• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Did we ever come to a conclusion on that mad wee Vifam figure with the gun Sakurai bought? I feel that's potentially very important.
It was never officially revealed. Some think it could've been for Inkling, Some think it could've been for that Custom Robo Mii Costume and some may think it's for Banjo but it was never officially revealed.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Will you guys feel optimism or dread if come the Hero release, Geno's costume is MIA?

I know many fighters such as Chrom and K. Rool have returned as costumes while being also upgraded as playable, but still. Honestly not sure how I'd feel.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Will you guys feel optimism or dread if come the Hero release, Geno's costume is MIA?

I know many fighters such as Chrom and K. Rool have returned as costumes while being also upgraded as playable, but still. Honestly not sure how I'd feel.
Honestly I don't know. I guess I'd feel a bit more hopeful cause the Mii Costume isn't there but I'd want to wait and see before getting my hopes up. For the most part though I'd feel more hopeful.

link2702

Smash Champion
Actually the idea it’s for banjo could have some merit... when he uses kazooie as an egg gun(forgot the official move name now...breegle blaster? Or something like that..) maybe sakurai used that figure for reference.

We literally don’t know, we have no idea what sakurai might be using for anything, and possibly the simplest answer is the right one; sakurai just loves collecting mech figures and gave any excuse he could to justify getting this one.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

It will probably be a mix of both. Obviously the Mii costume being gone would make all of us think something is up, but dread often comes with anything where we are unaware of the final outcome, especially with a community like ours.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Absolutely nothing but optimism. There's pretty much no reason to not port the costume over even if Geno is planned on being made playable, so it not being there throws up a huge red flag especially because they are already using his likeness in the game.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Actually the idea it’s for banjo could have some merit... when he uses kazooie as an egg gun(forgot the official move name now...breegle blaster? Or something like that..) maybe sakurai used that figure for reference.

We literally don’t know, we have no idea what sakurai might be using for anything, and possibly the simplest answer is the right one; sakurai just loves collecting mech figures and gave any excuse he could to justify getting this one.
Yeah it's possible he used the Vifam figure for Banjo but we'd still have to see different angles of the figure and of the move before saying one way or another though it is possible.

The second half of your statement I don't necessarily agree with though, Why would Sakurai need to have an excuse to buy something he may like? You shouldn't care about what others think of what you like or not. Sakurai can like what he wants and there's no shame in liking that kind of stuff.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think the Vifam figure would've been used for any DLC, or at least Sakurai's original statement wasn't referring to it. Ultimate DLC wasn't a thing before 2018.

link2702

Smash Champion
Yeah it's possible he used the Vifam figure for Banjo but we'd still have to see different angles of the figure and of the move before saying one way or another though it is possible.

The second half of your statement I don't necessarily agree with though, Why would Sakurai need to have an excuse to buy something he may like? You shouldn't care about what others think of what you like or not. Sakurai can like what he wants and there's no shame in liking that kind of stuff.
Well idk if sakurai is a married man or not, but i am, and sometimes my wife isn’t too happy when i buy something odd or unnecessary (in my case, old radios...) so I gotta come up with something to say for why I bought it...:rolleyes:

Jokes aside though, the point i was getting at is, maybe the figure had no real purpose other than sakurai wanting it, and with him being so well known, people started speculating why, so sakurai might have simply joked saying it was for research or something.

Again it might just have had no real purpose other than him wanting it.

Firox

Smash Master
Absolutely nothing but optimism. There's pretty much no reason to not port the costume over even if Geno is planned on being made playable, so it not being there throws up a huge red flag especially because they are already using his likeness in the game.
This. If the costume is MIA then I'm 99% confident that Geno is confirmed.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did we ever come to a conclusion on that mad wee Vifam figure with the gun Sakurai bought? I feel that's potentially very important.
No one's figured it out yet. Most people nowadays propose Doom Slayer given it's almost 1:1 with the standard assault rifle he uses. Geno could work too if they stick with the standard style of the Mii costume. Either way, Ultimate doesn't really have anyone that fights with that style of weapon yet. Inkling's splatgun is too stumpy for the style so I doubt it was for her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No one's figured it out yet. Most people nowadays propose Doom Slayer given it's almost 1:1 with the standard assault rifle he uses. Geno could work too if they stick with the standard style of the Mii costume. Either way, Ultimate doesn't really have anyone that fights with that style of weapon yet. Inkling's splatgun is too stumpy for the style so I doubt it was for her.
I haven't heard about the Doomguy idea before. Does it really look like his assault rifle?

StormC

Smash Hero
He bought the figure in January 2017, a year before DLC was being decided on, so I don't think it matters much. Maybe he just wanted to say it was for his game so he could write it off as a work expense, lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
He bought the figure in January 2017, a year before DLC was being decided on, so I don't think it matters much. Maybe he just wanted to say it was for his game so he could write it off as a work expense, lol.
Wouldn't that be a little out of character for him?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
If it's for Geno or the Slayer, one of my most wanted is getting in, which is great! When did he buy the figure, though? If it's before May 2016 he had his eye on Slayer before his game was even released, which is (so far) quite unlike Sakurai, and we don't tend to get the best look at guns in classic Doom games, which makes me lean a little more towards Geno here.

EDIT: Jan 2017. No clue then.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm another one of those in the Doomguy/Geno camp. Though if I had to have one of them I'd make it Geno just to end the suffering here, as much as I love Doomguy.

All the same, I hope we can get either one or both of them.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
View attachment 230516

For reference. Either way, it's a high powered but mid range weapon.
That's the Super Shotgun. The Heavy Assault Rifle looks like this:
https://doomwiki.org/w/images/9/98/Codex_har.bimage.png

This looks quite like the Vifam gun (shorter barrel is only difference) so I guess I'm jumping on the Slayer boat. I do hope it's Geno, but Slayer is my number two pick.

EDIT: ****, it looks a lot like a slightly more complex Mii Costume's gun. Just box up the stock and it's twinsies.

Mii Costume: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ShUs6dMmCJM/hqdefault.jpg

Vifam: http://nintendo.pe/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/vifam.jpg

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 230516

For reference. Either way, it's a high powered but mid range weapon.
That does look surprisingly like the Vifam figure admittedly but depending on when Sakurai bought the figurine the time-frame may not match up for Doom Guy getting in. If he bought it before Doom 2016 came out it seems unlikely for it to be for Doom Guy and that would make me lean back on it being A) For Geno or B) Scrapped.

Plus I don't really know how likely two Western reps and two new companies would be for DLC as Smash 4 brought only one new company which was Square. (Not including stuff like Platinum and Atlus since they're owned by Sega.)

It seems to be a great fit but I still have doubts, I'm not saying it can't happen though I'm just doubtful.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
That does look surprisingly like the Vifam figure admittedly but depending on when Sakurai bought the figurine the time-frame may not match up for Doom Guy getting in. If he bought it before Doom 2016 came out it seems unlikely for it to be for Doom Guy and that would make me lean back on it being A) For Geno or B) Scrapped.
He bought it late in 2016.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
He bought it late in 2016.
Yeah the timeline does fit up with Doom Guy then.. Honestly the Vifam figure was one of the reasons I remained hopeful for Geno and if it really is for Doom Guy then I have no idea how likely Geno may be.

Still I don't know how likely getting two companies of which are American/European in as DLC is. We'll just have to wait and see.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah the timeline does fit up with Doom Guy then.. Honestly the Vifam figure was one of the reasons I remained hopeful for Geno and if it really is for Doom Guy then I have no idea how likely Geno may be.

Still I don't know how likely getting two companies of which are American/European in as DLC is. We'll just have to wait and see.
It's certainly possible. Sakurai did make some sort of statement about this sort of thing in relation to Grant Kirkhope, right?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Sakurai knew about Ultimate DLC until Nintendo told him their plans last year tbh.

I think the Vifam gun was likely just used as a model for any character with a gun, no matter the kind of gun, if it was even used for Smash. He uses little figures to help him model characters anyway, and the figures aren't specific ones of the characters if Brawl stuff is any indication.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think Sakurai knew about Ultimate DLC until Nintendo told him their plans last year tbh.
I am sure Sakurai suspected it would be a thing eventually. Either way, maybe the Vifam was made for a character he was trying to envision, but didn't make it into base for whatever reason? That could explain it's existence and why it would play into DLC, as now he could possibly pursue said character now that the roster is expanding a bit more.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I am sure Sakurai suspected it would be a thing eventually. Either way, maybe the Vifam was made for a character he was trying to envision, but didn't make it into base for whatever reason? That could explain it's existence and why it would play into DLC, as now he could possibly pursue said character now that the roster is expanding a bit more.
Possibly, if it's a character Nintendo had in mind.

I'm not sure, though. The gun could've just been used to represent any gun, like the wooden figures he used for characters in Brawl. He didn't specifically say Smash when talking about it, either, though I guess "next project" was most-likely Smash tbh.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Possibly, if it's a character Nintendo had in mind.

I'm not sure, though. The gun could've just been used to represent any gun, like the wooden figures he used for characters in Brawl. He didn't specifically say Smash when talking about it, either, though I guess "next project" was most-likely Smash tbh.
Maybe, but I am sure things like the guns size and shape matter for this sort of thing.

I forget, did Sakurai say that he was only getting the figure because of the gun, or was the whole figure needed for what he was envisioning?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Maybe, but I am sure things like the guns size and shape matter for this sort of thing.

I forget, did Sakurai say that he was only getting the figure because of the gun, or was the whole figure needed for what he was envisioning?
I think he talked about its gun specifically.

yeah I'm sure the size matters tbh so I guess it could be for Doom Guy or whoever, though from what he's said about DLC I don't think he would've been planning on it at the time.

Nicnac

Smash Ace

He just said he needed it as a reference for his work in one article, another says the rifle. None are direct quotes I think.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think he talked about its gun specifically.

yeah I'm sure the size matters tbh so I guess it could be for Doom Guy or whoever, though from what he's said about DLC I don't think he would've been planning on it at the time.
Thanks for the reminder.

As for the second thing, this is my belief on that.
Either way, maybe the Vifam was made for a character he was trying to envision, but didn't make it into base for whatever reason? That could explain it's existence and why it would play into DLC, as now he could possibly pursue said character now that the roster is expanding a bit more.
He just said he needed it as a reference for his work in one article, another says the rifle. None are direct quotes I think.
So I guess we aren't sure? I was just wondering due to how the mecha could factor into this. If the figure itself factored in, that would fit a similarly armored character like Doomguy.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Reminder that the Vifam rifle could've been used for a non-playable character, like an AT or something. Not saying it was, but it could've been.
After this Fighter Pass, I think it'll be about time to drop the Vifam figure from speculation entirely, honestly. We're rapidly approaching the point where it'll be way too outdated to have any bearing on the current situation whatsoever. We're probably the only ones who still remember that old thing, to be honest.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The mech gun wouldn't be for Doomslayer or Inkling or something. Those already have modern renders to base them off of. How would an unrelated toy gun help when he's just going to make it look like something that already exists anyway? If it was used for smash, it's either for something that doesn't have a modern version and thus needs an original model, or something Sakurai made up like the spirit board gun or something.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Reminder that the Vifam rifle could've been used for a non-playable character, like an AT or something. Not saying it was, but it could've been.
After this Fighter Pass, I think it'll be about time to drop the Vifam figure from speculation entirely, honestly. We're rapidly approaching the point where it'll be way too outdated to have any bearing on the current situation whatsoever. We're probably the only ones who still remember that old thing, to be honest.
Only NPC I can think of would be Ray Mk.III, but he was in Brawl, so I don't think it's that. I do reckon it's Geno or Slayer.

StormC

Smash Hero
Again... why would the Vifam model be for a DLC character if it was purchased in early 2017 and the DLC wasn't finalized until 2018?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Again... why would the Vifam model be for a DLC character if it was purchased in early 2017 and the DLC wasn't finalized until 2018?
It could be that it was a character that Sakurai considered for base game, but couldn't pan out for whatever reason base game wise. So when DLC became a thing, the character had a second chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom