• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I struggle with pie because I don't like pie crust. It's just crumbly **** that tastes like cardboard. If more pies did Oreo crumb crusts they'd be higher on my list.
I had a slice of key lime pie recently that was presented as a narrow rectangle—no crust—just kind of a cookie crumble base with slices of kiwi and whipped cream on top.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If nothing else, waking up to the news of Geno being revealed would be something. August 5th is my birthday after all so seeing a Smash reveal first thing waking up would be pretty sweet.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
EVO Finals for Ultimate starts at 7PM PST right? That's pretty much 10PM EST start for us folks on the East Coast.

Given the the tourney goes on for like 2-3 hours, I hope I won't have to wait until 12-1AM to see if there's a reveal happening. If something like this were to happen, hopefully they announce it ahead of time.
That's 1 to 2AM here once it ends. I am not staying up that late for a low chance of news. Nothing has been officially confirmed that any Smash news will happen after EVO, so I don't need to feel like a zombie the next day due to lack of sleep over a maybe.

I will check the Smash site first thing the next morning, then Gamexplain.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Whoever the next DLC character is I just hope that Sakurai just stops with the RNG when making the Fighters, I honestly can't stand how much RNG goes into The Hero. I love myself some good randomness, heck I only play Smash Bros by selecting the random character option, but I can't have fun whenever I use Hero's command list. I like Mr. G&W hammer attack because despite it doing 9 different things it at least does damage. Hero's command list though, it sucks having a move that you can't even count on with each spell that shows up being completely random. Anytime I use The Hero I'm just going to ignore that command list and use everything else. Also pretty cool how his neutral special makes him to the Kamehameha motion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's 1 to 2AM here once it ends. I am not staying up that late for a low chance of news. Nothing has been officially confirmed that any Smash news will happen after EVO, so I don't need to feel like a zombie the next day due to lack of sleep over a maybe.

Yeah same. A surprise first thing in the morning is better than feeling like a zombie crazy o' clock at night. More so on my Birthday. :)

T2by4

Smash Lord
I just want to one day stumble in this thre

Waking up and seeing the Geno Splash Art for his introduction would be so nice. Maybe some day...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, ending at 12 PM on my end, if I'm not mistaken. Works for me, I'll probably skip most of the matches anyway. Only downside is I got work the day after, but I probably won't oversleep much over 6 AM. Assuming I don't get overexcited over the reveal enough to not sleep.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
3-6AM for me is only ok for me because I'm on my school holidays rn. I really don't wanna sit through ~3 hours of professional smash at ****-off o'clock to maybe get an announcement so I'll probably pass on this one.

This does remind me a little of the pre-VGA wait. I remember thinking it wasn't worth it (and I was right lmao) and in the morning HOLY **** JOKER? I NEVER SAW IT COMING!
That feeling of pure shock was fantastic to me, honestly. I'd love to see the same with our boy.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna watch EVO either way cause I wanna see Nairo wreck house assuming he gets in the top 8 and even if he doesn't I've never seen an EVO top 8 before and I actually enjoy competitive Smash so of course I'll be staying up.

And hey if by the end Geno gets in Smash? Well that'll make my entire year boosting 2019 from "Eh" to "Oh my gosh yes! I love this year!"

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, one last thing before I go to bed. When's the SFV roster reveals happening? I may see those for jollies, even though I know who's coming already.

Edit: Eh, I'll check the response in the morning, gonna need lotsa sleep before the big day.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even without the absence of the Mii costume, can we just stick on why exactly people still think Geno is totally impossible? Good lord, just look at this game:

-Every single character that's ever been playable in the series.
-Three characters that Sakurai previously said weren't going to happen anytime soon (Daisy, Ridley, and Chrom)
-Inceniroar when everyone and their grandma insisted it was going to be Decidueye before Vergeben came along
-Richter... just Richter. There was literally no reason to use the resources to make this character aside from pleasing Castlevania fans but they did it anyways.
-Dark Samus was a character that hadn't had a major appearance in 11 years and yet another character they didn't need to add outside of fan service.
-A character that's only Nintendo appearance was a Sonic the Hedgehog costume before he was picked for DLC (Joker)
-A character that hadn't had a notable Nintendo appearance in almost 20 years (K. Rool)
-Not one but FOUR characters from arguably the most legally convoluted franchise in all of gaming (Hero). Oh, did I forget to mention that this is LITERALLY THE FIRST TIME THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO APPEAR SIDE BY SIDE IN THE FRANCHISE'S ENTIRE 33 YEAR HISTORY merely because Sakurai wanted it to happen?
-A common enemy (Piranha Plant)
-A character of a direct competitor of Nintendo that hasn't had a game on a Nintendo platform in almost 15 years (Banjo)

So... that basically just leaves Inkling and Isabelle that were "safe" bets, Ken (yet another character they didn't have any reason to add outside of fan service to Street Fighter fans because god knows he wasn't topping any polls) and Simon. You have characters that were cut and gone for multiple games, literally turned down by Sakurai himself, absent from gaming in notable ways for a decade or even longer, owned by as many as four separate IP holders, are a minor, nameless enemy in their respective franchise, owned by Nintendo's competition, and had one minor cameo on a Nintendo platform before getting picked and yet, for whatever reason, Geno's this wonder-child of impossibility because of *checks notes* a PNG and Square Enix having 2 DLC characters is a big no-no-ah-boo-boo according to literally no-one?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Even without the absence of the Mii costume, can we just stick on why exactly people still think Geno is totally impossible? Good lord, just look at this game:

-Three characters that Sakurai previously said weren't going to happen anytime soon (Daisy, Ridley, and Chrom)
-Inceniroar when everyone and their grandma insisted it was going to be Decidueye before Vergeben came along
-Richter... just Richter. There was literally no reason to use the resources to make this character aside from pleasing Castlevania fans but they did it anyways.
-Dark Samus was a character that hadn't had a major appearance in 11 years and yet another character they didn't need to add outside of fan service.
-A character that's only Nintendo appearance was a Sonic the Hedgehog costume before he was picked for DLC (Joker)
-A character that hadn't had a notable Nintendo appearance in almost 20 years (K. Rool)
-Not one but FOUR characters from arguably the most legally convoluted franchise in all of gaming (Hero). Oh, did I forget to mention that this is LITERALLY THE FIRST TIME THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO APPEAR SIDE BY SIDE IN THE FRANCHISE'S ENTIRE 33 YEAR HISTORY merely because Sakurai wanted it to happen?
-A character of a direct competitor of Nintendo that hasn't had a game on a Nintendo platform in almost 15 years (Banjo)

So... that basically just leaves Inkling and Isabelle that were "safe" bets, Ken (yet another character they didn't have any reason to add outside of fan service to Street Fighter fans because god knows he wasn't topping any polls) and Simon. You have characters that were cut and gone for multiple games, literally turned down by Sakurai himself, absent from gaming in notable ways for a decade or even longer, owned by as many as four separate IP holders, are a minor, nameless enemy in their respective franchise, owned by Nintendo's competition, and had one minor cameo on a Nintendo platform before getting picked and yet, for whatever reason, Geno's this wonder-child of impossibility because of *checks notes* a PNG and Square Enix having 2 DLC characters is a big no-no-ah-boo-boo according to literally no-one?
Crumb Cake though
The contrast between these posts is something magical

valkiriforce

Smash Ace

I wanna give you a big high-five for this post. I'd pay you in cakes but I'm guessing you take pies?

By the way, if Geno gets in someone should make a Geno cake/pie.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So thinking about Geno having timed hits as a mechanic. His specials would absolutely have that mechanic, but not sure about the smash attacks.

I could see the smash moves work in some fashion. Lets say his forward smash is a stand punch throw (like Sonic), but if you hit A at the right time, it turns into a rocket punch and extends a bit farther.

Also, I just thought about an alternate up smash! Instead of Geno Flash (The Cannon) why not Geno Blast (The flashy one). I could see him charge it up above his head and throw it below him, thus sending him upward.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So thinking about Geno having timed hits as a mechanic. His specials would absolutely have that mechanic, but not sure about the smash attacks.

I could see the smash moves work in some fashion. Lets say his forward smash is a stand punch throw (like Sonic), but if you hit A at the right time, it turns into a rocket punch and extends a bit farther.

Also, I just thought about an alternate up smash! Instead of Geno Flash (The Cannon) why not Geno Blast (The flashy one). I could see him charge it up above his head and throw it below him, thus sending him upward.
Yeah I've been really iffy on the concept of a timed attack mechanic. It seems nice where it fits naturally like pressing to detonate the genowhirl but for the most part it seems to just be an additional button press for every attack you do and that looks like it will be murder on my hands.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I imagined timed hits just being stronger variations of a lot of his moves with no special animations other than the sound effect from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. You do it by hitting the attack / special button RIGHT as it hits to deal increased damage and knockback, and to compensate attacks with this mechanic have a bit of hitstun so you can actually get the timing down. Timing window would be strict, but like the original game, it really rewards mastery of the mechanics and timing. Pull off a string of timed hit attacks and you can KO someone stupid early.

Couple that with the prospect of having projectiles galore with guns in his arms, hands, and fingers and you have someone that really lives up to his Star Warrior title.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Clearly, the best pie is apple pie (a la mode especially), with the best cake being Carvel ice cream cake.

Nothing can top these. Ever.
>carvel ice cream cake
That is my absolute favorite cake of all time, but I haven't thought about it or had it in so long. You just opened up a dusty box in the back of my brain. Whatever they put in between the layers of ice cream is like cold heaven.

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
Where are my lemon pie lads at

Every type of dessert is better with lemon and that's fact don't @ me

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Someone forgetting about Persona Q2.

Also I know this is gonna be a broken record from me but it's not "Spirits are deconfirming characters," it's the same thing with Assist Trophies & Mii Costumes; these characters aren't deconfirmed because they're Assist, Mii Costume, or a Spirit, they are those things because there wasn't plans for them. Characters are chosen first and roles like Spirits and Assist are chosen after the fact. Ultimate had it's DLC planned out for a while, if there's a Bonus Fighter then yeah Spirit Restriction thrown out the window depending on what time it was planned. Second Fighters Pass all restrictions are all off.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Cookies N' cream Ice cream cake is my absolute favorite thing when it comes to desert.

or Cookies N cream anything really.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Someone forgetting about Persona Q2.

Also I know this is gonna be a broken record from me but it's not "Spirits are deconfirming characters," it's the same thing with Assist Trophies & Mii Costumes; these characters aren't deconfirmed because they're Assist, Mii Costume, or a Spirit, they are those things because there wasn't plans for them. Characters are chosen first and roles like Spirits and Assist are chosen after the fact. Ultimate had it's DLC planned out for a while, if there's a Bonus Fighter then yeah Spirit Restriction thrown out the window depending on what time it was planned. Second Fighters Pass all restrictions are all off.
Q2 came out in Japan a few weeks before Joker was revealed and didn't come out everywhere else until about a week before E3 this year. That said, it probably wasn't factored into the decision to add Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom