• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
For me, after Geno, these would be my ideal picks:

1) Chibi Robo
2) Masked Man
3) Chun-Li
4) Quote

Honorable mention: Raiden (either as an Echo of Snake, or his MGR/MGS4 variant with a badass moveset)
Ah, Chibi Robo would have been fun!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It seems my joke fell a bit flat this time, so I'll do my best to give an actual list despite me not really wanting anyone other than Geno.

1. Goemon
2. Sora
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Issac

Other than Goemon (and kinda Sora, more so before KH3 and less so after) the rest are ones I think are cool but didn't really want but others do, like K. Rool and Ridley.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait, there are other characters to want in Smash other than Geno?

Oh yeah, Banjo, that's right...

Wait, there are more than just those two?! .......

It's kind of like that right now, to be honest, because those two are by far the biggest right now. Most others are either discomfirmed or Sakurai or someone else has said something that puts a lot of doubt on the others. I guess Bandana Waddle Dee counts too but I honestly haven't seen a lot of people talking about him as of late.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
This brings up an interesting question.

Excluding Geno, who would y'all's dream DLC be?

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Paper Mario (Classic Style)
4) Andy from Advance Wars
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Black Mage
3. Bomberman
4. Cooking Mama

Ovaltine

Smash Master
1) Banjo-Kazooie
2) Phoenix Wright
3) Shadow the Hedgehog (deconfirmed, assist trophy)
4) Knuckles the Echidna (deconfirmed, assist trophy)

Yeah, as you can see, not looking so good for my most wanteds (with Geno being in that top five, as well). Two are deconfirmed, one is highly unlikely, and one is even more unlikely. Only Phoenix seems like he might stand a chance... and even then, I'm not as attached to him as I am any other character on the list.

All-in-all, it's kinda no wonder why I'm not hyped for Smash's DLC this time around.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Paper Mario (Classic Style)
4) Andy from Advance Wars
1) The Knight from Hollow Knight
2) Ayumi
3) Steve/Banjo
4) Sora

Honorable mentions go to Master Chief, Qbby, Bandana Dee, Andy, Sylux, Isaac, and Neku.

And since you guys were discussing it before, I don't see a problem with Geno being under the Mario name.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
2) Ayumi
3) Steve/Banjo
4) Sora

Honorable mentions go to Master Chief, Qbby, Bandana Dee, Andy, Sylux, Isaac, and Neku.

And since you guys were discussing it before, I don't see a problem with Geno being under the Mario name.
Given my choice of avatar, I'm sure you can assume my thoughts on Ayumi. Great game, would be cool to be represented. I think she would make a good assist trophy rather than a character though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Given my choice of avatar, I'm sure you can assume my thoughts on Ayumi. Great game, would be cool to be represented. I think she would make a good assist trophy rather than a character though.
You know what? I think her as an assist and a Mii outfit would be a great idea. It'd be really cute, and I'd definitely use it!

Nicnac

Smash Ace

Geno is my dream pick, but I got a few more along the way.
1. Doomguy. I loved the 2016 DOOM, love the design of Doomguy/Doom Slayer, and has a legacy argument, with a deadly moveset potential.
2. Banjo-Kazooie. Adore the games.
3. Bandana Dee. Love Star Allies and HE'S SO CUTE AAAAAA
4. Shantae/Quote. My two indie loves.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dream DLC? Uh... Mine pretty much got nuked already:

1. Takamaru
2. Ashley
3. Waluigi
4. Shantae (Way Forward seems to have very heavily implied she's not in)

Aside from that, uh...

1. Banjo

Uh...

2. Captain Syrup

Uh...

3. Muddy Mole

UHHHHHH....

4. Vaati?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, I was beaten to the punch. But yeah, Sakurai wants Geno in. Can't get more factual than that. Of course, he's not a Nintendo-owned character, so the fact remains he's not as likely as we hope because of licensing issues. I still honestly think he has a fair chance for DLC. Even if not playable, a Mii Costume coming back seems likely regardless. SE wants to make money off of the character. So why not?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, its neat to see these character choices now that so many long standing wants have been fulfilled with Ultimate. It really does open the door for new speculation powerhouses.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I can't even lie, Dad of Boy would be pretty cool to see. I love how the two GOTYs both reoriented their respective series, and Kratos is someone I think could prove interesting among the others with his Leviathan Axe. And just imagine how hype that reveal would be with GoW music in the background:

Also guys; Nintendo actually isn't the laughingstock of my school after the Wii U! People are buying Switches just for Smash or Odyssey or BotW, and they're finally getting a sense of the Nintendo magic again.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I just go straight here, Every one-off character has the spotlight within their own story, and outside the story, they don't. As you already tell, Peach, Bowser and Mario are the important ones in every single story, which is why they're already the ones to represent SMRPG in the first place over Geno.
You're tripping, Goombella. We know Mario, Bowser, and Peach are main protagonists and the guest stars, but Geno and Mallow are also the main protagonists in the story. Do you not realize that if it wasn't for Geno, Mario and Mallow wouldn't even have a clue what's going on in the story? The only beings who knew of the Smithy Gang were the "Higher Authority" and Geno himself; the main characters didn't even know their world was at crisis until Geno showed up and explained everything. Geno was literally the treasure of the whole team, the one that actually seemed most important because he was the only one who knew about the seven stars and what they did, so this is a game mostly focused on Mario and Geno's story.
Collecting the seven stars was originally even Geno's intention, not Mario's until Geno met Mario and Mallow and explained everything. Even at the final cutscene of the game, it's all focused on Geno.

If Geno was at the front of the cover instead of Bowser, you'd say the same thing about Bowser not being a "representation" of the game. From my perspective, all five of the main protagonists are what represented the heart, soul, and mind of that game; most even know Super Mario RPG because of Geno and Mallow's amazing character development from the game.

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention. On the Super Mario RPG Japanese box art, Geno AND Mallow were on there. It's clear that they did mean a lot to the story and did serve as important roles in the game, otherwise they wouldn't have been on the box art. And Mario, Bowser, and Peach don't represent the game over Geno, ALL FIVE of them represent the game equally.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, its neat to see these character choices now that so many long standing wants have been fulfilled with Ultimate. It really does open the door for new speculation powerhouses.
I know, right? This'll get even more prominent once this Fighter Pass business is done with.

I can't even lie, Dad of Boy would be pretty cool to see. I love how the two GOTYs both reoriented their respective series, and Kratos is someone I think could prove interesting among the others with his Leviathan Axe. And just imagine how hype that reveal would be with GoW music in the background:

Also guys; Nintendo actually isn't the laughingstock of my school after the Wii U! People are buying Switches just for Smash or Odyssey or BotW, and they're finally getting a sense of the Nintendo magic again.
I gotta admit though, I wonder how the KI crew would react to him showing up and learning exactly what he accomplished.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
After Geno gets in:

1) Rayman
2) Team Fortress 2 (Heavy would be the most likely)
3) Wonder-Red
4) Pokemon Trainer 2 (Anything with Bayleef/Meganium as echo/hybrid of Ivysaur)
5) Hat Kid

Two 3rd Parties, One Nintendo, One Indie
Three have appeared on Nintendo (Will be Four soon) and Two on PC

Last edited:

dalolman

Smash Cadet
Aside from Geno, I'd love:

1: Doom Marine
2: Marx (boss unfortunately)
3: Shovel Knight (assist trophy :( )
4: Rayman
5: Koopa/Hammer Bro (I honestly think there could have been much better mob choices than Piranha Plant even tho he does work)
6: Maxwell, with his Doppelganger as an alt.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
My revised list for DLC after Geno:

2) Porky
3) Steve/Banjo
4) Mona

(Sora barely missed the cut this time around).

Joker was actually my second most wanted, so since he's already in, I really don't have a massive issue with DLC.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Geno got in, I'd love to have:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Black Mage
3. Mallow
4. Alucard
5. Isaac

Off Topic - If fourth-party characters were allowed, I'd want:

1. Popeye
2. Izuku Midoriya
3. Luffy
4. Vegeta
5. Mr. Incredible

It's funny because none of these fourth-parties are going to happen. Well, I guess that's what Jump Force is for.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

1. Popeye
2. Izuku Midoriya
3. Luffy
4. Vegeta
5. Mr. Incredible

It's funny because none of these fourth-parties are going to happen. Well, I guess that's what Jump Force is for.
Hell yeah, man, I can't wait for the day Popeye makes it into Jump Force.
Now there's a photoshop someone with more technical know-how than I should do.

dalolman

Smash Cadet
If Geno got in, I'd love to have:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Black Mage
3. Mallow
4. Alucard
5. Isaac

1. Popeye
2. Izuku Midoriya
3. Luffy
4. Vegeta
5. Mr. Incredible

Epic Smash Flash crossover with Mr. Incredible as a playable character.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
The only fourth party character I have absolutely no problems with is James Bond. Goldeneye helped define the N64, and is unquestionably a classic.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to mention Crono. He'd be great, especially if all of his B moves involved doing team attacks (his party members would phase in and would disappear at the end of the move)

It's such an important part of Chrono Trigger it'd have to be in his moveset.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
unpopular opinion i'd really want goku if 4th parties were allowed...
The best fourth party character would be Luffy honestly. You could so much more with him and he’d represent Shonen so well. Plus we’d get the best ARMS rep that ever could exist, so there’s that.

****, One Piece has so many creative characters and opportunities that I’d love to see it cross over to a fighting game like Smash (If we end up going to whole Nintendo VS. route).

I know fourth parties aren’t allowed, but I’d unironically love some of them to join. I’ve given up trying to see Smash as strictly one thing or another. If it sounds cool, I say why the hell not.

Though I’d hope we get the bone of Geno given the fact I’m all for relaxing any restrictions to Smash haha.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
The best fourth party character would be Luffy honestly. You could so much more with him and he’d represent Shonen so well. Plus we’d get the best ARMS rep that ever could exist, so there’s that.

****, One Piece has so many creative characters and opportunities that I’d love to see it cross over to a fighting game like Smash (If we end up going to whole Nintendo VS. route).

I know fourth parties aren’t allowed, but I’d unironically love some of them to join. I’ve given up trying to see Smash as strictly one thing or another. If it sounds cool, I say why the hell not.

Though I’d hope we get the bone of Geno given the fact I’m all for relaxing any restrictions to Smash haha.
Bring me Konata Izumi, shonen can wait

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Hard disagree on relaxing the 4th party barrier over here. That's practically a surefire way to bury any and all interesting, more obscure picks like Joker was (and like Geno here is). Every neanderthal will start rallying behind Batman or Sailor Moon or whatever. Surprise is gone when literally anyone can get in. Barriers are good.

It's not even like being limited to video games is restrictive at all. Even with how big SSBU is, it still doesn't even have major genres like fps and puzzle games covered (Mario playing dress up and spinning around ad nauseam does not count). The river hasn't exactly dried up.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
You're tripping, Goombella.

We know Mario, Bowser, and Peach are main protagonists and the guest stars, but Geno and Mallow are also the main protagonists in the story. Do you not realize that if it wasn't for Geno, Mario and Mallow wouldn't even have a clue what's going on in the story? The only beings who knew of the Smithy Gang were the "Higher Authority" and Geno himself; the main characters didn't even know their world was at crisis until Geno showed up and explained everything. Geno was literally the treasure of the whole team, the one that actually seemed most important because he was the only one who knew about the seven stars and what they did, so this is a game mostly focused on Mario and Geno's story.
Collecting the seven stars was originally even Geno's intention, not Mario's until Geno met Mario and Mallow and explained everything. Even at the final cutscene of the game, it's all focused on Geno.

If Geno was at the front of the cover instead of Bowser, you'd say the same thing about Bowser not being a "representation" of the game. From my perspective, all five of the main protagonists are what represented the heart, soul, and mind of that game; most even know Super Mario RPG because of Geno and Mallow's amazing character development from the game.
Well, you just name a character that exactly has a significant role with in a single story, so thanx for that.

My point wasn't meant to despise Geno and hist situation. I play SMRPG and do recgonize how he and Mallow participates in their stories, but the main point is that Geno isn't the only character that pays efforts to compete a story, but other Mario characters from different stories did that as well, so did the characters of other Nintendo games. If you use recognition as the only reason why Geno can be promoted, that may be applied to many other Mario characters in the first place.

Like said in previous replies, Geno is named due to his great popularity, likeability and potential more than his recognition, so we're not really suppoed to discuss about the latter. The only pratical way for him to gain more recognition than other characters, is to participate in other stories outside SMRPG. That is essentially what Rosalina is doing after Galaxy.

Tell me about it! Nintendo is so oddly restrictive when it comes to giving the RPG characters more limelight. I'd love both Geno and Mallow to be in, like, spin-offs and such. I remember back in the day, the amount of people who wanted Geno and Mallow in Mario Kart 64 was tremendous. Their popularity stood the test of time even back in the late 90s! It really shows how beloved these characters are, despite how their time has apparently long since past.

In terms of the other Mario RPG characters, too, I'd love to see more Fawful, Dimentio, Vivian, Bobbery, Goombella... and so on and so forth. Oversaturation wouldn't be a good idea either, but I'd take actual characters over playing a generic Koopa Troopa in Mario Kart. Why play a random Luma in Mario Tennis Aces when you could play as Geno? Why play a random Lakitu in Mario Kart when you could be playing as Mallow? That sort of thing.
I remember some of the core fans want a direct sequel of SMRPG, but like said, since each Mario RPG is likely an enclosed story, even if we got SMRPG2 right after SMRPG, it feels like there's a great chance Geno would be replaced by new party members like how Paper Mario TTYD. So the more reliable way to keep him in spotlights is a different type of game.

Luma is a species but seems like there's one pearl-colored recurring Luma along with Rosalina. With that said, that reminds me of Twink and the seven star spirits from first Paper game, and the spirits actually prove that RPG characters may appear outside their original game. So it's sad that we don't see that happen more nowadays.

Aside from other original characters, my main critique is that Nintendo could had make use of existed species and give them alternative skins to make the party members real inclusion. It feels like making a Lakilester skin as an alternative for a generic lakister isn't really that hard work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, you just name a character that exactly has a significant role with in a single story, so thanx for that.

My point wasn't meant to despise Geno and hist situation. I play SMRPG and do recgonize how he and Mallow participates in their stories, but the main point is that Geno isn't the only character that pays efforts to compete a story, but other Mario characters from different stories did that as well, so did the characters of other Nintendo games. If you use recognition as the only reason why Geno can be promoted, that may be applied to many other Mario characters in the first place.

Like said in previous replies, Geno is named due to his great popularity, likeability and potential more than his recognition, so we're not really suppoed to discuss about the latter. The only pratical way for him to gain more recognition than other characters, is to participate in other stories outside SMRPG. That is essentially what Rosalina is doing after Galaxy.
Your original argument was referring to the characters in the same story each having a big role. It was explained that Geno has the biggest role in SMRPG

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Others besides Geno that would be pretty awesome (in no particular order):

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Doomguy
-Bill Rizer
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Tails

Lycanroc was another I wanted but it's unlikely to happen now since Incineroar made the cut.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I decided to look at some gameplay footage for the DQ games to see how the characters were handled as far as the main game is concerned and not official artwork. All of the games prior to 8 were only depicted "chibified" sprites for the overworld only. 9 pretty much being the main exception afterwards is primarily due to the hardware limitations of the DS. So, it pretty much confirms one thing in my mind, it really doesn't make sense for Erdrick to be chibified since Akira Toriyama has given official artwork of the character is supposed to look proper. And since the PS4 version is basically the proper version of XI, the 3DS version doesn't count.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Your original argument was referring to the characters in the same story each having a big role. It was explained that Geno has the biggest role in SMRPG
I think I didn't specifically only in SMRPG one game, tho. As Geno's being one-off is his own biggest obstacle, whther his role is bigger or smaller than Mario in SMRPG story wouldn't be the main focus.

Ironically, yes, there were other Mario titles where Mario isn't the actual protagonist.

Hard disagree on relaxing the 4th party barrier over here. That's practically a surefire way to bury any and all interesting, more obscure picks like Joker was (and like Geno here is). Every neanderthal will start rallying behind Batman or Sailor Moon or whatever. Surprise is gone when literally anyone can get in. Barriers are good.
This. I just say Goku not being in isn't something surprising or worthes our anger if Nintendo just choose their own characters or 3rd party heroes that they frequently work with.

Still, realistically speaking, it's not Nintendo but the copyright owners, in that case, the manga publisher Shueisha and the artist Toriyama also make the decisions. To my concern, despite we do see some Shueisha games in Nintendo consoles, the existed Jump crossover fighting games (which is the counterpart to Smash bros in Nintendo) does not make Nintendo copies but only in PS and Windows paltforms, so that we cannot have Mario being a guest in their games. So Nintendo's relationship with Shueisha is still very obscure.
Speaking of Shueisha, Chitoge makes a skin in Super Mario Maker, but I don't think she's popular in Smash fandom, anyway.

As for breaking walls, Sonic&AllStarsRacing is a special case of bringing in Ralph, Yogscast and Danica who totally breaks every wall (heck even Banjo is racing character in Xbox version, to old Diddy fans' dismay who still want him to return to Mario Kart). I kidna think there are some interesting surprises, the only defect is sitll that Sonic characters are pretty much ignored, despite the title ironicallly hints on Sonic franchise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom