• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Happy thanksgiving everyone! Hope you have a good one! Spend time with your family and eat good food!

Another one bites the dust
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Wait there was a Phoenix Wright leak?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I've got a question for you, if you wouldn't mind. You said Lloyd and a wild card are on about equal grounds. If you had to take a guess on who this wild card would be, who does your gut say has a good shot?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Not great... I know you're a big Shantae fan (I am too) but Shantae kind of gets steamrolled. Not only haven't we heard her but we haven't heard any Indie characters, we've heard very few Western characters, and we've technically only have heard one female character and it's less of a name and more of people agree that Nintendo's probably going to try to have a least one before DLC is over.
I guess it's kind of a pipe dream to hope that your buddies up there are just not saying anything to try and blindside you all while you're focused on the bigger names.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If Lloyd finishes off this pass and the next one winds up being Geno, Doomguy, Nightmare, Crash, and [insert Capcom character here] that would be an incredibly solid lineup.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Lloyd finishes off this pass and the next one winds up being Geno, Doomguy, Nightmare, Crash, and [insert Capcom character here] that would be an incredibly solid lineup.
I wouldn't complain in the least. Especially if that Capcom character is Wright. :v

OffBi

Smash Ace
Is it possible that the 7th dlc character is Rayman?
Ubisoft made a 3d model back in smash 4, so it could be possible that they use that model for him?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
2B- Similar boat. All the names we've heard have longevity in the Smash fanbase with like half the list going back to Brawl or even Melee. In my opinion, she's "too new" and if Nintendo was going to cash its chips for one female character in DLC, I doubt it would be her. I'm more inclined that Nintendo would go with someone like Dixie (@ChronoBound ) that fans have been requesting for ages than someone who's been kind of niche and you can count the years of being semi relevant on one hand. Sure, people point at Joker and Hero but, guys... Come on... Persona is a spin-off of SMT and goes back to the SNES days and Dragon Quest goes back to the NES and is often credited with full on starting the JRPG genre. It's not comparable. It's like comparing the Looney Tunes to the Minions it's just... No... No... Harsh but it needed to be said.
That last line is totally unnecessary and you know it, lol.

2B is 100% comparable to Joker. A 2017 rep from a critically acclaimed game in a series with an interesting legacy (and Nier Automata had more commercial success than Persona 5).

And Ericthegamerman is 100% right in how the eras are with the franchise. You really can't separate Joker and Persona 3-5 from the Hashino era of Atlus compared to the Kouji Okada era of basically everything else. Are there Persona 1-2 spirits? What about music? What about ANYTHING related to SMT that isn't Persona 3-5? There's nothing there. The Smash representation for Persona starts in 2006 and doesn't even treat it as a spin-off of SMT (which btw is a spin-off itself).

Meanwhile, Nier is all Yoko Taro and has been since the first Drakengard in 2003. There are no separate eras here unless you want to push the "successful" era and "please give me money to make bizarre yet thoughtful things" era as two different time periods. I'd almost say that would make 2B's addition more intriguing, as Yoko Taro has kind of formed a cult of personality around himself in the same way Suda51 has, which Hashino really hasn't.

Anyway, of course this would be my first post. Hi everyone! Geno's not my top pick, but I'm a big supporter nontheless!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
But... But... Okay. That's actually kind of an exciting revelation. Banjo got a big trademark renewal last year and then Microsoft has gone full honey roasted ham on Banjo cameos and merchandise since. If Nintendo themselves is hyping up Tales, it stands to reason that the situations are very similar.
Not to mention that certain pieces of merchandise were revealed prior to any solid confirmation of Banjo in Smash, ones that featured his newly revamped design (Rare logo and all). That could definetely be something to look out for.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
You might need to expand your gaming horizons a bit if the only character you want out of those is Geno. All of those are heavy hitters across multiple genres and generations of gaming.
You can like a game and not want it's character in smash. Minecraft is one of my favorites (been playing it since the beta days, back when a single water block could flood everything), and I always come back to it, yet I despise the idea of Steve coming anywhere near smash.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I wouldn't complain in the least. Especially if that Capcom character is Wright. :v
Gun to my head I'd pick Phoenix over Dante just because I think there's a lot more freedom in coming up with an insane moveset for a middle aged lawyer that doesn't really feel like anyone else

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
You can like a game and not want it's character in smash. Minecraft is one of my favorites (been playing it since the beta days, back when a single water block could flood everything), and I always come back to it, yet I despise the idea of Steve coming anywhere near smash.
This is what I was getting at when I said I absolutely adore Halo yet never pictured Chief in Smash. I don't even hate the idea, just never flirted with it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is a -5/10 hot take, my boy. You keep arguing about more liberal ideas, yet when it comes to someone talking about what they personally want you tell them to play more games and change their opinion?

Let me give you a personal example.

I was born in 1991, so the 80s era of gaming other than a sliver of Megaman, Pac-Man and fighting games are lost on me.

I never played Ninja Gaiden in any form unless you count playing as Ryu Hayabusa a little in the newer Dead Or Alive titles.

Crash was never in my taste, but Spyro is to me as Crash and Banjo are to some of you guys, which is why playing through Reignited has had highs and lows for me due to those rosy lenses.

I'm actually down for Sephiroth with my new-found love for FF7 but I must say that he doesn't seem feasible outside of an AT or Boss or Stage Hazard much like Ridley got up until recently.

Nightmare isn't my favorite Soul Calibur character, but I agree that either him, Siegfried or both are the perfect Soul Calibur rep and I would love to see them...but I kinda have fighting game bias and it feels like 85% of the Smash fanbase doesn't want more fighting game reps.

I love Sol Badguy but Guilty Gear is one of the fighting games titles I do not have a history with and I feel like the more anime-esq fighting game characters would be a backseat for the more renown ones, but I wouldn't hate Sol or a GG rep at all. "ROMANTIC!"

I have no attachment to Tales Of outside of my friend Leena, to which I have to root for Lloyd and I also like his design better. Yuri is alright and he feels like he would potentially offer a more traditional samurai playstyle based on his art, but I'm pushing for Lloyd BABYYYY~!

I love Dante despite never truly playing a DMC game in my life. His cocky attitude and ridiculousness and weapon variety are incredible and I think he would be an amazing inclusion.

This is like me telling people to go play more SNK games so you can now like Terry. While that is something I did, it was more of a 'Hey, respect the legacy, you bloody zoomers.' then anything else really. People are allowed to enjoy what they want and they don't need to play anything, though I would encourage someone to play SMRPG before hating on Geno, so I understand where you are coming from but the push for personal diversity here kinda smells.

If it was more like 'Hey, these games are good, so here's a recommendation AND you may learn to like the character more' that would be different, but this feels more like pushing someone to play these games so you can be justified in your own stance, and I don't like that. Glitch doesn't have to agree with you, and even with my small list of wishes for Ultimate Geno is number above all the others. I just recognize legacies when I see them.
I feel like, hey experience more of the world and learn more about it is about the most "liberal ideology" one could have. There's more to enjoy than whatever closed circles of experience we as individuals have and my point is that, yes, these characters cover a lot of ground for gaming as a whole and if none of them even get a little bit of excitement, then that just seems like an absolute shame. And it especially comes off as weird when a fan base talks about "Oh, I never experienced 'X' series until Smash pushed me to and I loved it afterwards" about a ton of Nintendo games and that push to experience new series and give them a better chance defines what people love about Smash, but then third parties come along offering the same opportunities and people turn their nose at them and said opportunities. I know neither of you are saying that specifically, but it seems like such a weird plurality to have regarding experiencing new things on a more personal note I guess.

You're allowed to enjoy and dislike whatever you like of course, but again, why not just be more open to more of these games and give them another shot? Hell, half of these characters come from titles whose individual entries play wildly different from one another and give the opportunity for more experiences to be had that are unique from one another. We're 81 characters deep right now, not everything is necessarily going to be a winner for you present or future, but there has to be a large amount of content you like in the game at the very least with some chance for more. And you can find new favorites by exploring stuff. If I was too pushy sounding, that wasn't my intent and I apologize, but I've never understood the mentality against really giving all these things a shot and seeing if you can't fall in love with them despite not growing up with them or whatever. Diversity in experiences is a good thing we should encourage people to participate in as much as possible as it further connects us to the world and one another. I mean, you and I may not like every character on that list, but we've given them a real shot over the years and still come out with a couple that seem like great options for us.

She won't be in the pass, and she's way less important of a pick on the list of requested Square reps. She's just not as wanted as others.

That's just how it is, mate. I get you like her, but maybe you should rally support for her then, because she kinda needs it.
I don't even love her that much, I just think she's a possibility that these people downplay a lot for unwarranted reasoning (such as releasing in 2017 despite future DLC being chosen in 2019). She's not as directly Smash fan base wanted as others, but she totally works as a character and has a little more popularity as a modern icon than I think you've specifically been willing to give her. Though I certainly agree she isn't happening the pass, but in the future she does have a possibility (however small that is or isn't).

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
So, quick question, why are people taking about Nightmare being in the next pass? I know Fatman heard about him, but is that the only reason?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Actually Sabi and I have made fun of Vergeben on multiple accounts now for coattail-riding things other leakers have said, including Sabi. Sabi never said Jonesy was in nor were they involved in that stupid 4chan leak, they just entertained the idea as they genuinely love Fortnite...one of the few things I hold against them but I let it slide since they are the only insider that I get to chat with. Also, read my previous paragraphs that show that Vergeben's info was nothing new in the insider circle for pretty much his entire career for Smash Ultimate minus maybe Isabelle and Incineroar.
Alright then, though I am kind of confused since Sabi did seem to imply people should keep their eye on the leak as if he had info, but meh; and as for Vergeben, Sabi did want him to say things first, so I assume we can still trust that what he says at least comes from insiders, even if he’s piggybacking after all...

And, I don’t see why you’d hold liking a videogame against someone...

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Alright, I'll bite. Totally ignoring SMT, Persona still goes back to 1996 and literally only considering Persona 3-5, that still goes back to 2006, two years before Brawl. Furthermore, Nier Automata was a 2017 release. Even if you whittle it down, 2B is still incredibly new, even further highlighted by how a Sun and Moon Pokemon was merely a placeholder for a Pokemon rep when the Ultimate development plan started in late 2015.
The Nier series goes back to 2010. And it is a spinoff of the Drakenguard series, which started in 2003.

You are acting as if Automata is the only game in the franchise.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hey everyone, just wanted to say that I’m thankful to have this community of nerds to chat about Smash with and I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving, be it with friends, family, or even just yourself.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Most I know about Phoenix Wright is all the Ace Attorney gifs people on SmashBoards post. Never played the series but I'd be happy for his fans of Phoenix got in.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
But... But... Okay. That's actually kind of an exciting revelation. Banjo got a big trademark renewal last year and then Microsoft has gone full honey roasted ham on Banjo cameos and merchandise since. If Nintendo themselves is hyping up Tales, it stands to reason that the situations are very similar.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
REAL
IRVING
HOURS

anyway, Lloyd would be sick and I'd be happy to have him. Might pick up Tales of Symphonia on Steam...

D

Deleted member

Seems there was a possible Phoenix Wright leak with details about him being an upcoming character but it got disconfirmned? Devil May Cry is great. But if Pheonix Wright representing Ace Attorney got in I'd be down I've never been big into the series. But from the demos I've played of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destines and Spirit of Justice.

I'd be down 100% to see him in great character from a series I like. I'd like too see him in. But let's see where this goes for now.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Seems there was a possible Phoenix Wright leak with details about him being an upcoming character but it got disconfirmned? Devil May Cry is great. But if Pheonix Wright representing Ace Attorney got in I'd be down I've never been big into the series. But from the demos I've played of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destines and Spirit of Justice.

I'd be down 100% to see him in great character from a series I like. I'd like too see him in. But let's see where this goes for now.
There was a post on twitter claiming that a "respected French journalist" was naming Phoenix Wright as Fighter 5. Then Sabi came and said that it was fake (albeit without completely deconfirming Wright in general).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If there is something Ace Attorney fans know, it's no matter how rough a case looks, there is always a way to turn it around. My boy is in!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There was a post on twitter claiming that a "respected French journalist" was naming Phoenix Wright as Fighter 5. Then Sabi came and said that it was fake (albeit without completely deconfirming Wright in general).
That so huh? Oh well least he still has a chance. But for now another character has been disconfirmed. For fighter #5 Pheonix still has a chance thankfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Oh okay then thanks for clarifying.

Well anyway I hope he is a future pick would be a great one. And definetly cool for the Ace Attorney fans.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Jesus, there's so much talk and so many rumors being spread just weeks before the Game Awards. I don't have much excitement for FP5 with how things have turned out so far, so I'm just waiting to see what's the first fighter post-pass and build up my expectations from that once again. The first pass started off with my absolute least favorite character in the pass so far and I was worried about Hero being announced alongside Steve, but I just exploded in happiness when Banjo got revealed.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sabi didn’t disconfirm Phoenix at all, he was just saying what the French dude was saying, that the leak ended up being fake.
The Fortnite part was a joke.

I may dislike a number of newer games for being uninspired or for the shady stuff that the companies behind them do, but I would never hate anyone for a game they like. Even Fortnite, which killed Paragon due to how Epic Games's greedy selves work, I won't hate someone for playing it. I will probably think that we cannot relate on the games that we like, but I would never hate someone for loving a game. My only issues come from people supporting games that have serious issues and acting like nothing is wrong.

I've played games no one even knows about and love them dearly, so ya know.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Fortnite part was a joke.

I may dislike a number of newer games for being uninspired or for the shady stuff that the companies behind them do, but I would never hate anyone for a game they like. Even Fortnite, which killed Paragon due to how Epic Games's greedy selves work, I won't hate someone for playing it. I will probably think that we cannot relate on the games that we like, but I would never hate someone for loving a game. My only issues come from people supporting games that have serious issues and acting like nothing is wrong.

I've played games no one even knows about and love them dearly, so ya know.
Oh okay.

Sometimes I can’t really tell what’s a joke and what’s not unless there’s some clear wording or emoji, so that’s my bad.

I don’t really like Fortnite, either; nothing against the game, and I’d be happy for fans if it ended up in Smash one day (even if I’d feel conflicted with it getting in before Minecraft tbh, despite them having nothing to do with each other and I’m against this line of thinking), but it’s just not my thing I guess. My younger bro plays it, though, but I think he’s even gotten tired of it, only playing with friends sometimes...

I think I’ve seen someone bring up Epic Games’s problems before, and yeah, that sucks. None of their games really interest me anyway, unless Slime Rancher counts (though I think it was made by different people and just ended up on the Epic Games store, got it for free).

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I was gonna stay silent on the matter since this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've had to bring it up but joker doesn't represent anything besides p5 in anyway whatsoever. He's is only in p5, his icon is p5, his stage is p5, and every piece of music or collectible sprite added alongside him is from the modern, social link, post p3 era of persona, where it seems as far as atlus is concerned p1,2,if don't exist and the only thing the series shares with its peers now are the monster pool, and I hear 5 comendeered the creature collection of smt proper. As much effort as sakurai has put forth to honor the legacy of the series he works with and to emphasize iconicness over relevancy the fact that sakurai's choice to only include p5-3 content out if all the megaten games he could have asked to get some trinkets for is incredibly damning on both his and atlus' s intentions.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Been pretty serious the past couple days, so time to add some levity.

Literally the entire Smash community whenever a leaker speaks up since Terry's gameplay breakdown:

Hell,that was the whole schtick after Banjo, but we really are in a strange place right now. Geno being one of the most wanted and LLoyd is really seeming like the 5th character.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
which I'm fine with honestly. Lloyd is cool.
Also my friends have no idea what Half-Life is... I was very disappointed.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! May your day be filled with family, friends, turkey, and whatever makes you happy and are thankful for. Very thankful and happy to be part of this thread with so many like minded fans. :)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 dude you really got to chill out on Fatman.

I understand being skeptical and I get that Fatman likes to make crazy theories and says stuff that he later goes back on but he’s not claiming to be a leaker, he’s just trying to help us get a sense of what’s going on in insider circles without making an explicit leak that “x will happen” or “x will bot happen”. Your problem is your assuming him to be a leaker when he’s not. He’s more of a well-informed speculator

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Didn't golden sun get something similar but nothing came out of it yet?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Didn't golden sun get something similar but nothing came out of it yet?
Yes, multiple franchises have gotten specific trademark renewals, and none have really pointed to Smash. Tales in particular just seems odd because, like, yeah, Bandai-Namco would like to continue holding on to Tales and marketing it given it is one of their more successful franchises.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm gonna straight up say that I hope the SE character isn't Lara Croft or 2B because I don't see SE getting more than 1 character in whatever second wave of DLC is coming next and I just want Geno in. Geno just also feels like he has more potential as an interesting and unique fighter.

Ryu - Didn't like Ninja Gaiden
Crash - Didn't grow up with Playstation. More of a Sega/Nintendo/Banjo platformer myself. So no emotional connection to the character like others have,
Sephiroth - Didn't like Final Fantasy
Nightmare - Never cared for Soul Calibur's gameplay style. But if this is what nightmare looks like, that would be pretty cool. We need more bad guys.

View attachment 248560

Sol - Prefer other guilty gear characters
Lloyd/Yuri - Trying to get around to playing it
Dante - Want Wright more, doubt Capcom would get more than one rep so if it's Dante that means no Wright.
Nightmare is a really cool character. Very classic fall and redemption character, great design, and having a swordie have inputs like the shotos and Terry would be really fun. Also more villains is always nice. I'd most prefer him out of the three mentioned because I actually have a connection to Soul Edge/Soul Calibur. But at this point Lloyd seems more likely. The silver lining to Lloyd getting in would be a proof that more mii costume characters are getting upgraded to playable in SSBU.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This was probably the fastest Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom