• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

News reporter: “So Geno, how did you finish your first Smash battle after getting in?”

Geno:

F9F54D8B-AB0F-4ACF-AECE-3CF9F4D37808.jpeg

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Honestly, sometimes I get the same feelings with Geno that I did with Banjo leading up to E3. All we need right now is some weird technical glitch or some credible insider to hint to him and then I'd be fully there.

Edit: Honestly, the music track take downs from July almost feel like our version of the Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt glitch. So, all we need is some insider to make a vague joke.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, sometimes I get the same feelings with Geno that I did with Banjo leading up to E3. All we need right now is some weird technical glitch or some credible insider to hint to him and then I'd be fully there.

Edit: Honestly, the music track take downs from July almost feel like our version of the Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt glitch. So, all we need is some insider to make a vague joke.
I'm not counting on vague hints this time. Nintendo was supposedly pretty pissed about how "loud" people got with Banjo at E3. Despite this, there's been plenty of dog whistles for the upcoming Direct and I think that's as far as Nintendo wants big name channels to go this time.

D

Deleted member

I'm not counting on vague hints this time. Nintendo was supposedly pretty pissed about how "loud" people got with Banjo at E3. Despite this, there's been plenty of dog whistles for the upcoming Direct and I think that's as far as Nintendo wants big name channels to go this time.
You mean loud like everyone was suspecting it was going to happen?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I'm going to chime in real quick here.

I used to watch both TheJWittz and Renae a ton but, since they are mostly Nintendo content and on top of that mostly Pokemon and...well...Sword and Shield are the dumpster fire that they are and that I honestly just am kinda bored of safe content. The more that these platforms censor what content can and can't be made the more I find myself watching less and less of it. I barely watch Let's Players anymore because they are all the same and slowly each channel on YouTube or Twitch is becoming like every other channel. As someone who knew YouTube in it's youth and enjoyed the Wild West days of video content on the internet, there just isn't much interesting on there now and TheJWittz falls under this for me. It's too bad that he's on the wrong side of history, even if he's very cool about it, but his only reason for Geno that wasn't personal was...relevancy?

Also, as I mentioned so many pages ago, not wanting Geno as DLC is to actively root against whatever character you DO want for DLC. Geno is literally the most far-fetched character ever: he is the extreme in terms of so many negative things that people think would disqualify him, and yet here we are where everyone is basically just waiting for his announcement as the status quo has been changed from If to When. Also, he REALLY just said he didn't want basically the biggest picks people are talking about right now so he has come off rather hipster like, even more so when he basically says right in the beginning that he LIMITED THE LIST TO CHARACTERS HE KNOWS ARE POPULAR PICKS! His whole video is basically him taking the piss out of fanbases without truly committing because "I'm a cool dude and I don't really wish ill will on you." He even ADMITS to wanting SOMEONE from Six Divided By Two Humble Abodes and that he wants another Pyre Symbol rep just to PISS OFF THE FANDOM.

Basically, there is no point to the video...like at all.

So, since there is no point to the video, let me list you the characters he says he DOESN'T want in the order of his Top Ten.
  1. Goku
  2. Chorus Kids
  3. GENO
  4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  5. Doom Slayer/Doom Guy/Doom Marine
  6. Byleth
  7. Rayman
  8. Phoenix Wright
  9. Dixie Kong
  10. Captain Toad
Do you see how this list is LITERALLY pulling just about every popular pick right now and ****ting on it even though he can't really **** on it because he's a 'friendly channel'? Do you see how this is basically nothing but a troll video masked as a friendly top ten video? And his tweet about it was shared earlier is proof this was nothing but a troll video. If anything, I'm just sad that JWittz has fallen this low that he has to stir the pot just to be relevant. But you know...

I mean, this is from the same guy who unironically wanted both Steve and Master Chief in Smash, to think that was possible. This is coming from the same guy who wanted Rex and Pyra despite seeing both Rex's costume and all the Spirits. This is from the guy who was still hoping for a Monster Hunter character of some sort despite Rathalos being in as a boss and Assist Trophy for the base game. This is from the guy who killed his own YouTube channel and has gone from being a huge channel that everyone loved and talked about to being relatively forgotten and only watched when he make basic ass videos that feed into the algorithm on topics EVERYONE is talking about already and even THEN he barely gets a fraction of the views of other channels despite having very close to 2 million subscribers...and this includes his popular videos. He's a relic of YouTube past and is no longer worth watching as he no longer offers anything new or original and frankly he never truly did.
This is a bit aggressive when he's just sharing his opinion on some characters, and ragging on the type of content he makes is not only completely irrelevant, but it's just not necessary. In this chunk of your post (I do agree with a lot of what you say earlier) you come across as exceedingly petty and angry that JWittz doesn't want Geno. Claiming that he's on the "Wrong Side of History" is a bit extreme when he put forward the fact that he personally doesn't want a character that you want in Smash.

As well as this, you bump your gums a bit about how Geno is literally the best pick for all future DLC because he sets a standard for anyone to come in, and so not wanting Geno is essentially shooting your own most wanted in the foot. This is ridiculous, and comes across as you aggressively pushing Geno into everyone because you just have to have him, he helps everyone, start supporting Geno for your MW's sake- which is really counterproductive if you're trying to get more people to support Geno, as they now have an image of a fanatic Geno fan who will not hesitate to push him into any conversation about Smash.

To add to this, you get seemingly very angry that he's picked popular picks for discussion. Characters that are talked about more are not only more likely to bring more views in (Geno is popular in Smash speculation and is in the thumbnail), but as people are more familiar with the top picks like Geno and Doomguy compared to, say, Grovyle or Quote, that generates more discussion and people know the characters in terms of Smash speculation better. this also may be nitpicking but he doesn't bash every popular pick. Lloyd, Waluigi, Dante, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Isaac, Sora and others all "escape" unscathed. You may feel this way because you like the characters on the list, but Captain Toad, Chorus Kids, Goku, Byleth (and to an extent) Rayman aren't all massive fan favourites.

Also, bashing his channel's success and who he wants for Smash is unneeded and comes across as very spiteful.

Finally, if the video is a troll video (and I think it's a bit unfair to discount the whole video as being a troll video, he is allowed to have these opinions), then haven't you just took the bait hook, line, and sinker?

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I'm just going to pose a question since we're getting so close to a hypothetical Direct that hypothetically may contain some Smash reveals and that also would hippothicketly be preluded with leaks of some kind:

Would you rather someone or some source of credence leak Geno's reveal? Or would you want those in the know to go black and keep the secret until the trailer unveils itself?

I'm in camp Tight Lips. I've been waiting for Geno for a long loooong while and after suffering through shaft after shaft, forgery after fakery and now that the light at the end of the tunnel seems brighter than it has ever been, I've come to realize that despite wanting desperately to know if our boy made it as soon as possible, I don't want even a second of catharsis taken from an official reveal. We're getting into the danger zone I feel and I don't want to go dark from websites like this, and I know that these days everything leaks eventually, but I just wanted to open some dialogue to see how everyone else here feels about this conundrum. If someone here DOES happen to know if he's in and is keeping their poker face on, my respect and thanks to you for realizing how much of a big deal it is and for attempting to preserve the magnitude of the bombshell about to go off (again, Hypno-tickley speaking). There are no wrong choices; everyone deserves to expect things differently, it's just my two cents on the matter.

D

Deleted member

How’s my favorite branch doing?
I’m doing alright Plank.

Seems like my mother has fully recovered from her cold, and while one or two threads on the site are as heated as usual (not this one from my point of view), it has been a chill day at the site.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Would you rather someone or some source of credence leak Geno's reveal? Or would you want those in the know to go black and keep the secret until the trailer unveils itself?
Well, the surprise would definitely be nice but a leak would give me a bit more peace of mind hopefully and would also just be a nice way to end the info drought, so I could go either way honestly.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I would want to be surprised. What made Joker such a great reveal was no one said anything until an hour or so of the reveal. And that noise of shock, awe and what not was great!

EDIT: Ahhh s*** its Plank08 Plank08 ! Also "They who shall not be named" said that eh? Welp, time will tell, but also it's time to prepare for a February Direct...or March...or August!?

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I'm just going to pose a question since we're getting so close to a hypothetical Direct that hypothetically may contain some Smash reveals and that also would hippothicketly be preluded with leaks of some kind:

I'm in camp Tight Lips. I've been waiting for Geno for a long loooong while and after suffering through shaft after shaft, forgery after fakery and now that the light at the end of the tunnel seems brighter than it has ever been, I've come to realize that despite wanting desperately to know if our boy made it as soon as possible, I don't want even a second of catharsis taken from an official reveal. We're getting into the danger zone I feel and I don't want to go dark from websites like this, and I know that these days everything leaks eventually, but I just wanted to open some dialogue to see how everyone else here feels about this conundrum. If someone here DOES happen to know if he's in and is keeping their poker face on, my respect and thanks to you for realizing how much of a big deal it is and for attempting to preserve the magnitude of the bombshell about to go off (again, Hypno-tickley speaking). There are no wrong choices; everyone deserves to expect things differently, it's just my two cents on the matter.
To be honest with you my dude, i respect you and those who want his reveal to be kept as a secret and that's okay but for me i just want someone to come out and say that he's in, the real surprise for me is not his inclusion but rather his reveal trailer, what characters will he interact with? what remix will play during the gameplay part? that's the real surprise for me

D

Deleted member

As much as I would love to know beforehand, I still think a surprise would be the best option.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Ok so um also there’s a legit possibility we won’t get a direct next week, sabi said there won’t be one.
Uh oh.
1. I wouldn't believe them saying that
2. I don't see where they said it
3. There's too much pointing to the direct happening next week

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Ok so um also there’s a legit possibility we won’t get a direct next week, sabi said there won’t be one.
Uh oh.
I don't trust Sabi much at all (no matter how much they need to remind us how much we are obligated we are to believe every word they say) not to mention, it can be quite difficult for sources to figure out when Direct dates are.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m at the point where I’ll take a spoiled reveal.

I just want it over already. I hope like hell that Nintendo never goes this super slow route for reveals ever again. For any of their games.
Either reveal every planned character At the start, or do what 4 did and not let us know exactly how many dlc characters are planned or when they’ll be revealed. But please don’t do ultimates route ever again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Who knows on the Direct date. Nobody who was able to nail down the dates perfectly is in the game anymore so it's a weird matter of being adrift at sea. Wasn't Nintendo doing a big update on the 20 something or other too?

D

Deleted member

I guess February then. Hmm?

Guess I could see it.

Still going to hold out hope for this week.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
New PapaGenos video
Just watched the video...and stopped/skipped ahead after the Arle talk happened. So much repetition for favor and against that it just feels forced...Is this a dare!?

I do like the idea of a Paper Mario returning to its roots. Especially if it is a semi sequel to TTYD!

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
What reasons would we have to think we would get a Direct this soon after the Pokemon one?

D

Deleted member

Just watched the video...and stopped/skipped ahead after the Arle talk happened. So much repetition for favor and against that it just feels forced...Is this a dare!?

I do like the idea of a Paper Mario returning to its roots. Especially if it is a semi sequel to TTYD!
Yeah, bringing back Paper Mario would be very good publicity.

What reasons would we have to think we would get a Direct this soon after the Pokemon one?
Most previous Pokémon Directs had Nintendo Directs after them since The Pokémon Company does their own thing without Nintendo’s input.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
There is evidence of a Pokemon Direct happening and a General Direct following a week after. That is honestly the biggest take away right now.

Some could say that a lot of information being revealed around the 16th of Jan (Devil May Cry 3 and I forget the others), but those could be a separate announcement.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Direct doesn't have to be this week but there's currently two things in its favor and one against:

In favor: long history of Pokemon Directs and General Directs being very shortly apart, Markomaro implying one would be happening very soon.

Against: Amiibo releases and Directs have yet to happen in the same week for some reason.

There's other little bits and pieces like the DMC stuff but who knows if it's significant.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If they don't announce a direct this week, it looks like we are waiting until February then. I really like Nintendo, but basically every other company would announce all their DLC characters off the bat. It does lead to hype moments with some big games coming out a few months after its announcement, but at the same time it does lead to information droughts and causes people to get impatient.

Nintendo might be mad at the fact that Banjo got a lot of public talk right before E3, but I'll go as far as say that they were asking for it. It's admirable waiting for special occasions to announce things, but it doesn't hurt at all to announce all the characters beforehand. They don't have to reveal the stages, or music, or release windows, or gameplay at all. Just show a CGI trailer with each character gradually being shown as they fight off Dharkon's forces, or do a short trailer for each character. Just that alone would make the wait more bearable.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
If they don't announce a direct this week, it looks like we are waiting until February then. I really like Nintendo, but basically every other company would announce all their DLC characters off the bat. It does lead to hype moments with some big games coming out a few months after its announcement, but at the same time it does lead to information droughts and causes people to get impatient.

Nintendo might be mad at the fact that Banjo got a lot of public talk right before E3, but I'll go as far as say that they were asking for it. It's admirable waiting for special occasions to announce things, but it doesn't hurt at all to announce all the characters beforehand. They don't have to reveal the stages, or music, or release windows, or gameplay at all. Just show a CGI trailer with each character gradually being shown as they fight off Dharkon's forces, or do a short trailer for each character. Just that alone would make the wait more bearable.
Not every company would do it a different way. Tekken still has unknown characters, as does Soul Calibur 6. Granted, both of those games are Bandai Namco, who are developing Smash, but that's beside the point.

If anything, the only company I can think of that announces the full list of characters is NetherRealm Studios, with their Kombat Pack trailers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. The extra wait isn't exactly a bad thing either. Like I said the other day, we've established a timeline that 5 was probably complete enough to present in November but they held off and that suggests one or more characters are now ready to present along with them. If anything it solidifies a double reveal or more do the wait should definitely be worth it in the end.

Droodle

Smash Lord
So since we're nearing the date for the direct (slowly but surely). I thought I may write down my predictions for future Smash DLC. I'll go over why I think these characters are getting in, and what else they may bring with them. I've spoilered my thoughts, because I'll be honest, some of it will be very controversial. Most of this list is from general info we know, and my instincts (which FYI have not been wrong so far).

- Fighter 5 is Dragonborn. I've been saying that 5 may potentially be Dragonborn for a while now, ever since Cacomallow leaked? Even when most people on this thread and the general thread were saying it'll be Doomguy, I stuck with Dragonborn. Skyrim is very iconic and even Nintendo saw it as a big get for the Switch. And unlike DOOM, Skyrim is decently popular in Japan.

As for the costumes he'll come with, it'll be the Generic Skyrim armor, Cacodemon, Doom armor, Power Armor. Now I know some people will kill me for this, but I believe that this is where we'll see the Mallow costume, and an enhanced Geno costume like Sans. I think the fact that Mallow and Cacodemon were in testing together at the very least means that the wait between Cacodemon and Geno is short; but I can't see Geno being character 6 either. It would also explain the relaxed security measures around them, that someone was able to take footage of these particular costumes. These characters are not linked to actual fighters themselves, so security wasn't as tight. Banjo already proves that costumes do not have to be linked to the series/company to get in.

I think we'll get a second Fighters Pass with 5 additional characters. No bonus character, but we'll get Byleth as a bonus mii costume for buying the pass.

- Fighter 6 is Dante. Kinda like Dragonborn, I've been saying that Dante is likely for a while now (ever since December). He checks off pretty much the exact same things as Joker. Popular, relevant, and flashy. This makes him the perfect opener for the next fighter's pass. A ton of the DMC games came to the Switch as well ever since Itsuno's remark of "wait for DMC on the Switch". While I don't buy it completely, the remark made by V's voice actor also supports this. Dante will be revealed in the same direct as Dragonborn.

He'll come with the missing MH costumes, as well as Nero, V, Lady, and Vergil outfits.

- Fighter 7 is Lloyd/Yuri. Until they were "deconfirmed by insiders", Lloyd/Yuri were my frontrunners for Fighter 5. Fairly self explanatory; arguably the largest JRPG series not in Smash Ultimate, good amount of fan/developer support, the complete absence of any Tales content/references in Ultimate. The trademarked Tales logos also fit into this, as well as next year being the 25th anniversary of the franchise. Revealed at E3.

Comes with the Heihachi, and additional Tales costumes.

- Fighter 8 is Ryu Hayabusa. Heavily talked about in terms of rumours, and makes a ton of sense. Nintendo and KT have had a very strong relationship lately. Really nothing more to add. Revealed at E3.

- Fighter 9 is tricky because I think they'll go the route of Terry and give a lesser known/speculated upon character the spot. My bets are either Reimu or Adol Christin. Both are characters with a fair amount of history and legacy, even if they are not that well known in the Western world. I think Reimu is more likely just because Adol would be another swordfighter. Also the music leak is technically still standing, even if I think its shaky. Revealed in the September Direct

- Fighter 10, again split on this one, Smash usually does not end with a "bang" but I think it will this time will be different. I'll say I think this character is either going to be Crash Bandicoot or Sora. My reasoning is that both are super popular, both in Japan and outside of it. Both would easily "fit" into Smash.

In general I think there will be no promotions. Not because they can't happen, but because I think Nintendo knows that even promoting 1 AT/Spirit will open up Pandora's Box; suddenly everyone's asking for their character to be promoted.. It's smarter to avoid this outcome entirely.

If you want any clarification just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom