• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Quick question: Which of these options would make you the most upset to see in this Pokemon Direct?
1 - 2nd versions of Sword & Shield, $60
2 - Paid DLC for Sword & Shield, ~$30
3 - Diamond & Pearl Remake, $60, no Battle Frontier, 4 new formes for Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus, 4 new Pokemon

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Quick question: Which of these options would make you the most upset to see in this Pokemon Direct?
3 - Diamond & Pearl Remake, $60, no Battle Frontier, 4 new formes for Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus, 4 new Pokemon
I love Geno!

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
All of the above
PicsArt_01-07-10.32.12-1.jpg

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
1 and 2... At least the new formes for the Pokemon could be cool... Also it would still have some challenge.

D

Deleted member

I thought they were going to do a surprise Joker amiibo reveal with Dark Samus and Richter. So, we’ll probably have to wait a couple of months for the dlc amiibo. Just hopefully not a full year like the Smash 4 dlc amiibo.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
What if Geno...

was in Smash?

I know, pretty cool, huh? What can I say, my young and energetic millennial mind just is too quick for you fogies to keep up with.:ultpacman:

D

Deleted member

What if Geno...

was in Smash?

I know, pretty cool, huh? What can I say, my young and energetic millennial mind just is too quick for you fogies to keep up with.:ultpacman:
No...way. Also you’re not a millennial. You’re gen z.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
probably number 2, dlc would have to be close to a new game for the price to be worth it IMO

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Pink Gold Peach made it into Mario Kart Tour...Nathaniel Bandy is gonna have a stroke.
Pd: what kind of vehicle would Geno use in Mario Kart?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
In addition to what Fatman said, Skyrim was also the first American game to get a perfect 40/40 on Famitsu and was generally popular in Japan, selling well. This may very well be what gets Dragonborn into Smash first before Doom Slayer, since FPS games are not popular in Japan.

volbound1700

Smash Master
So when are we going to get this Direct that everyone is raving about? I guess it makes sense that Nintendo would not do a direct the first week of January right after the New Year vacation. Team was likely out of office. However, everyone keeps whining about the maintenance tomorrow but we don't have any directs, announcements, etc.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
In addition to what Fatman said, Skyrim was also the first American game to get a perfect 40/40 on Famitsu and was generally popular in Japan, selling well. This may very well be what gets Dragonborn into Smash first before Doom Slayer, since FPS games are not popular in Japan.
To expand upon this, I think this is sort of like the reality if Steve got over Banjo & Kazooie somewhat. Again, somewhat.

I think the general Smash fanbase wants Doom Slayer more, but mostly anyone who follows video games knows Skyrim. It is HUGE. And I know Todd Howard is kinda sleazy and Bethesda keeps re-selling Skyrim, but... Todd is right; Bethesda will stop re-selling Skyrim when people stop buying it. Skyrim is incredibly popular and has had a huge impact on the industry.

While DOOM also has had a huge impact on the industry, I think Skyrim has more of an appeal worldwide. Look, I get Smash already has some characters us westerners don't know as well (like Hero), but Smash is made IN JAPAN, so obviously Sakurai probably won't add a character who the Japanese don't really know or like. Takumaru wasn't made a playable character because Sakurai knows he is really niche (and this is for the RETRO character pick nonetheless). DOOM has had a huge impact, but it is also violent. Could they tone it down, yes and I'm confident it could work. But let's look at Steve and Banjo & Kazooie parallels:

Similar to the comparisons made between Steve and Banjo & Kazooie, Minecraft is more popular worldwide and has more international appeal. While Banjo & Kazooie were wanted more in the Smash fanbase, even if you are staunchly against Steve, Minecraft is an unstoppable force that is the most successful video game of all time. There is so much going for Minecraft, that ordinarily Banjo-Kazooie getting squat over Minecraft would've been laughable. But... because Sakurai and Nintendo listened and the fans kept up the support for an old platforming star, Minecraft somehow got passed up. Do you realize how much that says about Sakurai? I know *some people* want to say Sakurai doesn't listen or care, but he literally passed up on having the most successful game of all time getting a character in Smash. Do you realize how much more appeal that would've gotten than Banjo & Kazooie? (Disclaimer: Even though I'm young and wasn't born when the bear and bird were in their hay day, I love them and glad they're in.)

So, looping back around to DOOM and Skyrim, similar to Minecraft and Banjo-Kazooie, there are legitimate arguments for why Sakurai would choose one over the fan favorite (much to people's chagrin). Though, obviously, DOOM has much more of an impact and legacy than Banjo-Kazooie I'd say (or at the very least is actively ongoing, so it isn't that niche). But... hey, like I said, Sakurai does listen so maybe DOOM will be chosen over Skyrim! But also, Doom Slayer hasn't been requested that much (I'd say) until recent times. So, unlike Banjo & Kazooie, he hasn't had long-enduring huge fan support. I'd love Doom Slayer, but a Skyrim character makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and I just remembered that Hero and Geno could also work in this scenario. ...isn't it awesome how a character like Geno is even a possibility? I mean the fact that Geno (an old character who has appeared in one Mario spinoff years ago) seemingly has more legs to be in Smash at the moment than pretty much ANY OTHER Square Enix character should really speak volumes to what Sakurai has made possible. The fact that Geno seems so likely now is just a testament to what Sakurai has facilitated with Ultimate.

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
100% the Diamond and Pearl remake that's half-baked. I've already been extremely disappointed with Pokemon since S/M and haven't even bought US/UM, Let's Go or Sw/Sh. So, at least for me, a second version of the games or even DLC for them might at the very least pique my interest and buying them in the future.

Still a shame that Pokemon Direct came out of nowhere instead of a normal Direct. Guess we'll have to wait for the next Direct or a 5th character reveal until next week, at the very least.

volbound1700

Smash Master
To expand upon this, I think this is sort of like the reality if Steve got over Banjo & Kazooie somewhat. Again, somewhat.

I think the general Smash fanbase wants Doom Slayer more, but mostly anyone who follows video games knows Skyrim. It is HUGE. And I know Todd Howard is kinda sleazy and Bethesda keeps re-selling Skyrim, but... Todd is right; Bethesda will stop re-selling Skyrim when people stop buying it. Skyrim is incredibly popular and has had a huge impact on the industry.

While DOOM also has had a huge impact on the industry, I think Skyrim has more of an appeal worldwide. Look, I get Smash already has some characters us westerners don't know as well (like Hero), but Smash is made IN JAPAN, so obviously Sakurai probably won't add a character who the Japanese don't really know or like. Takumaru wasn't made a playable character because Sakurai knows he is really niche (and this is for the RETRO character pick nonetheless). DOOM has had a huge impact, but it is also violent. Could they tone it down, yes and I'm confident it could work. But let's look at Steve and Banjo & Kazooie parallels:

Similar to the comparisons made between Steve and Banjo & Kazooie, Minecraft is more popular worldwide and has more international appeal. While Banjo & Kazooie were wanted more in the Smash fanbase, even if you are staunchly against Steve, Minecraft is an unstoppable force that is the most successful video game of all time. There is so much going for Minecraft, that ordinarily Banjo-Kazooie getting squat over Minecraft would've been laughable. But... because Sakurai and Nintendo listened and the fans kept up the support for an old platforming star, Minecraft somehow got passed up. Do you realize how much that says about Sakurai? I know *some people* want to say Sakurai doesn't listen or care, but he literally passed up on having the most successful game of all time getting a character in Smash. Do you realize how much more appeal that would've gotten than Banjo & Kazooie? (Disclaimer: Even though I'm young and wasn't born when the bear and bird were in their hay day, I love them and glad they're in.)

So, looping back around to DOOM and Skyrim, similar to Minecraft and Banjo-Kazooie, there are legitimate arguments for why Sakurai would choose one over the fan favorite (much to people's chagrin). Though, obviously, DOOM has much more of an impact and legacy than Banjo-Kazooie I'd say (or at the very least is actively ongoing, so it isn't that niche). But... hey, like I said, Sakurai does listen so maybe DOOM will be chosen over Skyrim! But also, Doom Slayer hasn't been requested that much (I'd say) until recent times. So, unlike Banjo & Kazooie, he hasn't had long-enduring huge fan support. I'd love Doom Slayer, but a Skyrim character makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and I just remembered that Hero and Geno could also work in this scenario. ...isn't it awesome how a character like Geno is even a possibility? I mean the fact that Geno (an old character who has appeared in one Mario spinoff years ago) seemingly has more legs to be in Smash at the moment than pretty much ANY OTHER Square Enix character should really speak volumes to what Sakurai has made possible. The fact that Geno seems so likely now is just a testament to what Sakurai has facilitated with Ultimate.
I am going to show my ignorance but is this a true statement?

I thought the top selling video game of all-time was Wii Sports.

Top selling free video game was Super Mario Brothers 3.

Top selling series use to be the Sims.

Most downloaded game on PC use to be Doom 1 Episode 1 (keep in mind it was Shareware).

Perhaps Minecraft has overtaking all of these giants.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
For some more Genospeak, here's something that is extremely important to a character in Smash but is often overlooked: their size. Usually, fitting a character to their relative size isn't too difficult in the world of Smash (:ultolimar: with :ultkirby: a :ultridley: few :ultmetaknight: exceptions). Geno is a weird case, though. If he becomes a fighter, he would have to conform to some sort of standard, just like the rest of the gang. The issue that arises is how SMRPG's characters are designed. The game exists with chibi-esque squat proportions for the characters, including the main cast. In Smash, Mario and the gang are "normal-sized" to match their official proportions. Geno, only being seen at a proper size in SMRPG, now has a bit of a problem on his hands. He's technically a smidge taller than Mario, but having him keep his proportions and simply matching the height would make Geno look a bit... bulky.

Would you rather have Geno keep his squat stature to preserve his look, or stretch him out to match the rest of the characters?

Personally, I prefer the air would let them make him taller and leaner. We've already seen how this design could look in Smash with Geno's Costume having to fit the proportions of the Mii Fighters in Smash 4. It looked good on the costume, and I'm sure it would look good on the character.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
For some more Genospeak, here's something that is extremely important to a character in Smash but is often overlooked: their size. Usually, fitting a character to their relative size isn't too difficult in the world of Smash (:ultolimar: with :ultkirby: a :ultridley: few :ultmetaknight: exceptions). Geno is a weird case, though. If he becomes a fighter, he would have to conform to some sort of standard, just like the rest of the gang. The issue that arises is how SMRPG's characters are designed. The game exists with chibi-esque squat proportions for the characters, including the main cast. In Smash, Mario and the gang are "normal-sized" to match their official proportions. Geno, only being seen at a proper size in SMRPG, now has a bit of a problem on his hands. He's technically a smidge taller than Mario, but having him keep his proportions and simply matching the height would make Geno look a bit... bulky.

Would you rather have Geno keep his squat stature to preserve his look, or stretch him out to match the rest of the characters?

Personally, I prefer the air would let them make him taller and leaner. We've already seen how this design could look in Smash with Geno's Costume having to fit the proportions of the Mii Fighters in Smash 4. It looked good on the costume, and I'm sure it would look good on the character.
Ness size.
I think... I don't have any problem with a *Slender* Geno but you know ;3

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120

Id imagine he's about the same height and weight class as Mario. (At least for me personally)

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I’m conflicted, because on the one hand the squatness is iconic, but on the other hand someone drew THIS
C60689CD-B979-4249-ACF8-62F1D8D1E5B0.jpeg

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I mentioned it before, but my hope for Geno is that Sakurai has him designed through the same method Pit was for Brawl, except with a Mario based angle.
I’m conflicted, because on the one hand the squatness is iconic, but on the other hand someone drew THIS
View attachment 256268
Not quite sure if this would be the result of the above idea, but it's still great. I do wonder how people would react to a taller and leaner Geno.

Edit:
Will say, this design kinda feels like the Mega Man X to the original Geno's Mega Man. Not a bad thing, just something I noticed.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice hey man, I was just a little bit curious. Arle from poyo poyo gets thrown around surprisingly a lot from big names in the smash speculation game. Is Arle a genuine contender in the race or is this some kind of wild card guess or a red herring?

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I am going to show my ignorance but is this a true statement?

I thought the top selling video game of all-time was Wii Sports.

Top selling free video game was Super Mario Brothers 3.

Top selling series use to be the Sims.

Most downloaded game on PC use to be Doom 1 Episode 1 (keep in mind it was Shareware).

Perhaps Minecraft has overtaking all of these giants.
Not to get too off topic, but, Minecraft has sold over 180 million copies, making it the best selling video game of all time. This milestone happened somewhat recently (last year), effectively placing Minecraft over Tetris.

link2702

Smash Champion
I think a “slightly” taller and slimmer geno would be fine, but tbh that above image is a bit overkill imo. Something in between the original and that.

Though we also got to remember that canonically, geno is closer to the same build as mario, so if he’s wildly out of proportion to Mario’s form in smash it’d look waaaay to weird.

Honestly it’d probably be best to keep him height wise as close to mario as possible, while allowing some room to change the rest of his body proportions so he doesn’t look awkward.

JayZoob

Smash Rookie
I really don't wanna get my hopes up for a direct next week after being burned by the Terry presentation, the Game Awards, and this week on Fighter 5. I feel that DMC3 tweet is honestly the best evidence we have for it at this point as I kinda consider the pattern of a general direct after a pokemon direct to not be that concrete yet. However the DMC3 news could also just be posted randomly without being part of a presentation. I am honestly not sure what to think anymore and just going back to going with the flow and seeing where this wild ride of life takes me!

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I really don't wanna get my hopes up for a direct next week after being burned by the Terry presentation
How were you burned by the Terry presentation? Nintendo literally told us that the presentation would only talk about the content regarding Terry.

We were warned ahead of time. I myself didn't believe at first, either. But I considered the possibility and accepted the truth that the presentation would be only Terry.

I just wish it wasn't so stupid early in the morning.

JayZoob

Smash Rookie
How were you burned by the Terry presentation? Nintendo literally told us that the presentation would only talk about the content regarding Terry.

We were warned ahead of time. I myself didn't believe at first, either. But I considered the possibility and accepted the truth that the presentation would be only Terry.

I just wish it wasn't so stupid early in the morning.
When it was announced the Mii leak had just happened and there was this VERY brief period of time where people thought because of its length that 5 had to be announced there AND THEN the tweet came out saying they would not be announced there. So yea I didn't go into the presentation expecting it since at that point I already knew it wouldn't happen

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice hey man, I was just a little bit curious. Arle from poyo poyo gets thrown around surprisingly a lot from big names in the smash speculation game. Is Arle a genuine contender in the race or is this some kind of wild card guess or a red herring?
She's kind of an insider meme and that's about it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
She's kind of an insider meme and that's about it.
You mean they dont think she has a chance at all meme? I was about to post she seems more and more likely, Papagenos is making a good case for her.

Honestly, i feel FP5 is her, Dante, or a different female. Her or a female tie to daisy theory, color theory, and it just feels right. Dante i think is either FP5 or the 6th fighter given what the creators have been saying date wise. Next week is a nintendo direct for sure thanks to that, the 16th. Mostly likely just DmC3. But they also said 2 other dates, specifically Feb 13th i think. I feel that may be when FP5 is shown off by sakurao and dropped, and he may tell us who the first of the next fighters os.

Or if we go with the idea of multiple characters beeing announced to slow the blow back of FP5, and if the 6th was always planned as a bonus, i can see Arle announced next week, and Dante.

Tabbender

Smash Rookie
Or we could stop spreading misinformation and wait for people with legitimate information to say something.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Or we could stop spreading misinformation and wait for people with legitimate information to say something.
Seems like no one has legit information. Vergeben has been mia for over a week, and sabi isnt saying anything. Fatman is the only one saying anythimg and hes just speculating not leaking. We have no idea what is actually happening.

All we can do is look at what has been said or shown. That dante info is very interesting, and sega has been pushing Puyo Puyo hard on the switch recently.

Tabbender

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
You sound upset sir. Don't worry, they're only theories.
If anything i'm fascinated by how much drama you guys are able to generate over fake leaks and stupid theories. At this point literally anybody could show up and say they have insider knowledge, you guys would start believing them, fighting and trying to dox people over it.
At this point i just hope actual insiders start saying things again. This community is starving.

D

Deleted member

If anything i'm fascinated by how much drama you guys are able to generate over fake leaks and stupid theories. At this point literally anybody could show up and say they have insider knowledge, you guys would start believing them, fighting and trying to dox people over it.
At this point i just hope actual insiders start saying things again. This community is starving.
lol
Nobody on our end has been doxing anyone. I think you're in the wrong thread bud.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm early 18, so I'm unsure what I'm technically called. I've heard both zoomer and millennial!
According to the Oracle (Google), the millennial generation was between 1980ish and the early 2000's. I suppose that would put you right on the border of both millennial and zoomer....poor sucker. As for me, I was born in 1986, however, I honestly feel like my generation is markedly different from the stereotypical millennial, hence, I don't consider myself a millennial. I've seceded from that particular generation and consider myself on the tail end of Gen X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom