• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If Geno gets revealed , do you think it would generate a huge reaction like what we saw with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo? Or do you think some people would be genuinely confused as to who he is?
I think it will, but the only thing that matters is that it will garner a huge reaction from me and truly that is what matters to me.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Seeing the path that Nintendo has taken with a lot of their games as of late, I highly highly doubt that will ever happen again. They are definitely listening to the fans request for games they want to see while also making it marketable for the casual audience. Sticker Star was mainly Miyamoto’s fault but Color Splash I can see how hard they tried to get fans attention. In almost all of the marketing, they always mentioned the characters. But, it just never worked.
I don’t have a source ready for this but I remember reading that Color Splash started development at the party celebrating Sticker Star getting finished. Like they finished the game and were immediately like “let’s do another one!” So it’s entirely possible that the improvements made in color splash and the attempts to add characters were them trying to course correct the game after Sticker Star’s response.

D

Deleted member

I think it will, but the only thing that matters is that it will garner a huge reaction from me and truly that is what matters to me.
Well, obviously it will be a glorious reaction for us. Just want to see how others will react.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'll be disappointed if we get another Paper Mario game like Sticker Star or Color Splash on the Switch. I want to see series return back to it's RPG mechanics a la 64 and TTYD.
What if this scenario were to happen: Geno doesn't make it into Smash Ultimate, but Nintendo and Intelligent System end up making another old school RPG Paper Mario game like 64 and The Thousand-Year Door... and it's revealed that Geno is one of Mario's partners in the game?

D

Deleted member

I don’t have a source ready for this but I remember reading that Color Splash started development at the party celebrating Sticker Star getting finished. Like they finished the game and were immediately like “let’s do another one!” So it’s entirely possible that the improvements made in color splash and the attempts to add characters were them trying to course correct the game after Sticker Star’s response.
Yeah, they tried to make it like the originals after seeing the horrendous reception of Sticker Star. But, the problem with it wasn’t just the characters but the actual gameplay itself. It seems like they focused too much on one aspect rather than addressing everything else that went wrong with Sticker Star.

D

Deleted member

What if this scenario were to happen: Geno doesn't make it into Smash Ultimate, but Nintendo and Intelligent System end up making another old school RPG Paper Mario game like 64 and The Thousand-Year Door... and it's revealed that Geno is one of Mario's partners in the game?
That could make some sense, seeing how Paper Mario 64 was originally planned to be a SMRPG sequel.

Would be cool to see that happening.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Banjo & Kazooie's Nintendo World store reaction was the biggest positive reaction out of any crowd reaction I've ever seen period. Just listen to this:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Banjo & Kazooie's Nintendo World store reaction was the biggest positive reaction out of any crowd reaction I ever seen period. Just listen to this:

Yeah, I was so happy to see that people care so much about them. I grew up on these games and I was excited that a new generation gets to experience these characters like I did. And that wasn’t even the biggest reaction, it was the second floor reaction that was the biggest.

D

Deleted member

Banjo & Kazooie's Nintendo World store reaction was the biggest positive reaction out of any crowd reaction I've ever seen period. Just listen to this:

The people over there always have great reactions.

The one for Hero was really good too.

Goes to show that there are really cool people out there.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Despite Fatmanonice's somewhat confidence in the matter... a triple reveal just seems so incredibly unlikely to me. Would I like it? Uh... do you even have to ask? But I think a double reveal just makes more sense.

So, by that logic, the two rumored Dragonborn and Waluigi would be at the next Direct with Geno at E3 or the next Direct before then.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Geno and Mallow both in a new RPG Paper Mario game would be awesome as hell.

D

Deleted member

The people over there always have great reactions.

The one for Hero was really good too.

Goes to show that there are really cool people out there.
Yeah, the crowd reactions are always so fun to watch. Except there are a couple of people there that are kind of annoying. Like the one guy that goes “woo woo woo” after like every single damn announcement. Just watch the new Pokémon Direct reaction at Nintendo NY and you‘ll see what I’m talking about.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The salt from TheJWittz's fairly inoffensive video is top quality entertainment people lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to chime in real quick here.
  1. I've seen a bunch of people being overly hostile to each other recently between regular Geno thread goers. Knock it off. The arguments are petty and it makes it look like we are eating ourselves alive just before what is likely our Direct announcement.
  2. Bless all of those who have said they wouldn't trade a single ****ing character for Geno. I wish other Geno fans both here and abroad could understand that Geno getting in at the cost of characters that people love is extremely selfish, shows the worst part of character fanbases as the whole topic is just 'Who do YOU think is worthless in comparison to your most wanted?'. and it honestly goes against everything Geno represents as he serves the people and cares about everyone's wishes.
  3. I have no idea if we are getting a Direct this week or next or in February. Arguments can be made for both sides: Team This Week has the time between Pokemon Directs and Nintendo Directs historically and that there are plenty of announcements to be made already pushing their viewpoint while Team Next Month has the fact that Ultimate was already updated for Amiibo functionality when Sakurai has changed that to normally come WITH character updates and the fact that they technically have until Feb 29th to reveal and release the character.
  4. God, stop bothering with Wynn. Just let him be his gloomy self. Once Geno gets in and Wynn has to inevitably post that he was wrong and Sakurai DOES care about us, don't mock him: just make it his most liked comment ever. Maybe that will send the message.
  5. I used to watch both TheJWittz and Renae a ton but, since they are mostly Nintendo content and on top of that mostly Pokemon and...well...Sword and Shield are the dumpster fire that they are and that I honestly just am kinda bored of safe content. The more that these platforms censor what content can and can't be made the more I find myself watching less and less of it. I barely watch Let's Players anymore because they are all the same and slowly each channel on YouTube or Twitch is becoming like every other channel. As someone who knew YouTube in it's youth and enjoyed the Wild West days of video content on the internet, there just isn't much interesting on there now and TheJWittz falls under this for me. It's too bad that he's on the wrong side of history, even if he's very cool about it, but his only reason for Geno that wasn't personal was...relevancy? Welp, I got and image for that JWittz.
View attachment 256917

Also, as I mentioned so many pages ago, not wanting Geno as DLC is to actively root against whatever character you DO want for DLC. Geno is literally the most far-fetched character ever: he is the extreme in terms of so many negative things that people think would disqualify him, and yet here we are where everyone is basically just waiting for his announcement as the status quo has been changed from If to When. Also, he REALLY just said he didn't want basically the biggest picks people are talking about right now so he has come off rather hipster like, even more so when he basically says right in the beginning that he LIMITED THE LIST TO CHARACTERS HE KNOWS ARE POPULAR PICKS! His whole video is basically him taking the piss out of fanbases without truly committing because "I'm a cool dude and I don't really wish ill will on you." He even ADMITS to wanting SOMEONE from Six Divided By Two Humble Abodes and that he wants another Pyre Symbol rep just to PISS OFF THE FANDOM.

Basically, there is no point to the video...like at all.

So, since there is no point to the video, let me list you the characters he says he DOESN'T want in the order of his Top Ten.
  1. Goku
  2. Chorus Kids
  3. GENO
  4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  5. Doom Slayer/Doom Guy/Doom Marine
  6. Byleth
  7. Rayman
  8. Phoenix Wright
  9. Dixie Kong
  10. Captain Toad
Do you see how this list is LITERALLY pulling just about every popular pick right now and ****ting on it even though he can't really **** on it because he's a 'friendly channel'? Do you see how this is basically nothing but a troll video masked as a friendly top ten video? And his tweet about it was shared earlier is proof this was nothing but a troll video. If anything, I'm just sad that JWittz has fallen this low that he has to stir the pot just to be relevant. But you know...

I mean, this is from the same guy who unironically wanted both Steve and Master Chief in Smash, to think that was possible. This is coming from the same guy who wanted Rex and Pyra despite seeing both Rex's costume and all the Spirits. This is from the guy who was still hoping for a Monster Hunter character of some sort despite Rathalos being in as a boss and Assist Trophy for the base game. This is from the guy who killed his own YouTube channel and has gone from being a huge channel that everyone loved and talked about to being relatively forgotten and only watched when he make basic ass videos that feed into the algorithm on topics EVERYONE is talking about already and even THEN he barely gets a fraction of the views of other channels despite having very close to 2 million subscribers...and this includes his popular videos. He's a relic of YouTube past and is no longer worth watching as he no longer offers anything new or original and frankly he never truly did.
I think I could of worded my question better. I was thinking and meant more along the lines of cutting characters of YOUR roster. It doesn’t affect anybody else but you. But yes, I would unironically remove 10 characters just for Geno. These are the characters I don’t really care about and characters I never play as.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Brawl mod community is getting crazier and better as time goes on. Just look at this ****:

I think these girls are from Fate? I don't know. But this mod is insane and awesome! They look so op in fact, they don't seem like playable characters but more like playable bosses lol!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Bless all of those who have said they wouldn't trade a single ****ing character for Geno. I wish other Geno fans both here and abroad could understand that Geno getting in at the cost of characters that people love is extremely selfish, shows the worst part of character fanbases as the whole topic is just 'Who do YOU think is worthless in comparison to your most wanted?'. and it honestly goes against everything Geno represents as he serves the people and cares about everyone's wishes.
Well that was sort of the whole point of the questionaire, and to be honest it's a pretty decent thought experiment. Also, were we allowed to pick characters who are alts for a single character?
God, stop bothering with Wynn. Just let him be his gloomy self. Once Geno gets in and Wynn has to inevitably post that he was wrong and Sakurai DOES care about us, don't mock him: just make it his most liked comment ever. Maybe that will send the message.
NoIDontThinkIWillMisterMike.png

First off, no.

Second, Wynn starts most if not all of the arguments people have with him, typically by trying to be part of the conversation by responding to all sorts of posts people make. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to take issue with someone starting arguments with other people in the thread, especially when he's fully willing to back up said arguments?

Third, Wynn is never going to admit he was wrong about his pessimistic outlook. He's going to find some way to weasel out of it and act like he wasn't wrong about anything, and attempting to justify all of his positions like he always does. "No guys, I didn't say that exactly, what I really said was this! Jeezums, I can't believe people take my posts so seriously after I go out of my way to try and argue my senselessly pessimistic opinion as fact at everyone in this thread!"

If Geno gets revealed, do you think it would generate a huge reaction like what we saw with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo? Or do you think some people would be genuinely confused as to who he is?
Absolutely, on both fronts. There will be no shortage of people excited to see him, and they'll be just as hyped to see him as those others you mentioned. And of course, there will be some people who don't know who he is, but that's fine.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wanna know what Japans reaction is gonna be if Sora gets in smash
Isn't this more of a question for the Sora thread? Just saying, considering rules about on-topicness. I don't know if the Geno thread would be the best judge of that.

That does make me wonder about Japan's perception of Geno, though.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm going to chime in real quick here.
  1. I've seen a bunch of people being overly hostile to each other recently between regular Geno thread goers. Knock it off. The arguments are petty and it makes it look like we are eating ourselves alive just before what is likely our Direct announcement.
  2. Bless all of those who have said they wouldn't trade a single ****ing character for Geno. I wish other Geno fans both here and abroad could understand that Geno getting in at the cost of characters that people love is extremely selfish, shows the worst part of character fanbases as the whole topic is just 'Who do YOU think is worthless in comparison to your most wanted?'. and it honestly goes against everything Geno represents as he serves the people and cares about everyone's wishes.
  3. I have no idea if we are getting a Direct this week or next or in February. Arguments can be made for both sides: Team This Week has the time between Pokemon Directs and Nintendo Directs historically and that there are plenty of announcements to be made already pushing their viewpoint while Team Next Month has the fact that Ultimate was already updated for Amiibo functionality when Sakurai has changed that to normally come WITH character updates and the fact that they technically have until Feb 29th to reveal and release the character.
  4. God, stop bothering with Wynn. Just let him be his gloomy self. Once Geno gets in and Wynn has to inevitably post that he was wrong and Sakurai DOES care about us, don't mock him: just make it his most liked comment ever. Maybe that will send the message.
  5. I used to watch both TheJWittz and Renae a ton but, since they are mostly Nintendo content and on top of that mostly Pokemon and...well...Sword and Shield are the dumpster fire that they are and that I honestly just am kinda bored of safe content. The more that these platforms censor what content can and can't be made the more I find myself watching less and less of it. I barely watch Let's Players anymore because they are all the same and slowly each channel on YouTube or Twitch is becoming like every other channel. As someone who knew YouTube in it's youth and enjoyed the Wild West days of video content on the internet, there just isn't much interesting on there now and TheJWittz falls under this for me. It's too bad that he's on the wrong side of history, even if he's very cool about it, but his only reason for Geno that wasn't personal was...relevancy? Welp, I got and image for that JWittz.
View attachment 256917

Also, as I mentioned so many pages ago, not wanting Geno as DLC is to actively root against whatever character you DO want for DLC. Geno is literally the most far-fetched character ever: he is the extreme in terms of so many negative things that people think would disqualify him, and yet here we are where everyone is basically just waiting for his announcement as the status quo has been changed from If to When. Also, he REALLY just said he didn't want basically the biggest picks people are talking about right now so he has come off rather hipster like, even more so when he basically says right in the beginning that he LIMITED THE LIST TO CHARACTERS HE KNOWS ARE POPULAR PICKS! His whole video is basically him taking the piss out of fanbases without truly committing because "I'm a cool dude and I don't really wish ill will on you." He even ADMITS to wanting SOMEONE from Six Divided By Two Humble Abodes and that he wants another Pyre Symbol rep just to PISS OFF THE FANDOM.

Basically, there is no point to the video...like at all.

So, since there is no point to the video, let me list you the characters he says he DOESN'T want in the order of his Top Ten.
  1. Goku
  2. Chorus Kids
  3. GENO
  4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  5. Doom Slayer/Doom Guy/Doom Marine
  6. Byleth
  7. Rayman
  8. Phoenix Wright
  9. Dixie Kong
  10. Captain Toad
Do you see how this list is LITERALLY pulling just about every popular pick right now and ****ting on it even though he can't really **** on it because he's a 'friendly channel'? Do you see how this is basically nothing but a troll video masked as a friendly top ten video? And his tweet about it was shared earlier is proof this was nothing but a troll video. If anything, I'm just sad that JWittz has fallen this low that he has to stir the pot just to be relevant. But you know...

I mean, this is from the same guy who unironically wanted both Steve and Master Chief in Smash, to think that was possible. This is coming from the same guy who wanted Rex and Pyra despite seeing both Rex's costume and all the Spirits. This is from the guy who was still hoping for a Monster Hunter character of some sort despite Rathalos being in as a boss and Assist Trophy for the base game. This is from the guy who killed his own YouTube channel and has gone from being a huge channel that everyone loved and talked about to being relatively forgotten and only watched when he make basic ass videos that feed into the algorithm on topics EVERYONE is talking about already and even THEN he barely gets a fraction of the views of other channels despite having very close to 2 million subscribers...and this includes his popular videos. He's a relic of YouTube past and is no longer worth watching as he no longer offers anything new or original and frankly he never truly did.
Holy ****, you're getting so much worse about gatekeeping stuff for Smash. "Unironically wanting Steve and Master Chief in Smash, to think that was possible" is cold my dude and then whining about the dude's YouTube career is even more petty.

Also, "not wanting Geno as DLC is to actively root against whatever character you DO want for DLC" is basically the worst kind of extreme that does nobody favors.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wish I knew some Japanese people so I could ask them this. Best way to test this is to type in his name in Pixiv. I feel to more popular the character, the more pictures Pixiv had
Pretty sure there are some Japanese fan polls we could judge, but that's not always accurate, especially depending on the poll.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Pretty sure there are some JApanese fan polls we could judge, but that's not always accurate, especially depending on the poll.
You know, stuff like this sometimes make me wish we could see the results for the Smash Ballot. That would probably be a bad thing though as well since people would be attacking all these characters that the community didn't know had any popularity whatsoever.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There are youtube channels that compile Japanese fan reactions, so whoever is coming next is assuredly going to get coverage. Geno's fairly popular in Japan, so there's a good chance we'll see at least similar to Banjo reactions over there.

D

Deleted member

What kind of music would Geno listen to?

I personally believe classic music due to his nature of a star taking the body of an old wooden figure.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I personally believe classic music due to his nature of a star taking the body of an old wooden figure.
I believe Geno would listen to metal music so he was such a bad*** ********** in Smash Kingdom. He is so awesome he blew up Japan when Sakurai didn't add him in Brawl.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Yeah I agree with classical but for a different reason that leads to another question

How old is Geno? Going by the general fan interpretation of stars as angels in Mario, I’d infer that he’s probably been around for a good long time. Probably not as long as the Seven from paper Mario but still a long time.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I agree with classical but for a different reason that leads to another question

How old is Geno? Going by the general fan interpretation of stars as angels in Mario, I’d infer that he’s probably been around for a good long time. Probably not as long as the Seven from paper Mario but still a long time.
I feel he may have 100 years at least.

Knowing how stars tend to work.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
It's honestly funny seeing people still believe that Waluigi is somehow getting into Smash Bros. Like how many times does Sakurai does Sakurai have to dunk on him to get the message across?
I know this post was like a day ago, but I just gotta remind everyone of a similarly large purple antagonist that had fanbase/meme issues that everyone just decided was a lock from the beginning in retrospect. Ridley had many of the same issues Waluigi has and look where that got him. I think Waluigi is probably the most underrated character in Smash Speculation (Reddit, SB, 4chan, Gamefaqs) but he is probably the largest mainstream choice of any of them. You can ask a random person on the street and you probably won't hear them say KOS-MOS or Pyra/Mythra, but if they have a cursory knowledge of video games or internet culture, they probably know Waluigi. He'd make an absolute ton of people happy, it just so happens that those people aren't all interested in hardcore online Smash Bros discussion.

But anyways, Geno.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Christian Rock.

I know this post was like a day ago, but I just gotta remind everyone of a similarly large purple antagonist that had fanbase/meme issues that everyone just decided was a lock from the beginning in retrospect. Ridley had many of the same issues Waluigi has and look where that got him. I think Waluigi is probably the most underrated character in Smash Speculation (Reddit, SB, 4chan, Gamefaqs) but he is probably the largest mainstream choice of any of them. You can ask a random person on the street and you probably won't hear them say KOS-MOS or Pyra/Mythra, but if they have a cursory knowledge of video games or internet culture, they probably know Waluigi. He'd make an absolute ton of people happy, it just so happens that those people aren't all interested in hardcore online Smash Bros discussion.
But Lunar, Sakurai doesn't care for Waluigi, remember? He made him an assist trophy three games in a row, and he even dissed him in a Miiverse post! There's no way Sakurai will include a character he doesn't care for! :ultpacman:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Christian Rock.

But Lunar, Sakurai doesn't care for Waluigi, remember? He made him an assist trophy three games in a row, and he even dissed him in a Miiverse post! There's no way Sakurai will include a character he doesn't care for! :ultpacman:
Okay, I recognize where this is from. You really have to stop with mocking the user you quoted and are making fun of. It’s not funny, and doesn’t make you any better regardless of what he did.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I've always felt like Geno is over 100 years old but that's not very old for his species so he's probably, like, 21 in star years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom