• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
What did Sabi say?
Something in the next Content Approaching trailer is massively salt-inducing and will cause dislike bombs. That's all, but the working theory that some here (including myself) have is that that isn't Geno's costume, but something else entirely. We're not sure as to what it is, but Geno's been seen as out of the running by many since he's a spirit, so it probably isn't him.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Yeah while the person who snapped at Ovaltine may have came off as a bit rude I can't say that he's entirely wrong about it. I don't really enjoy how much negativity is in the air right now and it can be draining a lot of the time but I don't blame anyone for it, It's entirely possible we get the Mii Costume to return but until then I'd say we should be Optimistic and fight for Geno as long as we can instead of roll over and accept it.

While it's unlikely there's always a chance of Geno's Mii Costume to not return akin to how Jacky and Akira's Mii Costumes didn't return. They straight up removed some Mii Costumes and from a relatively niche franchise to boot so I think if there were any Mii Costumes cut from Square it would be Geno as he kind of fits alongside Jacky and Akira in the Niche yet has a following kind of formula. Or, At least Niche in terms of the other franchises from Sega and Square respectively.

Both are Niche and the Virtua Fighter Mii Costumes were cut, That may not be a pattern but it happened and if there were to be cuts from past Square Mii Costumes? I'd bet they'd rather cut Geno's Mii Costume over a Mii Costume from their best selling Franchise which is Final Fantasy.

It's not a pattern and it's not confirmed but if there were to be cuts I'd bet it would be Geno over a Final Fantasy Costume and maybe, MAYBE that may be the salt-inducing thing as a "Hey why didn't Geno at least get his Mii Costume back?! That's unfair!!" Kind of way and if Hero does come this week as others have said Sabi's source would've/might've heard something about Geno but nobody said anything not even Fatman.

But that's just a theory. A game theory thanks for reading, Sorry I couldn't help but do that.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Something in the next Content Approaching trailer is massively salt-inducing and will cause dislike bombs. That's all, but the working theory that some here (including myself) have is that that isn't Geno's costume, but something else entirely. We're not sure as to what it is, but Geno's been seen as out of the running by many since he's a spirit, so it probably isn't him.
I see. Why do we think Geno's costume isn't returning?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
No way can we give up now - you gotta take note from the K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo fans - keep making noise and someday we'll be heard. It may be a long road but they've all reached a place where they can rest now; our time will come eventually.

I will keep supporting Geno until he's confirmed, then I'll finally rest and watch the sunrise on a grateful universe.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
No way can we give up now - you gotta take note from the K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo fans - keep making noise and someday we'll be heard. It may be a long road but they've all reached a place where they can rest now; our time will come eventually.

I will keep supporting Geno until he's confirmed, then I'll finally rest and watch the sunrise on a grateful universe.
That's the spirit! The only limiter on a character getting into smash is Sakurai and how much money nintendo is willing to give him to make the game!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think the Mii costume affects Geno's chances all that much. If he gets in, it's probably not going to be in this fighter pass. I think miscellaneous dlc is his best shot. If there's no Mii costume, it makes it look a little better, but there are plenty of reasons it could not be there. If the Mii costume returns, all it means is that he's not in this fighter pass, which was already extremely likely, but he could still be dlc down the line, which imo is his main shot anyway. I think Geno is a prime candidate for extra dlc once the fighter pass is done regardless of what happens.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I wouldn't take Fatman's words at face value.

The Update video thing was only a conversation we had awhile back regarding possibilities and doesn't mean anything from what the NOA Ambassador thinks. I can tell you what the source knows at most currently but for the sake of Sabi's well being i'm going to keep shut.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
As I said on the DLC Speculation thread:
Yeah I hang out in the Geno Thread a lot and even I know it's not a very good idea to take his word as gospel as it's mostly interesting Speculation.

I wouldn't exactly say he has no information whatsoever though as he is in contact with Sabi, Just take what he says with a grain of salt as while he makes a lot of interesting points and shares some information occasionally he still isn't an insider at all.
So I agree I would take his word with a grain of Salt but what he says is fun to speculate about and interesting to read. He mostly Speculates and when he posts info we can entertain the thought and keep it at the back of our minds while still taking it with a grain of salt. He's fallible just like the rest of us even though he may or may not have info at times.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Most of us reckon it is, we just don't think it'd be the salt inducing part.

EDIT: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , if you're reading this, has Sabi elaborated on the salt-inducer to you? If you don't think you can give specifics, that's fine, just a yes or no.
Also backing this up, since having multiple sides of the same story is key. Sabi's words were not meant to be a direct confirmation of 4.0's update video/highlight/announcement containing content that would cause any controversy or salt. More of a passing opinion/comment that might have been accidentally interpreted as legitimate info. It's less "This next update will have some salt" and more "Can't wait to see how this turns out".

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yeah, you're being an *******.

Look, I get behaving like ***** towards guys that can definitely behave like jerks (like yours truly), but I think there's a line crossed when you start taking **** out with Ovaltine. If you like someone when they're happy and positive, you gotta like them when they're not having a great time. This is some fair weather bull****.
You are the one being an asshole here, honestly: our Duck Queen is VERY vocal over Geno's chances, and they fluctuate a lot. One day it looks good, next day it doesn't.

I think he/she is well within his/her right to point out that it's gotten a little old. He's/She's basically speaking for multiple people at this point. We don't want her to leave by any means, we all love Duck Queen, but even I have come in here and looked at her posts and been "Sigh...Aww ****, here we go again!"

The Update video thing was only a conversation we had awhile back regarding possibilities and doesn't mean anything from what the NOA Ambassador thinks. I can tell you what the source knows at most currently but for the sake of Sabi's well being i'm going to keep shut.
Huh...weren't you the one who came into this thread and threw a ton of shade at fatman for little to no reason?

I recall this for some reason, though it may not have been you.

Also, we should take anything with a grain of salt, because leakers haven't been concrete on a damn thing for a long time.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Curious. Could content appearing from third-party franchises or games that have never been on a Nintendo platform cause a salt or a fireworks show?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Um, it's taken me so long to even make even one post here. I'll just say that I'm not too aware of how Geno is as a character in SMRPG, but I like RPGs, so maybe I would try the game if I had an opportunity. Not many Mario characters interest me too much, but he seems just my type of character based off of what I usually hear from people. I wouldn't mind him finally getting his chance.

Probably very late to this, but I'd like to be considered a supporter. Also because Luigi The President Luigi The President convinced me a long time ago.

Curious. Could content appearing from third-party franchises or games that have never been on a Nintendo platform cause a salt or a fireworks show?
Among certain fans, maybe. But I don't see adding content like that being a problem, especially when it potentially brings in even more fans to the series and Nintendo as a whole. In terms of marketing, it can be a big win.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Huh...weren't you the one who came into this thread and threw a ton of shade at fatman for little to no reason?

I recall this for some reason, though it may not have been you.

Also, we should take anything with a grain of salt, because leakers haven't been concrete on a damn thing for a long time.
You shouldn't accuse people of something you don't even remember happening, no matter the situation. But on topic, Rummy has popped in to clarify some information that has been posted here before, as do I. It's not throwing shade just to point fingers; we both speak with Sabi and Fatman and are merely here to help specify and corroborate information, as well as pointing out when things are wrong. No foul play, just covering bases.

Um, it's taken me so long to even make even one post here. I'll just say that I'm not too aware of how Geno is as a character in SMRPG, but I like RPGs, so maybe I would try the game if I had an opportunity. Not many Mario characters interest me too much, but he seems just my type of character based off of what I usually hear from people. I wouldn't mind him finally getting his chance.

Probably very late to this, but I'd like to be considered a supporter. Also because Luigi The President Luigi The President convinced me a long time ago.

Among certain fans, maybe. But I don't see adding content like that being a problem, especially when it potentially brings in even more fans to the series and Nintendo as a whole. In terms of marketing, it can be a big win.
Welcome to the thread! You joined us at just the right time. Happy to see new faces show up on the daily!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well first of all Nintendo made a list of characters that could be DLC and Sakurai gets to choose who he wanted from that list.
Sakurai got to pick the base roster, and it was stated that Sakurai wanted Joker in so he got some sway in it. Plus I doubt Nintendo was the one who put Piranha Plant on the list since it's the only DLC character that has a Palutena's Guidance, which points to Piranha Plant being a base game character that was chosen by Sakurai.

If Sakurai wanted to he could've gotten Geno in. But he didn't. Instead it looks like Sakurai had no interest in Geno's inclusion. In Sakurai's mind Geno doesn't need to be in the roster in order for this game to be consider Ultimate.
First off, the name is Special in Japan, so he doesn't even consider the game Ultimate as you're implying since that's just a decision on the English translation team's part. And secondly, Ultimate doesn't imply **** about the game's new fighters and I wish people would stop using that baseless idea as some sort of argument point. It's just supposed to be a hype title that references the Everyone is Here mentality as Ultimate/Special refers more to the culmination of past work rather than anything of the new. Sakurai has went on record several times about this.

Sakurai also gets to choose from a list, if Geno isn't on that list, then he didn't really choose anyone over Geno because he didn't have a chance in that scenario. Plant was also clearly not part of the rest of DLC and we've been over Plant plenty already, so we're not getting back into it.

Ironically, I think there wouldn't be all this apprehension with geno if the developers DIDN'T give him so much attention. When the main developer, who got Cloud, Hero, Banjo, Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, etc in the same game, goes on to mention that he is a fan of Geno, that he wanted him in Brawl, acknowledges the fanbase over the years, gives a special splash screen to his Mii costume and makes a spirit set-up that perfectly matches what he did in his home game, you can't blame people for thinking he might be playable. People are getting frustrated because it comes off like the developers are wishy-washy and don't want to commit to making him playable and instead dance around it with pointing out his popularity and his content. People are wondering what push the developers need to finally inch over the finish line and add him officially to Smash.
I don't if we can really call Sakurai wishy-washy on Geno. He's literally only been addressed once in Smash history with the Mii costume. Everything related to Geno and Smash originates from a relatively tiny timeframe and it's not like he has clearly gone back on any of those stances or done anything to earn a wishy-washy descriptor. The only other things is his Spirit in World of Light, which doesn't really change much of Geno's situation. While I agree that we interpreted a lot of this event about Geno as good for his chances, but I do think that a lot of it was also on us as fans doing the usual Smash thing of piecing together a narrative we liked in favor of a character, so some of that disappointment and frustration probably needs to land at our feet as well. With the types of icons and big fan requests that have gotten into Smash that Geno has just been lower priority (and before any one says it, we're not getting exclusively fan requests ever in Smash and that's where we're leaving it so not to get back into things) than other characters so far. Every other major character that gets in should be arguably a point towards Geno's eventual inclusion, but we just don't know where he would have ended up priority wise in deciding Ultimate's roster. Similarly, we just don't know if Geno as playable has a more unknown specific issue keeping him from the game.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really have a feeling Geno will be in ultimate at some point. Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie are all in. Geno is really the last big never ever character left. He's next in line for the trend of breaking preconceived notions about smash characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm confused.

The source says the next video will be unpopular or no?

I get that it's just his speculation though, but it must be bad to easily assume most people won't like it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ForsakenM ForsakenM It's fine, I know Rummy. We're in the same group. Same with Slender. Didn't realize the conversation was merely spit balling because info from Sabi's main Nintendo source is usually vague or cryptic (remember the crabs for Link's Awakening?). I've talked about it before but in these circles it's hard to know when it's actual info or speculation. I apologise.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It'll cause the usual salt that Nintendo purists just leak on a near constant basis about the state of Smash currently. For the most part though, it'll be well received stuff because it just further heightens Smash as the premiere crossover franchise and lots of people enjoy lots of different parts of gaming. There are very few characters that haven't appeared on Nintendo consoles at this point though.

I'm confused.

I get that it's just his speculation though, but it must be bad to easily assume most people won't like it.
According to Fatman, Sabi said something about the next Challenger video being salt inducing. It's possible this could go the same way as the "red carpet treatment for character at E3" where it doesn't quite end up the same way as reportedly heard/speculated. I mean, ****, the worst they can do is a Sora Mii costume and we'll move on like always. I don't really see how you can cause that much salt when Banjo Kazooie, Ridley, and King K. Rool all got in the game. People will *****, but it's not going to mean much or last.

And Sora's the absolute worst case scenario. There's basically nothing else that's going to be able to cause that kind of salt outside of his Mii costume. I mean besides Hero existing in the first place, which... oh well.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Right now there is a lot of pessimism with Geno's chances and a lot of people want to stay positive and keep supporting Geno no matter what since some believe Geno still have a chance even if the Mii Costume is revealed, but here's something that we all got to realize and accept. It doesn't matter anymore. All the DLC characters were chosen long ago and they're all being developed ask we speak. They're not going to chance out the fourth or fifth fighter just because we keep supporting Geno and they're not going drop Geno from the Fighter Pass just because we gave up. Nothing that we do is going to change the outcome of the Fighters Pass and we all got to accept that there's more going against Geno then for him. Maybe there will be more DLC or another Fighters Pass, or maybe Sakurai will drop it after the fifth character is revealed. All I know is that us being on this board trying to stay positive isn't helping anything and the only thing we can do is get active and start trying to contact that we're sick of these scraps and want Geno in Smash Bros not as an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or a Spirit but as a Fighter. That's what we got to do.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Iridium Iridium Welcome to the thread, buddy!

You are the one being an ******* here, honestly: our Duck Queen is VERY vocal over Geno's chances, and they fluctuate a lot. One day it looks good, next day it doesn't.

I think he/she is well within his/her right to point out that it's gotten a little old. He's/She's basically speaking for multiple people at this point. We don't want her to leave by any means, we all love Duck Queen, but even I have come in here and looked at her posts and been "Sigh...Aww ****, here we go again!"
Yeah, my emotions are a hot mess of a roller coaster, and I can't deny that. I'll keep more of a lid on it. It'll be either positivity or neutral stuff from here for the most part.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Right now there is a lot of pessimism with Geno's chances and a lot of people want to stay positive and keep supporting Geno no matter what since some believe Geno still have a chance even if the Mii Costume is revealed, but here's something that we all got to realize and accept. It doesn't matter anymore. All the DLC characters were chosen long ago and they're all being developed ask we speak. They're not going to chance out the fourth or fifth fighter just because we keep supporting Geno and they're not going drop Geno from the Fighter Pass just because we gave up. Nothing that we do is going to change the outcome of the Fighters Pass and we all got to accept that there's more going against Geno then for him. Maybe there will be more DLC or another Fighters Pass, or maybe Sakurai will drop it after the fifth character is revealed. All I know is that us being on this board trying to stay positive isn't helping anything and the only thing we can do is get active and start trying to contact that we're sick of these scraps and want Geno in Smash Bros not as an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, or a Spirit but as a Fighter. That's what we got to do.
It's already happening. Operation Starfall will hopefully bring some momentum with it, with the amazing help of Ovaltine Ovaltine , Xigger Xigger and SSGuy SSGuy . Plans to go public are actually sooner than you think!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Tldr: stop supporting geno in here, our support doesnt matter. Furthermore, contact Nintendo asking for geno, because our support matters.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm confused.

It was an empty statement, supposedly, and not based on any actual information he knew. I took it as him knowing something specific but it was actually kind of a side comment/commentary on the Smash community.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
To that comment of the next video will be "salt inducing" which implies that next time we see a Smash announcement like with Joker's release there might be something about a Mii Costume probably?

The only things that could be matching the description are:

- A Mii Costume of an unrelated character that was requested that could be anyone. (Ex. Sephiroth, Chrono, Or even Sora)

- Geno as a Mii Costume again. (with this I would like to think that people in this thread will take it as only fuel to keep forward as I have seen in the last pages so it might vary if it's good or bad).

- A passing comment about Geno"s fate in the lines of "that's where he looks best" to imply there's no much role to give. This can happen with him or any other character just do you know.

- The Fighter Pass it's revealed somehow to be it and there WON'T BE ANYTHING ELSE AS DLC AFTERWARDS. NOTHING.

- Fire Emblem content of some kind. The "salt induced" or "be on the lookout" comment is very broad can imply many things. And what can make people talking in the large scheme of things? Well, what this point is about.

[Also, is that comment spread about its directed only to this thread? (As in Geno fans) or in general Smash fans? Because if it's the latter then it's going to be more broad and may be a "safe" place to be since if it is the first then it will be something that could hit us.]

^ Nevermind this last part seems like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice already said something about it.

Edit.

Just my $0.02.

:bowser:.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I relate a lot to Ovaltine Ovaltine because Smash speculation can be really draining. It's hard not to get emotionally invested when you spend a lot of time on it. I get the pessimism because sometimes it feels hopeless and it's exhausting to be hopeful. I too have chronic depression and, even though I'm medicated, it ebbs and flows and online forums make you feel as if you can be more blunt about how you feel. It's kind of hard for this fanbase because 1. we're super old not only in our support and the fact that a lot of us are 25+, 2. tons of "oh, so close" moments over the years, 3. lots of "impossible" characters being added in this game and the last, 4. Sakurai's statements, and all that. We're in a weirdly unique situation as a fanbase and it's hard to be a front-runner for it.

Ovaltine has very quickly become a leader in this community and, based on my own experience, that's a weirdly stressful position to be in too. All this said, I get that they're not super optimistic because, in some sense, you also take responsibility for other people's expectations too. It's not logical but, you kind of take blame for the state of things if they don't go right and that's a bit of a weight too. In a way, it's almost like a political campaign but you have even less control over how things turn out.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I relate a lot to Ovaltine Ovaltine because Smash speculation can be really draining. It's hard not to get emotionally invested when you spend a lot of time on it. I get the pessimism because sometimes it feels hopeless and it's exhausting to be hopeful. I too have chronic depression and, even though I'm medicated, it ebbs and flows and online forums make you feel as if you can be more blunt about how you feel. It's kind of hard for this fanbase because 1. we're super old not only in our support and the fact that a lot of us are 25+, 2. tons of "oh, so close" moments over the years, 3. lots of "impossible" characters being added in this game and the last, 4. Sakurai's statements, and all that. We're in a weirdly unique situation as a fanbase and it's hard to be a front-runner for it.

Ovaltine has very quickly become a leader in this community and, based on my own experience, that's a weirdly stressful position to be in too. All this said, I get that they're not super optimistic because, in some sense, you also take responsibility for other people's expectations too. It's not logical but, you kind of take blame for the state of things if they don't go right and that's a bit of a weight too. In a way, it's almost like a political campaign but you have even less control over how things turn out.
It is a lot of pressure. I also feel like I could be and should be doing so much more. I have a lot of creativity in my mind, a huge character arc for Geno in my head, and both art and writing skills that have taken over a decade of honing (I was writing already at 9, drawing digitally at about 11). I want to deliver something for Geno that is huge and incredible, something that does justice to his appeal and potential, but alas, I am just one woman —— a woman with mental issues and chronic fatigue, at that.

Man, I'd love to get something like that done, though. I've done little things for my ideas, but the insurmountable amount of work I'd have to do is insane. Geno deserves that, though. He deserves something MASSIVE that does a lot of justice for him. I'm talking something even bigger than Loopy's color key, which is obviously no small feat for me to do, haha. It'd definitely be a big labor of love.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
geno is gonna be in smash
Hell yeah he will.

I have faith in Sakurai and I believe if he asked Nintendo or Square for Geno they'd be more than accepting of either A) Putting him on the list and getting him or B) Getting him straight up. It just depends on if he asked this time and seeing how he asked for other equally "Impossible" characters I think he very well may have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Given what Sabi's source has said, I'm more inclined to believe that Geno's Mii Costume may not be showing up with the DQ heroes. I'm a little more optimistic because of that and Sakurai's recent interview regarding character selection
I was just about to ask what she said until a read a few messages below. That's very interesting to think about to me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I do sometimes wonder if Sakurai went to Square Enix for Cloud in base and Geno as a potential DLC option, but was offered Dragon Quest by Square Enix to his great surprise and jumped on the opportunity of a lifetime. Not forced or coerced into including Dragon Quest, but simply given the offer. We've seen how little Dragon Quest crosses over with other series and how timid he was in just approaching the "legendary series" (His words). Sure, we know that Nintendo had to put fourth candidates for DLC, but they'd clearly be fine with the concept since Dragon Quest still has the legendary name in Japan and Dragon Quest 11 has been intertwined with the Switch/NX since day one and likely would have that option on the table if Sakurai brought it to them in the first place.

That idea has stuck with me for some time, and while it's entirely speculative, it would make a lot of sense as to why so many other fan favorites are happening right now, but Geno is seemingly left out of the victory parade if you will. Not from any active malice against him from Nintendo or Sakurai, just a genuinely rare opportunity to work with one of Japan's biggest IPs presenting itself and thus taking priority over Geno. Maybe that's a narrative I just tell myself to feel better about things, but I could see it tracking too.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I do sometimes wonder if Sakurai went to Square Enix for Cloud in base and Geno as a potential DLC option, but was offered Dragon Quest by Square Enix to his great surprise and jumped on the opportunity of a lifetime. Not forced or coerced into including Dragon Quest, but simply given the offer. We've seen how little Dragon Quest crosses over with other series and how timid he was in just approaching the "legendary series" (His words). Sure, we know that Nintendo had to put fourth candidates for DLC, but they'd clearly be fine with the concept since Dragon Quest still has the legendary name in Japan and Dragon Quest 11 has been intertwined with the Switch/NX since day one and likely would have that option on the table if Sakurai brought it to them in the first place.

That idea has stuck with me for some time, and while it's entirely speculative, it would make a lot of sense as to why so many other fan favorites are happening right now, but Geno is seemingly left out of the victory parade if you will. Not from any active malice against him from Nintendo or Sakurai, just a genuinely rare opportunity to work with one of Japan's biggest IPs presenting itself and thus taking priority over Geno. Maybe that's a narrative I just tell myself to feel better about things, but I could see it tracking too.
Honestly, I could see that happening. DQ is a big deal, and Sakurai was absolutely GUSHING over the idea of adding DQ into Smash in his latest article. Japan loves DQ, and Sakurai is among them. I really do understand why DQ would take priority over Geno for a whole multitude of reasons, this one included.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That might be a possibility.

Between Geno or the BIG NAME that is Dragon Quest and in Japan, it makes more sense for it to cross over to Smash in the large scheme of things.

If that was the only thing "given" I'd yet to be seen but it adds some reason behind the Hero's inclusion.

:bowser:.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

Okay, Let's try this again. I don't really get this in my opinion it seems weird. Sakurai has been trying to get Geno for about a Decade and decides to drop him just to get DQ when if they're offering it to him straight up it has a good chance of happening again in Smash 6 or whenever? That seems weird.

To drop a Character you've been wanting for a Decade and one that has a big following along the lines of Ridley/K. Rool and Banjo doesn't seem like a Sakurai thing to do. Why not try to get both while he's still there? If they're just offering DQ up to him which is a big, BIG sign of respect due to how weird the licensing issues are who's to say they wouldn't be more than fine with him adding Geno too?

It seems weird but I can't deny that it has a possibility of happening as Polar's Nintendo source went cold on Geno but if that is what happened then.. Yikes.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I somehow don’t think that’s the case, and that Nintendo just wanted to do the Dragon Quest stuff.

Going to Square to get Geno and getting the rights to what was supposedly a more difficult license instead sounds like going to 7-11 to get some pretzels and leaving with a lease for the building- and no pretzels.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of feel like if that was the scenario then Geno would have wound up as an assist trophy like Knuckles, Bomberman, and Zero, all popular characters that were technically beaten out by other characters in their respective third parties. I really don't think it would have been a "take it or leave it" situation especially when Dragon Quest is considerably more complicated and an IP worth millions and Sakurai's already been allowed to work with Geno before.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Okay, Let's try this again. I don't really get this in my opinion it seems weird. Sakurai has been trying to get Geno for about a Decade and decides to drop him just to get DQ when if they're offering it to him straight up it has a good chance of happening again in Smash 6 or whenever? That seems weird.

To drop a Character you've been wanting for a Decade and one that has a big following along the lines of Ridley/K. Rool and Banjo doesn't seem like a Sakurai thing to do. Why not try to get both while he's still there? If they're just offering DQ up to him which is a big, BIG sign of respect due to how weird the licensing issues are who's to say they wouldn't be more than fine with him adding Geno too?

It seems weird but I can't deny that it has a possibility of happening as Polar's Nintendo source went cold on Geno but if that is what happened then.. Yikes.
I imagine at any point Sakurai is trying to procure the rights to any number of series and characters and always has them on his mind. He wants multiple characters in Smash either for himself or for the fans, and Geno is just one of many of those. If Dragon Quest takes a higher priority in his list than Geno, but he has considered it an impossibility or it has too many issues to be a serious contender, then maybe Geno takes up the focus due to his fan demand. Then Square Enix opens up a new possibility for him by offering Dragon Quest as an option for the crossover. Again, this is just hypothetical and I'm not at all saying this is how anything went down.

Maybe the situation is exacerbated by the fact Sakurai knows it will be his last Smash and the "good chance of happening again in Smash 6" means nothing. Or maybe it means everything because he will make another Smash and he can put Geno in then as opposed to now when Dragon Quest is on the table and that's his priority. Priority for Sakurai and Nintendo is what Smash's roster will always come down to at the end of the day, though we'll rarely get any insight into how those priorities actually work.

As for why not both? Maybe Nintendo said only one character per company in the Fighter's Pass. Maybe Sakurai thought that he only wanted to give one Square Enix character the spotlight and felt there was overlap with the two. Maybe both Geno and Dragon Quest cost a lot of money to license and he only had the resources to choose one. Maybe Square Enix isn't super keen on including Geno or two characters in a fighter's pass. They have a vested interest in seeing the continued success and promotion of the Dragon Quest series. They have nothing of the sort for Geno, and that means giving him to Sakurai is practically just doing him a favor compared to their other main IPs. Maybe Sakurai is going to do more DLC for Ultimate and figures he'll get to Geno then. Maybe Square Enix has more sway over the decision making than some people think and they decide that Sakurai only gets Cloud in base if he does the Dragon Quest DLC first (or period). There's so many different ways things could go that result in him walking away (potentially just temporarily) with one instead of the other or both.

It's all hypothetical as hell, and while I'm not usually one to go that route, I still think it's an incredibly interesting concept to consider. Sakurai does seem to carry the good will that few other developers do and seems to have virtually unlimited resources without any directed malice towards Geno and Square Enix seems willing to play ball with Geno in a more limited capacity, so maybe it's just the question of priority that has been the issue up until now. And with both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest out of the way in terms of Square Enix content, Geno's the next in line.

I somehow don’t think that’s the case, and that Nintendo just wanted to do the Dragon Quest stuff.

Going to Square to get Geno and getting the rights to what was supposedly a more difficult license instead sounds like going to 7-11 to get some pretzels and leaving with a lease for the building- and no pretzels.
Sakurai has expressed love and respect for Dragon Quest in the past. Even if Nintendo was more the one pushing for it, he absolutely wanted to work with Dragon Quest too based on his love for 3 and aforementioned respect.

And yeah, your analogy is exactly the point of my crazy little theory. If I know I want the building, but expect to only go for pretzels, and the owner offers me the building I have wanted to work with, you can bet for damn sure I'm going to forget about the pretzels and take him up on the offer. Do I still want the pretzels? Yes. Do I care if I walk away with the pretzels when I'm getting the building I've wanted? Not really. Is one of my kids (I'm going to imagine the fan base as thousands upon thousands of Sakurai's children in the example) back home going to be disappointed I didn't come back with pretzels? Yes, but they'll be OK and I'll tell them why I forgot about the pretzels for the building.... This analogy got real weird, real fast, but that is the point of my idea.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
It is a lot of pressure. I also feel like I could be and should be doing so much more. I have a lot of creativity in my mind, a huge character arc for Geno in my head, and both art and writing skills that have taken over a decade of honing (I was writing already at 9, drawing digitally at about 11). I want to deliver something for Geno that is huge and incredible, something that does justice to his appeal and potential, but alas, I am just one woman —— a woman with mental issues and chronic fatigue, at that.

Man, I'd love to get something like that done, though. I've done little things for my ideas, but the insurmountable amount of work I'd have to do is insane. Geno deserves that, though. He deserves something MASSIVE that does a lot of justice for him. I'm talking something even bigger than Loopy's color key, which is obviously no small feat for me to do, haha. It'd definitely be a big labor of love.
I think you’ve already done Geno justice though. Your artwork is excellent, and although you’ve expressed pessimism about Geno’s current chances, your overall passion for the character is inspiring. From the artistic perspective, even focusing on smaller ideas or vignettes of larger ones will add up over time. Especially since you’re balancing your Geno art with your professional work, know that what you’ve already contributed is appreciated.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think geno will be in if his costume doesn't come back that's the only way i can see it happening luckily enough, we don't have much time to see if that's the case or not .

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think you’ve already done Geno justice though. Your artwork is excellent, and although you’ve expressed pessimism about Geno’s current chances, your overall passion for the character is inspiring. From the artistic perspective, even focusing on smaller ideas or vignettes of larger ones will add up over time. Especially since you’re balancing your Geno art with your professional work, know that what you’ve already contributed is appreciated.
Well, I'm gonna take that as one HECK of a compliment, because I am in NO way a professional rofl. I'm entirely self-taught and never once went to any classes or proper schooling to learn art. I know people who have, who have then relayed tips and such to me, but that's about the end of it. I do freelance commission work sometimes, but that's... about it. My work being likened to that of a PROFESSIONAL, though? YO. That is a crazy compliment!!! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom