• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, Erdrick is getting in. Maybe Geno for Fighter Pass 2. If that becomes a thing.
Slow down, there.

You remember how people acted like Shadow was a lock for the base roster? Don't jump the gun here. Sure, it's fine to think that Erdrick is likely, but acting like he is confirmed before he is revealed is not a smart move.

Same thing goes for acting like Geno is out before it's confirmed that he is out (if he is). Ridley, K Rool, and Joker. Three characters people did not at all think would happen and jinxed it by saying that they would never happen.
For years me and a lot of people thought Dixie Kong would get in before King K. Rool and boy were we wrong. A couple of the reasons we thought this is because she is one of the Forbidden 7 in Brawl so she was originally intended to have been in Brawl. Also, we thought she would be a whole lot easier to program and make than King K. Rool.

Imagine going from a high like Joker to Dragon Quest. Even if I wasn't rooting for Geno I would think 'why?' I'm almost positive a majority of the people in the West would just ask why it wasn't Sora.
Well, we got :ultridley:, :ultkrool: who is another character Japan really wanted, and :ultdarksamus: who were all mainly American wanted characters. Japan really loves Dragon Quest and it's super popular and iconic over there, so it would make since if Sakurai were to throw a bone for the Japanese fans.

D

Deleted member

What does that mean?
I wouldn't put much thought into what Sakurai is saying here. Nintendo is choosing the DLCs and what he says seems to specifically apply to the joke-retro characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Incorrect: Sakurai never said he wanted him in, that is misinformation.

Sakurai liked the idea of someone who had a gun for a hand and the moveset potential behind it. Not only do we have both Samus and D. Samus, but we now have Megaman and Mii Gunner in addition to this. It's entirely possible Sakurai got the moveset he wanted out of the idea and is no longer passionate to bring it to life, meaning he no longer has interest in Geno. It would also make more sense to why Geno keeps getting the shaft when others are allowed through the Smashingly Pearly Gates: we got a Mii Costume for Mii Gunner because Sakurai had already made the moveset and this not only gave us Geno fans some acknowledgement but also technically fit his original claim in a way, and making Geno a Spirit not only fits with his lore but once again shows that we are being acknowledged, even if we are unhappy about how they are going about it.

Now here we are back at DLC time for the biggest Smash game that ever was and likely ever will be, and with all the other big choices at NoJ's and Sakurai's fingertips, what makes us truly think Geno still has a chance? I know this sounds negative, but people like to bring up that Sakurai loves this or that and now it's in Smash, but Sakurai never said he loved Geno and I don't recall him saying much about SMRPG in general.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.

He says right here that he wanted him to be a playable character. Plus, that's not the only reason he tried to make him playable. It's for his fans as well.

What does that mean?
It means that there aren't any "rules" to how a character is chosen for Smash bros

D

Deleted member

How many Mario characters—aside from Mallow—underwent something that permanently changed them?
This doesn't really serve to mitigate your point. In fact, you bring up a good point. One-dimensional personalities is a staple in Mario stories. Geno would fit right in, whether Geno actually made for compelling writing or not. (He did not and Mallow was the better character of the two).
Running down memory lane, let me think about who actually received character development in Mario games
  • Koops
  • Vivian and her sisters
  • X-nauts
  • Fawful (in a side character becomes main antagonist sort of way, and then dies)
  • That bomb partner from Thousand Year Door
  • Count Bleck
  • Actually, every main villain except Dimentio in Super Paper Mario
  • Rosalina's story already happened, but her little library anecdotes were pretty investing and developed.
  • The little angel companion person in Super Paper Mario Chapter 7?
  • ...The player? I don't know.
Mario series isn't known for its stories, but when it is focused on, they can make compelling or at least entertaining narratives. Interestingly, most of these characters were all listed under Mario RPGs--go figure.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It means that there aren't any "rules" to how a character is chosen for Smash bros
I would not say it's the rules. More specifically why fans still try to speculate the roster in a logical way is wanting to see a balanced and convincing roster. Some characters are popular, some others are debatable. It is not good to see a bad case of a good character is chosen but other factors make him/her annoying. A convincing choice for every Smash fan is like "my wanted character is not chosen but I think Nintendo is doing the right thing".

Especially when in Geno being a very controversial case in his own franchise. Still like said, we rather wish that Mario games had no "rules" so Geno could had been in a couple of games by now.

This doesn't really serve to mitigate your point. In fact, you bring up a good point. One-dimensional personalities is a staple in Mario stories. Geno would fit right in, whether Geno actually made for compelling writing or not. (He did not and Mallow was the better character of the two).
Running down memory lane, let me think about who actually received character development in Mario games

Mario series isn't known for its stories, but when it is focused on, they can make compelling or at least entertaining narratives. Interestingly, most of these characters were all listed under Mario RPGs--go figure.
Thanks for that list and that tells why I love this series.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Especially when in Geno being a very controversial case in his own franchise. Still like said, we rather wish that Mario games had no "rules" so Geno could had been in a couple of games by now.
Tell me about it! Nintendo is so oddly restrictive when it comes to giving the RPG characters more limelight. I'd love both Geno and Mallow to be in, like, spin-offs and such. I remember back in the day, the amount of people who wanted Geno and Mallow in Mario Kart 64 was tremendous. Their popularity stood the test of time even back in the late 90s! It really shows how beloved these characters are, despite how their time has apparently long since past.

In terms of the other Mario RPG characters, too, I'd love to see more Fawful, Dimentio, Vivian, Bobbery, Goombella... and so on and so forth. Oversaturation wouldn't be a good idea either, but I'd take actual characters over playing a generic Koopa Troopa in Mario Kart. Why play a random Luma in Mario Tennis Aces when you could play as Geno? Why play a random Lakitu in Mario Kart when you could be playing as Mallow? That sort of thing.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.

He says right here that he wanted him to be a playable character. Plus, that's not the only reason he tried to make him playable. It's for his fans as well.

It's this interview that makes me keep my hope alive. I think if Sakurai chose the DLC, and not Nintendo executives, I feel like Geno would be certain. He has wanted Geno to be playable for almost a decade, just like us.

Especially now that he spent some of Ultimate's slots on getting characters people have always wanted - Ridley, K Rool, and Simon Belmont are all fan-pleasing choices. Something tells me that if Sakurai continued picking characters, it'd definitely be Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's this interview that makes me keep my hope alive. I think if Sakurai chose the DLC, and not Nintendo executives, I feel like Geno would be certain. He has wanted Geno to be playable for almost a decade, just like us.

Especially now that he spent some of Ultimate's slots on getting characters people have always wanted - Ridley, K Rool, and Simon Belmont are all fan-pleasing choices. Something tells me that if Sakurai continued picking characters, it'd definitely be Geno.
If Square allowed it, too, would also be another thing. If Nintendo hadn't picked and Square was open for it, we definitely would have gotten him.

Makes it almost feel like NoJ robbed us in a way... and if they didn't, Square would have. Egh.

D

Deleted member

About that, there's this article:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

Reggie has some interesting words on the DLC:

"It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.

Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."

I feel like Sakurai had a lot more power in the DLC than we originally thought

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About that, there's this article:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

Reggie has some interesting words on the DLC:

"It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.

Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking."

I feel like Sakurai had a lot more power in the DLC than we originally thought
I mean, pretty much. Nintendo's basically been just handing out suggestions to Sakurai, then he sees if they can work.

Also, you're late on that sport, it's been known about for nearly two months. :079:

Apart from that, has there been any signs of a Direct coming at all? It feels like this month is a drought on the Nintendo front so far, including exclusive games from them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People were saying today or tomorrow for a Direct announcement with some saying next week. General consensus is "soon" with Polar's source leaning more towards next week than this week but unsure because so many people are weighing in on it.

D

Deleted member

I mean, pretty much. Nintendo's basically been just handing out suggestions to Sakurai, then he sees if they can work.

Also, you're late on that sport, it's been known about for nearly two months. :079:
I..know that it was on December 7th, lol.

And, Idk, I think he even had more power than just saying yes or no to a fighter Nintendo suggested to him

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It was actually me that choose the DLC. No need to thank me. Hope you all enjoy Geno, Banjo, Phoenix Wright, and Heavy from TF2.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It was actually me that choose the DLC. No need to thank me. Hope you all enjoy Geno, Banjo, Phoenix Wright, and Heavy from TF2.
Okay, full disclosure, I would actually nut if this (plus Plant and Joker) turned out to be our final DLC lineup. TF2 in Smash? Pinch me, I must be dreaming...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I..know that it was on December 7th, lol.

And, Idk, I think he even had more power than just saying yes or no to a fighter Nintendo suggested to him
Yes, but it feels like this has been brought up before, and is an odd time to do so again.

In any case, Sakurai is probably modest about all of this and may not have fully admitted that he guided Nintendo supervisors more about character research than they guided him.

People were saying today or tomorrow for a Direct announcement with some saying next week. General consensus is "soon" with Polar's source leaning more towards next week than this week but unsure because so many people are weighing in on it.
Seems fair then. The time of Valentine's Day period seems like it would be the right timing for this.

And I still think it won't be on next monday anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This brings up an interesting question.

Excluding Geno, who would y'all's dream DLC be?

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Paper Mario (Classic Style)
4) Andy from Advance Wars

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
1) Banjo-Kazooie
2) Steve/Creeper
3) Skull Kid
4) Ninten/Porky/Gengar/Sans & Papyrus

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
1) Arle Nadja (PuyoPuyo)
2) Doomguy
3) Travis Touchdown
4) Firebrand (Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
Ooh, my turn.

1) Bonk
2) Klonoa
3) Bocke (from Wonder Boy/Monster World) or Jin (Monster Boy)
4) Banjo-Kazooie

Problem is there's way too many characters for me to just pick 4 from.

Last edited:

Ingenious!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2810-4113-1684
Switch FC
SW 8436 9508 1692

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
I got some time to kill so gonna answer this :)
1)CandyMan from Lethal League
2)NIGHTS from nights into dreams
3)Klonoa from klonoa/ Skull Kid
4)banjo kazooie/ Crash bandicoot

D

Deleted member

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
1) Ninten
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Crono
4) Isaac/Elma/Shantae

Rikarte

Smash Ace

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
1) Monster Hunter
2) Reimu
3) Elma
4) Slime

Never thought I'd see the day where Slime would be in my top 5 most wanted but here we are

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
1) Banjo & Kazooie
2) Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
3) Dixie Kong
4) Krystal

A very Rareware biased line-up haha

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
I actually don't care much about who gets in for the most part, but if I had to choose, this is probably what I'd come up with:

1.) Banjo (for the fans)
2.) Gooey (from Kirby)
3.) Zeke (from Xenoblade 2)
4.) Someone from TF2 (probably Scout or Heavy, but anyone would be amazing)

Yeah, most of those are literally never gonna happen, but I'd probably jump out of my seat if they appeared even as Assist Trophies.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
There are many characters and combinations that would qualify as dreamlike for me. (For example, your roster, such fine taste!)

If I had to pick, I’d go Isaac, Geno, Banjo and Waluigi, to satisfy the most people.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
If I chose, it would be:
1)Phoenix Wright
2) Paper Mario
3) Isaac
4) Banjo-Kazooie

To be honest, those last 2 are because of fan demand. All the other characters I personally want wouldn't appease that many people (namely Ray MK and another F-Zero character).

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
For me, in order, it’d have to be
1) Banjo and Kazooie
2) Porky
3) Fawful
4) Rash from Battletoads / A TF2 character
Bonus dream echo fighter: Louie, or really any of the other pikmin captains.

EDIT: Though I didn’t put him on my list since he’d be my number 6 or 7, I also like Doshin the Giant, but he feels more like a base roster kind of character.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

For me, I'm thinking:
1) Bomberman
2) Banjo-Kazooie
  1. Shantae
  2. Doomguy
  3. Ashley
  4. A Danganronpa character

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Wait, there are other characters to want in Smash other than Geno?

Oh yeah, Banjo, that's right...

Wait, there are more than just those two?! .......

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
  1. Banjo-Kazooie
  2. Rayman
  3. Ryu (from Ninja Gaiden)
  4. Bandana Dee
The fourth pick is really open for anyone. I thought a Nintendo character would be appropriate...

Last edited:

Piks

Smash Journeyman
For me, after Geno, these would be my ideal picks:

1) Chibi Robo
2) Masked Man
3) Chun-Li
4) Quote

Honorable mention: Raiden (either as an Echo of Snake, or his MGR/MGS4 variant with a badass moveset)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I chose, it would be:
1)Phoenix Wright
2) Paper Mario
3) Isaac
4) Banjo-Kazooie

To be honest, those last 2 are because of fan demand. All the other characters I personally want wouldn't appease that many people (namely Ray MK and another F-Zero character).
This guy gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom