Other news, rumors and listings from November and December that haven't panned out yet

And just throwing another meme into the table:

Feel free to use as an avatar ;)

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Not sure if worth adding to the list of things happening on the 16th or has been mentioned here yet but Nintendo's got that New Year Sale on digital titles from the 9th to the 16th. Pushing for sales on the previous few years of titles before they reveal a good chunk of their 2020 lineup?

I'm still on this wild ride till the end with Geno and I'm pretty much all in for this theory that Fatman's got here with these possible upcoming fighters, (terrific essay btw!). If it doesn't end up happening then oh well, our pal Geno's still coming regardless. 2020's gonna be great!

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Haha Haha, are still going on about Dragonborn? This gets too funny sometimes
View attachment 256905
Your the famous wynn728 huh? Nice to meet you. Don't know what made you so negative about every character that could get in. But hey it's fine not to be too optimistic. We'll see who we get. Also I was simply praising Red for his recent videos. So yeah.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Well, I am at least glad the series didn't disappear along with AlphaDream.
Doesn't mean it will be used, but it's still something.
Well my day just got made, I dunno about anyone else’s. Ready for Mario & Luigi games until the end of time, maybe by then a Wario & Waluigi one will finally happen.

Or maybe a Geno & Mallow one

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'd be disappointed if we get any new RPG game that doesn't have Geno or Mallow in it. I just want Nintendo to at least acknowledge our plead. Every Color Splash or Paper Jam released makes me feel more hopeless. I want to see Nintendo and Square just get their stuff together and bring our boys home

D

Deleted member

Not on a break just yet will stick around it's fine besides. Looking forward to whenever news comes.

Anyway really happy if AlphaDream is still going strong.

D

Deleted member

I’m saying 10. There’s too much stuff with a announcement deadline that is solved with a direct this week:
- Joker in TMS#FE (comes out this week and this is in the box of the game)
- DMC3SE (The first date is this week)
- Fighter Pass 5 (It's probably done by this point in time)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (TOO. MUCH. SILENCE. And pre-orders should be starting any time)
- Maintenance scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday for "certain Switch software" (placed there after the Sword and Shield stealth maintenance, so there could be even more)
- GameStop secret SKUs (It's been the longest time between this and a Nintendo Direct, if I'm not mistaken)
- Other news, rumors and listings from November and December that haven't panned out yet

And just throwing another meme into the table:

Feel free to use as an avatar ;)
I have reasons to believe they would also announce a new free update or content release for UA3.

Dataminers have found evidence of Medusa and Black Bolt potentially getting added in the future through new data in the code after the release of the X-Men DLC, and recently the official website pulled a SNK trademark goof and leaked future costumes for the game:

B22DC90C-CEFA-4DA5-8C66-0CC2A1AA4638.jpeg

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Its amusing because in places like SmashFAQs, the detractors are obsessed with Geno, maybe to the point more than fans. They don't shut up about him, and you can find them (again) expressing how much they don't like him in random posts in threads where not only is he not the topic, the topic doesn't have anything to do with characters or series. Ironically, if they scaled back their Geno complaining, he wouldn't be seen as often.

The hypocritical thing is how little that mentality is called out on. Obsessive fans get mocked quickly and those characters became pariahs overnight. Just look at Ridley. But obsessive haters? Not to the same extent. They're either treated as a fitting karma against obsessive fans or just hand waved as supporters overreacting and being overly sensitive to someone who doesn't like their character.

D

Deleted member

Does JWitz have an account here.

Be interesting to hear his thoughts.

The guy made his list it includes Rayman, Phoenix Wright, and of course Geno and Doomslayer he dosen't want those characters in. That's fine.

Nobody has to agree with it we all have our choices that's fine.

Let's respect his and move on.

MattX20

Smash Hero
JWitz made it clear he liked the game and Geno as a character, just that he didn't want him in Smash. I don't consider him an enemy, nor anyone else who doesn't want Geno in the game. We all have characters we want and don't want; I made it clear how I dislike Heihachi as a character, but I know there are those who want him.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Even further than that, I hate the whole relevancy argument in general because nobody ever qualifies it when they say it. "Oh, Geno's not revelant!" ... Yeah? In what way? Are you saying he isn't relevant to football? Then yeah, I agree, Geno is largely irrelevant to that sport. Do you mean gaming as a whole? I mean I guess you could say that, since gaming is massive and there are plenty of characters who are older and less well known amongst the larger gaming audience. Do you mean in relation to Smash? If that's the case then you're wrong, because he very much is relevant in that instace. Plenty of people want him in the game, they mention him all the time, they make numerous videos and fanart relating to him and Smash, and he hasn't gone away despite being a character from a near 24-year-old game. He's very much relevant.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I will say, going back to his video, that his list sort of gave off vibes of him going to most common fan favorite request lists, picking some characters and making an opposing list instead. Almost all of the characters he put here have highly established and numerous support groups. He wasn't rude, condescending or a jerk and offered his opinions nicely. But the group he picked just feels......off.

But he also helped Geno, pointing out the many, MANY requests for him.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Does JWitz have an account here.

Be interesting to hear his thoughts.

The guy made his list it includes Rayman, Phoenix Wright, and of course Geno and Doomslayer he dosen't want those characters in. That's fine.

Nobody has to agree with it we all have our choices that's fine.

Let's respect his and move on.
It's interesting but even some people that were against certain characters began to like them once they got in

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just a quick reminder. 4 pages from now, the page number is associated with angels, which Geno and star spirits in general are considered the Marioverse equivalent of.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm going to chime in real quick here.
  1. I've seen a bunch of people being overly hostile to each other recently between regular Geno thread goers. Knock it off. The arguments are petty and it makes it look like we are eating ourselves alive just before what is likely our Direct announcement.
  2. Bless all of those who have said they wouldn't trade a single ****ing character for Geno. I wish other Geno fans both here and abroad could understand that Geno getting in at the cost of characters that people love is extremely selfish, shows the worst part of character fanbases as the whole topic is just 'Who do YOU think is worthless in comparison to your most wanted?'. and it honestly goes against everything Geno represents as he serves the people and cares about everyone's wishes.
  3. I have no idea if we are getting a Direct this week or next or in February. Arguments can be made for both sides: Team This Week has the time between Pokemon Directs and Nintendo Directs historically and that there are plenty of announcements to be made already pushing their viewpoint while Team Next Month has the fact that Ultimate was already updated for Amiibo functionality when Sakurai has changed that to normally come WITH character updates and the fact that they technically have until Feb 29th to reveal and release the character.
  4. God, stop bothering with Wynn. Just let him be his gloomy self. Once Geno gets in and Wynn has to inevitably post that he was wrong and Sakurai DOES care about us, don't mock him: just make it his most liked comment ever. Maybe that will send the message.
  5. I used to watch both TheJWittz and Renae a ton but, since they are mostly Nintendo content and on top of that mostly Pokemon and...well...Sword and Shield are the dumpster fire that they are and that I honestly just am kinda bored of safe content. The more that these platforms censor what content can and can't be made the more I find myself watching less and less of it. I barely watch Let's Players anymore because they are all the same and slowly each channel on YouTube or Twitch is becoming like every other channel. As someone who knew YouTube in it's youth and enjoyed the Wild West days of video content on the internet, there just isn't much interesting on there now and TheJWittz falls under this for me. It's too bad that he's on the wrong side of history, even if he's very cool about it, but his only reason for Geno that wasn't personal was...relevancy? Welp, I got and image for that JWittz.
fun over being recognizable.jpg

Also, as I mentioned so many pages ago, not wanting Geno as DLC is to actively root against whatever character you DO want for DLC. Geno is literally the most far-fetched character ever: he is the extreme in terms of so many negative things that people think would disqualify him, and yet here we are where everyone is basically just waiting for his announcement as the status quo has been changed from If to When. Also, he REALLY just said he didn't want basically the biggest picks people are talking about right now so he has come off rather hipster like, even more so when he basically says right in the beginning that he LIMITED THE LIST TO CHARACTERS HE KNOWS ARE POPULAR PICKS! His whole video is basically him taking the piss out of fanbases without truly committing because "I'm a cool dude and I don't really wish ill will on you." He even ADMITS to wanting SOMEONE from Six Divided By Two Humble Abodes and that he wants another Pyre Symbol rep just to PISS OFF THE FANDOM.

Basically, there is no point to the video...like at all.

So, since there is no point to the video, let me list you the characters he says he DOESN'T want in the order of his Top Ten.
  1. Goku
  2. Chorus Kids
  3. GENO
  4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  5. Doom Slayer/Doom Guy/Doom Marine
  6. Byleth
  7. Rayman
  8. Phoenix Wright
  9. Dixie Kong
  10. Captain Toad
Do you see how this list is LITERALLY pulling just about every popular pick right now and ****ting on it even though he can't really **** on it because he's a 'friendly channel'? Do you see how this is basically nothing but a troll video masked as a friendly top ten video? And his tweet about it was shared earlier is proof this was nothing but a troll video. If anything, I'm just sad that JWittz has fallen this low that he has to stir the pot just to be relevant. But you know...

I mean, this is from the same guy who unironically wanted both Steve and Master Chief in Smash, to think that was possible. This is coming from the same guy who wanted Rex and Pyra despite seeing both Rex's costume and all the Spirits. This is from the guy who was still hoping for a Monster Hunter character of some sort despite Rathalos being in as a boss and Assist Trophy for the base game. This is from the guy who killed his own YouTube channel and has gone from being a huge channel that everyone loved and talked about to being relatively forgotten and only watched when he make basic ass videos that feed into the algorithm on topics EVERYONE is talking about already and even THEN he barely gets a fraction of the views of other channels despite having very close to 2 million subscribers...and this includes his popular videos. He's a relic of YouTube past and is no longer worth watching as he no longer offers anything new or original and frankly he never truly did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One thing I may want to point out is that sadly there are a lot of people online who do claim to dislike specific picks for concrete choices, but at the same time dislike other picks for literally the opposite reasons.

As many of you, I’ve met many people in the past who were against Geno, the DQ8 Hero, Mach Rider or K.Rool for being “irrelevant, obscure or forgotten” who were proven wrong on that regard with time... but at the same time despised characters such as Pauline or Saber for being “too relevant/shill picks, too well known/zoomer picks or too relevant to be well received”.

So in the end, it could honestly be possible that a lot of these people I met in the past don’t actually care about giving fair reasons to dislike a character. They just want to hate on characters that are either popular or wanted by specific people they want to see others mocking over wanting them.

Not saying this in regards to JWittz, because I seriously doubt he really wants to annoy or mess with other people over who they want. Just telling some stuff from my personal experience.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Even further than that, I hate the whole relevancy argument in general because nobody ever qualifies it when they say it. "Oh, Geno's not revelant!" ... Yeah? In what way? Are you saying he isn't relevant to football? Then yeah, I agree, Geno is largely irrelevant to that sport. Do you mean gaming as a whole? I mean I guess you could say that, since gaming is massive and there are plenty of characters who are older and less well known amongst the larger gaming audience. Do you mean in relation to Smash? If that's the case then you're wrong, because he very much is relevant in that instace. Plenty of people want him in the game, they mention him all the time, they make numerous videos and fanart relating to him and Smash, and he hasn't gone away despite being a character from a near 24-year-old game. He's very much relevant.
The relevancy argument just doesn't work in general.

People often confuse recency with relevancy. They are not the same concept. Just because something hasn't appeared in a long time doesn't mean it's irrelevant. Some things, in regards to what the subject is, are always relevant no matter how much time has passed.

And Smash has literally kicked down all doors of this argument. Old characters? We got K. Rool, Terry, Richter, and Banjo. New characters? Isabelle, Joker, Inkling, and Incineroar.

How old or young does a character have to be to get in Smash? Clearly, there's no age limit. Smash Bros is for good boys and girls of all ages. New, old, recognizable or not, Sakurai doesn't care.

How relevant does a character have to be to get into Smash? "That's my secret, Cap. I'm always relevant." Very few characters are irrelevant in regards to Smash. That's how wide of a net Smash casts.

It's all a matter of recency, though being called as if it were relevancy. And the truth is: neither matter.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
When I come back to the thread and find that people brought back up/started talking about the JWittz video again
IMG_20191227_194824.png

This topic was already hashed out yesterday... a mod (Venus) even had to come in here and tell us to stop.

I know some people don't like to be told what to do, but... when you say you understand but still don't move on, then... don't get defiant when you're asked to stop, just kinda seems illogical. I don't mind being off topic (you should know me by now), but people are arguing about it again and getting hissy about it when that already happened yesterday and Venus told us to stop. The horse has been beaten.

Anyways, Geno is pretty cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Geno gets revealed , do you think it would generate a huge reaction like what we saw with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo? Or do you think some people would be genuinely confused as to who he is?

D

Deleted member

If Geno gets revealed , do you think it would generate a huge reaction like what we saw with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo? Or do you think some people would be genuinely confused as to who he is?
That’s honestly a really good question.

I honestly don’t know for sure. The internet is really unpredictable for this kind of stuff.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I think most people who're watching a direct for Smash will know who he is. It's hard to be in Smash speculation and not encounter Geno's name at least once.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd be disappointed if we get any new RPG game that doesn't have Geno or Mallow in it. I just want Nintendo to at least acknowledge our plead. Every Color Splash or Paper Jam released makes me feel more hopeless. I want to see Nintendo and Square just get their stuff together and bring our boys home
I'll be disappointed if we get another Paper Mario game like Sticker Star or Color Splash on the Switch. I want to see the series return back to it's RPG mechanics a la 64 and TTYD.

I honestly think Geno's reaction would be K. Rool tier. Definitely won't be Banjo & Kazooie tier that's for sure. Only other character that would generate a crowd with as much hype or more than Banjo & Kazooie would definitely be Sora.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll be disappointed if we get another Paper Mario game like Sticker Star or Color Splash on the Switch. I want to see series return back to it's RPG mechanics a la 64 and TTYD.
Seeing the path that Nintendo has taken with a lot of their games as of late, I highly highly doubt that will ever happen again. They are definitely listening to the fans request for games they want to see while also making it marketable for the casual audience. Sticker Star was mainly Miyamoto’s fault but Color Splash I can see how hard they tried to get fans attention. In almost all of the marketing, they always mentioned the characters. But, it just never worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom