• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I'm typically quite the optimist, but I'm not getting strong "Smash announcement" vibes for EVO.

If we do, then I'm sticking to my earlier predictions (Namco and Capcom characters for last two, Geno as individual DLC) and guess Heihachi given the venue and Tekken's popularity (although I've become more inlined to think KOS-MOS is the Namco rep). However, I think EVO might be a good venue for Geno as there probably is substantial overlap between the competitive community and players that frequently support Geno.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
One of the most important reasons I need Geno in, it would make me feel better about the Grinch leak.

I get that it was just an unfortunate circumstance of events, but I remember feeling so giddy and excited at the thought of such highly requested characters making it in.

The big 2 on that leak personally for me were Isaac and Geno. Shadow was an awesome echo, and Banjo is cool, but the meat of the leak definitely seemed to be the first two aforementioned characters for me.

I know it's over for my boy Isaac, but really, just getting Geno in would make me feel better about both of them. Should I pray for Geno's return?

CraziiDamon

Smash Rookie
One of the most important reasons I need Geno in, it would make me feel better about the Grinch leak.

I get that it was just an unfortunate circumstance of events, but I remember feeling so giddy and excited at the thought of such highly requested characters making it in.

The big 2 on that leak personally for me were Isaac and Geno. Shadow was an awesome echo, and Banjo is cool, but the meat of the leak definitely seemed to be the first two aforementioned characters for me.

I know it's over for my boy Isaac, but really, just getting Geno in would make me feel better about both of them. Should I pray for Geno's return?
You should always pray for Geno's return

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I got my flight to my friends wedding in September booked! So Sakurai has tweeted about EVO, eh? Not surprised, his game is closing it out.

Since people were asking, I could not find anything about him posting about VGA 2018, so who knows if he did or not? Knowing more times then not, if he posts about an upcoming event, something Smash related happens. (Still may not happen)

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Hello, fellow Geno supporters! I have come to a realization that I have not yet made myself known over here as a supporter. With all of this evidence for Geno slowly piecing itself together, what better time to join than now? Honestly wanted Geno since the Smash 4 days, right behind King K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo, and with them finally making it in Ultimate, it's Geno's time to Smash!

As where I think he fits in to the Fighter's Pass, I'm on the bar where it's 50/50. My hopes have certainly risen a lot more now that his costume is strangely missing, though I am containing my hype to a minimal level. Don't want to raise my hopes up too hard, after all!

I think that with Nintendo making a bigger presence at EVO than previous years, we may get something of value. Whether it is an announcement of a direct, a character reveal, or even a stage reveal (I'm joking on this one), we'll most likely get something.

Changing subject, who would you use to fill those 11 spots?
This is my hypothetical list for bonus fighter passes (if Echoes and Assist Trophies are allowed here).

Fighters Pass #1 (Third Parties Pass)
1. Joker from Persona
2. Hero from Dragon Quest
3. Banjo & Kazooie from Banjo Kazooie
4. Doomslayer from DOOM
5. Namco Representative (I don't know what)
Bonus Fighter: Geno from Super Mario

1. Announced at VGA 2018

2. Announced at E3 2019

3. Announced at E3 2019

4. Doom has gotten a lot of games ported to the Switch, as well as Bethesda's comments.

5. ???

6. Geno needs to be in. Enough said.

Fighters Pass #2 (First Parties Pass)
1. Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong
2. Black Shadow from F-Zero
3. Mona from WarioWare
4. Impa from The Legend of Zelda
5. Porky from Earthbound
Bonus Fighter: Bandanna Dee from Kirby

1. Dixie Kong would work as a semiclone and use her hair as the main focus of her attacks. She would also complete the DK series' list of main protagonists.

2. Black Shadow could work either as a semiclone or an echo fighter with darkness properties akin to Ganondorf.

3. Mona could work as a Bowser Jr.-esque character in that she rides her scooter while throwing different types of attacks around.

4. Impa could allow the Zelda series to have representation that is not from the Triforce.

5. Porky strangely does not have a spirit, as well as the fact that he is not a boss in World of Light, when they have brought back Galleom.

Bonus. Bandanna Dee could add more representation to the Kirby series, as well as be a nice bonus.

Fighters Pass #3 (Assist Trophies Promotion Pass)
1. Waluigi from Super Mario
2. Isaac from Golden Sun
3. Ashley from WarioWare
4. Skull Kid from The Legend of Zelda
5. Shadow from Sonic the Hedgehog
Bonus Fighter: Krystal from Star Fox

1. Waluigi is genuinely one of the characters I wanted to see as a fighter, being my second favorite Mario character in the series aside from Wario. I understand that Waluigi is a character most people do not like due to how he has become a meme, though he would be the only character (after getting Geno, of course) that would complete the Mario list of characters for me. This would be the first assist trophy from Brawl to be promoted.

2. Ashley is one of the most popular characters in the WarioWare series, aside from maybe Mona and Jimmy T. I wouldn't mind if WarioWare had two reps; the more, the merrier! (Sorry, my inner fanboy for Wario's franchises is showing.) This would be the first assist trophy from Smash 4 to be promoted.

3. Isaac was robbed in the base game. While I have never played the Golden Sun series, I did like him as an assist trophy in Brawl and thought it would be cool if he was a character. His inclusion would give his fans justice. This would be the second assist trophy from Brawl to be promoted.

4. Skull Kid is another character that could allow the Zelda series to have representation that is not from the Triforce, as well as another antagonist. Yes, I know that Majora's Mask is the true antagonist here, but for simplicity's sake, we'd have Ganondorf and Skull Kid for antagonists. This would be the second/final assist trophy from Smash 4 to be promoted.

5. Shadow was my most wanted character after King K. Rool got in, and him being an assist trophy again hit me hard (until Piranha Plant got in, which made a dream I once had literally come true). Being in the same boat as Waluigi as a longstanding assist trophy, I put Shadow in this spot as he is not only the only third party assist trophy on this list, but it would be fitting for the Ultimate Lifeform to be the Ultimate Assist Trophy promoted (no hate to the other assist trophies, this was only a pun!). This would be the third/final assist trophy from Brawl to be promoted.

Bonus. Krystal would complete the Star Fox series of characters for me. That is all.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
FP#4 - Crash Bandicoot
FP#5 - Doom Slayer

FP2 #1 - Geno
FP2 #2 - Master Chief
FP2 #3 - Dante (for the music and stage alone, otherwise Phoenix Wright goes here lol).
FP2 #4 - Sora
FP2 #5 - Nightmare

Final Characters Outside of Passes:
1. Isaac
2. Dixie Kong
3. Bandanna Dee
4. Excitebiker
5. Chibi-Robo (one of my most wanted characters, but he’s dead thanks to Nintendo).

I’m a big fan of making the crossover bigger and better, so I say let’s go that route. The final five are basically the only first party fighters I’m interested in and think are worth including. Excitebiker more as just a concept for a really cool and new vehicle based fighter. Marx would be my preferred Kirby rep, but I’m relenting given Dee’s popularity and his second spot status in my liked Kirby fighters.

Edit:
Also, honorary mentions to Steve, Professor Layton, and a Tetromino, who just missed my third party preferences. Amaterasu seems like too niche of a pick, but she’s my choice for Capcom overall though I didn’t include her here as well (Dante would just be hilarious and great all around though, and Phoenix could have a really unique moveset, so I included them over her).

I’d also totally love to see The Arbiter from Halo as a semi-clone to Chief from my massive Halo love and little bit of bias, and Coco Bandicoot seems like a natural Echo to Crash, so i’d Be willing to replace the final two fighters I picked for them haha.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Something that makes me doubt anything will be announced at evo is the fact that not a single leaker has come out and said anything aside from MAYBE bird up guy. There's not a single person that's come out and said, "yeah something is gonna happen at evo". Either this announcement is the greatest secret Nintendo has kept on lock, or we ain't getting nuffin'.

D

Deleted member

Something that makes me doubt anything will be announced at evo is the fact that not a single leaker has come out and said anything aside from MAYBE bird up guy. There's not a single person that's come out and said, "yeah something is gonna happen at evo". Either this announcement is the greatest secret Nintendo has kept on lock, or we ain't getting nuffin'.
I'd say wait and hold that judgement until the end of Saturday. We still have an entire day left and even if we didn't K. Rool while being heavily speculated upon was kept a full secret up until his reveal and so was Joker so who's to say this potential reveal isn't kept secret like those previous two.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
On top of that, I’m pretty sure that no one leaked the Direct announcement from last year either, so if they do something similar and announce, say, a livestream of a character trailer, there’s precedent for us to not know about it in advance.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
My personal Fighters Pass picks and prediction :

FP 1* :
  1. Joker
  2. Hero
  3. Banjo&Kazooie
  4. Professor Layton
  5. Doom Slayer
FP 2* :
  1. Bandana Dee
  2. Astral Chain Protags
  3. MinMin
  4. Gen 8 Pokemon (Evo of Grookey)
  5. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
FP 3* :
  1. Ryu Hayabusa
  2. Crash Bandicoot
  3. KOS-MOS
  4. Leon S. Kennedy
  5. Geno
  6. End Bonus : Travis Touchdown

RingJ5

Smash Ace
In alphabetical order since I can’t quite decide on placement, and considering Geno is already up there in that example:

Bandana Waddle Dee
Doomguy
Frisk
Isaac
Karate Joe
Kratos
Master Chief
Rex
Shantae
Sora
Waluigi

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last year's EVO Direct didn't get leaked either, in fact, the only character that was successfully leaked was Simon. Joker's announcement managed to stay a secret too.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
https://ibb.co/3N81KVX
Kind of random and pointless but about the starling picture, if you brighten up the picture the colors look extremely identical to Geno...
If that’s really the original image and something didn’t get mixed up somehow, then that... certainly could mean something.

I would laugh so hard if the leaker already had a really bright screen and thought the meaning was obvious.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
If that’s really the original image and something didn’t get mixed up somehow, then that... certainly could mean something.

I would laugh so hard if the leaker already had a really bright screen and thought the meaning was obvious.
---
https://ibb.co/Vv0bgDf
here's one I made with the original image with a cropped zoomed-in version of both...
I'm being honest, all I did is brighten up the image...
only time will tell if this truly means something though.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
11 spots? Holy cow:
  1. Geno
  2. Isaac
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Ashley
  6. Master Chief
  7. Steve
  8. ...
You know what? I don't even need that many characters in Smash; it can end after that lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm assuming that assist trophies are ruled out, but spirits aren't. Considering that number 4 would be Geno in this scenario...

FP1 #5: Doomguy/Doom Slayer (DOOM)

FP2 #1: Dante (Devil May Cry)
FP2 #2: Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
FP2 #3: Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
FP2 #4: Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
FP2 #5: Impa (The Legend of Zelda)

FP3 #1: Terry Bogard (The King of Fighters/Fatal Fury)
FP3 #2: Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)
FP3 #3: Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
FP3 #4: Rayman (Rayman)
FP3 #5: 2B (Nier Automata)

I lost a bit of steam towards the end; I feel like that many DLC characters is a bit much, but I went with whoever I thought would be cool or would work well in a fighting game like Smash.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Last year's EVO Direct didn't get leaked either, in fact, the only character that was successfully leaked was Simon. Joker's announcement managed to stay a secret too.
And even when Simon was leaked, Richter wasn't.

In fact, that's interesting. Since Richter was from the same series, an echo, and tied to Simon's trailer, I'm surprised Richter wasn't leaked. I'm curious what the leaker got in information then, unless the source just said Simon was in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Heck, it's a testament to Ninty avoiding too much getting leaked at some events when SFV had its cover blown wide open before this event even started. Valve be like:

And even when Simon was leaked, Richter wasn't.

In fact, that's interesting. Since Richter was from the same series, an echo, and tied to Simon's trailer, I'm surprised Richter wasn't leaked. I'm curious what the leaker got in information then, unless the source just said Simon was in.
It was the first sign that Vergeben's sources were flaky and inconsistent when, alongside that, one of them assumed that K. Rool wasn't in.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Heck, it's a testament to Ninty avoiding too much getting leaked at some events when SFV had its cover blown wide open before this event even started. Valve be like:

It was the first sign that Vergeben's sources were flaky and inconsistent when, alongside that, one of them assumed that K. Rool wasn't in.
To be fair, Vergeben felt that the 'No DK rep' claim was bunk. He didn't believe it.

The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that Richter wasn't leaked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Happy birthday to Sakurai-san!

What a wonderful coincidence that he celebrates it the day my friends come home!

MattX20

Smash Hero

He also failed to mention Joker as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, Vergeben felt that the 'No DK rep' claim was bunk. He didn't believe it.

The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that Richter wasn't leaked.
Yeah, though he's not going to live down the assumption that Minecraft would get a DLC boss on day one. Him saying that BK got in like some other leakers did almost seemed like covering his ass at this point.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Where did this 11 character business come from?

Anyways.. I probably wouldn't even need 11. Give me Geno, Dixie, Isaac, Krystal, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee (for the fans) and I would never need another character ever. Geno alone is more than enough, the rest is just gravy.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
He also failed to mention Joker as well.
Well, to be fair, I'm not going to use what they didn't say as a mark against a leaker. They could easily miss a character because their source didn't mention anything about them or potentially didn't know themselves.

Yeah, though he's not going to live down the assumption that Minecraft would get a DLC boss on day one. Him saying that BK got in like some other leakers did almost seemed like covering his *** at this point.
Yea, he came out to support Banjo after many other insiders already did and practically the day before E3, so that felt like damage control after the minecraft stuff.

There was a theory that the Minecraft claim came from code in the game that said Enddragon or something similar, and I think that wording has a connection to Minecraft? But it could be referring to Ratholos who is a Dragon at the End of Classic mode.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I was searching for a video for a very long time ago and I finally found it! I had to talk to a Japanese person to find it! Slender Slender you might find this video useful
So here it is the original arrangements of many SMRPG songs before they were converted to the SNES soundfont it even has the forest maze!!!

The SMRPG hunt is not over yet still i hope we get a clear version of Culex official artwork soon because it does exsist but blurry image and the other SMRPG early characters concept art that we have never seen before.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
EVO 2019 SSBU Grand Finals come up Sunday, and this starts playing in my mind. :seuss:

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
I was searching for a video for a very long time ago and I finally found it! I had to talk to a Japanese person to find it!
So here it is the original arrangements of many SMRPG songs before they were converted to the SNES soundfont it even has the forest maze!!!

The SMRPG hunt is not over yet still i hope we get a clear version of Culex official artwork soon because it does exsist but blurry image and the other SMRPG early characters concept art that we have never seen before.
That's so cool!

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
There was a theory that the Minecraft claim came from code in the game that said Enddragon or something similar, and I think that wording has a connection to Minecraft? But it could be referring to Ratholos who is a Dragon at the End of Classic mode.
There were people claiming that somewhere internally, Rathalos is referred to as 'enddragon' (or something similar to that), which could've been mistaken for the 'Ender Dragon' from Minecraft.

I don't buy that story for a lot of reasons though. For one; I know that Rathalos is referred to as 'lioleus' internally (a romanization of it's Japanese name that isn't typically used; Liolaeus is more common).

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
To fill 11 spots, I would have, in no particular order and no restrictions (uniques and echoes):

Geno
Dixie
Doc Louis
Crash
Ninten
Kamek
Boshi
Protoman
Isaac
Tails
Black Mage

Ovaltine

Smash Master
1-11 characters to fill the last slots? U- uh... um...

1) Geno
2) Geno
3) Geno
4) Geno with a top hat
5) Geno with cowboy boots
6) Geno with Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen's hat
7) Geno with a ducky water tube
8) Geno but pink
9) Geno
10) ♡♪!?
11) Crash Bandicoot :starman:

ivanlerma