• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I should clarify that I actually really like Geno. I just think he's best off staying in Super Mario RPG where his appearance was the most special, and the fact that he's unimportant to the franchise as a whole, a spinoff character, and a one-shot ALL AT THE SAME TIME should wall him out of Smash.

And I don't want Waluigi in Smash beyond being an Assist; he's also just a pure spinoff character.
And what of pure spinoff characters? Are they suddenly exempt from recognition?

Waluigi at least is more defining of Mario spinoffs than Daisy. I mean, he was literally created for Mario Tennis. I'd argue he was way more worthy than Daisy.

Dr. Mario was also from a franchise that really had no purpose in the game. It's way more niche and doesn't even have that many fans clamoring for him to be in Smash.

The thing with Geno is that he's not representing the franchise as a whole, but rather a segment of the franchise; the RPG games. You could argue Fawful would do this better but why bother if Geno's game was the reason Fawful existed in the first place. The original RPG was definitely the most bizarre, and since the story practically revolved around Geno, AND he's a fan favorite, it seems like he'd fit right in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I totally forgot a key factor that throws this all out; Sakurai has wanted Geno playable since Brawl. He is not why Geno isn't in. Definitely not the case here. He said that during Smash 4 while explaining his Mii costume. Then he said fan demand got him in, though he didn't note whether it was the ballot or fan polls before Brawl came out. So it could be either. I think Geno was popular among the Melee polls too?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I totally forgot a key factor that throws this all out; Sakuria has wanted Geno playable since Brawl. He is not why Geno isn't in. Definitely not the case here. He said that during Smash 4 while explaining his Mii costume. Then he said fan demand got him in, though he didn't note whether it was the ballot or fan polls before Brawl came out. So it could be either. I think Geno was popular among the Melee polls too?
I'm pretty sure he was popular in the Melee polls, too.

I also think the reason that he hasn't been added to Smash yet is just Square Enix.

However, the way people look at Square Enix not using the character much is that the same people who developed the game are the same people who don't use the character much. But, since Squaresoft merged with Enix, what if Enix is the reason that the company doesn't use Geno much? It would make sense considering that Enix did not take part in the creation of SMRPG.

It was an interesting idea brought up by Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we are still on the subject of what Geno's icon is if it isn't the Mario Mushroom, then the only logical choice would be the starman from Mario

I'm pretty sure he was popular in the Melee polls too
It is hard to say. Melee polls are hard to come across or very little of them exist. I would assume really just Ridley and Banjo were the heavy hitters with Banjo's hype slowly dying off with MS buying out Rare.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we are still on the subject of what Geno's icon is if it isn't the Mario Mushroom, then the only logical choice would be the starman from Mario
I think that, if he doesn't get the Mario mushroom as his icon, he would get the "RPG" acronym, specifically from the title of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think that, if he doesn't get the Mario mushroom as his icon, he would get the "RPG" acronym, specifically from the title of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
It's a strangely specific one to put in. I can understand where you are coming from with the Final Fantasy letters but Starman just seems a great idea for alternative Mario icon.

Considering his spirit uses the Mario emblem, he would probably use the Mushroom if he was ever playable.

D

Deleted member

It is hard to say. Melee polls are hard to come across or very little of them exist. I would assume really just Ridley and Banjo were the heavy hitters with Banjo's hype slowly dying off with MS buying out Rare.
I'm pretty sure Ridley, K Rool, and Geno were the 3 most requested characters during that time, though

It's a strangely specific one to put in. I can understand where you are coming from with the Final Fantasy letters but Starman just seems a great idea for alternative Mario icon.

Considering his spirit uses the Mario emblem, he would probably use the Mushroom if he was ever playable.
True. Using that Starman is just a different way to represent Mario through an icon, though. It doesn't represent the Square Enix side, the side that Geno comes from.

But I agree, that Geno would most likely just use the Mushroom as his icon if he is playable

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Personally, I've soured on Geno. He's not a main character of his franchise as a whole, he's a spinoff character, and a one-shot all rolled into one.

Is there a way to change my view?
It looks like there's no way to change your view, which is fine. Geno's not the main character of his franchise, correct, but he is a main character of the game he starred in. I'm most certain he wouldn't have been a one-timer if Square didn't own him, otherwise Nintendo would've put Geno and Mallow in their future RPG, spin-offs, and sports games. I heard a rumor about Intelligent Systems or Nintendo wanting to add a picture/portrait of Geno in Paper Mario 64, but it couldn't happen because of copyright issues with SquareSoft. It almost seemed like Geno was going to reappear in Paper Mario 64/"Super Mario RPG 2" because of Twink. Twink is like the "Geno" of Paper Mario 64, a small star sent from Star Haven to help Mario along his journey to save all the Star Spirits and defeat Bowser. Something tells me if Geno was owned by Nintendo, I feel like Geno originally would've been Twink in PM64.

It's clear that Nintendo wants to make Geno or Super Mario RPG relevant again with all this talk since 2015, but what's holding them back is Square.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A number of people are being coy with a few outright saying something will be announced tomorrow or Wednesday. Makes sense as a Nintendo of Europe ambassador seemingly oopsied doodled something big earlier today.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A number of people are being coy with a few outright saying something will be announced tomorrow or Wednesday. Makes sense as a Nintendo of Europe ambassador seemingly oopsied doodled something big earlier today.
What did he reveal? All I recall was the whole Xbox Live thing, so was that it?

By the way, isn't this whole Nintendo and Xbox relationship thing that has been going on crazy or what?

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If you don't mind me asking, Fatmanonice, what was it that they doodled?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Mario canon argument again
Bloody hell, the only thing that matters is "has a character gotten a big role in a platformer or RPG, yes? Then they're important dammit".

Supposedly a German Nintendo ambassador accidentally let it slip that Animal Crossing Switch news was on the horizon on I believe Twitter but I think it was taken down super quick.
Finally, maybe this breadcrumb may actually lead to an actual Direct soon enough.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Huh. Has Nintendo ever done an unannounced Direct before? Could they announce one tomorrow to have on Wednesday. With all the stuff floating around about unannounced games it seemed like something was coming sooner than later.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oooh
Supposedly a German Nintendo ambassador accidentally let it slip that Animal Crossing Switch news was on the horizon on I believe Twitter but I think it was taken down super quick.
Oooooooh
What if the direct is on Valentine's day
Is it sad that I don’t know when that is? Is the 14th this week already?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Strange we seem to be thinking there might be a Nintendo direct announcement as soon as tomorrow. And the Game Pass twitter is posting vague tweets again. Pointing towards something tomorrow as well

ZelDan

Smash Master
For me, the reason I think geno would be a nice Smash character would be to represent the RPG side of the mario Franchise, which is a pretty big and beloved part of it. No characters we have so far represent specifically or solely it; the most we have is Peach's frying pan attack. Super Mario RPG was the first Mario RPG, so it makes sense for it to be the game to represent Mario RPGs, and who was the most important original character in that game? Geno.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Strange we seem to be thinking there might be a Nintendo direct announcement as soon as tomorrow. And the Game Pass twitter is posting vague tweets again. Pointing towards something tomorrow as well
Xbox Live getting leaked for Switch on Accident and now Game Pass testing something big right before a rumored Direct? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edit: I can 100% see Xbox Game Pass coming to Switch not gonna lie.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Xbox Live getting leaked for Switch on Accident and now Game Pass testing something big right before a rumored Direct? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edit: I can 100% see Xbox Game Pass coming to Switch not gonna lie.
With Banjo and Kazooie being the friendly ambassadors to the new system...ayyyy..ayyyyy???

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I really hope so. Because the alternative is... Yeah.
If you're referencing Steve here, I actually wouldn't mind his inclusion.

I feel like people judge Minecraft based on its community rather than the game itself. That game was HUGE until one day it was decided that it is no longer cool to play it. And Steve himself just has an extreme amount of moveset potential, it would undoubtedly be something super creative. I will say, however, that Banjo for sure deserves to be the first Microsoft rep. And I would rather have Master Chief before Steve too, I have a soft spot for the old Halo days.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

I feel like people judge Minecraft based on its community rather than the game itself. That game was HUGE until one day it was decided that it is no longer cool to play it. And Steve himself just has an extreme amount of moveset potential, it would undoubtedly be something super creative. I will say, however, that Banjo for sure deserves to be the first Microsoft rep. And I would rather have Master Chief before Steve too, I have a soft spot for the old Halo days.
It's more that IF (big if) they decide to bring over Xbox game pass with a couple of games. Banjo would be the more likely candidate as they don't really have much kid friendly games on game pass outside of Banjo-Kazooie. Minecraft isn't on there yet so it would be kinda weird to use Steve as the face of a product that doesn't include him. Unless this is just one big setup to announce Minecraft coming to the game pass and with it a smash fighter. But really I feel like the ambassador to Nintendo should be a character that started on Nintendo.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Just because Microsoft and Nintendo are making big moves doesn't equate to Microsoft content HAVING to be in Smash Bros.

And even if it was, I doubt Brave is going to be their character and I'm fairly sure that's whose being revealed next anyways.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Yeah I mean Steve. I am just not interested in the character and would not spend money on him if he were the MS rep.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Minecraft is still huge to this day, actually. Never really left that factor.

Regardless, there's multiple cool MS reps. I'm a Fulgore fan myself.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
So, a few posts back I saw some people talking about how Geno doesn't really have an arc in Super Mario RPG, as opposed to a character like Mallow. Before going any further, I'd like to mention that Mallow is really the only Mario character I know that actually experiences a positive character arc. How many Mario characters—aside from Mallow—underwent something that permanently changed them? Wario remains greedy, Peach remains the victim of endless kidnappings, Luigi remains fearful, Bowser remains evil, and Mario remains optimistic. (Though Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey has some development for Bowser Jr. if you're willing to accept Bowser jr. as the only other character than Mallow to have undergone an actual change) There's a video on this topic that I'd like people to view real quick: (side note, it is a Dragon Ball video, but you'll see what I mean when you watch it)

In case you didn't watch the video, it explains how Goku—the main character of Dragon Ball—is a character that experiences what is called the Flat Character Arc. There are various characters in the Dragon Ball series that undergo arcs that change them in positive ways. Yet Goku remains the same. He experiences the Flat Character Arc, which is essentially a perpetual story of the character's interactions with the people and world around them as they change the people and world around while the character themselves are not changed. Said characters don't need to change because they inherently have the correct path already laid out in their hearts and minds. Does this sound familiar?

It should because that describes Mario characters to a T. Flat Character Arcs are perfect for franchises that need to last a long time, and the Mario series has done so. There are different types of Flat Character Arcs, as not all of them are good guys. Bowser is an example of a Negative Flat Character, where Mario is his Positive counterpart. With this in mind, it should be important to show that Geno falls very much in line with the others in the Mario cast—far more than Mallow—and thus follows the same dichotomy. He already has the truth inherent in him, and thus doesn't need to undergo an arc to improve his character. His character and personality is, by its very nature, built to last. He doesn't have to grow into the position of a Star Being that is capable of gathering the Star pieces. Nor does he have to gather the star pieces to prove himself to the higher authority he mentions. He's just there to do his job, and he does it well.

Now, on a completely separate but casual note, there's something I'd like people to remember:

Geno cameo'd in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, an RPG that came out years after SMRPG. Now—hypothetically speaking—if Geno wasn't a heavily requested and greatly beloved character, why would he reappear in this game of all places? Nintendo went out of their way to ask Square to use Geno as a cameo and Square said yes. Geno didn't just suddenly become popular because of a potential Smash appearance; he's always been a fan-favorite!

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I totally forgot a key factor that throws this all out; Sakurai has wanted Geno playable since Brawl. He is not why Geno isn't in. Definitely not the case here. He said that during Smash 4 while explaining his Mii costume. Then he said fan demand got him in, though he didn't note whether it was the ballot or fan polls before Brawl came out. So it could be either. I think Geno was popular among the Melee polls too?
Incorrect: Sakurai never said he wanted him in, that is misinformation.

Sakurai liked the idea of someone who had a gun for a hand and the moveset potential behind it. Not only do we have both Samus and D. Samus, but we now have Megaman and Mii Gunner in addition to this. It's entirely possible Sakurai got the moveset he wanted out of the idea and is no longer passionate to bring it to life, meaning he no longer has interest in Geno. It would also make more sense to why Geno keeps getting the shaft when others are allowed through the Smashingly Pearly Gates: we got a Mii Costume for Mii Gunner because Sakurai had already made the moveset and this not only gave us Geno fans some acknowledgement but also technically fit his original claim in a way, and making Geno a Spirit not only fits with his lore but once again shows that we are being acknowledged, even if we are unhappy about how they are going about it.

Now here we are back at DLC time for the biggest Smash game that ever was and likely ever will be, and with all the other big choices at NoJ's and Sakurai's fingertips, what makes us truly think Geno still has a chance? I know this sounds negative, but people like to bring up that Sakurai loves this or that and now it's in Smash, but Sakurai never said he loved Geno and I don't recall him saying much about SMRPG in general.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I still think the walling out of spinoff characters is a good idea, as nice as it would be to have them in. Again, it stops certain series from being too dominant and/or erratic.
That and I'm also mad that Nintendo ignores the Wario characters in the spinoffs. They deserve some extended Mario love, too!!
Me too, though at least Mario character options for Smash are finally starting to shrink (main/secondary ones, anyway, I imagine Sakurai would have trouble picking other enemies that can actually work besides HAMMER TIME).
It's less ignoring and more of that annoying habit of not feeling okay about using other people's stuff (out of respect, presumably). If it weren't for Koizumi and Odyssey, Pauline would have gone back into the character vault after the Mario Vs. DK series ended.
I do wonder if Pauline would be classified as DK or Mario franchise tho, if the former it would be an easy deal. But she probably would be Peach more echo as well.

DK and Wario games are less like considered "Mario's spinoffs" in the way how those games work independently. Just still it feels like DK gets more treats than Wario series more in both Mario sport games and Smash bros.

Pure spin-off character. Not even a contest. He's even less important story-wise than Geno. And like Daisy, only got in because they could be based off another character. Dr. Mario might've had music going for him at best. But nothing else otherwise.

There was never a silly "main game only" restriction to begin with. Again, as noted, Dr. Mario proves that to be a load of hogwash. He's 100% spin-off and nothing more. Daisy, as I said above, had the same position; easy to create as playable due to being a clone. Only difference is Dr. Mario's music also held a bit of importance to Sakurai..
Dr Mario is a difficult case to argue with, as same as Toon Link and Sheik who only serve as alteregos, not own characters, their existence would only be additional to the main characters. The more arguable is issue is rather how much fans want to see those alteregos remain or whether they could be trade with slots for new fighters.

Ultimately, as mentinoed in #28,804, the issue is always that Mario series focus on Super Mario the platformers over the rest types of games and we hardly see the RPGs and sport games give reverse reflections on the mainstream titles. Characters that only stay in canons outside Super Mario games also rarely fit in most cases when it comes to major spotlights. Waluigim unitl today is still the only known main Mario character to be the special exception.

I am sure the whole #28,804 post has answered that.

If they want Geno, they'll figure out a way to add Geno.
Well, I agree it comes to whether Nintendo really want it for now. Judging by the fact of Geno's absence in almost every video game, out primary assumption is, they don't really do.

It looks like there's no way to change your view, which is fine. Geno's not the main character of his franchise, correct, but he is a main character of the game he starred in. .
Besides that, Geno is a major character in the story. Among the 5 protagonists, only Peach actually holds no real story significance, and even she got SMRPG references in Melee(where do you think the Frying Pan first originated as one of her tools?).
I just go straight here, Every one-off character has the spotlight within their own story, and outside the story, they don't. As you already tell, Peach, Bowser and Mario are the important ones in every single story, which is why they're already the ones to represent SMRPG in the first place over Geno.

I think in this thread it's frequently mentinoed that Geno's great likability, popularity and potential is the common reason why he is requested. But not that he is the only one Mario character that once play a important roles in a single story. Of course aside from Mallow, I may to name more than thirty Mario characters with the same trait, and also more than sixty characters from KIrby, Zelda and FE series that has similiar experience like him.

I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?".
When the result is fair enough in an objective view, not specific biased fanbase view, I think most of the options work well so far. Taking care of the classic titles and miscellaneous franchises in order to balance out the dominant major franchises is ultimately a good thing.

Waluigi at least is more defining of Mario spinoffs than Daisy. I mean, he was literally created for Mario Tennis. I'd argue he was way more worthy than Daisy.
Only assume that Daisy is not an echo but more original character, just overall both are recurring, and Daisy may win for that her histroy is abit longer than him. She and Wario techincially existed before SMRPG came out.

The main issue of Waluigi is that his role is unclear in mainstream titles. He is not Wario's business partner in game makings, he has no role when Mushroom Kingdom is in another crisis, not to mention in DK games. Daisy is in the same role as Peach, damsel in distress, then a potential ally lately. Only when Nintendo really try to push Waluigi could we know what kind of role, story and identity Waluigi owns outside the sport games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do wonder if Pauline would be classified as DK or Mario franchise tho, if the former it would be an easy deal. But she probably would be Peach more echo as well.
Definitely Mario, seeing as the few Mario Vs. DK songs to make it in Ultimate are classified as such. Top billing, most likely.

And I doubt they'll give her the echo treatment, seeing as she got to show up in a major 3D Mario platformer, plus has a very long history to pull stuff from to make up a moveset. Heck, they could even ignore that and have said moveset be music-based.

Plus we still don't know how her skillset is like for Mario Tennis Aces, so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Pauline would more then likely have a music based moveset. Her personality and movements are nowhere near Peach so she would make a terrible echo.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Now, on a completely separate but casual note, there's something I'd like people to remember:
Geno cameo'd in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, an RPG that came out years after SMRPG.
Because this is already a closed case for that this was removed in the remake version due to known copyright issue, ensuring that without permissions Mario games might not be able to use Geno in any place.

The point we should focus on is Geno still didn't make a physical appearance. We know M&L series is kinda continuous in its own storytelling, just unfortunately it wasn't made to be a direct sequel to SMRPG in its canon. As mentioned, for some reason Nintendo do not want to compose a series of story across multiple game titles like KingdomHearts is, especially Paper series, despite the canon might connect each other, each story is still enclosed within a game title.

I assume there was still some kind of possibility that Geno could had been given some physical roles in the initial story of M&L, just for some reason Maekawa eventually decides it to be a brand new story focus on different locations.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Because this is already a closed case for that this was removed in the remake version due to known copyright issue, ensuring that without permissions Mario games might not be able to use Geno in any place.

The point we should focus on is Geno still didn't make a physical appearance. We know M&L series is kinda continuous in its own storytelling. But as mentioned, for some reason Nintendo do not want to compose a series of story across multiple game titles like KingdomHearts is, especially Paper series, despite the canon might connect each other, each story is still enclosed within a game title.

I assume there was still some kind of possibility that Geno could had been given some physical roles in the initial story of M&L, just for some reason Maekawa eventually decides it to be a brand new story focus on different locations.
Basically, they (most likely Miyamoto, let's not kid ourselves) want Mario games to be accessible enough to not confuse newcomers with continuity. Fawful's role was the exception that isn't the rule, since his popularity is that big. Heck, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was made specifically to be standalone from the first one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't believe I forgot to bring this article up:

https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros

Sakurai: "I’m actually not paying too much focus on the surprise element when we introduce a new fighter. The surprise element quickly fades once the announcement has been made.

Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?"

Sakurai specifically states here that balance is important to the game, and that not all fighters are the same kind.

There is no "rule" that fighters have to be of the same kind.

You made me realize how stupid of a move it was lmao.

But no. **** that.
What does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom