• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It seems my joke fell a bit flat this time, so I'll do my best to give an actual list despite me not really wanting anyone other than Geno.

1. Goemon
2. Sora
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Issac

Other than Goemon (and kinda Sora, more so before KH3 and less so after) the rest are ones I think are cool but didn't really want but others do, like K. Rool and Ridley.
YES!!! Another person besides myself that has Goemon as their number 1 most wanted character. :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I decided to look at some gameplay footage for the DQ games to see how the characters were handled as far as the main game is concerned and not official artwork. All of the games prior to 8 were only depicted "chibified" sprites for the overworld only. 9 pretty much being the main exception afterwards is primarily due to the hardware limitations of the DS. So, it pretty much confirms one thing in my mind, it really doesn't make sense for Erdrick to be chibified since Akira Toriyama has given official artwork of the character is supposed to look proper. And since the PS4 version is basically the proper version of XI, the 3DS version doesn't count.
While it's not impossible (for chibi versions), I definitely think the adult versions would make more sense.
If there's some chibi/small characters, it could be Dragon Quest Builders :)

Last edited:

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
A bit late on this but after Geno my dream dlc characters would be
1) Banjo Kazooie
2) Zero
3) Jill Valentine
4) Crono

I also wouldn't mind phoenix wright.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So I did some exploring over at gamefaqs and looked at what people were saying about Geno.

90% of the stuff was jokes about Geno being from EarthBound. Someone will be like, "who's Geno, he's from EarthBound right?" and the rest of the thread just goes downhill from there.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I did some exploring over at gamefaqs and looked at what people were saying about Geno.

90% of the stuff was jokes about Geno being from EarthBound. Someone will be like, "who's Geno, he's from EarthBound right?" and the rest of the thread just goes downhill from there.
where did that joke come from again?

I don't get it, did someone just start it? I get they're both popular RPGs...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

where did that joke come from again?

I don't get it, did someone just start it? I get they're both popular RPGs...
It's a meme where someone said Geno was Sans and you already know the Sans is Ness meme so if Geno is Sans and Sans is Ness and Ness is from Earthbound then Geno is fron Earthbound

(also there's a weird amount of toxicity to Geno fans on Gfaqs)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's a meme where someone said Geno was Sans and you already know the Sans is Ness meme so if Geno is Sans and Sans is Ness and Ness is from Earthbound then Geno is fron Earthbound

(also there's a weird amount of toxicity to Geno fans on Gfaqs)
There's a large amount of toxicity in general on GameFAQs.

That's what happens when you have a site overrun by immature children, I say. Me, the 26-year-old, tired of these darned kids and their newfangled air pods.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

That's what happens when you have a site overrun by immature children, I say. Me, the 26-year-old, tired of these darned kids and their newfangled air pods.
Ovaltine don't go to GameFAQs, oh no she can't hear me she has airpods in!

EDIT: this shouldn't have more likes than Ovaltine's post considering she basically handed me this joke on a silver platter lol go like her post too!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Remember when Gamefaqs was about looking up game strategies and codes? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

That said, another day, another lack of Direct. Like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice relayed, it's likely that we won't get it until next week. Whether it'll be on Valentine's Day or not is a different story.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Remember when Gamefaqs was about looking up game strategies and codes? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

That said, another day, another lack of Direct. Like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice relayed, it's likely that we won't get it until next week.
Maybe it'll be on Valentine's Day solely because Nintendo has some little love letters for us. ;)

D

Deleted member

BACK IN MA DAY WE HAD TO STICK OUR HEAD PHONES IN THESE THINGS CALLED CD PLAYERS. YOU KNOW WHAT A CD IS RIGHT? A CD IS A DISC THAT HOLDS INFORMATION LIKE YOUR SD CARDS! YOU COULD PUT MUSIC ON 'EM AND THEN PUT 'EM INSIDE THE CD-

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
He he yeah, but only on the US/West side, Japan doesn't have its equivalent happen until next month.
Actually, that's not entirely true! Here's some fun trivia for you:

Valentine's Day occurs at the same time in Japan as it does here. However, the celebration is more one-sided in that women traditionally give gifts on this day to men. The opposite happens an exact month after on White Day, in which men who have received gifts on Valentine's Day are expected to give their suitors gifts in return.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
My most wanted DLC outside of Geno? It'd be:
1. Quote
2. Tails
3. Shantae (I feel like she's out of the running though. Not because she's a Spirit, but because of how WayForward had said in they're Tweet when she was officially revealed. Seemed like it was just them latching onto the idea of her coming, but that's it imo. I want her to death though)

But that's honestly it. There's not really anyone else I'd want. And to be completely honest, I don't really care what DLC characters get in. Whatever we get I'm sure I'm bound to enjoy it, both the fighter and character themself, as there's not really anyone I WOULDN'T want. Everyone's welcome in my book lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let’s not ever say that...
Yeah, we're not that much better than they are, considering we have people like Electrichu in here. :ohwell:

But that's honestly it. There's not really anyone else I'd want. And to be completely honest, I don't really care what DLC characters get in. Whatever we get I'm sure I'm bound to enjoy it, both the fighter and character themself, as there's not really anyone I WOULDN'T want. Everyone's welcome in my book lol.
That's a good attitude to have. Similarly, there really isn't much I wouldn't want to see here. :)

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Actually, that's not entirely true! Here's some fun trivia for you:

Valentine's Day occurs at the same time in Japan as it does here. However, the celebration is more one-sided in that women traditionally give gifts on this day to men. The opposite happens an exact month after on White Day, in which men who have received gifts on Valentine's Day are expected to give their suitors gifts in return.
That’s actually genius because it’d allow people to find gifts that are close to equivalent to the ones they got and less likely there’s an awkward inequality in gifts.

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Holy crap, Peach! You think that's bad? Remember the time Smithy invaded?
44335469_164290011206762_9129310564428039200_n.jpg

(I tried finding the creator for credit, but my browser wouldn't go down far enough on the page...)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So guys, I'm feeling a bit more inspired today.

I opened my playlist on YouTube that has 401 songs in it, started it on shuffle, and for the first time in over ten years without searching for it on my own it started the playlist with Beware the Forest Mushrooms. Not a remix of it, which I have a couple, but the original OST on a video I added from 2007 back in the Brawl days.

Let us never give up on our blue puppet boi.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Doesn't like Geno vs. Likes Geno
Easy comparison.
But what’s the use in pointing that out? Why push an Us vs Them narrative when that just doesn’t work for Smash support?

Again, I know to some degree you’re trying to be funny, but that’s why I initially said let’s not use the way too often abused and completely unfunny “chads” and “virgins” cliche.

It’s not a good look for us. The anti-Geno troll force on other forums has been known for ages and saying stuff like that might as well be playing into their hands.

Geno, more so than any other character, needs positivity and support given that’s what his chances entirely rest upon as the “fan” choice. We don’t need to be pushing people in any way, or even give the appearance of such if we’re to successfully continue his support and maybe convince people along the way.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That’s actually genius because it’d allow people to find gifts that are close to equivalent to the ones they got and less likely there’s an awkward inequality in gifts.
I mean for heterosexual couples yeah, but gay and lesbian couples? Good luck!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, there are some reasonable people that go on 4Chan, if you know where to look. Assuming every single person that goes on there and GFaqs are like the seasonal groups of trolls and rude kids is...near-sighted at best, judgemental at worst.

Heck, there are some people on this board that lynch individuals who go against the character choices they expect. Not exactly the picture of us being the better man.

I'm a lesbian.

V-Day + White Day confusion in terms of who and when would be suffering.
As far as I know, not sure if it still applies, but I heard that being a fancier of fine femmes is seen as a phase in Japan.

Yeah, some aspects of their culture's a little backwards over there...:ohwell:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But what’s the use in pointing that out? Why push an Us vs Them narrative when that just doesn’t work for Smash support?

Again, I know to some degree you’re trying to be funny, but that’s why I initially said let’s not use the way too often abused and completely unfunny “chads” and “virgins” cliche.

It’s not a good look for us. The anti-Geno troll force on other forums has been known for ages and saying stuff like that might as well be playing into their hands.

Geno, more so than any other character, needs positivity and support given that’s what his chances entirely rest upon as the “fan” choice. We don’t need to be pushing people in any way, or even give the appearance of such if we’re to successfully continue his support and maybe convince people along the way.
I really didn't want to keep this going but. I really was just trying to be funny because the conversation was about the two other websites. I figured the meme was ironic at this point so I thought it would make it obvious I wasn't being serious.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really didn't want to keep this going but. I really was just trying to be funny because the conversation was about the two other websites. I figured the meme was ironic at this point so I thought it would make it obvious I wasn't being serious.
The most surefire way to let people know you're being silly is to use this::4pacman: Otherwise, it's hard to tell how serious people are via text.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Well, you just name a character that exactly has a significant role with in a single story, so thanx for that.

My point wasn't meant to despise Geno and hist situation. I play SMRPG and do recgonize how he and Mallow participates in their stories, but the main point is that Geno isn't the only character that pays efforts to compete a story, but other Mario characters from different stories did that as well, so did the characters of other Nintendo games. If you use recognition as the only reason why Geno can be promoted, that may be applied to many other Mario characters in the first place.

Like said in previous replies, Geno is named due to his great popularity, likeability and potential more than his recognition, so we're not really suppoed to discuss about the latter. The only pratical way for him to gain more recognition than other characters, is to participate in other stories outside SMRPG. That is essentially what Rosalina is doing after Galaxy.

I remember some of the core fans want a direct sequel of SMRPG, but like said, since each Mario RPG is likely an enclosed story, even if we got SMRPG2 right after SMRPG, it feels like there's a great chance Geno would be replaced by new party members like how Paper Mario TTYD. So the more reliable way to keep him in spotlights is a different type of game.

Luma is a species but seems like there's one pearl-colored recurring Luma along with Rosalina. With that said, that reminds me of Twink and the seven star spirits from first Paper game, and the spirits actually prove that RPG characters may appear outside their original game. So it's sad that we don't see that happen more nowadays.

Aside from other original characters, my main critique is that Nintendo could had make use of existed species and give them alternative skins to make the party members real inclusion. It feels like making a Lakilester skin as an alternative for a generic lakister isn't really that hard work.
We know Geno could be replaced as a main character, same with Mallow and even Bowser, but Geno can still reappear and play an important role in the story. Fawful is a villain that came back three times due to fan demand, and the same could happen with Geno's actual body or the Geno doll. But besides that, I mentioned earlier how Twink could've been the "Geno" of Paper Mario 64, aka "Super Mario RPG 2". Remember that SMRPG 2 was still in development when SquareSoft was still collaborating with Nintendo, but right when it was close to being completed, SquareSoft left Nintendo and basically had to pull back all the **** Square owned from the game, which could mean that Twink's original character MIGHT'VE been Geno or related to Geno, but we'll never know. I can see Geno being in Mario sports games and even Mario Party, but Mario RPG characters don't really make it to other spin-offs; not even Paper Mario, a main Mario RPG character, himself has made it in other spin-offs. I could see Geno being in Galaxy or Odyssey, but he'd probably appear as his normal self, not as a doll (appear as a star).

Also, Geno does represent something. Outside of Smash speculation, many know Geno because of Super Mario RPG. Geno represents the very first Mario RPG game, the one that started it all and was the predecessor of Paper Mario. We don't have a Mario RPG rep, and Geno absolutely fits this role.

It really just breaks my heart to know that Super Mario RPG 2 was so close to the finish line but had to be pulled back because of SquareSoft. :/

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm a lesbian.

V-Day + White Day confusion in terms of who and when would be suffering.
I know this is the Geno thread, but this intrigues me, being that when I thought about it non-traditional couples have only been slowly more accepted since roughly the 60's or so here in the US. Thus the only holiday strictly for homosexuals (for which I will thus forth dub 'holigays' because that sounds amazing to me) is the WHOLE MONTH OF JUNE. It still blows my mind that it's a whole month when most American holidays are either a day or a week aside from Christmas, but of course we have a whole month dedicated to another minority and it still isn't much for them so I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

Also, let us not dog TOO much on Japan and it's culture and customs: Sure, they are more likely to fall under being racist since they pretty much only tolerate foreigners and going from foreigner to a citizen there is way more difficult than it is in the West in terms of societal acceptance as well as how certain Japanese feel about their work and such going overseas, and yes they do weird stuff we don't understand, but they are also some of the most respectful people to exist and while honor may be thing of the past for the West it works rather well over there.

There is a lot we could learn from them, just as they can learn from us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey everyone. Tonight, I'm drawing Geno, but not just Geno. I'm drawing him in another Nintendo character's outfit, and I want you to guess who it is. If you guess right, I'll DM you a picture of a cup of noodles.

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone. Tonight, I'm drawing Geno, but not just Geno. I'm drawing him in another Nintendo character's outfit, and I want you to guess who it is. If you guess right, I'll DM you a picture of a cup of noodles.
My guess is Ness

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, let us not dog TOO much on Japan and it's culture and customs: Sure, they are more likely to fall under being racist since they pretty much only tolerate foreigners and going from foreigner to a citizen there is way more difficult than it is in the West in terms of societal acceptance as well as how certain Japanese feel about their work and such going overseas, and yes they do weird stuff we don't understand, but they are also some of the most respectful people to exist and while honor may be thing of the past for the West it works rather well over there.

There is a lot we could learn from them, just as they can learn from us.
Yeah they seem a little more innocently misguided than anything. And in a general sense, they are polite (plus incredibly clean people, too, an invaluable trait especially nowadays).

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Princess Peach's dress as a reference to pink Geno glitch?

m8 its a meme ****post. No need to drag someone over it like this. You can not like a joke but no need to police someone else's meme humor.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Princess Peach's dress as a reference to pink Geno glitch?
Or maybe referencing the fact that Geno wears Peach's dress and a wig in Super Mario Kun, wherein he's accidentally kidnapped instead of her. (It kills me to this day, and in fact, I did draw a thing inspired by that...)

gawjussss2.png

Spot the little design references in the image and I'll give you even more noodles than Maxie. More, I tell you!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Or maybe referencing the fact that Geno wears Peach's dress and a wig in Super Mario Kun, wherein he's accidentally kidnapped instead of her. (It kills me to this day, and in fact, I did draw a thing inspired by that...)

Spot the little design references in the image and I'll give you even more noodles than Maxie. More, I tell you!
Hmm...are they Nintendo specific design references?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom